PDA

View Full Version : Pierre-Paul coming into his own

GiantWarfare
12-06-2011, 03:08 AM
<h3 class="heading">Pierre-Paul coming into his own (http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/12/05/playbook-jpp-shows-his-true-potential/?module=HP11_content_stream)</h3>
Eli Manning received the majority share of praise
when the Giants nearly ended the Packers' unbeaten streak, but DE Jason
Pierre-Paul deserves just as much credit for Big Blue's success.

<h2>Playbook: ‘JPP’ shows his truepotential (http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/12/05/playbook-jpp-shows-his-true-potential/)

</h2>

<div class="post-author-img">http://s0.wp.com/wp-content/themes/vip/nfldotcom/images/authors/thumb_staff.jpg?m=1309109477g (http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/12/05/playbook-jpp-shows-his-true-potential/?module=HP11_content_stream)</div>

<div class="post-author-meta">By NFL Playbook Staff (http://blogs.nfl.com/author/afenelon/) |
<span class="author-position"></span></div>

<p class="post-info">Published: December 5th, 2011 | Tags: Jason Pierre-Paul (http://blogs.nfl.com/tag/jason-pierre-paul/), Justin Tuck (http://blogs.nfl.com/tag/justin-tuck/), New York Giants (http://blogs.nfl.com/tag/new-york-giants/), Playbook (http://blogs.nfl.com/tag/playbook/)</p>

<div class="entry">

<a name="pd_a_5733291"></a>When stats from the Green Bay–New York game (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2011120410/2011/REG13/packers@giants) scrolled across the bottom line of every major sports network this Monday, you saw “Aaron Rodgers: 369 yards, 4 TDs” and then “Eli Manning: 347, 3 TDs”.
</p>

What you didn’t see: Jason Pierre-Paul, three tackles, two quarterback hits and two pass deflections.</p>

Those stats might not be eye-popping, but after watching the coaching tape, it becomes evident that “JPP” and fellow edge rusher Justin Tuck were as much responsible for the Giants hanging in with the undefeated Packers as anyone else.</p>

If the Packers have a weakness on offense, it’s their tackle situation with Marshall Newhouse at left tackle in place of an injured Chad Clifton.
And Pierre-Paul, a second-year player out of South Florida, is only
beginning to tap his playing potential after only one season of major
college football.</p>

He showcased his capabilities against Newhouse. With his long,
6-foot-6 frame, Pierre-Paul used his hands and leverage versus the
Packers’ zone-run scheme, controlling Newhouse at the point of attack
and pushing him into the backfield. The most direct anecdote for a zone
scheme is a defensive end that can get penetration, forcing the running
back to either cut inside or ride the “hump” around an obstructive
corner the defensive end has created.</p>

While Rodgers had tons of passing yards, you can’t put much of the
blame on Pierre-Paul and Tuck, who won a majority of their battles on
the edge and brought consistent pressure on the Packers’ signal caller.
Pierre-Paul, once again, exerted great leverage on Newhouse in his pass
rush, using his enormous wingspan and superb quickness on inside and
outside moves.</p>

<a name="pd_a_5733292"></a>On the Packers’ final drive (http://www.nfl.com/goto?id=09000d5d824c6546), the Giants moved Tuck down to defensive tackle to match him up with another sub, right guard Evan Dietrich-Smith. Lining Pierre-Paul and Osi Umenyiora or Mathias Kiwanuka on the edge dictated that Tuck would get a one-on-one with a less-athletic protector in Dietrich-Smith.
</p>

Watching the tape, we counted two wins for Tuck on Green Bay’s final,
four-play drive against the Packers’ right guard. He showed outstanding
quickness on those rushes; Rodgers just got the ball out quicker.</p>

Nonetheless, theses are the kinds of things you see on tape that give
you a greater appreciation for how a pass rushing duo can impact a
game.</p></div>

egyptian420
12-06-2011, 03:45 AM
It's scary that he's this good in his sophomore year....this kid could be the next Strahan when he's a veteran

buddy33
12-06-2011, 09:18 AM
Hopefully the coaching staff realizes their mistake and they leave him be even when Osi comes back if he even does this year. Osi should not start over JPP. He should give him a breather and that's about it.

Same thing goes for Center. Keep Boothe at Center. They do better with him playing. Also, I thought Petrus did good. They should stick to that line up for now. This past game was their best of the year running it seemed.

SIMMS5611
12-06-2011, 09:22 AM
No sack-dances, no posturing. Seems like a good kid. Hopefully he'll keep a good head on his shoulders. The dude has got a wingspan like a pteradactyl...<IFRAME id=dclkAdsFrameID_24461 height=90 marginHeight=0 src="about:blank" frameBorder=0 width=728 allowTransparency name=dclkAdsFrameName_24461 marginWidth=0 scrolling=no></IFRAME><SPAN id=query_h1 class=query_h1><FONT size=6></FONT></SPAN>

AGiantDynasty
12-06-2011, 01:03 PM
Time to eat my crow..

I HATED this draft pick. Not because of the player JPP is, but I hated his lack of experience for one and just thought going LB or OL was the better choice that year..

Boy was I wrong. This guy is an absolute freak. I have never seen such an inexperienced player learn so fast and use his natural gifts as effectively.

You can see potential HoF'er written all over this kid. The thing I love the most is how diverse he seems to be. Strength, speed, agility, good at rushing the passer, making tackles and swatting balls down.

What cant he do outside of coverage responsibilities?

If crow tastes this good, I might have to dine on it more regularly.

jhamburg
12-06-2011, 01:52 PM
Time to eat my crow..

I HATED this draft pick.* Not because of the player JPP is, but I hated his lack of experience for one and just thought going LB or OL was the better choice that year..

Boy was I wrong.* This guy is an absolute freak.* I have never seen such an inexperienced player learn so fast and use his natural gifts as effectively.

You can see potential HoF'er written all over this kid.* The thing I love the most is how diverse he seems to be.* Strength, speed, agility, good at rushing the passer, making tackles and swatting balls down.

What cant he do outside of coverage responsibilities?*

If crow tastes this good, I might have to dine on it more regularly.*

I hated the pick too. I don't think there was any pick we could have made at that point that I would have hated more than that one.

But what none of us knew at the time was the extreme level of effort that JPP was willing to put in on the field and at learning his craft.

I remember even seeing some borderline racist threads about how Haitian players tend to be lazy and JPP would end up like William Joseph. Could that possibly have been more wrong?

TroyArcher
12-06-2011, 01:56 PM
I guess they should have moved Tuck inside earleir in the game. JPP is already there.

ny06
12-06-2011, 01:57 PM
Time to eat my crow..

I HATED this draft pick. Not because of the player JPP is, but I hated his lack of experience for one and just thought going LB or OL was the better choice that year..

Boy was I wrong. This guy is an absolute freak. I have never seen such an inexperienced player learn so fast and use his natural gifts as effectively.

You can see potential HoF'er written all over this kid. The thing I love the most is how diverse he seems to be. Strength, speed, agility, good at rushing the passer, making tackles and swatting balls down.

I hated the pick too. I don't think there was any pick we could have made at that point that I would have hated more than that one. But what none of us knew at the time was the extreme level of effort that JPP was willing to put in on the field and at learning his craft. I remember even seeing some borderline racist threads about how Haitian players tend to be lazy and JPP would end up like William Joseph. Could that possibly have been more wrong?</P>

I liked the pick. </P>

Living in the Tampa area (moved here from NY few years ago) I got to see JPP play at USF. </P>

I remember watching him play and was like this guy is a freak on the field. relentless, huge wingspan, strong and quick off the ball. And then the announcers were saying he has only played football for a year. The first thing that came to my mind was this guy will be a force once he figures the game of football out. </P>

I think many fans were mad because he was a boom or bust type player. They didn't know what to expect from him. </P>

</P>

nhpgiantsfan
12-06-2011, 07:21 PM
I love how the guy who wrote this article doesn't even realized that Osi didn't play in this weeks game.</P>

But yes, JPP is a beast. I look forward to watching him grow into his prime.</P>

M0rbid
12-06-2011, 07:52 PM
We're lucky Eagles didn't draft him before us. Now they're stuck with Brandon "bust" Graham.

fourth&forever
12-06-2011, 08:40 PM
JPP's the bomb

gmen46
12-06-2011, 09:19 PM
Time to eat my crow..

I HATED this draft pick.* Not because of the player JPP is, but I hated his lack of experience for one and just thought going LB or OL was the better choice that year..

Boy was I wrong.* This guy is an absolute freak.* I have never seen such an inexperienced player learn so fast and use his natural gifts as effectively.

You can see potential HoF'er written all over this kid.* The thing I love the most is how diverse he seems to be.* Strength, speed, agility, good at rushing the passer, making tackles and swatting balls down.

To your point about his diversity, he's already made at least a half dozen outrageous plays you would not necessarily expect from a good DE.

Like that stop of the Saints' fake field goal play end of the second half. That was simply incredible, coming from the other side of the line to not only catch him and prevent the TD, but he prevented the first down, which I'm sure was the MINIMUM Payton expected from the play. Outstanding play.

After 1 season and 12 games, JPP has 9.5 more sacks than did Strahan after his first 2 full seasons.

Plus, indications are we will see more swatted passes (a few for interceptions perhaps) and blocked or tipped FGs than we've ever seen from a Giants team before, due to this guy.

Pray for his good health. This guy is going to terrorize teams for a long time.

Screw free agents. All those on this board who love to vilify Reese for his FA acquisitions can kiss my ***. JPP, Nicks, Cruz, Bradshaw--alone--justify respect for Reese's game.

AGiantDynasty
12-06-2011, 09:45 PM
Time to eat my crow..

I hated the pick too. I don't think there was any pick we could have made at that point that I would have hated more than that one. But what none of us knew at the time was the extreme level of effort that JPP was willing to put in on the field and at learning his craft. I remember even seeing some borderline racist threads about how Haitian players tend to be lazy and JPP would end up like William Joseph. Could that possibly have been more wrong?</p>

I think many fans were mad because he was a boom or bust type player. They didn't know what to expect from him. </p>

</p>

It had nothing to do with him being a boom or bust player. Fans hated the pick because it ignored positions we desperately needed help at and favored a player in a position that was by far already our strongest position on the team.

The hate of the pick had ZERO to do with JPP and all laid on the fact that we drafted another DE.

jhamburg
12-07-2011, 01:17 AM
Time to eat my crow..

I hated the pick too. I don't think there was any pick we could have made at that point that I would have hated more than that one. But what none of us knew at the time was the extreme level of effort that JPP was willing to put in on the field and at learning his craft. I remember even seeing some borderline racist threads about how Haitian players tend to be lazy and JPP would end up like William Joseph. Could that possibly have been more wrong?</p>

I think many fans were mad because he was a boom or bust type player. They didn't know what to expect from him. </p>

*</p>

It had nothing to do with him being a boom or bust player.* Fans hated the pick because it ignored positions we desperately needed help at and favored a player in a position that was by far already our strongest position on the team.

The hate of the pick had ZERO to do with JPP and all laid on the fact that we drafted another DE.*

Nah, I have a really good memory and I don't think you realize how much people on here hated JPP as a prospect. People would rather have us draft like 4 other DEs before JPP.

There were threads about how he was just a workout warrior, not enough production, making fun of his backflip video, I remember a number of people saying JPP was the number one player who they DIDN'T want the giants to draft.

Someone also posted a football outsiders article about a formula they used to determine the likelihood of a pass rusher bust, which dinged players for things like missed games, being a junior college transfer, being a one-year wonder, etc. Since all of these things applied to Jason-Pierre Paul, it projected him to be a horrible bust and have 4 career sacks in the NFL.

Gianthunter
12-07-2011, 01:48 AM
Plain and simple folks. There was never a body of work for the fans to compare him with. It is what it is.

LT_was_good
12-07-2011, 09:47 AM
We're lucky Eagles didn't draft him before us. Now they're stuck with Brandon "bust" Graham.

If anyone is ever feeling down about the team, or just needs a good laugh, go to the Eagles boards and look for Graham/JPP threads. Good times.

Redeyejedi
12-07-2011, 10:10 AM
Time to eat my crow..

Boy was I wrong. This guy is an absolute freak.<FONT size=5> I have never seen such an inexperienced player learn so fast and use his natural gifts as effectively.

</FONT>You can see potential HoF'er written all over this kid. The thing I love the most is how diverse he seems to be. Strength, speed, agility, good at rushing the passer, making tackles and swatting balls down.

I thought he would take 2 years however U can not discount all the snaps he got last year because of Mathias Kiwanuka being injured. Kiwis injury excelled his growth as JPP got used to the speed of the game for much of the first 10 games. If u remember he was ineffective for most of the season. All of a sudden in the Jax game the guy came alive and hasnt stopped wreaking havoc.If Kiwi doesnt get hurt he doesnt get to work out the kinks

JMFP2
12-07-2011, 10:40 AM

If anyone is ever feeling down about the team, or just needs a good laugh, go to the Eagles boards and look for Graham/JPP threads. Good times.
</P>

Yeah....those are pretty funny.</P>

At this point, there isn't a defender in the NFL- including Revis - that I would trade JPP for.</P>

gumby742
12-07-2011, 10:41 AM
Time to eat my crow..

I hated the pick too. I don't think there was any pick we could have made at that point that I would have hated more than that one. But what none of us knew at the time was the extreme level of effort that JPP was willing to put in on the field and at learning his craft. I remember even seeing some borderline racist threads about how Haitian players tend to be lazy and JPP would end up like William Joseph. Could that possibly have been more wrong?</P>

I liked the pick. </P>

Living in the Tampa area (moved here from NY few years ago) I got to see JPP play at USF. </P>

I remember watching him play and was like this guy is a freak on the field. relentless, huge wingspan, strong and quick off the ball. And then the announcers were saying he has only played football for a year. The first thing that came to my mind was this guy will be a force once he figures the game of football out. </P>

I think many fans were mad because he was a boom or bust type player. They didn't know what to expect from him. </P>

</P>

</P>

Personally i hated the pick. I don't like drafting projects in general. But obviously now I'm glad we did pick him.</P>

JMFP2
12-07-2011, 10:49 AM
Time to eat my crow..

</P>

It had nothing to do with him being a boom or bust player. Fans hated the pick because it ignored positions we desperately needed help at and favored a player in a position that was by far already our strongest position on the team.

The hate of the pick had ZERO to do with JPP and all laid on the fact that we drafted another DE.

</P>

FWIW, I was curious about the JPP pick, but not down on it. Like most people, I've been waiting for the Giants to draft an impact linebacker. However, going into the draft, Graham and JPP (and a couple other players) were all scouted to go right in the Giants range.</P>

Roland McClain was gone before the Giants selected, so that never factored as an option for them.</P>

So, when Reese drafted him, it didn't take me by surprise. And even then, he was touted as a physical freak with an unknown ceiling. The question was about his lack of experience in the game - which was a valid concern.</P>

Honestly, I was optimistic about the pick. I do recall some professional analysts that panned it as a "project", and "one dimensional" but they said the same about Kiwi, and therefore, I didn't place much stock in it.</P>

As much as everyone goofs on Mel Kiper, he liked the pick alot, and he knows his stuff.</P>

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5127276</P>

</P>