PDA

View Full Version : THE OFFICIAL NOMINATE CHASE BLACKBURN FOR MLB THREAD

GGTM_1977
02-23-2012, 09:55 AM
Flame if you want......but I feel Chase should be starting MLB next season. This guy plays his heart out, leaves it all on the field, and all people can do is brush off his performance and come up with all the negatives about him talent/physicality wise. You people are ridiculous! Will Chase ever be a Patrick Willis....no of course not, but how many really exceptional MLBs are their in the league of that caliber? Somebody throw up a list of the 32 starting MLBs in the league and rank them......I would love see where each player falls. Obviously guys like Willis and Ray Lewis would be at the top......but lets see the others

FBomb
02-23-2012, 09:56 AM
I love Chase but we can do better. A LOT better. Heart can only take you so far.

tonyt830
02-23-2012, 10:01 AM
I appreciate all that Chase has given to our team. I would like to see him kept for depth, especially with Goff coming off the knee surgery and Jones unproven so far.

The only 3 down LB that I like in the draft this year is Keuchly. Hightower is a 1st rd prospect, but may only be a 2 down LB.

But thats ok I guess, since the Giants can bring Boley and Williams in on passing downs.

Kruunch
02-23-2012, 10:07 AM
I like Chase coming off the bench and on ST.

I don't think he holds up well for a whole season starting at MLB.

Would rather see Boley or Goff in that spot (more Boley than Goff).

MikeIsaGiant
02-23-2012, 10:27 AM
Oh come on, so Blackburn is the best MLB now?

We can do better than him, but I do give a lot of credit. He's great for depth.

Itlan
02-23-2012, 10:30 AM
Keep him around, just so he doesn't have to go back to teaching.

GGTM_1977
02-23-2012, 10:33 AM
Oh come on, so Blackburn is the best MLB now?

We can do better than him, but I do give a lot of credit. He's great for depth.

NEVER said he was the best......but he is a good fit for the team. We can do better yes I agree, but for right now I am pretty pleased with what he gives us. I am curious what dom people feel is Chase's most glaring weakness?

FBomb
02-23-2012, 10:37 AM
Oh come on, so Blackburn is the best MLB now? We can do better than him, but I do give a lot of credit. He's great for depth. NEVER said he was the best......but he is a good fit for the team. We can do better yes I agree, but for right now I am pretty pleased with what he gives us. I am curious what dom people feel is Chase's most glaring weakness?</P>

Not sure what "dom people" is but Chase's most glaring weakness is lack of speed.</P>

burier
02-23-2012, 10:58 AM
according to many our defensive scheme actually requires no talent at the linebacker position.

Therefore I say keep Chase at Mike, Trade Boley for a 3rd and play Da'Real Scott (Speed) and Tyler Sash (hard hitter) at Sam and WIll.

MikeIsaGiant
02-23-2012, 11:07 AM
Oh come on, so Blackburn is the best MLB now? We can do better than him, but I do give a lot of credit. He's great for depth. NEVER said he was the best......but he is a good fit for the team. We can do better yes I agree, but for right now I am pretty pleased with what he gives us. I am curious what dom people feel is Chase's most glaring weakness?</P>

Not sure what "dom people" is but Chase's most glaring weakness is lack of speed.</P>

"do people" I think he meant, and agree with that weakness. It's pretty obvious

TuckYou
02-23-2012, 11:40 AM
I love Chase but we can do better. A LOT better. Heart can only take you so far.</P>

Bingo.</P>

https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR5-MVD9144T8M8fhdWzRqYBI7TSd7EN29A_msDTlsBiqubAA8t</P>

Chase is awesome, but he isnt a beast. He was a vital part to the 2011 season and getting us a ring, and no one can take that away from him, or his 2007 ring, but if a better LB comes along, Im all for it. </P>

Chase is a bit too slow out there. He is stiff. Watch the play where Brady hits Hernandez for the 2nd TD. Chase totally whiffs and couldnt turn around fast enough to get into position. A faster, quicker LB gets Hernandez. He kind of gave up at the end of it too.</P>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFqXuw9rQNw</P>

Again, not ripping Chase, I love the dude, but we could get a better LB in there and it would help big time. </P>

</P>

FBomb
02-23-2012, 11:43 AM

"do people" I think he meant, and agree with that weakness. It's pretty obvious</P>

So was my sarcasm.[:)]</P>

TuckYou
02-23-2012, 11:49 AM
Also, there was a reason he was pulled off a couch later in the season. If Herzlich doesnt get hurt, I dont think Chase comes back IMO. Herzlich is pretty much = to Chase without expirience though. Herz, if he stays healthy and continues to battle back from cancer, would be much better then Chase at MLB

GGTM_1977
02-23-2012, 12:29 PM
I love Chase but we can do better.* A LOT better.* Heart can only take you so far.</P>

Bingo.</P>

https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR5-MVD9144T8M8fhdWzRqYBI7TSd7EN29A_msDTlsBiqubAA8t</P>

Chase is awesome, but he isnt a beast. He was a vital part to the 2011 season and getting us a ring, and no one can take that away from him, or his 2007 ring, but if a better LB comes along, Im all for it. </P>

Chase is a bit too slow out there. He is stiff. Watch the play where Brady hits Hernandez for the 2nd TD. Chase totally whiffs and couldnt turn around fast enough to get into position. A faster, quicker LB gets Hernandez. He kind of gave up at the end of it too.</P>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFqXuw9rQNw</P>

Again, not ripping Chase, I love the dude, but we could get a better LB in there and it would help big time. </P>

*</P>

Heres the thing. IF we draft a LBer for this spot, it will take some time for that person to get up to speed. It will take time for any of the young LBers we have to get up to snuff. Chase knows this defense, and yes he is slow, but so is Kiwi. Thats why when we play teams with good TEs, we should be using Boley and JWill. Also we can't afford some high priced FA for MLB, and honestly even if we could, it doesn't mean that guy comes in and immediately becomes like the next Patrick Willis or Ray Lewis. Our LBer core in general is very raw, and inexperienced. Goff is//was good, but to say better than Chase.......I wouldn't go that far. They are maybe equal. Who is the last good LBer drafted for MLB that stands out to you?

GreenZone
02-23-2012, 01:10 PM
Can the intangibles of the understanding of the defense and where people should be lined up that both Chase and Boley possess be quantified? As much as his play, if Chase is able to make many other players a bit better on each play by calling the correct alignment and pointing out vital information in huddles, who's to say that doesn't collectively equal the ability of one Lawrence Taylor type player?

That's not to say that Chase adds that much to the game in the knowledge area, but some anecdotal evidence would suggest that the team defense pre and post Chase were the difference between night and day. Is his knowledge, in addition to his abilities, a contributing factor?

It is any wonder that Chase was a teacher when not playing? He's certainly got a future as a coach.

TuckYou
02-23-2012, 01:18 PM
Can the intangibles of the understanding of the defense and where people should be lined up that both Chase and Boley possess be quantified? As much as his play, if Chase is able to make many other players a bit better on each play by calling the correct alignment and pointing out vital information in huddles, who's to say that doesn't collectively equal the ability of one Lawrence Taylor type player?

That's not to say that Chase adds that much to the game in the knowledge area, but some anecdotal evidence would suggest that the team defense pre and post Chase were the difference between night and day. Is his knowledge, in addition to his abilities, a contributing factor?

It is any wonder that Chase was a teacher when not playing? He's certainly got a future as a coach.
</P>

Very ture. He helped out in already knowing the system and playing better then rookies like Herzlich and Jones. He did help line up people that were out there, like Boley did. BUT you are forgetting the other contributing factor in our defensive improvement around that time, and that was the health of our dline. Once Osi and Tuck were back to themselves, the D was back. </P>

Kase-1
02-23-2012, 01:21 PM
I dont want him starting, but I dont want him leaving our team. Chase is a great Giant, he does whatever we ask of him, he's an ace on ST, and can come off of the bench and be a blessing for us at SAM and MIKE, hell he can play any of the 3 LB spots better than most depth players in the NFL.

I think he knows he isnt gonna get big money anywhere in the NFL, he might as well stay with the team he earned 2 Super Bowl rings with..... I fee like we'll give him a decent offer, not a starting offer, but a decent offer none the less

TuckYou
02-23-2012, 01:35 PM
Heres the thing. IF we draft a LBer for this spot, it will take some time for that person to get up to speed. It will take time for any of the young LBers we have to get up to snuff. Chase knows this defense, and yes he is slow, but so is Kiwi. Thats why when we play teams with good TEs, we should be using Boley and JWill. Also we can't afford some high priced FA for MLB, and honestly even if we could, it doesn't mean that guy comes in and immediately becomes like the next Patrick Willis or Ray Lewis. Our LBer core in general is very raw, and inexperienced. Goff is//was good, but to say better than Chase.......I wouldn't go that far. They are maybe equal. Who is the last good LBer drafted for MLB that stands out to you?</P>

My opinion, is Goff is a lot better then Chase. Goff started coming into his own before his injury. He was progressing and looking great. </P>

Last LB we drafted period that had a big impact I can think of was... lets see...</P>

Round - Player</P>

4-Phillip Dillard miss
6-Adrian Tracy miss
2-Clint Sintim miss
4-Bryan Kehl miss
5-Jon Goff, not enough
4-Zak DeOssie, special teamer
3-Gerris Wilkerson miss
5-Nick Geison, lol miss
6-Wesley Mallard miss
7-Quincey Monk miss</P>

Thats since 2002... lets go back further

4-Brandon Short, may have something on that one (2000)
6-Dhani Jones, there it is... (2000)
7-OJ Childress? Who? (1999)
3- Ryan Phillips, nope (1997)
4-Pete Monte, haha miss (97)
6-Doug Coleman / Scott Galyan, who? (96)
4-Ben Tally, miss (95)
3-Marcus Buckley (93)
5-Tommy Thigpin (93)
8-Jesse Armstead (93) and BOOM goes the dynomite. </P>

So since 1986 (After the Pepper Johnson 2nd round pick) the Giants have drafted a ton of LBs and missed on practically ALL of them. Jesse Armstead in 1993 in the 8th round is the last great LB we hit on. Dhani Jones and Brandon Shortin 2000 are the only others that have amounted to anything. Crazy huh?

</P>

GGTM_1977
02-23-2012, 01:44 PM
Heres the thing. IF we draft a LBer for this spot, it will take some time for that person to get up to speed. It will take time for any of the young LBers we have to get up to snuff. Chase knows this defense, and yes he is slow, but so is Kiwi. Thats why when we play teams with good TEs, we should be using Boley and JWill. Also we can't afford some high priced FA for MLB, and honestly even if we could, it doesn't mean that guy comes in and immediately becomes like the next Patrick Willis or Ray Lewis. Our LBer core in general is very raw, and inexperienced. Goff is//was good, but to say better than Chase.......I wouldn't go that far. They are maybe equal. Who is the last good LBer drafted for MLB that stands out to you?</P>

My opinion, is Goff is a lot better then Chase. Goff started coming into his own before his injury. He was progressing and looking great. </P>

Last LB we drafted period that had a big impact I can think of was... lets see...</P>

Round - Player</P>

4-Phillip Dillard miss
6-Adrian Tracy miss
2-Clint Sintim miss
4-Bryan Kehl miss
5-Jon Goff, not enough
3-Gerris Wilkerson miss
5-Nick Geison, lol miss
6-Wesley Mallard miss
7-Quincey Monk miss</P>

4-Ben Tally, miss (95)
3-Marcus Buckley (93)
5-Tommy Thigpin (93)

So since 1986 (After the Pepper Johnson 2nd round pick) the Giants have drafted a ton of LBs and missed on practically ALL of them. Jesse Armstead in 1993 in the 8th round is the last great LB we hit on. Dhani Jones and Brandon Short*in 2000 are the only others that have amounted to anything. Crazy huh?

</P>

That is an eye opener.....but I was actually asking in the entire league, what LB drafted to play MLB has become that big of a playmaker/leader/difference maker within the last say 10 yrs?

Kase-1
02-23-2012, 01:51 PM
Heres the thing. IF we draft a LBer for this spot, it will take some time for that person to get up to speed. It will take time for any of the young LBers we have to get up to snuff. Chase knows this defense, and yes he is slow, but so is Kiwi. Thats why when we play teams with good TEs, we should be using Boley and JWill. Also we can't afford some high priced FA for MLB, and honestly even if we could, it doesn't mean that guy comes in and immediately becomes like the next Patrick Willis or Ray Lewis. Our LBer core in general is very raw, and inexperienced. Goff is//was good, but to say better than Chase.......I wouldn't go that far. They are maybe equal. Who is the last good LBer drafted for MLB that stands out to you?</p>

My opinion, is Goff is a lot better then Chase. Goff started coming into his own before his injury. He was progressing and looking great. </p>

Last LB we drafted period that had a big impact I can think of was... lets see...</p>

Round - Player</p>

4-Phillip Dillard miss
6-Adrian Tracy miss
2-Clint Sintim miss
4-Bryan Kehl miss
5-Jon Goff, not enough
3-Gerris Wilkerson miss
5-Nick Geison, lol miss
6-Wesley Mallard miss
7-Quincey Monk miss</p>

4-Ben Tally, miss (95)
3-Marcus Buckley (93)
5-Tommy Thigpin (93)
8-Jesse Armstead (93) and BOOM goes the dynomite. </p>

So since 1986 (After the Pepper Johnson 2nd round pick) the Giants have drafted a ton of LBs and missed on practically ALL of them. Jesse Armstead in 1993 in the 8th round is the last great LB we hit on. Dhani Jones and Brandon Shortin 2000 are the only others that have amounted to anything. Crazy huh?

</p>YIKES!!!!

I didnt realize that....

BTW, Dhani Jones is now on the Travel Channel, LOL

Delicreep
02-23-2012, 02:01 PM
It would be foolish to not bring Chase into camp and see if/where he fits in, but it would be just as foolish to put him down as a starter right now.

I think there is a good chance his strongest assets, between his ears and heart, gets him something.

gmen0820
02-23-2012, 02:05 PM
We can definitely do better than Blackburn, but we have so much talent on defense that just didn't show up and would occasionally lay an egg, until Blackburn came back.

Did Blackburn's talent bring that out? Uh, no. Did Blackburn's motor/enthusiasm/heart help bring it out? I think so. Clearly, it is not a sound argument, but it's just my opinion.

TuckYou
02-23-2012, 02:06 PM

Round - Player</P>

4-Phillip Dillard miss
6-Adrian Tracy miss
2-Clint Sintim miss
4-Bryan Kehl miss
5-Jon Goff, not enough
3-Gerris Wilkerson miss
5-Nick Geison, lol miss
6-Wesley Mallard miss
7-Quincey Monk miss</P>

4-Ben Tally, miss (95)
3-Marcus Buckley (93)
5-Tommy Thigpin (93)

</P>

That is an eye opener.....but I was actually asking in the entire league, what LB drafted to play MLB has become that big of a playmaker/leader/difference maker within the last say 10 yrs?</P>

Oh, with that said,

1-Rolando McClain
2-Brandon Spikes
7-Jamar Chaney
Brian Cushing
James Laurenaitis
1-Jerod Mayo
2-Curtis Lofton
1-Patrick Willis
1-Jon Beason
2-Paul Posluzney
2- David Harris
2-Demeco Ryans
2-DeQuell Jackson

</P>

GGTM_1977
02-23-2012, 02:30 PM
Exactly how GOOD does our MLB need to be? Does he have to fit a Patrick Willis type mold? We have alot of positions that could be taken up by a better player.....I don't see people complaining that we need a Revis type CB in the secondary, or an Ed Reed type at safety. Chase should get more love........I almost wish another team would swoop in and give him a shot at a starting LBer spot for more $$$ with the way he is treated on these boards......"sorry Chase you are just good enough for depth/backup role"

Toadofsteel
02-23-2012, 02:45 PM
I think Chase is a great defensive signal-caller (like Eli is on offense). Definitely keep him for depth and ST play. Or start transitioning him into a LBers coach.

The main problem affecting his speed is that he's old. He was released in the beginning of 2011 after being essentially a career ST for the giants. Still, he's got the intelligence that your average LBer needs.