PDA

View Full Version : NEW YORK GIANTS FREE AGENCY: TARGET - OG BEN GRUBBS

RoanokeFan
03-02-2012, 01:30 PM
NEW YORK GIANTS FREE AGENCY: TARGET - OG BEN GRUBBS (http://www.bigblueview.com/2012/3/2/2838727/new-york-giants-free-agency-target-og-ben-grubbs)

""Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in." That
magical quote, in case you don't know, was from The Godfather III. Michael
Corleone had the misconceived notion that he was out of the Mafia for good.
Little did he know that fate had other plans in store for him. The same applies
for you guys. Just when we finished up one series of Free Agency, we start
another - only this one is geared towards who is out there that would be a good
fit for the New York Giants (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/new-york-giants).
Mike Farley began this series yesterday (http://www.bigblueview.com/2012/3/1/2835918/giants-potential-free-agent-te-fred-davis). Today, we continue. Pay attention now. There
will be a test afterwards.
<div id="col-content" class="col col-content"><div id="entries" class="entries"><div class="grid_8 entry "><div class="entry-body">

We have already established that the Giants do not have a lot of money to
work with in this offseason. There are some definite cutbacks that have to be
made. In doing so, there will be some rather large holes to fill that will
effect this team for years to come. Big Blue has been synonymous with the
running game for, what seems like, an eternity. That simply was not the case
this past season. As I touched on in the first episode of BBV-TV (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oljn6AFsT1o), the
reason for the lack of a running game in the 2011 regular season was partially
due to the backs and the offensive line.</p>

Hitting the free agency this offseason is twelve-year veteran, Kareem
McKenzie. It is becoming more of a lucid reality that McKenzie will most likely
be cut. That leaves some very large shoes to fill. The most important thing for
this Giants regime is to meet the primary needs of the team, in order to be
successful and defend their shiny, new Lombardi Trophy. Right now, there is no
need greater than that of the offensive line. Without a solid replacement for
McKenzie, Eli Manning's (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/2235/eli-manning)
Iron Man Streak is as good as gone.</p>
<p class="extend-divide"><a name="storyjump"></a>http://cdn1.sbnation.com/images/blog/star-divide.v5e9d7f1.jpg</p>

The New York Giants' offensive line went through a number of shifts
throughout the 2011 season. With Rich Seubert (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/2250/rich-seubert)
and Shaun O'Hara (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/2242/shaun-o-hara)
given their walking papers at the start of training camp, it was a necessary
evil. Despite injuries and player shuffles, the line did seemingly well.
However, there were some major differences. In 2010, the o-line gave up sixteen
sacks and fifty-two quarterback hits. Last season, the line gave up twenty-eight
sacks and seventy-two hits on Manning. A great Diehl of that came from the left
side. "Let's get rid of him, too." That is not the answer.</p>

If this theoretical scenario plays out and Kareem McKenzie gets the boot, who
is going to fill his slot? Stacy Andrews (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/2557/stacy-andrews)
is listed as the backup right tackle. Andrews was signed late last season in a
desperate attempt to patch up the offensive line. He wound up proving, as in
seasons past, that he is a magnet for injury. This time, however, he was
sidelined due to health issues, not a physical injury. Andrews is also hitting
the free agency market. Re-sign him? That's not the way to go. Getting back to
the question, who fills in for McKenzie - in this scenario, we would play
"musical linesman" once again. Here we go.</p>

The one guy who was most versatile on the o-line last season was Kevin Boothe (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/3290/kevin-boothe).
His size, speed and ability parallel <a class="sbn-auto-link" href="http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/2236/kareem-mckenzie">Kareem
McKenzie's</a>. Shuffle Boothe to fill in for McKenzie. This move makes good
sense, as he has played this position before and seems to adapt well wherever
you place him. What to do with Double D? Shuffle Diehl back to where he plays
best, left tackle. Diehl is very intelligent. He is a true team player and he
doesn't become a free agent until 2014. He is not going anywhere. "Who fills in
for Diehl?" Enter my targeted free agent.</p>

For this one, we travel down to Baltimore to scout out one of the league's
best offensive linesman. Last season, he earned his first trip to the Pro Bowl.
With price tags that guys like Ray Lewis (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/1406/ray-lewis) are
commanding, the chance of Ben Grubbs (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/16637/ben-grubbs) not
getting the money he wants are favorable. Yes, Grubbs will be looking for a
nice, juicy contract. But it is highly unlikely that he will be able to snag the
bloated deal that McKenzie was getting with Big Blue. McKenzie had a reported
seven-year deal at thirty-seven and a half-million bucks. Grubbs' contract,
which is over and done with, was a five year contract at eight-million
smackeroonies.</p>

In case you didn't realize, the New York Giants' stock just went through the
roof. They beat the best of the best to get to the Super Bowl. They came out
victorious for the second time in four years. Eli Manning proved to be one of
the absolute, top-rate quarterbacks in the NFL. Plus, they have a real nifty
stadium that still has that new smell. The allure to play for the reigning Super
Bowl champs that have a good chance at repeating is quite hard to resist.
Throwing some money at Grubbs would not only be an extremely smart move to make,
it would be an investment that would pay dividends for years to come.</p>

Ben Grubbs will be going into his sixth-year in the NFL. He is a six-foot,
three-inch - three-hundred and ten-pound, natural left guard. The Giants need a
new addition to the left side. Grubbs is the ideal candidate for the job. The
scenario would be Kevin Boothe at right tackle, Chris Snee (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/2256/chris-snee) at
right guard, David Baas (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/2069/david-baas) at
center, Ben Grubbs at left guard and David Diehl (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/2214/david-diehl) at
left tackle. That's a very solid line. It would also bring the age factor down a
bit.</p>

To bring Grubbs in would require careful structuring of a multi-million
dollar deal. But there are plenty of players sitting around on this team,
earning a decent sized paycheck, that could be cut in order to make such a deal
possible. There will undoubtedly be some free agents who walk this offseason.
Some of them are making a decent dollar.</p>

There are a few key positions that absolutely, positively need some
experienced players acquired and thrown into the Big Blue mix. With the
possibility of Kareem McKenzie flying the coop, the offensive line is, more than
likely, the single, biggest need. After all, the Giants have proved to be a
high, flying aerial attack team over the last few years. Someone has to protect
Eli Manning. Ben Grubbs is like All-State Insurance. Manning would be in very
good hands.</p></div></div></div></div>

MattMeyerBud
03-02-2012, 01:33 PM
great job roaky - but these guys are crazy

Why would we sign somebody when we have Petrus?

And if we didn't feel comfortable with Petrus, why wouldn't we just keep Boothe at guard and try to sign a RT?

Or why wouldn't we just move Diehl to RT and Beatty to LT

i can't see this signing at all. No way we go for a guard

giantman8493
03-02-2012, 01:37 PM
To further improving the youth of the line, cut deihl and use beatty at LT

TheEnigma
03-02-2012, 01:39 PM
I'd be ecstatic if we could somehow land Grubbs since he would automatically become our best starter but I think Reese is going to hope on Petrus getting better and relying on Boothe for quality depth.

The Tackle position is the one I worry about. Diehl and Kmac played like poop last season and are getting too much money as is. I think we cut Kmac and ask Diehl to take a paycut and a backup spot behind both Beatty and Petrus or we let him walk.

If the Giants acquire OL in FA or the draft, I think it'll be guys who can offer versatility in G and T.

GameTime
03-02-2012, 01:51 PM
To further improving the youth of the line, cut deihl and use beatty at LT</P>

why cut Diehl???</P>

</P>

</P>

MattMeyerBud
03-02-2012, 01:53 PM
I'd be ecstatic if we could somehow land Grubbs since he would automatically become our best starter but I think Reese is going to hope on Petrus getting better and relying on Boothe for quality depth.

The Tackle position is the one I worry about. Diehl and Kmac played like poop last season and are getting too much money as is. I think we cut Kmac and ask Diehl to take a paycut and a backup spot behind both Beatty and Petrus or we let him walk.

If the Giants acquire OL in FA or the draft, I think it'll be guys who can offer versatility in G and T.

personally if we were to cut Snee and sign Grubbs i'd be for it. Snee had an awful year this year, don't know why nobody mentions it.

smashndash715
03-02-2012, 01:57 PM
i think people really seem to overrate snee..i dont want to cut him like you said..but i get what your saying

smashndash715

personally if we were to cut Snee and sign Grubbs i'd be for it. Snee had an awful year this year, don't know why nobody mentions it.

i think people really seem to overrate snee..i dont want to cut him like you said..but i get what your saying

ny06
I don't understand this at all. </P>

I think Boothe has earned the starting job at guard. Also I don't want him moved to right tackle. He is best used in the interior of the line. </P>

McKenzie is a free agent and his best years are behind him, he has been a rock for the right tackle position for the past 7 seasons. </P>

I think it's time to see what James Brewer has to offer. He was inactive pretty much all season. </P>

As for Diehl, either he takes a pay cut or we let him go. We have Beatty at the left tackle position. </P>

</P>

TheEnigma
03-02-2012, 01:58 PM

True but his season wasn't statistically as worse as Diehl and Kmac plus as I'm sure you know, Guards aren't as important or valuable. Considering this was his first bad season, I'm willing to chalk it up to a one time thing and hope he returns to form next season.

Diehl has been regressing for awhile and Kmac went from being the best RT in football to the worst.

jhamburg
03-02-2012, 02:10 PM

Because cutting a guy who's been outstanding his whole career because of one bad injury plagued season is insane?

MattMeyerBud
03-02-2012, 02:21 PM

True but his season wasn't statistically as worse as Diehl and Kmac plus as I'm sure you know, Guards aren't as important or valuable. Considering this was his first bad season, I'm willing to chalk it up to a one time thing and hope he returns to form next season.

Diehl has been regressing for awhile and Kmac went from being the best RT in football to the worst.

true, but Diehls cap hit is 3.8 this year and 4.0 next year while Snee is 7.7 this year and 8.7 next year

Snee had just as bad of a season as anybody else.

Boothe was our best lineman this year

MattMeyerBud
03-02-2012, 02:24 PM

Because cutting a guy who's been outstanding his whole career because of one bad injury plagued season is insane?

My point was that would be the only way signing Grubbs would be a good idea is if we let Snee go...

and I said i don't know why nobody mentions how bad of a year Snee had. I didn't say i don't know why nobody says we shouldn't cut Snee

nygsb42champs
03-02-2012, 02:25 PM
I like the idea of signing Grubbs. Move Diehl back to LT. I am not sold on Beatty. When he was in there last year what did he really do to give you the confidence that he could play LT. On top of that we are not going to have McKenzie back. Are you really comfortable with Beatty at LT and a new RT protecting our franchise?

jhamburg
03-02-2012, 02:31 PM

My point was that would be the only way signing Grubbs would be a good idea is if we let Snee go...

and I said i don't know why nobody mentions how bad of a year Snee had. I didn't say i don't know why nobody says we shouldn't cut Snee

Still cutting Snee would be terrible. The guy has been awesome and consistent his whole career and plays hurt and we cut him? You can't do business like that. If he had some long term degenerative condition maybe, but he could easily bounce right back and be as good as ever.

MattMeyerBud
03-02-2012, 02:34 PM
nobody is saying to cut snee...

and snees woes started in the preseason not sure when he actually got injured

Snee is just as deserving of restructuring as anybody else this year.

TheEnigma
03-02-2012, 02:36 PM

true, but Diehls cap hit is 3.8 this year and 4.0 next year while Snee is 7.7 this year and 8.7 next year

Snee had just as bad of a season as anybody else.*

I think with the exception of this year, Snee really has deserved that kind of money with his outstanding play beginning in the 2007 season to be specific. He was a major part in our running game doing as great as it did. Now he was injured this year and you do have to wonder if playing with a new Center had any effect on him but even then, I think he just had an anomaly year.

Diehl was THE worst ranked LT this year and while I love David the person, I'm scared to bring him in next season and watch him protect Eli's blindside. It was a miracle Eli got through this season as is.

Boothe was our best linemen and I wouldn't mind seeing him at either guard or center spot but he does have snapping issues. For whatever reason though, they (the Giants coaches) don't see him as a starter.

As for why Diehl and Kmac get more of the flack, it's simple. The O-line is hard enough for the average fan to watch and analyze what went down. The Tackles on the outside are easier to notice make mistakes and get more of the glory but at the same time, boos and hate.

Instead of signing Grubbs which is unrealistic, I'm hoping that the G/T Cordy Glenn from Georgia slips down to #32 or we trade up a little if he is still available around 28 or so. He played every position on the OL except C with a 6'5', 345 lb body and ran a 4.86 at the combine. That's a heck of an athlete and someone I'd love to see on this line.

MattMeyerBud
03-02-2012, 02:43 PM

Snee had just as bad of a season as anybody else.

I think with the exception of this year, Snee really has deserved that kind of money with his outstanding play beginning in the 2007 season to be specific. He was a major part in our running game doing as great as it did. Now he was injured this year and you do have to wonder if playing with a new Center had any effect on him but even then, I think he just had an anomaly year.

Diehl was THE worst ranked LT this year and while I love David the person, I'm scared to bring him in next season and watch him protect Eli's blindside. It was a miracle Eli got through this season as is.

Boothe was our best linemen and I wouldn't mind seeing him at either guard or center spot but he does have snapping issues. For whatever reason though, they (the Giants coaches) don't see him as a starter.

As for why Diehl and Kmac get more of the flack, it's simple. The O-line is hard enough for the average fan to watch and analyze what went down. The Tackles on the outside are easier to notice make mistakes and get more of the glory but at the same time, boos and hate.

Instead of signing Grubbs which is unrealistic, I'm hoping that the G/T Cordy Glenn from Georgia slips down to #32 or we trade up a little if he is still available around 28 or so. He played every position on the OL except C with a 6'5', 345 lb body and ran a 4.86 at the combine. That's a heck of an athlete and someone I'd love to see on this line.

well we'll see. if he has another year like he had this year for next year then there is a REALLY good chance that he is cut. His cap number may be even more next year if he restructures this year.

yea thats true aout the differences with guards and tackles to the average fan.

Yea Grubbs is ridiculous. If we were going to throw money at the OLine, it should be to the tackle position

TheEnigma
03-02-2012, 02:56 PM
Agree with everything you said. Though I could see him staying even if he did have another bad year. Arguably, he was the best and most consistent player on this team until this year with his downfall and Eli's legendary season of comeback wins. There's also the fact he is Coughlin's son in law lol.

MattMeyerBud
03-02-2012, 02:59 PM
Agree with everything you said. Though I could see him staying even if he did have another bad year. Arguably, he was the best and most consistent player on this team until this year with his downfall and Eli's legendary season of comeback wins. There's also the fact he is Coughlin's son in law lol.

2 years is a lifetime in the NFL though...

lol im sure Snee would re-do his deal if the Giants were really about to cu thim..

or maybe he'd take the opportunity to stop working for his father in law lol

TheEnigma
03-02-2012, 03:06 PM

lol im sure Snee would re-do his deal if the Giants were really about to cu thim..

True but as you know, the Giants are a REALLY loyal franchise to players who have played tremendously well. It could go either way in that hypothetical scenario.I think Snee has around 3-5 more years in the tank at best and retires as a Giant.

Either way, we need to grab a guy or two in the draft if we can but only if they make sense at that spot and we aren't reaching.

Kruunch
03-02-2012, 03:07 PM
RF: I think you need to put "ARTICLE:" in front of the title. Seems a little misleading.

I've heard more strategically sound points on these boards then that article addresses.

P.S. - Boothe got killed at RT last year against the Cowboys and no mention of James Brewer or the draft?

nhpgiantsfan
03-02-2012, 03:36 PM
Why do people keep calling Boothe "quality depth". Why does anyone think that Petrus should start over Boothe. He was the only bright spot on our offensive line this year. He is starting next year. You can write that down.

MattMeyerBud
03-02-2012, 03:54 PM
Why do people keep calling Boothe "quality depth". Why does anyone think that Petrus should start over Boothe. He was the only bright spot on our offensive line this year. He is starting next year. You can write that down.

because when Petrus got in our line looked just as good

jhamburg
03-02-2012, 04:03 PM
Why do people keep calling Boothe "quality depth".* Why does anyone think that Petrus should start over Boothe.* He was the only bright spot on our offensive line this year.* He is starting next year.* You can write that down.

But Boothe was still in that line.

TheEnigma
03-02-2012, 04:07 PM
Why do people keep calling Boothe "quality depth".* Why does anyone think that Petrus should start over Boothe.* He was the only bright spot on our offensive line this year.* He is starting next year.* You can write that down.Boothe has been with the Giants since 2007 and has yet to crack the starting lineup. He's a great guy and I wouldn't be upset with him at all if he did start at LG but there must be a reason that the coaching staff only sees him as a depth guy.

Petrus also has tremendous strength (tied the 2011 bench press combine record) and offers good upside being younger and more athletic.

MattMeyerBud
03-02-2012, 04:08 PM

But Boothe was still in that line.

i actually misread what u said.....

let me rephrase... Booth is quality depth because he can play so many different positions incase of injury.

But I think everybody agrees he should be playing full time, i haven't really seen anybody say they don't think he should.

But moving Boothe somewhere else to get PEtrus to play is the sentiment that I think some posters have. I personally am on the fence about it, but I guess getting your best players out there at once would be the best move to make.

Baas is locked in at center this year.

Snee is locked in at RG.

Diehl is definitly starting somewhere, but where?

Personally I think we have alot of combinations we could do

LT: Diehl/Beatty
LG: Diehl/Boothe/Petrus
C: Baas/Booth
RG: Snee
RT: Diehl/Boothe

as of right now anyway...

I think people just want to have Petrus and Boothe on the field at the same time cuz they looked the best.

MattMeyerBud
03-02-2012, 04:09 PM
Why do people keep calling Boothe "quality depth". Why does anyone think that Petrus should start over Boothe. He was the only bright spot on our offensive line this year. He is starting next year. You can write that down.Boothe has been with the Giants since 2007 and has yet to crack the starting lineup. He's a great guy and I wouldn't be upset with him at all if he did start at LG but there must be a reason that the coaching staff only sees him as a depth guy.

Petrus also has tremendous strength (tied the 2011 bench press combine record) and offers good upside being younger and more athletic.

wow i guess i was wrong lol...

na man Boothe started most of this season and earned his PT next year, wherever it may be

Kruunch
03-02-2012, 04:11 PM
Why do people keep calling Boothe "quality depth".* Why does anyone think that Petrus should start over Boothe.* He was the only bright spot on our offensive line this year.* He is starting next year.* You can write that down.

More about position availability and contracts then Boothe's actual level of talent.

Snee is a lock at RG (and should be).
Bass is a lock at Center (due to contract)
Beatty or DD will start at LT (most likely Beatty).
Boothe is not a natural OT and looked bad the few times he's played the position.

That leaves DD, Boothe and Petrus for LG. Out of those three, while maybe not the best at LG, DD will start because the Giants won't pay him a few million to be a backup.

So Boothe is basically .... quality depth (and yes Boothe would start over Petrus most likely).

TheEnigma
03-02-2012, 04:11 PM
Don't get me wrong guys. I like Boothe and think he deserves better than what he has got here but I just don't think there's room for him as a permanent starter on this team. The Giants seem to want to go with Baas at Center even though Boothe played better there.

MattMeyerBud
03-02-2012, 04:13 PM

True but as you know, the <font size="6">Giants are a REALLY loyal franchise to players who have played tremendously well</font>. It could go either way in that hypothetical scenario.I think Snee has around 3-5 more years in the tank at best and retires as a Giant.

Either way, we need to grab a guy or two in the draft if we can but only if they make sense at that spot and we aren't reaching.

lol tell that to blackburn

MattMeyerBud
03-02-2012, 04:14 PM

More about position availability and contracts then Boothe's actual level of talent.

Snee is a lock at RG (and should be).
Bass is a lock at Center (due to contract)
Beatty or DD will start at LT (most likely Beatty).
Boothe is not a natural OT and looked bad the few times he's played the position.

That leaves DD, Boothe and Petrus for LG. Out of those three, while maybe not the best at LG, DD will start because the Giants won't pay him a few million to be a backup.

So Boothe is basically .... quality depth (and yes Boothe would start over Petrus most likely).

i think we could absolutely try Boothe or Diehl at RT and unless we get a nice high value pick with RT thats the way we will go

MattMeyerBud
03-02-2012, 04:16 PM
Don't get me wrong guys. I like Boothe and think he deserves better than what he has got here but I just don't think there's room for him as a permanent starter on this team. The Giants seem to want to go with Baas at Center even though Boothe played better there.

well i just don't think u can cross Baas out after one season of injury, of being with a new team, and having no offseason stuff really...

I actually think Boothe will be starting either LG or RT

TheEnigma
03-02-2012, 04:16 PM
lol tell that to blackburnHe made a few plays for us but I wouldn't say he played "tremendously". I know we haven't had a good MLB for awhile but calm yourself down Matt :)

MattMeyerBud
03-02-2012, 04:17 PM
lol tell that to blackburnHe made a few plays for us but I wouldn't say he played "tremendously". I know we haven't had a good MLB for awhile but calm yourself down Matt :)

lol i was just being a ****

TheEnigma
03-02-2012, 04:19 PM

well i just don't think u can cross Baas out after one season of injury, of being with a new team, and having no offseason stuff really...

True.

Honestly though, I don't think we will really know the starting OL completely until near the end of the preseason. Depending on possible FA pickups or draft picks, there could be competition in a few spots.

As for Petrus vs Boothe, if we were to play tomorrow, I'd take Boothe. I think Petrus is going to advance himself this offseason in training camp though. Just my guess.

MattMeyerBud
03-02-2012, 04:23 PM

True.

Honestly though, I don't think we will really know the starting OL completely until near the end of the preseason. Depending on possible FA pickups or draft picks, there could be competition in a few spots.

As for Petrus vs Boothe, if we were to play tomorrow, I'd take Boothe. I think Petrus is going to advance himself this offseason in training camp though. Just my guess.

i would love to see:

Diehl - Petrus - Baas - Snee - Boothe

if it could work... not on the beatty bandwagon anymore

TheEnigma
03-02-2012, 04:29 PM
I like the interior but as you may realize, I'm not a Diehl fan at this point in his career lol. Beatty plays well but the concern with his is can he stay healthy? He's also a bit quicker on his feet and can handle the speed rushers better than Diehl who has a documented issue with them.

As for Boothe, the only concern I'd have is can he handle speed rushers as well? If anything, I could see defenses exploit that. I think I'd rather plug in Brewer and see how he does.

03-02-2012, 04:36 PM
The guy on Sopranos said it best!

:-)

bearbryant
03-02-2012, 06:16 PM
Its pretty obvious that as a whole this O line suffered mostly due to the inability to run block as a cohesive unit and at times ( like the 9er game -playoffs) almost got eli killed. However, they did work well enough to protect eli enough to get him to run away from the rush. If Eli didn't play as well, this O line would have been getting killed by the press and fans.</P>

Its difficult to point to a single part of the O line because it works as a unit but in time we saw certain things reoccur that made a few items clear:W/O help DD doesn't get it done on the outside; why did they give baas 27 MM; Mac is getting older and slower; snee had a tough year; we need to see more from beatty to see where he'll fit; once petrus learns how to pass block he will be starting for the G-Men or elsewhere; boothe got better this year; lets see more of brewer. Congratulations NY Giants: Champions of the World!</P>

buddy33
03-03-2012, 12:26 AM
Snee may have had an off year but was still probably their best OL. Who was better? Diehl? He was ranked the worst OG and LT last year. KMac? He was great the year before, but this season he struggled. Bass? I'll give him a pass because of being injured and on a new team, but he didn't play well.

As much as I support Boothe and cheer him on, we don't know if he can be a full time starter. I think he can, but sometimes these full in guys are better at just that, filling in and not starting the entire season.

Beatty was not bad last year. Hopefully Baas has a better year, and I believe the reason why Snee had an off year is because the guys around him played poorly.