PDA

View Full Version : drew brees?

buffyblue
03-03-2012, 04:56 PM
Is there a reason why NO Saints have not signed Drew Brees yet?

I know it is far fetched but could it be possible that they think maybe they can get Peyton Manning real cheap?

egyptian420
03-03-2012, 04:58 PM
they just franchised him

bLuereverie
03-03-2012, 06:06 PM
From what I read, they already offered him the largest contract in history. For whatever reason Brees hasn't been inked yet, they're not holding out for Peyton.

egyptian420
03-03-2012, 07:02 PM
From what I read, they already offered him the largest contract in history. For whatever reason Brees hasn't been inked yet, they're not holding out for Peyton.
Apparently him and his agent were no where near coming close to a deal with the Saints. They were off by 5 mill I heard on BSPN....now they tag him...

I have a feeling they're just buying time until they can come to a deal.

Voldamort
03-03-2012, 07:14 PM
is he worth the money.at his age? Eli makes 15 mil,, Peyton makes 28 mil. Eli has 2rings? Brees has one ring? He has 4 all pro's on his O? No Nicks the sacks will go up? No Colston let's see how he does! Suebert,O'hara,Smith and Boss he didn't miss a beat? is he worth the money 1 ring??????

bLuereverie
03-03-2012, 07:17 PM
Apparently him and his agent were no where near coming close to a deal with the Saints. They were off by 5 mill I heard on BSPN....now they tag him...

I have a feeling they're just buying time until they can come to a deal.

I heard Saints already offered a contract more than Peyton/Brady. The conflict occurs within the first three years. Maybe Brees is asking for more guaranteed money than they're willing to offer as well as a front loaded contract. This could very well be his last contract, he could want an early roster bonus.

buffyblue
03-03-2012, 07:30 PM
That makes sense, thanks guys.

The guy is great buy I don't think he should be getting as much money as Tom Brady or Eli Manning.

Flip Empty
03-04-2012, 12:25 AM
is he worth the money.at his age? Eli makes 15 mil,, Peyton makes 28 mil. Eli has 2rings? Brees has one ring? He has 4 all pro's on his O? No Nicks the sacks will go up? No Colston let's see how he does! Suebert,O'hara,Smith and Boss he didn't miss a beat? is he worth the money 1 ring??????
He's a top 5 quarterback, of course he deserves it.

gmen0820
03-04-2012, 12:29 AM
I heard the Saints wanted to pay him as a good not great QB, which is mind blowing.

Flip Empty
03-04-2012, 08:22 AM
I heard the Saints wanted to pay him as a good not great QB, which is mind blowing.
They have cap troubles of their own and having three big pieces of their offense coming off contract at the same time has got to make things difficult.

Still, considering all Brees has done for that franchise, it's pretty disrespectful if they actually are trying to low-ball him. Peyton and Brady have been paid so now it's Drew's turn.

jjj45
03-04-2012, 09:20 AM
They have cap troubles of their own and having three big pieces of their offense coming off contract at the same time has got to make things difficult.

Still, considering all Brees has done for that franchise, it's pretty disrespectful if they actually are trying to low-ball him. Peyton and Brady have been paid so now it's Drew's turn.Yeah and people say that we low-balled Smith. (we didn't by the way) He didn't mean half as much to us as Brees does to the Saints. We payed our franchise guy (Eli) Time for the Saints to do the same.

swimeasy
03-04-2012, 01:39 PM

Idk, Voldamort has made some great points here about their Oline and Saints fans are starting to have a meltdown about Nicks and Colston so their fanbase also acknowledge the contributions of these two players to Brees' production capabilities. Competing fanbases have called Brees a system qb which was a tag that haters attached to Eli. If this last season proved nothing else, it was that Eli was not a system qb and now has 2 rings. If Eli is at 15 mil and they offered Brees a record setting amount for NFL qbs, there's no disrespect there. Saints fans were hoping they could come to terms so the franchise tag could be applied to Nicks or Colston instead and some are actually upset with Brees because of it.

gmen0820
03-04-2012, 01:55 PM
Competing fanbases have called Brees a system qb which was a tag that haters attached to Eli. There's no hate in calling a QB a system QB, every good QB is a system QB.

Hell, Joe Montana was a system QB. Say Eli couldn't throw a skinny post, and Gilbride called it every series, Eli would be in the wrong system and either Gilbride or Eli would be fired or cut respectively.

If Brees goes, that doesn't mean the next guy up picks up where Brees left off, and has a great year. No, the Saints will tailor their system to that player and it will be heavily compromised. Brees can run everything in that system, like no one else can. Eli can run everything in our system, like no one else can.

This isn't to put you on the spot, it's just a huge misconception in my opinion.

Flip Empty
03-04-2012, 09:36 PM

Idk, Voldamort has made some great points here about their Oline and Saints fans are starting to have a meltdown about Nicks and Colston so their fanbase also acknowledge the contributions of these two players to Brees' production capabilities. Competing fanbases have called Brees a system qb which was a tag that haters attached to Eli. If this last season proved nothing else, it was that Eli was not a system qb and now has 2 rings. If Eli is at 15 mil and they offered Brees a record setting amount for NFL qbs, there's no disrespect there. Saints fans were hoping they could come to terms so the franchise tag could be applied to Nicks or Colston instead and some are actually upset with Brees because of it.

If you watch Brees play you'll see that his line is not infallible. Often you'll see guys break through yet Drew is able to avoid them. He has insane pocket presence and underrated mobility. His late-season game against the Falcons in 2010 would be one of the best showcases for this.

Itlan
03-04-2012, 10:40 PM
He was a $23 average in the first three years, they're offering $17 with a more backloaded contract.

He wants his money upfront, basically.

swimeasy
03-05-2012, 07:16 PM
Competing fanbases have called Brees a system qb which was a tag that haters attached to Eli. There's no hate in calling a QB a system QB, every good QB is a system QB.

Hell, Joe Montana was a system QB. Say Eli couldn't throw a skinny post, and Gilbride called it every series, Eli would be in the wrong system and either Gilbride or Eli would be fired or cut respectively.

If Brees goes, that doesn't mean the next guy up picks up where Brees left off, and has a great year. No, the Saints will tailor their system to that player and it will be heavily compromised. Brees can run everything in that system, like no one else can. Eli can run everything in our system, like no one else can.

This isn't to put you on the spot, it's just a huge misconception in my opinion.

It's all good gmen [:)]

My take is how 'system QB' is used in context. I agree, as a team sport, in the most generic sense, all team QBs are system QBs and good teams will seek to maximize the skill set of the player in this key position by adding players that compliment their skills. But I also think that some opposing fans have reinvented the definition and do use it to suggest in a denigrating way that a system QB is lacking in some skills and if you strip away the supporting cast that will expose the QB limitations. That is what I have come across during the Eli Elite saga.

bronxvgiant
03-05-2012, 08:11 PM
like Peyton would sign with the Saints.I think he stays put n Indy for a couple years.

Flip Empty
03-05-2012, 08:23 PM
like Peyton would sign with the Saints.
Why not? It's his hometown team and his father played for them.
The question is more "why on earth would the Saints let Drew Brees go?" The answer is "They wouldn't".

alau53
03-05-2012, 08:53 PM
brees was offered the largest contract of $18M a yr for 5 yrs..he will only make $14M if he doesnt negotiate..the aints also may lose nicks and colsten because they were unable to be franchised thus they are ufa..