PDA

View Full Version : REPORT: MARIO MANNINGHAM EXPECTED TO SIGN WITH TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS

RoanokeFan
02-26-2012, 11:30 AM
REPORT: MARIO MANNINGHAM EXPECTED TO SIGN WITH TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS (http://www.giants101.com/2012/02/26/report-mario-manningham-expected-to-sign-with-tampa-bay-buccaneers/)

"The Tampa Bay Buccaneers (http://www.giants101.com/tag/tampa-bay-buccaneers/) will continue their pilfering of the
<a class="st_tag internal_tag" title="Posts tagged with New York Giants" href="http://www.giants101.com/tag/new-york-giants/" rel="tag nofollow">New York
Giants</a> when free agency begins, and are expected to sign wide receiver <a class="st_tag internal_tag" title="Posts tagged with Mario Manningham" href="http://www.giants101.com/tag/mario-manningham/" rel="tag nofollow">Mario
Manningham</a> reports Clarke Judge of CBS Sports (http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6384866/34996521).

</p><div style="DISPLAY: none"><a class="st_tag internal_tag" title="Posts tagged with New York Giants" href="http://www.giants101.com/tag/new-york-giants/" rel="tag nofollow">New York
Giants</a> <a class="st_tag internal_tag" title="Posts tagged with Mario Manningham" href="http://www.giants101.com/tag/mario-manningham/" rel="tag nofollow">Mario
Manningham</a> (L) fails to catch a pass as he is interfered with by Buffalo
Bills Drayton Florence (R) in the second quarter during their NFL (http://www.giants101.com/tag/nfl/) football (http://www.giants101.com/tag/football/)
game in East Rutherford, New Jersey, October 16, 2011. REUTERS/Ray Stubblebine
(UNITED STATES - Tags: SPORT FOOTBALL (http://www.giants101.com/tag/football/))</div>
<div style="MARGIN: 5px">

<div style="POSITION: relative">

<div style="FLOAT: left">

</div></div></div>

<blockquote>

"Manningham is expected to follow former Giants' assistant Mike Sullivan to
Tampa Bay (http://www.giants101.com/tag/tampa-bay/).
Sullivan, who was the Giants' quarterbacks coach, recently took a job as <a class="st_tag internal_tag" title="Posts tagged with Tampa Bay" href="http://www.giants101.com/tag/tampa-bay/" rel="tag nofollow">Tampa
Bay</a>'s offensive coordinator," Judge wrote.</p></blockquote>

This news comes less than 24 hours after Manningham said there was a 75% chance he wouldn't be back with the team (http://www.giants101.com/2012/02/25/mario-manningham-has-one-foot-out-the-door-does-not-think-the-new-york-giants-can-repeat/), and that they're
not likely to repeat as Super Bowl champions.</p>

While speaking with the media at the NFL (http://www.giants101.com/tag/nfl/) Combine, General Manager Jerry Reese conceded to Mario's 75% figure (http://www.giants101.com/2012/02/26/new-york-giants-gm-jerry-reese-says-osi-umenyiora-extension-could-happen/), and acknowledged
that free agents coming off of Super Bowl victories are often looking for big
money.</p>
<blockquote>

“Obviously, players, when free agency comes around for them, they want to
make as much money as possible,” Reese said. “We’ll see how it
unfolds.”</p></blockquote>

Not only does Super Mario want more money, he wants more passes thrown his
way … two things Big Blue just can't give him. So, once again, the business side
of the game rears its ugly head for the Giants and they'll now be looking to
fill a hole at wide receiver; something that could possibly come via promotion
from within (see: Ramses Barden and Jerrel Jernigan).</p>

In Tampa, Mario will have the luxury of working with Mike Sullivan, so he
won't have to extend himself learning a completely new system. He'll also be
playing in warm weather, which is another commodity he was seeking in free
agency."</p>

FBomb
02-26-2012, 11:50 AM
Yeah....who didn't see that coming? It's a good fit and I hope MM does great with them. As long as Philthy or the Girls didn't get him I am all good.</P>

Thanks MM. You will be forever lauded by Giants fansfor your amazing SB catch!!! Good luck to you sir!</P>

prymaxevintage
02-26-2012, 11:54 AM
Not likely to repeat as champions huh... Thanks for the one catch, goodbye.

BigBlue2010
02-26-2012, 11:58 AM
Was expecting him to go somewhere like NE, CHI or even SD if Mario is cheaper than Jackson. Basically somewhere with a QB who you.would expect to regularly get him the ball in stride down field.

Big Blue 418
02-26-2012, 12:25 PM

Yeah that rubbed me the wrong way as well . Are they likley to repeat ? No the odds are always tough to repeat in today's game but no offense to Mario he ain't the reason we will not repeat

Big Blue 418

Yeah that rubbed me the wrong way as well . Are they likley to repeat ? No the odds are always tough to repeat in today's game but no offense to Mario he ain't the reason we will not repeat

Big Blue 418

NYGRealityCheck
02-26-2012, 12:40 PM
"and that they're not likely to repeat as Super Bowl champions."

Does he expects to win the Superbowl with the Bucs at their current state? lol!

This is what happens when money starts talking...

IamGiantsfan
02-26-2012, 12:47 PM

seven teams have down it
The odds are against us from going back to back, you guys are so whiney, grow a thicker skin, he won the superbowl, now he wants money and to get the ball more both of which he probably can't get here, I want him back but seriously...

cornerback30
02-26-2012, 12:48 PM
Mario better be careful,the grass isn't always greener on the other side,better ask Ward and S.Smith.I can understand he wants a better deal but he's wanted here and our patience with him will be go along way.He gets off to a bad start with another team,it could blow up in his face.Numbers like he put up with us this past season won't fly with other clubs with tremendous expectations out of him,especially with the money he's seeking.Not being selfish but I just hope he's careful with his decision.

THE_New_York_Giants
02-26-2012, 12:49 PM
Mario better be careful,the grass isn't always greener on the other side,better ask Ward and S.Smith.I can understand he wants a better deal but he's wanted here and our patience with him will be go along way.He gets off to a bad start with another team,it could blow up in his face.Numbers like he put up with us this past season won't fly with other clubs with tremendous expectations out of him,especially with the money he's seeking.Not being selfish but I just hope he's careful with his decision.

His production will be easy to replace. Not worried about losing him in the least bit.

NYGRealityCheck
02-26-2012, 12:53 PM

seven teams have down it
The odds are against us from going back to back, you guys are so whiney, grow a thicker skin, he won the superbowl, now he wants money and to get the ball more both of which he probably can't get here, I want him back but seriously...

Odd are against the Giants? what were the odds against the 16-0 Patriots and dominating the 15-1 Packers? What were the odds on winning the Superbowl this year at the begginning of the season? Odds don't apply to the Giants.

By the way, I'm fine with Manningham leaving for more money and more playing time. It was inevitable. We're not whining, it was expected. I was just commenting on his comment.

cornerback30
02-26-2012, 12:58 PM

His production will be easy to replace. Not worried about losing him in the least bit.I know and I agree I just loved what we had in the three,its was a great trio,now it's time for Jerrnigan to step in there,with his speed if he can get rid of the butterflies and actually settle down he could be a great fill in.Barden I'm not quite sure about,I hope he does turn out to be a good one though,better for us if he does.

GMenNY21
02-26-2012, 01:01 PM
So long Rio.. you're not worth top dollar anyway... I'm not mad though , get your money... Just don't go the Steve Smith, plax route & sound like jack a s s when leaving

Gimaniac
02-26-2012, 01:01 PM
If he doesn't think we can win, I don't want him on the team.

See ya. Glad he is out of our division.

Tampon Bay is where Derrick Ward disappeared off the face of the earth. He did get mo money though.

FBomb
02-26-2012, 01:05 PM
Sadly, there will be backlash from overly sensitive fans that will tarnish his career as a Giant. Goof lord....it's not like he's Meki Barber. Chances are, we WON'T repeat....but you know what? Chances were that we weren't going to beat the Packers. Ya just never know.</P>

MM didn't say anything bad and people need to grow up.</P>

IamGiantsfan
02-26-2012, 01:08 PM

seven teams have down it

Odd are against the Giants? what were the odds against the 16-0 Patriots and dominating the 15-1 Packers? What were the odds on winning the Superbowl this year at the begginning of the season? Odds don't apply to the Giants.

By the way, I'm fine with Manningham leaving for more money and more playing time. It was inevitable. We're not whining, it was expected. I was just commenting on his comment.
Your reasoning here is because they've beaten the odds before they're going to again? You sound like a gambler who doesn't know when to quit
I want them to win and think they have a reasonable chance to go back to back, but for him to say it's against the odds isn't unreasonable because it is very hard to do

G.I. Ants
02-26-2012, 01:10 PM
I hope he gets a nice contract and have a successful career in TB.

DJloves
02-26-2012, 01:10 PM
This is sad. :( (yes I'm a girl)

myles2424
02-26-2012, 01:20 PM
That'll be the end of him.....this is the worst fanbase,team,organization down here in Tampa........the best $$$ isn't always the best move...

Gmen32
02-26-2012, 01:22 PM
I think Mario had a lot of potential and I was excited about the trio of young WRs we had.

That said, Mario just isn't worth #1 WR money at this stage of his career. He made some big catches this year but also made some big blunders and big drops. He was rough, let's be honest. So if he want's to go be the #1 on a less than average team like TB than good luck to him.

I think we can replace his production with Barden/Jernigan or whoever we may bring in.

Best of luck Mario and thanks.

NYGRealityCheck
02-26-2012, 01:23 PM

seven teams have down it

Your reasoning here is because they've beaten the odds before they're going to again? You sound like a gambler who doesn't know when to quit
I want them to win and think they have a reasonable chance to go back to back, but for him to say it's against the odds isn't unreasonable because it is very hard to do

I'm not a gambler by the way. Let's just end it there.

Yes, it is reasonable to say repeats are not likely based on odds.

However, Manningham says he would like to go to the Superbowl with another team. http://www.giants101.com/2012/02/25/mario-manningham-has-one-foot-out-the-door-does-not-think-the-new-york-giants-can-repeat/

That's borderline bs if he plans to do it with the Bucs.
If it's all about the money and playing time, then I agree with him on that.

barran21
02-26-2012, 01:37 PM
He gonna realize what happens when you leave Eli....going from a real QB to Josh Fatman...

jomo
02-26-2012, 01:41 PM
I find change to be exciting. It is also inevitable.</P>

One of our greatest strengths is the ability to deal with change.</P>

The NFL is set up to drive continual change and I expect JR and TC to deal with it just fine.</P>

P.S. All the best to MM (be smart with your $$ young man). I haven't been his greatest fan over the yearsbut he had an excellent year in 2011 and that catch will make him a permanent part of our Giants family.</P>

Go Blue!!</P>

NYtoSanDiego
02-26-2012, 02:00 PM
his statements of a non repeat is just convincing himself of leaving and at the same time i'm sure he's hurt.

like ive said before we and the giants will miss him more than we think. i'm not fully sold on ramses and jerrel. one is too slow and the other one too short to fill marios shoes.

G-Men Surg.
02-26-2012, 02:03 PM
Good for him , nothing but the best for MM !

The Notorious B.I.G BLUE
02-26-2012, 02:29 PM
I'm all for MM getting his money. Infact I think he will be a beast in another easier offense. However the parting shot are not necessary.

Pierre-Paul
02-26-2012, 02:44 PM
Go make your money Mario. I hope he gets a big contract. Hope he doesn't do well either. This way everyone wins - except the team that took one of our guys, tried to fit him in their system and wasted a lot of money on him. And... thanks man. That was one hell of a catch.

IamGiantsfan
02-26-2012, 02:53 PM

seven teams have down it

However, Manningham says he would like to go to the Superbowl with another team. http://www.giants101.com/2012/02/25/mario-manningham-has-one-foot-out-the-door-does-not-think-the-new-york-giants-can-repeat/

Never said you were a gambler.

& yes Manningham is speaking bs if he thinks he can do it with the bucs

IamGiantsfan
02-26-2012, 02:53 PM

seven teams have down it

Never said you were a gambler.

& yes Manningham is speaking bs if he thinks he can do it with the bucs

SweetZombieJesus
02-26-2012, 02:59 PM

“He (Eli) is (a good quarterback), but there are a lot of good
quarterbacks in this league,” Manningham said. “I just want the ball
more, that’s all.”

Have fun "getting the ball more" on a loser franchise. And by all means keep running backwards every time you catch the ball and have fun waiting for the Bucs to make the playoffs let alone win a Super Bowl.

The parting shots were unnecessary.

blueomaha
02-26-2012, 03:02 PM
Not likely to repeat as champions huh... Thanks for the one catch, goodbye.don't know where that came from...surprising...just saying....

FBomb
02-26-2012, 03:30 PM
Not likely to repeat as champions huh... Thanks for the one catch, goodbye.don't know where that came from...surprising...just saying....
</P>

I do....A: He isn't very smart to begin with.....and B: He's trying to convince himself the Bucs are a contender. </P>

People need to take it for what it's worth......not much....and not let it bother them. We got what we needed from him and now he can take the money. He's already got a ring.</P>

bflo23
02-26-2012, 03:46 PM
I am fine with Manningham wanting more money and wanting more catches. However, I think it is wrong for him to diss the Giants's chance for winning the super bowl when he is going to the 4-12 Bucs. Giants have a much better chance to win the super bowl than the bucs!

M0rbid
02-26-2012, 04:26 PM
Tampa Bay Giants. Let me guess, they're going go after another former/current Giants player.

prymaxevintage
02-26-2012, 04:31 PM
Thats EXACTLY how I feel..

bashful
02-26-2012, 04:53 PM
that comment was uncalled for. Here you go bud, who is going throw you the ball and second you need to overcome your mental lapses- that is why you lost your job.

BlueBlitzer
02-26-2012, 05:12 PM
I live down here the Bucs suck. In fact all the Florida teams suck down here.

RoanokeFan
02-26-2012, 05:24 PM

Ease up, it's a business to them. He didn't get more snaps because he wasn't playing better than the two guys in front of him. Somewhere else, who knows?

Dirt66
02-26-2012, 05:24 PM
Hey MM, Great catch in the SB, Thanks for everything....now STFU and don't let the door hit ya!

flimflam
02-26-2012, 05:27 PM
This is why JR brilliantly drafted Jerrel Jernigan last year. Some baords had JJ as the 4th rated WR last year. Jernigan is a speed demon, and I think will be a capable replacement for Mario.

Also, no offense to Mario, but Nick and Cruz are far more important for the Giants to resign and allocated their money to, not Mario.

miked1958
02-26-2012, 05:38 PM
We were told by shockey and Tiki we were not contenders. Then we had Mitchell, Ward and Robbins all leave. They also all disappeared with their new teams. They became invisible just like Steve Smith. Kevin Boss and Barry Cofield.. Oh and throw in Plax for not resigning with giants and going with Jets for a better chance to win SB.

FIFTY6G-MAN
02-26-2012, 05:40 PM
his statements of a non repeat is just convincing himself of leaving and at the same time i'm sure he's hurt. like ive said before we and the giants will miss him more than we think. i'm not fully sold on ramses and jerrel. one is too slow and the other one too short to fill marios shoes.I fully support this statement. except he should have kept the "repeat"part to himself,family,and friends. Lets not spill that stuffto the weasels.. aka the media.</P>

I am glad he was on our team and will continue to support him on the Bucs. Spend your money wisley MM. Plus dont burn any bridges along the way.(Tiki,Shockey,Plax,SS)</P>

miked1958
02-26-2012, 05:45 PM
Just like in those other years we found people to step up and step in to fill the rolls. When toomer retired and plax went down we were in a scramble and had tons of threads about bringing in a vet WR like Braylon Edwards and others. Now without spending tons of money we came up with the bear core of receivers in the NFL.
I think we will do it Again. Let MM go and make his money and anyone else that wants to follow him.

The giants are good like that. Their FO is great at drafting the right people (even though we lost one of the best talent evaluators) to fill roles.. And as a whole it all works out. When these guys go off and try to get greedy they find out that it wasn't just them but the team around them that made them better overall.

miked1958
02-26-2012, 05:48 PM
I think the guys we have we fill in fine. Devin Thomas, barden, JJ...

Or even if BJ leaves.. Then Andre Brown, D. Scott and Ware will step up, get it down in bigger roles.
We will be fine.

Then a whole NEW SET OF EX GIANTS PLAYERS CAN SIT BACK AND WATCH THE GIANTS WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WHILE THEY SPEND THEIR EXTRA MILLIONS. LOL

ANON837
02-26-2012, 05:50 PM
Its the nature of the business. I'm not mad at him at all. Get your money while you can. Thanks for the memories and a kick ***** catch in the SB.

jjj45
02-26-2012, 06:03 PM
I still remember when he broke out against the Cowboys. Good times. Thanks for everything Mario!

http://www.inquisitr.com/wp-content/2011/09/Mario-Manningham-New-York-Giants-Wide-Receiver.jpg

miked1958
02-26-2012, 06:45 PM
REPORT:* MARIO MANNINGHAM EXPECTED TO SIGN WITH TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS (http://www.giants101.com/2012/02/26/report-mario-manningham-expected-to-sign-with-tampa-bay-buccaneers/)

"The Tampa Bay Buccaneers (http://www.giants101.com/tag/tampa-bay-buccaneers/) will continue their pilfering of the
<a class="st_tag internal_tag" title="Posts tagged with New York Giants" href="http://www.giants101.com/tag/new-york-giants/" rel="tag nofollow">New York
Giants</a> when free agency begins, and are expected to sign wide receiver <a class="st_tag internal_tag" title="Posts tagged with Mario Manningham" href="http://www.giants101.com/tag/mario-manningham/" rel="tag nofollow">Mario
Manningham</a> reports Clarke Judge of CBS Sports (http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6384866/34996521).

</p><div style="DISPLAY: none"><a class="st_tag internal_tag" title="Posts tagged with New York Giants" href="http://www.giants101.com/tag/new-york-giants/" rel="tag nofollow">New York
Giants</a> <a class="st_tag internal_tag" title="Posts tagged with Mario Manningham" href="http://www.giants101.com/tag/mario-manningham/" rel="tag nofollow">Mario
Manningham</a> (L) fails to catch a pass as he is interfered with by Buffalo
Bills Drayton Florence (R) in the second quarter during their NFL (http://www.giants101.com/tag/nfl/) football (http://www.giants101.com/tag/football/)
game in East Rutherford, New Jersey, October 16, 2011. REUTERS/Ray Stubblebine
(UNITED STATES - Tags: SPORT FOOTBALL (http://www.giants101.com/tag/football/))</div>
<div style="MARGIN: 5px">

<div style="POSITION: relative">

<div style="FLOAT: left">

</div></div></div>

<blockquote>

"Manningham is expected to follow former Giants' assistant Mike Sullivan to
Tampa Bay (http://www.giants101.com/tag/tampa-bay/).
Sullivan, who was the Giants' quarterbacks coach, recently took a job as <a class="st_tag internal_tag" title="Posts tagged with Tampa Bay" href="http://www.giants101.com/tag/tampa-bay/" rel="tag nofollow">Tampa
Bay</a>'s offensive coordinator," Judge wrote.</p></blockquote>

This news comes less than 24 hours after Manningham said there was a 75% chance he wouldn't be back with the team (http://www.giants101.com/2012/02/25/mario-manningham-has-one-foot-out-the-door-does-not-think-the-new-york-giants-can-repeat/), and that they're
not likely to repeat as Super Bowl champions.</p>

While speaking with the media at the NFL (http://www.giants101.com/tag/nfl/) Combine, General Manager Jerry Reese conceded to Mario's 75% figure (http://www.giants101.com/2012/02/26/new-york-giants-gm-jerry-reese-says-osi-umenyiora-extension-could-happen/), and acknowledged
that free agents coming off of Super Bowl victories are often looking for big
money.</p>
<blockquote>

“Obviously, players, when free agency comes around for them, they want to
make as much money as possible,” Reese said. “We’ll see how it
unfolds.”</p></blockquote>

Not only does Super Mario want more money, he wants more passes thrown his
way … two things Big Blue just can't give him. So, once again, the business side
of the game rears its ugly head for the Giants and they'll now be looking to
fill a hole at wide receiver; something that could possibly come via promotion
from within (see: Ramses Barden and Jerrel Jernigan).</p>

In Tampa, Mario will have the luxury of working with Mike Sullivan, so he
won't have to extend himself learning a completely new system. He'll also be
playing in warm weather, which is another commodity he was seeking in free
agency."</p>
Well the last guy that made THE CATCH OF THE SUPER BOWL was released the following season. This years guy that made that catch was MM. If he feels he needs to go to TB because the giants can't repeat (LOL) let him go.

miked1958
02-26-2012, 06:47 PM
We will have others that will step in so fast and do so well ( just like Cruz did with the SS 12 situation) that we will all say Mario who?

prymaxevintage
02-26-2012, 07:14 PM

Ease up, it's a business to them.* He didn't get more snaps because he wasn't playing better than the two guys in front of him.* Somewhere else, who knows?

It was still unneeded for him to talk down about his soon to be former team.

prymaxevintage
02-26-2012, 07:15 PM
We were told by shockey and Tiki we were not contenders. Then we had Mitchell, Ward and Robbins all leave. They also all disappeared with their new teams. They became invisible just like Steve Smith. Kevin Boss and Barry Cofield.. Oh and throw in Plax for not resigning with giants and going with Jets for a better chance to win SB.

love this

UmenYiourAnIdiot
02-26-2012, 07:16 PM
FA really killed the dynasty teams. I think Mario still has upside.

Voldamort
02-26-2012, 07:29 PM
sullivan really likes him

JPP
02-26-2012, 08:38 PM

seven teams have down it

That is pretty hypocritical, whining about the whiners.

His comments are definitely out of place. Is he right of course the chance of us winning back to back is slim to none. But you don't say that in the same breathe as "75% I'm outta here" and really what kind of knob uses percentage in this way. This definitely screams fading into obscurity I want the ball more(work for it), I want more money(he is not a top 2 receiver he got beat out by a UDFA), I want warm weather(sounds like he is going to retire not play ball), there is lots of great QB's out there(not appreciating what he has). I completely respect his decision and his ability to do so but this is poorly executed to say the least but I guess as long as it isn't Philly or the Cowgirls it could be worse.

flimflam
02-26-2012, 10:08 PM
We cannot continue to develop WRs that produce year in and year out. We do have to retain them once in a while for the sake of continuity and chemistry. I mean ****, Eli has had to go from Amani, to Plax, to Shockey, to S.Smith, to Micks, to Cruz, to Manningham etc.

People forget that the WRs success is not just a product of our system, but their talent to. There is no guarantee Barden, Jerningan, etc will amount to anything. Just look at how crappy Mark Clayton, Derek Hagan, Devin Thomas, etc played in our starters absence.

If we lose Nicks and Cruz, I will flip. It would be nice to be able to keep the triumvirate of Nics, Cruz, and Maniningham intact for half a decade more.

Breezely
02-26-2012, 10:47 PM
In defense of Mario. . . . Nah, my bad. . . . I can't defend him but I will note that he is not an intelligent interview ever. He said what he said but probably said it because it was probably presented to him in that manner by a rival or his agent. They probably told him to go with the money because the chances of repeating are long for a Superbowl Champion.

BigBlue1971
02-26-2012, 10:54 PM
unless the Bucs bring someone else in, Mario could be battling for the #1 spot if he goes there!</P>

looking at their receivers he has a great chance to be the #1! </P>

Mike Smith shouldnt be hard to beat out!</P>

Flip Empty
02-26-2012, 11:07 PM
We cannot continue to develop WRs that produce year in and year out. We do have to retain them once in a while for the sake of continuity and chemistry. I mean ****, Eli has had to go from Amani, to Plax, to Shockey, to S.Smith, to Micks, to Cruz, to Manningham etc.
Toomer got old, Plax shot himself, Shockey wanted out and Smith got hurt - all things which were out of the team's hands. "Micks" was drafted to be a franchise player so won't be going anywhere, and Cruz and Manningham aren't #1 receivers so the situation there is no different to what every other quarterback in the league faces. Teams change from year to year, it's just the way the league works.

unless the Bucs bring someone else in, Mario could be battling for the #1 spot if he goes there!</P>

looking at their receivers he has a great chance to be the #1! </P>

Mike Smith shouldnt be hard to beat out!</P>
You mean Mike Williams? He's great. The Bucs were a win away from making the playoffs a season ago. They're an extremely young team with a lot of potential. I wouldn't sleep on them.

JJC7301
02-27-2012, 12:03 AM

Better chance of repeating than TB has of winning one in the near future.

Thanks for the memories, MM, and good luck in TB.

Spytheweb
02-27-2012, 02:10 AM
Like many other Giants who looked for a big paydays, he'll get it and in 3 or 4 years will be out of the league.

nygfanmaybe
02-27-2012, 04:33 AM
My guess is that before MM got to the NFL, he was always the #1 go to guy. Now he is #3 behind Nicks and Cruz. I'm guessing that it is hard for him to swallow this and, besides the money, which is probably the biggest factor, he wants to go back to being that guy. I wish him well because I think he already proved in NY that he doesn't have the smarts to be that guy...maybe he will mature into it. We shall see.

Flip Empty
02-27-2012, 05:18 AM
My guess is that before MM got to the NFL, he was always the #1 go to guy. Now he is #3 behind Nicks and Cruz. I'm guessing that it is hard for him to swallow this and, besides the money, which is probably the biggest factor, he wants to go back to being that guy. I wish him well because I think he already proved in NY that he doesn't have the smarts to be that guy...maybe he will mature into it. We shall see.
There are much simpler offenses out there. If he finds a team which caters to his strengths he will do well.

Antwuan
02-27-2012, 05:37 AM
I wish Mario Manningham all of the best with the Bucs if he signs there. At least he's not going to a division rival.

MikeIsaGiant
02-27-2012, 08:22 AM
I'm happy for him, and really don't care as much.

Problem is, many people think we don't have a situation at WR spot.

I do if manningham leaves.

Nicks, cruz, DT/Jernigan/hixon?

What happens if Nicks or Cruz goes down during the season?

Would we be stuck with Nicks/DT/Jernigan/Hixon?
or Cruz/DT/jernigan/hixon?

Scary IMO..

Flip Empty
02-27-2012, 09:35 AM

Scary IMO..
What happens if Eli goes down? Anything can happen, it's best to view the team in a "what is" state rather than a "what if".

kbusch22
02-27-2012, 11:11 AM
I'll never blame anybody for taking the money in the NFL. He should. But talking crap about the team on the way out is unneeded.

Don't the Bucs play in Metlife this year? Mario probably would have gotten a huge ovation upon his return. Now he's probably going to hear some boos for his comments. It's really unfortunate, because the SB catch on its own would have been a great high note to leave on.

giantsforce
02-27-2012, 11:19 AM

Scary IMO..
What happens if Eli goes down? Anything can happen, it's best to view the team in a "what is" state rather than a "what if".You are right. I think Reece and the FO has shown that they have that in mind. Judging by their actions last year, they have to work with the cap limit and that does not leave much room. It is inevitable that, after winning the SB, you will lose people. There are other teams rebuilding so they will go of whatever best is available. MM and perhaps the other Giants FAs will get more money somewhere else. As long as they core key players are signed up, then Reese will have to fill the void somehow. Besides MM was more of a utility WR rather than an every down WR. I am not sure that he can be that every down WR. We cannot tell the future so we will have to wait. Besides, this is an opportunity to see what the other WRs in waiting can do. Remember, if it weren't for SS leaving, Cruz may still be sitting on the bench. I think we have bigger issues in other positions to worry, such as TEs, O line and secondary.

BlueBlooded1979
02-27-2012, 01:51 PM
I would just like to know what compensation the Giants will get from the Bucs when the tampering charges are filed.

RoanokeFan
02-27-2012, 01:59 PM

Scary IMO..

We should probably wait for the final 53 to see how well or bad off we think they are. We have real needs to address but I wouldn't put WR at the top of the list.

RoanokeFan
02-27-2012, 01:59 PM
I would just like to know what compensation the Giants will get from the Bucs when the tampering charges are filed.

What tampering?

Morehead State
02-27-2012, 02:02 PM

What tampering?
</P>

Well since MM isn't allowed to talk to any teams and teams aren't allowed to talk to MM, I think it would definately be tampering.</P>

This kind of reporting drives me nuts. If indeed MM signs with Tampa, major red flag will show themselves with the NFL. The only way any media outlet would have this info is if there is behavior by a team in violation of NFL rules.</P>

Kruunch
02-27-2012, 02:20 PM

What tampering?
</P>

Well since MM isn't allowed to talk to any teams and teams aren't allowed to talk to MM, I think it would definately be tampering.</P>

This kind of reporting drives me nuts.* If indeed MM signs with Tampa, major red flag will show themselves with the NFL.* The only way any media outlet would have this info is if there is behavior by a team in violation of NFL rules.</P>

We go through this BS every year.

The tampering rules in the NFL are a joke as short of wire tapping phones, nothing can be proved.

There's a report that Romeo Crennel might get the Chiefs fined draft picks for "tampering" after he mentioned in an interview when asked about wanting Peyton Manning and answering, "Sure who wouldn't want him?!".

If that's the case, the Jets need to be fined about 5 years worth of draft picks.

It's a silly rule.

RoanokeFan
02-27-2012, 02:30 PM

What tampering?
</p>

Well since MM isn't allowed to talk to any teams and teams aren't allowed to talk to MM, I think it would definately be tampering.</p>

This kind of reporting drives me nuts. If indeed MM signs with Tampa, major red flag will show themselves with the NFL. The only way any media outlet would have this info is if there is behavior by a team in violation of NFL rules.</p>

I haven't seen anything from the Bucaneers or Mario's handlers that they've been talking. I'm not saying they aren't/haven't, but it would likely only be an issue if the GIANTS made it an issue, which I suspect they won't. After making their pitch to Mario, Reese has been quoted as saying he 75% sure Mario will leave town.

As far as I know, this, like the Scott story, are pure media hype.

Morehead State
02-27-2012, 02:34 PM

What tampering?
</P>

This kind of reporting drives me nuts. If indeed MM signs with Tampa, major red flag will show themselves with the NFL. The only way any media outlet would have this info is if there is behavior by a team in violation of NFL rules.</P>

I haven't seen anything from the Bucaneers or Mario's handlers that they've been talking. I'm not saying they aren't/haven't, but it would likely only be an issue if the GIANTS made it an issue, which I suspect they won't. After making their pitch to Mario, Reese has been quoted as saying he 75% sure Mario will leave town.

</P>

Yes but my point is simple.</P>

If this "report" is legit, it means the Bucs have to have talked to the media about a player who is currently on the roster of another team. In other words, they are guilty of tampering.</P>

Otherwise the story is pure garbage, based on nothing but idle speculation.</P>

Either way it smells to high heaven.</P>

gmen46
02-27-2012, 02:46 PM

What tampering?
</P>

This kind of reporting drives me nuts.* If indeed MM signs with Tampa, major red flag will show themselves with the NFL.* The only way any media outlet would have this info is if there is behavior by a team in violation of NFL rules.</P>

You could say that.

Or,

You could also say that the so-called "report" is a result of making the same assumption that everyone and his brother is making--that the likelihood of Manningham taking understandable advantage of his post season performances and going elsewhere for more money than the Giants will be willing to pay for a #3 WR is extremely high.

And,

You could also say that--

--since MM has evidently indicated there is a 75% chance of him landing elsewhere,

--since one of the primary reasons he has indicated a strong likelihood of going elsewhere is that he wants to be a higher priority receiver than he appears to be as a Giant ---and TB certainly is one team who does not currently have a WR who can be declared as definitIvely superior to MM

--and he has expressed a preference for a warmer climate as a home base

--and that of all the 31 other teams in the NFL, the only connection he has to any current non-Giants coach is his connection to TB's new OC (formerly his WR coach in 08 and 09)

all indicate a POSSIBILITY of MM going to TB.

It's called speculation, not tampering.

If I'm wrong on this, I'm wrong. But if I am, WHERE is the actual evidence that any untoward communication between Tampa Bay and Manningham has occurred?

Because I sure have not heard, read, or seen any evidence of tampering.

Morehead State
02-27-2012, 03:06 PM

What tampering?
</P>

You could say that. Or, You could also say that the so-called "report" is a result of making the same assumption that everyone and his brother is making--that the likelihood of Manningham taking understandable advantage of his post season performances and going elsewhere for more money than the Giants will be willing to pay for a #3 WR is extremely high. And, You could also say that-- --since MM has evidently indicated there is a 75% chance of him landing elsewhere, --since one of the primary reasons he has indicated a strong likelihood of going elsewhere is that he wants to be a higher priority receiver than he appears to be as a Giant ---and TB certainly is one team who does not currently have a WR who can be declared as definitIvely superior to MM --and he has expressed a preference for a warmer climate as a home base --and that of all the 31 other teams in the NFL, the only connection he has to any current non-Giants coach is his connection to TB's new OC (formerly his WR coach in 08 and 09) all indicate a POSSIBILITY of MM going to TB. It's called speculation, not tampering. If I'm wrong on this, I'm wrong. But if I am, WHERE is the actual evidence that any untoward communication between Tampa Bay and Manningham has occurred? Because I sure have not heard, read, or seen any evidence of tampering.</P>

Nice try.</P>

"Expected to sign with the Bucs" suggests that there is a far better than 50/50 chance. If its based on the speculation factors you listed, the reporter should be fired.</P>

Without knowledge provided from the Bucs, "expected to sign" is pure BS.</P>

nygsb42champs
02-27-2012, 03:21 PM
I have no problem with MM taking the money but why open your mouth and say we won't repeat?

gmen46
02-27-2012, 03:25 PM

What tampering?
</P>

You could say that. Or, You could also say that the so-called "report" is a result of making the same assumption that everyone and his brother is making--that the likelihood of Manningham taking understandable advantage of his post season performances and going elsewhere for more money than the Giants will be willing to pay for a #3 WR is extremely high. And, You could also say that-- --since MM has evidently indicated there is a 75% chance of him landing elsewhere, --since one of the primary reasons he has indicated a strong likelihood of going elsewhere is that he wants to be a higher priority receiver than he appears to be as a Giant ---and TB certainly is one team who does not currently have a WR who can be declared as definitIvely superior to MM --and he has expressed a preference for a warmer climate as a home base --and that of all the 31 other teams in the NFL, the only connection he has to any current non-Giants coach is his connection to TB's new OC (formerly his WR coach in 08 and 09) all indicate a POSSIBILITY of MM going to TB. It's called speculation, not tampering. If I'm wrong on this, I'm wrong. But if I am, WHERE is the actual evidence that any untoward communication between Tampa Bay and Manningham has occurred? Because I sure have not heard, read, or seen any evidence of tampering.</P>

Nice try.</P>

"Expected to sign with the Bucs" suggests that there is a far better than 50/50 chance.* If its based on the speculation factors you listed, the reporter should be fired.</P>

Nonetheless--

"Sources at the combine" saying it--even if any of the sources are indirectly from the Bucs, and we have no information confirming that is the case--is not the same as an official with the Buccaneers actually speaking with Manningham or his agent.

While I agree that the TB speculation is a valid speculation--for all the factors I listed and probably more--it does not automatically equate to actual tampering, ie actual discussion between the two parties. That's my only point.

And, "pure BS" from a sports report? Heaven forbid. Say it ain't so, Joe.

Down-lifer
02-27-2012, 03:28 PM

Yeah that rubbed me the wrong way as well . Are they likley to repeat ? No the odds are always tough to repeat in today's game but no offense to Mario he ain't the reason we will not repeatYea, what's up with that? Why would he even bother saying that? He's a good WR but I won't miss him, he can tend to be a huge liability. Giants will be fine with out him.

Morehead State
02-27-2012, 03:33 PM

What tampering?
</P>

Nice try.</P>

"Expected to sign with the Bucs" suggests that there is a far better than 50/50 chance. If its based on the speculation factors you listed, the reporter should be fired.</P>

Nonetheless-- "Sources at the combine" saying it--even if any of the sources are indirectly from the Bucs, and we have no information confirming that is the case--is not the same as an official with the Buccaneers actually speaking with Manningham or his agent. While I agree that the TB speculation is a valid speculation--for all the factors I listed and probably more--it does not automatically equate to actual tampering, ie actual discussion between the two parties. That's my only point. And, "pure BS" from a sports report? Heaven forbid. Say it ain't so, Joe.</P>

Would you agree that in order to say "Manningham is expected to sign with the Bucs" one would have to have direct information from the club.</P>

Other than that its pure speculation. And any of us can do that.</P>

Morehead State
02-27-2012, 03:37 PM
Not likely to repeat as champions huh... Thanks for the one catch, goodbye. Yeah that rubbed me the wrong way as well . Are they likley to repeat ? No the odds are always tough to repeat in today's game but no offense to Mario he ain't the reason we will not repeatYea, what's up with that? Why would he even bother saying that? He's a good WR but I won't miss him, he can tend to be a huge liability. Giants will be fine with out him.</P>

He "tends to be a huge liability"?</P>

</P>

In what way again was he a "liability"?</P>

Was it when he caught TD's passes in the Atlanta and GB playoff games?</P>

Or was it when he caught the huge TD in the 4th quarter against the Niners?</P>

Maybe it was when he made one of the greatest catches in SB history a few weeks ago?</P>

Maybe you can help me sort this out.</P>

Bottom line is that without Manningham, we don't win the SB this season....Period.</P>

</P>

calzonesays
02-27-2012, 05:43 PM
what's up with Tampa trying to take all Giants players/Coaching staff?

CruzMissle
02-27-2012, 06:53 PM
Great for the Bucs if this does happen. Much rather them than Chicago or any NFC:E team. I've always had a soft spot for the Bucs. I think Freeman has the chance to become a big time QB in the league and they already have a nice, young WR core. Hopefully Manningham can be somewhat of a leader to them. IF this happens of course.

RoanokeFan
02-27-2012, 07:05 PM

What tampering?
</p>

Well since MM isn't allowed to talk to any teams and teams aren't allowed to talk to MM, I think it would definately be tampering.</p>

This kind of reporting drives me nuts. If indeed MM signs with Tampa, major red flag will show themselves with the NFL. The only way any media outlet would have this info is if there is behavior by a team in violation of NFL rules.</p>

</p>

Yes but my point is simple.</p>

If this "report" is legit, it means the Bucs have to have talked to the media about a player who is currently on the roster of another team. In other words, they are guilty of tampering.</p>

Otherwise the story is pure garbage, based on nothing but idle speculation.</p>

Either way it smells to high heaven.</p>

I agree, but unless someone comes up with a smoking gun, this will fade away as we get closer to real football.

In an unrelated but related story, Romeo Crennel is "reportedly" in some tampering difficulty for simply opining that they might be interested in Peyton Manning when asked a question at the Combine

cken
02-27-2012, 07:10 PM
sorry Roanoke, didnt see that you have this thread going already...

RoanokeFan
02-27-2012, 07:13 PM

No problem, this story will be updated almost hourly now even if there aren't any updates [;)]

cken
02-27-2012, 07:19 PM

No problem, this story will be updated almost hourly now even if there aren't any updates* [;)]

Hahaha, of course. Keep up with the good work and posts :D

gmen46
02-27-2012, 08:05 PM

What tampering?
</P>

Nice try.</P>

"Expected to sign with the Bucs" suggests that there is a far better than 50/50 chance.* If its based on the speculation factors you listed, the reporter should be fired.</P>

Nonetheless-- "Sources at the combine" saying it--even if any of the sources are indirectly from the Bucs, and we have no information confirming that is the case--is not the same as an official with the Buccaneers actually speaking with Manningham or his agent. While I agree that the TB speculation is a valid speculation--for all the factors I listed and probably more--it does not automatically equate to actual tampering, ie actual discussion between the two parties. That's my only point. And, "pure BS" from a sports report? Heaven forbid. Say it ain't so, Joe.</P>

Would you agree that in order to say "Manningham is expected to sign with the Bucs" one would have to have direct information from the club.</P>

Other than that its pure speculation.* And any of us can do that.</P>

Yes. Speculation. That's what I'm saying.

And I agree with you. Any of us CAN do that. This thread is but one example of that.

And I'm not denying he may well end up with TB. But this "report" is not proof of any "tampering".

miked1958
02-27-2012, 11:02 PM
If you want to leave for more money then do it. U earned it. However leave being a SB hero with your head held high. No need to make the comment that we won't repeat. That's uncalled for.

The comment makes him look stupid. Does he think by him moving to TB he has a better chance winning a SB then if he stayed with giants? Silly. Take you're money and go

alau53
02-27-2012, 11:29 PM
if mm actually said gmen wont repeat then his 75% chance he wont be on the team goes to 100%..too bad since mm just lost some leverage with giants out of the mix

Morehead State
02-28-2012, 08:57 AM

What tampering?
</P>

Nice try.</P>

Other than that its pure speculation. And any of us can do that.</P>

Yes. Speculation. That's what I'm saying. And I agree with you. Any of us CAN do that. This thread is but one example of that. And I'm not denying he may well end up with TB. But this "report" is not proof of any "tampering".</P>

I never said it was proof of anything. I said that unless a team has broken NFL rules, the story is bogus.</P>

gmen46
02-28-2012, 05:20 PM

What tampering?
</P>

Nice try.</P>

Other than that its pure speculation.* And any of us can do that.</P>

Yes. Speculation. That's what I'm saying. And I agree with you. Any of us CAN do that. This thread is but one example of that. And I'm not denying he may well end up with TB. But this "report" is not proof of any "tampering".</P>

I never said it was proof of anything.* I said that unless a team has broken NFL rules, the story is bogus.</P>

Well, had you actually put it that way earlier in this thread, I would never had made any response in the first place. Because I obviously agree with your last sentence. The story IS bogus, at least as of right now.

Not to quibble (but I will, anyway), I was responding to your original comment in this thread---

"The only way any media outlet would have this info is if there is behavior by a team in violation of NFL rules."

Put more narrowly, I was taking issue with the "the only way any media outlet would have this info" part of your comment.

In the end, we are both on the same side of the argument. Until we see any evidence of someone with the Tampa Bay organization actually speaking with anyone who officially represents Manningham--and to date we have not seen such indication--the "story" is bogus. It is speculation, as I have said all along.

I mean, if one thinks about it for just 1 minute (or less), how would it profit Manningham to agree to anything with ANY specific team before the FA market opens up on March 13? If he, in fact, HAS "committed" to the Bucs--which some here infer from the "expected to sign with TB" phrase in the so-called "report" that provoked this thread-- would he refuse a better offer from another team on March 13?

And if the answer is "no, he would not"--or "he probably would not"--then doesn't that make this "report"merely speculative, ie, "bogus" as you put it?

I think we're arguing the same thing, just from 2 different corners of the room.