PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Hill

BluGiantPies
02-26-2012, 03:50 PM
6'4 215 4.3 forty and almost a 40 inch vertical and the fastest ten yard split ever recorded. Would he be in the discussion at 32?

Neverend
02-26-2012, 04:04 PM
6'4 215 4.3 forty and almost a 40 inch vertical and the fastest ten yard split ever recorded. Would he be in the discussion at 32?

Ever recorded? Oh my

Lets not too excited about this guy. Look at the offense he came from. With this team he immediately becomes somewhat of a project. Plus hes had issues with coming up with the easy drop.

Yes, he was extremely impressive and has to be in first round discussion now. Its not just his straight line speed, his ball skills and body control in the air is very great as well. Still... hes a work in progress and needs to develop a route tree otherwise he'll be just a one-dimensional type player on the giants

BluGiantPies
02-26-2012, 04:23 PM
Yes he came from the triple option. He was underused. We are a team that can be patient with him BC we have two other dominant pass catchers and we don't need him to be the saviour right away. That would be the best situation for him to succeed. And yes it was the fastest ten yard split ever electronically recorded, the previous record was Chris Johnson at 1.4 flat look it up.

myles2424
02-26-2012, 05:44 PM
Don't be surprised when a team falls in love with the guy & takes him before were on the board...

rainierjef
02-26-2012, 05:57 PM
Don't be surprised when a team falls in love with the guy & takes him before were on the board...
this.

some team is going to fall in love with this combine numbers and reference him to the likes of megatron 2.0 i see the pats taking a shot at him in one of their 2 first round picks

Redeyejedi
02-26-2012, 06:05 PM

Ever recorded? Oh my

Lets not too excited about this guy. Look at the offense he came from. With this team he immediately becomes somewhat of a project. Plus hes had issues with coming up with the easy drop.

Yes, he was extremely impressive and has to be in first round discussion now. Its not just his straight line speed, his ball skills and body control in the air is very great as well. Still... hes a work in progress and needs to develop a route tree otherwise he'll be just a one-dimensional type player on the giantsThe Drop in the UNC game was the worst drop I saw all season

BluGiantPies
02-26-2012, 06:06 PM
I hope not but if some team does fall in love and grab him it pushes another more talented player down so while I would love to get him it wouldn't be terrible if he was selected before we pick either

bLuereverie
02-26-2012, 07:10 PM
All it takes is for one team. Especially if Mike Wallace leaves Pitt.

Drops like against UNC happen all the time. Anxiety of being "too open".

Voldamort
02-26-2012, 07:18 PM

Drops like against UNC happen all the time. Anxiety of being "too open". why not?

bLuereverie
02-26-2012, 07:31 PM

Drops like against UNC happen all the time. Anxiety of being "too open". why not?

Getting 1000posts a month does not make you cool if you can't type more than two sentences.

heavyhitter
02-26-2012, 09:45 PM

Ever recorded? Oh my

Yes, he was extremely impressive and has to be in first round discussion now. Its not just his straight line speed, his ball skills and body control in the air is very great as well. Still... hes a work in progress and needs to develop a route tree otherwise he'll be just a one-dimensional type player on the giantsThe Drop in the UNC game was the worst drop I saw all season<font size="2">Drops are a part of the game &amp; it happens to the best of them. NFLdraftscout.com had Hakeem Nicks as the best WR prospect in his class when it comes down to the HANDS attribute. He has shown his fair share of drops but makes up for them w/ plenty of big time plays. Wouldn't trade Nicks for any WR in that class. </font>
http://si.wsj.net/public/resources/images/NY-BJ829_GIANTS_DV_20111228212404.jpg

<cite></cite>

heavyhitter
02-26-2012, 09:52 PM
6'4 215 4.3 forty and almost a 40 inch vertical and the fastest ten yard split ever recorded. Would he be in the discussion at 32?<font size="2">Stephen Hill &amp; Michael Floyd really looked good in all drills today. "Touchdown" Tommy Streeter has got serious potential as well as Hill as "deep ball threats" or "red zone threats". Both will get drafted specifically to blow the tops off defenses.</font>

cornerback30
02-26-2012, 09:54 PM

Ever recorded? Oh my

Yes, he was extremely impressive and has to be in first round discussion now. Its not just his straight line speed, his ball skills and body control in the air is very great as well. Still... hes a work in progress and needs to develop a route tree otherwise he'll be just a one-dimensional type player on the giantsThe Drop in the UNC game was the worst drop I saw all season<font size="2">Drops are a part of the game &amp; it happens to the best of them. NFLdraftscout.com had Hakeem Nicks as the best WR prospect in his class when it comes down to the HANDS attribute. He has shown his fair share of drops but makes up for them w/ plenty of big time plays. Wouldn't trade Nicks for any WR in that class. </font>

<cite></cite>
wouldn't trade Nicks for anyone

heavyhitter
02-26-2012, 09:59 PM

Ever recorded? Oh my

<cite></cite>
wouldn't trade Nicks for anyone
<font size="2">Not even Megatron, right?</font>

BlueSanta
02-26-2012, 10:16 PM
Even before the combine there were rumors this kid would explode.

In 1 way, there is a serious comparison to be made between Hill and Stanford's Coby Fleener. They both share the same ridiculous upside. But, because of the limmited use in their respective college offenses, there are going to be unknowns. Any time there is an unknown, you have risk.

What we do know is that in both cases when asked to perform their role, albeit a minor role in each player's respective offense, they were very good players.

BluGiantPies
02-26-2012, 10:44 PM

In 1 way, there is a serious comparison to be made between Hill and Stanford's Coby Fleener. They both share the same ridiculous upside. But, because of the limmited use in their respective college offenses, there are going to be unknowns. Any time there is an unknown, you have risk.

What we do know is that in both cases when asked to perform their role, albeit a minor role in each player's respective offense, they were very good players.

As shown by hill's 29.3 yards per catch. What I don't understand is if the kid has that much ability how could u waste his talents only throwing to him 3-5 times per game even if it is a triple option offense. That of should a found some ways to get the ball in this guys hands more with speed like that.

BlueSanta
02-26-2012, 11:00 PM

As shown by hill's 29.3 yards per catch. What I don't understand is if the kid has that much ability how could u waste his talents only throwing to him 3-5 times per game even if it is a triple option offense. That of should a found some ways to get the ball in this guys hands more with speed like that.

I think you are asking the wrong question to the wrong person.

If you are that athletic coming out of high school and you play a position like WR. WHY ON EARTH would you want to go to a college program that only passes the ball ~20% of offensive plays?

I get that being self centered is bad. But cmon, thats the opposite of self centered, thats down right self destructive.

jhamburg
02-26-2012, 11:28 PM

If you are that athletic coming out of high school and you play a position like WR. WHY ON EARTH would you want to go to a college program that only passes the ball ~20% of offensive plays?

I get that being self centered is bad. But cmon, thats the opposite of self centered, thats down right self destructive.

Well he was only like the 90th ranked WR of his recruiting class, he was by no means a surefire starter at every program.

BluGiantPies
02-26-2012, 11:53 PM

I like your logic man. Lol I just wanted to get an opinion on it, thx for the reply.

BluGiantPies
02-26-2012, 11:55 PM
Ahhhhha so I guess he didn't get crazy offers, and outta the ones he did maybe he saw the recent success of GT wr in the NFL and figured he'd get a chance to shine.

BluGiantPies
02-26-2012, 11:55 PM
Ahhhhha so I guess he didn't get crazy offers, and outta the ones he did maybe he saw the recent success of GT wr in the NFL and figured he'd get a chance to shine.

heavyhitter
02-27-2012, 12:05 AM

Well he was only like the 90th ranked WR of his recruiting class, he was by no means a surefire starter at every program.<font size="2">Yeah, he wasn't highly recruited coming out of HS. He had offers from Boston College, GT, Mississippi, Miss St., North Carolina, UAB, and UCF. He's from Georgia so he probably wanted to go to school &amp; play ball close to home. </font>

BlueSanta
02-27-2012, 02:12 AM

Well he was only like the 90th ranked WR of his recruiting class, he was by no means a surefire starter at every program.<font size="2">Yeah, he wasn't highly recruited coming out of HS. He had offers from Boston College, GT, Mississippi, Miss St., North Carolina, UAB, and UCF. He's from Georgia so he probably wanted to go to school &amp; play ball close to home. </font>

YA, im not rly judging him. Who knows his motives, they could be really good ones, like to stay close to help take care of his familiy or w/e.

I was more kidding that not. It is interesting tho.

Kruunch
02-27-2012, 08:09 AM

Every .... frickin .... Combine.

Let's not forget the kid couldn't catch a cold.

BlueSanta
02-27-2012, 09:29 AM

Not true at all.

There is a different between not being able to catch and not being thrown to.

Georgia tech averaged about 10 passes per game, compared to 55 rushing attempts per game. Only about 3 of those passes were to Hill.

He also might be the very best runblocking WR in this draft.Actually, he might be the best downfield blocking wr to come out of the draft in 5 years or more.

He has done everything asked of him. Its not his fault if his team didnt throw the ball much.

Redeyejedi
02-27-2012, 01:04 PM

Not true at all.

Georgia tech averaged about 10 passes per game, compared to 55 rushing attempts per game. Only about 3 of those passes were to Hill.

He also might be the very best runblocking WR in this draft.Actually, he might be the best downfield blocking wr to come out of the draft in 5 years or more.

He has done everything asked of him. Its not his fault if his team didnt throw the ball much.

He has concentration issues for sure. Maybe its because of the lack of targets

Redeyejedi
02-27-2012, 01:09 PM
Stephen Hill vs Georgia &amp; Middle Tenn Sta… (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaL6NvoHRT4)

Kruunch
02-27-2012, 01:11 PM

Not true at all.

So they didn't target him enough in the throwing drills at the Combine?

Because he looked VERY mediocre in that regard.

BluGiantPies
02-27-2012, 01:48 PM
Everything I've read said he looked great in all the drills including those.

Kruunch
02-27-2012, 02:25 PM
Everything I've read said he looked great in all the drills including those.

Nope ... dropped hafl the balls (literally) thrown at him.

Very fast guy ... moderate receiving abilities.

This is the kind of guy the Raiders would have reached for in ages past because of his 40 time and then watch him catch 30 balls per year.

Meh.

Redeyejedi
02-27-2012, 05:19 PM

Not true at all.

So they didn't target him enough in the throwing drills at the Combine?

Because he looked VERY mediocre in that regard.I didnt see that part im talking about the games. He has issues catching the ball thats for sure

BluGiantPies
02-27-2012, 05:28 PM
He's deffinetly a risk but if he ever develops watch out his potential is thru the roof. His size speed combo is very very rare.

BlueSanta
02-28-2012, 12:52 AM

He also turned down Georgia.

In light of that, I think my point still stands.

heavyhitter
02-28-2012, 03:14 AM

<font size="2">Yeah, he got an offer from UGA after he had already committed to GT late in the recruiting process. I'm pretty sure Hill was a hoops star in HS as well, not sure if he actually played basketball at GT. </font>

heavyhitter
02-28-2012, 03:17 AM

<font size="2">Yeah, he got an offer from UGA after he had already committed to GT late in the recruiting process. I'm pretty sure Hill was a hoops star in HS as well, not sure if he actually played basketball at GT. </font>
<font size="2">Here's his 40 yard dash for the cash video: <font color="#0000FF">watch the clip of Stephen Hill running (http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/09000d5d82736e20/Stephen-Hill-is-fastest-receiver)</font></font>

BurnerNYG
02-28-2012, 03:57 AM
Who cares how fast he is... the guy only had 28 catches. Who wants another 2-3 year project?

michaelkhan3
02-28-2012, 04:27 AM

I saw him talking on NFL Network and he said he wanted his mom to be bale to watch him play.

michaelkhan3
02-28-2012, 04:29 AM
Who cares how fast he is... the guy only had 28 catches. Who wants another 2-3 year project?

I know he probably won't turn out the same but that's what we said about JPP and look at him now. If we take him I'll be excited about it

Kruunch
02-28-2012, 08:12 AM

I know he probably won't turn out the same but that's what we said about JPP and look at him now. If we take him I'll be excited about it

The JPPs of the world are the exception not the rule.

If Stephen Hill was a 4th rounder, I'd agree with you.

Some momos are now projecting him as high as the 22nd pick overall.

Lawl lawl lawl.

Redeyejedi
02-28-2012, 08:28 AM

Lawl lawl lawl.Demaryius Thomas was successful and he came from there I believe is the line of thinking.Some of the same type of flaws as well. He was more productive though

Kruunch
02-28-2012, 10:02 AM

Lawl lawl lawl.Demaryius Thomas was successful and he came from there I believe is the line of thinking.Some of the same type of flaws as well. He was more productive though

Ok ... but Stephen Hill is most often compared to Darius Heyward-Bey .... sooooooo ....

Kid may turn out to be a good receiver. He's certainly fast enough in a straight line. However he doesn't have #1 receiver skills (past speed) and I wouldn't waste a 1st or 2nd round pick on a #2 or #3 receiver candidate (then again I'm not a GM either so I'm as full of **** as anyone :D )

jhamburg
02-28-2012, 10:36 AM

Ok ... but Stephen Hill is most often compared to Darius Heyward-Bey .... sooooooo ....

Kid may turn out to be a good receiver. He's certainly fast enough in a straight line. However he doesn't have #1 receiver skills (past speed) and I wouldn't waste a 1st or 2nd round pick on a #2 or #3 receiver candidate (then again I'm not a GM either so I'm as full of **** as anyone :D )

DHB caught for almost 1000 yards last year. Not exactly a bust, although he wasn't polished coming out so he took longer to develop.

No one is saying to draft this guy 7th overall either...

jhamburg
02-28-2012, 10:36 AM

DHB caught for almost 1000 yards last year. Not exactly a bust, although he wasn't polished coming out so he took longer to develop.

Kruunch
02-28-2012, 11:27 AM

True but DHB was also expected to produce a lot more then he has. So while his numbers weren't *bad* in 2011, they still haven't lived up to expectation either.

Similarly, Hill is starting to be touted as a first round talent (granted late first round). Two weeks ago he was a 4th round prospect. That's the pitfall that is the Combine and a fast 40 speed.

jhamburg
02-28-2012, 12:07 PM

True but DHB was also expected to produce a lot more then he has. So while his numbers weren't *bad* in 2011, they still haven't lived up to expectation either.

Similarly, Hill is starting to be touted as a first round talent (granted late first round). Two weeks ago he was a 4th round prospect. That's the pitfall that is the Combine and a fast 40 speed.

He *has* lived up to expectations. Everyone knew he would struggle early on learning NFL offenses and routes, and hopefully his athleticism would enable him to become a decent/good WR after a few years. That's exactly what happened.

DHB only failed to live up to Al Davis' expectations. Everyone else knew he was a late 1st/2nd round prospect, behind Crabtree, Maclin, Nicks, and Britt. He's infamous because he was taken way too early.

if someone takes Hill before Blackmon I'll be the first to say it's a stupid pick, but there's nothing wrong with us considering him at our position.

Kruunch
02-28-2012, 01:18 PM

He *has* lived up to expectations. Everyone knew he would struggle early on learning NFL offenses and routes, and hopefully his athleticism would enable him to become a decent/good WR after a few years. That's exactly what happened.

DHB only failed to live up to Al Davis' expectations. Everyone else knew he was a late 1st/2nd round prospect, behind Crabtree, Maclin, Nicks, and Britt. He's infamous because he was taken way too early.

if someone takes Hill before Blackmon I'll be the first to say it's a stupid pick, but there's nothing wrong with us considering him at our position.

No.

You don't draft a WR 7th overall and be a sub 1000 yard receiver and get to say "you lived up to expectations".

Whatever everyone thought before or since is regardless ... the point that he is NOT what he was drafted as is a testament to the point I was making ... fast Combine speeds that move players up (or down) in the draft is just a pitfall.

i.e. - Stephen Hill's draft ascension is a pitfall. He will not be (most likely) anywhere near as good as what he will be drafted at (if he goes in the first 2 rounds).

jhamburg
02-28-2012, 01:50 PM

No.

You don't draft a WR 7th overall and be a sub 1000 yard receiver and get to say "you lived up to expectations".

Whatever everyone thought before or since is regardless ... the point that he is NOT what he was drafted as is a testament to the point I was making ... fast Combine speeds that move players up (or down) in the draft is just a pitfall.

You don't get it.

Stephen HIll is a mid-round prospect who moved up to late 1st/2nd round consideration due to a strong combine.

DHB was a mid-round prospect who moved up to late 1st/2nd round consideration due to a strong combine.

Teams were RIGHT to move him up their draft boards due to his combine performance.
With his numbers last year, he lived up to that draft status. The fact that Al Davis made an insane pick at #7 doesn't change that fact. He DID NOT live up to the #7 pick. There is a huge difference.

Like I said, if we were talking about drafting Hill at #7 I'd say GTFO. But that's not what we're talking about.

Kruunch
02-28-2012, 03:09 PM
Like I said, if we were talking about drafting Hill at #7 I'd say GTFO. But that's not what we're talking about.

And I contend that if you draft Hill anywhere north of the 4th round you'll basically be getting the same value as if you drafted him #7 overall.

He's a very fast, very mediocre receiver (imo of course).

giantman8493
02-28-2012, 03:18 PM
ill take him in the second round. im sure Reese will make the right decision.

BluGiantPies
02-28-2012, 05:41 PM

And I contend that if you draft Hill anywhere north of the 4th round you'll basically be getting the same value as if you drafted him #7 overall.

Actually I saw him projected to go as high as the niners pick weeks before the combine so obv some people think he's not just a medicore reciever. At worst he's a medicore receiver with a rediculously high upside.

BluGiantPies
02-28-2012, 10:11 PM

Kid may turn out to be a good receiver. He's certainly fast enough in a straight line. However he doesn't have #1 receiver skills (past speed) and I wouldn't waste a 1st or 2nd round pick on a #2 or #3 receiver candidate (then again I'm not a GM either so I'm as full of **** as anyone :D ) I seem to remember the heyward Bey draft year that the giants were very interested in Bey. Pretty sure they brought him in for interview and everything and if he was there he might be in blue today instead of nicks.

Kruunch
02-29-2012, 08:05 AM

Actually I saw him projected to go as high as the niners pick weeks before the combine so obv some people think he's not just a medicore reciever. At worst he's a medicore receiver with a rediculously high upside.

At worst, he's a mediocre receiver that someone reached for.

Kruunch
02-29-2012, 08:18 AM

Kid may turn out to be a good receiver. He's certainly fast enough in a straight line. However he doesn't have #1 receiver skills (past speed) and I wouldn't waste a 1st or 2nd round pick on a #2 or #3 receiver candidate (then again I'm not a GM either so I'm as full of **** as anyone :D ) I seem to remember the heyward Bey draft year that the giants were very interested in Bey. Pretty sure they brought him in for interview and everything and if he was there he might be in blue today instead of nicks.

Yep ... which continues a long line of crap that the NY Daily News have reported with "unnamed sources".

When was the last time the Giants traded up in the first? I can't remember them doing it in 35 years. The closest thing to them doing that is the trade for Eli and that was a straight trade and for a franchise QB they considered to be (at the time) potentially the best QB the Giants ever had.

The other time they messed with their first round draft pick was also for what they thought would be a franchise QB in using the supplemental pick to draft Dave Brown.

You really think they were going to do something similar for Heyward-Bey?

Seriously?

Redeyejedi
02-29-2012, 08:28 AM

Yep ... which continues a long line of crap that the NY Daily News have reported with "unnamed sources".

When was the last time the Giants traded up in the first? I can't remember them doing it in 35 years. The closest thing to them doing that is the trade for Eli and that was a straight trade and for a franchise QB they considered to be (at the time) potentially the best QB the Giants ever had.

The other time they messed with their first round draft pick was also for what they thought would be a franchise QB in using the supplemental pick to draft Dave Brown.

Seriously? Daily News cant really tell U the person in the War Room who is giving them info the guy would be fired.

Kruunch
02-29-2012, 08:29 AM

Seriously? Daily News cant really tell U the person in the War Room who is giving them info the guy would be fired.

My point is that more times then not the Daily News is full of **** and in this case, almost certainly is.

BluGiantPies
03-10-2012, 11:15 AM
Marc Ross met with Stephen hill at the Georgia tech pro day.

gmen0820
03-10-2012, 11:27 AM

Seriously?Considering they nearly traded up for Maclin that same year, I do.

gmen0820
03-10-2012, 11:30 AM
My point is that more times then not the Daily News is full of **** and in this case, almost certainly is.Pot calling the kettle black? You just admitted a few posts ago you're just as full of **** as anyone.

speedman
03-10-2012, 11:31 AM

The JPPs of the world are the exception not the rule. If Stephen Hill was a 4th rounder, I'd agree with you. Some momos are now projecting him as high as the 22nd pick overall. Lawl lawl lawl.Demaryius Thomas was successful and he came from there I believe is the line of thinking.Some of the same type of flaws as well. He was more productive though Ok ... but Stephen Hill is most often compared to Darius Heyward-Bey .... sooooooo .... Kid may turn out to be a good receiver. He's certainly fast enough in a straight line. However he doesn't have #1 receiver skills (past speed) and I wouldn't waste a 1st or 2nd round pick on a #2 or #3 receiver candidate (then again I'm not a GM either so I'm as full of **** as anyone :D ) I seem to remember the heyward Bey draft year that the giants were very interested in Bey. Pretty sure they brought him in for interview and everything and if he was there he might be in blue today instead of nicks. Yep ... which continues a long line of crap that the NY Daily News have reported with "unnamed sources". When was the last time the Giants traded up in the first? I can't remember them doing it in 35 years. The closest thing to them doing that is the trade for Eli and that was a straight trade and for a franchise QB they considered to be (at the time) potentially the best QB the Giants ever had. The other time they messed with their first round draft pick was also for what they thought would be a franchise QB in using the supplemental pick to draft Dave Brown. You really think they were going to do something similar for Heyward-Bey? Seriously?I thought they traded up to get Ross.

Neverend
03-10-2012, 12:42 PM
Gmen is spot on

The Giants loved Heyward-Bey. The same way they loved JPP, Nate Solder as well

The funny part is, fans were in great denial when all those reports surfaced (it was laughable reading these boards last year and how some were in denial that the giants could be interested in a prospect like solder and shot it off). I know I panicked when it was reported the giants were extremely high on JPP.

And since the raiders took bey, maclin took a drop. The Giants were absolutely going to trade up until philly beat them. Nicks wasnt a "sexy" pick, there was a little bit of a disappoint theme around that time. It didn't help matters that lots of giants fans loved britt

Redeyejedi
03-10-2012, 02:02 PM
Giants see to be interested in adding size at WR. I wouldnt be shocked if they took one in the First Round. They have met with Reuben Randle as well

BluGiantPies
03-10-2012, 05:19 PM
Giants see to be interested in adding size at WR. I wouldnt be shocked if they took one in the First Round. They have met with Reuben Randle as wellI'd actually be pretty happy withe either one or Jeffery. I wasn't to high on randle but he's starting to grow on me. Considering his terrible qb his production wasn't awful and he makes some really incredible catches.