PDA

View Full Version : Where do we REALLY need help on the O-LINE?

hungrrrry
03-03-2012, 01:52 PM
Don't misunderstand...we need to rework the O-line a bit but do you think we REEEAALLLLLLLYYYY need a new body there that isn't already there in the starting line-up or onour current depth chart?</P>

<U>Problems</U>:</P>

1...Yes, Diehl is starting to slow down on the left side at tackleand wasn't lighting the world on fire at LG.</P>

2...Yes, McKensie is tired and inconsistant on the right side at tackle, which is the easier side since Eli is a RH QB.</P>

3...Yes, Baas was ineffective in the run-game and just OK in the passing game.</P>

4...Yes, Snee was dinged and seemed inconsistant for a couple games, but improved.</P>

5...Yes, our LG position was never nailed-down by anyone player</P>

<U>Solutions</U>: </P>

1...Pull Diehl from the left side altogether and use Beatty at LT, given he will be healthy and Brewer behind him on the depth chart with Diehl as an emergency.</P>

2...McKensie will likely be released...Diehl slides right in at RT where he could be solid for another couple years, certainly. Brewer as depth also or draft pick.</P>

3...I expect Baas will improve significantly with a full season and soon a fulloffseason program (citing that as the main reason for his deficiencies at Center)...Boothe as depth.</P>

4...Snee is fine...Boothe as depth</P>

5...I can't think of a more capable OLineman than Petrus at LG. I think he will come into his own in 2012 and solidify that position for years to come...Boothe as depth</P>

...if anything, the line just needs shuffling a little, a good full off-season and maybe a promising rookie, but depth may be all we need at this point.</P>

I don't think I would burn valuable cap space on linemen and maybe look at RB help preferrably in free agency.</P>

We could then focus on our LB's, a TEor a DL if Austin isn't capably ready</P>

I believe we have a great starting core already on both sides of the ball...we just need a little tweaking!</P>

</P>

myles2424
03-03-2012, 02:00 PM
I think a draft pick & few adjustments and it'll be fine......baas at center scares me

hungrrrry
03-03-2012, 02:05 PM
I think a draft pick &amp; few adjustments and it'll be fine......baas at center scares meYou have tokeep in mindthe circumstances, Baas didn't have alot of time to learn the system here nor to build chemistry among the other players. I hope but very much believe things will get better with him at center. I was angry with his inability to help with the run-game but had to bear in mind the lock-out probably hampered alot offree agentsthat were new to a team last season.

BlueSanta
03-03-2012, 02:08 PM
Don't misunderstand...we need to rework the O-line a bit but do you think we REEEAALLLLLLLYYYY need a new body there that isn't already there in the starting line-up or onour current depth chart?</p>

<u>Problems</u>:</p>

1...Yes, Diehl is starting to slow down on the left side at tackleand wasn't lighting the world on fire at LG.</p>

2...Yes, McKensie is tired and inconsistant on the right side at tackle, which is the easier side since Eli is a RH QB.</p>

3...Yes, Baas was ineffective in the run-game and just OK in the passing game.</p>

4...Yes, Snee was dinged and seemed inconsistant for a couple games, but improved.</p>

5...Yes, our LG position was never nailed-down by anyone player</p>

<u>Solutions</u>: </p>

1...Pull Diehl from the left side altogether and use Beatty at LT, given he will be healthy and Brewer behind him on the depth chart with Diehl as an emergency.</p>

2...McKensie will likely be released...Diehl slides right in at RT where he could be solid for another couple years, certainly. Brewer as depth also or draft pick.</p>

3...I expect Baas will improve significantly with a full season and soon a fulloffseason program (citing that as the main reason for his deficiencies at Center)...Boothe as depth.</p>

4...Snee is fine...Boothe as depth</p>

5...I can't think of a more capable OLineman than Petrus at LG. I think he will come into his own in 2012 and solidify that position for years to come...Boothe as depth</p>

...if anything, the line just needs shuffling a little, a good full off-season and maybe a promising rookie, but depth may be all we need at this point.</p>

I don't think I would burn valuable cap space on linemen and maybe look at RB help preferrably in free agency.</p>

We could then focus on our LB's, a TEor a DL if Austin isn't capably ready</p>

I believe we have a great starting core already on both sides of the ball...we just need a little tweaking!</p>

</p>

Statistically we were 1 of the poorest Olines in football, while we did improve as a group Mckenzie got worse as the season progressed. I think Petrus did ok when stepping in, but he isnt a good passblocker.

If we do not seriously address the oline we put Eli at risk. He was hit far too often this year.

We also had a LOT of holding calls on our edge blockers.

bflo23
03-03-2012, 02:09 PM
It is inexcusable for the way that the o-line played in 2011 with the running game. They were ranked last in the nfl and it really wasn't the fault of Bradshaw and Jacobs. The line failed to create holes for them.

Diehl was probably the weakest link and is suppose to make nearly $4 million now. Is he worth $4 million with the way he struggled? No way! McKenzie is a FA and getting old. 2 spots that should be replaced. They should look at o-lineman in the draft. Wish for Gordy Glenn but that is wishful thinking in the 1st round.

TheEnigma
03-03-2012, 02:17 PM
Diehl starting in any position scares me next year. He was probably the worst starting lineman in the league.

I'm not too worried about the interior of the line with Petrus, Baas, and Snee as starters. Petrus is still raw in his pass blocking but I'm confident he'll get better in the offseason. I'm willing to give Baas another year and chalk it up to a new system and him being injured. Snee might of just had an offyear so I'm okay with him still around.

If we target any position, it'll probably be Tackle. Diehl and Kmac played too poorly and cost too much to keep around. Lets hope that we can draft a tackle who can play either the left or right side to give both Beatty and Brewer some competition.

RagTime Blue
03-03-2012, 02:22 PM
I agree with the OP on almost everything. Except I see Brewer at the RT of the future and Diehl as RT of the present.

Diehl is just so versatile, I don't think the Giants are ready to get rid of him, or even try to give him a pay cut just yet.

Plus, I consider the TE to be part of the O-line. I think we get the very best blocking TE in the draft (wherever value presents a candidate), and Eli turns him into the next Jake Ballard.

jhamburg
03-03-2012, 02:30 PM
Someone please give me an explanation as to why Boothe doesn't deserve to start on this line.

Voldamort
03-03-2012, 02:39 PM
Don't misunderstand...we need to rework the O-line a bit but do you think we REEEAALLLLLLLYYYY need a new body there that isn't already there in the starting line-up or on*our current depth chart?</P>

1...Yes, Diehl is starting to slow down on the left side at tackle*and wasn't lighting the world on fire at LG.</P>

2...Yes, McKensie is tired and inconsistant on the right side at tackle, which is the easier side since Eli is a RH QB.</P>

3...Yes, Baas was ineffective in the run-game and just OK in the passing game.</P>

4...Yes, Snee was dinged and seemed inconsistant for a couple games, but improved.</P>

1...Pull Diehl from the left side altogether and use Beatty at LT, given he will be healthy and Brewer behind him on the depth chart with Diehl as an emergency.</P>

2...McKensie will likely be released...Diehl slides right in at RT where he could be solid for another couple years, certainly. Brewer as depth also or draft pick.</P>

3...I expect Baas will improve significantly with a full season and soon a full*offseason program (citing that as the main reason for his deficiencies at Center)...Boothe as depth.</P>

5...I can't think of a more capable OLineman than Petrus at LG. I think he will come into his own in 2012 and solidify that position for years to come...Boothe as depth</P>

...if anything, the line just needs shuffling a little, a good full off-season and maybe a promising rookie, but depth may be all we need at this point.</P>

I don't think I would burn valuable cap space on linemen and maybe look at RB help preferrably in free agency.</P>

We could then focus on our LB's, a TE*or a DL if Austin isn't capably ready</P>

I believe we have a great starting core already on both sides of the ball...we just need a little tweaking!</P>

*</P>Great post I like the O-line with Beatty at LT,Petrus LG, Bass C, Snee RG,Diehl RT, Boothe,Cordle,Brewer,Andrews and Ogoh are all the backup's! TE,LB,S,DT,CB all need help! Punt and Kickoff returner would be nice!

TheEnigma
03-03-2012, 02:42 PM
Someone please give me an explanation as to why Boothe doesn't deserve to start on this line.It's more that I personally think that there's some reason that Boothe hasn't cracked the starting lineup since he arrived in 2007. I wouldn't mind him starting but I just don't see it happening for some reason. Don't mind if I'm wrong here though.

jhamburg
03-03-2012, 04:11 PM
Someone please give me an explanation as to why Boothe doesn't deserve to start on this line.It's more that I personally think that there's some reason that Boothe hasn't cracked the starting lineup since he arrived in 2007. I wouldn't mind him starting but I just don't see it happening for some reason. Don't mind if I'm wrong here though.

I'm not concerned about what he did 2007-2010, I'm concerned about what he did when he had the most playing time in 2011.

buddy33
03-03-2012, 04:45 PM
Beatty was playing well at LT. The problem with him is staying healthy. I think Diehl might be gone unless he restructures. Hopefully Bass has a better year while staying healthy. I think D Ed had some issues this year because Center and RT where playing do poorly.

Can Brewer step up? Can Boothe play as a full time starter? I do like Petrus, but I'm not sold on him. Another poster said he let like two pressures in just 5 snaps in one game or something like that. I think he is a better run blocker.

gmen0820
03-03-2012, 04:52 PM
Replace Diehl and McKenzie. I used to think Diehl could kick to the right side, but I don't think he can play anywhere on the line anymore.

Breezely
03-03-2012, 05:02 PM
I believe it would be a good idea to draft a lineman in the later rounds. I just think it is good to have depth on the line and for some of the reasons you have stated: inconsistency.

TheEnigma
03-03-2012, 05:07 PM

I'm not concerned about what he did 2007-2010, I'm concerned about what he did when he had the most playing time in 2011.Oh, I understand what you are saying completely. I'd say that Boothe has been better than Diehl since the 2010 season and deserved a starting spot. I just don't think the coaching staff sees it that way.

BlueBlitzer
03-03-2012, 05:22 PM
We would all like the Giants to run the ball better, but didn't we win a Super Bowl with these guys ? That said. I believe these OTs are Team first players. It would not surprize me one bit, if both restructured their deals to stay on.

JesseJames
03-03-2012, 05:31 PM
Someone please give me an explanation as to why Boothe doesn't deserve to start on this line.+1

nhpgiantsfan
03-03-2012, 05:34 PM
Boothe didn't crack the lineup before this year because whe had a really good veteran line. He was the most consistent gu on the line this year. Why do people keep saying the coaches don't see
him as a starter. Then tell me why they would see Petrus as a
starter. They obviously had Boothe ahead of Petrus this year, so
what did Boothe do this year to lose his job to Petrus next year?
I don't understand the love for Petrus. Nobody has seen
enough of him to detmine that he needs to start. We now have a proven solid LG.

And to the OP, right tackle is not easier than left tackle. Teams just put their better player at LT because if the RT gets beat at least the QB can see the rush coming. Both are equally as difficult though.

TheEnigma
03-03-2012, 05:45 PM
Boothe didn't crack the lineup before this year because whe had a really good veteran line. He was the most consistent gu on the line this year. Why do people keep saying the coaches don't see
enough of him to detmine that he needs to start. We now have a proven solid LG.Boothe was better than Diehl this year and dare I even say for the 2010 season as well. If he was a starter at this point, he wouldn't only be seeing action when someone else is hurt which is the case so far.

I've already explained this in another thread before but Petrus is very strong (tied the combine bench press in 2010) and a fantastic run blocker but a little raw in pass blocking. I think with another offseason, he will develop and become even better than he was for us this season. Of course, I don't think he's going to win the job easily as Boothe will provide competition but that is just my guess. I've said before...if we are playing a game tomorrow, I'd take Boothe.

Voldamort
03-03-2012, 05:47 PM
yes we do

Voldamort
03-03-2012, 05:57 PM
yes we do a LT

hungrrrry
03-03-2012, 06:34 PM
Someone please give me an explanation as to why Boothe doesn't deserve to start on this line.It's more that I personally think that there's some reason that Boothe hasn't cracked the starting lineup since he arrived in 2007. I wouldn't mind him starting but I just don't see it happening for some reason. Don't mind if I'm wrong here though. Boothe didn't crack the lineup before this year because whe had a really good veteran line. He was the most consistent gu on the line this year. Why do people keep saying the coaches don't see him as a starter. Then tell me why they would see Petrus as a starter. They obviously had Boothe ahead of Petrus this year, so what did Boothe do this year to lose his job to Petrus next year? I don't understand the love for Petrus. Nobody has seen enough of him to detmine that he needs to start. We now have a proven solid LG. And to the OP, right tackle is not easier than left tackle. Teams just put their better player at LT because if the RT gets beat at least the QB can see the rush coming. Both are equally as difficult though.It is easier because of the very reason you just said...nothing to do with the fundamentals of the position except a few things change when you work the same side that the QB throws from.

jhamburg
03-03-2012, 07:13 PM
enough of him to detmine that he needs to start. We now have a proven solid LG.

And to the OP, right tackle is not easier than left tackle. Teams just put their better player at LT because if the RT gets beat at least the QB can see the rush coming. Both are equally as difficult though.

What about the fact that every team puts their best pass rusher against the LT? It's not easier to block Spencer than Ware?

nhpgiantsfan
03-03-2012, 10:07 PM
Then why did we have Strahan at left end against the right tackle for his whole career?

jhamburg
03-03-2012, 10:17 PM
Then why did we have Strahan at left end against the right tackle for his whole career?

I dunno, how many times do you think we'll be facing Strahan next year?

nhpgiantsfan
03-03-2012, 10:28 PM

Stupid response. I was just showing you how your argument about where the best DE's line up is nonsense.

jhamburg
03-03-2012, 10:40 PM

Stupid response. I was just showing you how your argument about where the best DE's line up is nonsense.

How is it nonsense? Because one guy who isn't even playing anymore lined up on the left?

Brandon jacobs
03-03-2012, 11:04 PM

How is it nonsense? Because one guy who isn't even playing anymore lined up on the left?

we did remarkably well considering coming off the short off season/lockout.

JJC7301
03-04-2012, 12:13 AM
Don't misunderstand...we need to rework the O-line a bit but do you think we REEEAALLLLLLLYYYY need a new body there that isn't already there in the starting line-up or on*our current depth chart?</P>

1...Yes, Diehl is starting to slow down on the left side at tackle*and wasn't lighting the world on fire at LG.</P>

3...I expect Baas will improve significantly with a full season and soon a full*offseason program (citing that as the main reason for his deficiencies at Center)...Boothe as depth.</P>

*</P>
I agree with you on the state of the o-line, but I give Boothe a chance to win that G position -- he deserves to compete against Petrus for it.

If Diehl is starting anywhere on the line in '12, I think we're in trouble but I like him as back-up.

I'm not sold on Beatty at all. I'd like do draft a replacement for him (would LOVE Cordy Glenn who can play both G & T). Brewer is probably going to replace MacKenzie.

SweetZombieJesus
03-04-2012, 08:00 AM
Everybody but Snee should be worried about their jobs. Even Snee is a 2004 draft pick, is he not?

Maybe, MAYBE keep Diehl as a spare part.

When you can't open a hole for Jacobs to get 1 yard, polish up the resume.

BParcells777
03-04-2012, 09:03 AM
No in Boothe and Petrus with Deihl remaining at LT we are just fine

03-04-2012, 10:57 AM
It is time to invest a high pick in Left Tackle ..Mike Adams just might be the BPA at 32

Tony Bruno
03-05-2012, 10:58 AM
You can always use Tackles... Center will be looked at too...

TrueBlue@NYC
03-05-2012, 12:22 PM
The OP does present a viable option for the team, and I don't think anyone would be too surprised to see that OL next season. Then again, I don't think anyone would be surprised if it worked out differently as well. </P>

Biggest improvement I think we'll see if Baas next season. FA's often need a year to get acclimated with a team. Just look at how much Boley and Canty improved in their second seasons. I think you'll see something similar with Baas b/c he really was a good player in SF for a number of seasons. </P>

I think Dehl needs to make a concerted effort to make RT his new home. It's not always easy for guys to switch sides, but the Giants have always made their OL practice in different spots and he worked some at RT last offseason. His skill set translates well there. </P>

Either way, they need to draft an OT prospect somewhere. </P>

MattMeyerBud
03-05-2012, 12:33 PM
Don't misunderstand...we need to rework the O-line a bit but do you think we REEEAALLLLLLLYYYY need a new body there that isn't already there in the starting line-up or onour current depth chart?</p>

<u>Problems</u>:</p>

1...Yes, Diehl is starting to slow down on the left side at tackleand wasn't lighting the world on fire at LG.</p>

2...Yes, McKensie is tired and inconsistant on the right side at tackle, which is the easier side since Eli is a RH QB.</p>

3...Yes, Baas was ineffective in the run-game and just OK in the passing game.</p>

4...Yes, Snee was dinged and seemed inconsistant for a couple games, but improved.</p>

5...Yes, our LG position was never nailed-down by anyone player</p>

<u>Solutions</u>: </p>

1...Pull Diehl from the left side altogether and use Beatty at LT, given he will be healthy and Brewer behind him on the depth chart with Diehl as an emergency.</p>

2...McKensie will likely be released...Diehl slides right in at RT where he could be solid for another couple years, certainly. Brewer as depth also or draft pick.</p>

3...I expect Baas will improve significantly with a full season and soon a fulloffseason program (citing that as the main reason for his deficiencies at Center)...Boothe as depth.</p>

4...Snee is fine...Boothe as depth</p>

5...I can't think of a more capable OLineman than Petrus at LG. I think he will come into his own in 2012 and solidify that position for years to come...Boothe as depth</p>

...if anything, the line just needs shuffling a little, a good full off-season and maybe a promising rookie, but depth may be all we need at this point.</p>

I don't think I would burn valuable cap space on linemen and maybe look at RB help preferrably in free agency.</p>

We could then focus on our LB's, a TEor a DL if Austin isn't capably ready</p>

I believe we have a great starting core already on both sides of the ball...we just need a little tweaking!</p>

</p>

our interior line is fine but we def have an issue at RT this year and I wouldn't say i feel completely secure between Diehl and Beatty at LT

burier
03-05-2012, 01:03 PM

*</P>

Ok so Diehl is making too much money to use as depth. That would be ideal but he'd need his contract drastically reworked.

Also David Diehl at RT deep 6s the season. Point blank. He can't play that position. We run the ball to the right around 80 percent of the time. HE'd get manhandled and we'd be even worse running the ball than we were this season.

He won't be able to pass protect on 3rd and long from that side either. Diehl at Right Tackle would be hell on earth. A total nightmare. It can't happen. Eli would die. I can't stress how bad this would be enough.

I thought McKensie's contract was up. Is that not the case?

Anyway. I dont thin Baas is going to improve much but he played well enough at the end of the season. So we can deal with him.

I'd send Diehl packing and move Beatty back in at LT. Play Boothe/petrus at LG, Snee is fine at RG and move move Brewer in at RT and keep it moving. I really think thats the best line we can muster.

Don't really know what you saw last year to lead you to believe we have a great core

hungrrrry
03-06-2012, 01:32 PM
Don't misunderstand...we need to rework the O-line a bit but do you think we REEEAALLLLLLLYYYY need a new body there that isn't already there in the starting line-up or onour current depth chart?</P>

1...Yes, Diehl is starting to slow down on the left side at tackleand wasn't lighting the world on fire at LG.</P>

3...I expect Baas will improve significantly with a full season and soon a fulloffseason program (citing that as the main reason for his deficiencies at Center)...Boothe as depth.</P>

We could then focus on our LB's, a TEor a DL if Austin isn't capably ready</P>

</P> Ok so Diehl is making too much money to use as depth. That would be ideal but he'd need his contract drastically reworked. Also David Diehl at RT deep 6s the season. Point blank. He can't play that position. We run the ball to the right around 80 percent of the time. HE'd get manhandled and we'd be even worse running the ball than we were this season. He won't be able to pass protect on 3rd and long from that side either. Diehl at Right Tackle would be hell on earth. A total nightmare. It can't happen. Eli would die. I can't stress how bad this would be enough. I thought McKensie's contract was up. Is that not the case? Anyway. I dont thin Baas is going to improve much but he played well enough at the end of the season. So we can deal with him. I'd send Diehl packing and move Beatty back in at LT. Play Boothe/petrus at LG, Snee is fine at RG and move move Brewer in at RT and keep it moving. I really think thats the best line we can muster. Don't really know what you saw last year to lead you to believe we have a great coreDid we even see Brewer play? Throwing him at a starter position is scarier than Diehl! We don't know what we have in Brewer! If he can beat Diehl for the spot them so be it but if he can't prove he should have it against one of our oldest linemen then I wouldn't do any annointing yet. Diehl played on the right before McKensie took over...for a whole season I believe. I don't see how that deep 6's our season! I don't see greatness in our core but I see a line that will be significantly better than 2011 if they line up as I suggested here.

DelawareGiants
03-06-2012, 02:01 PM
I tend to agree with your moves on the OL but none of the moves should be automatic- we need to allow competition at C between Cordle, Baas, and maybe even Booth, LG should have competition between Petrus and Booth also.

BlueSanta
03-06-2012, 02:14 PM
You make it sound as if switching Diehl to RT is just a afterthought. It is something some teams ask young players to do. But it is NOT an easy transition. It requires a right footed dropstep rather than a left footed. Thats not far off from asking a right handed person to learn writing with his left.

hungrrrry
03-06-2012, 05:22 PM
You make it sound as if switching Diehl to RT is just a afterthought. It is something some teams ask young players to do. But it is NOT an easy transition. It requires a right footed dropstep rather than a left footed. Thats not far off from asking a right handed person to learn writing with his left.

Not to brag but I can do alot of things with me left and right:</P>

I can:</P>

Throw (not just throw but throw accurately and with good speed), write, kick and punch, bat, shot a gun, shoot a bow, cast and reel a fishing pole, play golf, shoot pool and the other common bar game and where it all started when I was a kid, throw darts....It can be learned as I was a right hander when I was young...granted, you can't expect everyone to do so, however, as I said, Diehl has played RT for at least a full season.</P>

</P>

TrueBlue@NYC
03-06-2012, 05:31 PM

</P>

It certainly isn't a small transition fromLT to RT, but many older players have done it in the past. And it's not like Dehl has never been on the right side. </P>

He's practiced at RT for each of the past three training camps. So it wouldn't be completely new to him. </P>

I'm basing my thought on his skill set. </P>

MattMeyerBud
03-06-2012, 05:36 PM
any shot at landing Rich Seuburt this year for a vet min?

TrueBlue@NYC
03-06-2012, 05:40 PM
any shot at landing Rich Seuburt this year for a vet min?

</P>

That'd be interesting. Though, in a speech that TC gave before one of the playoff games I know he referenced Seubert as being a former player, and that he fought through alot before an injury forced him to retire (which was not what I was under the impression of). </P>

If they didn't bring him back last season, I'm thinking he may not have healed right from his last injury. </P>

I'm actually excited about seeing if Koets can come back a provide some competition for Baas at center. </P>

lawl
03-06-2012, 06:24 PM
Diehl shouldn't be penciled in to start at any position

TheEnigma
03-06-2012, 06:29 PM
Diehl shouldn't be penciled in to start at any positionSeems like he's trying to pencil himself in at NFL Network. He's been showing up there a few times recently.