PDA

View Full Version : EXPECT GIANTS TO FILL THEIR TIGHT END NEED VIA FREE AGENCY

RoanokeFan
02-28-2012, 11:41 AM
EXPECT GIANTS TO FILL THEIR TIGHT END NEED VIA FREE AGENCY (http://www.giants101.com/2012/02/28/expect-new-york-giants-to-fill-their-tight-end-need-via-free-agency/)

"New York (http://www.giants101.com/tag/new-york/)
Giants head coach <a class="st_tag internal_tag" title="Posts tagged with Tom Coughlin" href="http://www.giants101.com/tag/tom-coughlin/" rel="tag nofollow">Tom
Coughlin</a> may have tipped his cap a bit in terms of the team's free agent
priorities this past weekend at the scouting combine. It is no secret that the
team needs to add a tight end, but Coughlin made no bones about the fact that
the team must add another tight end.

Last year at the combine, Coughlin was asked what the teams biggest need was
and he answered "center." Of course, the day free agency opened the team signed
free agent David Baas from the San Francisco 49ers to a five-year deal.

Now, in order for Jerry Reese to maintain his value-heavy strategy, it is
critical to fill certain needs via free agency. Expect the Giants to be in the
mix for some free agent tight ends come March.</p>

There are several solid options set to hit the open market.</p>

1. MartellusBennett, <a class="st_tag internal_tag" title="Posts tagged with Dallas Cowboys" href="http://www.giants101.com/tag/dallas-cowboys/" rel="tag nofollow">Dallas
Cowboys</a> – The 6'6", 270 pound Bennett was someone
that <a class="st_tag internal_tag" title="Posts tagged with Dallas Cowboys" href="http://www.giants101.com/tag/dallas-cowboys/" rel="tag nofollow">Dallas
Cowboys</a> owner Jerry Jones once refused to trade to the Cincinnati Bengals
for what was rumored to be a "significant" deal. He was that highly valued in
the Cowboys organization. Now, he has fallen out of favor a bit. More of a
blocker as it is, Bennett has caught only 85 passes for 846 yards in his entire
career with the Cowboys and only 17 for 144 in 2011.</p>

Third year player John Phillips out of Virginia has gained favor within the
organization as the second man behind all-pro Jason Witten.</p>

The Giants do not ask much of their tight ends in terms of receiving, as none
have gone over 60 catches since Jeremy Shockey. With Bennett's frame, he could
be a potentially good fit for a team looking to improve run blocking and who
also has a banged up tight end group.</p>

2. <a class="st_tag internal_tag" title="Posts tagged with John Carlson" href="http://www.giants101.com/tag/john-carlson/" rel="tag nofollow">John
Carlson</a>, <a class="st_tag internal_tag" title="Posts tagged with Seattle Seahawks" href="http://www.giants101.com/tag/seattle-seahawks/" rel="tag nofollow">Seattle
Seahawks</a> – The former Notre Dame tight end got off to a great
start to his career in Seattle before injuries de-railed him. He is more of a
receiving tight end (listed at "only" 251).</p>

Carlson has recorded 137 receptions for 1,519 yards and 13 touchdowns in four
years in Seattle and is now the second man behind <a class="st_tag internal_tag" title="Posts tagged with Zach Miller" href="http://www.giants101.com/tag/zach-miller/" rel="tag nofollow">Zach
Miller</a>.</p>

With the contrasting styles of the two, it could speak to where the team
believes the offense is going from here on out. <a class="st_tag internal_tag" title="Posts tagged with Mario Manningham" href="http://www.giants101.com/tag/mario-manningham/" rel="tag nofollow">Mario
Manningham</a> will leave the offense bereft of a significant 3rd receiving
option, a role Carlson could help fill, but with their 32ndranked running game,
the Giants couldstand to upgrade the blocking out of the tight end position
(which could be a reflection on <a class="st_tag internal_tag" title="Posts tagged with Bear Pascoe" href="http://www.giants101.com/tag/bear-pascoe/" rel="tag nofollow">Bear
Pascoe</a> as well).</p>

For my money, Bennett would be the guy right now.</p>

C1010
02-28-2012, 11:46 AM
Of those two, I like Bennett.

Kruunch
02-28-2012, 11:46 AM
I don't buy it. If the Giants go FA with their Tight End needs, I don't see us grabbing a TE who can't catch (ala Bennet).

We already have a blocking TE in Pascoe .. I would think if we went FA we'd go get someone like Scott Chandler from the Bills. Not too expensive, a good blocker and a seam/fade threat. Definite end zone presence.

pino
02-28-2012, 12:01 PM
I can see them signing someone via FA, but more likely someone obscure who will sign at a bargain and compete for the job. Or they will wait until someone is cut.

We needed a TE last year, and we saw how they approached that.

GameTime
02-28-2012, 12:06 PM
I said this in another thread that I feel the Giants will go later rounds or low expense FA for TE. I like Pascoe to fill Ballard's spot till he can return. My theory is now that Bear doesn't haveto split his practice time with FB duties he will be free to fully participate with Mike Pope and the offesnse as a TE only and that will benefit he and the Giants. I also like Christian Hopkins. I will mention him in every thread I see about TE's....:)</P>

</P>

Pakman
02-28-2012, 12:14 PM
I said this in another thread that I feel the Giants will go later rounds or low expense FA for TE. I like Pascoe to fill Ballard's spot till he can return. My theory is now that Bear doesn't have*to split his practice time with FB duties he will be free to fully participate with Mike Pope and the offesnse as a TE only and that will benefit he and the Giants. *I also like Christian Hopkins. I will mention him in every thread I see about TE's....:)</P>

*</P>

Someone did that with Jake last year and he turned out well

RoanokeFan
02-28-2012, 12:17 PM
I don't buy it. If the Giants go FA with their Tight End needs, I don't see us grabbing a TE who can't catch (ala Bennet).

We already have a blocking TE in Pascoe .. I would think if we went FA we'd go get someone like Scott Chandler from the Bills. Not too expensive, a good blocker and a seam/fade threat. Definite end zone presence.

Remember two things. Here, a tight end is a lineman FIRST. We have two tight ends that they like who will likely start the season on PUP and, at least in Ballard's case, could be the future TE.

Pascoe is not a slouch, but he is slow lol

Tommy_Ribs
02-28-2012, 12:30 PM
A Big, and I mean a Big no Thank You to Martellus Bennett.

I would take Carlson way before Bennett.

I heard Ben Patrick may also be an option as well :-)

GameTime
02-28-2012, 12:31 PM
I don't buy it. If the Giants go FA with their Tight End needs, I don't see us grabbing a TE who can't catch (ala Bennet). We already have a blocking TE in Pascoe .. I would think if we went FA we'd go get someone like Scott Chandler from the Bills. Not too expensive, a good blocker and a seam/fade threat. Definite end zone presence.

Remember two things. Here, a tight end is a lineman FIRST. We have two tight ends that they like who will likely start the season on PUP and, at least in Ballard's case, could be the future TE.

Pascoe is not a slouch, but he is slow lol
</P>

he andBallard are on the same track speed wise. Pascoe did hurdle Newman though....but then again...who didnt...lol</P>

RoanokeFan
02-28-2012, 12:31 PM

LMAO on Patrick. His ink wasn't dry on his last contract before he "retired"

nygsb42champs
02-28-2012, 01:33 PM
Out of those 2 I would take Bennett. Maybe a change of scenary would bring out his potential.

Kruunch
02-28-2012, 02:43 PM

Remember two things.* Here, a tight end is a lineman FIRST.* We have two tight ends that they like who will likely start the season on PUP and, at least in Ballard's case, could be the future TE.

Pascoe is not a slouch, but he is slow* lol

Except one of the TEs you just mentioned is not a blocking TE (Beckum).

The Giants (for years) have wanted to have a play making tight end and especially since the departure of Shockey. Since we had Boss and then the suprise with Ballard, the *need* wasn't as severe so always took a back seat to more pressing needs.

However in 2009 we drafted Beckum in the 3rd round; a TE with no blocking utility at all who was all slot and seam. Now Beckum hasn't particularly worked out, but I don't think that has sated the Giants' desire for a play making TE. Since we physically need a TE and we already have a solid blocking TE (Pascoe) AND since our first pick in the draft will probably fall in an area where the BPA is a Tight End ... seems almost like a no brainer.

Having said that, this draft in general is horrible for TEs, so if we don't grab one in the 1st, we'd have a value pick in the 4th or 5th rounds at that position (or FA if we go that route).

But I'd be willing to bet that no matter which way we go, the TE we grab to compliment Pascoe will be a pass catcher.

Kruunch
02-28-2012, 02:45 PM

+1

dave56dj
02-28-2012, 04:11 PM
Before everyone goes silly with the Christian Hopkins talk lets remember he is on the PS for a reason. Yes guys do come off that sqaud and play roles on the team - some even large roles - but those are usually the exceptions not the rules.

Jake Ballard actually put up better number in less games over a one year span then boss ever did in his career. But he will be on the pup most likely.

Pascoe is definitely more of a blcoking TE but by no means is he a standout blocker - he does the job but an adequate one at that.

Any way in which you can help Eli with a new target and have guy to help seal off the edge would be nice - I like the idea of chandler as a underrated pass recieving TE - and I still think bennett has potential. Te is limited in the draft but at 32 YOU COULD get the best of the draft and you only need one. By one i simply mean i dont care if its a bad TE draft if we get the next Gonzalez it wont matter.

Zoboomafoo
02-28-2012, 04:15 PM
Before everyone goes silly with the Christian Hopkins talk lets remember he is on the PS for a reason. Yes guys do come off that sqaud and play roles on the team - some even large roles - but those are usually the exceptions not the rules.
I can think of a couple of exceptions off the top of my head, 1) Pascoe, and 2) Ballard.

NYGRealityCheck
02-28-2012, 06:31 PM
Here's the list of FA tight ends.

http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/tight-end/

Pascoe still needs to be re-signed.

Best of luck to Reese if he plans to go that way.

scoopscj
02-28-2012, 06:39 PM
I find myself visiting the Giant's boards, reading about this and that, commenting here and there, but in the end, I'm so giddy and dumbfounded by a second SB win in 4 years I don't have a bad thing to day about anything. Free Agency TE? Draft? Whatever. This team and staff is beyond question by the likes of me.

Scoops

NYGRealityCheck
02-28-2012, 06:41 PM
I find myself visiting the Giant's boards, reading about this and that, commenting here and there, but in the end, I'm so giddy and dumbfounded by a second SB win in 4 years I don't have a bad thing to day about anything.* Free Agency TE? Draft? Whatever.* This team and staff is beyond question by the likes of me.

Scoops

2 SBs in 4 years will do that people. Just ask the people that were there for the 1986 and 1990 seasons...

GameTime
02-28-2012, 06:42 PM
Before everyone goes silly with the Christian Hopkins talk lets remember he is on the PS for a reason. Yes guys do come off that sqaud and play roles on the team - some even large roles - but those are usually the exceptions not the rules. Jake Ballard actually put up better number in less games over a one year span then boss ever did in his career. But he will be on the pup most likely. Pascoe is definitely more of a blcoking TE but by no means is he a standout blocker - he does the job but an adequate one at that. Any way in which you can help Eli with a new target and have guy to help seal off the edge would be nice - I like the idea of chandler as a underrated pass recieving TE - and I still think bennett has potential. Te is limited in the draft but at 32 YOU COULD get the best of the draft and you only need one. By one i simply mean i dont care if its a bad TE draft if we get the next Gonzalez it wont matter.</P>

Pascoe will be a better TE next season because he will not have to use precious practice time at FB and he will be expected to step up so Pope will have him ready. He is a more than an adequate blocker IMO. Christain Hopkins had no where to go with the Ballard, Pascoe, and Beckum in the line up. I like the kid, what has been said about him, and his size is very big. I think he steps up and gets his name known. I also think Beckum gets and injury settlement. </P>

hungrrrry
02-28-2012, 06:46 PM
Of those two, I like Bennett.
I agree...I mentioned Bennett early in the off-season and with him and Ballard (when he returned) we would have a great TE tandem...that would mean Pascoe and Beckum are out.

dave56dj
02-28-2012, 09:04 PM
Yes, as i said you can name exceptions off the practice squad - guys who contributed. But go ahead and look at the lists of players on practice squads and you will see the MAJORITY - not all - but the MAJORITY - dont end up doing much.

As for pascoe now being able to concentrate at TE and not FB - true but this aint his first rodeo. Pascoe has played TE his whole NFL career - other then the brief stint at FB so lets not jump ahead and think he will be improving all that much.

Now as for Hopkins having to leap in front of Beckum/ Pascoe and Ballard - seriously? thats not exactly a scary threesome? In fact most people would have called that scary bad. Ballard suprised - but dont think hopkins was in the shadow of great stars.

JJC7301
02-28-2012, 09:16 PM
I said this in another thread that I feel the Giants will go later rounds or low expense FA for TE. I like Pascoe to fill Ballard's spot till he can return. My theory is now that Bear doesn't have*to split his practice time with FB duties he will be free to fully participate with Mike Pope and the offesnse as a TE only and that will benefit he and the Giants. *I also like Christian Hopkins. I will mention him in every thread I see about TE's....:)</P>

*</P>
+1. Hold the fort until Ballard can hopefully return. I'd be willing to bring in an inexpensive veteran FA to help. I wonder what Shancoe's value is right now?

B-Red22
02-28-2012, 09:23 PM
Before everyone goes silly with the Christian Hopkins talk lets remember he is on the PS for a reason. Yes guys do come off that sqaud and play roles on the team - some even large roles - but those are usually the exceptions not the rules. Jake Ballard actually put up better number in less games over a one year span then boss ever did in his career. But he will be on the pup most likely. Pascoe is definitely more of a blcoking TE but by no means is he a standout blocker - he does the job but an adequate one at that. Any way in which you can help Eli with a new target and have guy to help seal off the edge would be nice - I like the idea of chandler as a underrated pass recieving TE - and I still think bennett has potential. Te is limited in the draft but at 32 YOU COULD get the best of the draft and you only need one. By one i simply mean i dont care if its a bad TE draft if we get the next Gonzalez it wont matter.</P>

Wasn't Ballard on the practice squad last year?</P>

NYGRealityCheck
02-28-2012, 10:03 PM

LMAO on Patrick.* His ink wasn't dry on his last contract before he "retired"

He may deserve a second shot. He may not a bad person after all...

http://www.foxsportsarizona.com/02/28/12/Ex-Cardinal-Patrick-rescues-victims-from/msn_landing.html?blockID=676270&feedID=3698

RoanokeFan
02-28-2012, 10:06 PM

LMAO on Patrick. His ink wasn't dry on his last contract before he "retired"

http://www.foxsportsarizona.com/02/28/12/Ex-Cardinal-Patrick-rescues-victims-from/msn_landing.html?blockID=676270&amp;feedID=3698

I'm laughing becasue he didn't want the first shot

GameTime
02-28-2012, 10:14 PM
Yes, as i said you can name exceptions off the practice squad - guys who contributed. But go ahead and look at the lists of players on practice squads and you will see the MAJORITY - not all - but the MAJORITY - dont end up doing much. As for pascoe now being able to concentrate at TE and not FB - true but this aint his first rodeo. Pascoe has played TE his whole NFL career - other then the brief stint at FB so lets not jump ahead and think he will be improving all that much. Now as for Hopkins having to leap in front of Beckum/ Pascoe and Ballard - seriously? thats not exactly a scary threesome? In fact most people would have called that scary bad. Ballard suprised - but dont think hopkins was in the shadow of great stars.</P>

I am not naive to what PS members are and what their NFL contributions are. Pascoe has been in the NFL for only 3 years and he has played FB 1 full season and part time in his other two. So I wouldn't call that a "brief stint" in regards to his career so far. So I stick to my opinion that this will be the FIRST year that Bear will not have to share his practice time as a FB. It will make a difference. I didnt say Hopkins would "leap" in front of the current corp. Ballard and Beckum will start most likely start the next season on the PUP so what I was elluding to was that IMO he will be able to fill the gap and may surprise some along the way. I also realize that what the Giants have now is not a top flight TE group. But they are what they are and they were effective.</P>

NYGRealityCheck
02-28-2012, 10:18 PM

LMAO on Patrick.* His ink wasn't dry on his last contract before he "retired"

http://www.foxsportsarizona.com/02/28/12/Ex-Cardinal-Patrick-rescues-victims-from/msn_landing.html?blockID=676270&feedID=3698

I'm laughing becasue he didn't want the first shot

I definitely agree 100% with your sentiment considering how soon he retired after he signed his contract. He may have had a reason, who knows?

From that article.
"After a brief retirement last season to get “some family issues in order,” he is hoping to latch on with another team this fall."

Whether that's a legit reason or not, none of my business.

dave56dj
02-28-2012, 10:21 PM
Yep they did the job and for the last TIME - not you gametime - YES BALLARD WAS ON PS - and so was pascoe and many other players who have worked out - but dear god that does not mean most practice squaders work out - in fact just the opposite - MOST never make it anywhere.

And gametime - this group is razor thin with ballard and beckum hurt and no way hopkins and pascoe is enough - a vet or draftee has to be brought in for sure.

personall i like ballard a lot - again in his first year (not on ps) he had better stats then boss ever did in one year. i'd say he more then anyone would improve - not pascoe.

GameTime
02-28-2012, 10:44 PM
Yep they did the job and for the last TIME - not you gametime - YES BALLARD WAS ON PS - and so was pascoe and many other players who have worked out - but dear god that does not mean most practice squaders work out - in fact just the opposite - MOST never make it anywhere. And gametime - this group is razor thin with ballard and beckum hurt and no way hopkins and pascoe is enough - a vet or draftee has to be brought in for sure. personall i like ballard a lot - again in his first year (not on ps) he had better stats then boss ever did in one year. i'd say he more then anyone would improve - not pascoe.</P>

The first page of this thread I did say that Giants will or should get a FA TE or a lower round TE. I realize they need more. My responses to you were specifically about what they have now....</P>

</P>

BlueJayC
02-29-2012, 10:16 AM
LAZIEST WASTES OF TALENT IN THE NFL:</P>

1. Albert Haynesworth</P>

2. Martellus Bennett</P>

Bennett has a terrible work ethic and his complete laziness was evident everytime he played the Giants. I don't care who is coaching him scratch thisscrub off the list.....Pascoe though he has less natural skill is a harderworker and better producer.</P>

WR4Life
02-29-2012, 10:19 AM
Unless I missed it, I didn't see anyone mention Joel Dreesen. He could be serviceable. Opinions?

Kruunch
02-29-2012, 10:43 AM
With the Combine drawing to a close the TEs in general went down a peg in most people's estimations (and this was a poor draft for TEs to begin with).

So they may very well end up going FA on a small signing for a TE.

What I believe will happen, barring Coby Fleener killing at his Pro Day (he didn't run in the Combine) is that the Giants wait until the 3rd round and grab either Michael Egenew or Ladarius Green (both of whom were the rare TE in the Combine that actually improved their stock). Both are pass catching, tall TEs that have decent servicability in the blocking scheme (Green moreso then Egenew there).

I think we still look at another TE in FA on top of that (small signing).