PDA

View Full Version : BRANDON JACOBS NOT WILLING TO "SELL MY SOUL" TO STAY WITH GIANTS

RoanokeFan
02-29-2012, 05:35 PM
BRANDON JACOBS NOT WILLING TO "SELL MY SOUL" TO STAY WITH GIANTS (http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/brandon_jacobs_not_willing_to_sell_my_soul_to_stay _with_new_york_giants/10186909)

"The New York Giants and Brandon Jacobs
have been trying to come to an agreement on a reduced salary, but it appears the
sides are far apart.

In a comment to NBC New Yorks Bruce Beck (https://twitter.com/#%21/BruceBeck4NY), Jacobs had <a href="https://twitter.com/#%21/TheBlueScreen/status/174938018971533313" target="_blank">this to say about his contract
situation</a>.</p>
<blockquote>

I want to stay in New York a whole lot,
man, because this is where I started. Its a great organization. I got
wonderful, great teammates, I won a second Super Bowl here with this
organization. But Im not willing to sell my soul, you know? Its a great
organization and I want to be a part of it, but if not, if theyre not feeling
the same way, then so be it.</p></blockquote>

Seems to me that the Giants and Jacobs are
going to have to part ways, which Ive felt was the case all along."</p>

jhamburg
02-29-2012, 05:51 PM
BRANDON JACOBS NOT WILL TO "SELL MY SOUL" TO STAY WITH GIANTS (http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/brandon_jacobs_not_willing_to_sell_my_soul_to_stay _with_new_york_giants/10186909)

have been trying to come to an agreement on a reduced salary, but it appears the
sides are far apart.

In a comment to NBC New Yorks Bruce Beck (https://twitter.com/#%21/BruceBeck4NY), Jacobs had <a href="https://twitter.com/#%21/TheBlueScreen/status/174938018971533313" target="_blank">this to say about his contract
situation</a>.</p>
<blockquote>

He would be a great fit for the Jets (not saying that disrespectfully)

Delicreep
02-29-2012, 05:56 PM
Jacobs needs a chance to see what 31 other teams are willing to pay him in order to get a good sense of his value.

Aside from not getting a lot of calls, he's not likely to get a bunch of monster offers either.

RoanokeFan
02-29-2012, 06:10 PM
Jacobs needs a chance to see what 31 other teams are willing to pay him in order to get a good sense of his value.

Aside from not getting a lot of calls, he's not likely to get a bunch of monster offers either.

I think that's what may be holding things up. As soon as he can test the FA waters he may well see that no team is willing to WOW him with an offer and he'll resume talks with the GIANTS.

sharick88
02-29-2012, 06:18 PM
Jacobs can be replaced. Not sure how many teams will be willing to throw a couple of million dollars for a back up RB. From a business standpoint on his end, it makes perfect sense for him to stay here even if management wants him to cut his salary even 60%

nhpgiantsfan
02-29-2012, 06:28 PM
Question. He can't talk to other teams until he gets released right? So if we release him, and he doesn't get an offer that he really likes, can we resign him at a lower contract. But then we take a cap hit on the release plus whatever we re-sign him for? May end up costing us the same. I'd say he is probably gone unless they can agree on something now.

BlueSanta
02-29-2012, 06:43 PM
Question. He can't talk to other teams until he gets released right? So if we release him, and he doesn't get an offer that he really likes, can we resign him at a lower contract. But then we take a cap hit on the release plus whatever we re-sign him for? May end up costing us the same. I'd say he is probably gone unless they can agree on something now.

This is what I have been saying. Here is my prediction:

1)Come the deadline for his 500k roster bonus(march 8th Ithink?) he will be released rather than the Giants pay it.

2) these forums will erupt with complaints.

3)he will test Free Agency and find the market for not him is not what he wants it to be.

4) The Giants will make an attempt to resign him for less. The only thing that might stop this is if we find someone else in the draft.

But, either way, if we do release BJ please wait out the process and understand that it isnt because we dont want him anymore. There is still a good chance he will resign imho. I just think that 500k roster bonus is going to force our hand because I dont see a deal begin done before then.

NYG4lifeNYK
02-29-2012, 06:45 PM
This sucks to hear.... Jacobs needs to realize his career is coming to an end.. does he want to try and win another ring or take a little more money on a ****ty team?

I love this guy &amp; would LOVE to have him back but I understand if he wants to take more money... not sure how much money he actually needs... signed a $25 million dollar contract... [:^)]

Martyr
02-29-2012, 06:57 PM
This sucks to hear.... Jacobs needs to realize his career is coming to an end.. does he want to try and win another ring or take a little more money on a ****ty team?

I love this guy &amp; would LOVE to have him back but I understand if he wants to take more money... not sure how much money he actually needs... signed a $25 million dollar contract... [:^)]
</P>

Agreed totally sucks, I knew it be a long shot of sorts but if he signs with another team outside of the NFCE all wish him the best</P>

NYG4lifeNYK
02-29-2012, 07:05 PM

</p>

Agreed totally sucks, I knew it be a long shot of sorts<font size="5"> but if he signs with another team outside of the NFCE all wish him the best</font></p>

Absolutely

Oh &amp; thanks as always Roa [B]

hungrrrry
02-29-2012, 07:48 PM
BRANDON JACOBS NOT WILL TO "SELL MY SOUL" TO STAY WITH GIANTS (http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/brandon_jacobs_not_willing_to_sell_my_soul_to_stay _with_new_york_giants/10186909)

"The New York Giants and Brandon Jacobs have been trying to come to an agreement on a reduced salary, but it appears the sides are far apart.

In a comment to NBC New Yorks Bruce Beck (https://twitter.com/#%21/BruceBeck4NY), Jacobs had this to say about his contract situation (https://twitter.com/#%21/TheBlueScreen/status/174938018971533313).</P>
<BLOCKQUOTE>

I want to stay in New York a whole lot, man, because this is where I started. Its a great organization. I got wonderful, great teammates, I won a second Super Bowl here with this organization. But Im not willing to sell my soul, you know? Its a great organization and I want to be a part of it, but if not, if theyre not feeling the same way, then so be it.</P></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seems to me that the Giants and Jacobs are going to have to part ways, which Ive felt was the case all along."</P>I thought so too...Michael Bush is out there, as well as Peyton Hillis in FA...maybe a RB in 2nd or 3rd round...I would go for a more talented RB than Jacobs...his explosion is at 30% at best...run along the line of scrimmage he is horrendous. He does have a nice play every-so-often but not at all often enough. His average per carry has dropped dramaticly the last two seasons...I think his tenure has come to term. No sense bustin' balls over it!

gmen46
02-29-2012, 08:37 PM

I don't know any details of what qualifies as a cap "hit".

But what you describe in your first 2 sentences is exactly what occurred with Rocky Bernard last summer. Giants offered him a restructure in order to remain a Giant. He refused, walked, then returned a week or two later after not getting any better offer (presumably), returned for a much reduced paycheck.

It helped our cap situation, not hurt it. So I'm guessing if your scenario played out it would help our cap situation.

jomo
02-29-2012, 09:05 PM
Jacobs needs a chance to see what 31 other teams are willing to pay him in order to get a good sense of his value. Aside from not getting a lot of calls, he's not likely to get a bunch of monster offers either.

I think that's what may be holding things up. As soon as he can test the FA waters he may well see that no team is willing to WOW him with an offer and he'll resume talks with the GIANTS.
There is always a fool out there ready to overpay for a sexy pick but BJ hasn't been the "it" guy for several years. JR is a smart and shrewd guy. He'll let BJ test the waters and then bring him back to the fold at a much cheaper price. If someone drops a big number on Brandon, I wish him well.

miked1958
02-29-2012, 09:18 PM

sides are far apart.

situation</a>.</p>
<blockquote>

I'd like to see him retire a NY? But not at the expense of overpaying

Blue daddy
02-29-2012, 09:29 PM
You don't know what you have until it's gone. That goes for both sides.

FIFTY6G-MAN
02-29-2012, 09:38 PM
IM TIRED OF BUYING JERSEYS WITH NAMES ON THE BACK. I need to buy jerseys with a velcro attachment for the nameplate. I would make millions myself doing it for every team in the league and selling them. Jacobs needs to stay with us and retire with pride, so i can continue to wear his jersey and whomever takes his # AFTER he retires with US.

buddy33
02-29-2012, 10:02 PM

This is what I have been saying. Here is my prediction:

1)Come the deadline for his 500k roster bonus(march 8th Ithink?) he will be released rather than the Giants pay it.

2) these forums will erupt with complaints.

3)he will test Free Agency and find the market for not him is not what he wants it to be.

4) The Giants will make an attempt to resign him for less. The only thing that might stop this is if we find someone else in the draft.

But, either way, if we do release BJ please wait out the process and understand that it isnt because we dont want him anymore. There is still a good chance he will resign imho. I just think that 500k roster bonus is going to force our hand because I dont see a deal begin done before then.

Sounds about right. I really like him on this team, but there is no way the Giants can afford 2 RB's at $10 million a year. This coming off a season where they where the worst running team in the league.

Honestly I don't know what team would go out of their way to pick him up. He is not an every down back. So if the offers come, and they are not what he thought, maybe he will come back cheap.

foosball
02-29-2012, 10:34 PM
Bye then. I'm sure 500 yards and 3.8 ypc can be found elsewhere.

He was worth the tag when he got it though.. gotta give him that. He was a great back 5 years ago.

FBomb
02-29-2012, 10:49 PM
It sucks but it's not a big shocker. BJ has his rings and he's coming into his final years as a football player and he wants to cash in. Nothing wrong with that.......

JJC7301
03-01-2012, 12:05 AM

I think that's what may be holding things up.* As soon as he can test the FA waters he may well see that no team is willing to WOW him with an offer and he'll resume talks with the GIANTS.

I'd love to see what he and Bradshaw could both do with a better o-line like we used to have. I'd hate to lose either of them.

I'd make sure that we keep BJ around for 1 more year and hopefully a better o-line (either through adding depth or the extra year of playing as a unit). He already said that he'd take less money to stay, but nothing crazy.

JesseJames
03-01-2012, 10:41 AM
I could be wrong about this but I have the feeling that if we had a better run blocking O line we might not be asking Jacobs to take a cut because his numbers would be a lot higher and he would be making a lot more good plays. Too bad for Jacobs that the team is short of cap money or this wouldn't be happening...

ShockeyShow
03-01-2012, 12:02 PM
Love the guy, but not at that price. Maybe it's our O-Line , but he also has to realize that we aren't going to be a team that has two 1,000 yd rushers in a season anytime soon (I hope we do, but let's get real).

We could trade up and get a guy like Monte Ball and be the same, if not better in the run game.

Someone else mentioned Michael Bush. He is, and has been, a beast since his college days at Louisville. We can't expect to win next year with the same formula.....it's just not going to happen.

Darwinism baby...time to evolve

FeaglesPuntsEaglesRunts
03-01-2012, 06:22 PM

I'm sure there are some dumb teams willing to just throw money at him. The Raiders, Redskins, Cowboys, Bengals, Eagles and a few other teams will throw money at basically anything. I don't think BJ will go to a division rival though, he hates those guys.

Either way, he's become one of my favorite players over the past few years, his energy, enthusiasm and willingness to talk **** and back it up seem to motivate the rest of the team.

stormblue
03-01-2012, 09:39 PM
we have already dragged him 2 years longer
than he was worth.
he can no longer stay healthy enough to be the
crusher he once was.and he has lost a step that he barely had to start with.
lets get some cheap fresh legs in here and
stop crying for someone who has earned
millions and millions of dollars.
he got his already , move on people, he ain't
Barry freakin' Sanders.

Harooni
03-01-2012, 09:44 PM
BJ see's himself as an everydown back. let him test the FA waters. i thank him for being a beast and wish him the best, but we have no place to pay him 5-6mill a season.

BigBlue1971
03-01-2012, 09:53 PM
BJ see's himself as an everydown back. let him test the FA waters. i thank him for being a beast and wish him the best, but we have no place to pay him 5-6mill a season.
</P>

</P>

^this i agree with however if BJ thinks he can from anyone get 5-6 mil a year hes badly mistaken imo!</P>

although Jacobs has been a beast for us most of the time, he needs to realize hes aging and tiptoeing through defenses. </P>

those two things i believe will be hishindering. if hes smarthe'll take the Giants offer. </P>

if not good riddance BJ and i share in Haroonis best wishes!</P>

gmen0820
03-01-2012, 10:02 PM
Well see ya later Jacobs, because that was what was required of you to do to stay.

Harooni
03-01-2012, 10:03 PM
</p>

</p>

^this i agree with however if BJ thinks he can from anyone get 5-6 mil a year hes badly mistaken imo!</p>

although Jacobs has been a beast for us most of the time, he needs to realize hes aging and tiptoeing through defenses. </p>

those two things i believe will be hishindering. if hes smarthe'll take the Giants offer. </p>

if not good riddance BJ and i share in Haroonis best wishes!</p>

i dont see him getting that either. and his sell my soul comment is laughable.

JJC7301
03-01-2012, 10:29 PM
BJ see's himself as an everydown back.* let him test the FA waters. i thank him for being a beast and wish him the best, but we have no place to pay him 5-6mill a season.

I'm not saying this so we keep him, but I wouldn't be surprised if a team with cap space like the Eagles pay him the $5 to $6 mil. Maybe even the Jets.

Toadofsteel
03-02-2012, 02:12 AM
BJ see's himself as an everydown back.* let him test the FA waters. i thank him for being a beast and wish him the best, but we have no place to pay him 5-6mill a season.

I'm not saying this so we keep him, but I wouldn't be surprised if a team with cap space like the Eagles pay him the $5 to $6 mil. Maybe even the Jets.

Eagles wouldn't take BJ with LeSean Mccoy around.

I don't think he would want to go to the cowboys himself even if they did want him. I think they're set with Murray anyway.

While he might be a good fit with the Jets, I don't think Rex would want to add more noise to his locker room at this point.

Redskins possibly... he doesn't seem to hate them as much as the cowboys, and they're always seeming to need one thing or another.

buffyblue
03-02-2012, 02:49 AM
Dont think NY Jets would want Brandon Jacobs and dont think he would want them either.

I actually think he goes to New England. They have that beast of an offensive line and he would be a great fit there.

SweetZombieJesus
03-02-2012, 04:18 AM
Always hate to see this part of the game but it's the nature of the beast.

(a) Jacobs is done.
(b) It's not a problem for him to see what else he can get and if he can get a better offer. The difference over Steve Smith is he should be open with the Giants about any offers he gets and not stab the organization in the back.

myles2424
03-02-2012, 05:06 AM
BJ isn't the same.....and he's not worth the $$$,his value right now with our cap situation would be borderline disrespectful....this day of drafting his replacement has been inevitable.....
Another team that needs RB help bad can do BJ more justice than we can.....let him try to squeeze a few more $$ out of the league & we'll search for the future in this draft, win-win no hard feelings..