PDA

View Full Version : How long before Steve Smith is a Giant again?

Eli TO Shockey
02-26-2012, 08:34 PM
It wont happen right away...probly 2 weeks into Free Agency. Mid to late march??

http://rantsports.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/new-york-giants/files/2011/06/Steve-smith.jpg (http://rantsports.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/new-york-giants/files/2011/06/Steve-smith.jpg)

myles2424
02-26-2012, 08:37 PM
It wont happen right away...probly 2 weeks into Free Agency. Mid to late march??

http://rantsports.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/new-york-giants/files/2011/06/Steve-smith.jpg (http://rantsports.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/new-york-giants/files/2011/06/Steve-smith.jpg)
no time for looking back.....
Bringing Steve smith back is like making up with a Ex GF that slept around with your enemies......

RoanokeFan
02-26-2012, 08:38 PM
We need Steve Smith like a fish needs a bicycle.

Eli TO Shockey
02-26-2012, 08:38 PM
ehh.. no harm no foul. they payed him 4 mil during his recovery season. If anything, we should send the eagles a thank you note.

FBomb
02-26-2012, 08:39 PM
When they're buying snowblowers in Hades.</P>

Eli TO Shockey
02-26-2012, 08:40 PM

you dont think we can use smith in the slot? i beg to differ. SS will be cheap..especially considering our salary cap situation.

its a matter of when..not if.

Bring back #12!!!!

Eli TO Shockey
02-26-2012, 08:40 PM
When they're buying snowblowers in Hades.</p>

you shall see...#12 will be a Giant again...soon!

RoanokeFan
02-26-2012, 08:44 PM

you dont think we can use smith in the slot? i beg to differ. SS will be cheap..especially considering our salary cap situation.

Bring back #12!!!!

Smith is now twice injured and called John Mara a liar. We don't have a void at WR but we do at tight end. Steve Smith is damaged goods with a burning bridge in his past.

Giants10Joe
02-26-2012, 08:49 PM
It will happen in 2, maybe 3 weeks. And by "2, maybe 3 weeks," I mean never.

nhpgiantsfan
02-26-2012, 08:51 PM
Hopefully never. He did this team dirty! No way JR talks to him. I don't know why so many people assume he is coming back. It ain't gonna happen.

jjj45
He seems to be working fine with Cam Newton.

Eli TO Shockey

Bring back #12!!!!

Smith is now twice injured and called John Mara a liar.* We don't have a void at WR but we do at tight end.* Steve Smith is damaged goods with a burning bridge in his past.

Both are adults. Both will sit down and settle their differences.

nhpgiantsfan
02-26-2012, 08:52 PM

LMAO! Yes.

greenca190
02-26-2012, 08:53 PM
We don't need another slot receiver.

Eli TO Shockey
02-26-2012, 08:54 PM

So who is our proven slot guy? Cruz and nicks will be on the outside.

myles2424
02-26-2012, 08:56 PM
The fact that anyone wants smith back disturbs me....do you people feel sorry for him? F'em...
What because his expirment with our enemy didn't work out so it's ok for him to come crawling back with his tail between his legs?
We move forward, no time to look back......
I hope he has nightmares all year about the season he had with images of Cruz doing the sala with a shiny superbowl ring on....

Toadofsteel
02-26-2012, 08:59 PM

Jernigan will be outside with Nicks. I think he's set to have a breakout year. Yeah he didn't post great numbers this year but that was because he was behind Nicks/Cruz/MM. It took JPP 2 years to become the superstar he is now, it took Cruz 2 years, it took even more than that for Eli. I think if we give JJ a chance, he will really be able to shine, especially if we beef up our offensive line and give Eli time to throw in the pocket.

gmen0820
02-26-2012, 09:03 PM
Hopefully sooner rather than later. Smith is a beast in the slot and we can shift Cruz to the outside where he will be equally as effective, if not more effective.

tripleaamin9
02-26-2012, 09:10 PM
I expect us to be able to sign him for a minimum. But obviously not guaranteed a roster spot.

nhpgiantsfan
02-26-2012, 09:10 PM

Ummm, I believe Cruz set a Giants record for receiving yards as our slot receiver, so I am gonna guess he will be our slot guy next year.

NYG 5
02-26-2012, 09:17 PM

i just watched this game lol. Thank you patrick crayton

Eli TO Shockey
02-26-2012, 09:19 PM

Ummm, I believe Cruz set a Giants record for receiving yards as our slot receiver, so I am gonna guess he will be our slot guy next year.

No...Cruz is more of a natural outside WR. He played slot because mannigham wasn't very good at it. Cruz will not be out slot guy next season. Thanks for playing!

Eli TO Shockey
02-26-2012, 09:21 PM
I expect us to be able to sign him for a minimum. But obviously not guaranteed a roster spot.*

That's all he's really gonna get anywhere . Considering the rappor he has with Eli, this would be his best situation . He has also said he'd like to come back to the giants . It's only a matter of time.

KidA
02-26-2012, 09:21 PM
Steve Smith's skill set complements our other wide receivers perfectly.

However, there is a lot of baggage tied to SS at this point so who knows if we'll give it a shot. He is trying to come back from a major injury and he didn't exactly leave on the best terms. Time will tell.

Eli TO Shockey
02-26-2012, 09:25 PM
Hopefully sooner rather than later. Smith is a beast in the slot and we can shift Cruz to the outside where he will be equally as effective, if not more effective.

+10000

TuggSpeedman
02-26-2012, 09:26 PM
Will never happen...get real. We still have Ramses Barden and Jerrell Jernigan, a player we drafted to be our slot guy in the 3rd round of last years draft. I really don't get the reasoning behind all of these "bring back Steve Smith/Plaxico" threads. TE will be addressed through free agency - DEFINITILEY not WR.

Eli TO Shockey
02-26-2012, 09:26 PM

Jernigan will be outside with Nicks. I think he's set to have a breakout year. Yeah he didn't post great numbers this year but that was because he was behind Nicks/Cruz/MM. It took JPP 2 years to become the superstar he is now, it took Cruz 2 years, it took even more than that for Eli. I think if we give JJ a chance, he will really be able to shine, especially if we beef up our offensive line and give Eli time to throw in the pocket.

i hope JJ works out. But theres no way he plays the outside. Nicks and Cruz will be our outside WR's.

buddy33
02-26-2012, 09:27 PM
As soon as they resign Shockey, Burress, and Barber.

Eli TO Shockey
02-26-2012, 09:28 PM
Will never happen...get real. We still have Ramses Barden and Jerrell Jernigan, a player we drafted to be our slot guy in the 3rd round of last years draft. I really don't get the reasoning behind all of these "bring back Steve Smith/Plaxico" threads. TE will be addressed through free agency - DEFINITILEY not WR.

ramses barden couldnt even make the active roster during our playoff run. Him being unhealthy was no longer an excuse. He gets ZERO seperation from defenders. he sucks. true bust.

we have 2 solid WR's. the rest are question marks. Mr 3rd down would be a perfect fit.

GMENAGAIN
02-26-2012, 09:29 PM
How do you even know that he can still play after that knee injury??? Certainly didn't show anything last year that would lead to that conclusion . . . . .

logan9839
02-26-2012, 09:29 PM

No...Cruz is more of a natural outside WR. He played slot because mannigham wasn't very good at it. Cruz will not be out slot guy next season. Thanks for playing!

What are you basing this on?

Blue daddy
02-26-2012, 09:30 PM
Hopefully never.

Eli TO Shockey
02-26-2012, 09:30 PM
How do you even know that he can still play after that knee injury??? Certainly didn't show anything last year that would lead to that conclusion . . . . .

we dont. but hes worth the risk. he wont be getting paid much more than the minimum.

gmen0820
02-26-2012, 09:35 PM
How do you even know that he can still play after that knee injury???* Certainly didn't show anything last year that would lead to that conclusion . . . . .Name me 5 players who have had good years after microfracture surgery.

Microfracture surgery will make your first year back a wash, especially when it happens in mid December, but it isn't an irrecoverable injury.

nhpgiantsfan
02-26-2012, 09:36 PM

Wrong! Just like your wrong about SS coming back here. Cruz is only 6 feet tall. He is much better suited inside. The fact that you think they are going to move a guy who just had a 1500 yard season is disturbing.

gmen0820
02-26-2012, 09:38 PM
What are you basing this on?It's based on his skillet. You move Cruz outside where he can't be as easily bracketed, and can display his speed as a deep threat and incredible ball skills, and good things follow. I've said a lot that I think Cruz projects better as an X or Z receiver, more so a Z receiver.

If you go back and rewatch the SB, he faced bracket coverage and double team concepts just about every pass play.

Smith in the slot getting those bracket coverages like he was getting when here either leaves Nicks or Cruz with one guy, or a favorable TE matchup.

Eli TO Shockey
02-26-2012, 09:40 PM

Wrong! Just like your wrong about SS coming back here. Cruz is only 6 feet tall. He is much better suited inside. The fact that you think they are going to move a guy who just had a 1500 yard season is disturbing.

lol @ hes only 6 foot. he cant play the outside. dude...are you really trying to argue with me with that as your logic?

gmen0820
02-26-2012, 09:42 PM
Wrong! Just like your wrong about SS coming back here. Cruz is only 6 feet tall. He is much better suited inside. The fact that you think they are going to move a guy who just had a 1500 yard season is disturbing.Manningham is 6 ft as well. The fact that he's 6 foot doesn't mean that he can't play outside.

The ball skills, speed, and route running he possesses is extremely valuable as a Z receiver opposite of Nicks. Think Marvin Harrison.

nhpgiantsfan
02-26-2012, 09:42 PM
1500 yards in the slot. They are NOT moving him outside. It makes no sense. Cruz is the inside guy and they need a big tall WR to play outside. There is no place on this team for Steve Smith. He is not the type of receiver we need.

dave56dj
02-26-2012, 09:43 PM
Wow lets all take a step back.

1) The Giants will almost certainly lose MM to FA as they cant and should not pay him like a 1 or a 2 - especially with cruz and hakeem needing extensions in the near future.

2) That leaves a spot open for the third spot - cruz will play on the outside and be moved to the slot on occasion when trying to get him onto a nickel and off of doubles but will primarily be on the outside.

3) Jernigan and Ramses will be next up to get a shot at that spot. Jernigan was ahead of Ramses on the depth chart late in the season when both were healthy. His best return was probably in the SB when he took a kick 35 yards and almost broke free - he also had one catch in the SF game but saw a small amount of snaps in the playoffs - more so then Barden which just give you an idea of what the giants think. But without MM both will see much time in a great competition this upcoming camp.

4) Schefter reported many time the giants are fine with SS and would reconsider a return. The giants always do their due dillegence and
if they feel smith is healthy and willing to come back for the right price they could make that move as when he is healthy is still a beast in the slot.

5) As much as many of you care that he so called turned into Benedict Arnold by going to the eagles the Giants COULDN'T CARE LESS. They are aware its a business that smith took more money (who wouldn't) and the eagles were wrong about his health as was smith. But this year if he is healthier things may change and just b/c he was on the eagles for a year means nothing to the giants if he come and helps out this year.

Eli TO Shockey
02-26-2012, 09:46 PM
1500 yards in the slot. They are NOT moving him outside. It makes no sense. Cruz is the inside guy and they need a big tall WR to play outside. There is no place on this team for Steve Smith. He is not the type of receiver we need.

you do realize he wasnt always in the slot right? he lined up on the outside ALOT!. "1500 yards in the slot" is misleading..since he wasnt just a slot wr

logan9839
02-26-2012, 09:46 PM
What are you basing this on?It's based on his skillet. You move Cruz outside where he can't be as easily bracketed, and can display his speed as a deep threat and incredible ball skills, and good things follow. I've said a lot that I think Cruz projects better as an X or Z receiver, more so a Z receiver.

If you go back and rewatch the SB, he faced bracket coverage and double team concepts just about every pass play.

Smith in the slot getting those bracket coverages like he was getting when here either leaves Nicks or Cruz with one guy, or a favorable TE matchup.

Thanks, two thoughts on that. 1) My view is that Cruz was bracketed because he was such a weapon, and teams wanted to force MM to beat them. 2) Cruz did so well in the slot, I hate to fix what is not broken.

Eli TO Shockey
02-26-2012, 09:47 PM
Wow lets all take a step back.

1) The Giants will almost certainly lose MM to FA as they cant and should not pay him like a 1 or a 2 - especially with cruz and hakeem needing extensions in the near future.

2) That leaves a spot open for the third spot - cruz will play on the outside and be moved to the slot on occasion when trying to get him onto a nickel and off of doubles but will primarily be on the outside.

3) Jernigan and Ramses will be next up to get a shot at that spot. Jernigan was ahead of Ramses on the depth chart late in the season when both were healthy. His best return was probably in the SB when he took a kick 35 yards and almost broke free - he also had one catch in the SF game but saw a small amount of snaps in the playoffs - more so then Barden which just give you an idea of what the giants think. But without MM both will see much time in a great competition this upcoming camp.

4) Schefter reported many time the giants are fine with SS and would reconsider a return. The giants always do their due dillegence and
if they feel smith is healthy and willing to come back for the right price they could make that move as when he is healthy is still a beast in the slot.

5) As much as many of you care that he so called turned into Benedict Arnold by going to the eagles the Giants COULDN'T CARE LESS. They are aware its a business that smith took more money (who wouldn't) and the eagles were wrong about his health as was smith. But this year if he is healthier things may change and just b/c he was on the eagles for a year means nothing to the giants if he come and helps out this year.

excellent post my friend.

gmen0820
02-26-2012, 09:47 PM
they need a big tall WR to play outside.Says who? We just won a SB with Nicks, Cruz Manningham.

Was Manningham that "big tall WR" on the outside.

Eli TO Shockey
02-26-2012, 09:50 PM

Thanks, two thoughts on that. 1) My view is that Cruz was bracketed because he was such a weapon, and teams wanted to force MM to beat them. 2) Cruz did so well in the slot, I hate to fix what is not broken.

cruz lined up on the outside a lot. I recall reading a few articles during the season of our coaching staff even stating hes more of a natural outside WR. He's a baller. he will put up numbers wherever we put. He is more comfortable on the outside. which is why SS12 would be such a great addition.

nhpgiantsfan
02-26-2012, 09:52 PM

you do realize he wasnt always in the slot right? he lined up on the outside ALOT!. "1500 yards in the slot" is misleading..since he wasnt just a slot wr

Yeah he was on the outside when we were in 2 receiver sets. But when we had a slot WR, it was him. Bottom line it would would be foolish to bring someone in to play that spot when we have the best person for the spot already on the team. You can hang on to that 12 jersey all you want, but he ain't coming back.

gmen0820
02-26-2012, 09:52 PM

Thanks, two thoughts on that. 1) My view is that Cruz was bracketed because he was such a weapon, and teams wanted to force MM to beat them. 2) Cruz did so well in the slot, I hate to fix what is not broken.Cruz was definitely a force in the slot, but consider what happens if Smith is on the team, 2nd year off microfracture surgery and 100%, in a system he is comfortable with and playing with a QB he is definitely comfortable in attracting those same bracket coverages making Cruz have to beat them. Or Cruz getting those double teams along with Nicks (both on the outside) forcing Smith to be crafty in the middle like we know he is.

Eli TO Shockey
02-26-2012, 09:53 PM

Yeah he was on the outside when we were in 2 receiver sets. But when we had a slot WR, it was him. Bottom line it would would be foolish to bring someone in to play that spot when we have the best person for the spot already on the team. You can hang on to that 12 jersey all you want, but he ain't coming back.

lol...with or without SS next season...cruz will be on the outside for the majority of plays.

logan9839
02-26-2012, 09:57 PM
Heck, let's say this, we should be very happy to have both Cruz and Nicks on the team. Anything else is gravy!

gmen0820
02-26-2012, 09:58 PM
Heck, let's say this, we should be very happy to have both Cruz and Nicks on the team. Anything else is gravy!+1

greenca190
02-26-2012, 10:05 PM
I expect us to be able to sign him for a minimum. But obviously not guaranteed a roster spot.*

That's all he's really gonna get anywhere . Considering the rappor he has with Eli, this would be his best situation . He has also said he'd like to come back to the giants . It's only a matter of time.

I have to disagree with you. Cruz has a nose to find empty spots in zone coverage on third downs.

I agree, he is much more than just a slot receiver. But he is capable of moving the chains on every third down, much like Steve Smith when he was here. Why try and fix something that isn't broken? Move him to the inside on 3 and 4 WR looks, and keep him on the outside for 2 WR sets. Much like that other Steve Smith down in Carolina.

Put your best players in the best opportunity to succeed.

greenca190
02-26-2012, 10:06 PM

lol...with or without SS next season...cruz will be on the outside for the majority of plays.

Yeah, we will be on the outside for the majority of two wide receiver sets. If anything, we will need another guy that can stretch the field. I would love a speedster that is able to burn CB's prior to the catch. That is not Steve Smith.

RoanokeFan
02-26-2012, 10:11 PM

Cruz plays both equally well. Jernigan and Thomas are already here and Reese expects Jernigan to step up.

greenca190
02-26-2012, 10:26 PM

Yeah, we will be on the outside for the majority of two wide receiver sets. If anything, we will need another guy that can stretch the field. I would love a speedster that is able to burn CB's prior to the catch. That is not Steve Smith.

Or, if we find a viable TE target in free agency or the draft, Cruz could possibly be restricted to the outside.

However, we all know how complicated this offense can be. We have all seen wide receivers not be able to grasp concepts in their first few years, only to develop later on. Cruz already has it down. I can see whoever stepping up in whichever role to already be on the team right now.

RoanokeFan
02-26-2012, 10:28 PM

Or, if we find a viable TE target in free agency or the draft, Cruz could possibly be restricted to the outside.

However, we all know how complicated this offense can be. We have all seen wide receivers not be able to grasp concepts in their first few years, only to develop later on. Cruz already has it down. I can see whoever stepping up in whichever role to already be on the team right now.

Why would you want to limit his talents?

Dirt66
02-26-2012, 10:31 PM
NOT!!

miked1958
02-26-2012, 10:33 PM

I hope never.

radar-ray
02-26-2012, 11:03 PM
I hope never!

greenca190
02-26-2012, 11:05 PM

Why would you want to limit his talents?

Haha, I never said I wanted to limit his talents. In fact, I'm pretty sure I was making the point against you that we shouldn't be? And that you were attempting to say we need Steve Smith to play slot because Cruz won't be?

If that's not what you were saying then I should seriously reconsider taking this GRE tomorrow.

foosball
02-26-2012, 11:12 PM
I honestly think there is a good chance he'll be back on a one year contract.

cornerback30
02-26-2012, 11:24 PM
Don't get me wrong,because I do like Steve,but I don't want to see back at all.He didn't want the deal we gave him so he lefted for greener pasture.It didn't work out for him but it worked out very well for us though.If he wouldn't not have lefted Cruz wouldn't have become to wideout he has become.Now that Mario is on his way out the door,it's time for Jernigan and barden to step up and show what they are about.With the money issues we have bringing back Smith should be the least of our concerns.Cruz has made Smith a distant memory and it's time to move on from S.S. and let our depth at WR step in and contribute to the club.

giantsfan420
02-27-2012, 12:08 AM
Dave56dj said it best. The giants and steve smith both probsbly regret what happened last offseason. For some thinking we absolutely would not sign him bc of him signing with philly, did u guys forget reese offered plax a contract this past off season? What plax did was far more aggregeous to the giants team than what smith did.

Plus, steve smith at the least wishes things played out differently. RF can u ppst a link where smith says "mara is a liar" bc all he said was he never heard about the contract offer some one in the org. Claimed was made, far from personally attacking mara at all.

The giants will do whatever helps the team. If signing smith hurts the team, it wont happen. But if he can, which I suspect he could add another dimension to our offense, I think we do get him people forget when nicks and smith were our starting wrs, TEAMS WERE DOUBLING SMITH. Eli2smith was deadly, esp on 3rd downs. Every one of our wrs could line up at any of the spots, I honestly think a healthy smith, cruz, and nicks is better than mm,nicks,cruz...

Plus smith is going to be dirt cheap to try and reestablish his worth, sign him for 2yrs dirt cheap, let jj learn and play behind them. Than draft a te and ol early rounds, we re absolutely set on offense, no additions needed. Signing smith like actually helps our o be complete while cementing our offensive players fees...I can't think of how smith wont be a giant, unless this same scenario plays out only we resign plax and not smith

Gimaniac
02-27-2012, 12:14 AM
http://alliedow.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/burning-bridge.jpg

RoanokeFan
02-27-2012, 12:16 AM
Dave56dj said it best. The giants and steve smith both probsbly regret what happened last offseason. For some thinking we absolutely would not sign him bc of him signing with philly, did u guys forget reese offered plax a contract this past off season? What plax did was far more aggregeous to the giants team than what smith did.

Plus, steve smith at the least wishes things played out differently.<font color="#0000FF"> RF can u ppst a link where smith says "mara is a liar" bc all he said was he never heard about the contract offer some one in the org. Claimed was made, far from personally attacking mara at all.</font>

The giants will do whatever helps the team. If signing smith hurts the team, it wont happen. But if he can, which I suspect he could add another dimension to our offense, I think we do get him people forget when nicks and smith were our starting wrs, TEAMS WERE DOUBLING SMITH. Eli2smith was deadly, esp on 3rd downs. Every one of our wrs could line up at any of the spots, I honestly think a healthy smith, cruz, and nicks is better than mm,nicks,cruz...

Plus smith is going to be dirt cheap to try and reestablish his worth, sign him for 2yrs dirt cheap, let jj learn and play behind them. Than draft a te and ol early rounds, we re absolutely set on offense, no additions needed. Signing smith like actually helps our o be complete while cementing our offensive players fees...I can't think of how smith wont be a giant, unless this same scenario plays out only we resign plax and not smith

There were any number of links when it occurred. If you need to have one, search away. John Mara said Smith was offered a deal, before he was injured, that would have made him one of the highest paid wide receivers in the league. Smith said that never happened.

We all take sides and, for me, Smith's ship has sailed. We are not desperate for a wide receiver although Smith may be desperate for a team.

You speak of the pre-injury Smith. He's not performed up to those heights since his injuries. No one know what he's capable of doing in the present as he ended his season on IR yet again.

How does anyone know what his asking price might be?

One of the best things he did for the GIANTS was to leave, speeding the rise of Victor Cruz.

giantsfan420
02-27-2012, 12:41 AM

Plus, steve smith at the least wishes things played out differently.<font color="#0000FF"> RF can u ppst a link where smith says "mara is a liar" bc all he said was he never heard about the contract offer some one in the org. Claimed was made, far from personally attacking mara at all.</font>

There were any number of links when it occurred.* If you need to have one, search away.* John Mara said Smith was offered a deal, before he was injured, that would have made him one of the highest paid wide receivers in the league.* Smith said that never happened.

We all take sides and, for me, Smith's ship has sailed.* We are not desperate for a wide receiver although Smith may be desperate for a team.

You speak of the pre-injury Smith.* He's not performed up to those heights since his injuries.* No one know what he's capable of doing in the present as he ended his season on IR yet again.

One of the best things he did for the GIANTS was to leave, speeding the rise of Victor Cruz.

I was trying to point out smith never actually called mara a liar or publically said mara your a liar. He said he never heard about any contract extension. Again, way diff. Than calling mara a liar.

The giants and smith regret how things played out, guaranteed at least on smiths side. Eli and smith were dominant. If smiths healthy, of course you sign him. If he's not of course u don't. If the giants staff gave smith clearance and complete clean bill of health, and smith was right at the level pre injury, do u honestly believe tne giants would just pass up on trying to sign him?

He'd be lethal with nicks and cruz, like he'd have the absolute best chance at succeeding here, and our wr corp would be virtually unstoppable. His health is a big issue, but if he is, all smith and mara would have to do is be amlicable and just both state how they regretted what happened and smith has a good game all would be forgotten imo. Upside is huge and he will be legit dirt cheap which is a huge plus for us. Think bout that, we could have a healthy smith for pennies on the dollar when we have to be conservative with funds. If u asked me at the end of last yr, we could plan things to play out this way, it couldn't get any better...smith also had to watch us win a sb...that's on his head too

gmen0820
02-27-2012, 12:43 AM
He's not performed up to those heights since his injuries.* No one know what he's capable of doing in the present as he ended his season on IR yet again.This is the most substance-less thing to say and I don't get why anyone even bothers saying this.

Smith had a bad 2011, the same year he comes off of microfracture surgery. I called it, and it's not like I was a fortune teller to say it, I just realize that NOBODY comes back 100% after microfracture surgery. I've seen first hand as a Giants fan, the devastation of microfracture surgery they year back.

Cofield, Robbins, KP alone over the past 3 years have shown that your first year back, you are not 100%. Their 2nd years back, they had incredible years, even Robbins who was over 30 and got cut. Cofield got paid, and KP played excellent this year.

Smith going on IR last year is really not that much to be concerned about. He had a bone bruise in December, a 2-3 week injury. The fact that Philly put Smith on IR was not that surprising considering they could save a roster spot, they already reportedly tried to trade Smith signaling the relationship between the player and the franchise was strained, and Smith was already showing that first year back rust and wasn't really contributing. It'd be like me being concerned that Cruz was IRed his first year, even though it was a stash tactic in the first place.

And I fail to see where bridges were burned with the organization. Maybe the fans.

greenca190
02-27-2012, 12:46 AM

There were any number of links when it occurred.* If you need to have one, search away.* John Mara said Smith was offered a deal, before he was injured, that would have made him one of the highest paid wide receivers in the league.* Smith said that never happened.

We all take sides and, for me, Smith's ship has sailed.* We are not desperate for a wide receiver although Smith may be desperate for a team.

You speak of the pre-injury Smith.* He's not performed up to those heights since his injuries.* No one know what he's capable of doing in the present as he ended his season on IR yet again.

So many variables in what you said there.

First off, Steve Smith didn't deserve to be paid as one of the highest grossing wide outs in the league. If the Giants front office claimed that, then yeah, they are liars. Did Steve Smith say they were lying about how high he was going to be paid? Or that there was a contract being negotiated at all?

Last I heard, the Giants offered him five years, 35 million. Then he blew out his knee.

Rich4114
02-27-2012, 12:51 AM
He'll probably go to the Bucs. The Bucs will be the new Giants cast-off destination like the Rams were a few years back.

NWKEffectElement
02-27-2012, 12:55 AM
When LT returns to the Giants.

RagTime Blue
02-27-2012, 01:07 AM
We need Steve Smith <font size="6">like a fish needs a bicycle</font>.

Just want to be the first to give props for the U2 reference.

My opinion is that people think the Giants have a way of finding great receivers and tight ends. Nobody ever thinks that Eli is making good players GREAT.

He'll make somebody new a great receiver. . .for a lot less money.

JJC7301
02-27-2012, 01:08 AM
I've got no problem with SS coming back, at the right price. I'd be pretty happy about it. Hopefully, he still has game after a full of recovery.

Eli TO Shockey
02-27-2012, 02:01 AM

Just want to be the first to give props for the U2 reference.

My opinion is that people think the Giants have a way of finding great receivers and tight ends. Nobody ever thinks that Eli is making good players GREAT.

how much do you think Steve Smith is worth on the open market? not much

ShakeNBake
02-27-2012, 02:07 AM
We do not need a slot receiver FFS, let alone one who is broken.

JJC7301
02-27-2012, 02:17 AM

Just want to be the first to give props for the U2 reference.*

My opinion is that people think the Giants have a way of finding great receivers and tight ends.* Nobody ever thinks that Eli is making good players GREAT.

how much do you think Steve Smith is worth on the open market? not much

Can't be much at all. I'd sign him for the right price, but he'd also have to understand that he's not guaranteed the # 3 spot either. He'll have to compete with JJ and Barden (probably not too much to worry about there) and whoever they draft this year.

Even if he wasn't the # 3, I wouldn't mind having his savvy and smarts in our stable.

And I'd bring Plax back too, for the right price.

Firenugget
02-27-2012, 06:58 AM
We do not need a slot receiver FFS, let alone one who is broken.

Cruz can play outside just fine.

I'm torn on this one....I'd like to get him back but he seriously rubbed me the wrong way. My first reaction is....nah.

GMENAGAIN
02-27-2012, 09:13 AM
How do you even know that he can still play after that knee injury??? Certainly didn't show anything last year that would lead to that conclusion . . . . .Name me 5 players who have had good years after microfracture surgery. Microfracture surgery will make your first year back a wash, especially when it happens in mid December, but it isn't an irrecoverable injury.</P>

Name me 5 Wr's that have returned to 100% pre-injury performance after microfracture surgery . . .. </P>

None of us know his physical status. All we know is that he wasn't healthy last year.</P>

hungrrrry
02-27-2012, 09:28 AM

Bring back #12!!!!
I think there is a good chance the Giants FO are considering this. He will command alot less than Mario will sign for, we can possibly lock him up long term. I trusted his ability a lot more than Mario as well!</P>

It is nothing like a girlfriend situation...this is a business...teams bring back former players all the time with good results following.</P>

Besides, I still have my Steve Smith and Eli Manning travel mug, so it is perfectly sensible!</P>

Diamondring
02-27-2012, 09:35 AM
I would be suprised if they took a look at him.

jerseymadden
02-27-2012, 09:40 AM
Signing Smith back makes a lot of sense for the Giants right now given he's healthy enough.

NJ10
02-27-2012, 11:56 AM
If he is healthy absolutely bring him back. He and Eli were on the same page when he was here and he is good possession receiver. He was our #1 when he was here, and now we can have him at the #3 behind Nicks and Cruz? Yes please.

RoanokeFan
02-27-2012, 12:10 PM
He's not performed up to those heights since his injuries. No one know what he's capable of doing in the present as he ended his season on IR yet again.<font color="#0000FF">This is the most substance-less thing to say and I don't get why anyone even bothers saying this.</font>

Smith had a bad 2011, the same year he comes off of microfracture surgery. I called it, and it's not like I was a fortune teller to say it, I just realize that NOBODY comes back 100% after microfracture surgery. I've seen first hand as a Giants fan, the devastation of microfracture surgery they year back.

Cofield, Robbins, KP alone over the past 3 years have shown that your first year back, you are not 100%. Their 2nd years back, they had incredible years, even Robbins who was over 30 and got cut. Cofield got paid, and KP played excellent this year.

Smith going on IR last year is really not that much to be concerned about. He had a bone bruise in December, a 2-3 week injury. The fact that Philly put Smith on IR was not that surprising considering they could save a roster spot, they already reportedly tried to trade Smith signaling the relationship between the player and the franchise was strained, and Smith was already showing that first year back rust and wasn't really contributing. It'd be like me being concerned that Cruz was IRed his first year, even though it was a stash tactic in the first place.

And I fail to see where bridges were burned with the organization. Maybe the fans.

Do you think he has performed as well as he did before his injuries? If you do, you've not been paying attention. He tried to play last year and ended up on IR for a second year. That, my friend is factual substance.

RoanokeFan
02-27-2012, 12:41 PM

There were any number of links when it occurred. If you need to have one, search away. John Mara said Smith was offered a deal, before he was injured, that would have made him one of the highest paid wide receivers in the league. Smith said that never happened.

We all take sides and, for me, Smith's ship has sailed. We are not desperate for a wide receiver although Smith may be desperate for a team.

You speak of the pre-injury Smith. He's not performed up to those heights since his injuries. No one know what he's capable of doing in the present as he ended his season on IR yet again.

I was trying to point out smith never actually called mara a liar or publically said mara your a liar. He said he never heard about any contract extension. Again, way diff. Than calling mara a liar.

The giants and smith regret how things played out, guaranteed at least on smiths side. Eli and smith were dominant. If smiths healthy, of course you sign him. If he's not of course u don't. If the giants staff gave smith clearance and complete clean bill of health, and smith was right at the level pre injury, do u honestly believe tne giants would just pass up on trying to sign him?

He'd be lethal with nicks and cruz, like he'd have the absolute best chance at succeeding here, and our wr corp would be virtually unstoppable. His health is a big issue, but if he is, all smith and mara would have to do is be amlicable and just both state how they regretted what happened and smith has a good game all would be forgotten imo. Upside is huge and he will be legit dirt cheap which is a huge plus for us. Think bout that, we could have a healthy smith for pennies on the dollar when we have to be conservative with funds. If u asked me at the end of last yr, we could plan things to play out this way, it couldn't get any better...smith also had to watch us win a sb...that's on his head too

Did SMith use the word "liar", no her didn't. Mara explained, in general terms, what Smith was offered and Smith said it was news to him. Here's what he was offered:

<p style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 10px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; border-image: initial; outline-width: 0px; outline-style: initial; outline-color: initial; font-size: 12px; vertical-align: baseline; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); line-height: 17px; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: -webkit-auto; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial; ">"The truth is last year during the season we tried to sign him to a long-term deal, a huge deal that would have made him one of the highest-paid receivers in the league," Mara said. "His agent turned it down and wanted to wait and test the waters in free agency."</p><p style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 10px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; border-image: initial; outline-width: 0px; outline-style: initial; outline-color: initial; font-size: 12px; vertical-align: baseline; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); line-height: 17px; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: -webkit-auto; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial; ">"Unfortunately, Steve ended up getting hurt with a horrific knee injury that required microfracture surgery, which is about as serious an injury as you can sustain," Mara continued. "We attempted to re-sign him and we had an offer on the table with his agent for several weeks before he signed with the Eagles."</p><p style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 10px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; border-image: initial; outline-width: 0px; outline-style: initial; outline-color: initial; font-size: 12px; vertical-align: baseline; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); line-height: 17px; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: -webkit-auto; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial; ">Mara said the team "pressed" Smith's agent, Ben Dogra, to get back to them after the initial offer made in this free agency and that "they kept assuring us that they would."</p><p style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 10px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; border-image: initial; outline-width: 0px; outline-style: initial; outline-color: initial; font-size: 12px; vertical-align: baseline; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); line-height: 17px; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: -webkit-auto; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial; ">"We never did get any type of response or counter offer and next thing we knew he signed with the Eagles," Mara said. "Shame on us in the sense for not being more aggressive about it but I'm not sure what else we could have done."
</p>Mara admits, though, that the Giants likely would not have matched the one-year deal with a reported $2 million guaranteed.<p style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 10px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; border-image: initial; outline-width: 0px; outline-style: initial; outline-color: initial; font-size: 12px; vertical-align: baseline; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); line-height: 17px; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: -webkit-auto; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial; ">"You have to have the courage to say that if the number goes beyond that value, you got to be able to walk away," Mara said. "In this case, coming off the injury that he came off of, they definitely paid more money than we were willing to pay. We would have liked to have had an opportunity to counter but I am not so sure that we would have even gone there because it is a serious injury."
</p>http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/6871926/new-york-giants-ceo-attempted-keep-steve-smith-kevin-boss
<p style="margin: 0px; padding: 3px 0px 17px; line-height: 1.55em; color: rgb(68, 78, 92); font-family: Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">
</p>
<p style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 3px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 17px; padding-left: 0px; line-height: 1.55em; color: rgb(68, 78, 92); font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); ">
</p>

bgblucru5656
02-27-2012, 12:55 PM
he now knows the beagles offense. would be good to have him back for that reason

RoanokeFan
02-27-2012, 01:09 PM
he now knows the beagles offense. would be good to have him back for that reason

We always say that when a player comes or goes to a Division rival. Truthfully, I've never see a case where it made a real difference. When we played the 49ers in the regular season, it was suggested having David Baas would give us an edge. Not so much.

CruzSoldier
02-27-2012, 01:45 PM
+1,000,0000,000 I totally agree SS is a traitor and I wouldn't want him back.

burier
02-27-2012, 02:39 PM
like others have said Steve Smith is a turn coat.

Also the man is useless to us.

Victor Cruz is our slot reciever. We need a deep threat.

Its amazing how winning the Superbowl affects fans.

Suddenly we don't need to address anything on our team and we can rehire bum players that we don't even need just for the hell of it.

Eli TO Shockey
02-27-2012, 03:11 PM
like others have said Steve Smith is a turn coat.

Also the man is useless to us.

Victor Cruz is our slot reciever. We need a deep threat.

Its amazing how winning the Superbowl affects fans.

Suddenly we don't need to address anything on our team and we can rehire bum players that we don't even need just for the hell of it.

yea. god forbid a fan wants a player...who was a stud on the giants 2 years ago...to play for this team for a very small salary. maybe a "Sign Albert haynesworth" is more up your alley.

too much logic here for you to comprehend.

nhpgiantsfan
02-27-2012, 04:22 PM
Actually there is no logic at all. He gave the middle finger to this team. And we don't need him. Hope he enjoys his trip off the map.

nygsb42champs
02-27-2012, 04:24 PM
Don't see it happening. He burned his bridges here by bolting the way he did.

gmen0820
02-27-2012, 04:28 PM
How do you even know that he can still play after that knee injury???* Certainly didn't show anything last year that would lead to that conclusion . . . . .Name me 5 players who have had good years after microfracture surgery. Microfracture surgery will make your first year back a wash, especially when it happens in mid December, but it isn't an irrecoverable injury.</P>

Name me 5 Wr's that have returned to 100% pre-injury performance after microfracture surgery . . .. </P>

None of us know his physical status.* All we know is that he wasn't healthy last year.</P>I can name 3 players alone from the Giants the past three years.

KP, Cofield, Robbins. All recovered marvelously their second years back. And what do you mean no one knows his physical status? All injuries are reported, going off of his injuries and recent examples, my conclusion is much more valid than you saying that his play should be forever questioned because of a bad recovery year.

gmen0820
02-27-2012, 04:35 PM
Do you think he has performed as well as he did before his injuries?* If you do, you've not been paying attention.* He tried to play last year and ended up on IR for a second year.* That, my friend is factual substance.
How can anyone expect a player to have a good year after microfracture surgery in December is beyond me. Of course he didn't have a good year.

But clearly, you're trying to use the way Smith's season ended as a way to take away from the fact that he's entering a year right now where players have shown full strength, not to mention we can get him cheap. You act like he tried to play and he showed he physically couldn't do it. That's wrong, he suffered a bone bruise, a 4 week injury, tops. Normally a 2 week injury, but I say 4 because of the knee that suffered the bone bruise.

chasjay
02-27-2012, 04:38 PM
If Smith asks to come back to the team, I assume the front office will weigh four factors - (1) is he healthy enough? (2) is he affordable enough? (3) will the team be better with him? (4) can we get past the things that were said by him last year after he signed with the Eagles? If Mara, Tisch, Reese and Coughlin answer 'yes' to those 4 things, I'm good with his returning. If they say the answer is 'no', I'm good with that as well. I appreciate the good that Smith did while he was a member of the team, and if those who would be directly offended by his comments can work through it, why shouldn't I be able to?

Roosevelt
02-27-2012, 04:46 PM
If Smith asks to come back to the team, I assume the front office will weigh four factors - (1) is he healthy enough? (2) is he affordable enough? (3) will the team be better with him? (4) can we get past the things that were said by him last year after he signed with the Eagles? If Mara, Tisch, Reese and Coughlin answer 'yes' to those 4 things, I'm good with his returning. If they say the answer is 'no', I'm good with that as well. I appreciate the good that Smith did while he was a member of the team, and if those who would be directly offended by his comments can work through it, why shouldn't I be able to?

Sounds logical. In fact so much so I don't think that it's permitted on this board. [;)]

I was never a big SS fan. Yes he caught a lot of passes, but he dropped a lot too. Besides, he's a "me" guy.

Eli TO Shockey
02-27-2012, 04:46 PM
Actually there is no logic at all. He gave the middle finger to this team. And we don't need him. Hope he enjoys his trip off the map.

take your giants shades off for a second... If he played anywhere else, such as jaxonville, none of you would have any issue with bringing back Steve Smith. Yes, he did play for the eagles. and yes, he took 2 mil more than he would have recieved here. JR is not one to hold grudges..this is not a shockey situation. I would personally like to thank the Eagles for paying him what we couldnt afford. Bottom line, if an employer offered me a salary twice of what im currently getting paid, I wouldnt hesitate. Hard to get mad at Steve Smith. Not to mention, he feels horrible for the way everything played out. How many of you have had second chances in life? I know I have.

2 years, 1.5-2 mil total. With incentives. If he doesnt pan out, oh well...we're not paying him Eli Manning money. He was a great teammate. There were no complaints about him.

This is a low risk/high reward situation that can pay off big time. Im sure JR sees this as well and isnt thinking "screw steve smith, that turncoat". JR isnt a fanatic like some of us, and can actually think outside the box and make smart business decisions.

Steve Smith=Smart business decision.

Eli TO Shockey
02-27-2012, 04:48 PM

Sounds logical. In fact so much so I don't think that it's permitted on this board. [;)]

I was never a big SS fan. Yes he caught a lot of passes, but he dropped a lot too. Besides, he's a "me" guy.

please give me an example of steve smith being a "me" player while employed by the giants.

chasjay
02-27-2012, 04:58 PM

Well he's a WR - that explains the "me" part. And I'm not beating the drum that he's our best option for a #3 receiver. I just tend to remember the good things a player did more so than the bad (well, of course poor old Matt Dodge is another story). In particular I remember that 1st down conversion in XLII, just before the TD to Plax. That was a great effort on keeping us out of the 4th down situation. And yes, he put plenty of balls on the ground.

Marvelousmik
02-27-2012, 05:02 PM

cruz damn sure will be in the slot when we line up with 3 WR's. No doubt about it. If we line up with only 2 WR's only then will he play outside.

Eli TO Shockey
02-27-2012, 05:02 PM

Well he's a WR - that explains the "me" part. And I'm not beating the drum that he's our best option for a #3 receiver. I just tend to remember the good things a player did more so than the bad (well, of course poor old Matt Dodge is another story). In particular I remember that 1st down conversion in XLII, just before the TD to Plax. That was a great effort on keeping us out of the 4th down situation. And yes, he put plenty of balls on the ground.

im waiting to hear about these "me" situations that rosy is talking about.

Eli TO Shockey
02-27-2012, 05:04 PM

cruz damn sure will be in the slot when we line up with 3 WR's. No doubt about it. If we line up with only 2 WR's only then will he play outside.

he will without question catch balls from the slot. but he will be working primarily on the outside. He is more comfortable/affective there.

tdawg1413
02-27-2012, 05:08 PM
With this loaded WR class, there is absolutely zero reason to bring back Steve Smith.

TheEnigma
02-27-2012, 05:27 PM
If he came back at the right price, healthy, and kept his mouth shut, I'd be open to him coming back.

Could you imagine being a defensive coordinator and having to create a strategy to handle that type of WR corps? Add in a good TE from this draft possibly...

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2011/3/14/d451c89e-b172-4504-ba65-b5b21b0f0f6e.gif

RoanokeFan
02-27-2012, 06:09 PM

he will without question catch balls from the slot. but he will be working primarily on the outside. He is more comfortable/affective there.

How can you say anything for certain until you know who is going to be on the team? Fortunately for us, Cruz can play short stop and still make plays for us. I've never heard him complain about working the slot. He can run any play from the slot that he can run on the outside.

RoanokeFan
02-27-2012, 06:11 PM
If he came back at the right price, healthy, and kept his mouth shut, I'd be open to him coming back.

Could you imagine being a defensive coordinator and having to create a strategy to handle that type of WR corps? Add in a good TE from this draft possibly...

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2011/3/14/d451c89e-b172-4504-ba65-b5b21b0f0f6e.gif

Here's my problem. No one knows what condition Smith is presently in but it seems logical to think he won't be as good as he was when he played here after two injuries to the same leg.

TheEnigma
02-27-2012, 06:18 PM
Here's my problem.* No one knows what condition Smith is presently in but it seems logical to think he won't be as good as he was when he played here after two injuries to the same leg.*
You bring up a good point and I'll be honest: One of the main reasons I would want him back would be to create good competition for Jernigan so that it would push JJ to really earn that #3 spot. Even then, that's only a luxury type scenario if we can handle all of the other FA issues first.

JesseJames
02-27-2012, 06:21 PM
if Steve Smith is fully recovered I would take him back in a heart beat because it looks like Manningham is going to walk on for more money. Smith if healthy is an excellent receiver who knows the offense and knows how to get open has great hands and one more thing, Eli loved him as a go to go for the first down, but he has to be fully healthy and if he is we will be getting a great deal because he should come cheap and if that happens we won't even miss Mario...

giantsfan420
02-27-2012, 06:29 PM
The way I see it, mm is all but gone. While we have jj and barden as possible players to step up, reese would still have to have insurance, or some sort of alternate plan. Remember, we brought in stokely.

If we have to add a wr thru fa, its gonna have to be as cheap as possible but hopefully worth it. We could prob sign smith for the same money maybe even cheaper than we paid stokely. If he's even close to the player he was pre injury, not only would he make the most sense from a fiscal standpoint, he already knows our system and with eli had 109to receptions. So we know he knows our system and is a viable option.

Then u factor in what our offense could be while having jj as the 4 or 5 if u want barden at the 4, and we d have an amazing corp .

To me it just makes wayyyy to much sense. Plus rf posted an article and mara even said he regrets how the situation played out, tc and reese aren't above making the team better, the guy knows and thrives in our offense, surrounded by the talent we have now...I mean its perfect. He's got to be healthy of course, if he is, how do u pass up an insurance plan like smith for so cheap in case jj or barden don't pan out? And smith would prob earn the slot role outright but can also play each one of our wr spots, versatillity is huge...

Id be so stoked to see how amazing the o could be with him...wed be unstoppable with a n avg te

B-Red22
02-27-2012, 06:31 PM
hopefully never, i dont want that piece of trash back in blue

Voldamort
02-27-2012, 06:32 PM

could be right needs to come back cheap?

Eli TO Shockey
02-27-2012, 06:46 PM
The way I see it, mm is all but gone. While we have jj and barden as possible players to step up, reese would still have to have insurance, or some sort of alternate plan. Remember, we brought in stokely.

If we have to add a wr thru fa, its gonna have to be as cheap as possible but hopefully worth it. We could prob sign smith for the same money maybe even cheaper than we paid stokely. If he's even close to the player he was pre injury, not only would he make the most sense from a fiscal standpoint, he already knows our system and with eli had 109to receptions. So we know he knows our system and is a viable option.

Then u factor in what our offense could be while having jj as the 4 or 5 if u want barden at the 4, and we d have an amazing corp .

To me it just makes wayyyy to much sense. Plus rf posted an article and mara even said he regrets how the situation played out, tc and reese aren't above making the team better, the guy knows and thrives in our offense, surrounded by the talent we have now...I mean its perfect. He's got to be healthy of course, if he is, how do u pass up an insurance plan like smith for so cheap in case jj or barden don't pan out? And smith would prob earn the slot role outright but can also play each one of our wr spots, versatillity is huge...

Id be so stoked to see how amazing the o could be with him...wed be unstoppable with a n avg te

good post my man. didnt we pay stokely the minimum? not sure if we can pay SS less. lol

calzonesays
02-27-2012, 06:46 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Anh_MqsyBPM/S4faHR2_SVI/AAAAAAAAAj8/iEHZZvPOGAM/s640/do_not_want.jpg

JR made the right move letting him walk. His best years are behind .

Give the youngins a shot.

Eli TO Shockey
02-27-2012, 06:49 PM
JJ will get his opportunity with or without smith. barden, on the other hand, has been given his opportunity time and time again. So much that he ended up a healthy scratch the entire playoff run. Hate to give up on guys, but Ramses is no good.

jomo
02-27-2012, 06:54 PM
I guess I am with the minority view here that wouldn't mind having Smith as our #4 or 5 WR. The problem with that however is that backup wide receivers need to be large contributors on ST and I just don't see that coming from Smith especially post injury. Barden sat through the playoffs because there were other backup receivers and DB's who were better on ST. I guess I just made the argument against Smith lol.

ny06
02-27-2012, 06:54 PM
Only way I see Steve Smith coming back are a few things. </P>

1. He is willing to play the 3rd wr spot. </P>

2. Willing to take a reduced pay cut. </P>

But the one factor he has going for him. </P>

Smith and Eli have great chemistry on the field. </P>

</P>

Eli TO Shockey
02-27-2012, 07:23 PM
I guess I am with the minority view here that wouldn't mind having Smith as our #4 or 5 WR. The problem with that however is that backup wide receivers need to be large contributors on ST and I just don't see that coming from Smith especially post injury. Barden sat through the playoffs because there were other backup receivers and DB's who were better on ST. I guess I just made the argument against Smith lol.

I dont know about ramses. the 4th WR spot was his for the taking ever since coming off the PUP. he couldnt get a hold on it. He had a few nice catches throughout the year....but so did sinorice moss in his hayday(if u can even call it that) lol.

Smith at 60% of what he used to be will be out slot guy. he was suposed to be our #1 after his breakout season. Too much for him to handle. This time around, im sure we'll all settle for a good route runner who gets open on 3rd downs. That much, I think he can handle.

Eli TO Shockey
02-27-2012, 07:27 PM
Only way I see Steve Smith coming back are a few things. </p>

1. He is willing to play the 3rd wr spot. </p>

2. Willing to take a reduced pay cut. </p>

But the one factor he has going for him. </p>

Smith and Eli have great chemistry on the field. </p>

</p>

He is comfortable in the slot. I dont think that will be the issue. I agree, he needs to know his role coming here. I dont expect anyone to pay him anything more than a mil with incentives. For that money, hes worth the risk.

For him, if he really wants to resurrect his career and get another payday, coming to NY and playing with Eli will be his best opportunity. Hes a smart guy, im sure he realizes this....

I find it hard to believe that JR wont bite....if SS makes himself available of course (which I think he will).

RoanokeFan
02-27-2012, 07:48 PM

[:'(] I've been set adrift [8o|]

GMENAGAIN
02-27-2012, 08:41 PM
How do you even know that he can still play after that knee injury??? Certainly didn't show anything last year that would lead to that conclusion . . . . .Name me 5 players who have had good years after microfracture surgery. Microfracture surgery will make your first year back a wash, especially when it happens in mid December, but it isn't an irrecoverable injury.</P>

None of us know his physical status. All we know is that he wasn't healthy last year.</P>

I can name 3 players alone from the Giants the past three years. KP, Cofield, Robbins. All recovered marvelously their second years back. And what do you mean no one knows his physical status? All injuries are reported, going off of his injuries and recent examples, my conclusion is much more valid than you saying that his play should be forever questioned because of a bad recovery year.</P>

Read much?</P>

When did I say his health should forever be questioned? He was injured and has yet to show that he's healthy. Why would you assume that he's fully healthy until he proves it? You can bet that the Giants won't make that assumption . . . . . </P>

Are you really comparing the effect of microfracture surgery on a DT to the effect on a WR? </P>

You believe that KP is back to 100%? Because I certainly don't. He was on the verge of being a superstar and has fought his way back to being a pretty good safety. He clearly is not back to his pre-injury status, and probably never will be.</P>

Other than those things, you're post is right on!</P>

</P>

NWKEffectElement
02-27-2012, 09:11 PM
Steve Smith will NEVER be a Giant again, PERIOD!!! I will be more than willing to bet anyone.

M0rbid
02-27-2012, 09:25 PM
Damaged good is damaged good. We need to move on and play JJ / Barden or draft another WR.

gmen0820
02-27-2012, 10:29 PM
How do you even know that he can still play after that knee injury???* Certainly didn't show anything last year that would lead to that conclusion . . . . .Name me 5 players who have had good years after microfracture surgery. Microfracture surgery will make your first year back a wash, especially when it happens in mid December, but it isn't an irrecoverable injury.</P>

None of us know his physical status.* All we know is that he wasn't healthy last year.</P>

I can name 3 players alone from the Giants the past three years. KP, Cofield, Robbins. All recovered marvelously their second years back. And what do you mean no one knows his physical status? All injuries are reported, going off of his injuries and recent examples, my conclusion is much more valid than you saying that his play should be forever questioned because of a bad recovery year.</P>

Read much?</P>

When did I say his health should forever be questioned?* He was injured and has yet to show that he's healthy.* Why would you assume that he's fully healthy until he proves it?* You can bet that the Giants won't make that assumption . . . . . </P>

Are you really comparing the effect of microfracture surgery on a DT to the effect on a WR?* </P>

You believe that KP is back to 100%?* Because I certainly don't.* He was on the verge of being a superstar and has fought his way back to being a pretty good safety.* He clearly is not back to his pre-injury status, and probably never will be.</P>

Other than those things, you're post is right on!</P>

*</P>You said you don't know if he can still play after that knee injury, that definitely sounds like you are forever questioning his health.

And I'm comparing examples of the surgery and how devastating the effects are the first year back, and the recovery shown the second year back, and wether it's a DT or not is irrelevant to my point that the surgery requires two years back, and if anything, knee strength is just as necessary if not more necessary to a DT that needs to rely on quick bursts out of a stance and constant drive to do his job well.

If you don't find that logical enough, which I wouldn't understand why you wouldn't, then you might be more inclined to agree with the KP example, who has most certainly recovered from his injury from what I've seen (which is pretty baseless), and from his own account (which is not). He does everything he is asked and does it very effectively, maybe you didn't notice the blown coverages in the Dallas game he missed.

And you want to say that I don't know his physical status, you're right I don't, which is why I make logical assumptions on when a player should recover. And what is it that I have noticed? 3 players have micro fracture surgery, two different position groups and they both recovered marvelously their second year back for the Giants. And who cares what you think about Kenny Phillips recovery, you know no more and no less about evaluating a damn thing about a players recovery than anyone else on here, including myself. Maybe instead you should go off of player testimony, and here is what Phillips had to say:

Phillips always thought his time would come sooner. As a rookie in 2008, he was held back to learn the Giants' complicated defensive schemes. The next year, he got off to a strong start, picking off the Cowboys' Tony Romo in the second game of the year. But just days later, he landed on injured reserve with a degenerative knee injury.

The knee eventually required microfracture surgery, a procedure that typically requires more than a year of recovery. Phillips, however, tried to rush back and he was back on the field by last year's training camp.

Thing is, his knee wasn't ready. Phillips played 16 games and made 77 tackles last season, but he was never at full strength.

"I wasn't as close to where I thought I would be," he said. "A lot of guys were telling me it was going to take a year (to get healthy), but I was doing my best to prove them wrong. It turns out, they were right."

Fewell realized the risk of injury, though and he said he "protected" Phillips throughout the year. Phillips likes playing near the line of scrimmage, but he rarely found himself in his favorite spot. Instead, the Giants signed Deon Grant and used him near the line. Fewell played Phillips as a deep safety, hoping to keep the youngster away from collisions.

"I didn't mind playing that role, especially if we were winning," Phillips said. "Antrel Rolle was doing well. Deon Grant was doing well. So I was stuck in my role."

Those problems are gone this season, though. Grant was not re-signed, opening the door for Phillips to play the in-the-box role he desires. And his knee is finally healthy. He spent the offseason training aggressively, regaining his old explosiveness and he recently spoke with coach Tom Coughlin and Fewell to assure them that he was back to his old self.

"It's fine," he said. "It's been a while since I even had to see a doctor ... the knee is not an issue."

All that's left is to prove himself on the field. Fewell said he has impressed with Phillips' "football IQ" early in camp and Coughlin is anxious to see him flash his old speed.

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2011-08-03/sports/29862454_1_defensive-coordinator-perry-fewell-kenny-phillips-giants-safety

Well, what does Phillips know, right? So maybe you can take micro fracture for what it is, a severe knee surgery that completely washes away a year. I'm not saying you are completely wrong in saying that Smith might never be able to play because neither of us know the exact truth, I'm just saying that your reasoning for it (Certainly didn't show anything last year that would lead to that conclusion . . . . .) is poor, and that is being generous, because almost nobody has a good year after micro fracture surgery.

Unless of course, you're still working on that list on superstars post micro fracture surgery who are just as effective. If you are, I'll wait!

gmen0820
02-27-2012, 10:36 PM
And by the way, Marques Colston (WR, plays for the Saints) has recovered from micro fracture surgery in his knee.

And although his first year back he had a career low in yards per reception, he did nonetheless recover, although he did need another procedure in his knee. He is now for the most part recovered, I say the most part because he has always been injury proned.

JesseJames
02-28-2012, 06:06 PM
I think that too many of you guys seem to forget that team loyalty sold out to big pay days, if the team brings back Steve Smith it will just be doing business with nothing personal involved.

02-28-2012, 06:12 PM
</P>

Ha Ha Ha!!</P>

Axels15
02-28-2012, 06:41 PM
</P>

Ha Ha Ha!!</P>

v

Gmen2005
02-28-2012, 06:41 PM
I'd take him back.

BlueSanta
02-28-2012, 07:10 PM
I dont think so. Not because of any problem with him but because he is a slot guy. Cruz is now our slot guy now and JJ is developing slot guy who we havent been able to even see play because of Cruz's excellence.

If we get another WR, it will be a guy we can play outside.

Eli TO Shockey
03-05-2012, 04:22 PM
BRING BACK #12!!!

http://www.giantsfootballblog.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Steve-Smith.jpg

<div id="picWrapper">
http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Steve+Smith+Kareem+Jackson+New+York+Giants+pmjn8s8 Goe9l.jpg

<div id="picWrapper">
http://www4.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Eli+Manning+Steve+Smith+NFC+Championship+New+ckqiX NMrnhKl.jpg
</div>

</div>

NY_Eli
03-05-2012, 06:41 PM
BRING BACK #12!!!

I agree 100%. Every time a team 'mistreats' a player we're quick to say 'well the nfl is a business'. It works the other way around as well. Both he and the giants made business decisions last year.

Now, it makes business sense to bring him back. He has a proven rapport with Eli and knows the slot position inside and out.

NWKEffectElement
03-05-2012, 08:19 PM
I can't wait until this is put to rest.

BParcells777
03-05-2012, 08:30 PM
Eternity........................... imagine an 8 lying on its side[:)]

When the Giants part ways its Permanent

RoanokeFan
03-05-2012, 08:39 PM
BRING BACK #12!!!

I agree 100%. Every time a team 'mistreats' a player we're quick to say 'well the nfl is a business'. It works the other way around as well. Both he and the giants made business decisions last year.

Now, it makes business sense to bring him back. He has a proven rapport with Eli and knows the slot position inside and out.

Exactly what about Steve Smith's performance last year makes anyone think he'd be a benefit here?

Signing Hixon makes it even less likely Smith will be brought back.

BParcells777
03-05-2012, 08:43 PM
I did not say he would not be effective......it takes 2 yrs to come back form micro-fracture surgery

The Giants would bring Tiki back before they would re-sign Steve-o who went to the Eagles

alau53
03-05-2012, 09:03 PM
i think steve smith would be perfect for the jets..he'd be a good saftey valve in the middle of the field for sanchez...if smith's healthy he's valuable to any team..cruz is great cause he can play wideout or the slot

NY_Eli
03-05-2012, 10:53 PM
BRING BACK #12!!!

Exactly what about Steve Smith's performance last year makes anyone think he'd be a benefit here?

If he can come cheap, why not bring him in to take a look at?

It takes a while to get back to full strength after an injury like he had. I think it's a low risk high reward type situation.

RoanokeFan
03-05-2012, 10:55 PM
BRING BACK #12!!!

It takes a while to get back to full strength after an injury like he had. I think it's a low risk high reward type situation.

We simply don't have the money available under the CAP. WR is not a must for us at this point in time. That's especially true for a player whose skill sets are in question.

A question no one seems to have brought up is why don't the eagles want him back if he's so talented?

NY_Eli
03-05-2012, 11:01 PM
BRING BACK #12!!!

We simply don't have the money available under the CAP.* WR is not a must for us at this point in time.* That's especially true for a player whose skill sets are in question.

A question no one seems to have brought up is why don't the eagles want him back if he's so talented?

Fair enough, though I'm sure Reese will do some restructuring to take care of the cap situation. I don't think he would cost us that much either.

As for the eagles, they only know him by what he was last year: gimpy. The giants know what he has the potential to be when fully healthy.

I think the thought of Cruz and Nicks on the outside with Smith in the slot to move the chains is too enticing to pass up. Why not at least bring him in for a workout?

We'll see what happens, but I have trouble believing that Reese isn't even considering it. As he said, they look at EVERYTHING. Nothing is off the table, so I don't know why SS12 would be.

RoanokeFan
03-05-2012, 11:09 PM
BRING BACK #12!!!

We simply don't have the money available under the CAP. WR is not a must for us at this point in time. That's especially true for a player whose skill sets are in question.

Fair enough, though I'm sure Reese will do some restructuring to take care of the cap situation. I don't think he would cost us that much either.

As for the eagles, they only know him by what he was last year: gimpy. The giants know what he has the potential to be when fully healthy.

I think the thought of Cruz and Nicks on the outside with Smith in the slot to move the chains is too enticing to pass up. Why not at least bring him in for a workout?

We'll see what happens, but I have trouble believing that Reese isn't even considering it. As he said, they look at EVERYTHING. Nothing is off the table, so I don't know why SS12 would be.

Cruz is better than Smith, period. Slot, outside, wherever. Hixon is a dependable # 3 if Jernigan doesn't step up and then there's D Thomas in the wings. All three of these guys contribute on STs as well. Steve Smith does not.

giantsfan420
03-06-2012, 12:05 AM
BRING BACK #12!!!

We simply don't have the money available under the CAP.* WR is not a must for us at this point in time.* That's especially true for a player whose skill sets are in question.

Cruz is better than Smith, period.* Slot, outside, wherever.* Hixon is a dependable # 3 if Jernigan doesn't step up and then there's D Thomas in the wings.* All three of these guys contribute on STs as well.* Steve Smith does not.

well at least you've completely disqualified your opinion on the subject. hixon is a dependable #3??? riiiiiight...

get over it, smith will at the least be worked out and looked at.

ur reasoning is so flawed on this i dont get it, on everything else u seem to be spot on. bc the eagles might not want smith back, that means he's finished? well i guess i'm glad reese missed the memo on that kind of reasoning bc no team wanted cruz and was passed up by 32 teams...

and cruz can be the better wr and smith still be useful to the team, u do understand that right?

and wr is a must. last season, we got handcuffed into hoping stokely would be able to be the slot guy bc before the season began, we took a large risk in hoping the guy was already on the team. he was, cruz, but still, i doubt reese makes the same mistake twice.

his skill set isnt in question at all, his health is. and as gmen has stated over...and over..and over again, players coming off of microfracture surgery simply do not play at a high level the year following the surgery. dont get why u just simply refuse to understand this. gmen listed several players, players even from our own team, as to prove this point. coefield, robbins were two players who struggled badly the season after their microfracture surgery, two years after, they each had career years.

IF smith is healthy, he is an extremely valuable asset. the giants wanted smith back last season, u realize that right? they simply knew what gmen has been saying and u've been refusing to accept, he wasn't going to be healthy enough to make a solid contribution.

again, just some points you CANNOT overlook:

eli 2 smith led to smith setting a nyg record for receptions in a season (kinda similar to cruz breaking the nyg record for yards in a season) with 109.
smith was our #1 wr in 09.
when smith and nicks were both onfield, SMITH WAS THE ONE TEAMS DOUBLE TEAMED.
smith can play the slot and out wide, versatility is a commodity reese is high on.
smith knows the offense.
smith has succeeded at the highest of levels in this offense.
we will need a reliable 3rd wr for when opposing defenses implore the BB "make the wr other than nicks/cruz beat us", while i am happy we have guys like d.thomas hixon and JJ, i simply do not believe they can be that guy we can depend on to help win us games. (JJ might, but he'll need a guy like smith to learn from)
Smith, now two years removed from a successful season, will be the cheapest a player of his potential and caliber will be. he will be the best option, at the best price to our cap.
Reese and Mara both have said they regret how they handled the situation, and said they wanted smith to be a giant.
Smith has said he regrets how the situation played out, and that he wants to be a giant.
Reese doesn't make decisions based on personal emotions. he makes decisions based on whats best to improve the team. A healthy steve smith IMPROVES OUR TEAM TREMENDOUSLY.
Having a guy like smith, allows cruz to move outside, something that can be huge for us. as well, smith can play out wide, which allows cruz to move to the slot if need be, which is huge for us.

face it, the reasons to at the least work smith out trump ur personal dislike of smith. i dont know if u exactly understand the situation as u prob do believe hixon is a dependable 3rd wr...

edit-and dont u find it kind of hypocritical and flawed for u to cry "injury injury injury" for smith, then go "hixon is dependable" when he's played a few games the past what, 3 seasons? if ur so willing to believe hixon will be healthy, why the disbelief smith can be? further, u act as if hixon had produced at the level smith has, when fact is, as a wr, hixon never even produced half of what smith gave us...ur outlook on this is very questionable, especially when on virtually every other aspect of giants football, ur one of the most level headed, intelligent fans around here...

gmen0820
03-06-2012, 12:11 AM
giantsfan420, I seriously had about the same post typed and just closed the tab because I don't know how else to put it for people to see, AT LEAST, the low risk high reward nature of a signing like this. I'm dumbfounded.

giantsfan420
03-06-2012, 12:15 AM
giantsfan420, I seriously had about the same post typed and just closed the tab because I don't know how else to put it for people to see, AT LEAST, the low risk high reward nature of a signing like this. I'm dumbfounded.

i dont doubt it at all. u've provided more than enough ample, substantiated, provable claims on the subject.

its not even the fact some dont think he'll be a giant, its the fact their are posters who believe that the giants should refuse to even entertain the possibility. if he's healthy, smith could make our wr corp even better than it was with mm, as u and i have documented several times already. i kinda cant wait to just put this issue to bed and read about how reese worked smith out and made an offer to him...

giantsfan420
03-06-2012, 12:17 AM
oh and btw, have u thought about the draft yet? i'd really like to see u make a thread about possible targets we could draft, u got a great mind when it comes to evaluating talent.

when u get some time, it'd make for a great thread. just throwing the request out there

RoanokeFan
03-06-2012, 12:17 AM

We simply disagree, it's really not complicated

gmen0820
03-06-2012, 12:21 AM

i dont doubt it at all. u've provided more than enough ample, substantiated, provable claims on the subject.

its not even the fact some dont think he'll be a giant, its the fact their are posters who believe that the giants should refuse to even entertain the possibility. if he's healthy, smith could make our wr corp even better than it was with mm, as u and i have documented several times already. i kinda cant wait to just put this issue to bed and read about how reese worked smith out and made an offer to him...I think it makes too much sense for both parties involved. NY is losing a reciever and are cash strapped, Smith is a fit. Smith wants to rehab his value first and foremost, and Eli/Gilbride and NY is the place to do it.

But now we just sound like broken records.

gmen0820
03-06-2012, 12:24 AM
oh and btw, have u thought about the draft yet? i'd really like to see u make a thread about possible targets we could draft, u got a great mind when it comes to evaluating talent.

when u get some time, it'd make for a great thread. just throwing the request out thereI normally heat up a week or two before the draft. Have to be honest though, with the SB win, I'm so much less prepared to make my usual draft predictions.

lawl
03-06-2012, 12:32 AM
I'm with bluesanta on this one. I think it'd help our offense alot more if we could find a guy to play on the outside in 3 wide such that we could keep Cruz in the slot in 3 wide sets. Steve doesn't really fit that mold. Honestly, I think plax would be much more beneficial to our offense when compared to ss12. (if we're just comparing ex giants)

Flip Empty
03-06-2012, 12:38 AM
I'm just gonna continue my campaign for Eddie Royal haha

NY_Eli
03-06-2012, 01:03 AM
BRING BACK #12!!!

Cruz is better than Smith, period.* Slot, outside, wherever.* Hixon is a dependable # 3 if Jernigan doesn't step up and then there's D Thomas in the wings.* All three of these guys contribute on STs as well.* Steve Smith does not.

I agree 100% that Cruz is the better receiver. If the giants brought Smith in, they would probably tell him he needs to compete with Hixon and Jernigan for the number 3 spot.

We all saw how dominant Smith was on third down when he was here. If Eli has Nicks and Cruz running routes on the outside, and Smith in the slot finding some space to get open, the passing attack will be near impossible to defend. That's why I think at the very least SS should be given a workout.

RonnieRotten
03-06-2012, 02:10 AM
*giantsfan420* spoke a lot of the truth. More than anything is that......
Eli would love to have Steve Smith back. If he is healthy we will be better than 8 - 8. ....more like.....11-5. Steve does not make mental mistakes like MM and sometimes HN. He is always in tune with Eli. Steve Smith helps *move the chains*. Keeps the defense off the field. This last year Gilbride had to *dummy down* the offense because of wide receiver's mental mistakes. MM was the leader of this group. Steve Smith is a stand up guy who was *dissed* by Mara and the GM. They waited way too long to even throw him a bone. He had to take care of himself by accepting 2-4 mil from the Eagles. Granted,,, the lock-out by owners and others in management last year changed the time line for free agents .... but Mara and Reese definitely *dropped the ball* (NPI) with Steve Smith.
Sign him ASAP!

RonnieRotten - Las Vegas, NV.

FeaglesPuntsEaglesRunts
03-06-2012, 02:15 AM
You guys are nuts. This dude is an injury machine, there is no way we waste money on him.

Draft a guy in the 4th, pick-up someone from FA, resign Manningham, we have a million better options than Steve Smith.

RoanokeFan
03-06-2012, 08:20 AM
BRING BACK #12!!!

Cruz is better than Smith, period. Slot, outside, wherever. Hixon is a dependable # 3 if Jernigan doesn't step up and then there's D Thomas in the wings. All three of these guys contribute on STs as well. Steve Smith does not.

I agree 100% that Cruz is the better receiver. If the giants brought Smith in, they would probably tell him he needs to compete with Hixon and Jernigan for the number 3 spot.

We all saw how dominant Smith was on third down when he was here. If Eli has Nicks and Cruz running routes on the outside, and Smith in the slot finding some space to get open, the passing attack will be near impossible to defend. That's why I think at the very least SS should be given a workout.

We'll just have to wait and see.

ShockeyShow
03-06-2012, 08:38 AM
If Eli and Coughlin want him back, he'll be back....simple as that.

Who can blame the guy for wanting to get paid for something he deserved even despite the injury. Its a two-way street. We always say, "It's a business" when we are put in tough decisions when it comes to cutting a player.

It's the same thing from the player's perspective, and I think many fail to see it that way.

NY_Eli
03-06-2012, 08:38 AM
BRING BACK #12!!!

We'll just have to wait and see.

That's the plan!
[Y]

bigblue5611
03-06-2012, 10:34 PM

Bring back #12!!!!

Smith is now twice injured and called John Mara a liar.* We don't have a void at WR but we do at tight end.* Steve Smith is damaged goods with a burning bridge in his past.

didnt Osi call Mr. Jerry Reese a liar? ;)

RoanokeFan
03-06-2012, 11:58 PM

Bring back #12!!!!

Smith is now twice injured and called John Mara a liar. We don't have a void at WR but we do at tight end. Steve Smith is damaged goods with a burning bridge in his past.

didnt Osi call Mr. Jerry Reese a liar? ;)

He did indeed and he's still here.

Bohemian
03-07-2012, 12:07 AM
Just for the record. I don't think that Steve Smith is better than Victor (El Salsero) Cruz. I would only bring Smith back if the money is right, and on a one year deal to see if he can really be a contributor... otherwise, there is no absolute need for his services.

Yankees807
03-07-2012, 12:36 AM
I don't think anyone is saying steve smith is better then Cruz. Obviously not after what we saw this year. But a solid guy in the slot is very very important.A healthy smith who is comfortable w eli may work out better then Manningham. Ya never know.

MattMeyerBud
03-07-2012, 03:58 PM
everybody forgets one of the weirdest things to ever happen:

Before the Philly2 game this year, Adam Schefter reported that Steve Smith will no doubt be a giant next year

I think its in the cards

Roswell777
03-07-2012, 04:13 PM
He knows the system, is on the same page with the qb, has played in and won a super bowl and has a chip on his shoulder.

If healthy, why wouldnt the Giants want him back? The last full season he played for the Giants, he was great.

giantsfan420
03-07-2012, 04:35 PM

Before the Philly2 game this year, Adam Schefter reported that* Steve Smith will no doubt be a giant next year

I think its in the cards

i remember that. i made a post a couple weeks earlier based on what smiths agent told me. i got flamed by quite a few posters who claimed i was making the whole thing up...it was sweet when shefter basically reported my post.

i'm like 90% sure he's gonna be a giant...

ShockeyShow
03-07-2012, 04:44 PM
I'd feel a lot better if you were 91%..... :-P

MattMeyerBud
03-07-2012, 05:21 PM

Before the Philly2 game this year, Adam Schefter reported that Steve Smith will no doubt be a giant next year

I think its in the cards

i remember that. i made a post a couple weeks earlier based on what smiths agent told me. i got flamed by quite a few posters who claimed i was making the whole thing up...it was sweet when shefter basically reported my post.

i'm like 90% sure he's gonna be a giant...

yea i had ur back on that

I got a pretty credible source that really never steered me wrong that agrees

JesseJames
03-07-2012, 05:31 PM
i'm just wondering why some people say they wouldn't want Steve Smith back here and call him a traitor for signing with the Eagles but those same people have no problem wanting Plax back who did basically the same thing in signing with the Jets when he had a chance to come back to the Giants

RoanokeFan
03-07-2012, 06:31 PM

I think its in the cards

Shuffle the deck [;)]

giantsfan420
03-07-2012, 07:02 PM

lol well played.

and mmb yeah i remember you talking about it being a real possibility for some time now.

giantsfan420
03-07-2012, 07:02 PM

lol well played.

and mmb yeah i remember you talking about it being a real possibility for some time now.

NY_Eli
03-10-2012, 10:00 AM
[link]http://www.giants101.com/2012/03/10/adam-schefter-feels-steve-smith-will-return-to-new-york-giants/[link[

NY_Eli
03-10-2012, 10:00 AM
http://www.giants101.com/2012/03/10/adam-schefter-feels-steve-smith-will-return-to-new-york-giants/

giantsfan420
03-10-2012, 10:03 AM
glad this was bumped. i was watching highlights from the 07 sb run, and after we beat NE, it was either Wellington or Mara, but he sought Smith directly, went up to him, and the two shared an embrace. You could see the respect and admiration the two shared with each other.

Absolutely ZERO chance that the owners are against re-signing Smith.

Oh and thank you for the link NYELI...Shefter is the best in the biz at what he does, I too believe he'll be a Giant relatively quickly into free agency.

NY_Eli
03-10-2012, 10:06 AM
glad this was bumped. i was watching highlights from the 07 sb run, and after we beat NE, it was either Wellington or Mara, but he sought Smith directly, went up to him, and the two shared an embrace. You could see the respect and admiration the two shared with each other.

Oh and thank you for the link NYELI...Shefter is the best in the biz at what he does, I too believe he'll be a Giant relatively quickly into free agency.

I'd like to see them at least work him out. See how his recovery is going. For the potential price they could get him at is seems like a pretty safe move.

RoanokeFan
03-10-2012, 11:22 AM

Wellington Mara died in 2005

giantsfan420
03-10-2012, 11:27 AM

Wellington Mara died in 2005

it was the one who gave a speech at the parade and stadium that had old man long hair. not rock star style but long for rich types. one of em has glasses right? not the one with glasses. sorry, brain aint working got no sleep last night

edit-sorry wasnt mara, it was tisch

WR4Life
03-10-2012, 11:44 AM
http://www.giants101.com/2012/03/10/adam-schefter-feels-steve-smith-will-return-to-new-york-giants/

Schefter reported it? Most likely a done deal then.

Diamondring
03-10-2012, 11:49 AM
He's not coming back here and if he did, I bet he won't be spectacular. He isn't a smart player trying to come back early.

giantsfan420
03-10-2012, 12:45 PM
He's not coming back here and if he did, I bet he won't be spectacular. He isn't a smart player trying to come back early.

for some reason, now i feel even better about his chances to return and that he'll be very good when he does.

Eli TO Shockey
03-10-2012, 03:15 PM

yes!

Eli TO Shockey
03-10-2012, 03:16 PM

for some reason, now i feel even better about his chances to return and that he'll be very good when he does.

how many guys in the NFL can you call "spectacular"? 5-10? With a minimal contract, he wont be asked to catch 100 balls for 1000 yards. BUT, he will be great in the slot and help in 3rd down situations.

ELI_Iz_God
03-10-2012, 03:24 PM

Big mistake....Dude has zero Integrity. I'd question Reese's too if he took him back.

Redeyejedi
03-10-2012, 03:25 PM
Wrong! Just like your wrong about SS coming back here. Cruz is only 6 feet tall. He is much better suited inside. The fact that you think they are going to move a guy who just had a 1500 yard season is disturbing.Manningham is 6 ft as well. The fact that he's 6 foot doesn't mean that he can't play outside.

The ball skills, speed, and route running he possesses is extremely valuable as a Z receiver opposite of Nicks. Think Marvin Harrison.Yeah but the Giants have been kicking the tires on outside receivers Reuben Randle and Stephen Hill .I think they are looking to add size on the outside

RoanokeFan
03-10-2012, 08:32 PM

The ball skills, speed, and route running he possesses is extremely valuable as a Z receiver opposite of Nicks. Think Marvin Harrison.Yeah but the Giants have been kicking the tires on outside receivers Reuben Randle and Stephen Hill .I think they are looking to add size on the outside

I'm not sure WR is a must fill issue for us ahead of, say the OLine. We need to be concerned with improving the running game (blocking).

swimeasy
03-10-2012, 08:42 PM

I'm not sure WR is a must fill issue for us ahead of, say the OLine. We need to be concerned with improving the running game (blocking).

^THIS!

And indirectly the passing game will be helped as well with this same approach.

RoanokeFan
03-10-2012, 08:47 PM

^THIS!

And indirectly the passing game will be helped as well with this same approach.

They feed off each other. Having Hixon back, assuming healthy, also give the return game a boost.

nhpgiantsfan
03-10-2012, 08:49 PM
Not at all thrilled about this. I want to keep Cruz in the slot and get a bigger more bruising WR to compliment Nicks and Cruz. Someone with height that can go up and get those jump balls in the corner of the end zone.

RoanokeFan
03-10-2012, 08:50 PM
Not at all thrilled about this. I want to keep Cruz in the slot and get a bigger more bruising WR to compliment Nicks and Cruz. Someone with height that can go up and get those jump balls in the corner of the end zone.

Let's just wait to see who is on the final 53.

gmen46
03-10-2012, 09:26 PM

It's not a news "report" by Schefter. It's an article reporting on Schefter's FEELING about the possibility.

As far as I know, as good as Schefter has been at sussing out sports news, he has won no prizes for reporting his "feelings".

Simma donna.

gmen0820
03-10-2012, 09:46 PM

The ball skills, speed, and route running he possesses is extremely valuable as a Z receiver opposite of Nicks. Think Marvin Harrison.Yeah but the Giants have been kicking the tires on outside receivers Reuben Randle and Stephen Hill .I think they are looking to add size on the outsideYeah we haven't had a tall impact guy in a while. I like Randle and Hill. Randle seems safer but Hill has a lot of upside and I've made some bad calls when it comes to safe vs upside (I liked Morgan over JPP).

Then again I liked Nicks more than Heyward-Bey. Who do you like more, Randle or Hill?

RoanokeFan
03-10-2012, 09:50 PM

The ball skills, speed, and route running he possesses is extremely valuable as a Z receiver opposite of Nicks. Think Marvin Harrison.Yeah but the Giants have been kicking the tires on outside receivers Reuben Randle and Stephen Hill .I think they are looking to add size on the outsideYeah we haven't had a tall impact guy in a while. I like Randle and Hill. Randle seems safer but Hill has a lot of upside and I've made some bad calls when it comes to safe vs upside (I liked Morgan over JPP).

Then again I liked Nicks more than Heyward-Bey. Who do you like more, Randle or Hill?

Barden was supposed to fill that need....

gmen0820
03-10-2012, 09:56 PM

Barden leaves a lot to be wanted unfortunately.

WR4Life
03-10-2012, 09:57 PM

It's not a news "report" by Schefter. It's an article reporting on Schefter's FEELING about the possibility.

As far as I know, as good as Schefter has been at sussing out sports news, he has won no prizes for reporting his "feelings".

Simma donna.

Of course his feelings don't mean anything but it seems like what he thinks is usually pretty much what happens. He's the only guy on espn that I give any credence to.

RoanokeFan
03-11-2012, 12:23 AM

So it seems. They will do with him what they did with Sinorice Moss....

gmen0820
03-11-2012, 12:30 AM

So it seems.* They will do with him what they did with Sinorice Moss....
A lot of WRs break out in year 3. I give him one more year to get over 35 catches and 450 yards. If he can do that, he's worth a backup spot unless we can upgrade.