PDA

View Full Version : Wanna see a well coached team?

keyofgmen
12-05-2011, 04:39 PM
May seem trivial, but on the Kickoff after Giants tied, the ball was caught only 1-2 yards into endzone. Any other time the return guy would have brought it out. You just know he was told that if the ball was AT ALL in the endzone, down it. No risk of fumble...put the ball in Rogers hands. Rest is history.

burier
12-05-2011, 04:40 PM
Its not that seems trivial.

It is trivial

mikeq672
12-05-2011, 04:42 PM
May seem trivial, but on the Kickoff after Giants tied, the ball was caught only 1-2 yards into endzone. Any other time the return guy would have brought it out. You just know he was told that if the ball was AT ALL in the endzone, down it. No risk of fumble...put the ball in Rogers hands. Rest is history.

When you have the best QB on the planet, its common sense.

fletch842
12-05-2011, 04:44 PM
I thought it was as much about retaining time on the clock as well.

TuckYou
12-05-2011, 04:46 PM
Well, its not that hard to make that choice when you have the greatest QB of the year and best offense to move the ball against a defense that is ranked 28th out of 32 teams in yardage given up.</P>

Be honest, how many of you were really happy we scored with 58 seconds left... I know I was like, Rodgers is winning this if we make the 2 pointer. There wasnt a doubt in my mind unfortunately. But if the table was turned and Eli got the ball with 58 seconds left, I would of loved our chances. </P>

Gmen2005
12-05-2011, 04:56 PM
Thanks Mike Francesa [:P]

keyofgmen
12-05-2011, 05:00 PM
Thanks Mike Francesa* [:P]

No please! I can't stand that guy! Quick... erase the thread!

pino
12-05-2011, 05:11 PM
That's really common sense in football IMO.

Just like you don't leave a minute on the game clock when you have the ball with 3:30 seconds to go. It doesn't matter if it was Brady, Stafford, or Dave Brown. You tie the game as close to :01 as possible.

ESPECIALLY if they only need a FG to win. That's what's really crazy. That's WAAAY too much time to set up a FG.

Like it or not folks, Gilbride and Eli blew that one by not managing the clock. Eli should really know better too. He would LOVE to try and win the game with :58 seconds left.

Redeyejedi
12-05-2011, 05:21 PM
That's really common sense in football IMO. Just like you don't leave a minute on the game clock when you have the ball with 3:30 seconds to go. It doesn't matter if it was Brady, Stafford, or Dave Brown. You tie the game as close to :01 as possible. ESPECIALLY if they only need a FG to win. That's what's really crazy. That's WAAAY too much time to set up a FG. Like it or not folks, Gilbride and Eli blew that one by not managing the clock. Eli should really know better too. He would LOVE to try and win the game with :58 seconds left.Im sure they would of if they only neede an extra point to tie.They needed a 2 point conversion.If u miss u need time on the clock

da_mane_man
12-05-2011, 05:33 PM
taking a knee there is NOT a given. any returner in the league thinks he can run anything back for a td. you see returners make bad decisions back there all the time and bring the ball out from 8 yards deep. that was very SPECIFIC coaching and it was GOOD coaching. i guarantee you the majority of returners would have taken that ball out.

it's the little and seemingly obvious things that count when it comes to coaching. sometimes guys have to be reminded of things that should be second nature... like waiting to see if the ball is actually kicked deep before turning to run (hello SF game).

good job by the packers coaching staff yesterday.

keyofgmen
12-05-2011, 06:07 PM
taking a knee there is NOT a given. any returner in the league thinks he can run anything back for a td. you see returners make bad decisions back there all the time and bring the ball out from 8 yards deep. that was very SPECIFIC coaching and it was GOOD coaching. i guarantee you the majority of returners would have taken that ball out.

it's the little and seemingly obvious things that count when it comes to coaching. sometimes guys have to be reminded of things that should be second nature... like waiting to see if the ball is actually kicked deep before turning to run (hello SF game).

good job by the packers coaching staff yesterday.

My point exactly.

Manning2Niks
12-05-2011, 06:27 PM

Just like you don't leave a minute on the game clock when you have the ball with 3:30 seconds to go. It doesn't matter if it was Brady, Stafford, or Dave Brown. You tie the game as close to :01 as possible.

ESPECIALLY if they only need a FG to win. That's what's really crazy. That's WAAAY too much time to set up a FG.

Like it or not folks, Gilbride and Eli blew that one by not managing the clock. Eli should really know better too. He would LOVE to try and win the game with :58 seconds left.

You're **** -ing kidding right?

Gilbride AND Eli blew that one? Let alone the fact that Gilbride DID NOT blow that one, how Eli gets lumped into that is beyond me.

Id love to quote an alternate universe where we milk the clock and blow the 2 point conversion where Gilbride and Eli blew it by not scoring when we had the chance.

Unbelievable. YOU SCORE WHEN YOU CAN. You don't get cute. If we milk it and the clock runs out before we get a 4th down play then what?

Its common football knowledge not to pass up a score.

And OP is dead on. I said the EXACT same thing when he kneeled it. Good play. Good coaching. He takes that out he takes time, possibly yardage (and even possibly a possession) from green bay. A well coached team makes that play EVERY time.

A lot of guys try to be a hero there forgetting they're not Sproles.

NYG 5
12-05-2011, 07:14 PM

No, you score and play some ****ing defense. You don't slow yourself down, because at that point you've got the play not to lose mentality.

Keep in mind, it took the packers a whole 20 seconds to get into field goal range. Then the sleepwalked to the FG attempt.

TroyArcher
12-05-2011, 07:16 PM
I was usrprised they did that. He is a dangerous returner who almost returned one earlier in the game. It worked out for them.