PDA

View Full Version : Possible solution to a heavily disscused issue

rainierjef
02-23-2012, 07:31 PM
<U>SLB</U> <U>MLB</U> <U>WLB</U></P>

Jon GoffChase BlackburnMichael Boley</P>

( Jones )( Herzlich)(J.Williams) </P>

</P>

We don't need to spend a high draft pick on a reaching MLB. the best ones are gone by 32. Put Kiwi back with his hands in the Dirt on the rotation, we'll have two knowledgable signal callers in goff and blackburn. Goff can shoot gaps and protect the run very well and blackburn is an above average cover guy that just has a knack for playing MLB and he can get guys lined up and aduibled.</P>

Lets face it <FONT color=#000000>Luke Kuechlyand</FONT><FONT color=#000000>Dont'a Hightower are not gonig to be there at 32, and burficit is not our answer to MLB lets be honest about that one too; </FONT>Manti Te'o will be available next year. just saying it makes sense right now address other issues and draft a depth or asteal/bust guy in later rounds like....James-Michael Johnson in the 4th or 5th</P>

NYGRealityCheck
02-23-2012, 07:39 PM
You forgot Paysinger and Sintim...

we have a lot of LBs..Strike that... Blackburn and Goff need to be resigned first. They are both UFAs.

Zak DeOssie is also a LB, but he's mostly on special teams.

Drez
02-23-2012, 07:51 PM
You forgot Paysinger and Sintim... we have a lot of LBs..Strike that... Blackburn and Goff need to be resigned first. They are both UFAs. Zak DeOssie is also a LB, but he's mostly on special teams.</P>

DeOssie hasn't been a LB for the past 2 seasons. He's solely a LS and ST. Last I heard he doen't even attend LB meetings any longer.</P>

NYGinIN
Being entirely too lazy to look, I'm pretty sure Sintim is gone.

we have a lot of LBs..Strike that... Blackburn and Goff need to be resigned first. They are both UFAs.

NYGinIN
Ug, I did just look. You're totally right. My bad.

NYGRealityCheck
02-23-2012, 07:57 PM
You forgot Paysinger and Sintim... we have a lot of LBs..Strike that... Blackburn and Goff need to be resigned first. They are both UFAs. Zak DeOssie is also a LB, but he's mostly on special teams.</P>

DeOssie hasn't been a LB for the past 2 seasons. He's solely a LS and ST. Last I heard he doen't even attend LB meetings any longer.</P>

i agree with you. He's listed positionally as a LB on espn, wiki, and probably a bunch of other sites.
On nfl.com, cbs, and probably a bunch of other sites as well, he's listed as a LS. :>

tonyt830
02-23-2012, 08:05 PM

</P>

We don't need to spend a high draft pick on a reaching MLB. the best ones are gone by 32. Put Kiwi back with his hands in the Dirt on the rotation, we'll have two knowledgable signal callers in goff and blackburn. Goff can shoot gaps and protect the run very well and blackburn is an above average cover guy that just has a knack for playing MLB and he can get guys lined up and aduibled.</P>

Lets face it <FONT color=#000000>Luke Kuechlyand</FONT><FONT color=#000000>Dont'a Hightower are not gonig to be there at 32, and burficit is not our answer to MLB lets be honest about that one too; </FONT>Manti Te'o will be available next year. just saying it makes sense right now address other issues and draft a depth or asteal/bust guy in later rounds like....James-Michael Johnson in the 4th or 5th</P>

Agreed. I think Goff would do fine at Sam backer with Blackburn at Mike and Boley at the Will. Then on passing downs, take out Goff and Blackburn, and bring in JWill to play alongside Boley.</P>

</P>

I say keep our pass rush fierce and fresh, and add to the secondary. Like you said Kuechly and even Hightower may be gone at 32. If JamesMichael Johnson is on Jerry's radarin the 4th or 5th, so be it. I also like that Jerry Franklin backer from Arkansas, maybe in the 5th rd.</P>

</P>

First and foremost, Goff and Blackburn need to be re-signed.</P>

pica01
02-23-2012, 08:08 PM
I agree.Blackburn is our MLB.And we have 4 young LB's on the roster.And if Osi's not here next year,which unfortunately I think will happen,Kiwi moves back to his natural DE position.Thataboy Rain,give Chase some love.He's earned it.

pica01
02-23-2012, 08:27 PM
You want to take Blackburn out on passing situations?He made the only memorable LB interceptions I remember all year against Rodger's and Brady.Yeah,I know Hernandez beat him for a TD in the SB,but no MLB could cover him in that situation.Blackburn plays everydown for me.Any MLB who intercepts a pass 50 yards downfield stays on the field on my team.I've said it before,i'll say it again.I've never seen a MLB intercept a pass 50 yards downfield.It was one of the best plays I've ever seen a MLB make.No secondary help whatsoever.If ever there was a recipe for a blown coverage,this was it.Put it this way.Could you picture HOF'er Harry Carson making this play.Me neither.Probably not Harry either.Chase ain't Carson.But he's my MLB next year and beyond.That he's our best special teamer is just gravy.

rainierjef
02-23-2012, 08:31 PM
i'm talking about soild depth i dont think we go into the season with 9 LB's especially if we draft one late. so its going to be a fight for a spot between Paysinger / sintim and possibly Herz/jones. </P>

Like i said we don't need to look into FA / draft high for a LB we can build from within house putting Kiwi back in the dirt also caters too the fans that want to trade Osi. Frankly i say keep all our DE's but thats just me. </P>

tonyt830
02-23-2012, 08:36 PM
You want to take Blackburn out on passing situations?He made the only memorable LB interceptions I remember all year against Rodger's and Brady.Yeah,I know Hernandez beat him for a TD in the SB,but no MLB could cover him in that situation.Blackburn plays everydown for me.Any MLB who intercepts a pass 50 yards downfield stays on the field on my team.I've said it before,i'll say it again.I've never seen a MLB intercept a pass 50 yards downfield.It was one of the best plays I've ever seen a MLB make.No secondary help whatsoever.If ever there was a recipe for a blown coverage,this was it.Put it this way.Could you picture HOF'er Harry Carson making this play.Me neither.Probably not Harry either.Chase ain't Carson.But he's my MLB next year and beyond.That he's our best special teamer is just gravy.look at my avi---I loved that play by Blackburn in the Superbowl. But 9 times out of 10 Gronkowski makes that catch or at least does not let Blackburn get the pick. Gronkowski was not 100%. </P>

</P>

Now that said, I like the hustle and heart that Blackburn plays with. But all players have their strengths and weaknesses. Speed and coverage is not the strength of Blackburn.You scheme for certain situations. I remember when some fans went head over heels about a play that Gerris Wilkinson made 1 time against Randy Moss. </P>

RoanokeFan
02-23-2012, 08:37 PM
<u>SLB</u> <u>MLB</u> <u>WLB</u></p>

Jon GoffChase BlackburnMichael Boley</p>

( Jones )( Herzlich)(J.Williams) </p>

</p>

We don't need to spend a high draft pick on a reaching MLB. the best ones are gone by 32. Put Kiwi back with his hands in the Dirt on the rotation, we'll have two knowledgable signal callers in goff and blackburn. Goff can shoot gaps and protect the run very well and blackburn is an above average cover guy that just has a knack for playing MLB and he can get guys lined up and aduibled.</p>

Lets face it <font color="#000000">Luke Kuechlyand</font><font color="#000000">Dont'a Hightower are not gonig to be there at 32, and burficit is not our answer to MLB lets be honest about that one too; </font>Manti Te'o will be available next year. just saying it makes sense right now address other issues and draft a depth or asteal/bust guy in later rounds like....James-Michael Johnson in the 4th or 5th</p>

Goff will be the starting MLB assuming he's healthy but I'd like to see Bkackburn platoon with him for the first year, Blackburn is a good player but not so sure he's an every down starter/defensive signal caller.

RagTime Blue
02-23-2012, 08:40 PM
I agree that it's obvious we don't ABSOLUTELY have to draft a MLB early on.

But at the same time, it's not fair to say that there are no good ones at 32. There's good players up and down the draft, and in UR***ency.

We might not draft September's starter this April, but the way injuries seem to rip through this team, you never know.

pica01
02-23-2012, 08:56 PM
I get your point Tony.Williams strength,for example,is supposed to be coverage.That,however,as we saw this year doesn't translate if you blow the coverage outright.I trust Blackburn.The others,not so much.

pica01
02-23-2012, 09:02 PM
Tony-Additionally Blackburn calls the D signals and adjustments,something we've been sorely lacking effectively since A pierce went down.

rainierjef
02-23-2012, 09:04 PM
I agree that it's obvious we don't ABSOLUTELY have to draft a MLB early on.

But at the same time, it's not fair to say that there are no good ones at 32. There's good players up and down the draft, and in UR***ency.

We might not draft September's starter this April, but the way injuries seem to rip through this team, you never know.

</P>

</P>

what i meant was the best MLB wont be there at 32. would you be comfortable taking burficit at 32? </P>

JMFP2
02-23-2012, 09:06 PM

</P>

Goff will be the starting MLB assuming he's healthy but I'd like to see Bkackburn platoon with him for the first year, Blackburn is a good player but not so sure he's an every down starter/defensive signal caller.
</P>

Frankly, I'm not sold on Goff.</P>

Blackburn has proven his worth to the team....Goff is still a big question mark as far as I'm concerned.</P>

Having said that, if a quality linebacker is available in the first round, I'd be thrilled to pick one up.</P>

rainierjef
02-23-2012, 09:21 PM

</P>

</P>

</P>

there is a posibility that goff won't be full speed come camp and being off for a whole year adds rust, especially at the MLB position. i think your right blackburn is not ana every down MLB, but when have we had a base 4-3 for all 3 downs. we switch into the nickle on some downs. i think blackburn beats out goff for the MLB spot thats just me though </P>

rainierjef
02-23-2012, 09:28 PM

</P>

</P>

Frankly, I'm not sold on Goff.</P>

Blackburn has proven his worth to the team....Goff is still a big question mark as far as I'm concerned.</P>

Having said that, if a quality linebacker is available in the first round, I'd be thrilled to pick one up.</P>

</P>

who would be a quality LB for you in the First at 32?</P>

pica01
02-23-2012, 09:58 PM
Rain-we already have 4 young linebackers.With Blackburn at MLB you don't need to be sold on Goff.Or Williams,Jones or Hertz.Rookie LB's rarely step right in,especially at 32nd pick.Even top picks like the Jet's DE Golston sometimes are complete busts.I thought Goff showed real promise.Williams too.And Herzt from BC, before he got cancer,was a top rated LB.Geez,that's strange to say.Before he got cancer.But you get my point.Hertz can play.I think the Giant's see a big upside with him.As a bigtime LB.He has top 5 pick talent.When he regains physically, his top 5 form,he could be our defensive FA equivelant to Cruz.He's a really good LB.I watched him alot at BC.And I'll take him over ANY LB available at 32 in this draft.

BurnerNYG
02-24-2012, 12:18 AM
I think some of you guys are gonna get your hearts broke about who's coming back.

I like Goff and I thought he was coming on strong and was poised for a big year. I also like Blackburn and I thought he filled in perfectly... might not be the most athletic but his football smarts trumps his lack of speed.

I think J Will is gonna develop into an absolute beast... he definitely showed flashes, he just needs to trust his instincts a lil more. Boley is an excellent football player but his age is gonna start becoming a factor.

With that said, I agree with Rain and I don't think we need to be looking to draft a LBer in the 1st round for the simple fact we have plenty of depth in that department and I thought Kiwi should've went back to being a fulltime DE all year. We won the Superbowl so I'm not gonna complain.

JesseJames
02-24-2012, 10:48 AM
I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Reese doesn't draft any LBs in this draft, we have a stable of young LBers who will never get a chance to prove themselves if we keep bringing more of them. Personally I think we're OK at LBer right now, we don't have any stars and thats what we all want but I get the feeling Reese doesn't see it that way..

burier
02-24-2012, 12:52 PM
drastic over estimation of talent here. Chase Blackburn is not that answer at middle linebacker. Realistically the guy is very good depth. Goff has one year under his belt at mike and he's now a year removed from that experience end we're just gonna plug him in at Sam??? That's not gonna work. We need a real middle linebacker.

Warchild
02-24-2012, 01:08 PM
It is more like this

SLB MLB WLB

Kiwi Jon Goff Michael Boley

( Herzlich) (Chase Blackburn) (J.Williams)

( Sintim ) (Jones) (Payslinger)

with J williams moving over to SLB in passing situations...

nygsb42champs
02-24-2012, 02:06 PM
You are asking Goff to switch positions and who knows if he will be 100% healthy in time for training camp to learn this new position. You are asking alot from these guys again without adding a stud there.