PDA

View Full Version : Nicks-------------------------Smith-------------------------Cruz

NYG4lifeNYK
03-04-2012, 01:04 PM
One of the best young WR's in the league combined with the two best route runners in the league.

If Steve is healthy I'd absolutely love to have him back.. how would you defend that?

You can't NOT double Nicks unless you want to give up a TD, that means we would never fail on 3rd down again with Cruz & Smith....lol

Seriously think of the possibilities. Cruz and Steve Smith are two of the BEST route runners in the NFL. The moves they make make defenders look silly at times.

How would you defend that? There's absolutely no way to.

LT_Hits
03-04-2012, 01:15 PM
SS wont be back as a Giant. Plus, the G-men just resigned D. Hixon. And are in more of a need to sign Manningham if at all possible. Nicks----Manninghma--------Cruz were awesome all year long. not to mention, Nicks out of all the Heyward-bey's, Dez, Britts and co. was the best WR from that 3 yr WR class of drafts. None of this works without "NY" Nicks on this team.

Marvelousmik
03-04-2012, 01:19 PM
One of the best young WR's in the league combined with the two best route runners in the league.

If Steve is healthy I'd absolutely love to have him back.. how would you defend that?

You can't NOT double Nicks unless you want to give up a TD, that means we would never fail on 3rd down again with Cruz & Smith....lol

Seriously think of the possibilities. Cruz and Steve Smith are two of the BEST route runners in the NFL. The moves they make make defenders look silly at times.

I dont think SS is a better route runner than welker or moore on the saints, and i am sure there are more guys out there.

No i dont want smith back. Lets keep the offense dangerous and fast. I'm loving the big plays and the dangerous runs after the catch.

NYG4lifeNYK
03-04-2012, 01:23 PM
SS wont be back as a Giant. Plus, the G-men just resigned D. Hixon. And are in more of a need to sign Manningham if at all possible. Nicks----Manninghma--------Cruz were awesome all year long. not to mention, Nicks out of all the Heyward-bey's, Dez, Britts and co. was the best WR from that 3 yr WR class of drafts. None of this works without "NY" Nicks on this team.

Hixon was signed primarily for return duties. Yes he is a receiver but he is way too injury prone to be dependent on. We need a 3rd receiver and to say Steve Smith won't be back is incredible foolish. What's your reasoning for this?

Manningham is gone my friend, it sucks but he's replaceable. He's a nice talent but with Nicks, Cruz & Smith or someone else we will be just as or even more potent. Rio was wildly inconsistent this season and we were still so deadly.

NYG4lifeNYK
03-04-2012, 01:25 PM

I dont think SS is a better route runner than welker or moore on the saints, and i am sure there are more guys out there.

No i dont want smith back. Lets keep the offense dangerous and fast. I'm loving the big plays and the dangerous runs after the catch.

When he was healthy he was close. Remember the okie-doke he put on scandrick? Jucked him right out of his shoes for the TD...my favorite memory of Steve.

Vtgmenfan89
03-04-2012, 01:39 PM
Yeah Steve Smith sure has looked like the best route runner in the league the past two years...if that's what you mean, and don't give me injury excuses. He barely even cracked the Eagles line up. What'd he have 5 catches? Listen he had a great season with us a few years ago..but stop acting like he's a top 10 wr or something people. We're moving forward with Nicks Cruz and whoever steps up to be number 3. Smith will not be a Giants

NYG4lifeNYK
03-04-2012, 01:41 PM
Yeah Steve Smith sure has looked like the best route runner in the league the past two years...if that's what you mean, and don't give me injury excuses. He barely even cracked the Eagles line up. What'd he have 5 catches? Listen he had a great season with us a few years ago..but stop acting like he's a top 10 wr or something people. We're moving forward with Nicks Cruz and whoever steps up to be number 3. Smith will not be a Giants

Steve Smith was one of the best route runners in the NFL when he was a Giant.

No one said he was top 10 or anything to that effect.

YATittle1962
03-04-2012, 01:41 PM
Smith can stay where the hell he is or go sign with the Cowboys for all I care

the kid is done

dont want him back

Flip Empty
03-04-2012, 01:43 PM
Can't stop the receivers? Dial up the pressure and hit the quarterback. Everything is defendable.

Anyway, the current crop of receivers is fine.

gmen0820
03-04-2012, 01:47 PM
Yeah Steve Smith sure has looked like the best route runner in the league the past two years...if that's what you mean, and don't give me injury excuses. 2010, he was averaging 60 yards a game while constantly being bracketed, and he only played 9 games. How do you want to not accept the fact that he's injured when you mention his lack of production, which is attributed to his health? That'd be like you telling me to calculate a complex math problem w/o a calculator and when it's wrong saying that I am bad at math and don't give me the I didn't have a calculator excuse.

And why would he crack the Eagles line up? Who has immediate success in less than a year after their first (which is the hardest to recover from) microfracture surgery? List me some players of successful players after any microfracture surgery?

TheEnigma
03-04-2012, 01:48 PM
The only condition I'd like for Steve Smith to return would be the following:

A) Comes at a dirt cheap price contract that is incentive based.

B) Realizes that he isn't guaranteed a starting spot and will be competing with the likes of Jernigan, Thomas, Barden, and Hixon.

C) Is willing to mentor and teach Jernigan everything he knows about playing the slot position for the Giants. This could be his biggest asset for the team.

miked1958
03-04-2012, 01:49 PM
Yep you have Hixon, JJ, Barden and Thomas who all will compete for that spot. No need to waste money signing SS when we have a ton of FAs (20+) we need to try and resign.. Also if we were going to try and sign a FA WR why not try and keep MM. I know SS would come cheaper and we can't afford MM but seems what little money we do have has to be spent on preserving some key players already in giants ORG, not going out and signing new people

miked1958
03-04-2012, 01:51 PM
With our Cap problems we have no Business thinking about signing outside players when we can't afford what we have now

LT_Hits
03-04-2012, 02:43 PM

Hixon was signed primarily for return duties. Yes he is a receiver but he is way too injury prone to be dependent on. We need a 3rd receiver and to say Steve Smith won't be back is incredible foolish. What's your reasoning for this?

Manningham is gone my friend, it sucks but he's replaceable. He's a nice talent but with Nicks, Cruz & Smith or someone else we will be just as or even more potent. Rio was wildly inconsistent this season and we were still so deadly.
Then it would be that, "Someone else", you just mentioned. All I was saying is, Smith will not be a Giant next season. And if Hixon was so not going to be on the field, why did the office resign him. Hixon will get tested and will get his chance to play WR. And your right, Manningham may be gone, thats why I indicated, "if at all possible". This is not new news regarding his chances to remain. Smith not returning to the giants is more of a possibility than, Manninham's possible return. Trust me, Reese aint gonna make that call out to Steve Smith, that aint happening. I bet we pull a gem in the 4th round though.

slipknottin
03-04-2012, 02:49 PM
Smith was awesome for the giants in the slot. If hes healthy I see no reason to not bring him back in. He wont be expensive after the season he just had.

giantsfan420
03-04-2012, 02:54 PM
smith will be offered a contract, that i would bet on. reese offered plax a contract and what he did is 10x worse than what smith did.

mara said he personally regretted how the situation played out and that the giants wanted him back, that wasnt too long ago, so the giants FO are certainly open to it.

and smith isn't a top 10 wr, but he is (when healthy) a top 5 slot wr. to say otherwise is foolish and based on a personal dislike for him.
those that say he's done, screw him dont sign him, etc. are saying so based on personal reasons, which the giants have shown time and time again is not how they do business.

lets review some points:

SS had 109 receptions for the giants in 2009. when nicks and smith were on the field together, TEAMS DOUBLE TEAMED SMITH.
Smith and Eli were always on the same page.
Smith is excellent at reading defenses and running routes based on the d.
Smith is EXCELLENT at double moves, which allows eli to throw the ball before smith has completed his route, meaning eli will be able to throw to the open spot on the field when targeting smith.
Smith is going to be extremely cheap after losing his value on philly. he will be hungry to re-establish his worth, thus, will be expected to work very hard.
smith is the best option to replace MM based on knowledge of the offense, and success in this offense.
smith will be the cheapest, best upside signing at wr, a position we will need to add to.

all those reasons trump not signing him bc some fans have personal vendetta against him. thats the only reason i've seen anyone say not to sign him, based on a personal opinion.

what happened to "he earned the right to provide for his family and make the most money?" that doesnt apply to SS bc he went to philly?

if anything, fans should thank SS for going to philly. it saved us cap room, allowed for cruz to step up, and he wouldnt have even contributed bc the first year after his surgery, nfl players rarely ever have a good year. gmen knows about this and has proven this point time and time again.

i personally know for a fact SS regretted signing with philly, that he felt horrible about how the situation played out, and that he wanted and wants to be a giant again.

we know for a fact that mara and reese have said they regretted how the situation played out as well.

the writings on the wall, both parties have indicated they are willing to talk about working together again.

we have very lil cap room, and the absolute best option at cheapest cost is SS. He's going to be a giant, and when he apologizes for how things played out, and has a 10 catch 2 td game, everyone who said "he's done. no way do we want him back" will go "reese knows what he's doing and so happy SS is back home"

gmen0820
03-04-2012, 02:59 PM
^
/thread

LT_Hits
03-04-2012, 03:01 PM
smith will be offered a contract, that i would bet on. reese offered plax a contract and what he did is 10x worse than what smith did.

mara said he personally regretted how the situation played out and that the giants wanted him back, that wasnt too long ago, so the giants FO are certainly open to it.

and smith isn't a top 10 wr, but he is (when healthy) a top 5 slot wr. to say otherwise is foolish and based on a personal dislike for him.
those that say he's done, screw him dont sign him, etc. are saying so based on personal reasons, which the giants have shown time and time again is not how they do business.

lets review some points:

SS had 109 receptions for the giants in 2009. when nicks and smith were on the field together, TEAMS DOUBLE TEAMED SMITH.
Smith is EXCELLENT at double moves, which allows eli to throw the ball before smith has completed his route, meaning eli will be able to throw to the open spot on the field when targeting smith.
Smith is going to be extremely cheap after losing his value on philly. he will be hungry to re-establish his worth, thus, will be expected to work very hard.
smith is the best option to replace MM based on knowledge of the offense, and success in this offense.
smith will be the cheapest, best upside signing at wr, a position we will need to add to.

all those reasons trump not signing him bc some fans have personal vendetta against him. thats the only reason i've seen anyone say not to sign him, based on a personal opinion.

what happened to "he earned the right to provide for his family and make the most money?" that doesnt apply to SS bc he went to philly?

if anything, fans should thank SS for going to philly. it saved us cap room, allowed for cruz to step up, and he wouldnt have even contributed bc the first year after his surgery, nfl players rarely ever have a good year. gmen knows about this and has proven this point time and time again.

i personally know for a fact SS regretted signing with philly, that he felt horrible about how the situation played out, and that he wanted and wants to be a giant again.

we know for a fact that mara and reese have said they regretted how the situation played out as well.

the writings on the wall, both parties have indicated they are willing to talk about working together again.

we have very lil cap room, and the absolute best option at cheapest cost is SS. He's going to be a giant, and when he apologizes for how things played out, and has a 10 catch 2 td game, everyone who said "he's done. no way do we want him back" will go "reese knows what he's doing and so happy SS is back home"Out of this long and drawn out post about Steve Smith as the slot. Hello, we got the slot covered, CRUZ just killed it son. Smith was good, Cruz was amazing in the slot and out wide, and also in space and after the tackle. The Giants need another out, and thats why Hixon got resigned.

LT_Hits
03-04-2012, 03:04 PM
Let me also add, that if we did have Smith. I would gladly like to see a Nicks at 1, Cruz at 2 and a Smith at 3, ALL DAY!

slipknottin
03-04-2012, 03:04 PM
. The Giants need another out, and thats why Hixon got resigned.

Giants needed a competent return man, thats why Hixon got resigned.

giantsfan420
03-04-2012, 03:05 PM
oh yeah, and the corp of nicks cruz smith beats nicks cruz mm.

nicks-downfield threat who can go across the middle, but also can work underneath routes. physical type wr.

cruz-works underneath routes, but can also go deep. slippery elusive type wr.

smith-works the middle of the field, can work short to intermediate routes best but can also go deep. works best off of how the defense defends the other 2 wr's. double move type wr. Move the chain type WR. Excellent route runner.

MM-deep threat, good YAC guy, but Nicks and Cruz already do that. Not the best route runner.

Love MM, but he is inconsistent and honestly doesnt offer much more than an explosive type deep threat.

Nicks, Cruz, Smith can play every spot we ask of our WR'.s

Imagine we get Smith, and then draft a te like fleener???

HOW DO U DEFEND US? Teams that will try to replicate BB (who is prob the best defensive gameplan strategist) two deep safety cover two shell and make the wr's other than nicks, cruz beat them will get destroyed if they leave Smith 1v1 on their nickel back.

Honestly ask urself, (if he's healthy which if we sign him he will be) do u feel more comfortable with an opposing HC going "make MM beat us" or "make SS beat us" bc their is NO DOUBT steve smith and eli will be able to beat other defenses. when smith was here in 09, he was our #1 and opposing d's were trying to make the other wr's beat them and eli2smith was STILL beating defenses.

edit-and cruz proved he's as effective out wide as in the slot. the beauty of smith is, we could line up cruz or smith in the slot, let eli see the d coverage, AND THEN MOTION CRUZ OR SMITH OUTWIDE and completely screw up the d coverage.

smith can also play out wide too...109 receptions proved that. i believe he had over 60 3rd down conversions out of the slot.

KillaRich
03-04-2012, 03:09 PM
I hate steve smith for what he did...but if healthy can we deny how dangerous our wr core would be?

it might be more lethal then the triple threat with MM....not saying hes better....but instead of having 3 big play recievers we have 2 big play receivers and one awesome route runner and a safety net for eli...... ss is a ***** but i wouldnt mind giving him a look

NYG4lifeNYK
03-04-2012, 03:10 PM

lets review some points:

we have very lil cap room, and the absolute best option at cheapest cost is SS. He's going to be a giant, and when he apologizes for how things played out, and has a 10 catch 2 td game, everyone who said "he's done. no way do we want him back" will go "reese knows what he's doing and so happy SS is back home"

Wow... this thread is finished haha

Nicely put brother [B]

gmen0820
03-04-2012, 03:16 PM
Cruz did have most of his production out of the slot, but he can play both, as can Smith.

Smith is more suited for a slot, or more relegated to it I should say because he doesn't have Cruz's speed or ball skills. I can see Cruz emerge as a Marvin Harrison like player for us. Don't put him up on the line like you would Nicks (or Reggie Wayne if you stick to the Colts example), so that he can get free releases more often than not. Plus on the outside, there are less bracket concepts that he sees from the slot. In the SB, a LBer, a corner and a safety often had a bracket formed with Cruz. Tell me how those bracket concepts can be formed if Cruz isn't in the slot? They really can't be. He will be doubled frequently, but it's a lot more tasking for a DC to do, and it really compromises a defense.

Smith is a consistent slot option. In 2010, he was almost always bracketed. Now, a defense can't bracket Smith with the frequency they normally would because Cruz needs a double team and so does Cruz. Realistically, we could have 3 wide receivers who can get open without schematic concepts.

Line up, and ball.

giantsfan420
03-04-2012, 03:17 PM

lets review some points:

Wow... this thread is finished haha

Nicely put brother [B]

haha thanks. i may be a tad bit biased in wanting him back, but that doesnt make anything i said less true.

the most important aspect i feel is that SS is the absolute best choice for WR to come in and keep this offense rolling at the pace it did last year, and then u add, that not only is he the best choice based on knowledge of our offense and past success in it, HE'S THE CHEAPEST OPTION. that's like saying nah to a lamborgini for 3,000 dollars bc the guy who owns it is an *******

slipknottin
03-04-2012, 03:18 PM
Cruz can be amazing on the outside, and its not like having Smith on the team prevents Cruz from playing in the slot.

Smith was one of the most dominant 3rd down receivers in the league.

For a million or less, how could you not want him back? Dont give me the crap about him going to Philly. Its a business.

giantsfan420
03-04-2012, 03:18 PM
Cruz did have most of his production out of the slot, but he can play both, as can Smith.

Smith is more suited for a slot, or more relegated to it I should say because he doesn't have Cruz's speed or ball skills. I can see Cruz emerge as a Marvin Harrison like player for us. Don't put him up on the line like you would Nicks (or Reggie Wayne if you stick to the Colts example), so that he can get free releases more often than not. Plus on the outside, there are less bracket concepts that he sees from the slot. In the SB, a LBer, a corner and a safety often had a bracket formed with Cruz. Tell me how those bracket concepts can be formed if Cruz isn't in the slot? They really can't be. He will be doubled frequently, but it's a lot more tasking for a DC to do, and it really compromises a defense.

Smith is a consistent slot option. In 2010, he was almost always bracketed. Now, a defense can't bracket Smith with the frequency they normally would because Cruz needs a double team and so does Cruz. Realistically, we could have 3 wide receivers who can get open without schematic concepts.

Line up, and ball.

plus 1000

TheEnigma
03-04-2012, 03:22 PM
Smith offers the potential to be one of the best bargain FA's available. Lots of teams could use a solid, possession receiver. Even if you don't want him starting, he would be a great guy to have for depth.

Plus like I mentioned earlier, who better to help Jernigan than the original slot master himself?

rainierjef
03-04-2012, 03:39 PM
i can care less, just give eli weapons whoever they be.

nhpgiantsfan
03-04-2012, 03:51 PM
All this SS talk is annoying. We will soon find out where he'll be. To me he is not the answer for us. But I do know one thing. Replacing MM with Smith or Hixon is a downgrade for us offensively. Now I know we probably can't afford MM, but I hope we find someone that can step up.

slipknottin
03-04-2012, 04:07 PM
\ Replacing MM with Smith or Hixon is a downgrade for us offensively.\

Healthy Smith was a far better receiver than MM ever was.

bLuereverie
03-04-2012, 04:14 PM
All this antiSmith propaganda is simply him going to the Eagles.

He was a free agent, earned to right to look elsewhere and was able to sign a nice contract when his entire career was in doubt.

He may or may not be what he was, but not giving him at least a shot to tryout and possibly upgrade this team simply because he spent a season down the turnpike is nothing but scarred sentiments.

Injury is a valid concern, but I have more expectations from a one legged Smith than a finally healthy Barden.

giantsfan420
03-04-2012, 04:27 PM

true. although MM was better at what he did in temrs of YAC and explosive plays. but we already have nicks and cruz for that, we need a 3rd down goto guy besides cruz.

smith makes our wr corp more dangerous and consistent than MM.

THE_New_York_Giants
03-04-2012, 04:29 PM

true. although MM was better at what he did in temrs of YAC and explosive plays. but we already have nicks and cruz for that, we need a 3rd down goto guy besides cruz.

smith makes our wr corp more dangerous and consistent than MM.
Manningham is really overrated by people on this board. He is really inconsistent. He's explosive, but he also drops a lot of big passes. He also makes terrible decisions and often runs the wrong route.

GMenNY21
03-04-2012, 05:02 PM
Smith was awful this past season... Who knows of he will EVER be able to return to old form... I don't see Reese taking a chance on him again ...

bLuereverie
03-04-2012, 05:38 PM
Smith was awful this past season... Who knows of he will EVER be able to return to old form... I don't see Reese taking a chance on him again ...

Eagles rushed him back, so who knows if he ever got the time needed to properly heal. Plus the Eagles misused him horribly in their offense.

ShakeNBake
03-04-2012, 06:00 PM
I really don't see a point in signing Smith, because we have Cruz. I understand the argument some people try to make in regards to putting Cruz outside, but why do that when you can have a slot guy who can literally run ANY route from that position? For example, if Smith is in the slot as opposed to Cruz, defenders can play up on him because of his lack of speed. If Smith is there the routes you can run out of the slot become more limited compared to Cruz based on the difference in skill set. Also, we usually have a TE in the formation so the only action Smith would see is in a 3 WR set because he isn;t taking any reps from Nicks or Cruz.

All of this considered, we still do not know what kind of condition Smith's knees are in and everyone seems to forget how Smith pretty much called Jerry Reese and John Mara liars.

BlueSanta
03-04-2012, 06:03 PM
Smith was awful this past season... ...

As many said he would be. Smith is a precision/timing route runner and Michael Vick is anything but a timing passer. He is a creator who gets the ball out when he can rather then at a specific time. The Eagles front office should have known it was a bad pairing. I certainly did and said it many times on these boards.

That said, I dont mind bringing smith back, but not if it means moving Cruz from the slot. Cruz's numbers from the slot were insane this year and he should be allowed to thrive at that spot. We need a guy who can line up outside, like MM did this past season.

slipknottin
03-04-2012, 06:45 PM
The Eagles front office should have known it was a bad pairing.

I think they just signed him to keep him off the giants. Good use of 4mil, IMO.

gmen0820
03-04-2012, 07:15 PM

Eagles rushed him back, so who knows if he ever got the time needed to properly heal. Plus the Eagles misused him horribly in their offense.Smith was a bad fit for the start, the Eagles didn't misuse him.

If they tried to use him right, they'd be dumb. They'd have to change their whole offense to accommodate a player who no way, no how, was gonna be 100% after micro fracture surgery.

When the Eagles signed Smith, at first I was pissed, and felt betrayed (but never posted to hint that), then I realized that the Eagles did us a favor by rehabbing him for us, and paying him twice as much as we would as well as giving the team extra motivation and hatred towards the Eagles.

gmen0820
03-04-2012, 07:23 PM
The Eagles front office should have known it was a bad pairing.

I think they just signed him to keep him off the giants. Good use of 4mil, IMO.I'm sure they'd like that 4 mil roll over now instead of Smith lol.

giantsfan420
03-04-2012, 08:07 PM
i also dont think vick is the type of qb that works with a smith type wr.

vick and the eagles are a big play quick strike type offense. they dont have their success with 14 play drives with vick throwin 8-10 for 65 yards...they generally have those 6 play, 30 yard touchdown pass or run type drives

and that completely goes against what smith does.

thats why we could really use him. last season, it seemed we relied a bit too much on those big plays. we didnt capitalize on 3rd downs as much as i would have liked. our wr corp were all big play wr's although cruz was excellent out of the slot.
but good defensive schemes can take those big plays away. thats why adding smith makes our offense more dangerous. not only would we have 2 deep, can score every time they touch the ball wr's, we'd also have that consistent route running possession wr.

so if teams try to utilize the "make MM beat us" philosophy, SS has the ability to be a 6 reception a drive type wr who can be a reliable target for eli while we move down the field.

MM is def. more explosive than SS, but what would be better? 3 wr's that are explosive with nicks and cruz to try and move the chains, or 2 wr's that are explosive with SS to be the 3rd down guy?

imho, nicks, cruz, smith>nicks, cruz, MM and its not even close imho.

plus, we'd have a corp of guys who can all play the slot or out wide. smith wouldnt have to be just a slot guy, he had a ton of success out wide. same as cruz.

i have to believe reese realizes this and will actually try to move quickly getting smith. plus smith has to know his best shot at reestablishing his worth is with eli...

kkr
03-04-2012, 08:26 PM
I would offer Steve Smith a one year deal at the league minimum with no guaranteed money. Kick the tyres and see if we can get him healthy and anywhere near his old self.

Perhaps have an option for a second year that would be based off of his performance in year one and then if he had a successful return we could get him cheap for another year before he would probably leave again.

If he doesn't want to go for that then wish him all the best and send him on his way.

bLuereverie
03-04-2012, 08:45 PM

Eagles rushed him back, so who knows if he ever got the time needed to properly heal. Plus the Eagles misused him horribly in their offense.Smith was a bad fit for the start, the Eagles didn't misuse him.

I'm not disagreeing. Whether he fit or didn't, having him play out of character and fielding punts was misuse, which was inevitable from the start.

They really tried to push his role down the stretch when Riley Cooper was starting, only to exacerbate a knee injury that never healed to begin with.

BigBlue1971
03-04-2012, 08:48 PM
I would offer Steve Smith a one year deal at the league minimum with no guaranteed money. Kick the tyres and see if we can get him healthy and anywhere near his old self.

Perhaps have an option for a second year that would be based off of his performance in year one and then if he had a successful return we could get him cheap for another year before he would probably leave again.

If he doesn't want to go for that then wish him all the best and send him on his way.
</P>

</P>

^this!</P>

if Smith is healthy and signed by the Giants, he can certainly be a plus.</P>

i think he would like it here with Nicks and Cruz!</P>

gmen0820
03-04-2012, 09:01 PM

I'm not disagreeing. Whether he fit or didn't, having him play out of character and fielding punts was misuse, which was inevitable from the start.

They really tried to push his role down the stretch when Riley Cooper was starting, only to exacerbate a knee injury that never healed to begin with.Yeah I didn't mean to come off like I was correcting you, I was just agreeing really.

buffyblue
03-04-2012, 09:07 PM
When Philadelphia Eagles signed Steve Smith I laughed because it showed how worried about us their front office was. They only signed Steve Smith so we wouldnít sign him. They didnít need him. They also didnít need Deon Grant but they tried to sign him to keep him away from us. Deon Grant told them to get lost and stayed with NY Giants for a little bit less money.

Steve Smith doesnít fit the role left open by Mario Manningham if he leaves. We are much better taking Plexiglass back over Steve Smith. He fits a lot better than Steve Smith does on our offense right now.

BigBlue1971
03-04-2012, 09:17 PM
When Philadelphia Eagles signed Steve Smith I laughed because it showed how worried about us their front office was. They only signed Steve Smith so we wouldnít sign him. They didnít need him. They also didnít need Deon Grant but they tried to sign him to keep him away from us. Deon Grant told them to get lost and stayed with NY Giants for a little bit less money. Steve Smith doesnít fit the role left open by Mario Manningham if he leaves. <FONT color=#0000ff size=5>We are much better taking Plexiglass back over Steve Smith.</FONT> He fits a lot better than Steve Smith does on our offense right now.</P>

</P>

[:S] [:^)] [:$]</P>

gmen0820
03-04-2012, 09:18 PM
When Philadelphia Eagles signed Steve Smith I laughed because it showed how worried about us their front office was. They only signed Steve Smith so we wouldnít sign him. They didnít need him. They also didnít need Deon Grant but they tried to sign him to keep him away from us. Deon Grant told them to get lost and stayed with NY Giants for a little bit less money.

Steve Smith doesnít fit the role left open by Mario Manningham if he leaves. We are much better taking Plexiglass back over Steve Smith. He fits a lot better than Steve Smith does on our offense right now.Honestly, I'd take Plax back. I treat his prison sentence as a serious knee injury, and I think he can pick up where he left off.

But I don't think he's a better fit right now. Our WR core is explosive, but a little flukey (even that Mario catch down the sideline, how often can we be bailed out by a big play?), Smith is that added consistency. I think Smith just makes our wide recievers a very well rounded unit.

Flip Empty
03-04-2012, 09:19 PM

Steve Smith doesnít fit the role left open by Mario Manningham if he leaves. We are much better taking Plexiglass back over Steve Smith. He fits a lot better than Steve Smith does on our offense right now.
Part of Mario's role was to use his speed to stretch defenses and open up room for the other WRs - Plax is too slow for that.

Honestly, I think we have the slot covered in Cruz and Jernigan. I wouldn't be against bringing Smith back though.

JJC7301
03-04-2012, 10:35 PM
Hixon does not preclude signing SS, and Hixon is no SS (if SS is healthy). Plus, SS would not cost a lot of money.

Sign SS if the doctors say he can play.

RoanokeFan
03-04-2012, 10:41 PM

Manningham is gone my friend, it sucks but he's replaceable. He's a nice talent but with Nicks, Cruz &amp; Smith or someone else we will be just as or even more potent. Rio was wildly inconsistent this season and we were still so deadly.

Hixon passed his physical and has been signed. TC likes versatile players and Hixon has always returned and played at WR. He's not injured until he gets injured and that's how they'll go into camp.

As Manningham is "replaceable", so was Smith and we ended up with a better WR corps.

Flip Empty
03-04-2012, 10:43 PM
I'd like to see Eddie Royal on the team.

RoanokeFan
03-04-2012, 10:43 PM
Hixon does not preclude signing SS, and Hixon is no SS (if SS is healthy). Plus, SS would not cost a lot of money.

Sign SS if the doctors say he can play.

The eagles payed him $2M last season. Are you expecting Smith to take a pay cut?

Axels15
03-04-2012, 11:23 PM

the kid is done

dont want him back

:)

RoanokeFan
03-04-2012, 11:27 PM

the kid is done

dont want him back

bump

NYG4lifeNYK
03-04-2012, 11:54 PM

Manningham is gone my friend, it sucks but he's replaceable. He's a nice talent but with Nicks, Cruz &amp; Smith or someone else we will be just as or even more potent. Rio was wildly inconsistent this season and we were still so deadly.

Hixon passed his physical and has been signed. TC likes versatile players and Hixon has always returned and played at WR. He's not injured until he gets injured and that's how they'll go into camp.

As Manningham is "replaceable", so was Smith and we ended up with a better WR corps.

I don't question Hixon's <u>current</u> health however he has had an extensive history of freak injuries. We cannot depend on him as our 3rd WR. Yes we have Barden &amp; Jernigan.... I'd LOVE Steve Smith and whoever doesn't shame on you for letting petty differences sway your opinion.

giantsfan420
03-05-2012, 12:06 AM
i think people using jj and barden as reasons for not signing smith are being ridiculous.

jj and barden will get their shot, but what if neither delivers? what if hixon doesn't deliver? u think reese is gonna entertain signing a guy like stokely after a couple of weeks of no production be his course of action?

signing smith is an insurance plan. he'll get the same amount as stokely did imho, maybe a lil more. RF-absolutely smith will take a paycut from his philly salary...he made more than mccoy, macclin, and jackson last season. philly signed him to take away one of our weapons and as an insurance plan...

my take is we'll sign smith back, have an open competition for the 3rd wr, and whoever wins it wins it. if that guy doesnt perform during games, we'll have the needed contigency plan.

not to mention, smith has experience being our 1, 2 and slot wr, meaning if one of our guys goes down, knock on wood it doesnt happen, smith can step in without the offense missing a beat.

their is absolutely no logical reason for ignoring smith. its only personal petty stuff, and i can understand peoples feelings on that. but the giants don't do business that way, reese would never have offered plax a higher paying contract than the jets if they operated on personal reasons.

they will do whatever makes our team better. it doesnt hurt smith will be the best choice as well as being the cheapest choice. like i said, their is absolutely no reason to not target smith

RoanokeFan
03-05-2012, 12:07 AM

I don't question Hixon's <u>current</u> health however he has had an extensive history of freak injuries. We cannot depend on him as our 3rd WR. Yes we have Barden &amp; Jernigan.... I'd LOVE Steve Smith and whoever doesn't shame on you for letting petty differences sway your opinion.

Are you somehow saying Smith doesn't have an "extensive injury history"? They were both injured two years in a row and ended up on IR. Your "LOVE" for Steve Smith is something you will have to talk to him about.

RoanokeFan
03-05-2012, 12:09 AM
i think people using jj and barden as reasons for not signing smith are being ridiculous.

jj and barden will get their shot, but what if neither delivers? what if hixon doesn't deliver? u think reese is gonna entertain signing a guy like stokely after a couple of weeks of no production be his course of action?

signing smith is an insurance plan. he'll get the same amount as stokely did imho, maybe a lil more. <font color="#0000FF">RF-absolutely smith will take a paycut from his philly salary..</font>.he made more than mccoy, macclin, and jackson last season. philly signed him to take away one of our weapons and as an insurance plan...

my take is we'll sign smith back, have an open competition for the 3rd wr, and whoever wins it wins it. if that guy doesnt perform during games, we'll have the needed contigency plan.

not to mention, smith has experience being our 1, 2 and slot wr, meaning if one of our guys goes down, knock on wood it doesnt happen, smith can step in without the offense missing a beat.

their is absolutely no logical reason for ignoring smith. its only personal petty stuff, and i can understand peoples feelings on that. but the giants don't do business that way, reese would never have offered plax a higher paying contract than the jets if they operated on personal reasons.

they will do whatever makes our team better. it doesnt hurt smith will be the best choice as well as being the cheapest choice. like i said, their is absolutely no reason to not target smith

You have no way of knowing that. We have far more pressing needs than a post injuries unproven wide receiver.

giantsfan420
03-05-2012, 12:13 AM

Hixon passed his physical and has been signed.** TC likes versatile players and Hixon has always returned and played at WR.* He's not injured until he gets injured and that's how they'll go into camp.

I don't question Hixon's <u>current</u> health however he has had an extensive history of freak injuries. We cannot depend on him as our 3rd WR. Yes we have Barden & Jernigan.... I'd LOVE Steve Smith and whoever doesn't shame on you for letting petty differences sway your opinion.

Are you somehow saying Smith doesn't have an "extensive injury history"?* They were both injured two years in a row and ended up on IR.* Your "LOVE" for Steve Smith is something you will have to talk to him about.

lol. no matter what u may think, our opinion on this is just as valid as yours, truth be told its even more valid as u use personal feelings for ur stance

again:
Smith was our 1 wr in 09
smith and eli are an amazing combo
smith doesnt have an extensive injury history, he had one IR worthy injury. as gmen has stated numerously, this past season, he had like a 4 week injury with 3 weeks to go in the season, philly put him on IR for that reason. bone bruise is not a serious injury.
when smith and nicks were our starting wr, TEAMS DOUBLED SMITH.
smith can play any of our wr roles.
we will need to add a wr either thru FA or draft.
smith knows our offense, and has been extremely successful in it.
smith would be the cheapest option, but he's also the best option.
he is a solid route runner who is always on the same page with eli.
3rd and smith
mara and reese both said they regret how the situation played out
smith said he wants to come back

all that is much more founded than "smith is a traitor he's useless" or whatever ur personal feeling on it is

edit-response to RF's last post, you have no proof he wont take a paycut

giantsfan420
03-05-2012, 12:16 AM
and RF, u honestly believe smith believes he established what his worth was last season? u truly believe he thinks his performance last season warrants a semi big payday?

smith doesnt strike me as a moron. he knows he has to reestablish his worth. where is his best chance to do that?

i'd expect a 2 yr, 4.5 million dollar contract with maybe 1.5 guaranteed

gmen0820
03-05-2012, 12:46 AM
i'd expect a 2 yr, 4.5 million dollar contract with maybe 1.5 guaranteedSeriously though, what a steal. If 2 years ago you told me we'd have Kiwi resigned for 2 years 8 million, Bradshaw resigned for 4 years 18 million, Smith for 2 years 4.5 million, and T2 for 2 years 8 million (speculating) -- I'd probably call you crazy. That was our core just in 2010.

Incredible.

giantsfan420
03-05-2012, 12:53 AM
i'd expect a 2 yr, 4.5 million dollar contract with maybe 1.5 guaranteedSeriously though, what a steal. If 2 years ago you told me we'd have Kiwi resigned for 2 years 8 million, Bradshaw resigned for 4 years 18 million, Smith for 2 years 4.5 million, and T2 for 2 years 8 million (speculating) -- I'd probably call you crazy. That was our core just in 2010.

Incredible.

it really is. philly thought they were working us when in fact they saved us a years salary.

smith will make like 1/20th of the contract he could have gotten.

thats what strikes me as insane to say "nah we dont need or want SS"

we were all willing to give him a huge payday just this prior offseason and last season. we will end up getting him for ridiculously cheap. i wouldnt even be surprised if smith takes a smaller contract from us than a slightly more paying contract from another team just bc he knows the best way to reestablish his worth is with eli.

we're getting a bunch of integral, core plyers for insanely cheap. things are working out well for us and we're lucky bc of the cap room we'll have to work with.

if things played out any differently, we prob couldnt even afford smith now. things all fell into place.

its a great time to be a giants fan...

edit-but reese will have to ensure we have the players to replace these 2 yr reestablish ur worth contract players. if guys like t2 and smith reestablish themselves, they'll be out of our cap space, so reese needs to address that in this years draft and with the players on our roster right now

gmen0820
03-05-2012, 01:08 AM

Incredible.

it really is. philly thought they were working us when in fact they saved us a years salary.

we were all willing to give him a huge payday just this prior offseason and last season. we will end up getting him for ridiculously cheap. i wouldnt even be surprised if smith takes a smaller contract from us than a slightly more paying contract from another team just bc he knows the best way to reestablish his worth is with eli.

we're getting a bunch of integral, core plyers for insanely cheap. things are working out well for us and we're lucky bc of the cap room we'll have to work with.

if things played out any differently, we prob couldnt even afford smith now. things all fell into place.

edit-but reese will have to ensure we have the players to replace these 2 yr reestablish ur worth contract players. if guys like t2 and smith reestablish themselves, they'll be out of our cap space, so reese needs to address that in this years draft and with the players on our roster right nowThe thing that gets me is why people all of a sudden question if he can still play. Sure, he's coming off microfracture and had zero impact last year, but now where were those people when Cofield had a bad 1st year back, or Phillips, or Robbins? Not many people questioned if they could still play, and whoever did was proven wrong when Cofield reestablished his value and got paid in DC, Robbins had a career year in STL in 2010, and Phillips playing lights out last year.

You'd think all these microfracture surgeries hitting so close to home, and Marques Colston having recovered from two of them already would be enough to not even warrant the question considering the discount he'd be coming at.

And RF, why would you think that Smith would ask for "more" money than he made last year? It was his worst as a pro. Fact of the matter is that Schefter has already reported the possibility and I think if anyone on here would know about Steve Smith's situation, it's be giantsfan420, considering he's proven to people that he's spoken to one of Smith's PR guys. I think that would lead to more of a valid conclusion than an expected bad recovery year and a bunch of "read in between the lines jabs" if you can call it that between the Giants and Smith.

giantsfan420
03-05-2012, 01:40 AM

Incredible.

edit-but reese will have to ensure we have the players to replace these 2 yr reestablish ur worth contract players. if guys like t2 and smith reestablish themselves, they'll be out of our cap space, so reese needs to address that in this years draft and with the players on our roster right nowThe thing that gets me is why people all of a sudden question if he can still play. Sure, he's coming off microfracture and had zero impact last year, but now where were those people when Cofield had a bad 1st year back, or Phillips, or Robbins? Not many people questioned if they could still play, and whoever did was proven wrong when Cofield reestablished his value and got paid in DC, Robbins had a career year in STL in 2010, and Phillips playing lights out last year.

You'd think all these microfracture surgeries hitting so close to home, and Marques Colston having recovered from two of them already would be enough to not even warrant the question considering the discount he'd be coming at.

And RF, why would you think that Smith would ask for "more" money than he made last year? It was his worst as a pro. Fact of the matter is that Schefter has already reported the possibility and I think if anyone on here would know about Steve Smith's situation, it's be giantsfan420, considering he's proven to people that he's spoken to one of Smith's PR guys. I think that would lead to more of a valid conclusion than an expected bad recovery year and a bunch of "read in between the lines jabs" if you can call it that between the Giants and Smith.

yeah the injury thing is completely bogus. dont know if people are not reading your posts about it but uve proven beyond a doubt that players after his surgery just do not have good years. and it takes about 2 years to be back to the level of play before the injury.

i get the dislike of him signing with philly, but it turned out to be a huge blessing in disguise. we should practically be kissing his *** for being a moron. once smith apologizes, and has a big game, all will be forgotten.

he's made huge plays for us, helped us win sb42, and it just makes so much sense to sign him now.
i too disliked him going to philly but that didnt make me forget how great of a wr he was with eli throwing him the ball

offingmoot
03-05-2012, 03:07 PM
I didnt see anywhere in this whole thread the possibility of smith and cruz in the slot at the same time on 4 receiver sets.

Throw barden or ballard on the outside with nicks and having smith and cruz in the slot they'd be able to pick up first downs at will

That would be like a dream come true

slickj966
03-05-2012, 03:19 PM
bump. Id also take Smith back. (assuming hes healthy)...for cheap...as i do not see us signing mannigham.

Smith is such a weapon on those 3rd and 6's...it would also somewhat lesson our need for another pass catching TE...we can focus on getting a Big Run blocking TE to help our run game.