PDA

View Full Version : Pat Kirwan and Mario Williams

BlueBlooded1979
03-03-2012, 04:45 AM
I was listening to NFL Radio on Sirius last night and Pat Kirwan said that the Giants should pursue Mario Williams in free agency. He then proceeded to explained at that point the Giants could just "unleash hell" on opposing offenses.

I am by no means suggesting that the cap strapped GMen persue the guy who may end up as the highest paid defensive player in league history.

His strategy of adding strength to strength was interesting but lack of knowledge regarding the Giants was amusing.

I could not totally scoff at a man who thinks the Giants should "unleash hell" on their opponents.

giantsfan420
03-03-2012, 05:04 AM
a few analysts have said this, a few from nfl.com as well.

the theory is our dl which is amazing and virtually unstoppable, would become absolutely completely unstoppable.

we wouldnt need high priced corners or safeties, but better lb's, bc teams would almost abandon the pass game to try and get their qb thru the game.

to be honest, i actually hated this idea before but now love it. only issue is would tuck be able to be a full time dt? i think he could be with either of our two dt's bc canty and joseph both warrant double teams and if they get 1v1 its a wrap especially canty.

the chances of it happening are sooooooo small, but we can dream.

i cant imagine a qb feeling comfortable in the pocket with tuck jpp williams and canty/osi attacking him and i dont care what qb it is, brees rodgers brady it dont matter. the pocket would collapse immediately...but again, we'd need better lb's for run defense although we could prob do fine with who we got now.

it'd mean we prob trade webster and rolle tho as the level of talent they have and cap space would be pretty much wasted. with that dl, ross and prince would be just fine and phillips and another fa s would be fine as well. its an interesting though

Flip Empty
03-03-2012, 07:03 AM
The team could get killed with quick passes and screens if the corners aren't up to snuff.

Garbloz
03-03-2012, 07:18 AM
tuck still great with some injury concerns and his heart problem ( being all in) i think is fixed forever.

osi will be here even with injury concern and believe he will play even if upset about his contract

jpp probably the best de in the league and young

lj, canty, getting better for us

we haven't seen ma yet

and kiwi who would start at de for most teams

i just don't feel a dlineman would make any sense for us this year to pick up

just my op and i may be wrong but our team needs a stud mlb more then anything. forget all the other stuff

redbeardxxv
03-03-2012, 07:19 AM
The team could get killed with quick passes and screens if the corners aren't up to snuff.
My thoughts EXACTLY. This would force quick throws, especially to TE's over the middle, which have killed us recently. Imagine Witten running wild on us for 7 yard gains every play. Pressure Is great, but it has to be backed up. If the QB gets a quick pass off, we have to be able to stop it. Slow, methodical drives that eat the clock would negate our quick strike offense. Manning would be forced to score 40 a game just to stay within range of a late game winning score. Love Eli in the 4th, but I don't want the game on his shoulders EVERY game. I prefer a front 4 that can pressure and a backfield that can stop the quick strike.Force the ball deep and make sure the QB is rushed on the throw. More turnovers and incomplete passes make us way more dangerous than multiple sacks or short throws.

Diamondring
03-03-2012, 07:28 AM
The team could get killed with quick passes and screens if the corners aren't up to snuff.Yet if the D-line put up constant pressure, then I bet the dbs would win most of the battles.

buddy33
03-03-2012, 07:52 AM
I also heard someone on Sirius say that he could be the highest paid DE in the league because of a few teams that are so far under the cap.

The Giants have no shot at him.

NYG4ME
03-03-2012, 08:24 AM
I heard Kirwan spew this garbage yesterday.. Sounds great, Is never going to happen. They have a 6 hour show to fill during NFL's slowest time of the year..

Pakman
03-03-2012, 11:33 AM
If we got Mario Williams...with the secondary we have now.

I'm sorry but our defense would be in the most "elite" level sonnn

gmen0820
03-03-2012, 11:48 AM
It's good on paper, but we need DT depth.

I look more to a guy who unfortunately just got franchised, Calais Campbell. This kid is a dominating 3T, and I thought he would be an excellent 4-3 DE coming out of Clemson. Campbell could play the 3T for us, and for those who haven't really seen him play, think Chris Canty, but a lot more dominating and a lot more constistant, with more ability to play DE.

We are stacked with pass rushers, we could even go with a guy that I really like in Andre Branch, another Clemson kid, and just further add strength to strength.

Plus, I'm not that big a fan of Mario Williams either. He hasn't hit 10 sacks in the past three years, and he plays a ton of snaps, and he doesn't consistently draw double teams to warrant that marginal production. I don't think he'll get close to the money he wants, but I could be wrong. If you want the best pass rusher on the market, sign John Abraham or Robert Mathis, short term, or Cliff Avril, long term.

Dirt66
03-03-2012, 11:58 AM
We have enough DE's on the team....I'm stoked to see what Marvin Austin is going to bring to the D-line. A monster MLB would make this D a true force.

buddy33
03-03-2012, 12:06 PM
We have enough DE's on the team....I'm stoked to see what Marvin Austin is going to bring to the D-line. A monster MLB would make this D a true force.

Agreed. I know he hasn't played in a while but he is still very young. A full training camp and pre season should get him back to speed.

DelawareGiants
03-03-2012, 12:08 PM
Agree- ever heard of too many cooks in the kitchen? You could ruin a chemistry on a DL. Why is he making more than me would be the underlying tone vs a mutual admiration we have now. Leave it alone- hope they can figure out a way to extend Osi - if not Kiwi back at DE works for me. Lets keep building through the draft.

GameTime
03-03-2012, 12:15 PM
would rather have better corner and saftey play as well as a 4 or 5 roration at LB that can be effective. Dont need Mario Williams actually...

buddy33
03-03-2012, 12:22 PM
would rather have better corner and saftey play as well as a 4 or 5 roration at LB that can be effective. Dont need Mario Williams actually...

Right now the Giants have the best rotation of pass rushing DE's in the league. Canty was very good this year and Joseph is coming into his own. Like I said, can't wait to see Austin. He is an extremely powerful DT that can run a 4.8. I'm not to worried about the time off because they where both due to injury. One yet was the suspension and last year was the injury. He is very going.

I agree some secondary help is what they need. I really think Prince is the real deal. I know we didn't see much, but he can fly, and he can hit. Hopefully TT can come back and play well this year.

GameTime
03-03-2012, 02:47 PM
would rather have better corner and saftey play as well as a 4 or 5 roration at LB that can be effective. Dont need Mario Williams actually... Right now the Giants have the best rotation of pass rushing DE's in the league. Canty was very good this year and Joseph is coming into his own. Like I said, can't wait to see Austin. He is an extremely powerful DT that can run a 4.8. I'm not to worried about the time off because they where both due to injury. One yet was the suspension and last year was the injury. He is very going. I agree some secondary help is what they need. I really think Prince is the real deal. I know we didn't see much, but he can fly, and he can hit. Hopefully TT can come back and play well this year.</P>

no doubt....Prince will step up to the NFL level this coming season. The LB group just needs stability. Boley and Kiwi bring that....they need the third guy in there to bring all together. Chase can do that from a vet standpoint but one of the younger guys will have to do that from the skill and playmaking satndpoint.</P>

</P>

JJC7301
03-04-2012, 01:30 AM
No way we could afford JPP and Williams -- we can't even afford the d-line that we have now.

PRFan
03-04-2012, 06:49 AM
Giants have no cap space...Creating enough for this would decimate the team!!