PDA

View Full Version : I just had a chance to listen to a 20 minute Cowher interview on Sirius Radio

BParcells777
12-05-2011, 10:10 PM
Let me tell you this guy is "not who we thought (he was) they were"........he's very very articulate, and made a lot of sense. He was not campaigning for a coaching job.....just talking football and how to discipline a guy like "NStopinick Stupid" (my description not Bill's). He is very calm, and confident.
There would be no holding back or lack of effort, or nonsense under this guy....do it and you'll quickly find yourself on the pine.

If it comes down to Tom retiring, and Cowher coming in, I feel very very assured now we will be getting a heck of a good HC. He actually sounds a lot like Coughlin in his philosophy but much less rigid, and a heck of a lot more interview-able (did I just make up a new phrase?).

He had a very good handle on the Tim Tebow phenomena and had a lot of good ideas about how to stop Tim. If Tim can indeed be stopped once he learns to pass more accurately.

This guy is just what the doctor ordered.

I hope Tom wins the SB this year and calls it a day. Cowher is what we need to build a dynasty-
My Giants dream since I was a kid.

krygny
12-05-2011, 10:23 PM
Cowher's a good coach but I doubt he's interested. Why would he give up a well-paying part-time job where he's universally loved and respected, to take a better-paying (but not by much) full-time job where he works 18 hours a day, has no life, and is hated by half the Giants fans, half the time?

Oh, and BTW, ... the Steelers have a better coach now. Tomlin was an upgrade. Best damn gameday coach in the NFL.

BParcells777
12-05-2011, 10:37 PM
Tomlin's a good HC I'll give you that....I do not really think you understand Cowher though.

As I said I want to build a dynasty.....Tomlin's not going to get me there....He's still living off the system and a lot of the players Cowher left behind.

I can see the Steelers doing a Cowboy's like dive into mediocrity in a few years

You think Cowher is unavailable.....then forget about getting Tomlin over here.....he's not going anywhere willingly nor is Tom....both are living the "Dream"

lawl
12-05-2011, 10:46 PM
Switching to a 3-4 would be a whole lot of turnover

BParcells777
12-05-2011, 10:49 PM
You would have to hear the interview....I doubt he's that inflexible...Parcells switched tiot he 4-3 when the personnel dictated it

nothing is written in stone with a real good coach

krygny
12-05-2011, 10:50 PM
Who said anything about getting Tomlin here? He also has a job and he's keeping it. And unless we lose the next 4 games, so is Tom Coughlin. As of right now, Coughlin is not getting fired, despite all the expert opinions here.

BParcells777
12-05-2011, 10:53 PM
you are right..........the team just might have saved his job yesterday

G4L
12-05-2011, 11:08 PM
</P>

I think the front office is well aware that if this team fails to make the playoffs, it is not the fault of our Head Coach. We started our season in salary cap trouble and were unable to make any big free agent acquisitions. Our roster was and continues to be decimated by injuries. The second half of our scheduleis brutal. The team played welldespite adversity for the first half of the year and that is a credit to Coughlin. The collapse we seem to be in right now was inevitable reagardless of who our coach is. Vince Lomardi could not have done a better job with our injury-riddled roster against our second half schedule.</P>

BK07071
12-05-2011, 11:21 PM

We don't have the linebackers to use a 3-4 defense.

G4L
12-05-2011, 11:29 PM

</P>

We don't have the LBer's to run a 4-3, either. The upside to running a 3-4 is that most of the better college football programs run a 3-4 so its easier to evaluate LBer's. See Clint Sintim for an example. He was a beast as a 3-4 college LB that we thought would transition well to our 4-3 system. We seem to have been wrong.</P>

myles2424
12-06-2011, 12:33 AM

</P>

We don't have the LBer's to run a 4-3, either.* The upside to running a 3-4 is that most of the better college football programs run a 3-4 so its easier to evaluate LBer's.* See Clint Sintim for an example.* He was a beast as a 3-4 college LB that we thought would transition well to our 4-3 system.* We seem to have been wrong.</P> you know it's a bad idea when your one & only point is Sintim...

myles2424
12-06-2011, 12:34 AM

</P>

We don't have the LBer's to run a 4-3, either.* The upside to running a 3-4 is that most of the better college football programs run a 3-4 so its easier to evaluate LBer's.* See Clint Sintim for an example.* He was a beast as a 3-4 college LB that we thought would transition well to our 4-3 system.* We seem to have been wrong.</P> you know it's a bad idea when your one & only point is Sintim...

RagTime Blue
12-06-2011, 01:16 AM
Three words on why we won't switch to a 3-4:

Jason Pierre Paul

Jay_Da_Giants_Fan
12-06-2011, 01:25 AM
</P>

I think the front office is well aware that if this team fails to make the playoffs, it is not the fault of our Head Coach.* We started our season in salary cap trouble and were unable to make any big free agent acquisitions.* Our roster was and continues to be decimated by injuries.* The second half of our schedule*is brutal.* The team played well*despite adversity for the first half of the year and that is a credit to Coughlin.* The collapse we seem to be in right now was inevitable reagardless of who our coach is.* Vince Lomardi could not have done a better job with our injury-riddled roster against our second half schedule.</P>

Mike McCarthy did a good job with his injury riddled team last year

BlueSanta
12-06-2011, 01:47 AM
Cowher's a good coach but I doubt he's interested. Why would he give up a well-paying part-time job where he's universally loved and respected, to take a better-paying (but not by much) full-time job where he works 18 hours a day, has no life, and is hated by half the Giants fans, half the time?

Oh, and BTW, ... the Steelers have a better coach now. Tomlin was an upgrade. Best damn gameday coach in the NFL.

Hard to say Tomlin is better when he is fielding a team that is almost completely built with guys Cowher brought in.

I agree Tomlin is a damn good coach. But Cowher is 1 of the best ever at finding defensive talent in the draft and developing it. seriously, look at all the guys Cowher found in the draft and castoffs other teams didnt want who he turned into stars during his regime. Its an incredible list.

Drez
12-06-2011, 02:45 AM

Hard to say Tomlin is better when he is fielding a team that is almost completely built with guys Cowher brought in.

I agree Tomlin is a damn good coach. But Cowher is 1 of the best ever at finding defensive talent in the draft and developing it. seriously, look at all the guys Cowher found in the draft and castoffs other teams didnt want who he turned into stars during his regime. Its an incredible list.

</P>

Let's also not forget that Tomlin is running the same offensive and defensive systems that Cowher put in place. He was pretty much handed the keys and asked not to crash it.</P>

BlueBlooded1979
12-06-2011, 04:53 AM
Any coach that would look at the very talented group of DE's and force a switch to the 3-4 is too stubborn to survive in today's NFL.

I do think it matters less than ever. The best defensive schemes are based on concepts, not formations. They use multiple fronts and attack offensive weakness. I think that this group would adjust well to some creativity.

Not entirely sure what his defensive philosophy is anyway since he wisely let LeBeau run that side of the house without interference.

SweetZombieJesus
12-06-2011, 09:19 AM

Answer: he is a coach. It's in the blood.

Look at Parcells -- who retired and came back 3 times.

gumby742
12-06-2011, 09:27 AM

</P>

Just look up the list of Linebackers they have groomed, played, and traded away during the last 15 years or so. It's unbelievable. Its a revolving door of quality linebackers.</P>

Mercury
12-06-2011, 09:53 AM
The chin wouldn't have the job he has now if he wasn't articulate and didn't know his stuff. I think he is an excellent candidate, if we end up looking for a new head coach. (We'll have to see if that happens.)

repeatchamps
12-06-2011, 10:28 AM
I don't know where to even start with some responses on here about Cowher so I'll disspelltwo myths:</P>

Cowher doesn't want the job:</P>

Fact: Cowher has expressed intersest in the Giants job numerous times and I doubtthat has changed and as someone here said he is a coach and it is in his blood.</P>

Cowher will switch to a 3-4:</P>

Fact: Cowher ran a 4-3 in Pittsburgh when it was warranted due to personnel. Yes he eventually transitioned his personnel to be a 3-4 but he did run a 4-3 for some of his seasons with the Steelers. He is a savvy coach who adjusts to his personnel on both sides of the ball. His track record proved that over and over again. If 4-3 fits the personnel he has and brings in that is what he'll run. Regardless he wants an attacking style defense. He strayed from that at one point with Tim Lewis (ugh[+o(]) and learned his lesson and never strayed from that attacking style again.</P>

So once and for all, if Coughlin goes (retires or is fired)Cowher will liklely be the number one candidate for the job. I've got no issues with it. He would be a great fit here and would start rebuilding the O-line on day1which would eventuallybecome a smash mouth O-linein both pass and run blocking and that is what is needed here first and foremost.</P>

GMENAGAIN
12-06-2011, 10:42 AM

</P>

How do you know that it was Cowher finding that talent and not the Pittsburgh FO?</P>

The one problem with Cowher coming here is that he will probaly want full control of personnel issues, which I do not think is possible with JR at the helm . . . </P>

gumby742
12-06-2011, 11:20 AM

</P>

How do you know that it was Cowher finding that talent and not the Pittsburgh FO?</P>

The one problem with Cowher coming here is that he will probaly want full control of personnel issues, which I do not think is possible with JR at the helm . . . </P>

</P>

I'm sure the coach has some say in who and how he wants to draft. Not to say he's 100% responsible as not many coaches are, but it's not like he was gift wrapped players.</P>

If he has no say in the players he drafts, then he's dang good at finding places to use them.</P>

Firenugget
12-06-2011, 12:01 PM
I don't understand the love affair with Giants fans and Cowher. He won a superbowl one year after being with the same team for what? 15 years? Also won AFC championship 10 years prior to Sb. I really just don't get it... Please enlighten me on how/why he is this legend of a HC to some of you.

giantsfan39
12-06-2011, 12:23 PM
We should stick to the 4-3. Yes elite 4-3 linebackers are rare. We won't get a Patrick Willis type LB but there is no reason we shouldn't have an LB corps consisting of guys like Boley, Nick Barnett, Tulloch, Lofton, Laurinaitis.

We don't need stars. We need 2 more Boleys. We need solid starters.

BlueSanta
12-06-2011, 03:20 PM

</p>

How do you know that it was Cowher finding that talent and not the Pittsburgh FO?</p>

The one problem with Cowher coming here is that he will probaly want full control of personnel issues, which I do not think is possible with JR at the helm . . . </p>

There is little doubt Cowher was in charge of drafting those players. Furthermore, its not just drafting them, he developed them.

I do agree that the possibility of Cowher wanting final say in personel choices is a potential setback.

BlueSanta
12-06-2011, 03:25 PM
I don't understand the love affair with Giants fans and Cowher. He won a superbowl one year after being with the same team for what? 15 years? Also won AFC championship 10 years prior to Sb. I really just don't get it... Please enlighten me on how/why he is this legend of a HC to some of you.

I dont pretend he is some legendary X and O coach at all.

But, he is a guy who gets a lot out of his players. A guy whos players want to play for, which is very important in this free agency period. He is a guy who walks a fine line between disciplinarian and players coach. I'm not advocating firing TC just yet, but if we did, there isnt a coach I would prefer be the replacement than Bill Cowher.

And, as I said above, he is an absolute legend at finding and developing young defensive talent. The names that have passed through pittsburg defensively in the last 20 years is absolutely incredible. Its a whos who of NFL defensive talent in the NFL over the last 2 decades, especially at the LB position.

Lastly, no team inthe NFL had a better record than the Steelers for the period that Bill Cowher was the coach in Pittsburg. That says it all.

SweetZombieJesus
12-06-2011, 05:09 PM

Consistently had them deep in the playoffs and made 2 SB appearances. Tough coach that the players still liked.

I don't recall any of his teams putting up vomit-inducing turkeys like Coughlin's teams do (let's walk down memory lane; 2005 at home in playoffs lose to Carolina 23-0; 2008 at home in playoffs lose to Eagles 23-11; 2009 lose last ever game at Giants Stadium to Carolina 41-9; 2010 meltdown vs Eagles 37-31).

Coughlin's never won a home playoff game.

Coughlin's Nov/Dec record is 28-41. I haven't looked up Cowher's but I'll guarantee you it's better than that.

It would also be the 3rd year in a row the team has missed the playoffs.

I think the front office is well aware that if this team fails to
make the playoffs, it is not the fault of our Head Coach.

The team has collapsed down the stretch in 7 of his 8 seasons. I think the front office is aware of that too.

In your opinion, are any of the team's 7 collapses his fault?

2004 - lost 9 of last 11
2006 - lost 6 of last 8
2007 - lost 4 of last 8
2008 - lost 3 of last 4
2009 - lost 8 of last 11
2010 - lost 2 of last 3
2011 - lost 4 of last 4

Which ones are his fault?

How can the same team play competitively against San Francisco and Green Bay, and then look disgusting against the Eagles and Seahawks? Answer: COACHING. The good news is they can play like they did against SF and GB. The bad news is they don't play that way all the time.

yoeddy
12-06-2011, 05:14 PM

It's because he has a scowl on his face...

Gianthunter
12-06-2011, 05:29 PM

Consistently had them deep in the playoffs and made 2 SB appearances. Tough coach that the players still liked.

I don't recall any of his teams putting up vomit-inducing turkeys like Coughlin's teams do (let's walk down memory lane; 2005 at home in playoffs lose to Carolina 23-0; 2008 at home in playoffs lose to Eagles 23-11; 2009 lose last ever game at Giants Stadium to Carolina 41-9; 2010 meltdown vs Eagles 37-31).

Coughlin's Nov/Dec record is 28-41. I haven't looked up Cowher's but I'll guarantee you it's better than that.

I think the front office is well aware that if this team fails to make the playoffs, it is not the fault of our Head Coach.

The team has collapsed down the stretch in 7 of his 8 seasons. I think the front office is aware of that too.

2004 - lost 8 of last 11
2006 - lost 6 of last 8
2007 - lost 4 of last 8
2008 - lost 3 of last 4
2009 - lost 8 of last 11
2010 - lost 2 of last 3
2011 - lost 4 of last 4

How can the same team play competitively against San Francisco and Green Bay, and then look disgusting against the Eagles and Saints? Answer: COACHING. The good news is they can play like they did against SF and GB. The bad news is they don't always play that way.
In the words of Justin Tuck.</P>

One would think this weekend’s game and the implications surrounding it would be enough for the Giants to get motivated. But the past four games – all losses – were certainly big ones as well. The Giants didn’t play with enough passion in two of them.</P>

“Physically, I think we prepare better than anybody in the country. Mentally, sometimes we have those lapses,” Tuck said. “Why? I don’t know. I’m as guilty as the next guy. It’s just something we’ve got to continue to work on.</P>

“Coach (Tom) Coughlin says all the time just be more mentally tough.”</P>

It was suggested to Tuck, as the players are wont to say, the other guys get paid, too, meaning they’re motivated as well. To which he replied, “But I don’t think the Saints get paid double than we get, do they?”</P>

Very true.</P>

“You just don’t have that spark some nights,” he said. “If you never played the game, I don’t expect you to realize what I’m saying but some nights you’ve got to trick yourself, you have to mind trick yourself. It’s tough sometimes, but that’s what you’ve got to do because it’s hard when your body’s beat up.</P>

“I know a lot of people don’t understand that. They say you’re getting paid a million dollars to play a game.”</P>

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2011/12/giants_justin_tuck_struggling.html</P>

GMENAGAIN
12-08-2011, 10:37 AM

</P>

<FONT size=4>There is little doubt Cowher was in charge of drafting those players.</FONT> Furthermore, its not just drafting them, he developed them.

I do agree that the possibility of Cowher wanting final say in personel choices is a potential setback.
</P>

Source?</P>

Has the Steelers drafting fallen off since he left?</P>

Firenugget
12-11-2011, 04:15 PM

2004 - lost 9 of last 11
2006 - lost 6 of last 8
2007 - lost 4 of last 8
2008 - lost 3 of last 4
2009 - lost 8 of last 11
2010 - lost 2 of last 3
2011 - lost 4 of last 4

How can the same team play competitively against San Francisco and Green Bay, and then look disgusting against the Eagles and Seahawks? Answer: COACHING. The good news is they can play like they did against SF and GB. The bad news is they don't play that way all the time.

So by your logic, every yearly result is credited (good or bad) to the HC rather than the people actually playing? Ever think that maybe he (Cowher) had really good players and probably under achieved? I mean you're talking like he had scrubs out there. Bettis? Slash? One hell of a defense? The man should have done better with what he had.

If you guys honestly think Cowher can just show up in here and things will be better, you're crazy imo.

miked1958
12-11-2011, 06:33 PM
Let me tell you this guy is "not who we thought (he was) they were"........he's very very articulate, and made a lot of sense.* He was not campaigning for a coaching job.....just talking football and how to discipline a guy like "NStopinick Stupid"* (my description not Bill's).* He is very calm, and confident.
There would be no holding back or lack of effort, or nonsense under this guy....do it and you'll quickly find yourself on the pine.

If it comes down to Tom retiring, and Cowher coming in, I feel very very assured now we will be getting a heck of a good HC.* He actually sounds a lot like Coughlin in his philosophy but much less rigid, and a heck of a lot more interview-able (did I just make up a new phrase?).

He had a very good handle on the Tim Tebow phenomena and had a lot of good ideas about how to stop Tim. If Tim can indeed be stopped once he learns to pass more accurately.**

I hope Tom wins the SB this year and calls it a day.* Cowher is what we need to build a dynasty-

Cowher has made it known that he wants the giants job. He has said it on several occasions in the past

Gianthunter
12-11-2011, 06:43 PM
Let me tell you this guy is "not who we thought (he was) they were"........he's very very articulate, and made a lot of sense. He was not campaigning for a coaching job.....just talking football and how to discipline a guy like "NStopinick Stupid" (my description not Bill's). He is very calm, and confident.

If it comes down to Tom retiring, and Cowher coming in, I feel very very assured now we will be getting a heck of a good HC. He actually sounds a lot like Coughlin in his philosophy but much less rigid, and a heck of a lot more interview-able (did I just make up a new phrase?).

He had a very good handle on the Tim Tebow phenomena and had a lot of good ideas about how to stop Tim. If Tim can indeed be stopped once he learns to pass more accurately.

I hope Tom wins the SB this year and calls it a day. Cowher is what we need to build a dynasty-
Cowher has made it known that he wants the giants job. He has said it on several occasions in the pastWhen? To whom?

Drez
12-11-2011, 06:55 PM

Cowher has made it known that he wants the giants job. He has said it on several occasions in the pastWhen? To whom?</P>

Jerome Bettis has said that Cowher wants the Giants job (I think that popped up last year, maybe the year before). Otherwise, it's just associated to the ever mysterious, "sources close to Cowher."</P>

Gianthunter
12-11-2011, 07:02 PM

Cowher has made it known that he wants the giants job. He has said it on several occasions in the pastWhen? To whom?</P>

Jerome Bettis has said that Cowher wants the Giants job (I think that popped up last year, maybe the year before). Otherwise, it's just associated to the ever mysterious, "sources close to Cowher."</P>Actualy thats a3 year old quote from Da Bus and Cowher squashed it. Then theres the always overlooked and supported fact. That Cowher wants more contol on the team if he chooses to come back. Anybody think that happens with the Giants?

Drez
12-11-2011, 07:04 PM

</P>

<FONT size=4>There is little doubt Cowher was in charge of drafting those players.</FONT> Furthermore, its not just drafting them, he developed them.

</P>

Source?</P>

Has the Steelers drafting fallen off since he left?</P>

</P>

It's widely known that Cowher had a major say in all personnel decisions. Here's what a quick google search popped up in regards to GM's around the league. The article this was taken from was dated 2003:</P>

<FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cccccc"><FONT face=Times>Kevin Colbert<SPAN style="WIDOWS: 2; TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(204,204,204); TEXT-INDENT: 0px; DISPLAY: inline !important; FONT: 14px Times, 'Times New Roman', serif; WHITE-SPACE: normal; ORPHANS: 2; FLOAT: none; LETTER-SPACING: normal; COLOR: rgb(0,0,0); WORD-SPACING: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px" class=Apple-style-span>: Coach Bill Cowher may not have the official say, but he does in reality. Cowher doesn't have any personnel decision come down without his approval. Colbert runs the draft and runs it in a way to make sure Cowher gets the players that he wants.</SPAN></FONT></FONT></P>

<FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" color=#ff0000 face=Times><SPAN style="WIDOWS: 2; TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(204,204,204); TEXT-INDENT: 0px; DISPLAY: inline !important; FONT: 14px Times, 'Times New Roman', serif; WHITE-SPACE: normal; ORPHANS: 2; FLOAT: none; LETTER-SPACING: normal; COLOR: rgb(0,0,0); WORD-SPACING: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px" class=Apple-style-span><FONT size=3 face="Times New Roman">sports.espn.go.com/nfldraft/columnist?id=1541900</FONT> (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfldraft/columnist?id=1541900)</SPAN></FONT></P>

miked1958
12-11-2011, 07:32 PM

Consistently had them deep in the playoffs and made 2 SB appearances.* Tough coach that the players still liked.*

Coughlin's Nov/Dec record is 28-41.* I haven't looked up Cowher's but I'll guarantee you it's better than that.

The team has collapsed down the stretch in 7 of his 8 seasons.* I think the front office is aware of that too.*

2004 - lost 9 of last 11
2006 - lost 6 of last 8
2007 - lost 4 of last 8
2008 - lost 3 of last 4
2009 - lost 8 of last 11
2010 - lost 2 of last 3
2011 - lost 4 of last 4

How can the same team play competitively against San Francisco and Green Bay, and then look disgusting against the Eagles and Seahawks?* Answer:* COACHING.* The good news is they can play like they did against SF and GB.* The bad news is they don't play that way all the time.

This the best Post of the year. It should be copied and pasted into its own thread. More people that are TC lovers need to open their eyes and reading a post/thread like this one could do it.
Well thought out and laid out Sir!!!