PDA

View Full Version : THREE AND OUT: NEW YORK COULD HAVE GIANT WR OPENING

RoanokeFan
02-23-2012, 06:36 PM
THREE AND OUT: NEW YORK COULD HAVE GIANT WR OPENING (http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/02/22/three-and-out-new-york-could-have-giant-wr-opening/)

"Manningham moving on?:Not too far
removed from his big catch in Super Bowl XLVI, Giants WRMario
Manninghamis a free agent and could consider greener pastures. In such
an event, Big Blue could consider other options for a No. 3 receiver (http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/giants/post/_/id/12895/report-card-analysis-wide-receivers). Tops on the
list could beRamses Barden, who has been buried on the depth
chart but has shown some ability in very limited opportunities. Of course
there’s also the draft and the potential to select someone likeMohamed
Sanufrom nearby Rutgers. If there’s one thing we learned from watching
New York’s receivers this season, it’s that beingEli Manning’s
third option doesn’t mean being unproductive. Manningham registered 523
receiving yards and four TDs despite having his position usurped
byVictor Cruz. Keep an eye on this position battle through the
summer and into the fall — it could have some deep sleeper value depending on
who emerges victorious.
<p style="TEXT-ALIGN: left">Ravens in the WR market:After a
disappointing, injury-riddled season from Lee Evans, the Ravens are on the lookout for another receiver (http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-ravens-0222-20120221,0,4074617.story?page=2) to add to
their stable. This season’s free agent class offers quite a few choices —
fromVincent Jackson andWes Welker to
Manningham and Laurent Robinson. The value ofAnquan
BoldinandTorrey Smith could be directly impacted by
which free agent(s) decides to nest in Baltimore. Smith was a breakout star
early in the season, but lacked consistency. Meanwhile, Boldin is starting to
see age and the effects of injuries catch up to him. Adding a playmaking
receiver would be a boon toJoe Flacco and would take some of
the pressure off Ray Rice.</p>
<p style="TEXT-ALIGN: left">Henne out, Flynn in?: One big
hurdle toMatt Flynn taking over the Dolphins starting QB job
appears to be cleared. Miami says <a href="http://www.nfl.com/goto?id=09000d5d82718bb3" target="_blank">it has no plans
to offerChad Henne a contract </a>when free agency begins.
Henne’s season lasted just four games thanks to a shoulder injury that required
surgery.Matt Moore took over and had a respectable season
under center, but with new coachJoe Philbin coming over from
Green Bay, it seems all but certain that the ‘Fins will pursue Flynn as their
new signal-caller. For the sake of Brandon Marshall’s fantasy
value, most owners are hoping Flynn is moreMatt Cassel and
lessKevin Kolb."</p>

Evo'Ed
02-23-2012, 08:26 PM
Interesting that the article totally failed to mention Jerrel Jernigan.

I think the coaching staff grew more confident in the kid as we saw him return kickoffs during the playoffs and was in there for our 4WR packages too.

miked1958
02-23-2012, 09:06 PM
Also failed to talk up devin thomas

miked1958
02-23-2012, 09:09 PM
I think actually we don't need to waste a draft pick on a WR. I think between Thomas, Barden and JJ someone will step forward just like Cruz did. Even if we have to platoon them for awhile

egyptian420
02-23-2012, 09:17 PM
I think actually we don't need to waste a draft pick on a WR. I think between Thomas, Barden and JJ someone will step forward just like Cruz did. Even if we have to platoon them for awhile
Agree 100%. We're talking about a 3rd WR here, our top 2 are already amazing. You don't need 3 amazing WR's. Between Thomas/Barden/Jernigan, I'm certain someone will emerge, much like Cruz did last year.

I personally have a hunch it will be Thomas, but we shall see. Jernigan has great speed and Barden has great height. Can't wait to see what happens in training camp.

gmen46
02-23-2012, 09:30 PM

That would leave only 5 WRs. Since Coughlin's been here, most seasons he starts with at least 7 WRs on the 53, including 1 or 2 of whom are primarily used on ST (like D Thomas, for ex, who during 1 1/2 seasons with us has been a major ST contributor, not a receiver so much).

Regardless of whether any of the 3 make it as "3rd" WR, next summer, we'll still be looking to pick up 1, probably 2, WRs in draft and/or FA.

And, as much as I hate to say it, I just cannot see Hixon returning next season, or even to football at all. Missing all but a game and a half during two consecutive seasons due to 2 different knee injuries, is an awful lot to overcome. Not just physically, which is difficult enough, but that second injury has GOT to be taking a heavy emotional toll on him.

JMFP2
02-23-2012, 09:33 PM
I think we should re-sign Manningham.

VegasGmen
02-23-2012, 09:40 PM
I think actually we don't need to waste a draft pick on a WR. I think between Thomas, Barden and JJ someone will step forward just like Cruz did. Even if we have to platoon them for awhile That would leave only 5 WRs. Since Coughlin's been here, most seasons he starts with at least 7 WRs on the 53, including 1 or 2 of whom are primarily used on ST (like D Thomas, for ex, who during 1 1/2 seasons with us has been a major ST contributor, not a receiver so much). Regardless of whether any of the 3 make it as "3rd" WR, next summer, we'll still be looking to pick up 1, probably 2, WRs in draft and/or FA. And, as much as I hate to say it, I just cannot see Hixon returning next season, or even to football at all. Missing all but a game and a half during two consecutive seasons due to 2 different knee injuries, is an awful lot to overcome. Not just physically, which is difficult enough, but that second injury has GOT to be taking a heavy emotional toll on him.</P>

Good post! I can see a min vet signing as well as 1 if not 2 draft picks here to drive competition.</P>

egyptian420
02-23-2012, 09:45 PM

That would leave only 5 WRs. Since Coughlin's been here, most seasons he starts with at least 7 WRs on the 53, including 1 or 2 of whom are primarily used on ST (like D Thomas, for ex, who during 1 1/2 seasons with us has been a major ST contributor, not a receiver so much).

Regardless of whether any of the 3 make it as "3rd" WR, next summer, we'll still be looking to pick up 1, probably 2, WRs in draft and/or FA.

And, as much as I hate to say it, I just cannot see Hixon returning next season, or even to football at all. Missing all but a game and a half during two consecutive seasons due to 2 different knee injuries, is an awful lot to overcome. Not just physically, which is difficult enough, but that second injury has GOT to be taking a heavy emotional toll on him.
Unfortunately, I see it that way too. Too bad for Hixon, he was a good guy.

JJC7301
02-23-2012, 10:28 PM
Interesting that the article totally failed to mention Jerrel Jernigan.

I think the coaching staff grew more confident in the kid as we saw him return kickoffs during the playoffs and was in there for our 4WR packages too.
+1. I'm not scared about MM leaving because I'd like to see what JJ or Barden can do with the opportunity, but I wouldn't be surprised if they took a WR high in the draft.