PDA

View Full Version : Chargers Fans

Antwuan
02-28-2012, 01:44 AM
Why is it that Chargers Fans have not gotten over 2004?

I still see hate comments from Chargers Fans towards Eli. Eli Manning is a 2-Time Superbowl Champion its time for Chargers Fans to forgive him and at least respect what he has done if you don't like him.

GmenFan1980
02-28-2012, 01:48 AM
http://content.boards.philadelphiaeagles.com/public/style_emoticons/default/nonono.gif Charger fans will just forever be bitter.....Till someone else decides to flip them the bird and refuse to play for them

SweetZombieJesus
02-28-2012, 07:18 AM
They can't see past their pride at what a bad organization they have, aided by those years of regular season success blinding them to the faults.

Plus you have to admit what Eli did was almost unprecedented.

Just consider how they ruined/wasted Ryan Leaf and Drew Brees, would you be eager to be the next QB ruined by them?

flamethrower
03-02-2012, 01:25 PM
You forgot to mention 1 small detail. Their only Pro level Championship at all. the 1963 AFL championship win is all that they have to brag about. That is it. No Baseball World Series titles. No NBA Championships. Too bad the Clippers left for LA. No NHL team ever has even looked at that city. In fact the only Championship that they can claim is the NASL indoor Championsip. 1982, and 1984. I don't consider Indoor Soccer top level. Even thou it is a much more fun game to watch.

jjj45
03-02-2012, 02:07 PM
I went on their message boards after the SB and so many of them have finally realized that their organization is the problem. A lot of them admit that Eli was right in his decision for not going there. Some of them have stopped hating him also.

Of course they said that it was all our system that made Eli successful, while the Chargers haven't surrounded Rivers with the amount of talent that Eli has. (give me a break!) And that Phillip would have won those SB's had he been in NY, while Eli wouldn't have in San Diego.

So in the end, they're still full of crap.

BobbyD
03-02-2012, 04:53 PM
You forgot to mention 1 small detail. Their only Pro level Championship at all. the 1963 AFL championship win is all that they have to brag about. That is it. No Baseball World Series titles. No NBA Championships. Too bad the Clippers left for LA. No NHL team ever has even looked at that city. In fact the only Championship that they can claim is the NASL indoor Championsip.* 1982, and 1984. I don't consider Indoor Soccer top level. Even thou it is a much more fun game to watch.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f7/mjoven1975/chargers1.jpg

scoopscj
03-02-2012, 10:47 PM
They love Phillip Rivers.... haha.

http://www.uglyfours.com/storage/a1807a42a1108d53504c2649062912d7.jpg?__SQUARESPACE _CACHEVERSION=1292000466505

LTMVP8686
03-03-2012, 07:47 AM
The "talented" Phillip Rivers has not done it in the playoffs and with quality players on offense and also an offense-minded coach in Norv Turner. Rivers has lost twice to Brady and once to Big Ben. His team lost at home in the first round when they went 14-2 one season. He has beaten Peyton Manning twice but Manning's playoff record is average at best.

The Chargers RB, Ryan Matthews, this season, had close to 1100 rushing yards, while WR Vincent Jackson had over 1100 receiving yards and Rivers STILL couldnt lead his team to the playoffs. Phillips Rivers was elite at throwing picks this year with 20.

He has also thrown 9 interceptions in 7 playoffs games.

giantyankee1976
03-03-2012, 10:05 AM
I went on their message boards after the SB and so many of them have finally realized that their organization is the problem. A lot of them admit that Eli was right in his decision for not going there. Some of them have stopped hating him also.

Of course they said that it was all our system that made Eli successful, while the Chargers haven't surrounded Rivers with the amount of talent that Eli has. (give me a break!) And that Phillip would have won those SB's had he been in NY, while Eli wouldn't have in San Diego.

<font size="5">So in the end, they're still full of crap.</font>

LOL

I approve this message

They love Phillip Rivers.... haha.

http://www.uglyfours.com/storage/a1807a42a1108d53504c2649062912d7.jpg?__SQUARESPACE _CACHEVERSION=1292000466505

got the replacement Joker for Batman now

Redeyejedi
03-03-2012, 10:22 AM

I still see hate comments from Chargers Fans towards Eli. Eli Manning is a 2-Time Superbowl Champion its time for Chargers Fans to forgive him and at least respect what he has done if you don't like him.He went out and completely dissed their franchise. I dont blame them for hating him.

chasjay
03-03-2012, 11:51 AM

I still see hate comments from Chargers Fans towards Eli. Eli Manning is a 2-Time Superbowl Champion its time for Chargers Fans to forgive him and at least respect what he has done if you don't like him.He went out and completely dissed their franchise. I dont blame them for hating him.

That is an over-simplification of the events. A.J. Smith did not want Eli just as much as Eli did not want the Chargers. Smith's making public of what the Mannings told the Chargers in private gave Smith the cover he needed to turn the Charger fans against Eli and allow him to get Rivers, who was the QB they wanted all along. Smith played the situation like a Bobby Fischer.

All that being said, I fully understand why the dedicated Charger fans would pull against someone who said he didn't want to play there.

Redeyejedi
03-03-2012, 11:55 AM

That is an over-simplification of the events. A.J. Smith did not want Eli just as much as Eli did not want the Chargers. Smith's making public of what the Mannings told the Chargers in private gave Smith the cover he needed to turn the Charger fans against Eli and allow him to get Rivers, who was the QB they wanted all along. Smith played the situation like a Bobby Fischer.

All that being said, I fully understand why the dedicated Charger fans would pull against someone who said he didn't want to play there.
The only thing Charger fans care about is that Eli didnt want to play there

Blue daddy
03-03-2012, 12:13 PM
Mad at the fact if they had Eli they would of won two Super Bowls. It doesn't work that way you have to have a front office also.

TheBookOfEli
03-04-2012, 01:21 AM
They love Phillip Rivers.... haha.*

http://blogs.westword.com/showandtell/10%20mouth%20eyes.jpg

miked1958
03-04-2012, 03:32 AM
Eli IMO now takes the lead of the 3 drafted in 04. As mentioned in the Thread for whatever reason Rivers just hasnt gotten it done and is more like tony romo then Eli.

Big Ben is 2-1 in SBs getting blown out by GB, and one of his SB rings was won despite him, not because of him. He was absolutely horrific in that first SB appearance.

Eli is 2-0 and has looked great in both of his SBs, with two game winning drives right at the end in do or die situations and has 2 SB MVPs

CASE CLOSED!!!

giantyankee1976
03-04-2012, 09:19 AM
Eli IMO now takes the lead of the 3 drafted in 04. As mentioned in the Thread for whatever reason Rivers just hasnt gotten it done and is more like tony romo then Eli.

Big Ben is 2-1 in SBs getting blown out by GB, and one of his SB rings was won despite him, not because of him. He was absolutely horrific in that first SB appearance.

Eli is 2-0 and has looked great in both of his SBs, with two game winning drives right at the end in do or die situations and has 2 SB MVPs

CASE CLOSED!!!<font color="#FF0000">

that common sense stuff never works on these forums..</font>. [:|]

SweetZombieJesus
03-04-2012, 09:20 AM
He went out and completely dissed their franchise. I dont blame them for hating him.

Well I remember lots of talk of players not wanting to come and play in New York over the years... Talk like that made me want to know WHY and then hope they do something about it. Does that occur to San Diego?

rebelfan1966
03-06-2012, 02:35 PM
In the grand scheme of things.... I think Eli proved to have made a wise business decision. I don't harbor any anomosity twd the Chargers or Rivers.... but I am glad Eli is a Giant.

Sarcasman
03-11-2012, 01:46 AM
They can't see past their pride at what a bad organization they have, aided by those years of regular season success blinding them to the faults.

John Elway says, "hi"

swimeasy
03-11-2012, 11:05 AM

John Elway says, "hi"

And didn't Peyton Manning also repeat his senior year to avoid going to the Jets?

Archie lived what it was like to be a QB in a dysfunctional organization with the Saints. He knew first hand that his personal strong work ethic and loyalty would not be enough for team success and career satisfaction. What parent in his position would not assess and advise his sons accordingly, especially when his sons were well sought after and had some leverage.

eta:
Recent (2/27/12) article:
<h1 id="yui_3_4_1_1_1331476162360_332"><font size="1">Eli was Almost a Charger: Fanís Opinion (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ycn-11022956)</font></h1>

SweetZombieJesus
03-11-2012, 03:12 PM
Elway's different. He threatened to play baseball (for the Yankees) rather than play for the Colts. You can be drafted and refuse to show up for your team and be drafted again the next year, which is what Elway was threatening.

chasjay
03-12-2012, 12:06 AM
Elway's different. He threatened to play baseball (for the Yankees) rather than play for the Colts. You can be drafted and refuse to show up for your team and be drafted again the next year, which is what Elway was threatening.

I don't have a link, but Eli also stated that he would sit out and re-enter the draft the following year before he would sign with the Chargers. Of course, being traded was what he preferred and the Chargers wanted his trade value all along.

Well, I did find a link on Bleacher Report by a Ryan Phillips. His little article is just a tirade telling Archie Manning to shut up in the past, to shut up in the present and to shut up in the future. I clicked on this guy's bio and ,lo and behold, his favorite team is the Chargers.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1019995-why-archie-manning-should-shut-up-and-be-dad-not-spokesman-for-peyton-manning

u2good
03-12-2012, 12:37 AM
This may sound a little silly, but I think if we had kept Philip Rivers instead of Eli Manning, Rivers would have thrived here as well and we still could very well be here, winners of 2 SBs. The Gmens organization is top notch.

chasjay
03-12-2012, 08:23 AM
This may sound a little silly, but I think if we had kept Philip Rivers instead of Eli Manning, Rivers would have thrived here as well and we still could very well be here, winners of 2 SBs. The Gmens organization is top notch.

Not silly, but over-assuming. Rivers might have thrived here - not would have thrived here. The Giants do have a top-notch organization and have two SB's since the trade, with a legit shot at more. I don't see that there are any questions or maybe's left.

swimeasy
03-12-2012, 09:27 AM

I don't have a link, but Eli also stated that he would sit out and re-enter the draft the following year before he would sign with the Chargers. Of course, being traded was what he preferred and the Chargers wanted his trade value all along.

Well, I did find a link on Bleacher Report by a Ryan Phillips. His little article is just a tirade telling Archie Manning to shut up in the past, to shut up in the present and to shut up in the future. I clicked on this guy's bio and ,lo and behold, his favorite team is the Chargers.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1019995-why-archie-manning-should-shut-up-and-be-dad-not-spokesman-for-peyton-manning

Thanks chasjay. Not sure of the logistics, but didn't the Mannings privately inform the Chargers during dialogue before the selection and they picked him anyway thereby forcing the Mannings to go public and using the leverage they had?

I think you nailed it here: "being traded was what he preferred and the Chargers wanted his trade value all along".

chasjay
03-12-2012, 10:12 AM
Yes, the Mannings were intent on keeping everything private, but the Chargers' GM went public with it. Even though the Chargers wanted to trade Eli, Smith made Eli's position public to provide himself cover from the Charger fans. He was able to get the trade he wanted and, at the same time, protect himself from criticism from the Charger fans by saying he was forced to make the trade. He won both PR battles (Public Relations and Philip Rivers). I have no dislike at all for Rivers through all that, but I view A.J. Smith as a worm, pretty much.

Bashum_Blue
03-16-2012, 02:07 PM

Not silly, but over-assuming. Rivers might have thrived here - not would have thrived here. The Giants do have a top-notch organization and have two SB's since the trade, with a legit shot at more. I don't see that there are any questions or maybe's left.

Agreed. Something about River's shotput passing mechanics that just throws me off of him. That and his mouth.

Dabluguy
03-16-2012, 07:53 PM
You forgot to mention 1 small detail. Their only Pro level Championship at all. the 1963 AFL championship win is all that they have to brag about. That is it. No Baseball World Series titles. No NBA Championships. Too bad the Clippers left for LA. No NHL team ever has even looked at that city. In fact the only Championship that they can claim is the NASL indoor Championsip.* 1982, and 1984. I don't consider Indoor Soccer top level. Even thou it is a much more fun game to watch.

That looks like the Eagles case to.

BobbyD
03-16-2012, 08:30 PM

That looks like the Eagles case to.And the Texans :)

flamethrower
03-16-2012, 10:37 PM
You forgot to mention 1 small detail. Their only Pro level Championship at all. the 1963 AFL championship win is all that they have to brag about. That is it. No Baseball World Series titles. No NBA Championships. Too bad the Clippers left for LA. No NHL team ever has even looked at that city. In fact the only Championship that they can claim is the NASL indoor Championsip. 1982, and 1984. I don't consider Indoor Soccer top level. Even thou it is a much more fun game to watch.

That looks like the Eagles case to.And the Texans :)
Yep it looks like the Titans case also. Just as empty. Funny thing is I could care less. My biggest proud moment was Doing something. Not what a football team does. What that was doesn't matter here. Your best shot was that. Well I admit that Houston ain't got a Lombardi yet. But, Their future is bright. Tennessee's is just 2 seasons. 1960 AFL Championship, and 1961 AFL Championship. Nothing to brag about since. Both Philadelphia in 1960, and Green Bay in 61 would have whooped dat Arse.

Sarcasman
03-20-2012, 09:13 PM
Elway's different.* He threatened to play baseball (for the Yankees) rather than play for the Colts.* You can be drafted and refuse to show up for your team and be drafted again the next year, which is what Elway was threatening.

Not different at all.

All that said, the situation is neither unique nor all that controversial.