PDA

View Full Version : Will Opponents still try hard to Stop the run and let Eli beat them?

Diamondring
03-03-2012, 07:14 AM
I remember not too far ago, some posters may have said that the Giants's opponents put up a defense to stop the Giants running game and let Eli beat them with passing the ball for their reasons. One of them was that Eli threw a lot of ints, so the more chances he threw the ball, the more chances the ball could end up in a defender's hands.

Now that Eli is a real big weapon by being a big factor in the Giants winning the Superbowl for the second time, what the other teams are going to do now, try to take away the pass and let the run beat them? If so can they do it?

buddy33
03-03-2012, 08:07 AM
The part that bothers me is I don't think they really had to try hard to stop the run. The OL was not good and it was hard for them to keep both RB's healthy all year. In fact they where never completely healthy.

I would love for them to fix the running game. I know they won the Super Bowl and all with a bad run game, but next year they will be the hunted. Not that Eli can not beat a defense, but it's always. Ether to not be one dimentional.

LT_was_good
03-03-2012, 10:06 AM
I think it will be similar to the strategy the Pats used in the Super Bowl (even though the Pats lost). "It's a Nicks and Cruz game." None of the Giants other receiving options will be proven, so teams will try to take away Nicks and Cruz and get as much pressure on Eli as possible. This is why I agree with Buddy that we can't make it so easy for teams to stop the run. I worry about defenses teeing off on Eli, as he took some vicious hits this past year.

Diamondring
03-03-2012, 10:59 AM
I think it will be similar to the strategy the Pats used in the Super Bowl (even though the Pats lost).* "It's a Nicks and Cruz game."* None of the Giants other receiving options will be proven, so teams will try to take away Nicks and Cruz and get as much pressure on Eli as possible.* This is why I agree with Buddy that we can't make it so easy for teams to stop the run.* I worry about defenses teeing off on Eli, as he took some vicious hits this past year.
All qbs will take hits some more than others. A lot of times Eli gets rid of the ball on almost every play in the past and hardly takes sacks. He also use to rush his throws. I believe that opponents will try to take the pass away.

JesseJames
03-03-2012, 12:13 PM
I agree that our opponents will try to take away the pass because of our WRs and Eli being able to take over a game, after last season I don't think any team fears our running game. No matter what we think of our WRs you must be able to run the football and IMO thats the area that has to be fixed this offseason and if we can do that the sky is the limit for next season...

GameTime
03-03-2012, 12:17 PM
the first priority of any defesnse is to stop the run IF there is a runinng game that poses a threat. The Gianst WANT a running game that poses a threat. I would love for a defense to HAVE to play the run on the Giants. It sets up everything else.

buddy33
03-03-2012, 12:27 PM
I forgot what game it was this year but they showed the Giants rushing stats since TC became the head coach. I want to say it showed the where ranked a top 5 rushing team every year except last year.

I like seeing Eli and the WR's making big plays, but I miss the ground game they had when they would just run the ball and the defense could not stop it. Just ramming the ball down field.

DelawareGiants
03-03-2012, 12:30 PM
Hopefully with some tweeking of the OL our running game can be more consistent throughout the whole season.

buddy33
03-03-2012, 12:37 PM
Hopefully with some tweeking of the OL our running game can be more consistent throughout the whole season.

I'm hoping that Beatty can stay healthy, Baas has a better second year with his new team and he also stays healthy, and hopefully the guys around Snee play better. I think his game struggled because the Center and RT where struggling all year.

Boothe was solid it I'm not sure how he would be as a full time starter. Maybe Petrus can step up and hopefully Brewer can be a good RT.

As far as Diehl and KMac, restructure or something because they need the money and try played poorly last year.

BlueSanta
03-03-2012, 01:02 PM
I think the answer to your question depends entirely on how well we can run the ball.

Diamondring
03-03-2012, 01:51 PM
I think the answer to your question depends entirely on how well we can run the ball.
Right and that is why I ask the question. I think that to improve the run game, we need extra blockers and maybe some players who can block with any of the other two catch, run or all three

JesseJames
03-03-2012, 06:25 PM
I think Booth has played very well every where they have asked him to and yet I get the feeling that he's not really considered starter material. IMO the running game was better when he was in and when he played center he did a good job and against NE he was great against Woolfork so whats the problem..

Voldamort
03-03-2012, 06:59 PM
NEVER O-LINE AND RB are below average

egyptian420
03-03-2012, 07:07 PM
I think teams do that no matter who's the QB. Even we had to shut down the Pats' run game in order to get a pass rush on Brady on 3rd and long.

I think it was a miracle that we won a SB with such a horrible run game and I wouldn't count on it to happen again. What I do count on however, is Reese's ability to fix that problem this offseason.

NYGRealityCheck
03-03-2012, 07:20 PM
Stopping the passing game of Eli with the Nicks-Manningham-Cruz combo and Ballard was easier Said than Done for opponents this past season...

Now that Manningham is going to relish the free agency market and Ballard might be out at least midway into next season, opposing defenses can breathe a sigh of relief...until Reese figures out a solution.

dave56dj
03-03-2012, 07:26 PM
Please note that while bellicheck said it was a cruz and nicks game - and mario did end up with an awesome final drive - Hakeem still had 10 catches for over 130 and Cruz did catch a TD. So stopping them alone is a tough task and be sure there will be more weapons - including AB.

buffyblue
03-03-2012, 07:37 PM
We need to fix the offensive line and improve the run game. We won SuperBowl as basically a one dimensional deep ball offense. A lot of folks don't realize that maybe only Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers are the only two other QBs that could have done what Eli Manning did with the way our offense was set up this year. Drew Brees would not have been able to handle the constant pressuse from defenses that Eli Manning did this past season.

Look for oppossing offenses to try and eat up the clock against us to keep Eli Manning off the field.

myles2424
03-03-2012, 07:39 PM
We caused a scene with the passing game this year,wich why I think its urgent to find a legit TE & fix the running game

Diamondring
03-03-2012, 09:07 PM
We caused a scene with the passing game this year,wich why I think its urgent to find a legit TE & fix the running gameI want that traditional te who can block and catch the ball. If we can get a guy like that, the Giants can do a lot of things and really be a tough team to beat.

Voldamort
03-03-2012, 09:55 PM
what would you do?

GameTime
03-03-2012, 11:11 PM
I think teams do that no matter who's the QB. Even we had to shut down the Pats' run game in order to get a pass rush on Brady on 3rd and long.

I think it was a miracle that we won a SB with such a horrible run game and I wouldn't count on it to happen again. What I do count on however, is Reese's ability to fix that problem this offseason.
</P>

they had 115 yards in the SB.......</P>

BigBlue1971
03-03-2012, 11:57 PM
I remember not too far ago, some posters may have said that the Giants's opponents put up a defense to stop the Giants running game and let Eli beat them with passing the ball for their reasons. One of them was that Eli threw a lot of ints, so the more chances he threw the ball, the more chances the ball could end up in a defender's hands. Now that Eli is a real big weapon by being a big factor in the Giants winning the Superbowl for the second time, what the other teams are going to do now, try to take away the pass and let the run beat them? If so can they do it?</P>

</P>

Eli is the key for this offense! hes real good at what he does and he probably hasnt even reached his peak yet!</P>

if we have a"good to very good" rushing attack, it could spell doom for opponents with Eli picking them apart as well! i think our rushing will be very good, with or without Jacobs.</P>

i believe on any given Sunday anyone can stop anyone else. its all breaks in the nfl and it depends on who takes advantage!</P>

JJC7301
03-04-2012, 01:28 AM
The part that bothers me is I don't think they really had to try hard to stop the run. The OL was not good and it was hard for them to keep both RB's healthy all year. In fact they where never completely healthy.

I would love for them to fix the running game. I know they won the Super Bowl and all with a bad run game, but next year they will be the hunted. Not that Eli can not beat a defense, but it's always. Ether to not be one dimentional.
I still think that AB and BJ can be very effective for an entire season as long as the o-line is playing at a higher level. When Snee and Seubert were in their prime, we had the best running game in the league.

Focus on the o-line.

Harooni
03-04-2012, 01:31 AM
We seem to survive off the big play. we throw deep and hope for a catch or PI. teams will probably play to limit that.

I think they have to respect Eli more now.

JJC7301
03-04-2012, 01:52 AM
We seem to survive off the big play. we throw deep and hope for a catch or PI.* teams will probably play to limit that.

I think they have to respect Eli more now.

and respect Nicks and Cruz more. Not having that 3rd option without MM and Ballard will hurt. We need a 3rd option to step up or draft.

miked1958
03-04-2012, 03:15 AM
I remember not too far ago, some posters may have said that the Giants's opponents put up a defense to stop the Giants running game and let Eli beat them with passing the ball for their reasons. One of them was that Eli threw a lot of ints, so the more chances he threw the ball, the more chances the ball could end up in a defender's hands.

Now that Eli is a real big weapon by being a big factor in the Giants winning the Superbowl for the second time, what the other teams are going to do now, try to take away the pass and let the run beat them? If so can they do it?
Scary thing is I don't think we have seen the best from Eli yet. His confidence is growing and he will play even better next season

Toadofsteel
03-05-2012, 04:48 AM
We need to stay focused on O-line. I have a feeling Jernigan is set to have a breakout year in 2012, keeping Eli's options open. Better blocking will improve the run game. Jacobs is best running up the middle, and if our blockers can create holes, he can create havoc. Or, if he's gone in 2012, I think that Da'Rel Scott is also set to have a breakout year and could very well complement Bradshaw.

Honestly though, the passing game is the least of my worries, even without Ballard or MM. Eli proved that he can throw to any eligible receiver on the field. And I saw that again and again from the jets game onward: one lesser-known target, like Pascoe or Hynocerous, would saunter into the defensive backfield, completely open because nobody is expecting him downfield, and catching the easy pass.

Diamondring
03-05-2012, 06:10 AM
NEVER O-LINE AND RB are below averageIs it because they had a bad year or they aren't good especially for the rbs? They ran good for us in the past and they aren't old.

Diamondring
03-05-2012, 06:15 AM
I asked my question because of the past when the Giants had trouble running the ball some in 09. The defenses put up men in the front to stop the run and let Eli beat them through the air. The opponents did just that and it resuited in Eli throwing a lot of ints in 010. Giants had some success running the ball in t6hat year, but I also think that our rbs fumbled the ball and didn't run the clock out in some other games when Giants had the lead like the second game against the Eagles in 010.

Diamondring
03-05-2012, 06:29 AM
We need to stay focused on O-line. I have a feeling Jernigan is set to have a breakout year in 2012, keeping Eli's options open. Better blocking will improve the run game. Jacobs is best running up the middle, and if our blockers can create holes, he can create havoc. Or, if he's gone in 2012, I think that Da'Rel Scott is also set to have a breakout year and could very well complement Bradshaw.

Honestly though, the passing game is the least of my worries, even without Ballard or MM. Eli proved that he can throw to any eligible receiver on the field. And I saw that again and again from the jets game onward: one lesser-known target, like Pascoe or Hynocerous, would saunter into the defensive backfield, completely open because nobody is expecting him downfield, and catching the easy pass.I think that Eli still need other options than his primary receivrs since there are going to be some teams that will have enough power to beat us and put up points.

In 09, I felt that the Giants played a lot of high powered scoring offensive teams. Their offense was so good that I think that Sheridan shouldn't be at fault for the defense giving up points to those teams.

Our offense should have been a freakish offense able to score a lot of points in almost every game because we had a lot of talent.

I thought we were going to have at least ten wins and should have had that. Our offense didn't break records like I think it should.

Last year, the offense scored and kept up with other teams offense like the Packers in the regular season and we beaten the Egals one time and Dallas twice. Against the Saints, our offense didn't keep up with their offense and we got beat down like we stole something, In the playoffs, our offense was still doing its thing and our defense kept playing well.

nygsb42champs
03-05-2012, 09:09 AM
I think it will be totally opposite. They will try to shut down our passing game and make us beat them with the run.

egyptian420
03-05-2012, 10:52 AM

</p>

they had 115 yards in the SB.......</p>
I don't mean in the SB, I mean we had a terrible year rushing the ball and it's a miracle we were able to get to the SB like that.

I give Eli a ton of credit for basically carrying us on his back, but to expect to get to another title with the rushing stats we had this year is ridiculous.

Diamondring
03-05-2012, 11:21 AM

</p>

I don't mean in the SB, I mean we had a terrible year rushing the ball and it's a miracle we were able to get to the SB like that.

I give Eli a ton of credit for basically carrying us on his back, but to expect to get to another title with the rushing stats we had this year is ridiculous.
I think that the Giants can do it again long as they have enough talent. Even though the Pats haven't won a Superbowl for some time, they have had a winning record even after Spygate is kind of awesome.

egyptian420
03-05-2012, 11:24 AM

</p>

I think that the Giants can do it again long as they have enough talent. Even though the Pats haven't won a Superbowl for some time, they have had a winning record even after Spygate is kind of awesome.
I trust in Eli to do the impossible, but why force him to win with a bad running game? I like to think in a cold weather city like NY that we can pound the ball, run the clock, and pass the ball.

No matter who you are, it's never a positive thing to be one dimensional. Even though we won the SB, I can guarantee you Coughlin isn't impressed with our O-line play this season, and rightfully so.

Toadofsteel
03-05-2012, 12:32 PM
No matter who you are, it's never a positive thing to be one dimensional. Even though we won the SB, I can guarantee you Coughlin isn't impressed with our O-line play this season, and rightfully so.

This is why I said that the O-line is the biggest need for improvement. Whether it only involves a full offseason with healthy players truly getting into their role, or it requires drafting or otherwise acquiring younger talent, this issue NEEDS to be fixed. Without improvement here, you could have Emmitt Smith and not be able to do anything with the run game. Bradshaw is still ticking along, I think that Jacobs still has one more year of potential in him (if we can get him to agree to a pay cut so we can keep him), and Da'Rel Scott is set for a breakout year. We just need to be able to run block worth a damn in order to give them a chance.

TrueBlue@NYC
03-05-2012, 01:08 PM
Every team tries to stop the run b/c it puts the defense in favorable situations on 3rd down. I think alot of teams will do what the Pats did in the SB. </P>

They'll play alot of cover 2 shell and force the offense to methodically march downfield. As good as the offense was during the season, ALOT of it relied on getting big plays downfield for scores. We didn't have alot of sustained type drives for TDs'. </P>

If the they're able to solidify the OL during the offseason, they'll be able to use the run to pull teams out of those types of coverages and it'll open things up more for those big plays. </P>

giantsfan420
03-05-2012, 02:05 PM
Every team tries to stop the run b/c it puts the defense in favorable situations on 3rd down. I think alot of teams will do what the Pats did in the SB. </P>

They'll play alot of cover 2 shell and force the offense to methodically march downfield. As good as the offense was during the season, ALOT of it relied on getting big plays downfield for scores. We didn't have alot of sustained type drives for TDs'. </P>

If the they're able to solidify the OL during the offseason, they'll be able to use the run to pull teams out of those types of coverages and it'll open things up more for those big plays. </P>

which is exactly why a guy like SS could do wonders for us. he is an amazing possession wr who is capable of pulling in 4 or more passes a drive, a big time 3rd down converter.

it doesnt have to be SS, but its got to be a guy who offers what SS does, which is why I assume we'll look at signing Smith.

Diamondring
03-05-2012, 03:22 PM

</p>

I trust in Eli to do the impossible, but why force him to win with a bad running game? I like to think in a cold weather city like NY that we can pound the ball, run the clock, and pass the ball.

I hope we can get more players to run the ball consistant. We still have to realize that no team is pefect and the running game may be bad for some time if Giants don't imrpove on the run.

Did the Giants use double team blocking in the Superbowl with success? If so then that is one of the solutions of running the ball well.I hope they still have that killer instince and don't slack off. Keep on going with what they are doing and win them games.