PDA

View Full Version : Will James Brewer Be Ready To Contribute in 2012?

RonJon
02-23-2012, 10:20 AM
Guy is massive, but was considered soft coming out of the draft. Did not get on the field at all this year but I wonder if he made strides this year in practice. Curious to see where he fits on the O Line next season. Don't see any reason why Petrus doesn't start next season either

Kruunch
02-23-2012, 10:24 AM
That's the million dollar question.

jhamburg
02-23-2012, 12:47 PM
Guy is massive, but was considered soft coming out of the draft. Did not get on the field at all this year but I wonder if he made strides this year in practice. Curious to see where he fits on the O Line next season. Don't see any reason why Petrus doesn't start next season either

I can't think of a rookie OL that played much for the Giants. Beatty saw the field a little I think mainly as a TE his rookie season. Either way I wouldn't read much into that.

TheEnigma
02-23-2012, 12:52 PM
The Giants took him knowing full well that he was a project player of sorts to work with. His technique was raw but learning from one of the best OL coaches and watching for a year should help this kid. I think he starts and does better than Kmac's 2011 season.

Kase-1
02-23-2012, 01:17 PM
All I know about the guy is that he's MASSIVE at 6'6 323lbs, played at Indiana and faced some decent competition like Ohio St, Michigan, Iowa, Wisc, Penn State, and Virginia in his time at Indy

I also found this <font color="#000000" face="Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif" size="-2">2010:
Received honorable mention All-Big Ten from the league's coaches and
media ...Started nine games at right tackle ... missed three games with
an ankle injury ... front five shared 15th nationally surrendering 1.0
sack per game ... offensive line allowed one sack per 42.8 pass
attempts, which led the Big Ten ... Brewer allowed just two sacks on the
year. </font><font color="#000000" face="Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif" size="-2">2009:
Started all 12 games at right tackle ... offensive line allowed just 16
sacks on the season, a total that ranked second in the Big Ten and
shared 28th nationally</font><font color="#000000" face="Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif" size="-2">-nfldraftscout.com (http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=76559&amp;draftyear=2011&amp;genpos=OT)

James Brewer Draft Profile (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X01sxTrZZY&amp;feature=player_embedded#%21)
</font>

nycsportzfan
02-23-2012, 01:41 PM
The Giants took him knowing full well that he was a project player of sorts to work with. His technique was raw but learning from one of the best OL coaches and watching for a year should help this kid. I think he starts and does better than Kmac's 2011 season. I was actually hoping we took James Brewer in RD 4, and was actually surprised he was still on the board at that time.. Hes got great size, and a ton of potential, given alittle time to sharpen up that technique and learn the pro game.. I still think we need to bring in anotehr OT, simply because we need the depth, and its always good to offer up a guy some competiton instead of just handing em the job.. But Brewer has a chance to be really really good...

PRFan
02-23-2012, 03:59 PM
I hope he's ready.
My starting OL looks like this:
Beatty, Boothe, Bass, Snee, Brewer. K-Mack gone.
Diehl vet-min as a back.
Petrus back up too.
Draft, f/a someone.

nygsb42champs
02-23-2012, 05:21 PM
Not a clue if he ready. Considering he did not get 1 offensive snap I would say he still has a way to go to be ready.

titwio
02-23-2012, 05:31 PM
Not a clue if he ready. Considering he did not get 1 offensive snap I would say he still has a way to go to be ready.

The Giants didn't really dominate any teams this year where he could see some garbage time snaps but I don't think anyone here expected him to get reps this year anyway. There really was no way he was going to get any playing time over guys like K-Mac, Beatty or Diehl.

I think he was brought in to be Kareem's successor and the way K-Mac looked this season I'd say it won't be long till he's the next man out.

PRFan
02-23-2012, 06:52 PM
He wasn't even active for most of not all the games so he wouldn't go in even in a blow out...and you don't put someone not prepared to test him out and see if he doesn't kill your QB.
Now I have faith because Linval Joseph was the same on his rookie year. Always on the non-active list. Second year, he was a beast!

RoanokeFan
02-23-2012, 07:03 PM

The team likes to develop players like Brewer. Obviously no one here can answer your question as none of us have seen him in practice. But we can use Boothe as an example of how well the development process works here.

We should pay attention to him in pre-season

titwio
02-23-2012, 07:22 PM
He wasn't even active for most of not all the games so he wouldn't go in even in a blow out...and you don't put someone not prepared to test him out and see if he doesn't kill your QB.
Now I have faith because Linval Joseph was the same on his rookie year. Always on the non-active list. Second year, he was a beast!

It was the same scenario for Linval. He wasn't going to get playing time over guys like Canty, Cofield and Bernard in his rookie season especially given the contracts some of those guys had....Brewer not dressing did not mean he was not prepared.

nycsportzfan
02-23-2012, 07:30 PM

The team likes to develop players like Brewer. Obviously no one here can answer your question as none of us have seen him in practice. But we can use Boothe as an example of how well the development process works here.

We should pay attention to him in pre-season
well thats the thing, people get down on people so quickly if there not on the field right away, but as u said, the giants bring guys along better then most teams, because they can.. They have so many quality players, that they can really develop these young rooks and even 2nd yr players.. Brewer has a heap of talent, is the only thing i know about em.. I thought he had the look of a 2nd rd pick as a prospect last yr... He was the guy i wanted in RD 4 when we got em...

Axels15
02-23-2012, 07:55 PM
My biggest question with him is whether he can stay healthy.

He seemed to be injured pretty often during his college career.

I hate drafting injury-prone players

JJC7301
02-23-2012, 11:31 PM
I think he's going to get a real shot to win a starting position.

Voldamort
02-23-2012, 11:35 PM
That's the million dollar question.Don't count on it

buddy33
02-23-2012, 11:43 PM
Hope so. If he can fill in as their new starting RT and Beatty can stay healthy the OL may get back to it's once dominating ways. Get Boothe in there at LG.

BigBlue2010
02-24-2012, 01:55 PM
I think the important "things" are
1) the Giants cannot pencil him in without a fallback option
2) that fallback option is unlikely to be a rookie

It would be really good for the Giants to get KMac back on a reasonable contract.