PDA

View Full Version : SAINTS' BOUNTY SCANDAL: WHAT'S THE PROPER PUNISHMENT?

RoanokeFan
03-02-2012, 10:24 PM
SAINTS' BOUNTY SCANDAL: WHAT'S THE PROPER PUNISHMENT? (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8275959e/article/saints-bounty-scandal-whats-the-proper-punishment)

"The NFL announced on Friday that 22 to 27 defensive players on the New Orleans Saints (/teams/neworleanssaints/profile?team=NO) maintained
a bounty program (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82757bcd/article/nfl-says-saints-created-bounty-program-from-20092011) during the 2009, 2010 and 2011 seasons that
targeted opponents with an intent to injure. A lengthy investigation found that
payments were administered by then-defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, who now
serves the same role with the St. Louis Rams (/teams/st.louisrams/profile?team=STL). At the height of
this "pay for performance" program during the Saints' Super Bowl run in the 2009
playoffs, payouts might have reached a staggering $50,000.

What kind of punishment should the NFL dole out to the Saints organization,
Gregg Williams and any other players/coaches involved?" Read more...
</p>

</p>

</p>

gmen46
03-02-2012, 11:05 PM
SAINTS' BOUNTY SCANDAL:* WHAT'S THE PROPER PUNISHMENT? (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8275959e/article/saints-bounty-scandal-whats-the-proper-punishment)

"The NFL announced on Friday that 22 to 27 defensive players on the New Orleans Saints (/teams/neworleanssaints/profile?team=NO) maintained
a bounty program (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82757bcd/article/nfl-says-saints-created-bounty-program-from-20092011) during the 2009, 2010 and 2011 seasons that
targeted opponents with an intent to injure. A lengthy investigation found that
payments were administered by then-defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, who now
serves the same role with the St. Louis Rams (/teams/st.louisrams/profile?team=STL). At the height of
this "pay for performance" program during the Saints' Super Bowl run in the 2009
playoffs, payouts might have reached a staggering $50,000.

What kind of punishment should the NFL dole out to the Saints organization,
Gregg Williams and any other players/coaches involved?"* Read more...
</p>

</p>

</p>

Since it has come out that Williams also had this program the 3 years he was with the Redskins, at the VERY LEAST Williams should be prohibited from working any position in the NFL for at least 1 full year, or more in my opinion.

And since it has also come out that Payton at the very least knew there was such an unofficial program while it was going on, rest assured he will face a stiff fine--I mean STIFF, like the 6 figure fine levied against Belichick for "spygate"--and may even be suspended fpr a few games.

No doubt there will be 1 maybe 2 forfeited draft picks by Saints as well.

Goodell doesn't **** around when a clear violation has been revealed, as we all should know by now.

wolfie
03-02-2012, 11:15 PM
I think one year is Wwwwaaaayyyyy to little.Let's see, hedid this for 3 years with the Saints and3 with the skins for total of 6.... maybe we should go back and see how many players were injured because of this bounty crap. I think this is a case where he should be suspened for 3 years and both he and the two teams should be heavily fined. What BB did was cheating, this was anintent to injure and possibly end a career. Disgusting!!

giantscolombia
03-02-2012, 11:18 PM
I hate the saints and their ****y attitude.... Any punishment that comes their way is welcomed..... Plus the mentality of play to hurt a player is that of a group of low lives, imo

gmen0820
03-02-2012, 11:19 PM
Like Spygate, this will probably be talked about to ad nausiem.

Saints are in deep ish.

gmen46
03-02-2012, 11:47 PM
I think one year is Wwwwaaaayyyyy to little.*Let's see, he*did this for 3 years with the Saints and*3 with the skins for total of 6.... maybe we should go back and see how many players were injured because of this bounty crap. I think this is a case where he should be suspened for 3 years and both he and the two teams should be heavily fined. What BB did was cheating, this was an*intent to injure and possibly end a career. Disgusting!!

I completely agree with you. I was being conservative. This is far, far worse than any "spygate". This Buddy Ryan territory.

GmenFan1980
03-03-2012, 02:26 AM
They were saying on sport center how the punishment may end up being much worse then even spygate was.

Sucks for them :/

GiantWarfare
03-03-2012, 02:33 AM
wow...the Saints are in some deep ***

this is worse than Spygate...

GMenNY21
03-03-2012, 02:39 AM
Taking away ALL their picks should teach them a great lesson :)

Garbloz
03-03-2012, 02:39 AM
to me this is at the top of crimes for the nfl. we are talking about hurting other people. this is one of the few things that deserve to give the people involved a lifetime ban.

just like to add since its illegal to to hurt people outside the nfl i think it should be the same as an assault charge. we aren't talking about hard hittting football, we are talking about purposely trying to injure players

krygny
03-03-2012, 07:24 AM
"
to me this is at the top of crimes for the nfl. we are talking about hurting other people. this is one of the few things that deserve to give the people involved a lifetime ban.

just like to add since its illegal to to hurt people outside the nfl i think it should be the same as an assault charge. we aren't talking about hard hittting football, we are talking about purposely trying to injure players
This is nothing new. I think we all know this has gone on in the NFL probably since the league began. If it wasn't systemic, at least it was done with a nod and a wink amongst players and even coaches.

But that doesn't make it okay, any more than bigotry, fascism or any other despicable behavior. All that is necessary for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

It's bad enough when players do this like a "friendly" pool or wager. But for it to be instituted by a coach, and for the head coach to know about it and not put a stop to it immediately, is almost incomprehensible.

This is nothing like SpyGate. This is much worse and this scandal will explode. I wouldn't be surprised if other players come forward from other teams where things similar were going on, going back decades. Get your popcorn ready. The conversation is just beginning.

The penalty? I couldn't fathom a guess.

bLuereverie
03-03-2012, 07:28 AM
Eh, the main issue is the Saints were incredibly stupid enough to organize a transparent extracurricular payment system that exceeds the salary cap.

Players cloud incentives for teammates through dinner, electronics, jewelry etc. all the time.

I'll wait till I hear details of how they were trying to hurt players. Headhunting occurs on every team.

BlueSanta
03-03-2012, 12:15 PM
Eh, the main issue is the Saints were incredibly stupid enough to organize a transparent extracurricular payment system that exceeds the salary cap.

Players cloud incentives for teammates through dinner, electronics, jewelry etc. all the time.

I'll wait till I hear details of how they were trying to hurt players. Headhunting occurs on every team.

Your stating opinion and supposition as fact.

You have no idea what goes on on every team. I very seriously doubt every team doesnt have a bounty system. I would argue they are quite rare judging by the player's reaction to this info.

I know the NFLPA is reeling from this scandal because it undermines their argument that it is the LEAGUE, not the players, that have been negligent in the healthcare and safety of players. When a story like this comes out, that it is in fact the players not only actively trying to hurt each other but PAYING for it, the Players association arguments go out the window.

When you have players injured by the supposed "bounty" Saints now consulting attorneys with possible litigation to follow, I think that says that headhunting is in fact NOT the norm. If some players are that disgusted, how could it be?

tonyt830
03-03-2012, 12:26 PM
I don't know what kind of punishment will be handed out by Goodell. By some people standards, the punishment will be too lenient.</P>

</P>

But I would like to see a huge fine, loss of draft picks, and possibly suspensions to the players and/or the coaches that were involved. I have already read how there could be lawsuits against the players that took part in this bounty program.</P>

</P>

</P>

Greg Williams has a track record of being involved with borderline/dirty play defenses, back to his days with the Titans and Jeff Fisher. Hopefully he suffers some consequences even if he is now the Rams D coordinator. He is deserving of a fine and some suspension time.</P>

giantman8493
03-03-2012, 12:33 PM
If the saints did it maybe some other teams did.

jhamburg
03-03-2012, 12:56 PM
Fine everybody- coaches, players, organization

Saints lose 2012 2nd and 2012 1st draft picks.

Suspend Williams for 1 year.

Give short suspensions to the worst offending players.

03-03-2012, 01:43 PM
I wish they had a 1st rounder this year.. Just like 2008 when we picked 32nd.. we would move up to 31..

bLuereverie
03-03-2012, 02:14 PM

You have no idea what goes on on every team. I very seriously doubt every team doesnt have a bounty system. I would argue they are quite rare judging by the player's reaction to this info.

*I know the NFLPA is reeling from this scandal because it undermines their argument that it is the LEAGUE, not the players, that have been negligent in the healthcare and safety of players. When a story like this comes out, that it is in fact the players not only actively trying to hurt each other but PAYING for it, the Players association arguments go out the window.

When you have players injured by the supposed "bounty" Saints now consulting attorneys with possible litigation to follow, I think that says that headhunting is in fact NOT the norm. If some players are that disgusted, how could
it be?

I'm not saying every team had a pay per injury bounty. But player rewards is nothing new, nor is it really taboo as it is seen as nothing more than informal incentive amongst teammates. i.e. Packers D getting BestBuy giftcards for holding rival Peterson under 100 yards.

The difference between the Saints is the issues started above the players with their coaching staff knowing and participating, using money taken from player fines, as well as the fact they were warned by the NFL but continued to do so.

Pageiommi
03-03-2012, 06:09 PM
Either drop their salary cap by 10 mill for a couple years or take away their ability to tag players.

They tried taking good players off other teams, now make it so they lose good players from theirs.

Voldamort
03-03-2012, 06:20 PM
Brees needs to give up his stats NCAA!!! lol

NYGRealityCheck
03-03-2012, 06:53 PM
Charging a humongous fine against the team and counting it against the team's 2012 salary cap would be nice...

Taking away draft picks would be appropriate. Suspending Greg Williams long-term would be unfair to the Rams organization as they would have to start looking for a new D-coordinator all over again. I'd say Williams will just end up with a historic fine.

jomo
03-03-2012, 06:54 PM
If the saints did it maybe some other teams did.Check the Titans under Fisher for that one.

THE_New_York_Giants
03-03-2012, 07:02 PM
Williams gets expelled from the NFL, Saints lose 1,2,3,4 draft picks in next 2 drafts. Sean Payton gets $1 mil fine, Saints cap lowered by 10 mil.
That'd be my punishment if I were comish. Set the standard for any future offense like this.

THE_New_York_Giants
03-03-2012, 07:02 PM
Williams gets expelled from the NFL, Saints lose 1,2,3,4 draft picks in next 2 drafts. Sean Payton gets $1 mil fine, Saints cap lowered by 10 mil.
That'd be my punishment if I were comish. Set the standard for any future offense like this.

lawl
03-03-2012, 07:29 PM
The problem with taking a bunch of picks from the Saints is that it punishes the Saints fans just as much as anyone and the fans of the team had nothing to do with this at all.</P>

jhamburg
03-03-2012, 09:30 PM
The problem with taking a bunch of picks from the Saints is that it punishes the Saints fans just as much as anyone and the fans of the team had nothing to do with this at all.</P>

Wow seriously?

By this logic suspensions are unfair too since they punish the fans.

Anytime you punish the franchise you punish the fans indirectly. There has to be some accountability.

Blue daddy
03-03-2012, 09:36 PM
This is not unheard of. I think nothing will become of it.

ShakeNBake
03-03-2012, 11:12 PM

I know the NFLPA is reeling from this scandal because it undermines their argument that it is the LEAGUE, not the players, that have been negligent in the healthcare and safety of players. When a story like this comes out, that it is in fact the players not only actively trying to hurt each other but PAYING for it, the Players association arguments go out the window.

When you have players injured by the supposed "bounty" Saints now consulting attorneys with possible litigation to follow, I think that says that headhunting is in fact NOT the norm. If some players are that disgusted, how could
it be?

I'm not saying every team had a pay per injury bounty. But player rewards is nothing new, nor is it really taboo as it is seen as nothing more than informal incentive amongst teammates. i.e. Packers D getting BestBuy giftcards for holding rival Peterson under 100 yards.

The difference between the Saints is the issues started above the players with their coaching staff knowing and participating, using money taken from player fines, as well as the fact they were warned by the NFL but continued to do so.

I think Goodell should drop the hammer on the Saints because the coaches were involved, especially Gregg Williams for being involved not only with the Saints but the Skins too. I agree with what you're saying about bounties in general though, they happen more frequently than people realize.