PDA

View Full Version : Average WR Manningham

ibbill
02-26-2012, 05:07 PM
Okay I will say it he's just and average WR. #3 at best.

Who ever takes his place will play as well or better with Nicks Cruz and Eli throwing. Nyg will not miss a beat without him.There I said it and now lets here it.

G-Men Surg.
02-26-2012, 05:09 PM
He was a playmaker in Michigan and he ended being another one at the pro level. Period .

TheEnigma
02-26-2012, 05:11 PM
Of course he looks average here. We're spoiled with Nicks and Cruz.

ibbill
02-26-2012, 05:12 PM
Not saying he was not good but avg at best. Will see how well he does in TB and if I am wrong will come back and apologize on bended knee.Will say I was WRONG

jakegibbs
02-26-2012, 05:12 PM

Who ever takes his place will play as well or better with Nicks Cruz and Eli throwing. Nyg will not miss a beat without him.There I said it and now lets here it.

If Hixon can come back & be the player he was 3 years ago then they have a chance of not missing a beat I would think anyway. That's a big if though.

NY_Eli
02-26-2012, 05:16 PM
Year Team Games Rec Yards Y/R TDs
2009 Giants 14 57 822 14.7 5
2010 Giants 16 60 944 15.7 9
2011 Giants 12 39 523 13.4 4

These are not AVERAGE STATS

ibbill
02-26-2012, 05:53 PM

2009 he was 42 on the rec list

2010 41 st

2011 99th

What would you say is average.

miked1958
02-26-2012, 06:01 PM

I agree. I think Thomas, barden or JJ could step right in and give us the exact same or better production...

miked1958
02-26-2012, 06:02 PM

If Hixon can come back & be the player he was 3 years ago then they have a chance of not missing a beat I would think anyway. That's a big if though.
Sad to say this but with his injury issues I don't think he makes it out of camp this season without being Cut

gianttuffguy
02-26-2012, 06:11 PM
He was part of our big 3 now we gotta move on i say bring in a decent vet (ocho cinco) to push jj,barden plus draft one in the 2nd or 3rd round we will be fine but we nees wr depth bad god forbid nicks or cruz miss a few gms

Morehead State
02-26-2012, 06:30 PM
Not saying he was not good but avg at best. Will see how well he does in TB and if I am wrong will come back and apologize on bended knee.Will say I was WRONG</P>

He is most certainly NOT "average at best". Thats the ranting of a jilted lover.</P>

MM is a legit deep threat and could be a good #1 or a great #2 for a lot of teams.</P>

NYBlue10
02-26-2012, 06:35 PM
I find the mentality of taking a shot at a leaving Giant very immature, so I like to see the fans acting a little more maturely here.

Now having said that, Mario probably is not #1 caliber WR, but I know that he is CLUTCH in the big moment, and that is very hard to replace.

Voldamort
02-26-2012, 06:38 PM
Of course he looks average here. We're spoiled with Nicks and Cruz. just a ton of fast wideouts at this draft,Jerry will find a gem!

gmen0820
02-26-2012, 06:40 PM
He will be a 1,000+ yd guy somewhere else.

I have him for 1,200 and 8 TDs next year. This isn't the case of a number 2 becoming a number 1, and failing (a la Houshmanzadeh), this is the case of a guy buried on the depth chart, that is not really in an offense that suits him (a lot of deep route concepts, but to complicated for him IMO), and not really on the same page as his QB.

I wonder if Sullivan is gonna have all those sight adjustments that NY has. Even if he does, Mario has flashed here, with the added opportunities, he will further thrive.

DownWitJPP
02-26-2012, 06:41 PM
I like MM and was a huge fan of his when he was playing at Michigan.

That being said, he runs the wrong route too ofen...Eli's always looking at him like CMMon MAN!!

Seems like he makes the catch harder than it should be a lot of the time. He always bobbles easy catches

Blue daddy
02-26-2012, 06:46 PM
Remember this we would not of won the Super Bowl without him and that catch. I'll take that trade off any day. Say what you want he can make clutch plays.

Voldamort
02-26-2012, 06:54 PM
MM fit great in the Giants system,I wish him well! he gotta a ring!

UmenYiourAnIdiot
02-26-2012, 07:12 PM

True. He can make big plays but he can also foul up potentially big plays too.

I like a reliable Hixon if he can get back to 100%. IF.

Morehead State
02-26-2012, 09:40 PM
The notion that Manningham is some kind of doofus who runs wrong routes and doesn't know the offense is fantasy created by fans.</P>

Its absolute nonsense. The guy has made huge plays over the years and has worked well as a #2 and #3 WR.</P>

All he's done is produce. When Nicks and Smith went down in 2010 the guy not only produced like a #1 WR. (I believe he averaged over 100 yards per game during that time) but in some of those games, he was the ONLY Giant to show up. (GB game for example).</P>

This Manningham bashing just because he is a valuable player who (through no ones fault) doesn't have the opportunities here and is looking to play more is rediculous.</P>

Redeyejedi
02-26-2012, 09:44 PM
The notion that Manningham is some kind of doofus who runs wrong routes and doesn't know the offense is fantasy created by fans.</P>

Its absolute nonsense.** The guy has made huge plays over the years and has worked well as a #2 and #3 WR.</P>

All he's done is produce.* When Nicks and Smith went down in 2010 the guy not only produced like a #1 WR. (I believe he averaged over 100 yards per game during that time) but in some of those games, he was the ONLY Giant to show up. (GB game for example).</P>

This Manningham bashing just because he is a valuable player who (through no ones fault) doesn't have the opportunities here and is looking to play more is rediculous.</P>I would love for Mario to stay but u cant pay him more then Nicks and Cruz combined U just cant. Giants have cap issues no way around it

heavyhitter
02-26-2012, 09:56 PM
<font size="2">^This^ If Manningham decides to follow Sullivan to Tampa, I don't think he'll look average at all. </font>

bearbryant
02-26-2012, 11:09 PM
He's made some terrific plays here. He has done a nice job. He made one of the most important plays in SB XLVI. Is he better than Nicks? No! Is he better than Cruz? No! So that makes him a #3 W/O on our roster. His speed is super and is one of his best attributes, route running is not! However, think about his catch history, ready... If Eli doesn't put that ball dead in his hands and he needs to stretch to make it up to the ball or lay out to get it... Would you bet the farm on him getting that ball? Well, would you? I would not. He was a nice pick up for NY and added quite a bit to the Giants however, that ball he missed down the middle of the field is a typical example why I agree that he is an average NFL W/O.

Flip Empty
02-26-2012, 11:19 PM
He could be of use purely as a home run hitter - similar to how the Saints use Robert Meachem. 2 catches for 90 yds and a TD-type numbers. Going over the middle is not his forte.
Josh Freeman has a big arm, so should Mario land in Tampa, they could have some success together.

Gmenfan87
02-26-2012, 11:22 PM
Go get your money thanks for helping us win a superbowl. I'm sorry but avg. WRs don't make that catch much less in the superbowl with the game on the line.

Bavaro4Prez
02-26-2012, 11:23 PM
The notion that Manningham is some kind of doofus who runs wrong routes and doesn't know the offense is fantasy created by fans.</p>

Actually it's a fact and well documented. It's no secret he is cerebrally-challenged and has the lowest wonderlic scores of anyone currently playing in the NFL.</p>

Put bluntly.... he's not very bright. And he's shown that many a time on Sundays.</p>

He has big-play potential but can and often does, drop routine passes or isn't where he's supposed to be.
</p>

I like MM and would welcome him back with open arms... but as someone has already been kind enough to post here, his numbers are average at best and his production can be easily replaced.
</p>

</p>

</p>

JJC7301
02-27-2012, 01:03 AM

He's better than average and would be a # 2 on many other teams. He would have been a good # 2 for us, but Cruz changed everything.

Flip Empty
02-27-2012, 01:07 AM
If I remember correctly, going in to the draft, Manningham was seen as a first round talent, but his stock fell due to off-field issues.
He's better than average.

JJC7301
02-27-2012, 01:18 AM
If I remember correctly, going in to the draft, Manningham was seen as a first round talent, but his stock fell due to off-field issues.
He's better than average.
You're right -- his stock dropped because I think he got caught smoking or in possession of pot. I think more than once, but I could be wrong about that.

GmenFan1980
02-27-2012, 02:12 AM
Manningham could be a great #2 receiver and I wish him well wherever he goes.

That being said, The production he gave THIS year(at least up until the super bowl) could easily be replaced with an "average" #3 receiver.

dave56dj
02-27-2012, 03:28 AM
Mario certainly has the ability to be a #2 in this league - and has been. He has deep play ability and has all the talent to make plays. He does not read defenses well and will hang your qb out to dry on option reads - he accounted for many of Eli's pics in 2010 by simply reading the defenses wrong - but this is a player who is #2 on almost any other team. With Hakeem and Cruz we can't afford him but no need to bash him on the way out - this is a guy who caught 60 for 944 and can do something similar again - if you think he will be your one though you are mistaken .

Flip Empty
02-27-2012, 03:41 AM
The production he gave THIS year(at least up until the super bowl) could easily be replaced with an "average" #3 receiver.
That's exactly it - his role was as #3 and he produced like it.
I'd be a lot more worried if Cruz wasn't there and Manningham was still the #2. A #3 is a lot easier to replace.

B-Red22
02-27-2012, 03:47 AM
guarantee MM will be a 1000 receiver on another team, i know alot of use expected him leaving but that doesn't mean it will be easy, hope we can find someone to step up

rainierjef
02-27-2012, 03:55 AM
wow cause a player might leave you bash him? saying hes average am i wrong for calling some of you fake fan for bashing a giants player?

Diamondring
02-27-2012, 08:39 AM
One would have to look at how he played to see how average he is. Also, he can a average player be a starter anyways?

MikeIsaGiant
02-27-2012, 08:42 AM
yeah he's average.

So is Nicks and Cruz.

Red font

Morehead State
02-27-2012, 08:49 AM

Actually it's a fact and well documented. It's no secret he is cerebrally-challenged and has the lowest wonderlic scores of anyone currently playing in the NFL.</P>

Put bluntly.... he's not very bright. And he's shown that many a time on Sundays.</P>

He has big-play potential but can and often does, drop routine passes or isn't where he's supposed to be.
</P>

I like MM and would welcome him back with open arms... but as someone has already been kind enough to post here, his numbers are average at best and his production can be easily replaced.
</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

Well documented? How's that? What "documents" demonstrate that MM doesn't know the offense?</P>

Its a boring myth about the kid. Yes his wonderlic tests were very low. Do you know who else's test score was low coming out of college?....Dan Marino. Do you think Marino could figure out his offense?</P>

This entire point is silly. The reports come in about his wonderlic and now evertime he goes in and Eli throws out, its blamed on Manningham not knowing the offense.</P>

A little sophistication people. When he has had the chance to start and play a lot he has been huge for us over the years. I already mentioned his great performance in 2010 when the rets of the team was mailing it in.</P>

The kid is a legit player and should do very well as a featured WR somewhere. Good luck to him and thanks for being a good Giant.</P>

Diamondring
02-27-2012, 09:02 AM

Actually it's a fact and well documented. It's no secret he is cerebrally-challenged and has the lowest wonderlic scores of anyone currently playing in the NFL.**</P>

Put bluntly.... he's not very bright. And he's shown that many a time on Sundays.*</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

Well documented?** How's that?* What "documents" demonstrate that MM doesn't know the offense?</P>

Its a boring myth about the kid.* Yes his wonderlic tests were very low.* Do you know who else's test score was low coming out of college?....Dan Marino.* Do you think Marino could figure out his offense?</P>

This entire point is silly.* The reports come in about his wonderlic and now evertime he goes in and Eli throws out, its blamed on Manningham not knowing the offense.</P>

A little sophistication people.* When he has had the chance to start and play a lot he has been huge for us over the years.* I already mentioned his great performance in 2010 when the rets of the team was mailing it in.</P>

The kid is a legit player and should do very well as a featured WR somewhere.* Good luck to him and thanks for being a good Giant.</P>They are only assuming that he doesn't know the playbook and scheme etc. I also think that some of them forgot that Eli isn't perfect and some of those bad passes could have been his fault. I have seen Mario make some decisions that were right on the money and he was wide open but Eli threw at a spot I thought that the receivers should have never gone that route.

Morehead State
02-27-2012, 09:07 AM

Actually it's a fact and well documented. It's no secret he is cerebrally-challenged and has the lowest wonderlic scores of anyone currently playing in the NFL.</P>

Put bluntly.... he's not very bright. And he's shown that many a time on Sundays.</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

Well documented? How's that? What "documents" demonstrate that MM doesn't know the offense?</P>

Its a boring myth about the kid. Yes his wonderlic tests were very low. Do you know who else's test score was low coming out of college?....Dan Marino. Do you think Marino could figure out his offense?</P>

This entire point is silly. The reports come in about his wonderlic and now evertime he goes in and Eli throws out, its blamed on Manningham not knowing the offense.</P>

A little sophistication people. When he has had the chance to start and play a lot he has been huge for us over the years. I already mentioned his great performance in 2010 when the rets of the team was mailing it in.</P>

The kid is a legit player and should do very well as a featured WR somewhere. Good luck to him and thanks for being a good Giant.</P>

They are only assuming that he doesn't know the playbook and scheme etc. I also think that some of them forgot that Eli isn't perfect and some of those bad passes could have been his fault. I have seen Mario make some decisions that were right on the money and he was wide open but Eli threw at a spot I thought that the receivers should have never gone that route.</P>

Some posters are acting like scorned women. Drives me nuts.</P>

Flip Empty
02-27-2012, 09:13 AM
Look at his 2010 stats when he got to play #1

vs PHI - 8 grabs, 113 yds, 2 TDs

vs GB - 4 grabs, 132 yds, 1 TD

vs WAS - 4 grabs, 101 yds, 1 TD
This notion of Manningham being "average" and unable to play at #1 is absurd. When given the chance he's delivered. The fact he wasn't given the chance this year is a testament to the quality (and health) of NYG's starting 2.
Mario's performed well in every receiving role the Giants have placed him in.

Diamondring
02-27-2012, 09:17 AM

Actually it's a fact and well documented. It's no secret he is cerebrally-challenged and has the lowest wonderlic scores of anyone currently playing in the NFL.**</P>

Put bluntly.... he's not very bright. And he's shown that many a time on Sundays.*</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

Well documented?** How's that?* What "documents" demonstrate that MM doesn't know the offense?</P>

Its a boring myth about the kid.* Yes his wonderlic tests were very low.* Do you know who else's test score was low coming out of college?....Dan Marino.* Do you think Marino could figure out his offense?</P>

This entire point is silly.* The reports come in about his wonderlic and now evertime he goes in and Eli throws out, its blamed on Manningham not knowing the offense.</P>

A little sophistication people.* When he has had the chance to start and play a lot he has been huge for us over the years.* I already mentioned his great performance in 2010 when the rets of the team was mailing it in.</P>

The kid is a legit player and should do very well as a featured WR somewhere.* Good luck to him and thanks for being a good Giant.</P>

They are only assuming that he doesn't know the playbook and scheme etc. I also think that some of them forgot that Eli isn't perfect and some of those bad passes could have been his fault. I have seen Mario make some decisions that were right on the money and he was wide open but Eli threw at a spot I thought that the receivers should have never gone that route.</P>

Some posters are acting like scorned women.* Drives me nuts.</P>Yeah it is crazy in here.

Flip Empty
02-27-2012, 09:24 AM
Why are fans bitter mere weeks after watching their team win the Super Bowl?

Diamondring
02-27-2012, 09:30 AM
Why are fans bitter mere weeks after watching their team win the Super Bowl?I see a lot of them not here talking mess either like the Giants did nothing special.

TrueBlue@NYC
02-27-2012, 09:37 AM
Why are fans bitter mere weeks after watching their team win the Super Bowl?</P>

They don't like the thought of losing a good player, so to make themselves feel better they play down his ability so they can act like it's no big deal in losing him. </P>

The truth is that MM is a good player, and as long as he goes somewhere that giuves him a chance for success, he'll do well. It'll be a challenge to replace him but that's what good teams do in the salary cap age. They replace guys like MM with other talent. </P>

JesseJames
02-27-2012, 10:32 AM
I'm thinking that if the team wasn't strapped for cash for whatever the reason Mario would not be going anywhere and would be here for years and if thats true then blame it on the team having managed itself into cap hell, again...

netplus
02-27-2012, 02:26 PM
MM scored three TD's in the playoffs plus that incredible catch in the super bowl. Anyone who thinks that is average has a lower Wonderlic score than MM.

Morehead State
02-27-2012, 02:35 PM
MM scored three TD's in the playoffs plus that incredible catch in the super bowl. Anyone who thinks that is average has a lower Wonderlic score than MM.</P>

Man I wish I had used that line.</P>

Well done.</P>

PRFan
02-27-2012, 02:40 PM

2010 41 st

2011 99th

Do you even know what avg means?

42nd, 41st is better than avg for a #2 receiver.
He would've been better this year but he missed some game, he was BIG in the playoffs!

ibbill
02-27-2012, 02:49 PM

2010 41 st

2011 99th

He would've been better this year but he missed some game, he was BIG in the playoffs!

No I dont know what avg is thats why I asked. I do know that he also said that the NYG could not win another super bowl. Also that he wanted to play where its warm.

NYtoSanDiego
02-27-2012, 02:53 PM
He was part of our big 3 now we gotta move on i say bring in a decent vet (ocho cinco) to push jj,barden plus draft one in the 2nd or 3rd round we will be fine but we nees wr depth bad god forbid nicks or cruz miss a few gms

the reason chad had the worst year of his career was he couldn't grasp patriots site adjustment offense which is similar to the giants. if he couldn't make it work there why would you think he could make it work here?

LT_was_good
02-27-2012, 03:08 PM
MM scored three TD's in the playoffs plus that incredible catch in the super bowl. Anyone who thinks that is average has a lower Wonderlic score than MM.

His TD catch against SF was the biggest catch of his career (for two weeks) and one of the biggest plays of the entire Post-Season.

TheEnigma
02-27-2012, 03:11 PM
No I dont know what avg is thats why I asked. I do know that he also said that the NYG could not win another super bowl. Also that he wanted to play where its warm.He said he thinks that the Giants won't REPEAT, not win another. Big difference there.

nygsb42champs
02-27-2012, 03:18 PM
They will miss him. Yes he is replaceable but do not just dismiss how well he worked with Eli.

Down-lifer
02-27-2012, 03:34 PM

These are not AVERAGE STATSYes they are.... He won't be even be close to that without Eli.

ibbill
02-27-2012, 03:34 PM
No I dont know what avg is thats why I asked. I do know that he also said that the NYG could not win another super bowl. Also that he wanted to play where its warm.He said he thinks that the Giants won't REPEAT, not win another. Big difference there.

I sit corrected tks.

ibbill
02-27-2012, 03:35 PM

2010 41 st

2011 99th

So the Question is what is he worth on the FA market how much would you pay him.

Morehead State
02-27-2012, 03:41 PM
Year Team Games Rec Yards Y/R TDs 2009 Giants 14 57 822 14.7 5 2010 Giants 16 60 944 15.7 9 2011 Giants 12 39 523 13.4 4 These are not AVERAGE STATS 2009 he was 42 on the rec list 2010 41 st 2011 99th What would you say is average. Do you even know what avg means? 42nd, 41st is better than avg for a #2 receiver. He would've been better this year but he missed some game, he was BIG in the playoffs! So the Question is what is he worth on the FA market how much would you pay him.</P>

Your original post was pure nonsense.</P>

The guy is a very good player.</P>

As a 3rd WR in 2010 he had nearly 1000 yards and 9 TD's. And when the other WR's were hurt he played lights out the final 4 weeks of 2010.</P>

This season he was hurt a lot and didn't get on the field as much because of the emergence of Cruz.</P>

Manningham is a solid 1200 yard, 8-10 TD guy as a #1 or #2 WR.</P>

Right now the Giants can't offer him anything other than a #3 position because we have one of the top 1-2 combo's in the NFL. </P>

You're just a jilted lover, ....lashing out. Its actually sad but we love all our fellow Giants fans.</P>

</P>

burier
02-27-2012, 03:55 PM
So let me get this straight.

Goff is a good player,

T2 is a good player

but Manningham (Whos healthy btw) is average???? o_0

And then...and then...and then Manningham
's stats are posted as proof of how average he is!!!

I'd say we need to turn on the film. The guy is playmaker/gamebreaker type who can take the ball 99 yards,

He is known for his ability to run after the catch. Is very difficult to bring down in the open field. Litterally has one knock and that being he has an occasional mental lapse.

He's not average...he's the third best recievers on the roster of the Superbowl champs.

We shouldn't cry if he moves on but lets not down play the guys game. He's a beast