PDA

View Full Version : NOTEBOOK: REESE LOOKING FOR JERNIGAN JUMP

RoanokeFan
02-25-2012, 08:24 PM
NOTEBOOK: REESE LOOKING FOR JERNIGAN JUMP (http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/giants/post/_/id/13000/notebook-reese-looking-for-jernigan-jump)

"It appears the Giants are looking for Jerrel Jernigan to step
up this coming season, especially if Mario Manningham departs
in free agency.

On Friday, Tom Coughlin mentioned
Jernigan as one of the young players that could potentially step up with
opportunity this coming season.

And on Saturday, GM Jerry
Reese said the team has expectations for last year’s third-round pick.

“I think we have some good players we still want to come along,” Reese
said when asked what the team may do if Manningham leaves. “To name a couple –-
we drafted Jernigan in the third round. So we expect him to make the jump.
Ramses Barden, who we drafted a couple years ago, had some
injury issues, we expect him to contribute as well. Obviously, we’ll continue to
look if we can’t bring Mario back.”

Jernigan largely played on special
teams and did not have a catch during his rookie season. If Manningham signs
elsewhere, the Giants will need a third wide receiver and Barden and Jernigan
may battle it out in camp for that spot.

The Giants also need Jernigan
to step up as a returner. The special teams needs a spark in the kick return and
punt return areas.

A TIGHT SITUATION: Reese was asked
about the Giants’ need at tight end after Jake Ballard
and Travis Beckum both underwent ACL surgeries on
Tuesday.

“Right now, we only have a couple of tight ends that are
healthy so that’s definitely a concern for us,” the general manager said. “We
have the two guys who had ACL surgeries. We have Bear Pascoe
who’s healthy and we have a young practice squad kid that we like,
Christian Hopkins. That’s a concern for us.”

“We’ll
address it somehow, with the draft or free agency, but we’ll definitely look to
address that,” Reese added. “And hopefully those guys will
be back at some point with the ACLs.”

Both tight ends could start the
season on the PUP list.

[b]GIANT CAP: The Giants will have
some maneuvering to do to gain cap flexibility.

The Giants are $9
million over the cap at the moment according to ESPN NFL insider Adam
Schefter. So Reese and his staff could be restructuring some contracts
in the near future.

“You have to do what you have to do to get the
players you need on your roster,” he said. “Sometimes you have to renegotiate
some contracts and if we have to do that, we’re not afraid to do it. Right now,
it looks like the cap is going to be flat. We’re not sure what the total is
going to be. If we have to do it, we’re capable of doing it.”

Brandon Jacobs has a $500,000 roster bonus due next
month so the Giants will have to make a decision on that in the next few weeks.
Osi Umenyiora also is looking for a new contract and Reese said
the<a href="http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/7614596/no-formal-contract-talks-new-york-giants-osi-umenyiora-brandon-jacobs-yet">
team is open to the idea of an extension</a>.

The Giants have<a href="http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/giants/post/_/id/12900/combine-watch-giants-back-in-indy">
21 unrestricted free agents</a>, two restricted free agents and one exclusive
rights free agent. Manningham, cornerback Terrell Thomas,
middle linebacker Jonathan Goff and punter Steve
Weatherford are among the unrestricted free agents.

“We have
some work to do in respect to the cap,” Reese said. "

Gimaniac
02-25-2012, 08:41 PM
Hard to tell but, Cruz and Rio exhibited flashes right away, then turned out to be the real deal.

JJ and Barden, ne're-a-flash.

RoanokeFan
02-25-2012, 08:50 PM
Hard to tell but, Cruz and Rio exhibited flashes right away, then turned out to be the real deal.

Jernigan was a rookie, Barden was a disappointment

GmenFan1980
02-25-2012, 08:50 PM
I thought although Jernigan didn't catch a pass, he looked improved in returning, maybe there is hope for him as a reciever

Voldamort
02-25-2012, 08:52 PM
did we see enough of jerrel? he looks like a slot guy? R.Barden could fill the outside and keep Cruz in the slot!

RoanokeFan
02-25-2012, 09:00 PM
I thought although Jernigan didn't catch a pass, he looked improved in returning, maybe there is hope for him as a reciever

He's here to be developed.

Gimaniac
02-25-2012, 09:37 PM

JJ was handed the punt returning job and failed miserably. Given chances on kick return and showed nothing. Hope I'm wrong about him, because without Rio and a healthy TE, we are looking thin on receivers.

Flip Empty
02-25-2012, 10:09 PM
did we see enough of jerrel? he looks like a slot guy?
Yes, in the Welker mould. He ran the wildcat in college. He can/could be elusive.
He certainly didn't endear himself last season, so he's going to need to progress a fair bit in order to crack the starting lineup.

Rich4114
02-25-2012, 11:53 PM
What are the chances we use Barden as TE?

I know a lot of people are down on Barden but without the injuries I think he's right where we hoped he would be. Even when he played this year he played very well in his opportunities except the Jets game where they were defending the pass better than anyone we faced that day.

THE_New_York_Giants
02-25-2012, 11:54 PM
Manningham was abysmal his rookie year. Dropped everything that was thrown to him and when he caught it he ran backwards.

Gmenfan87
02-26-2012, 02:45 AM
WRs take 2-3 years to develop. I look to Barden to make raise his play next year. If he can't then he will be a disappointment. But he has shown some ability and its not like they are asking him to be the 1 or 2 guy. Just be a contributor and consistently beat 1 on 1.

egyptian420
02-26-2012, 03:02 AM

JJ was handed the punt returning job and failed miserably. Given chances on kick return and showed nothing. Hope I'm wrong about him, because without Rio and a healthy TE, we are looking thin on receivers.
Really? I thought he was outstanding in his kick returns, there was one in the Superbowl that he damn near took back. The kid's speed is a Huge asset that I hope we can benefit from in the future.

BeatYale
02-26-2012, 03:22 AM

Manningham had 4 catches for 26 yards his entire rookie season. In his sophomore season he showed flashes of brilliance right away.

Flip Empty
02-26-2012, 03:31 AM
What are the chances we use Barden as TE?
I doubt he'd be able to block well enough. I suppose he could line up as a TE in certain packages though.

Gimaniac
02-26-2012, 09:09 AM

Really? I thought he was outstanding in his kick returns, there was one in the Superbowl that he damn near took back. The kid's speed is a Huge asset that I hope we can benefit from in the future.

He did run one out to the 35 I think. Well at least he didn't fumble as a KR. That will earn him more playing time next year.

Problem is, he is a slot type, which is where Cruz excelled. Who's gonna replace Rio at stretching the field?

Joe Morrison
02-26-2012, 09:13 AM
Manningham was abysmal his rookie year. Dropped everything that was thrown to him and when he caught it he ran backwards.</P>

Sounds like you're talking about Sincore Moss!</P>

Gimaniac
02-26-2012, 09:20 AM

Manningham had 4 catches for 26 yards his entire rookie season. In his sophomore season he showed flashes of brilliance right away.

Some of those flashes came in pre-season(e.g. Cruz vs Jets). JJs pre-season was a disaster, to say the least.

Rio had the flash rookie year pre season.

Joe Morrison
02-26-2012, 09:23 AM
Jernigan has not really shown anything to this point, and yes I have noticed he has been on the field at times, Mario and Nicks are always missing time.</P>

Fact is if he can learn the playbook and get in the same zone as Eli, Eli will make him good.</P>

I still think Barden is way closer than Jernigan.</P>

Flip Empty
02-26-2012, 09:42 AM
Problem is, he is a slot type, which is where Cruz excelled. Who's gonna replace Rio at stretching the field?
Hopefully Devin Thomas. Or perhaps Cruz can be used the same way Steve Smith was - out wide in 2 WR sets and inside for 3 or more.
Cruz will be a focal point of teams' defensive gameplans next season, so Gilbride will probably try and mix things up a bit to counter.

THE_New_York_Giants
02-26-2012, 11:58 AM
Manningham was abysmal his rookie year. Dropped everything that was thrown to him and when he caught it he ran backwards.</P>

Sounds like you're talking about Sincore Moss!</P>
Manningham was terrible his rookie year. Go watch highlights of him. I remember on 1 play he had an easy first down and he ran backwards by like 5 yards trying to juke a guy out. He had 4 catches, but he really sucked..

miked1958
02-26-2012, 06:31 PM
I can see both of them stepping up as well as D. Thomas

Also they need to spend whatever it takes to resign Weatherford

His punting single handedly changed field position and even scored points for us

Voldamort
02-26-2012, 06:50 PM
me too next man up,finish this thing!!!