PDA

View Full Version : Manningham / Giants Can't Come to Terms

Kruunch
02-24-2012, 10:38 AM
http://www.fantasysp.com/player/nfl/Mario_Manningham/2089326/manningham-prepares-to-enter-free-agency

It's being reported that MM and the Giants couldn't work out a deal so MM will indeed hit the FA market.

Not really surprising.

Voldamort
02-24-2012, 10:39 AM
NICE CATCH,MM NEXT UP!!!

gmen0820
02-24-2012, 10:42 AM
I'm sure the Giants fair offer was like 3-4 mil per year, if that.

Our only hope is that he hits the market and like Bradshaw, comes galloping home.

Then again, maybe like Derrick Ward, we don't take him back, because we have already replaced him with, say Steve Smith, or have moved on with the idea of Barden or Jernigan playing significantly more snaps.

BornBrooklyn
02-24-2012, 10:51 AM
Much success to him. Except vs Big Blue...

Joe Morrison
02-24-2012, 10:51 AM
Mario, Mario, Mario, </P>

Get your signing bonus from someone and fall into obscurity, you have a great opporutinty to play with one of the best QB's in the league along with a great supporting cast with Nicks and Cruz, but you choose be greedy, look at the others that left the GMEN looking for the Golden Goose, where are they now.</P>

Take a decent offer and be in the playoffs on a regular basis or play for a wanna be play off team.</P>

Don't understand how a player who got where they are because of the love of the game, all to turn it all away for money, I am sure the GMEN gave him a fair deal which would have set him up forever with a 4 year deal.</P>

TuckYou
02-24-2012, 10:58 AM
I think this was obvious. </P>

We have no cap room, and MM will get a big payday from a team with 40+M free. </P>

Flip Empty
02-24-2012, 11:02 AM

Get your signing bonus from someone and fall into obscurity, you have a great opporutinty to play with one of the best QB's in the league along with a great supporting cast with Nicks and Cruz, but you choose be greedy, look at the others that left the GMEN looking for the Golden Goose, where are they now.</P>

Take a decent offer and be in the playoffs on a regular basis or play for a wanna be play off team.</P>

Don't understand how a player who got where they are because of the love of the game, all to turn it all away for money, I am sure the GMEN gave him a fair deal which would have set him up forever with a 4 year deal.</P>
It's his career. If you get offered more money to do what you do, you usually accept. It's basically a promotion.
Mario has a Super Bowl ring and a highlight grab which will be replayed for many years to come - what else does he need other than cash?

Kruunch
02-24-2012, 11:07 AM

It's his career. If you get offered more money to do what you do, you usually accept. It's basically a promotion.
Mario has a Super Bowl ring and a highlight grab which will be replayed for many years to come - what else does he need other than cash?

Legacy.

Hall of Fame.

Satisfying career.

Post-NFL career options.

It's not like MM hasn't already made more money then you probably will have made in your life, or will probably more than quadruple that figure over the course of the rest of his career (with or without the Giants).

Of course most people his age aren't going to think in that regard and indeed, the more money (independant of its irrelevance) may be his driving motivation.

Shrug.

Flip Empty
02-24-2012, 11:26 AM

Legacy.

Hall of Fame.

Satisfying career.

Post-NFL career options.

It's not like MM hasn't already made more money then you probably will have made in your life, or will probably more than quadruple that figure over the course of the rest of his career (with or without the Giants).

Of course most people his age aren't going to think in that regard and indeed, the more money (independant of its irrelevance) may be his driving motivation.

Shrug.
I really don't blame players for taking the money when it's offered. One bad play and their career could be over. If they're only on a minimal, incentive-based contract when that happens, they're basically screwed.
It's the same position Kevin Boss was in last season. They want to come back, but at the same time they have to do what's best for them.

Anyway, for all we know, Manningham could still achieve those things - no-one knows where he's going to end up yet.

...the Patriots are in the market for a deep threat, and they have a penchant for signing players who've burned them in the past.

MikeIsaGiant
02-24-2012, 11:28 AM
I'd take that pay to be on a playoff team in a heart beat.

Unfortunately, these players care a lot about the money.

Good for him though, I hope he does well somewhere else if he gets that opportunity

BlueBlitzer
02-24-2012, 11:32 AM
Hey Mario. You had to of heard the same video we heard of BB talking up His D. Being the 3rd option with Eli is better than ( GULP ) #1 on the Bucs, Rams, Cheifs,Titans, Browns.

Cue Dr. McCoy on Star Trek

" Good God Man, You're a WR with a SB-MVP throwing the ball to you. Not some Shooting Star entering a Black Hole "

JesseJames
02-24-2012, 11:36 AM
I know Mario made that great catch but before that he was a streaky WR who was prone to making mistakes in his route running, but I always had the feeling that he still hadn't reached his full potential and if thats true then he really doesn't deserve top WR money until he actually becomes one..

NYG216
02-24-2012, 11:46 AM
Mario, Mario, Mario, </p>

Get your signing bonus from someone and fall into obscurity, you have a great opporutinty to play with one of the best QB's in the league along with a great supporting cast with Nicks and Cruz, but you choose be greedy, look at the others that left the GMEN looking for the Golden Goose, where are they now.</p>

Take a decent offer and be in the playoffs on a regular basis or play for a wanna be play off team.</p>

Don't understand how a player who got where they are because of the love of the game, all to turn it all away for money, I am sure the GMEN gave him a fair deal which would have set him up forever with a 4 year deal.</p>

Legacy.

Hall of Fame.

Satisfying career.

Post-NFL career options.

Shrug.

Money is relative. All of those things you listed are possible with another team. He might even end up getting thrown to more somewhere else without Cruz and Nicks. I don't care how high and mighty you might feel... if you are offered more than twice your salary (no matter the number) you are going to feel wanted. Besides, look at Tiki, I bet he wishes he made more during his time in the NFL. You never know what will happen, and if the opportunity to make a large salary is there, you would be stupid not to take it.

nhpgiantsfan
02-24-2012, 11:52 AM
Why do so many people expect him to take less money from the Giants because they have good people to put around him. Why whould he not test his worth on the open market. </P>

I love all the people that say "if I were a pro I would take less money to be on a playoff team, blah, blah, blah". This is total BS...</P>

All of us, no matter what profession, would want to make the most money we could possibly make doing our chosen career path.</P>

</P>

Spedracer
02-24-2012, 11:54 AM
Whatever happens to Manningham I will never begrudge him for taking more money. This is a business and it goes both ways. Thank you for the catches you made Mario!

If he takes a big contract with a team other than the Giants, he will have represented the Giants with class during his tenure in NY.

Toadofsteel
02-24-2012, 12:04 PM
Whatever happens to Manningham I will never begrudge him for taking more money. This is a business and it goes both ways. Thank you for the catches you made Mario!

If he takes a big contract with a team other than the Giants, he will have represented the Giants with class during his tenure in NY.

This. Taking more money is never a bad thing. As long as he doesn't burn bridges a la SS12 or plax, he will always be welcome in The Jersey. He's much classier than either of those anyway...

YATittle1962
02-24-2012, 12:09 PM

This. Taking more money is never a bad thing. As long as he doesn't burn bridges a la SS12 or plax, he will always be welcome in The Jersey. He's much classier than either of those anyway...

the Jersey?

BlueBlitzer
02-24-2012, 12:10 PM
Ward found out when He went to the Bucs. He never went to the playoffs again.

Antwuan
No surprise here its obvious Manningham wants to be paid starters type of money.

Harooni
He already has a ring. Can't blame him for wanting money now.

NYFan221
02-24-2012, 12:13 PM
all i ask is for him to come back and see if the giants will match any offer that comes up.

unless we already told him the most we.d be willing to pay.

bansaw
02-24-2012, 12:13 PM
deep free agent class and deep rookie class at WR

I dont see him getting big money

nhpgiantsfan
02-24-2012, 12:23 PM
Whatever happens to Manningham I will never begrudge him for taking more money. This is a business and it goes both ways. Thank you for the catches you made Mario! If he takes a big contract with a team other than the Giants, he will have represented the Giants with class during his tenure in NY. This. Taking more money is never a bad thing. As long as he doesn't burn bridges a la SS12 or plax, he will always be welcome in The Jersey. He's much classier than either of those anyway...</P>

</P>

Totally agree with you about SS12. He he skipped town to a division rival without letting the Giants match/counter offer. Yet so many on here are in love with him and want him back.</P>

MM has been a gentleman, and not a diva. Why wouldn't he want the best possible contract offer. He was never a holdout. He didnt complain while he was under contract. He is a free agent. This is his time.</P>

</P>

I don't hear anyone complaining about Cruz being under contract yet still expecting the Giants to tear it up and give him a raise. I am not saying Cruz is causing problems or anything like that. Just saying he is signed and he will still be working on getting more money.</P>

KillaRich
02-24-2012, 12:35 PM

the Jersey?

New Jersey.... the Giants home state?

BlueBlitzer
02-24-2012, 12:36 PM
It's a win-win situation for Him if He stays in NY. You cannot make fantastic catches, unless you have a QB making the right throws. If you're making say 4-5 mill a year, playing in the biggest market in the world, on a team that makes the playoffs more often than not ( Which happens to win it all on the biggest stage in the world ), you get to catch a lot of balls because the other team is doubling the other 2 wide outs. And on top of everything else you play, train, and practice in a state of the art complex with classy owners and the biggest fan base in the world.

Pop it Ahmad
02-24-2012, 12:38 PM
Wait...you're killing Mario because he wants to make more money AND have a chance to be a #2 for a team?

Aren't we all taught to strive to be the best? That the harder we work, the more $$ we make? Cmon now. The guy will get more catches for another team, and make more money doing it. If he feels his best is not being showed as a #3 for the Giants, then kudos to him. Let him move on, he's been great for us.

BlueJayC
02-24-2012, 12:43 PM
Forget everything already mentioned. If I was a team looking at Manningham the biggest factor would be his ability to grasp the playbook. He's been in Gilbride's system hisENTIRE professionalcareer and he still runs wrong routes. If you're a team courting him shouldn't that be a <FONT size=4>MAJOR AREA OF CONCERN</FONT>.</P>

Whatever happens best of luck to him</P>

Joe Morrison
02-24-2012, 12:47 PM
Wait...you're killing Mario because he wants to make more money AND have a chance to be a #2 for a team? Aren't we all taught to strive to be the best? That the harder we work, the more $$ we make? Cmon now. The guy will get more catches for another team, and make more money doing it. If he feels his best is not being showed as a #3 for the Giants, then kudos to him. Let him move on, he's been great for us.</P>

More money, nothing is guaranteed, he has to find a team that is willing to put up with him playing on 75% of the season, have a QB who is able to fit it in those tight windows for him to make those big catches, and have a supporting cast that doensn't have him doubled all the time.</P>

In NY he is not a 3, he is whatever the other team decides to make him that week, and only a guy like Eli will make you a #1 one week when you get your shot.</P>

I am saying he has a good shot at being on a special team, and going for the money with a inferior team and QB only spells disaster for him.</P>

4 million on 4 years can set him up pretty good, wouldn't you think?</P>

BlueBlitzer
02-24-2012, 12:48 PM
No one is killing Mario. He will not get Fitzgerald money nor D-Jack Dough. He will be signed by a crap team in a crap market.

gmen0820
02-24-2012, 12:49 PM
Forget everything already mentioned. If I was a team looking at Manningham the biggest factor would be his ability to grasp the playbook. He's been in Gilbride's system his*ENTIRE professional*career and he still runs wrong routes. If you're a team courting him shouldn't that be a <FONT size=4>MAJOR AREA OF CONCERN</FONT>.</P>

Whatever happens best of luck to him</P>He runs a different route than Eli wants him to run.

In an option based offensive scheme, the receiver makes decisions based on coverage. He's just not on the same page with Eli, and still, he's managed to flash. It's my belief that if he's put in a scheme where he doesn't have to think, and can just plays he will succeed.

swimeasy
02-24-2012, 12:54 PM
deep free agent class and deep rookie class at WR

I dont see him getting big money

Makes sense. I wish him well but the thought of him learning a new playbook is just....painful.

Kruunch
02-24-2012, 01:04 PM

Legacy.

Hall of Fame.

Satisfying career.

Post-NFL career options.

Shrug.
I really don't blame players for taking the money when it's offered. One bad play and their career could be over. If they're only on a minimal, incentive-based contract when that happens, they're basically screwed.
It's the same position Kevin Boss was in last season. They want to come back, but at the same time they have to do what's best for them.

Anyway, for all we know, Manningham could still achieve those things - no-one knows where he's going to end up yet.

...the Patriots are in the market for a deep threat, and they have a penchant for signing players who've burned them in the past.

I totally agree and I was just attempting to illustrate why would might stay (not that he should or should not).

swimeasy
02-24-2012, 01:09 PM
Forget everything already mentioned. If I was a team looking at Manningham the biggest factor would be his ability to grasp the playbook. He's been in Gilbride's system hisENTIRE professionalcareer and he still runs wrong routes. If you're a team courting him shouldn't that be a <font size="4">MAJOR AREA OF CONCERN</font>.</p>

Whatever happens best of luck to him</p>He runs a different route than Eli wants him to run.

In an option based offensive scheme, the receiver makes decisions based on coverage. He's just not on the same page with Eli, and still, he's managed to flash. It's my belief that if he's put in a scheme where he doesn't have to think, and can just plays he will succeed.

Thanks gmen. I just posted a similar comment about the playbook. What you are saying does make sense for MM. Question- how prevalent are those teams that have 'carved in stone' routes today? Ability to adjust to defenses seems so essential for success.

Kruunch
02-24-2012, 01:10 PM
No one is killing Mario. He will not get Fitzgerald money nor D-Jack Dough. He will be signed by a crap team in a crap market.

I dunno about that ... good chance he lands in San Fran.

jomo
02-24-2012, 01:11 PM
NICE CATCH,MM NEXT UP!!!The guy is entitled to make as much as he can and we are obligated to use our cap money as smartly as possible to win a(nother) championship.

Sometimes those two objectives lead in different directions. He may still find our offer the most appealing but if not.............Go Blue!!

TrueBlue@NYC
02-24-2012, 01:14 PM
I don't see how we could even start offering him a new deal when the league calendar hasn't even started yet and the official cap hasn't been set.

Kruunch
02-24-2012, 01:16 PM
Forget everything already mentioned. If I was a team looking at Manningham the biggest factor would be his ability to grasp the playbook. He's been in Gilbride's system his*ENTIRE professional*career and he still runs wrong routes. If you're a team courting him shouldn't that be a <font size="4">MAJOR AREA OF CONCERN</font>.</p>

Whatever happens best of luck to him</p>He runs a different route than Eli wants him to run.

Thanks gmen. I just posted a similar comment about the playbook. What you are saying does make sense for MM. Question- how prevalent are those teams that have 'carved in stone' routes today? Ability to adjust to defenses seems so essential for success.

Sight adjustment offenses are common. I don't think there is a single NFL offense that doesn't use them to a certain extent.

However Gilbride's system has the receiver basing his route on 3 or 4 or even 5 different sight adjustments (and is what is responsible for the majority of Eli's picks).

I agree that MM would do much better in a simpler offense. Since he's done very well with us, you just might see him break into #1 WR territory with another team. Think Ed McCaffrey.

YATittle1962
02-24-2012, 01:17 PM

the Jersey?

yeah my home state as well since 1974

never in my life heard it called the Jersey

Kruunch
02-24-2012, 01:19 PM
I don't see how we could even start offering him a new deal when the league calendar hasn't even started yet and the official cap hasn't been set.

The official cap is exactly the same as it was in 2011.

And each year is set by the CBA so it's not a surprise.

MM and the Giants have been in talks since the post-season started (according to MM's agent). MM knows what the Giants are willing to spend on him ... now he's going to find out how much more he can get. He could end up back with the Giants still (but doubtful).

I'd guess with this FA WR market, MM is going to command $4-6 million per year on a 4 year contract. The Giants probably offered him closer to half that.

swimeasy
02-24-2012, 01:23 PM
Forget everything already mentioned. If I was a team looking at Manningham the biggest factor would be his ability to grasp the playbook. He's been in Gilbride's system hisENTIRE professionalcareer and he still runs wrong routes. If you're a team courting him shouldn't that be a <font size="4">MAJOR AREA OF CONCERN</font>.</p>

Sight adjustment offenses are common. I don't think there is a single NFL offense that doesn't use them to a certain extent.

However Gilbride's system has the receiver basing his route on 3 or 4 or even 5 different sight adjustments (and is what is responsible for the majority of Eli's picks).

I agree that MM would do much better in a simpler offense. Since he's done very well with us, you just might see him break into #1 WR territory with another team. Think Ed McCaffrey.

Many thanks Kruunch!

gmen0820
02-24-2012, 01:26 PM
Forget everything already mentioned. If I was a team looking at Manningham the biggest factor would be his ability to grasp the playbook. He's been in Gilbride's system his*ENTIRE professional*career and he still runs wrong routes. If you're a team courting him shouldn't that be a <font size="4">MAJOR AREA OF CONCERN</font>.</p>

To the extent that the Giants use the option based offense, the only team that really comes to mind would be the New England Patriots, they do a lot of option based routes.

But the Giants are really in a class of their own in my opinion in using this system and executing it. Some people would claim that our offense just looks like everything is so hard and teams like the Packers and Saints, it is so easy, but as shown in the playoffs, when everyone on offense is on the same exact page, our offense is almost unstoppable.

I don't remember one of the most dominant corners this year, Carlos Rogers, conceding that he just can not cover Robert Meachem or Marques Colston, but he did with Cruz.

But when this offense is not in sync, it is very very very slow paced, and can be turnover laden, that is why it is so quintessential that receivers have a good work ethic for us, and practice. Plax didn't do that, but Plax was also around for a while, and was very meticulous. Him and Eli were more often than not, on the same page.

The positives and negatives are there, we do run a scheme that requires receivers to think, and I think the smarts accumulated, as well as the cohesion was very evident all year, especially in those two minute drills where audibles and perfection are of necessity.

BillTheGreek
02-24-2012, 01:27 PM
He's been such an Asset.....I hope we don't Lose him, but thats life, you can't blame him for Looking for the best deal......Any way I WISH HIM ALL THE BEST ! He did help win the Super Bowl !

Flip Empty
02-24-2012, 01:29 PM
There'll probably be an adjustment period, but I'm pretty confident that Devin Thomas can be the guy at #3. Just need to re-sign him first...

Drez
02-24-2012, 01:31 PM
I'd take that pay to be on a playoff team in a heart beat. Unfortunately, these players care a lot about the money. Good for him though, I hope he does well somewhere else if he gets that opportunity</P>

And we know he's not going to be signing with a playoff team how? For all we know New England signs him. Or GB. Or SF... Hell, even a team like the Bears could benefit greatly from having a guy like MM (even though they missed the playoffs, they were looking very good before Cutler and Forte got hurt).</P>

Also, you'd take $2m-$4m a year over $6m-$8m a year? Really? It's very possible that MM will be able to cash in a on contract that pays him (on avg) 3x more a year than he did his entire first contract. I can't blame the kid for that, especially as he's our 3rd guy here and will be a 1 or 2 where ever else he signs.</P>

swimeasy
02-24-2012, 01:32 PM

To the extent that the Giants use the option based offense, the only team that really comes to mind would be the New England Patriots, they do a lot of option based routes.

But the Giants are really in a class of their own in my opinion in using this system and executing it. Some people would claim that our offense just looks like everything is so hard and teams like the Packers and Saints, it is so easy, but as shown in the playoffs, when everyone on offense is on the same exact page, our offense is almost unstoppable.

I don't remember one of the most dominant corners this year, Carlos Rogers, conceding that he just can not cover Robert Meachem or Marques Colston, but he did with Cruz.

But when this offense is not in sync, it is very very very slow paced, and can be turnover laden, that is why it is so quintessential that receivers have a good work ethic for us, and practice. Plax didn't do that, but Plax was also around for a while, and was very meticulous. Him and Eli were more often than not, on the same page.

The positives and negatives are there, we do run a scheme that requires receivers to think, and I think the smarts accumulated, as well as the cohesion was very evident all year, especially in those two minute drills where audibles and perfection are of necessity.

Thanks gmen. Great info!

gmen0820
02-24-2012, 01:34 PM
There'll probably be an adjustment period, but I'm pretty confident that Devin Thomas can be the guy at #3. Just need to re-sign him first...I'm really high on Devin Thomas, I was really high on him coming out of college (I know, bad call), but this kid has been a straight beast on STs, by far our best gunner.

I think he should get a shot at WR, I like his ceiling more than Barden's. If Thomas and Eli work out in the offseason and build a good rapport, I think they can be really effective.

Drez
02-24-2012, 01:39 PM
I don't see how we could even start offering him a new deal when the league calendar hasn't even started yet and the official cap hasn't been set.</P>

The FO has a pretty good idea of what the cap is going to be, even if they don't know the exact number (Reese has said that he believes that there will be either no increase or only a very small increase to the cap, I believe the word he used was "flat"). </P>

But, even with the uncertainty the FO could still offer a contract or even give his agent the ballpark figures that they are thinking of. I also don't think that the fact of the matter is thatMM and the Giants couldn't come to termsas much as it is MM wanting to see what his market valueis before signing an offer sheet. Unless playing time is a major consideration for him (he'ddefinitely see more playing time on another team) if his market value is closeto whatwe've offered then he may stay. But, if a team is offering him $6m and we're offering him $2.5m, then he'll bounce on outta here.</P>

bigjeep
02-24-2012, 01:53 PM

</P>

Why should he be different then any other player? This is what free agency is all about! He will use the SB win, like many other players before him, to extract as much money as he can. Why do players have there best seasons in the last year of their contracts? I heard Boomer talking about Cruz how he should be payed for the level of play this year. How many players out there are under-performing for the money they are making. Do they give any money back? NO!</P>

TheEnigma
02-24-2012, 01:55 PM
Mario will probably earn more money and see more throws his way on another team than if he stays here. Sure, he has a great chance to win championships with the Giants but it's only as a smaller cog in the machine with Nicks and Cruz in front of him.

bigjeep
02-24-2012, 01:57 PM

It's his career. If you get offered more money to do what you do, you usually accept. It's basically a promotion. Mario has a Super Bowl ring and a highlight grab which will be replayed for many years to come - what else does he need other than cash? Legacy. Hall of Fame. Satisfying career. Post-NFL career options. It's not like MM hasn't already made more money then you probably will have made in your life, or will probably more than quadruple that figure over the course of the rest of his career (with or without the Giants). Of course most people his age aren't going to think in that regard and indeed, the more money (independant of its irrelevance) may be his driving motivation. Shrug.</P>

Get real, its free agency! If you don't believe it, just ask players in the NBA! It could be coming to the NFL down the road. Melo, Howard anyone! [W]</P>

bigjeep
02-24-2012, 02:01 PM
Why do so many people expect him to take less money from the Giants because they have good people to put around him. Why whould he not test his worth on the open market. </P>

I love all the people that say "if I were a pro I would take less money to be on a playoff team, blah, blah, blah". This is total BS...</P>

All of us, no matter what profession, would want to make the most money we could possibly make doing our chosen career path.</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

He will cash in and winning be damned! He might also be bought by the Eagles, Patriots? [:O]</P>

Flip Empty
02-24-2012, 02:16 PM
There'll probably be an adjustment period, but I'm pretty confident that Devin Thomas can be the guy at #3. Just need to re-sign him first...I'm really high on Devin Thomas, I was really high on him coming out of college (I know, bad call), but this kid has been a straight beast on STs, by far our best gunner.

I think he should get a shot at WR, I like his ceiling more than Barden's. If Thomas and Eli work out in the offseason and build a good rapport, I think they can be really effective.
You can't blame him for having to play for the Redskins and Panthers. As far as I'm concerned he's never been given a chance.

gmen0820
02-24-2012, 02:36 PM

You can't blame him for having to play for the Redskins and Panthers. As far as I'm concerned he's never been given a chance.No but I can blame him for having a poor work ethic while on the Redskins (maybe it's contagious in that facility).

nygsb42champs
02-24-2012, 03:00 PM
Not a surprise at all.

G-Men Surg.
02-24-2012, 03:08 PM
http://www.fantasysp.com/player/nfl/Mario_Manningham/2089326/manningham-prepares-to-enter-free-agency

It's being reported that MM and the Giants couldn't work out a deal so MM will indeed hit the FA market.

Not really surprising.
I can't hold nothing against him, he's not a 1st or 2nd WR on the team and of course someone will pay him 2 WR bucks, I love him for what he's done for the Giants, he will always have a place in Giants history and hope he gets the chance to get paid and play as the 2nd WR on any given team. Great kid and I'm proud of him and happy to see his hard work paying off.

Tommy_Ribs
02-24-2012, 03:09 PM
He will hit Free Agency, which he has earned the right to do.

The market will pay him for his skills. God Bless him, go get a great deal.

If the GIANTS can make him the best deal, great, if not, a very sincere thank you to MM for all he has done and good luck. He helped us win a championship, and I wish great things for you in the future.

Harooni
02-24-2012, 03:37 PM
I doubt the giants offered him 4mill a season. Probably much less.

We still have Nixon and barden

gmen0820
02-24-2012, 03:41 PM
We still have Nixon http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/AP_Photo/2006/12/27/1167202675_3629.jpg

Showing off that wingspan

GmenFan1980
02-24-2012, 03:43 PM
I doubt the giants offered him 4mill a season. Probably much less.

We still have Nixon and barden

Nixon?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_HEh2auCRBAk/SUFRpPUEgkI/AAAAAAAAAOY/hLC_1GsKsYQ/s400/Who_Dat.JPG

Harooni
02-24-2012, 03:48 PM
We still have Nixon http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/AP_Photo/2006/12/27/1167202675_3629.jpg

Showing off that wingspan damn phone spell correct Hixon

rainierjef
02-24-2012, 03:50 PM
Has this information been tweeted by a reliable source, did his agent make a statement or something normally, garafalo is one of the first to tweet stuff like this. if not don't buy into it most of these sites due to the lack of anything going on put stuff up to get hits to keep there ad sponsors happy, i web design so i know.

swimeasy
02-24-2012, 05:57 PM
Harooni, it has been an absolutely horrific work week andthe Nixon commenthad mecrying I was laughing so hard. Just what I needed! You and gmen should go pro! [:)]

Harooni
02-24-2012, 06:03 PM
Harooni, it has been an absolutely horrific work week andthe Nixon commenthad mecrying I was laughing so hard. Just what I needed! You and gmen should go pro! [:)]

haha we try and give the fans some comic relief during the week. saves the kids a beating or two as well.

mr.hiroki
02-24-2012, 07:25 PM

It's his career. If you get offered more money to do what you do, you usually accept. It's basically a promotion. Mario has a Super Bowl ring and a highlight grab which will be replayed for many years to come - what else does he need other than cash? Legacy. Hall of Fame. Satisfying career. Post-NFL career options. It's not like MM hasn't already made more money then you probably will have made in your life, or will probably more than quadruple that figure over the course of the rest of his career (with or without the Giants). Of course most people his age aren't going to think in that regard and indeed, the more money (independant of its irrelevance) may be his driving motivation. Shrug. I really don't blame players for taking the money when it's offered. One bad play and their career could be over. If they're only on a minimal, incentive-based contract when that happens, they're basically screwed. It's the same position Kevin Boss was in last season. They want to come back, but at the same time they have to do what's best for them. Anyway, for all we know, Manningham could still achieve those things - no-one knows where he's going to end up yet. ...the Patriots are in the market for a deep threat, and they have a penchant for signing players who've burned them in the past.</P>

Yeah I'd have to agree with you on this one. It is his career and getting more money after you've helped your team win it all sounds like a reasonable expectation. It depends what he wants to do with his career and he really shouldn't come under fire or critisism one way or the other imo.</P>

jomo
02-24-2012, 07:40 PM
I doubt the giants offered him 4mill a season. Probably much less. We still have Nixon and barden Nixon? http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_HEh2auCRBAk/SUFRpPUEgkI/AAAAAAAAAOY/hLC_1GsKsYQ/s400/Who_Dat.JPGBarden? lol

KillaRich
02-24-2012, 10:26 PM

the Jersey?

im from here also....ive heard "jerz" , but not the jersey...idk im assuming thats what he means

JJC7301
02-24-2012, 11:32 PM
I'm sure the Giants fair offer was like 3-4 mil per year, if that.

Our only hope is that he hits the market and like Bradshaw, comes galloping home.

Then again, maybe like Derrick Ward, we don't take him back, because we have already replaced him with, say Steve Smith, or have moved on with the idea of Barden or Jernigan playing significantly more snaps.
+1. I also would not be surprised if we drafted a WR with our 1st if that WR is clearly the BPA at with the 32nd pick, in order to keep the 3rd headed monster alive. More likely that JR or Barden fill that role next year.

NYtoSanDiego
02-25-2012, 12:13 AM
he is my favorite giants wr because he catches everything that's thrown to him and he hardly fumbles the ball after the catch. yeah he as issues with his route running but he makes up for it with clutch catches and i'm not just talking about SB 46. how about 4th and 6 for 18yds against the niners back on november 13th?

during the final drive in SB46 he was thrown the ball 4 times and caught 3. on the 2nd and 10 he looked around who was around him even if it was pascoe and protected the ball. the hot read for a 2yd gain where he was gang tackled he also protected the ball from being stripped. cruz if it wasn't for 12 men on the field fumbled with two tacklers and one tackler trying to force a fumble.

if we and the team think that he can be replaced by ramses and jerrel we're mistaken. ramses is way slower and jerrel too short. mario has a combination of size, speed and hands that the other two don't all have. he's a very reliable #2 if a wr is out for a few games or #3 guy on our trips y sets.

he is one of our FA i'd like to see back next year.

G-Men Surg.
02-25-2012, 01:59 AM

Showing off that wingspan
LOL !

G-Men Surg.
02-25-2012, 02:00 AM
He will hit Free Agency, which he has earned the right to do.

The market will pay him for his skills.* God Bless him, go get a great deal.

If the GIANTS can make him the best deal, great, if not, a very sincere thank you to MM for all he has done and good luck.* He helped us win a championship, and I wish great things for you in the future.

Here, here !

Toadofsteel
02-25-2012, 02:32 AM

the Jersey?

im from here also....ive heard "jerz" , but not the jersey...idk im assuming thats what he means

It's a bit of a Stephen Colbert-ism... he puts "The" in front of things that normally don't have a "The" article in front of them.

saltire
02-25-2012, 08:26 AM
I think we may well go Sanu (WR) now as I think he'll still be around at 32ish. I have a feeling Manningham will even up in Chicago for some reason. I do not know their cap situation but I think they will draft a WR so may well see MM as the chance to pick up a solid, proven WR and draft another need at a decent midtable slot first round.

Good luck to Mario except against us.

appodictic
02-25-2012, 10:12 AM
There is still time to make a deal. Maybe he will play the market like Bradshaw and come to the conclusion that there is no great money to be had
elsewhere. Manningham really should stay on the giants.It could very easily happen that Nicks or cruz is hurt and he is in their like swimwear. Nicks gets banged up alot. I hope he does not end up on the Jets.

Flip Empty
02-25-2012, 10:49 AM
Manningham's been good, but he's easily the weak link out of that WR trio.
I see his inevitable departure as a chance to improve the team. Without him there, another guy gets to step up.
I want to see what Barden, JJ and hopefully Thomas have to offer.

Jobarulz
02-25-2012, 11:46 AM
Steve Smith return anyone?

Flip Empty
02-25-2012, 11:57 AM
If he can play like he did when he was last a (healthy) Giant, sure.

since55
02-25-2012, 12:06 PM
And if you have a career ending illness or injury that first year??????

Not to worry Mario. BlueBlitzer and Mr. Mara will take care of all you and your families needs forever after.

buffyblue
02-25-2012, 12:33 PM
No surprise here its obvious Manningham wants to be paid starters type of money.

He will get it on another team.

You canít begrudge the guy if goes somewhere else. We are talking about a difference of probably 10 million dollars more than NY Giants are going to pay him over four years.

buffyblue
02-25-2012, 12:36 PM
Forget everything already mentioned. If I was a team looking at Manningham the biggest factor would be his ability to grasp the playbook. He's been in Gilbride's system his*ENTIRE professional*career and he still runs wrong routes. If you're a team courting him shouldn't that be a <FONT size=4>MAJOR AREA OF CONCERN</FONT>.</P>

Whatever happens best of luck to him</P>He runs a different route than Eli wants him to run.

I agree completely. In a simpler offense MM will shine. He has the speed to stretch defenses and just like strong armed QBs that is always sought after in NFL.

Mario Manningham leaving NY Giants is not comparable to Steve Smith leaving in any way. Mario Manningham is more than likely going to leave and get paid a ton more money than NY Giants are willing to give him.

buffyblue
02-25-2012, 12:36 PM
double post

NYtoSanDiego
02-25-2012, 01:27 PM

I agree completely. In a simpler offense MM will shine. He has the speed to stretch defenses and just like strong armed QBs that is always sought after in NFL.

Mario Manningham leaving NY Giants is not comparable to Steve Smith leaving in any way. Mario Manningham is more than likely going to leave and get paid a ton more money than NY Giants are willing to give him.

what i'm hoping for is what happened to ahmad last year, test it out and come back. there are a lot of FA WR this year and teams will look at him as more of #2 than a #1 WR so i don't think he will get FA #1 type money. he should get more just on the signing bonus alone compared to what the giants will probably give him.

everyone here talks about ramses and jerrel stepping in but they are not mario. mario has the mix of height, speed and hands that the other two doesn't have. one is either to slow or the other too short. we and eli will miss him more than a lot of you think. there will be teams this year that will do what the patriots did to cruz. we need an established 3rd guy that knows the system even with a mistake here and there and not wait two years for him to develop.