PDA

View Full Version : In each of the Giants super bowl runs

Lambeau12
02-23-2012, 03:50 PM
In every Giants super bowl run even the one you lost is there any teams that you were very happy you didnt face in the playoffs or in the super bowl that would have been a threat to beat you guys? For example I am very happy the Packers didn't face the Broncos in the super bowl in 1996, instead we got the Patriots. Your thoughts on these?

bELIeve_in_Giants
02-23-2012, 03:52 PM
Saints at the Saints this year

GmenFan1980
02-23-2012, 03:55 PM
Didn't want to face the saints in this playoff run, We all see what happens to teams that go to New Orleans......They get destroyed lol

JPizzack
02-23-2012, 03:56 PM
NFC was so beastly this year, that I didn't really want to play any of the teams! lol
I am however a bit grateful that the Patriots limped into the superbowl, winning the AFCCG on a missed FG by Baltimore. Baltimore would have given us more problems defensively most likely. And then it would have been our D trying to shut down ray rice, and making sure we hit Flacco every play. So there would have been alot more going on I think.

Lambeau12
02-23-2012, 04:01 PM
I think we could of beat the Saints if we played them again up here. Them coming to Lambeau in January would have froze them out and they would have struggled offensively. I think we matchup better with them and the 49ers then the Giants anyday. We just dont matchup with New York. Also you guys are right about the Saints at home, I actually think they went undefeated at home this year.

pica01
02-23-2012, 04:12 PM
Oh,believe me when I say that every Giant fan loved the 9er's beating the Saints.Otherwise,I don't remember getting a break on other runs.Hey,winning 3 superbowls as underdog proves that.Beating 2 teams that alot of experts thought were almost unbeatable in the 91 Bill's and 07 Pat's speaks to that.Not to mention your 2011 Packers.After the reg season win you knew we were dangerous,but how shocked were Packer fans how easy the playoff win in GB was?

Pakman
02-23-2012, 04:13 PM
In the end the only teams that had a chance of beating us were teams with GREAT QB's. We faced the best defense in the playoffs in the 49ers and won.

If we faced the Ravens my confidence going into the game would of been 10x's higher.

I am glad we didn't face the Saints, but IDC WE ARE THE CHAMPS!

pica01
02-23-2012, 04:22 PM
JP.I sort of agree with you about the Ravens.It wasn't a no brainer but I preferred the Pat's given our history with them.Our offense against an average,at best,defense.Our defense against a great,but horizontal passing attack with no deep verticle threat and no running game.And to lose again to Ray Lewis,friend of murderers,would've sucked.

Lambeau12
02-23-2012, 04:22 PM
Oh,believe me when I say that every Giant fan loved the 9er's beating the Saints.Otherwise,I don't remember getting a break on other runs.Hey,winning 3 superbowls as underdog proves that.Beating 2 teams that alot of experts thought were almost unbeatable in the 91 Bill's and 07 Pat's speaks to that.Not to mention your 2011 Packers.After the reg season win you knew we were dangerous,but how shocked were Packer fans how easy the playoff win in GB was?
Very shocked. Hopefully we can avoid seeing you guys in the postseason next year. I think if we can do that we can go on a super bowl run.

pica01
02-23-2012, 04:29 PM
Hey,we beat the 49er's because of special teams.The 9er's offense isn't very good.Flacco is much better than Smith.A much bigger threat off play action with Rice.After the beating Eli took in that game,I know what his answer would be.Bring on the Pat's.

nygsb42champs
02-23-2012, 04:40 PM
It would definetly be the Saints this year.

Easy-Duz-It
02-23-2012, 06:53 PM
in all of our super bowl runs we've faced the best competition that was there. so i don't think we've dodged any bullets.....except maybe for this year. and i would say the 2011 saints at the super dome would be the answer.

miken609
02-23-2012, 07:14 PM
I didn't want any part of the pats in 07. Then we ended up beating them.. lol

swimeasy
02-23-2012, 07:30 PM
I think we could of beat the Saints if we played them again up here. Them coming to Lambeau in January would have froze them out and they would have struggled offensively. I think we matchup better with them and the 49ers then the Giants anyday. We just dont matchup with New York. Also you guys are right about the Saints at home, I actually think they went undefeated at home this year.

ITA Lambeau, although if such a match up were to have occurred between the Pack and Saints, I would have preferred to see the Saints try and deal with our mutual 2007 season playoff frozen tundra weather conditions. 2011 seemed rather tropical in comparison and the Saints should not be denied the full January venue 'experience' that Lambeau has to offer visiting teams. [;)]

NYGRealityCheck
02-23-2012, 08:23 PM
I would say the Saints woulda had trouble at home against the playoff Giants. Our defense and offense was clicking. The Saints usually falter against teams with solid defenses, even at home, but much worse when they play away, when they have a bad defense themselves.

Coughlin would have employed the same tactic in the Superbowl, long drives eating up clock, keeping Brees off the field and keeping the game close.

Can't give the Saints that much credit. Otherwise the Browns would have never upset them at N.O. last season if they just bowed down to the team before the game even started. It's all in the mind!

jomo
02-23-2012, 08:26 PM
It would definetly be the Saints this year.......Saints in New Orleans.

JMFP2
02-23-2012, 08:43 PM
It would definetly be the Saints this year.......Saints in New Orleans.</P>

Yep....that would have been almost impossible to win down there. Brees is just way too comfortable on his home carpet.</P>

NYGinIN
02-23-2012, 08:48 PM
I'm pretty much with everyone; the saints. They pretty much took it to us last season and they're pretty tough to beat at home.

NYGRealityCheck
02-23-2012, 10:01 PM
I'm sure for the 2000 Superbowl, the Giants would have loved to play the Oakland Raiders with an injured Rich Gannon after Tony Siragusa flopped on him instead of the historic defense of the Ravens...

GMen869007
02-24-2012, 12:37 AM
In '07 I didn't want to face the Patriots even though I acknowledged that if we could manage to beat them it'd be far more special than winning it against anyone else.

This year the only team I didn't want to face was the Saints, they're good for at least 40 points in that dome. I knew we matched up well with GB and SF, and even NE.

SweetZombieJesus
02-24-2012, 07:52 AM
I can only think of the Saints in the 2011 run (unfortunately we just don't match up very well with the Saints at all, every recent meeting has been a buzzsaw). Of course the big hurdle came in the divisional round against the 15-1 Packers, but I think everybody wanted another shot after the regular season loss was so close.

In 2007 Dallas beat us twice and went 13-3, so probably them but I don't think anybody was unhappy we were facing them, just knew it would be a huge hurdle beating the #1 seed in the divisonal round. Just as it was in 2011.

In 1990 the Giants and 49ers were the 800 lb gorillas in the NFC. The Giants lost a regular season matchup and the 49ers were 2x defending champs. The Giants and fans wanted the rematch, but nobody else thought they had a prayer.

In 1986 I think the big fear was the Bears. Well, not really "fear" because the 86 team was special and full of swagger, but the 85 Bears were defending champs and who knew they'd be a one hit wonder, plus the Giants were fodder for them in their 85 playoff run and had one of the most embarrassing lop-sided losses ever. Both teams went 14-2 in 1986, but the Skins upset the Bears in the divisional round. The Giants drew the 49ers and Redskins, both conference powers with recent SB wins.

Diamondring
02-24-2012, 04:32 PM
The Pats last season for the last two Superbowls. I didn't care about the Superbowl against the Ravens. Yet in that year in the playoff,s leading to that game against the Ravens, I didn't want the Giants to play against the Vikings yet the Giants won that game to get into the Superbowl against the Ravens.

For the one against the Bills, well I didn't want the Giants to play the 49ers, but the Giants beat them to get into the Superbowl against the Bills. As for the first one against the Broncos, I didn't really care because our Giants were very dominant.

NYG6timeworldchamps
02-24-2012, 08:53 PM
I remember in 2000 I didn't want them to face the Rams and the Saints took 'em out.

This year I didn't want to face the Saints in the dome.

2007 we faced all the hard teams. In 1986 we avoided the Bears but had to face skins and Niners.

Voldamort
02-24-2012, 09:32 PM
Saints at the Saints this year ALL IN the funny thing I was calling it the revenge tour so somebody needed to be left off? packers,49ers ,saints in the NFC!

Voldamort
02-24-2012, 09:47 PM
In 1986 I wish we would have beat the Bears in the playoffs! In 1990 they played they played the two best teams 49ers and Bills so no!In 2000 I wish Kerry Collins and Jim Fassel had a better game plan and a set of balls! so the Ravens D. in 2007 they played all the best teams Dallas,Packers and Pat's. Same as this year Packers,49ers and Pat's I wish they would have played the Ravens this year!!! Revenge would have been complete! F-the saints they would have beaten them two this time around team of DESTINY!

allentown PA
02-24-2012, 10:12 PM
In 86 it didnt matter they were the best team in the NFL..some will say the bears but I wish they would have played them at home for some payback...90 it didnt matter they beat the two best teams at the end SF and buffalo...07 they beat all comers as well...this year NO in the dome would have been tough but the way the giants were playing I dont know if they would of even lost that game...btw NO is a soft team away from that dome imo.

BigBlue1971
02-24-2012, 10:36 PM
It would definetly be the Saints this year.......Saints in New Orleans.</P>

Yep....that would have been almost impossible to win down there. Brees is just way too comfortable on his home carpet.</P>

</P>

</P>

these^</P>

i rooted for the 49ers hard to win their Saints game!</P>

did not wanna to to NO! </P>

NYG 5
02-24-2012, 11:23 PM
hmmm lets see

in 1986, hard to be worried about playing anybody, that was an all time defense, definite top 10 defense that year. maybe San Diego in the rose bowl would have been scary?

in 1990, if they had to play the Eagles in the postseason, the only team the Eagles could beat back then was the Giants. another hard one, they went against the defending dynasty and 2 Goats, then they went against another all time Bills team. maybe if the Bears offense didn't drop 50 passes in the divisional game, maybe that would have been the trap.

in 2000, if Tennesse hadn't given away two TDs on flukey returns, they would have went back to the super bowl. better than facing the Ravens, but the Giants historically could not beat those Titan teams. The Raiders also probably could have picked on Sehorn, since he could stop the vertical game but not quick cut receivers. plus, two mobile quarterbacks in McNair and Gannon. Assuming Collins doesn't choke again, and Fassel doesn't play prevent win, they probably could have finnessed and guessed the Raiders down to a close game, and hope Gannon gives up the critical turnover before Collins.

in 2007, well, they pretty much played the best teams in the conference, and the best team in the super bowl. they swept the Eagles, and avenged all losses in the regular season. thats really tough, since the Giants became unbeatable in the postseason. maybe they would have had trouble against a big running team, like... jeez, there weren't even any power running teams back then. they beat one of the greatest teams ever, and all the top seeded teams in the NFC. who was there to be afraid of?

and this year, the Saints obviously, they've had the Giants number since Payton came to town. if the Texans had Schaub, they could have been trouble. but again, Eli was just playing unconscious, and the defense was playing very well. i guess you would have to fear the greatest pass rushers and run stoppers, i guess you would have to fear the 49ers not being submarined by their own man

allentown PA
02-24-2012, 11:28 PM
hmmm lets see

in 1986, hard to be worried about playing anybody, that was an all time defense, definite top 10 defense that year. maybe San Diego in the rose bowl would have been scary?

in 1990, if they had to play the Eagles in the postseason, the only team the Eagles could beat back then was the Giants. another hard one, they went against the defending dynasty and 2 Goats, then they went against another all time Bills team. maybe if the Bears offense didn't drop 50 passes in the divisional game, maybe that would have been the trap.

in 2000, if Tennesse hadn't given away two TDs on flukey returns, they would have went back to the super bowl. better than facing the Ravens, but the Giants historically could not beat those Titan teams. The Raiders also probably could have picked on Sehorn, since he could stop the vertical game but not quick cut receivers. plus, two mobile quarterbacks in McNair and Gannon. Assuming Collins doesn't choke again, and Fassel doesn't play prevent win, they probably could have finnessed and guessed the Raiders down to a close game, and hope Gannon gives up the critical turnover before Collins.

in 2007, well, they pretty much played the best teams in the conference, and the best team in the super bowl. they swept the Eagles, and avenged all losses in the regular season. thats really tough, since the Giants became unbeatable in the postseason. maybe they would have had trouble against a big running team, like... jeez, there weren't even any power running teams back then. they beat one of the greatest teams ever, and all the top seeded teams in the NFC. who was there to be afraid of?

and this year, the Saints obviously, they've had the Giants number since Payton came to town. if the Texans had Schaub, they could have been trouble. but again, Eli was just playing unconscious, and the defense was playing very well. i guess you would have to fear the greatest pass rushers and run stoppers, i guess you would have to fear the 49ers not being submarined by their own man

agreed on everything u said good post but what are u talking about SD in the rose bowl..the chargers didnt even make the playoffs that year and the giants beat them in the regular season that year.

NYG 5
02-24-2012, 11:34 PM
lol like i said, its tough to find a team. the Giants have never really had a cake postseason, and 4 of the 5 teams won. i figured maybe a spread team could have been maybe a little dangerous to that defense.

allentown PA
02-24-2012, 11:38 PM
lol like i said, its tough to find a team. the Giants have never really had a cake postseason, and 4 of the 5 teams won. i figured maybe a spread team could have been maybe a little dangerous to that defense.

I can see that I guess...the bears where the only real threat that year..maybe the browns in the AFC but I doubt it..the 86 giants are a top 10 team all time imo.

Pksoze
02-26-2012, 04:27 PM
The Giants in 86,90, and 07 basically beat the best the nfl had to offer. The 2000 Giants probably would have gotten trucked by the Rams if we played them. This year the only concern was the Saints in the Super Dome. I wasn't concerned about Baltimore...they couldn't block Wilfork and were dominated by the Texans. And I think Flacco is a joke. Ray Rice was a concern but not as big as Brady. And after facing the 49ers defense...I don't think Baltimore would scare me.

jakegibbs
02-26-2012, 05:06 PM
In every Giants super bowl run even the one you lost is there any teams that you were very happy you didnt face in the playoffs or in the super bowl that would have been a threat to beat you guys? For example I am very happy the Packers didn't face the Broncos in the super bowl in 1996, instead we got the Patriots. Your thoughts on these?

Saints hands down.

Giants just don't match up with them at all. Kinda like the way the Pats don't match up with Giants.

GJRNYG
02-26-2012, 05:23 PM
Saints in New Orleans this past season.

NYG 5
02-27-2012, 01:22 AM
to be fair, the saints absolutely devour anyone who comes into the dome. the only team i can think of that actually outplayed them recently was the vikings in 2009, and they fumbled that game away.

Bohemian
02-27-2012, 01:38 AM
I have to say that the Saints was the one team that really intimidated me this season. After the 49ers got rid of them in an absolute 'once in a lifetime' performance by Alex Smith, I was much happier. San Fran's team was nice, but had no offense to scare us with, where as the Saints would have been a nightmare to deal with. On the other hand, our defense really came together by the time the playoffs rolled around, so it is impossible to say one way or another.

Other than the Saints, the Packers had a great team, but one that matched well for the Gmen.

The only way that San Fran was ever going to win that game, was if the Gmen game them the short field to make an overtime FG, because a TD was out of the question after locking up Vernon Davis in the 4th quarter.

JJC7301
02-27-2012, 01:43 AM
I guess it would be the Saints this year, but I wanted a shot at everyone who had beaten the Giants in the regular season. SF had beaten us as well, and I was happier to play them because NO was just more deadly. The Giants matched up better against SF and had almost beaten them during the season.

There was no one else the other years. In '07, I was happy to play Dallas and GB. I just like playing the best to see how the Giants match up, and if they lose, well, you can probably say that you lost to the better team.