PDA

View Full Version : PFF - TEAM NEEDS 2012...NEW YORK GIANTS

RoanokeFan
03-01-2012, 08:22 PM
TEAM NEEDS 2012...NEW YORK GIANTS (http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/03/01/team-needs-2012-new-york-giants/)

"

http://www.profootballfocus.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/help-wanted-nyg.gif (http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/03/01/team-needs-2012-new-york-giants/)</p>

After winning the Super Bowl youíd forgive the New York
Giants for putting their feet up and relaxing. After all they built a
roster that won the big one, beating the incumbent Packers and AFC Champion
Patriots on their way to a remarkable victory.</p>

However, this is an NFL where if youíre not getting better youíre getting
worse. The Giants do have a number of areas to improve on if theyíre to repeat
and not fall away as they did the last time they won a Super Bowl. Given what
they were able to do this year, without a big free agency and limited
contributions from their draft class, you wouldnít bank on the Giants being big
players. Moving forward itís time to look at some of their problem positions,
and some possible moves to rectify them.
</p>

<span style="COLOR: #008000; FONT-SIZE: medium">Primary Need:
Guard</span></p>

We can argue with people until weíre blue in the face, but the tape really
doesnít lie. David Diehl (<span style="COLOR: #ff0000">-58.1</span>) is an accident waiting to
happen. With Will Beatty(<span style="COLOR: #ff0000">-1.2</span>) back at left tackle after
an eye injury, Diehl is likely to be the default left guard again. This is
something that is likely to make the job of Eli Manning harder
than it perhaps needs to be. In addition to doing a horrible job with his run
blocking, Diehl was playing on skates most of the year in pass protection
(unless of course the Giants were giving him help). He rather incredibly managed
to finish last in our Pass Blocking Efficiency rankings at two positions, so
just think how much cleaner Manningís uniform will be with an upgrade at LG?</p>

The Giants donít have much room to make any big moves, and may opt to give
Mitch Petrus (<span style="COLOR: #ff0000">-5.4</span>) more snaps. Yet, that kind
of approach could come back to haunt them, and so it seems a position the Giants
could attack in the draft. Realistically, looking at the cap situation and given
the Giants history, there isnít a player available who you could see them making
a move for. It does stand to reason though, if Evan Mathis
(<span style="COLOR: #008000">+34.6</span><span style="COLOR: #ff0000"><span style="COLOR: #000000">)</span></span> doesnít find
the kind of market he deserves, the G-Men could be one of the teams looking to
swoop in for a bargain.
</p>

<span style="COLOR: #008000; FONT-SIZE: medium">Secondary Need: Right
Tackle</span></p>

Watching Kareem McKenzie (<span style="COLOR: #008000">+23.6</span>) in 2010 you were seeing a
guy who could rightfully say he was the best right tackle in all of football.
Fast forward a year and youíre looking at the worst (<span style="COLOR: #ff0000">-33.2</span>). Thatís the kind of
dropoff in play of a man that was drafted back in 2001. Due to turn 33 in May,
McKenzie is at that age where your play can nosedive, and itís alarming just how
bad he was at the end of the season (his last six games all earned negative
grades). Looking cumbersome and struggling to dominate at the point of attack,
the Giants have to accept that theyíve possibly seen the best from McKenzie and
need look towards finding his successor.</p>

One player that is likely to be available is Geoff Schwartz
who missed all of 2011.The restricted free agent could be
tendered by the Panthers, but if a new coaching staff who hasnít had him on the
field opts to sever ties, then Schwartz could be one of the bargain free agents
available. A secret superstar of the 2010 season (<span style="COLOR: #008000">+12.3</span>), he has the ability to
play both tackle and guard, and excel at either spot. This is a solid example of
a low-risk prospect with a big upside thatís available for an astute team.
</p>

<span style="COLOR: #008000; FONT-SIZE: medium">Tertiary Need: Slot
Cornerback</span></p>

While Antrel Rolle (<span style="COLOR: #ff0000">-21.4</span>) is a lot of things, one
thing he isnít, is a slot cornerback. In fact, the more you look at the Giantsí
roster the more you see this as a glaring hole. Rolle gave up the 9th most yards
from the slot and struggled to cope with the demands of combining his safety
role with matching up with those shifty slot receivers. The Giants would
obviously like to move Rolle back to full time safety, but who do they place in
the slot? Aaron Ross(<span style="COLOR: #ff0000">-1.2</span>) has played that role but it
says a lot about him that he was moved from that spot after struggling. The
other question is can Terrell Thomas return from a preseason
injury, provided the Giants do indeed re-sign him.</p>

With plenty of question marks, finding a capable slot cornerback should be
high up on the Giants priorities given how big a part of offenses the slot
receiver is. There are plenty of cornerbacks available, but with Corey
Webster and Prince Amukamara on the roster they donít
need to spend big on an every down CB. Instead, looking for some value the
Giants could turn their attentions to special teams ace Corey Graham
(<span style="COLOR: #008000">+3.4</span>) who flashed
ability when replacing D.J. Moore, or Chris
Carr who was excellent in 2010 before finding himself on the outs a
year later. There is talent at this spot that can be had for very little cost in
an upgrade.</p>

dave56dj
03-01-2012, 08:30 PM
Carr was just released by the Ravens today - in 09/10 he was one of their best corners and then signed a big contract - but with Webb and SMith on the rise Carr's new contract became fat. Not saying we need him but he is a guy who excels in the slot - although i expect the giants to test out Prince/ T2 and then back him up with Tryon in this role. Thats of course if they sign em both and apparently talks seem to be going well.

gmen0820
03-01-2012, 08:39 PM
Evan Mathis and Jason Peters probably formed the best left side in football last year.

TheEnigma
03-01-2012, 08:42 PM
Evan Mathis would be nice but after his great season, I don't know if we can afford him with everything else going on.

JJC7301
03-01-2012, 10:50 PM
Am I wrong, but didn't the secondary play much better the last 6 or 7 games of the year with Rolle and Ross and even Prince, and once Osi had come back to add pressure on the QB?

Good chance that the o-line breaks this year if not strengthened, but I'm not convinced that it can't be improved from within. I think Petrus could be a pretty good starter, and Boothe was solid. The FO is high on Brewer, I believe, but I'm not crazy about Beatty and I don't believe in him. Diehl -- I do not let him start next year. He needs to come back as a back-up.

NYG4ME
03-01-2012, 11:13 PM
Am I wrong, but didn't the secondary play much better the last 6 or 7 games of the year with Rolle and Ross and even Prince, and once Osi had come back to add pressure on the QB?

Good chance that the o-line breaks this year if not strengthened, but I'm not convinced that it can't be improved from within. I think Petrus could be a pretty good starter, and Boothe was solid. The FO is high on Brewer, I believe, but I'm not crazy about Beatty and I don't believe in him. Diehl -- I do not let him start next year. He needs to come back as a back-up.

Prince did an OUTSTANDING job in the falcon game. He played well v.s. Julio Jones.

BlueSanta
03-01-2012, 11:30 PM
While I do agree with the article assessment of our Oline play, I dont get how TE isnt a need. Again, we have ZERO TEs on the roster for starting day.

Toadofsteel
03-02-2012, 01:10 AM
I think that we can pick up a TE late in the draft or sign an older veteran to a 1-year deal. The Giants don't have as much need of a catching TE as Eli can make anyone a good receiver (even Hynoski!), meaning that even without MM we can get Jernigan and Barden in on some 3-4 WR sets and play those instead of multiple TE sets. As long as we keep Pascoe and pick up some bargain depth, we can at least hold on until Ballard and/or Beckum are healed.

The O-line is far more important, as it was the primary reason for a crap run-game in 2011. Plus, extra time in the pocket will mean Eli could throw to your grandmother and complete the pass.

BlueSanta
03-02-2012, 01:18 AM
I think that we can pick up a TE late in the draft or sign an older veteran to a 1-year deal. The Giants don't have as much need of a catching TE as Eli can make anyone a good receiver (even Hynoski!), meaning that even without MM we can get Jernigan and Barden in on some 3-4 WR sets and play those instead of multiple TE sets. As long as we keep Pascoe and pick up some bargain depth, we can at least hold on until Ballard and/or Beckum are healed.

The O-line is far more important, as it was the primary reason for a crap run-game in 2011. Plus, extra time in the pocket will mean Eli could throw to your grandmother and complete the pass.

Again, we have NO TEs. Yes we can pick 1 up, but that doesnt make it less of a need.

At every position on the team we have a guy to play next year, except 1. They may be mediocre players, but they are players on the roster.

So again, how can this article claim to have any knowledge if it leaves that position off their list.

Toadofsteel
03-02-2012, 01:36 AM
Is pascoe a FA? I forget...

BlueSanta
03-02-2012, 02:07 AM
yes
Beckum is our only TE under contract and he wont be ready until mid season, if at all.

nygsb42champs
03-02-2012, 08:03 AM
I do not see guard as a primary need. Petrus played well last year when he was in there. He gave them that physical type of play. Where is the need at TE on his list? We have none on our roster.