PDA

View Full Version : AGENT FOR GIANTS' DOMENIK HIXON "HOPING TO FINALIZE A DEAL VERY SOON"

RoanokeFan
02-28-2012, 11:28 AM
AGENT FOR GIANTS' DOMENIK HIXON "HOPING TO FINALIZE A DEAL VERY SOON" (http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/02/agent_for_giants_domenik_hixon.html)

"With Mario Manningham anywhere from 50 to 75 percent likely to leave the Giants (http://www.nj.com/giants) (more on that in a bit), word is
Domenik Hixon might be close to 100 percent to rejoin the team.<div class="entry-content">

Eric Metz, the agent for the six-year veteran wide receiver wrote in an email
Monday night he's "hoping to finalize a contract very soon" to return Hixon to
the team for whom he's played only two games in the past two seasons
combined.</p>

Metz added in a follow-up text message about the impending unrestricted free
agent: "We expect him to sign with the Giants."</p>

Hixon, 27, <a href="http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2010/06/domenik_hixon_out_for_2010_sea.html">tore
the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee during a minicamp practice</a>
in June 2010. He missed all of that season before returning for the start of
training camp last year. Hixon, who last February signed a one-year deal with a
$600,000 base salary and a $250,000 roster bonus, took it easy at times during
camp but was ready for the start of the regular season - so ready he caught a
22-yard touchdown pass late in the first half of the Week 2 victory over the
Rams.</p>

Only one problem: <a href="http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2011/09/giants_domenik_hixon_tears_his.html">he
tore his right ACL again on that play</a>.</p>

Hixon, who has the only kick- and punt-return touchdowns for the Giants in
the past six seasons, has been rehabbing once again and believes he'll be able
to make a full recovery once again.</p>

“Coming back from the previous injury — feeling faster, catching the ball
better, knowing the offense — I felt everything was falling in line,” <a href="http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/02/road_to_the_super_bowl_giants_1.html">Hixon
told The Star-Ledger late last month</a> from his hometown in Ohio. “I was
confident that I was back to 100 percent.”</p>

Hixon has tried to maintain a positive attitude, even though he realizes some
of the catches that went Victor Cruz's way could've landed in his hands if he'd
stayed healthy. This season, with the potential loss of Manningham, a healthy
Hixon would get the chance to grab some more passes.</p>

If and when Hixon signs, that will leave 20 Giants who are scheduled to be
unrestricted free agents on March 13.</p>

* * * *</p>

Speaking of percentages, allow me to clarify what I referenced above in
regard to Manningham, who was on WFAN's "Boomer and Carton" show this morning.
He was asked about his telling The Vindicator of Youngstown, Ohio, he was <a href="http://www.vindy.com/news/2012/feb/25/manningham-gets-key-to-city/?newswatch">"75
percent" sure he's leaving the Giants via free agency</a>.</p>

“I didn’t say that,” Manningham said during his appearance on WFAN. “You know
how rumors get spread and I didn’t say anything like that.”</p>

For the record, I've emailed Tom Williams of The Vindicator, who quoted
Manningham and wrote the story on the Warren, Ohio, native getting the keys to
his hometown. Perhaps this is another example of a guy talking to his local
paper and not thinking the quotes will make their way back to this area. (Hint:
They always do.)</p>

Anyway, Manningham gave a different set of odds this morning.</p>

“It’s 50-50,” he said. “We’re not sure what’s going on right now. We’re just
gonna take it slow and just see what’s going on. You know, let the smoke clear a
little bit.”</p>

Manningham also downplayed the rumors he'll soon follow new Bucs offensive
coordinator Mike Sullivan to Tampa Bay.</p>

Much as Manningham is trying to move the needle here, the bottom line is his
chances of coming back to the Giants continue to seem awfully slim. In fact,
when asked by Craig Carton this morning whether it's more likely he re-signs
with the Giants or Cruz gets an extension, he replied, "I'd probably go with
Vic."</p></div>

TuckYou
02-28-2012, 11:37 AM
Hixon is in the same boat as TT. Multiple serious injuries to the knee. I would like for both to sign cheap one year deals (like what Hixon signed last season)to prove they can stay healthy and are 100%. I like both for depth. Hixon could still be our returner since we havent figured that out yet. Or be out #3 and fight it out with Barden and Jernigan.

RoanokeFan
02-28-2012, 11:51 AM
Hixon is in the same boat as TT. Multiple serious injuries to the knee. I would like for both to sign cheap one year deals (like what Hixon signed last season)to prove they can stay healthy and are 100%. I like both for depth. Hixon could still be our returner since we havent figured that out yet. Or be out #3 and fight it out with Barden and Jernigan.

Hixon is very versatile and holds the record for most all purpose yards gained in a single game. His health is the only question. Based upon his agent's comment it seems he'll be signed.

GameTime
02-28-2012, 12:01 PM

Hixon is very versatile and holds the record for most all purpose yards gained in a single game. <FONT color=#000080 size=4>His health is the only question.</FONT> Based upon his agent's comment it seems he'll be signed.
</P>

thats big IF......</P>

he will get a low dollar contract laced with incentives on playing time or even making the roster. i wish him well. It only benefits the Giants if he does well. He's a good locker room guy and shows he wants it. His body just has to cooperate..</P>

</P>

</P>

RoanokeFan
02-28-2012, 12:20 PM

Hixon is very versatile and holds the record for most all purpose yards gained in a single game. <font color="#000080" size="4">His health is the only question.</font> Based upon his agent's comment it seems he'll be signed.
</p>

thats big IF......</p>

he will get a low dollar contract laced with incentives on playing time or even making the roster. i wish him well. It only benefits the Giants if he does well. He's a good locker room guy and shows he wants it. His body just has to cooperate..</p>

I like Hixon a lot and it is a big IF. But if they are negotiating, it has to mean the medical folks are on board with keeping him.
</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

GameTime
02-28-2012, 12:29 PM

Hixon is very versatile and holds the record for most all purpose yards gained in a single game. <FONT color=#000080 size=4>His health is the only question.</FONT> Based upon his agent's comment it seems he'll be signed.
</P>

thats big IF......</P>

he will get a low dollar contract laced with incentives on playing time or even making the roster. i wish him well. It only benefits the Giants if he does well. He's a good locker room guy and shows he wants it. His body just has to cooperate..</P>

I like Hixon a lot and it is a big IF. But if they are negotiating, it has to mean the medical folks are on board with keeping him.
</P>

</P>

good point Ro...</P>

just like they werent on board with SS.....</P>

nygsb42champs
02-28-2012, 01:37 PM
At the right price I would bring Hixon back. Hopefully he could bring life to our return game.

JJC7301
02-28-2012, 09:25 PM
I'd take another chance for a 1-year $600,000 deal. He may be done career wise, but if the doctors pass him then I'm down with it.

An extra receiver who knows the system, and a veteran quality returner (IF healthy).

I can't believe he's on 27!?! Seems like he's been around forever.

giantsfan420
02-28-2012, 09:45 PM
Hixon is in the same boat as TT. Multiple serious injuries to the knee. I would like for both to sign cheap one year deals (like what Hixon signed last season)*to prove they can stay healthy and are 100%. I like both for depth. Hixon could still be our returner since we havent figured that out yet. Or be out #3 and fight it out with Barden and Jernigan.

Hixon is very versatile and holds the record for most all purpose yards gained in a single game.* His health is the only question.* Based upon his agent's comment it seems he'll be signed.

If the giants are willing to sign hixon with his past injuries,it'd seem impossible for the giants to overlook smith bc of his injury. Id love it if both hixon and smith were signed, both should be very cheap which we need, plus both could be huge contributors to the offnese and st

JJC7301
02-28-2012, 10:03 PM
Hixon is in the same boat as TT. Multiple serious injuries to the knee. I would like for both to sign cheap one year deals (like what Hixon signed last season)*to prove they can stay healthy and are 100%. I like both for depth. Hixon could still be our returner since we havent figured that out yet. Or be out #3 and fight it out with Barden and Jernigan.

Hixon is very versatile and holds the record for most all purpose yards gained in a single game.* His health is the only question.* Based upon his agent's comment it seems he'll be signed.

If the giants are willing to sign hixon with his past injuries,it'd seem impossible for the giants to overlook smith bc of his injury. Id love it if both hixon and smith were signed, both should be very cheap which we need, plus both could be huge contributors to the offnese and st
+1. Plax would be cheap as well. Seriously. We've got two # 1 WR's and it would be nice to have inexpensive veteran WRs who know the Giants' system in the stables.

I would give JJ or Barden a fair chance to win the # 3 spot, but I'd love to have some veteran Giants receivers, just in case.

RoanokeFan
02-28-2012, 10:03 PM

Hixon is very versatile and holds the record for most all purpose yards gained in a single game. His health is the only question. Based upon his agent's comment it seems he'll be signed.

Hixon is currently on the team and they know what his medical status is. He's been rehabbing under their direction.

dave56dj
02-28-2012, 10:14 PM
Plax is NOT coming back - for this major reason - the giants dont really want him. Sorry his skills have deteriorated. He can still be a number 3 but we have much cheaper options on the team.

Yep plax was great in 07 but has had a history of off field issues starting in pitt - its no shock he was on a bad chemistry jet team last year (not saying it was him just not surprised he wasnt able to help). Oh and of course his 08 antics lead to our demise. Thanks but no thanks - if you wan an ex giant im ok with taking a look at Smith but not Plax

giantsfan420
02-28-2012, 11:56 PM

+1. Plax would be cheap as well. Seriously. We've got two # 1 WR's and it would be nice to have inexpensive veteran WRs who know the Giants' system in the stables.

I would give JJ or Barden a fair chance to win the # 3 spot, but I'd love to have some veteran Giants receivers, just in case.

+1. Id rather jj or barden be the guy to step up, but I know reese wont depend solely on them without a good backup plan. Ss is the best backup plan bc he could win the 3rd wr spot outright, and if jj or barden beats him out, ss knows and can play any of our wr roles. Even if we didn't lose mm id still want ss...reese signed stokely last season after there was virtually no decent choices, have to assume reese learned from that and will look at solutions to problems we may have opposed to trying to get a solution to a problem afger its already happened, it costs more with less options

JJC7301
02-29-2012, 12:13 AM
Plax is NOT coming back - for this major reason - the giants dont really want him. Sorry his skills have deteriorated. He can still be a number 3 but we have much cheaper options on the team.

Yep plax was great in 07 but has had a history of off field issues starting in pitt - its no shock he was on a bad chemistry jet team last year (not saying it was him just not surprised he wasnt able to help). Oh and of course his 08 antics lead to our demise. Thanks but no thanks - if you wan an ex giant im ok with taking a look at Smith but not Plax
That's why I prefer SS anyway, but I'd be willing to take Plax back for a 1-year contract.

Of course he's older than in '07, but his production in '11 wasn't bad for a guy who hasn't played in a few years and on a team that was so screwed up offensively, had infighting, and played with a 3rd year QB.

I believe that Plax would perform MUCH better with Eli and the Giants.

foosball
02-29-2012, 12:58 AM
He was a solid backup receiver and an excellent special teams player, but a player with that role doesn't come back after 2 ACL's. He may be capable, but he is no longer worth the risk.

Flip Empty
02-29-2012, 01:04 AM
God, stop bringing up Plax. He isn't needed, nor wanted. This isn't four years ago.

Also Eli being the oldest component of the pass attack works well.

miked1958
02-29-2012, 01:50 AM
I always liked Hixon. Felt he was the most explosive KO/PR the giants have had in over 50 years. As far as a WR I always felt he had the potential to be a good one due to his speed. However he has always had better WRs on the roster to compete with,which mostly kept him sidelined and the fact that they didn't want to risk their returner as a WR which is why he only saw limited duties as a receiver. Well that theory has not worked as his downside is he is very injury prone. Eagles use Djax as both top WR and returner. So maybe we should let Hixon play more a nd maybe he will stay healthier.

miked1958
02-29-2012, 01:51 AM
Agree that it would be a huge asset to sign both Hixon and T2 cheap.....

swimeasy
02-29-2012, 08:34 AM
Thanks Roanoke.

Liked Hixon a great deal. Still pulling for him. An All In team player. He has done everything the Giants have asked of him (unlike SS - significantly different circumstances so not sure a comparison can be made) and Giants do keep that in mind.

Kruunch
02-29-2012, 09:16 AM
I'd love to see Hixon back and love the fact that he's battling.

Just hope he can stay upright.

TroyArcher
02-29-2012, 07:38 PM
I'd like to give him a chance as he seems like a good guy and did have very good speed. It is a risk as he is so injury prone. You better have a solid backupo if you have Hixon as your 3rd receiver. Jernigan?

NYGRealityCheck
02-29-2012, 09:05 PM
Another Giants player that may be re-signed soon.

Steve Weatherford

http://www.kffl.com/wireless/nfl-wireless.php?view=770087&page=

miked1958
02-29-2012, 09:14 PM
Another Giants player that may be re-signed soon.

Steve Weatherford

http://www.kffl.com/wireless/nfl-wireless.php?view=770087&page=
They better resign Weatherford. He is a big reason we Did what we did