PDA

View Full Version : Giants logo - for a conservative team, plenty of change

BigAzzuro
02-28-2012, 04:47 PM
For a team that's traditional and conservative, the Giants have had more changes to their logo than one would expect relative to the rest of the NFL.

The Cowboys, the all-hype, flashy organization, however, have had just one minor change to the logo.

Interesting.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/421144_10150567174081006_7331091005_9275793_103838 6612_n.jpg

jhamburg
02-28-2012, 04:52 PM
I don't understand why some of them are football helmets. Are they implying that their football helmets had little football helmets on them?

THE_New_York_Giants
02-28-2012, 04:56 PM
I don't understand why some of them are football helmets. Are they implying that their football helmets had little football helmets on them?
the logo was their helmet. the logo is what the helmet looked like. Like the Browns today.

Also, the cowboys had one logo in their beginning that was hideous.

SweetZombieJesus
02-29-2012, 05:29 AM
No logo appeared on their helmets until the old "ny" (I think in 1961?). The Giant QB behind the skyline was introduced in the 50s but never used on the unis, and I think they tweaked it when they moved from the Polo Grounds to Yankee Stadium.

The capital disco NY came when they were homeless (some funky overdesign of the unis IMO, added white stripes next to the red, etc.). NJ wouldn't allow any form of "NY" in the Meadowlands so they were forced into the <u>Giants</u> script.

When they did the throwbacks in 1994 NJSEA eased up and allowed it on the unis but not on the field.

Over time with Wellington's influence they eventually relented on that too but I believe it could be in the end zones but not midfield.

So glad it's over, I think the current unis are the right ones and should stay timeless.

swimeasy
02-29-2012, 07:53 AM
No logo appeared on their helmets until the old "ny" (I think in 1961?). The Giant QB behind the skyline was introduced in the 50s but never used on the unis, and I think they tweaked it when they moved from the Polo Grounds to Yankee Stadium.

The capital disco NY came when they were homeless (some funky overdesign of the unis IMO, added white stripes next to the red, etc.). NJ wouldn't allow any form of "NY" in the Meadowlands so they were forced into the <u>Giants</u> script.

When they did the throwbacks in 1994 NJSEA eased up and allowed it on the unis but not on the field.

Over time with Wellington's influence they eventually relented on that too but I believe it could be in the end zones but not midfield.

So glad it's over, I think the current unis are the right ones and should stay timeless.

Agree SweetZombie as you stated. I also like the current design and hope it remains.

As many already know, the Giants are the only team today that was one of the original teams that started the NFL in 1925, so on longevity alone, I would expect more changes . The Cowboys are a much younger team, starting in 1960 and while they changed cities were not subjected to different state regs.

nygsb42champs
02-29-2012, 07:56 AM
Lets hope they stick with the NY. It is a good classic look.

GameTime
02-29-2012, 08:23 AM
Lets hope they stick with the NY. It is a good classic look.</P>

I agree....I am not a fan of the this modern crap that Nike has prototyped. Or at least what has been shown. At then end of the day it doesnt matter what the unis look like it matters if the team wins and unis will not help that in the least. </P>

</P>

IamGiantsfan
02-29-2012, 08:34 AM

I agree....I am not a fan of the this modern crap that Nike has prototyped. Or at least what has been shown. At then end of the day it doesnt matter what the unis look like it matters if the team wins and unis will not help that in the least. </P>

*</P>
Does anyone still think that stuff was real it was clearly fan made

GameTime
02-29-2012, 08:56 AM

</P>

Does anyone still think that stuff was real it was clearly fan made</P>

yeah...IDK. Thats why I stated it like that. Either way whether fan made or a Nike protothey sucked IMO overall. </P>

GmenFan1980
02-29-2012, 09:03 AM
I just laughed a little seeing the cardinals original logo is now basically Da Bears current logo

The more you know

Kruunch
02-29-2012, 09:15 AM
I REALLY miss the Giants logo from the 80s.

Flip Empty
02-29-2012, 09:18 AM

I agree....I am not a fan of the this modern crap that Nike has prototyped. Or at least what has been shown.</P>

</P>
Seeing as the Giants have the final say on uniform and logo design, you don't have to worry about Nike reinventing the wheel with them.
Other than the addition of the Nike tick, I don't think there'll be much difference at all.

YATittle1962
02-29-2012, 10:40 AM
No logo appeared on their helmets until the old "ny" (I think in 1961?).* The Giant QB behind the skyline was introduced in the 50s but never used on the unis, and I think they tweaked it when they moved from the Polo Grounds to Yankee Stadium.

The capital disco NY came when they were homeless (some funky overdesign of the unis IMO, added white stripes next to the red, etc.).* NJ wouldn't allow any form of "NY" in the Meadowlands so they were forced into the <u>Giants</u> script.

^this

and they should never change a thing about what they have now

no corny GIANTS written across the helmet...hated when they did that and couldnt wait to see it go

no numbers outlined in blue that makes them look as outdated as a pair of purple cross colors overalls with one strap down and a flat top fade

no blue pants ...ugh...hated that as well

just leave the classic alone

it came back to its roots for a reason

Kruunch
02-29-2012, 10:45 AM
No logo appeared on their helmets until the old "ny" (I think in 1961?).* The Giant QB behind the skyline was introduced in the 50s but never used on the unis, and I think they tweaked it when they moved from the Polo Grounds to Yankee Stadium.

The capital disco NY came when they were homeless (some funky overdesign of the unis IMO, added white stripes next to the red, etc.).* NJ wouldn't allow any form of "NY" in the Meadowlands so they were forced into the <u>Giants</u> script.

^this

no corny GIANTS written across the helmet...hated when they did that and couldnt wait to see it go

no numbers outlined in blue that makes them look as outdated as a pair of purple cross colors overalls with one strap down and a flat top fade

Communist.

NYG 5
02-29-2012, 11:28 AM
at least put GIANTS on the chest again. having ny on the helmet and jersey is redundant

egyptian420
02-29-2012, 11:43 AM

^this

I was way too young during the GIANTS helmet days, but I actually think they looked pretty cool. I love the ones we have now too though.

JimC
02-29-2012, 11:56 AM
Uhhhhh the Giants have been around 35 YEARS longer than the Cowboys. Do you think that may have something to do with the number of changes the Giants have had vs. the Cowboys?

Flip Empty
02-29-2012, 11:58 AM
I think simple works best when it comes to logos - the ny is great.

jax5338
02-29-2012, 02:18 PM
the "ny" logo is great; the GIANTS one is weak.

still think our road uni's are ugly no matter how successful theyve been in them.

and O.T. the bears logo is lame. it's a ripoff of other logos and with a cool name like the bears maybe they sould have stuck with actually having a bear incorporated in the main logo.

FIFTY6G-MAN
02-29-2012, 04:46 PM
I loved the "Giants" on the helmet along with white facemask and white pants. Looked more intimidating than what we have now.

Dirt66
02-29-2012, 07:03 PM
Couldn't agree with you more...those were awesome!! Don't forget the white cleats as well.

tonyt830
02-29-2012, 09:03 PM
I'm good with the NY logo on the helmet, but would not mind the Giants going back to the blue numbers on their road unis.

YATittle1962
02-29-2012, 10:10 PM

^this

Communist.

:)

Axels15
02-29-2012, 10:32 PM
i like current the best

Toadofsteel
03-01-2012, 01:47 AM
I'm good with the NY logo on the helmet, but would not mind the Giants going back to the blue numbers on their road unis.*

Do YOU want to see the giants looking like the cowgirls?

Although I think it would be funny if they made that switch and then wore away unis whenever the cowboys came to town... the cowboys would have to wear that dark navy blue travesty while the giants kick the cowgirls butts in their own unis...

GMen869007
03-01-2012, 02:47 AM
The only change I would like to see is white pants for the home uniforms. I like the road uniforms as they are.

tonyt830
03-01-2012, 07:05 AM
I'm good with the NY logo on the helmet, but would not mind the Giants going back to the blue numbers on their road unis.*

Do YOU want to see the giants looking like the cowgirls?

Although I think it would be funny if they made that switch and then wore away unis whenever the cowboys came to town... the cowboys would have to wear that dark navy blue travesty while the giants kick the cowgirls butts in their own unis...I'm not saying I want them to look like the Cowboy uniforms, I'm talking about the away jerseys the Giants wore during the 80's and 90's

The current away jersey may have a tad too much red for some peoples taste.

As for the Cowboys unis---the Giants away uni never looked like the Cowboys white jersey.

But hey I'm pretty much ok with the current road unis, just as long as we don't see those red alternates ever again---LOL!!!

FIFTY6G-MAN
03-01-2012, 06:58 PM
Couldn't agree with you more...those were awesome!! Don't forget the white cleats as well.You are right. Our Giants looked badass and with white cleats they looked even faster sacking QB's!!!