PDA

View Full Version : Per Walter's football mock.......

tonyt830
02-29-2012, 06:24 AM
They have our Giants taking

Rd 1 David Wilson, RB, Va Tech

Rd 2 Jayron Hosley, CB, Va Tech

Rd 3 Brandon Brooks, G Miami, OH

Rd 4 Jarius Wright, WR, Arkansas

http://walterfootball.com/draft2012_1.php

I don't know much about that Brandon Brooks, but I wouldn't be too upset with those picks.

Redeyejedi
02-29-2012, 07:57 AM

I don't know much about that Brandon Brooks, but I wouldn't be too upset with those picks.Im the Giants GM for a 7 Round expert mock on Friday. The only value I like there is Jarius Wright.

These r some guys who I think are more likely
in the first
Stephen Gilmore CB South Carolina
Mark Barron S Alabama
Rueben Randle WR LSU
Kendall Reyes DT Uconn
Coby Fleener TE Stanford

Going off there draft board i would of selected

1. Stephen Gilmore CB South Carolina
2. Amini Silatolu, G, Midwestern State
3. Matt Mccants OT UAB or George illoka S Boise State
4. Jarius Wright WR Ark -im fine with

If Im faced with that board I will try to move down some. I see Tannehill still on the board I can probably shop the pick and move down to 40 or so.
Before I pick on Friday I will show U guys the board and see if u want to throw up some suggestions

Kruunch
02-29-2012, 08:00 AM

I don't know much about that Brandon Brooks, but I wouldn't be too upset with those picks.Im the Giants GM for a 7 Round expert mock on Friday. The only value I like there is Jarius Wright.

+1

buddy33
02-29-2012, 08:21 AM
Didn't Mayock say there was only 1 RB that would be take in the 1st? Did something change at the combine?

Kruunch
02-29-2012, 08:23 AM
Didn't Mayock say there was only 1 RB that would be take in the 1st? Did something change at the combine?

Yeah Trent Richardson is the only RB that has a first round grade right now.

Wilson is rated around pick #40 so if we were going to reach for a RB then it would have to be with our first (and not really a reach). I just don't see the Giants going that high for a RB that isn't a slam dunk (in their minds).

Wilson is a one dimensional back ... good north-south runner, but not much of a blocker and doesn't catch out of the backfield.

Redeyejedi
02-29-2012, 08:25 AM
Didn't Mayock say there was only 1 RB that would be take in the 1st? Did something change at the combine? Well it is pick 32 but I like Miller and Martin better anyway. Im not taking a RB in the expert mock unless Im moving down.

buddy33
02-29-2012, 08:46 AM
What about the Safety from Alabama? Couldn't watch any combine yesterday and didn't have time to read up on the event yesterday. Wasn't there mention that he could slip to a late 1st round pick?

Raptor22
02-29-2012, 08:57 AM
In other news, Sideline Scouting has their 7-round mock up:
1) Zach Brown (OLB, UNC)
2) Joe Adams (WR, Arkansas)
3) Mychal Kendricks (MLB, California)
4) Taureen Poole (RB, Tennessee)
5) James Brown (OG, Troy)
6) Marcel Jones (RT- Nebraska)

My thoughts: Solid draft. I wouldn't mind that in the least. It adds a TON of speed to the LB corp, particularly with JWIll and Boley already there. Likewise, I really like Brown and Jones in the 5th and 6th. Mayock has Brown as a possible second rounder, so that is definitely a Reese pick (smaller school, overlooked, but solid O-lineman, with LONG arms, at tremendous value).

I'm not crazy about the Adams and Poole picks. IMO, Adams is too small/slight to be a Giants draft pick, particularly a high pick when George Iloka and Chandler Jones are still on the board. Poole is a decent back, but just a bit too vanilla for me to get overly excited about.

And Marcel is worth getting simply because he reminds me of Julius from Pulp Fiction.

Kruunch
02-29-2012, 09:20 AM
What about the Safety from Alabama? Couldn't watch any combine yesterday and didn't have time to read up on the event yesterday. Wasn't there mention that he could slip to a late 1st round pick?

Mark Barron has dipped and he could very well be there when we pick at #32. Primary reason he's dropping is durability concerns.

So has Mike Adams (OT) (mediocre Combine performance).

Both were highly coveted a week ago (at least by us).

Since the TEs overall have slipped it will be interesting to see which way the Giants go in the first.

If Coby Fleener kills his Pro Day, he might still be a top pick for our first. He did the bench at the combine (pronged ankle stopped him from doing other drills) and tied for first among TEs with Dwayne Allen (bolstering the question of whether he was strong enough to play at the next level).

critters
02-29-2012, 09:52 AM

If Mark Barron is still available it should be a no brainer. I personally don't think he has durability issues since he's had 38 career starts... in the SEC... and led Alabama in tackling in 2010. I just don't see any way he drops to us. His body of work is just too impressive.

tonyt830
02-29-2012, 10:23 AM

These r some guys who I think are more likely
in the first
Stephen Gilmore CB South Carolina
Mark Barron S Alabama
Rueben Randle WR LSU
Kendall Reyes DT Uconn
Coby Fleener TE Stanford

Going off there draft board i would of selected

1. Stephen Gilmore CB South Carolina
2. Amini Silatolu, G, Midwestern State
3. Matt Mccants OT UAB or George illoka S Boise State
4. Jarius Wright WR Ark -im fine with

If Im faced with that board I will try to move down some. I see Tannehill still on the board I can probably shop the pick and move down to 40 or so.
Before I pick on Friday I will show U guys the board and see if u want to throw up some suggestionsYeah keep us posted redeye!

I like Gilmore, Reyes and Fleener as well. I would not be surprised if the Giants took a DE or DT at 32 if they are the BPA at that pick.

BlueSanta
02-29-2012, 11:10 AM
If Coby Fleener kills his Pro Day, he might still be a top pick for our first. He did the bench at the combine (pronged ankle stopped him from doing other drills) and tied for first among TEs with Dwayne Allen (bolstering the question of whether he was strong enough to play at the next level).

Actuallly, he tied for 2nd with Allen behind Charles. But, it was still good strength. However, the question about Fleener has always surrounded his lower body strength, not upper body. If you watch clips of him blocking he engages but cant sustain blocks, which is all about your base.

BlueSanta
02-29-2012, 11:15 AM

I don't know much about that Brandon Brooks, but I wouldn't be too upset with those picks.

Watching the combine, I was intereted in the comments made by Lombardi. He was talking about Al Davis, and how certain teams always draft a certain way. 1st out of his mouth was "when I think about the Giants draft I think Size-Speed. "

I do not think this mock follows that model.

Kruunch
02-29-2012, 11:19 AM

Actuallly, he tied for 2nd with Allen behind Charles. But, it was still good strength.* However, the question about Fleener has always surrounded his lower body strength, not upper body. If you watch clips of him blocking he engages but cant sustain blocks, which is all about your base.

Oops yeah you're right. But the bench showed upside for Fleener (strength was a question mark going in).

I agree he needs some weight ... but his frame certainly can accomodate it so I don't see that as a stumbling block.

But if he doesn't raise eyebrows at his Pro Day, the Giants may pass on him in the first.

G-Men Surg.
02-29-2012, 11:41 AM
A RB in the 1st round even at 32 ?
Not happening !!!!!!

Kruunch
02-29-2012, 11:43 AM
Not happening !!!!!!

Especially David Wilson.

G-Men Surg.
02-29-2012, 12:07 PM
Not happening !!!!!!

Especially David Wilson.

Honestly I don't have a true or real feeling this year of what the Giants will draft in the 1st , especially at 32, but heck I can live with that ( drafting last every year ).

Kruunch
02-29-2012, 12:18 PM
Not happening !!!!!!

Especially David Wilson.

Honestly I don't have a true or real feeling this year of what the Giants will draft in the 1st , especially at 32, but heck I can live with that ( drafting last every year ).

I think the Giants are in a position to play "catcher" for anything that falls to us.

If one of the following falls I think there is a good chance you'll see us pick one of these with our first:

1) Dontari Poe
2) Whitney Mercillus
3) Mike Adams
4) Cordy Glenn
5) Mark Barron

These are possibles I could see falling depending on those who would take them ahead of us going in different directions (i.e. the Texans/Steelers decide they want a CB and don't take Dontari Poe).

Past that, if everything falls the way it's "supposed" to, I could see the Giants going:

1) Coby Fleener
2) Mohamed Sanu
3) Donta Hightower (just because he's on EVERYONE'S mock)
4) Stephen Hill (if they buy into the 40 hype along with the rest of the chuckle heads)
5) Andre Branch

tonyt830
02-29-2012, 12:21 PM

Watching the combine, I was intereted in the comments made by Lombardi. He was talking about Al Davis, and how certain teams always draft a certain way. 1st out of his mouth was "when I think about the Giants draft I think Size-Speed. "

I do not think this mock follows that model.

yeah blue santa, I do not take Walter's mocks too serious. I know they just update their's weekly. I get a chuckle out of some of their comments on why a particular team needs to do this or do that.

There are some sites that have some outrageous picks in the 1st rd. But hey, to each is own. A lot of people will have differing opinions.

And I did catch a little bit of what Lombardi said about how teams draft certain ways. The Raiders were always known to go after the "fast" guys. It will be interesting to see how they draft this year with the new regime in there.

tonyt830
02-29-2012, 12:26 PM
Not happening !!!!!!

Especially David Wilson.

I think the Giants are in a position to play "catcher" for anything that falls to us.

If one of the following falls I think there is a good chance you'll see us pick one of these with our first:

1) Dontari Poe
2) Whitney Mercillus
3) Mike Adams
4) Cordy Glenn
5) Mark Barron

These are possibles I could see falling depending on those who would take them ahead of us going in different directions (i.e. the Texans/Steelers decide they want a CB and don't take Dontari Poe).

Past that, if everything falls the way it's "supposed" to, I could see the Giants going:

1) Coby Fleener
2) Mohamed Sanu
4) Stephen Hill (if they buy into the 40 hype along with the rest of the chuckle heads)
5) Andre BranchIf we had a chance for Glenn, Poe or Mercilus at 32, I would be extremely happy!

I know reese likes to go BPA, but one need is our O-line and our strength is our front 4., our pass rush.

But depending on what other teams do, like you said, who knows who will be there at 32 and who is on Reese's board at that point.

Raptor22
02-29-2012, 12:34 PM
Not happening !!!!!!

Especially David Wilson.

1) Dontari Poe
2) Whitney Mercillus
3) Mike Adams
4) Cordy Glenn
5) Mark Barron

1) Coby Fleener
2) Mohamed Sanu
5) Andre Branch

Odds are, its going to be a D-lineman of some description. I think Poe, Cox, and Perry are at the top of the G-Men's board @ 32. Poe just blew the roof off The Drum, but given his school's size, rawness, and level of comp, its possible 31 other GM's talk themselves out of the pick.

Perry I see falling because he just didn't move like a 34 OLB, which is what he's touted as. As a DE, Ingram, Coples, and Mercilus could all top him for less patient (ie: deep) teams. Personally, I'd love to see him under-studying Tuck (LDE with a 1.56 10yrd split? damn...)

Likewise, I think teams will pass on Cox because of his weight, and he
needs to grow into his body some. There are really aren't any other
teams in the league that can afford to red-shirt a D-Lineman and let him
grow into a top-10 lineman.

as for how things are "Supposed" to work out... This is going to be a wild draft. I'm pretty much expecting 3 qb's to go in the top 10, and I wouldn't be surprised to see 4 or 5 go in the first round. I can see Luck, RG3, Tannehill, Cousins, and Oswieler all going (note: Could even throw Weeden in there somewhere, or replace Tannehill/Cousins with him). That's going to push a lot of top level talent down to the lower picks. Also with the new rookie wage scale, there could be a lot more trading going on than we're used to.

critters
02-29-2012, 12:41 PM
I see about a 0% chance of 5 quarterbacks going in the first round.

Raptor22
02-29-2012, 01:08 PM

Oh?

4 went in the top 12 last year, and that wasn't a spectacular QB class.

The Dolphins, Browns, Seahawks, and Redskins NEED a qb. The Chiefs, Bucs, Jets, and Broncos could also be considering an upgrade at QB.

Also, I wouldn't rule out the eagles taking Weeden early, because if they don't realize by now that you need a starting-quality backup to Vick, then they're dumber than I've given them credit for. (Also, I wouldn't rule out the 'boys from looking at a QB too)

If this past season has proved anything, its that if your team doesn't have a QB that can get it done, you're not going anywhere.

Kruunch
02-29-2012, 01:09 PM
Yeah I doubt 5 QBs go in the first unless we have a plethora of Viking-like picks this year.

Luck and RG3 for sure in the top 5.

After that Tannehill is bouncing around on everyone's draft boards from 10th to 40th.

So 2, possibly 3 QBs in the first tops.

Again, assuming nothing crazy happens (big assumption to be sure).

DLine wise we pick in a really ugly spot in the first round. The guys who look to be truly available (i.e. not one of the ones I've mentioned previously) are Brandon Thompson (DT), Kendall Reyes (DT) and Andre Branch (DE).

Out of that bunch, only Kendall Reyes seems to fit the Giants mold of athletic Dlineman. Brandon Thompson I think could fit our line however (explosive DT with a non-stop motor). I'm not a fan of Branch ... not the kind of DE we normally go after (seems more like a 3-4 DE to me).

Raptor22
02-29-2012, 01:19 PM
Yeah I doubt 5 QBs go in the first unless we have a plethora of Viking-like picks this year.

After that Tannehill is bouncing around on everyone's draft boards from 10th to 40th.

DLine wise we pick in a really ugly spot in the first round. The guys who look to be truly available (i.e. not one of the ones I've mentioned previously) are Brandon Thompson (DT), Kendall Reyes (DT) and Andre Branch (DE).

Out of that bunch, only Kendall Reyes seems to fit the Giants mold of athletic Dlineman. Brandon Thompson I think could fit our line however (explosive DT with a non-stop motor). I'm not a fan of Branch ... not the kind of DE we normally go after (seems more like a 3-4 DE to me).

I keep seeing 34 OLB when I look at Branch.

He moves like an OLB, and he doesn't look like he'd be stout enough to put his hand in the dirt (or rubber pellets, in our case).

Perry and Mercilus remind me more of Kiwi (long, lean DE, who CAN play
linebacker in a pinch and after some work, but they're really DE's)

Kruunch
02-29-2012, 01:26 PM

I keep seeing 34 OLB when I look at Branch.

He moves like an OLB, and he doesn't look like he'd be stout enough to put his hand in the dirt (or rubber pellets, in our case).

Perry and Mercilus remind me more of Kiwi (long, lean DE, who CAN play
linebacker in a pinch and after some work, but they're really DE's)

I didn't look at Branch that way but yeah I could see him as a 3-4 OLB. He certainly doesn't explode out of a 3-point stance (which is why I don't like him as a DE).

I agree about Perry but disagree about Mercilus. He was so potent with his hand in the dirt it'd be a crying shame to see him in a 3-4.

I'm not sure if Perry is on the Giants radar ... he almost looks like Adrian Tracy going in the other direction (from DE to LB).

slipknottin
02-29-2012, 01:39 PM
A 5'10 176 pound CB? lol

Roswell777
02-29-2012, 01:50 PM
I don't know anything about the draft and learn most of it from reading you guys discuss it, but I really want the Giants to draft a ''Meggett/Sproles" type running back.

Is there any draftable player that fits that mold?

BlueSanta
02-29-2012, 01:56 PM
I don't know anything about the draft and learn most of it from reading you guys discuss it, but I really want the Giants to draft a ''Meggett/Sproles" type running back.

Rainey and LaMichael James.

I think both of these 2 are a little underrated right now.

Redeyejedi
02-29-2012, 02:10 PM
A 5'10 176 pound CB? lolWright is the only one of those picks I could see because he can stretch the field. He is more of a slot guy though

Kruunch
02-29-2012, 02:14 PM
I don't know anything about the draft and learn most of it from reading you guys discuss it,* but I really want the Giants to draft a ''Meggett/Sproles" type running back.

+1

Mostly due to size (wonder how often we have to see these undersized RBs break out in the NFL before it stops detracting from them?)

critters
02-29-2012, 05:54 PM

Oh?

4 went in the top 12 last year, and that wasn't a spectacular QB class.

The Dolphins, Browns, Seahawks, and Redskins NEED a qb. The Chiefs, Bucs, Jets, and Broncos could also be considering an upgrade at QB.

Also, I wouldn't rule out the eagles taking Weeden early, because if they don't realize by now that you need a starting-quality backup to Vick, then they're dumber than I've given them credit for. (Also, I wouldn't rule out the 'boys from looking at a QB too)

If this past season has proved anything, its that if your team doesn't have a QB that can get it done, you're not going anywhere.

Well then that's 4 less teams that need qbs. this year I wouldn't be surprised to see teams take qbs early, just not 5 in the first round. DEFINITELY don't see the Cowboys taking a qb in the first round.

wideright91
02-29-2012, 06:05 PM

Is Davin Meggett close enough?

nycsportzfan
02-29-2012, 06:09 PM
They have our Giants taking Rd 1 David Wilson, RB, Va Tech Rd 2 Jayron Hosley, CB, Va Tech Rd 3 Brandon Brooks, G Miami, OH Rd 4 Jarius Wright, WR, Arkansas http://walterfootball.com/draft2012_1.php I don't know much about that Brandon Brooks, but I wouldn't be too upset with those picks.Im the Giants GM for a 7 Round expert mock on Friday. The only value I like there is Jarius Wright. These r some guys who I think are more likely in the first Stephen Gilmore CB South Carolina Mark Barron S Alabama Rueben Randle WR LSU Kendall Reyes DT Uconn Coby Fleener TE Stanford Going off there draft board i would of selected 1. Stephen Gilmore CB South Carolina 2. Amini Silatolu, G, Midwestern State 3. Matt Mccants OT UAB or George illoka S Boise State 4. Jarius Wright WR Ark -im fine with If Im faced with that board I will try to move down some. I see Tannehill still on the board I can probably shop the pick and move down to 40 or so. Before I pick on Friday I will show U guys the board and see if u want to throw up some suggestions Ya, i'm not a fan of Walts 4rd mock for us either.. I seen that this morning, and noticed more value in my opinion... Going by his board, i'd of selected like this...</P>

1. Kendall Reyes DT Uconn- Him and Fletcher Cox have eerily similar styles, and i'm a huge Fletcher Cox guy.. Also, Cantys older, and Bernards a FA, and Marvin Austin is still a unknown, missing past 2seasons with injury and suspension.. Reyes has big upside..</P>

2. Casey Hayward CB Vanderbilt- U know how much i like Hayward.. I've been a huge fan of his most of the season, and think he desrves consideration for late 1st/ early 2nd.. I actually have Hayward ranked as teh 2nd best CB in this draft, ahead of Dre Kirkpatrick...A ballhawk , whos willing and able to play the run, and has great instincts... Sign me up...</P>

3. Brian Quick WR App st- Big WR, who i think would fit well with Cruz and Nicks.. He would give us that Possesion WR/ Can get deep on occasion WR that we lost with Plax... Quicks hands are very reliable..</P>

4. Vick Ballard RB Miss ST- Underrated Back, has power and burst..</P>

nycsportzfan
02-29-2012, 06:11 PM

Davin Meggett is one of my biggest sleeper RB's per my personal rankings

Raptor22
02-29-2012, 06:32 PM

Except Davin Meggett is about twice as big as his father...

Redeyejedi
03-01-2012, 11:48 AM
They have our Giants taking Rd 1 David Wilson, RB, Va Tech Rd 2 Jayron Hosley, CB, Va Tech Rd 3 Brandon Brooks, G Miami, OH Rd 4 Jarius Wright, WR, Arkansas http://walterfootball.com/draft2012_1.php I don't know much about that Brandon Brooks, but I wouldn't be too upset with those picks.Im the Giants GM for a 7 Round expert mock on Friday. The only value I like there is Jarius Wright. These r some guys who I think are more likely in the first Stephen Gilmore CB South Carolina Mark Barron S Alabama Rueben Randle WR LSU Kendall Reyes DT Uconn Coby Fleener TE Stanford Going off there draft board i would of selected 1. Stephen Gilmore CB South Carolina 2. Amini Silatolu, G, Midwestern State 3. Matt Mccants OT UAB or George illoka S Boise State 4. Jarius Wright WR Ark -im fine with If Im faced with that board I will try to move down some. I see Tannehill still on the board I can probably shop the pick and move down to 40 or so. Before I pick on Friday I will show U guys the board and see if u want to throw up some suggestions* Ya, i'm not a fan of Walts 4rd mock for us either.. I seen that this morning, and noticed more value in my opinion...* Going by his board, i'd of selected like this...</P>

1.** Kendall Reyes DT Uconn-* Him and Fletcher Cox have eerily similar styles, and i'm a huge Fletcher Cox guy.. Also, Cantys older, and Bernards a FA, and Marvin Austin is still a unknown, missing past 2seasons with injury and suspension.. Reyes has big upside..</P>

2.* Casey Hayward CB Vanderbilt- U know how much i like Hayward.. I've been a huge fan of his most of the season, and think he desrves consideration for late 1st/ early 2nd.. I actually have Hayward ranked as teh 2nd best CB* in this draft, ahead of Dre Kirkpatrick...*A ballhawk , whos willing and able to play the run, and has great instincts... Sign me up...</P>

3. Brian Quick WR App st-* Big WR, who i think would fit well with Cruz and Nicks.. He would give us that Possesion WR/ Can get deep on occasion WR that we lost with Plax... Quicks hands are very reliable..</P>

4. Vick Ballard RB Miss ST- Underrated Back, has power and burst..</P>I like all those players but the O Line to me is just putrid.Every player on the line save for Snee is one of the worst starters in the NFL

Redeyejedi
03-01-2012, 11:58 AM
I don't know anything about the draft and learn most of it from reading you guys discuss it,* but I really want the Giants to draft a ''Meggett/Sproles" type running back.

+1

Mostly due to size (wonder how often we have to see these undersized RBs break out in the NFL before it stops detracting from them?)How many Sub 200 pound Running Backs were in the Top 40 in rushing this season?

2, Darren Sproles and Chris Johnson thats why they arent valued the same

nycsportzfan
03-01-2012, 12:23 PM
They have our Giants taking Rd 1 David Wilson, RB, Va Tech Rd 2 Jayron Hosley, CB, Va Tech Rd 3 Brandon Brooks, G Miami, OH Rd 4 Jarius Wright, WR, Arkansas http://walterfootball.com/draft2012_1.php I don't know much about that Brandon Brooks, but I wouldn't be too upset with those picks.Im the Giants GM for a 7 Round expert mock on Friday. The only value I like there is Jarius Wright. These r some guys who I think are more likely in the first Stephen Gilmore CB South Carolina Mark Barron S Alabama Rueben Randle WR LSU Kendall Reyes DT Uconn Coby Fleener TE Stanford Going off there draft board i would of selected 1. Stephen Gilmore CB South Carolina 2. Amini Silatolu, G, Midwestern State 3. Matt Mccants OT UAB or George illoka S Boise State 4. Jarius Wright WR Ark -im fine with If Im faced with that board I will try to move down some. I see Tannehill still on the board I can probably shop the pick and move down to 40 or so. Before I pick on Friday I will show U guys the board and see if u want to throw up some suggestions Ya, i'm not a fan of Walts 4rd mock for us either.. I seen that this morning, and noticed more value in my opinion... Going by his board, i'd of selected like this...</P>

1. Kendall Reyes DT Uconn- Him and Fletcher Cox have eerily similar styles, and i'm a huge Fletcher Cox guy.. Also, Cantys older, and Bernards a FA, and Marvin Austin is still a unknown, missing past 2seasons with injury and suspension.. Reyes has big upside..</P>

2. Casey Hayward CB Vanderbilt- U know how much i like Hayward.. I've been a huge fan of his most of the season, and think he desrves consideration for late 1st/ early 2nd.. I actually have Hayward ranked as teh 2nd best CB in this draft, ahead of Dre Kirkpatrick...A ballhawk , whos willing and able to play the run, and has great instincts... Sign me up...</P>

3. Brian Quick WR App st- Big WR, who i think would fit well with Cruz and Nicks.. He would give us that Possesion WR/ Can get deep on occasion WR that we lost with Plax... Quicks hands are very reliable..</P>

4. Vick Ballard RB Miss ST- Underrated Back, has power and burst..</P>I like all those players but the O Line to me is just putrid.Every player on the line save for Snee is one of the worst starters in the NFL I thought the Line really stepped up over the course of the 2nd half and postseason.. Beatty is decent, and will be healthy, and Petrus showed some signes, and boothe was solid.. Plus, i like James Brewer, as u know, at least did as a prospect, so i'm still holding onto the belief hes got something to offer as well... I can see where it possible for us to not draft oline, but its unlikely i will admit, as far as the first 4rds..

Kruunch
03-01-2012, 02:29 PM

+1

Mostly due to size (wonder how often we have to see these undersized RBs break out in the NFL before it stops detracting from them?)How many Sub 200 pound Running Backs were in the Top 40 in rushing this season?

Forget top 40 ... 3 of the top 5 rushers this year were under 6' and hover around 200 lbs (Rice, Jones-Drew, McCoy).

You also forgot Gore and Tate (and that's just the top 20).

Kruunch
03-01-2012, 02:38 PM
They have our Giants taking Rd 1 David Wilson, RB, Va Tech Rd 2 Jayron Hosley, CB, Va Tech Rd 3 Brandon Brooks, G Miami, OH Rd 4 Jarius Wright, WR, Arkansas http://walterfootball.com/draft2012_1.php I don't know much about that Brandon Brooks, but I wouldn't be too upset with those picks.Im the Giants GM for a 7 Round expert mock on Friday. The only value I like there is Jarius Wright. These r some guys who I think are more likely in the first Stephen Gilmore CB South Carolina Mark Barron S Alabama Rueben Randle WR LSU Kendall Reyes DT Uconn Coby Fleener TE Stanford Going off there draft board i would of selected 1. Stephen Gilmore CB South Carolina 2. Amini Silatolu, G, Midwestern State 3. Matt Mccants OT UAB or George illoka S Boise State 4. Jarius Wright WR Ark -im fine with If Im faced with that board I will try to move down some. I see Tannehill still on the board I can probably shop the pick and move down to 40 or so. Before I pick on Friday I will show U guys the board and see if u want to throw up some suggestions* Ya, i'm not a fan of Walts 4rd mock for us either.. I seen that this morning, and noticed more value in my opinion...* Going by his board, i'd of selected like this...</P>

1.** Kendall Reyes DT Uconn-* Him and Fletcher Cox have eerily similar styles, and i'm a huge Fletcher Cox guy.. Also, Cantys older, and Bernards a FA, and Marvin Austin is still a unknown, missing past 2seasons with injury and suspension.. Reyes has big upside..</P>

2.* Casey Hayward CB Vanderbilt- U know how much i like Hayward.. I've been a huge fan of his most of the season, and think he desrves consideration for late 1st/ early 2nd.. I actually have Hayward ranked as teh 2nd best CB* in this draft, ahead of Dre Kirkpatrick...*A ballhawk , whos willing and able to play the run, and has great instincts... Sign me up...</P>

3. Brian Quick WR App st-* Big WR, who i think would fit well with Cruz and Nicks.. He would give us that Possesion WR/ Can get deep on occasion WR that we lost with Plax... Quicks hands are very reliable..</P>

4. Vick Ballard RB Miss ST- Underrated Back, has power and burst..</P>I like all those players but the O Line to me is just putrid.Every player on the line save for Snee is one of the worst starters in the NFL

Yeah I know what you mean ... Eli being one of the least sacked QBs and the Giants having a Top 10 offense and all http://boards.giants.com/emoticons/emotion-43.gif

But yeah I think we need a high Oline pick, for RT if nothing else.

LT_was_good
03-02-2012, 12:07 PM
They have our Giants taking Rd 1 David Wilson, RB, Va Tech Rd 2 Jayron Hosley, CB, Va Tech Rd 3 Brandon Brooks, G Miami, OH Rd 4 Jarius Wright, WR, Arkansas http://walterfootball.com/draft2012_1.php I don't know much about that Brandon Brooks, but I wouldn't be too upset with those picks.Im the Giants GM for a 7 Round expert mock on Friday. The only value I like there is Jarius Wright. These r some guys who I think are more likely in the first Stephen Gilmore CB South Carolina Mark Barron S Alabama Rueben Randle WR LSU Kendall Reyes DT Uconn Coby Fleener TE Stanford Going off there draft board i would of selected 1. Stephen Gilmore CB South Carolina 2. Amini Silatolu, G, Midwestern State 3. Matt Mccants OT UAB or George illoka S Boise State 4. Jarius Wright WR Ark -im fine with If Im faced with that board I will try to move down some. I see Tannehill still on the board I can probably shop the pick and move down to 40 or so. Before I pick on Friday I will show U guys the board and see if u want to throw up some suggestions Ya, i'm not a fan of Walts 4rd mock for us either.. I seen that this morning, and noticed more value in my opinion... Going by his board, i'd of selected like this...</p>

1. Kendall Reyes DT Uconn- Him and Fletcher Cox have eerily similar styles, and i'm a huge Fletcher Cox guy.. Also, Cantys older, and Bernards a FA, and Marvin Austin is still a unknown, missing past 2seasons with injury and suspension.. Reyes has big upside..</p>

2. Casey Hayward CB Vanderbilt- U know how much i like Hayward.. I've been a huge fan of his most of the season, and think he desrves consideration for late 1st/ early 2nd.. I actually have Hayward ranked as teh 2nd best CB in this draft, ahead of Dre Kirkpatrick...A ballhawk , whos willing and able to play the run, and has great instincts... Sign me up...</p>

3. Brian Quick WR App st- Big WR, who i think would fit well with Cruz and Nicks.. He would give us that Possesion WR/ Can get deep on occasion WR that we lost with Plax... Quicks hands are very reliable..</p>

4. Vick Ballard RB Miss ST- Underrated Back, has power and burst..</p>I like all those players but the O Line to me is just putrid.Every player on the line save for Snee is one of the worst starters in the NFL

Yeah I know what you mean ... Eli being one of the least sacked QBs and the Giants having a Top 10 offense and all http://boards.giants.com/emoticons/emotion-43.gif

OT would be my first choice in the draft, but my understanding is there is unlikely to be good value at pick 32? I wouldn't mind the Giants trading up this year for a solid OT if there's one projecting only a handful of picks ahead of us.

Kruunch
03-02-2012, 02:21 PM
They have our Giants taking Rd 1 David Wilson, RB, Va Tech Rd 2 Jayron Hosley, CB, Va Tech Rd 3 Brandon Brooks, G Miami, OH Rd 4 Jarius Wright, WR, Arkansas http://walterfootball.com/draft2012_1.php I don't know much about that Brandon Brooks, but I wouldn't be too upset with those picks.Im the Giants GM for a 7 Round expert mock on Friday. The only value I like there is Jarius Wright. These r some guys who I think are more likely in the first Stephen Gilmore CB South Carolina Mark Barron S Alabama Rueben Randle WR LSU Kendall Reyes DT Uconn Coby Fleener TE Stanford Going off there draft board i would of selected 1. Stephen Gilmore CB South Carolina 2. Amini Silatolu, G, Midwestern State 3. Matt Mccants OT UAB or George illoka S Boise State 4. Jarius Wright WR Ark -im fine with If Im faced with that board I will try to move down some. I see Tannehill still on the board I can probably shop the pick and move down to 40 or so. Before I pick on Friday I will show U guys the board and see if u want to throw up some suggestions* Ya, i'm not a fan of Walts 4rd mock for us either.. I seen that this morning, and noticed more value in my opinion...* Going by his board, i'd of selected like this...</p>

1.** Kendall Reyes DT Uconn-* Him and Fletcher Cox have eerily similar styles, and i'm a huge Fletcher Cox guy.. Also, Cantys older, and Bernards a FA, and Marvin Austin is still a unknown, missing past 2seasons with injury and suspension.. Reyes has big upside..</p>

2.* Casey Hayward CB Vanderbilt- U know how much i like Hayward.. I've been a huge fan of his most of the season, and think he desrves consideration for late 1st/ early 2nd.. I actually have Hayward ranked as teh 2nd best CB* in this draft, ahead of Dre Kirkpatrick...*A ballhawk , whos willing and able to play the run, and has great instincts... Sign me up...</p>

3. Brian Quick WR App st-* Big WR, who i think would fit well with Cruz and Nicks.. He would give us that Possesion WR/ Can get deep on occasion WR that we lost with Plax... Quicks hands are very reliable..</p>

4. Vick Ballard RB Miss ST- Underrated Back, has power and burst..</p>I like all those players but the O Line to me is just putrid.Every player on the line save for Snee is one of the worst starters in the NFL

OT would be my first choice in the draft, but my understanding is there is unlikely to be good value at pick 32?* I wouldn't mind the Giants trading up this year for a solid OT if there's one projecting only a handful of picks ahead of us.

Mike Adams would be a solid pick at OT in the first .

But if they have someone like Brandon Mosely graded anywhere near as high as Adams, then they'll wait until the 3rd for their OT (and so on).

So the question is not who is around in the first ... but how much of a higher grade that player has over the next guy in the same position.

nycsportzfan
03-02-2012, 02:32 PM

4. Vick Ballard RB Miss ST- Underrated Back, has power and burst..</P>I like all those players but the O Line to me is just putrid.Every player on the line save for Snee is one of the worst starters in the NFL Yeah I know what you mean ... Eli being one of the least sacked QBs and the Giants having a Top 10 offense and all http://boards.giants.com/emoticons/emotion-43.gif But yeah I think we need a high Oline pick, for RT if nothing else.

OT would be my first choice in the draft, but my understanding is there is unlikely to be good value at pick 32? I wouldn't mind the Giants trading up this year for a solid OT if there's one projecting only a handful of picks ahead of us.
Mike Adams would be a solid pick at OT in the first . But if they have someone like Brandon Mosely graded anywhere near as high as Adams, then they'll wait until the 3rd for their OT (and so on). So the question is not who is around in the first ... but how much of a higher grade that player has over the next guy in the same position. I'd have no problem if the giants were to trade up a handful of picks for either Cordy Glenn or Mike Adams... I think Either would be a nice upgrade, and give us a bit of a infusion of youth as well.. Not to mention, we'd still be able to keep our 2nd, probably have to give up our 3rd rder...

Kruunch
03-02-2012, 02:54 PM

4. Vick Ballard RB Miss ST- Underrated Back, has power and burst..</P>I like all those players but the O Line to me is just putrid.Every player on the line save for Snee is one of the worst starters in the NFL Yeah I know what you mean ... Eli being one of the least sacked QBs and the Giants having a Top 10 offense and all http://boards.giants.com/emoticons/emotion-43.gif But yeah I think we need a high Oline pick, for RT if nothing else.

OT would be my first choice in the draft, but my understanding is there is unlikely to be good value at pick 32?* I wouldn't mind the Giants trading up this year for a solid OT if there's one projecting only a handful of picks ahead of us.
Mike Adams would be a solid pick at OT in the first . But if they have someone like Brandon Mosely graded anywhere near as high as Adams, then they'll wait until the 3rd for their OT (and so on). So the question is not who is around in the first ... but how much of a higher grade that player has over the next guy in the same position.* I'd have no problem if the giants were to trade up a handful of picks for either Cordy Glenn or Mike Adams...* I think Either would be a nice upgrade, and give us a bit of a infusion of youth as well..* Not to mention, we'd still be able to keep our 2nd, probably have to give up our 3rd rder...

If we could trade up 3-6 spots and grab Cordy Glenn with only having to give up a 4th rounder I'd be all for it.

Mike Adams shouldn't merit a trade up. As it stands now, he'll most likely be available when we pick.

Redeyejedi
03-02-2012, 04:28 PM

+1

Forget top 40 ... 3 of the top 5 rushers this year were under 6' and hover around 200 lbs (Rice, Jones-Drew, McCoy).

You also forgot Gore and Tate (and that's just the top 20).] I didnt forget anybody under 200 pounds is under 200 pounds not around 200 pounds. Ray Rice is 212 or 27 pounds heavier then Rainey. Mccoy and Jones drew are 208 or 23 pounds heavier Frank Gore not even close he is 217 pounds or 32 pounds heavier. Ben Tate is 214 or 29 pounds heavier. Lamichael James the same thing all those guys are at least 13 pounds heavier and all over the 200 pound threshold that I stated..

Kruunch
03-02-2012, 05:26 PM

+1

You also forgot Gore and Tate (and that's just the top 20).] I didnt forget anybody under 200 pounds is under 200 pounds not around 200 pounds. Ray Rice is 212 or 27 pounds heavier then Rainey. Mccoy and Jones drew are 208 or 23 pounds heavier Frank Gore not even close he is 217 pounds or 32 pounds heavier. Ben Tate is 214 or 29 pounds heavier. Lamichael James the same thing all those guys are at least 13 pounds heavier and all over the 200 pound threshold that I stated..

NFL conditioning programs are worth 10lbs by itself and teams can always add weight to a player.

So that same RB in college that's 5'9 187, could easily enter his first NFL season as 208 lbs.

Which puts that guy in exactly the range of the players I've mentioned (and ironically ... that's where (most) of them were in college).

Rice weighed 192lbs when at Rutgers.

BlueSanta
03-02-2012, 10:44 PM
The reason smaller backs are less valued is a percentage game. Its teams playing the percentages, thats all.

There have been small guys who do very well carrying the load for their teams over the years. But the percentages say they are less likely to do so. Fewer "small" guys last too.

That said, the question asked was who coming out this year are considered "megget/sproles" type backs. Neither Megget or Sproles is/was the primary back on his team. I do think both Rainey and James are VERY good prospects in that mold. Of the 2 I think James has the better chance of being a Primary back, because he is better at avoiding hard colisions. But, I doubt any team that drafts him intends him to be a 20+ carry a game back. It will likely be a team that needs a 2nd back to fill the stable.

heavyhitter
03-03-2012, 10:56 AM
What about the Safety from Alabama? Couldn't watch any combine yesterday and didn't have time to read up on the event yesterday. Wasn't there mention that he could slip to a late 1st round pick?<font size="2">Barron would be a steal at 32, I'd love that pick. If the Giants don't go that route in round 1, I wouldn't mind them taking Harrison Smith at 64. I'm pretty high on both of these safeties, especially Mark Barron. Pats have two 1st rounders though and I can see them taking Barron (they could use the help).</font>