PDA

View Full Version : WON'T take a TE

elitosmith
02-24-2012, 02:38 PM
I see a lot of the fans mocks on here with us taking a tight end. I don't think so. Coughlin has NEVER been a big TE guy in the passing game, it's not their offense, so why use a 1st rdr on it? They need a good blocker and capable pass catcher. Since Shockey they've won two Super Bowls that way. Why do it differently now? (the injuries are not a reason) They like Hopkins, and can take a TE in the later rounds. I'd trade out of the 32nd pick, get an additional pick/two and let Reese and his staff work their customary magic to the other areas of need. or to bolster a position of strength with added depth. thoughts? btw, it's 2 1/2 weeks since the bowl and I'm already excited for the Thursday nighter and the premiere of America's Game. What is wrong with me?!?!

Kruunch
02-24-2012, 02:51 PM
Well if you subscribe to the BPA mentality, the BPA when we pick (barring someone who drops like Prince did last year) will be a Tight End.

We need a tight end (or two).

We have never had a threatening Tight End in the modern era (even Shockey wasn't of this mold).

We have tried to approach an offense that utilizes the TE more (ala Beckum) but haven't found one that could stay on the field. If we had one, we'd use him more (ala Ballard getting more attempts as he proved capable this year).

The 32nd pick just isn't worth that much by draft standards if your idea is to get more quality picks somewhere in the 2nd-4th rounds.

And when's the last time we've traded out of the first round at draft day?

gmen0820
02-24-2012, 02:56 PM
Well if you subscribe to the BPA mentality, the BPA when we pick (barring someone who drops like Prince did last year) will be a Tight End.

If that is the best player on the Giants board.

No one can say for sure if Allen, Charles, and Fleener will be available, and if they are, where they stack up on the Giants draft board.

titwio
02-24-2012, 02:58 PM
Idk...With the success the Giants have had this year with their emerging receivers, a quality TE can be a very viable weapon on this offense. Not sure what's going to happen with Mario but with teams having to worry about Nicks and Cruz, a stud TE could do wonders. Ballard had big success last season, imagine what an upgrade could add.

I'm not saying they WILL take a TE early cause Jerry's been having success in later rounds and through UDFA's but....I don't think it would be such a bad idea.

nygsb42champs
02-24-2012, 02:59 PM
Nothing is wrong with you. You are a Giants fan!

Spedracer
02-24-2012, 03:40 PM

We have never had a threatening Tight End in the modern era (even Shockey wasn't of this mold).

We have tried to approach an offense that utilizes the TE more (ala Beckum) but haven't found one that could stay on the field. If we had one, we'd use him more (ala Ballard getting more attempts as he proved capable this year).

The 32nd pick just isn't worth that much by draft standards if your idea is to get more quality picks somewhere in the 2nd-4th rounds.

You are not correct, sir. The 32nd pick is worth about 4 year 6 million dollars in regard to the contract. That is a LOT to pay to a TE who has proven nothing in the NFL.

wolfie
02-24-2012, 03:50 PM
Really? If we could land a great TE, though unproven, you wouldn't take him. </P>

C'mon... if it weren't for Gronk &amp; Hernandez I don't think NE makes the SB. And look what Graham did to us in NO.</P>

TE at 32, if it's the right TE, is a no brainer!</P>

rainierjef
02-24-2012, 04:37 PM
What is it about <FONT size=4>Best Player Available </FONT><FONT size=3>that people don't understand?</FONT></P>

were picking dead last, the best OT/ILB/S/CB/WR/OL/RB/OLB are going to be gone by 32 the way the mocks looks it seems that the only untocuhed position by 32 might be TE. and if thats the case then BPA TE. </P>

Now we don't know if some team *cough deadskins cough* reach for tannehill, also CB's/S might go off the board in the first round due to the evolving of the passing game. their is a slight chance that ILB /OLB BPA might be there. But there are alot of factors involved there. </P>

JesseJames
02-24-2012, 06:04 PM
I think its a no-brainer that the Giants will take a TE early in this coming draft, maybe not in round 1 but definitely early because they have no choice unless we think Pascoe can be the starter for receiving and blocking at that position....

giantman8493
02-24-2012, 06:17 PM

And when's the last time we've traded out of the first round at draft day?What makes you think that a TE is exactoly #32 on our big board. I really doubt that will be the case. Not to mention prospect ALWAYS fall.

MikeIsaGiant
02-25-2012, 10:38 AM
Didn't coughlin say he wanted a TE?

Come on now

nhpgiantsfan
02-25-2012, 11:03 AM

Shockey was def a threatening TE. He created matchup nightmares. His problem was he got hurt too much and chose himself over the team.

And I am not sure what you consider the "modern" era, but Bavaro was a dominant TE.

BlueSanta
02-25-2012, 11:15 AM
I see no valid point made in any argument about why we wont take a TE. We may not end up taking 1, but that would be because there is someone else we like more.

Fact is, every other position on this team has SOMEONE to line up at the start of next year except TE. We have ZERO TEs on the roster who will be able to go next year.

We may not end up taking 1 in the 1st, but that doesnt change the fact that it is this offseason's biggest need.

And to those saying we always just go BPA, you have to review Reese history. He has NOT always gone BPA in the 1st. Absolutely nobody, no analyst thought Aaron Ross was a BPA, yet it was our biggest need that offseason. KP was a high value pick, but it was also our biggest offseason need. In fact, in 2008, almost every selection we made was at a position where the current starter was either over 30, or a free agent. Perhaps Reese is more of a value guy than most GMs, but he is not always a BPA guy. That is a misnomer.

buddy33
02-25-2012, 11:24 AM
I think they draft a guy no one thinks they will draft.

I'm going with Sanu. I know, I like RU, but he is a Giants type of player. Great character, very physical, and you have to make sure Eli always has weapons.