View Full Version : Giants re-signed Domenik Hixon

manning to shockey
03-02-2012, 03:12 PM
Mike Garafolo ? @MikeGarafolo
Giants have re-signed WR/KR Domenik Hixon per, well, @domenik_hixon. #nyg

Kruunch
03-02-2012, 03:13 PM
Nice!

Odds on going 3 for 3 with the ACLs this year?

*ducks*

manning to shockey
03-02-2012, 03:15 PM
Domenik Hixon ? @domenik_hixon
I Just got done officially signing back with the Superbowl Champs!!! #blessed #readytoplay

Welcome back Dom!

NYGiants2120
03-02-2012, 03:16 PM
welcome back buddy!

MattMeyerBud
03-02-2012, 03:18 PM

great news! I love hixon

nycsportzfan
03-02-2012, 03:18 PM
Mike Garafolo ? @MikeGarafolo Giants have re-signed WR/KR Domenik Hixon per, well, @domenik_hixon. #nyg Thats a good move.. If we lose Mario, i'm sure Hixon can pick up a bit of the slack, assuming hes healthy..

bklyn1028
03-02-2012, 03:19 PM

great news! I love hixon

He needs a shave.

nhpgiantsfan
Don't understand why he was such a priority. Hope they didn't pay him much more than the league minimum plus a SBXLVI t-shirt.

TuckYou
Sweet. Must mean he is healthy again, for now. </P>

Do you guys think he is the #3 WR now with Manham most likely out? Nicks n Hixon with the Cruz slot machine?</P>

Toadofsteel
03-02-2012, 03:26 PM
Hope you're ready and healthy to play! *knock on wood*

MattMeyerBud
03-02-2012, 03:30 PM

great news! I love hixon

He needs a shave.

lol

MattMeyerBud
03-02-2012, 03:34 PM
Sweet. Must mean he is healthy again, for now. </p>

Do you guys think he is the #3 WR now with Manham most likely out? Nicks n Hixon with the Cruz slot machine?</p>

i do actually...

I think we COULD have a Steve Smith type signing...

Figure we'll have about 7 active WRs

but lets look at the WRs we have returning now:

Nicks
Cruz
Hixon
Barden
Jernigan

Figure we have 2-3 WR spots to fill....

wouldn't mind resigning Devin Thomas and Steve Smith and then drafting somebody

RoanokeFan
03-02-2012, 03:37 PM
Nice!

Odds on going 3 for 3 with the ACLs this year?

*ducks*

I k ow you aren't inviting him to have an injury, still I'd just as soon we didn't tempt the gods.

He's going to camp and we'll see if he can make the final 53.

RoanokeFan
03-02-2012, 03:40 PM

Do you guys think he is the #3 WR now with Manham most likely out? Nicks n Hixon with the Cruz slot machine?</p>

I could easily see that happening. A lot will depend on Jernigan's progress but, for me, Hixon willl be the odds-on favorite return man. You have to love his enthusiasm.

GIANTS RE-SIGN WIDE RECEIVER DOMENIK HIXON (http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/03/giants_re-sign_wide_receiver_d.html)

"One more time, Domenik Hixon will attempt to make a comeback from a torn
anterior cruciate ligament. <div class="entry-content">

One more time, the Giants are giving him a chance. </p>

The team re-signed the six-year veteran wide receiver and returner, who <a href="http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2011/09/giants_domenik_hixon_hoping_to.html">tore
his right ACL while making a juggling 22-yard touchdown catch in the Week 2</a>
victory over the Rams last season. That came 15 months after he tore the ACL in
a minicamp practice.</p>

"Thank you to the best Fans in the world," Hixon wrote on his Twitter account
after announcing he had re-signed, "and the Giants for giving me an opportunity
to play the game I love!</p>

Terms of the contract, which <a href="http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/02/agent_for_giants_domenik_hixon.html">Hixon's
agent Eric Metz expected to be completed this week</a>, were not immediately
available. Last year, coming off his first knee injury, Hixon signed a one-year
deal with a $600,000 base salary and a $250,000 roster bonus.</p>

A healthy Hixon, who has been a Giant since the team claimed him off waivers
from the Broncos in 2007, could help somewhat offset the expected loss of Mario
Manningham in free agency. Hixon, who has the only punt- and kick-return
touchdowns for the Giants in the past six seasons, is also expected to once
again contribute on special teams.</p>

Hixon is the first of the Giants' 21 unrestricted free agents to re-sign with
the team."</p></div>

bklyn1028
03-02-2012, 03:42 PM
If they already re-signed him, then his knee is 100%. He's an absolute GREAT return man, and that is where they'll put him IMO, along with reciever duties. I like Hixon, that catch in pre-season is one for the books.

GameTime
03-02-2012, 03:45 PM
Nice! Odds on going 3 for 3 with the ACLs this year? *ducks*</P>

thats just wrong man.....ouch....</P>

Kruunch
03-02-2012, 03:49 PM
Mike Garafolo ? @MikeGarafolo Giants have re-signed WR/KR Domenik Hixon per, well, @domenik_hixon. #nyg Thats a good move.. If we lose Mario, i'm sure Hixon can pick up a* bit of the slack, assuming hes healthy..

When healthy Hixon is a better receiver then MM.

Kruunch
03-02-2012, 03:50 PM
Nice! Odds on going 3 for 3 with the ACLs this year? *ducks*</P>

thats just wrong man.....ouch....</P>

I was feeling peckish.

GameTime
03-02-2012, 03:55 PM
Mike Garafolo ? @MikeGarafolo Giants have re-signed WR/KR Domenik Hixon per, well, @domenik_hixon. #nyg Thats a good move.. If we lose Mario, i'm sure Hixon can pick up a bit of the slack, assuming hes healthy.. When healthy Hixon is a better receiver then MM.</P>

hope he stays healthy. When he hurt himself again last season it didnt even look like he did much. I know looks are decieving but a twice repaired ACL is a def weak point....</P>

MattMeyerBud
03-02-2012, 03:56 PM
Mike Garafolo ? @MikeGarafolo Giants have re-signed WR/KR Domenik Hixon per, well, @domenik_hixon. #nyg Thats a good move.. If we lose Mario, i'm sure Hixon can pick up a bit of the slack, assuming hes healthy..

im a huge hixon fan - but no way lol

RoanokeFan
03-02-2012, 03:57 PM
If they already re-signed him, then his knee is 100%. He's an absolute GREAT return man, and that is where they'll put him IMO, along with reciever duties. I like Hixon, that catch in pre-season is one for the books.

He had to take a physical, which he has passed. Whether that means he's 100 % or not remains to be seen. It could also mean he's progressed at or ahead of schedule and what he's been asked to do he has done without any set-backs.

GameTime
03-02-2012, 04:21 PM

He had to take a physical, which he has passed. Whether that means he's 100 % or not remains to be seen. It could also mean he's progressed at or ahead of schedule and what he's been asked to do he has done without any set-backs.
</P>

to add to what you said Ro....</P>

a knee with 2 ACL repairs will never ever be 100%. I am judging 100% based on a healthy never injured knee. It may 100% in respect to him being able to play on it.</P>

egyptian420
03-02-2012, 04:28 PM
....sigh of relief.....maybe now we can get a decent return

dave56dj
03-02-2012, 04:28 PM
I think the Giants would like Hixon to be a return man. I think he will compete for the third spot - he won it over Cruz last year amazingly. But ultimately I think the Giants would like to further develop JJ then Ramses and keep Hixon as a 4/5 for depth. But if either of the youngsters stumble Hixon will be there to step into the 3.

MattMeyerBud
03-02-2012, 04:36 PM
I think the Giants would like Hixon to be a return man. I think he will compete for the third spot - he won it over Cruz last year amazingly. But ultimately I think the Giants would like to further develop JJ then Ramses and keep Hixon as a 4/5 for depth. But if either of the youngsters stumble Hixon will be there to step into the 3.

Eli is comfortable with him and they have a nice connection...

egyptian420
03-02-2012, 04:38 PM
+1...I have a feeling we resigned him primarily for his ST abilities, I don't think we brought him back with the intention of being the permanent solution as the #3 WR, although he very well could be. Like you said, he played that role last year before his injury.

If he does, however, become the #3, I hope there is a backup plan in case his knee doesn't hold.

jakegibbs
03-02-2012, 04:46 PM
Manningham's replacement. All in.

threenout
03-02-2012, 05:15 PM
great he is back......best return guy we have had in some time.....just remain healthy

MattMeyerBud
03-02-2012, 05:17 PM
great he is back......best return guy we have had in some time.....just remain healthy

I want to say thats true, but thats somehting Jernigan was drafted for and while he looked like **** for most of the year (if u were able to look at him at all), he had a nice return in the superbowl which gave us great field position before a score

just saying - I like hixon as a returner but I think Jernigan and him will be battling it out

Kruunch
03-02-2012, 05:39 PM
Mike Garafolo ? @MikeGarafolo Giants have re-signed WR/KR Domenik Hixon per, well, @domenik_hixon. #nyg Thats a good move.. If we lose Mario, i'm sure Hixon can pick up a* bit of the slack, assuming hes healthy.. When healthy Hixon is a better receiver then MM.</P>

hope he stays healthy. When he hurt himself again last season it didnt even look like he did much. I know looks are decieving but a twice repaired ACL is a def weak point....</P>

Something like 80% of people today (normal Joes like you and me) have a partial ACL tear at some point in their lives and don't even realize it. It takes almost nothing to partially tear an ACL ... just a wrong step and shifting of your weight.

If you consider the structure of the knew, it's amazing athletes don't get these more often. By the same token, medical treatment and rehab being what it is today, an ACL is not nearly as devastating an injury to a career as it used to be. Even double ACLs (we have two returning this year; Hixon and T2).

Having said that, I will cringe every time I see Hixon (and T2) go to make a play.

Kruunch
03-02-2012, 05:41 PM
Mike Garafolo ? @MikeGarafolo Giants have re-signed WR/KR Domenik Hixon per, well, @domenik_hixon. #nyg Thats a good move.. If we lose Mario, i'm sure Hixon can pick up a* bit of the slack, assuming hes healthy..

im a* huge hixon fan - but no way lol

Way.

He has better hands, runs a better route and is faster. Also he has the upside of being a great returner.

Heck he was almost our #1 receiver if he could have held on to a couple of long balls in 2009.

The ONLY reason he isn't our #2 receiver are the ACLs (ironically sort of fortunate though because his injuries have paved the way for Cruz).

MattMeyerBud
03-02-2012, 05:43 PM

Way.

He has better hands, runs a better route and is faster. Also he has the upside of being a great returner.

The ONLY reason he isn't our #2 receiver are the ACLs (ironically sort of fortunate though because his injuries have paved the way for Cruz).

He wouldn't of been ahead of Mario anyway and he wasn't to start the season

Kruunch
03-02-2012, 05:53 PM

Way.

Yeah but again that was just due to coming off an ACL (and MM having a great 2010 season).

He was ahead of MM when Plax shot himself and the following year AND in 2010 prior to going down..

C1010
03-02-2012, 06:01 PM
I'm very glad to hear this, hope his recovery goes well and has a nice career with us and revitalizes our returns should he come back as a returner.

MattMeyerBud
03-02-2012, 06:06 PM

Way.

Yeah but again that was just due to coming off an ACL (and MM having a great 2010 season).

He was ahead of MM when Plax shot himself and the following year AND in 2010 prior to going down..

Manningham was a 3rd round rookie at that point who wasn't grasping the offense.

And I don't know what your basing your projections off of for 2010, but whats ur excuse for 2009?

Kruunch
03-02-2012, 06:13 PM

Way.

Manningham was a 3rd round rookie at that point who wasn't grasping the offense.*

And I don't know what your basing your projections off of for 2010, but whats ur excuse for 2009?

IIRC Hixon pronged his ankle in the beginning of the season missing a game or two and MM popped a couple of highlight grabs.

Smith was the #1 receiver and Nicks and MM battled out for the #2 spot which kind of forced Hixon out of the picture (only so many people you can throw to).

Also Hixon did have an annoying habit of dropping the occasional bomb that would hit him in both hands.

That and MM was a 3rd round pick, and Hixon was a UFA.

MattMeyerBud
03-02-2012, 06:16 PM
if that little bit could knock Hixon out of the #2 spot, how confident of a #2 was he actually then?

If what u were saying was true then it should of been Hixon and Nicks battling it out for the #2, no?

I mean Hixon played every game that year

Voldamort
03-02-2012, 06:17 PM
good luck D HIX!!!!

Kruunch
03-02-2012, 06:21 PM
if that little bit could knock Hixon out of the #2 spot, how confident of a #2 was he actually then?

If what u were saying was true then it should of been Hixon and Nicks battling it out for the #2, no?

I mean Hixon played every game that year

You have to remember that in 2009, we didn't have a #1 OR a #2 receiver. Not in the classic sense.

Plax was gone and we hadn't found a replacement and Toomer was gone and we didn't have a (sure) replacement for him either.

Smith, MM, Hixon, Nicks, Moss, Barden and Hagan were all battling for spots.

As it shook out, it was SS, MM and Nicks. I guess that does mean MM was the better receiver ... I just always thought Hixon had more upside if he could go from here to there without being blowing a knee.

Jobarulz
03-02-2012, 06:38 PM
Before his injuries, he was a productive WR back in '08. Hopefully he can give that production again because it would be very similar to Mario's production last year.

swimeasy
03-02-2012, 06:59 PM
Great news! Welcome back Dom!

<a class="account-group js-account-group js-action-profile js-user-profile-link" href="https://twitter.com/#%21/domenik_hixon" data-user-id="185400056"><strong class="fullname js-action-profile-name">"Domenik Hixon[/b]
<span>?</span>
<span class="username js-action-profile-name"><s>@</s>domenik_hixon</span>
</a>

<p class="js-tweet-text">Thank you to the best Fans in the world and the Giants for giving me an opportunity to play the game I love!"</p>
<div class="stream-item-footer">

<div class="context">
</div>
<a class="details with-icn js-details" href="https://twitter.com/#">
<span class="js-icon-container">
</span>

<span class="view-open js-view-details">
</span>

</a>
</div>

NYGRealityCheck
03-02-2012, 07:11 PM
Nice to have Hixon back. He returned to 100% before and the Giants believe he can do it again. He could easily take the No. 3 WR spot if he's back to 100%. At the very least, we'll have a KR and maybe a real PR too.

Antwuan
03-02-2012, 08:00 PM
If his recovery goes well and if he is 100% he will help our return game KR/PR. If Manningham is gone we have a reliable 3rd option at WR. Im just hoping Hixon will be 100%. Its nice to have him back, Hixon was playing pretty good before he got hurt.

pino
03-02-2012, 08:10 PM
Makes sense. He's a bargain. He adds depth. He'll compete as a return man. And it gives the Giants bargaining power when they negotiate Rio's contract.

nhpgiantsfan
03-02-2012, 08:22 PM

You're nuts! Not even close.

G.I. Ants
03-02-2012, 08:37 PM
Glad to see Hixon back. Our special teams just got stronger, not to mention his familiarity of the offense is a big plus.

Flip Empty
03-02-2012, 09:57 PM
I'm glad he's back.

jomo
03-02-2012, 10:02 PM
Don't understand why he was such a priority. Hope they didn't pay him much more than the league minimum plus a SBXLVI t-shirt.???? say what?!

miked1958
03-02-2012, 10:36 PM
I'm glad he's back.Me to. Imagine how Sick we would have been with Hixon returning kicks and punts last year. Wow

JJC7301
03-02-2012, 10:47 PM

i do actually...

I think we COULD have a Steve Smith type signing...

Figure we'll have about 7 active WRs

but lets look at the WRs we have returning now:

Nicks
Cruz
Hixon
Barden
Jernigan

Figure we have 2-3 WR spots to fill....

wouldn't mind resigning Devin Thomas and Steve Smith and then drafting somebody

+1 on the players -- I hope we keep Thomas and sign SS (if he's healthy and cheap). And we could very well take a WR in the draft as well.

I'm glad to have Hixon back, but mostly as a returner. He had some great games back in '08, but he was never consistent enough. I'd give him a fair chance to win the # 3 spot, but don't expect him to win it.

Toadofsteel
03-03-2012, 04:44 AM
Hey i've got an idea. Lets get him on the cover of Madden NFL. Maybe then he'll STOP tearing his ACL! lol

nhpgiantsfan
03-03-2012, 07:52 AM
Don't understand why he was such a priority.* Hope they didn't pay him much more than the league minimum plus a SBXLVI t-shirt.???? say what?!

He's just not that good. I hope they can find a better number 3 receiver than this guy, either from within or FA, although I don't see it happening in FA. Otherwise it is a bigtime downgrade.