PDA

View Full Version : FOX SPORTS FINALLY GETS REAL ON COUGHLIN

RoanokeFan
12-06-2011, 01:01 PM
FOX SPORTS FINALLY GETS REAL ON COUGHLIN (http://gmenhq.com/2011/12/05/fox-sports-finally-gets-real-on-coughlin/)

"For years the tandem of Joe Buck and Troy Aikman have played the party line
on the Giants and Head Coach Tom Coughlin. The production crew went out of
their way to show Coughlin at his worst moments. They would cut to him only
when he was seething over mistakes by his players. They would show the Giants
players in their worst light. They would tell stories about rules, remarks
made, and “things they heard” about Tom. It started with the 5 minute rule.
Showing up 5 minutes early was mandatory for Tom Coughlin, a rule he
implemented but didn’t invent. He learned it from All World Coach John Wooden.
I don’t think I ever heard anyone call that idea silly when it was attributed
to Wooden.

Fox has gone out of their way to put Coach Coughlin in the worst light
possible. Make him seem old, inflexible, and mean spirited. Yesterday for about
5 minutes it all changed. Fox finally showed the side of Coughlin people who
really know him have seen for years. They showed a short clip of him chatting
with the line judge on his sideline. A big smile, shaking hands, making a
little joke; And then, in a way only Joe Buck can do, they expanded on the
subject as if he was their best friend. Joe goes on to state that over the
years they get the opportunity to get to know these coaches and players in a
personal way. That Coach Coughlin is not only a great football man, but a great
man in general. Now, we all know Joe is a load of hot air, who never bothered
to learn the rules until Fox brought in an expert that made him look silly. He
is a lifer that never had to wonder what he would do with his life. I have no
problem with Joe taking his opportunity for success, but he has always been
lazy, thinks himself too funny, and takes the easy way out when discussing
others. He could have been on Coughlins side early on. Even in 2007 they gave
him no credit. They always quoted Tiki, and Plaxico, and others that complained
there way through life. Tom Coughlin is a good man, a grandfather, and an
ex-marine. He should be treated with more respect.</p>

It might be a little too late, but at least for one day, and hopefully for
the remainder of the season, Joe Buck and Troy will remember there is a good
person under that headset."</p>

Gianthunter
12-06-2011, 01:38 PM
Sadly this will win no friends around here.</P>

yatitle
12-06-2011, 01:54 PM
Sadly this will win no friends around here.</P>

</P>

Ironic how many posters on here who preach that they are proud of some of the solid citizens who have played for the franchise in past years always glorified the Fat Tuna who by all accounts is a lousy human being ( but one with many friends in the media) but want TC run out of town because he hasn't "won" enough. Phonies</P>

SweetZombieJesus
12-06-2011, 02:03 PM
Being a good person doesn't excuse his lack of results -- most glaringly his inability to fix the problems that plague him.

See: Torre, Joe

Anyway, I think Fox's moment of weakness is realization that this will probably be it for Tom, so they're showing crocodile tears.

As for Tuna, he seems to be less than a good person, and he did try to screw the Giants twice, succeeding once. Let's all remember how he quit after rookie mini camp and left the team in shambles.

BigBlueOnes
12-06-2011, 02:04 PM
I love Tom Coughlin. I love Tom Coughlin. I LOVE Tom Coughlin. There, said it, I love him. I think we have some lazy players and some crappy coordinators at times, but when times are tough he can't be beat in righting the ship. You folks are delusional if you think we have a bad coach.

daynemustgo
12-06-2011, 02:05 PM
Buck almost sounds disappointed sometimes when they can't find a replay that would overturn a good play by the Giants.

SweetZombieJesus
12-06-2011, 02:08 PM
I love Tom Coughlin. I love Tom Coughlin. I LOVE Tom Coughlin. There, said it, I love him. I think we have some lazy players and some crappy coordinators at times, but when times are tough he can't be beat in righting the ship. You folks are delusional if you think we have a bad coach.

Are you kidding me? Do I need to post the year-by-year collapses again?

I like him, he is a good person and a good coach -- but fatally flawed and he's STUCK, he just has no answers for the annual collapses and effortless duds. He's out of answers.

See Torre, Joe. Time to move on.

Razur
12-06-2011, 02:17 PM
Coughlin has taken a beating from , everyone over the years, fans & media alike. I myself am guilty of expressing my anger towrd him when the Giants failed to perform at games they should have won ar at least been prepared for..And that is all part of being a coach in the NFL , and particularly HC of the NY Giants. I think a lot of his "reputation" as a hard core guy, came back when there was turmoil amongst the players, and the infamous players committee was formed to sit down with him and hash out some things that maybe needed to be said on both sides..remember that?..Anyways..the media jumped all over that..spun it like the Ginats were trying to "thaw out" the ice cold hearted coach who was NOt a players coach..blah blah blah..end result..after the meetings, performace improved..and..somehow the media again, spun it as..the players figured it out..NOT Coughlin..when in all probabilty, the ONLY real thing that came out of that session were established TEAM leaders..and THEY actually translated Coughlin's mission into execution on the team's behalf. The GIANTS have NOT had those type of TEAM leadership personalities, and Coughlin hasn't changed his style ( nor should he ), so, the communications are pretty much the same as they have always been. The MAN is the same person he has always been, we as fans don't get to see the personal side of Coughlin, as most of time we see him in coach format, pressers, post game & pre, and at practices..we see a straight up, hard line HC..bottom line is...love or hate the guy as a coach..NO ONE in the fan base, unless you have some intimate relationship, or frequent access to this man, knows enough about who he really is...as a father, grandfather, mentor, socially aware individual, etc..and for that matter, my guess is Coach coughlin would step right up and say.."That's none of your G'Dman business" anyway.

Gianthunter
12-06-2011, 02:44 PM
And almost unoticed this week. Is Coughlins praise of the non-marquee players who stepped up and stepped in. But that doesn't make for a "good" storyline.

GiantPride27
12-06-2011, 02:46 PM
Troy Shouldnt be allowed to comment on a game with an NFC East team in it. All you hear about is how they arent any good and the cowbows will win the conferense etc etc.

Providence
12-06-2011, 02:54 PM
FOX misrepresented the truth and gave a biased perspective? Shocking!

RoanokeFan
12-06-2011, 04:49 PM
And almost unoticed this week. Is Coughlins praise of the non-marquee players who stepped up and stepped in. But that doesn't make for a "good" storyline.

That kind of slanted journalism is what drives me crazy. Coughlin will be one of those people, like Phil Simms, who isn't really appreciated until he's gone. He's far from perfect, as are we all, but the displayed hatred for the man is uncanny.

We're nearing the end of another season and if we win the next four or reach whatever combination of wins/losses gets us into the playoffs or, God forbid, the Division, it's going to be hard to fire him. I personally don't think they will fire him in any event, but I've been wrong before so we'll just have to stay tuned.

Razur
12-06-2011, 05:13 PM

That kind of slanted journalism is what drives me crazy.* Coughlin will be one of those people, like Phil Simms, who isn't really appreciated until he's gone.* He's far from perfect, as are we all, but the displayed hatred for the man is uncanny.

We're nearing the end of another season and if we win the next four or reach whatever combination of wins/losses gets us into the playoffs or, God forbid, the Division, it's going to be hard to fire him.* I personally don't think they will fire him in any event, but I've been wrong before so we'll just have to stay tuned.

Coughlin will NOT be fired, but I suspect IF anything, he will retire. This will afford him the dignity he deserves, and removes the unpleasent task from the FO.

nygsb42champs
12-06-2011, 05:25 PM
Excellent point RF!

OrangeGiant
12-06-2011, 05:31 PM
Whatever, maybe they decided it was time to finally say something nice about the guy. Who knows. I'm a fan and always have been and seeing the players lift him on their shoulders after the NE game showed me what they think of him too. Now they haven't won since, I know, but I am tired of hearing about the collapse crap. Let's wait and see how the last 4 games turn out before we cal this a collapse. It's not like we just played Indy, KC, Cleveland, and St Louis the last 4 games. And every game was winnable at the end except for the Saints game.</P>

And regarding last year, I don't see that as a collapse. They collapsed for 8 minutes against Philly and then got beaten by the eventual SB champion. Tough losses, yes, but they still finished 10-6, which is good for the playoffs 9 times out of 10. Remember 2007? Same record. I'm not saying they haven't had some bad second halves of the season under Coughlin, but I think there are other mitigating factors that were in play as well. Like Burress shooting himself, for instance. Injuries, which you can't deny have plagued the Giants every year it seems. </P>

If people want to blame TC for not making the playoffs the last two years and some early playoff exits other than 2007, it's understandable. But nobody ever talks about some of the other reasons those teams played poorly at the end of the season. Ever consider in 2007, other than Kiwanuka going down for the year that team was pretty much injury free as far as key players were concerned. </P>

Should TC be retained if they don't make the playoffs? Probably not, because that would be 3 seasons in a row now and it would probably be time to make the change. But if anyone thinks that a new coach is going to come in an everything will be rosy and nobody will get injured, and the schedule will be easy every year, think again.</P>

SweetZombieJesus
12-06-2011, 05:40 PM
We're nearing the end of another season and if we win the next four or reach whatever combination of wins/losses gets us into the playoffs or, God forbid, the Division, it's going to be hard to fire him.

The best possible outcome will be 4-4 down the stretch in that rosy scenario. We've got to do better at the most critical time of the year.

SweetZombieJesus
12-06-2011, 05:42 PM
And regarding last year, I don't see that as a collapse. They collapsed for 8 minutes against Philly and then got beaten by the eventual SB champion.</p>Take a step back and look at the big picture.

2004 - lost 9 of last 11
2006 - lost 6 of last 8
2007 - lost 4 of last 8
2008 - lost 3 of last 4
2009 - lost 8 of last 11
2010 - lost 2 of last 3
2011 - lost 4 of last 4

Gianthunter
12-06-2011, 05:45 PM
We're nearing the end of another season and if we win the next four or reach whatever combination of wins/losses gets us into the playoffs or, God forbid, the Division, it's going to be hard to fire him.

The best possible outcome will be 4-4 down the stretch in that rosy scenario. We've got to do better at the most critical time of the year.

You type "we" and then myopicly blame it on one.

JMFP2
12-06-2011, 06:28 PM
This isn't 2007, 2008, 2009, or 2010. It's the 2011 team.

Let's see how it plays out, and then judge accordingly.

JesseJames
12-06-2011, 06:35 PM
I don't believe that any negative things said about TC on this board are directed at Coughlin the man but at Coughlin the coach, none of us know Coughlin the man..

BK07071
12-07-2011, 10:16 AM
Sadly this will win no friends around here.</p>

Agreed.

RoanokeFan
12-07-2011, 10:22 AM

I think we can all agree with this. The players realize it, the coaches realize it. Let's see if they can bring last Sunday's intensity forward.

JMFP2
12-07-2011, 10:36 AM
Nobody gives out trophies for "best 2nd half performance".</P>

Judge the coach on the entire season....which isn't over yet.</P>

timmytimm3
12-07-2011, 10:51 AM
<font color="red">At least they're not bias during the presidential race </font>

nihan87
12-07-2011, 11:54 AM
I love Tom and hate how the media views him. The man wants results and respect. I feel like once you show him respect he would give you the world. </P>

</P>

Good read. Joe Buck is a piece of work and I would not be upset what so ever if him and Aikman didn't broadcast the games anymore. </P>

giantsfan39
12-07-2011, 02:46 PM
I don't care. I already know he is a good person. We know his closeness to his family and his charity work. That isn't going to help the Giants make the playoffs,

He is not a good coach.

GameTime
12-07-2011, 03:55 PM

Are you kidding me? Do I need to post the year-by-year collapses again?

I like him, he is a good person and a good coach -- but fatally flawed and he's STUCK, he just has no answers for the annual collapses and effortless duds. He's out of answers.

See Torre, Joe. Time to move on.
</P>

you. me, and every other fan of the Giants will piss and moan about the coach....no matter whom it may be. There are good coaches and bad coaches. Tom Coughlin is a good coach despite the collapses. He has playoff appearances and a Super Bowl ring. Thats more than most coaches can say.</P>

So when the next coach arrives for the NYG when ever that may be this website will be filled with I hate this guy or that guy or whatever. Its human nature and it will happen.</P>

Getting back to the OP.....TC is always or uaually only shown when aggravated. I dont care what anybody else says....I like TC. I like his rules and regs and Ilike what he has done with the Giants overall. As a long time fan I have endure way worse times and way worse coaches. </P>

Supremely great coaches and supremely great players are the "exception" and not the "rule" and very few teams get to have that in their history at some point. Tom is not in this catoagory but he is a very very good caoch. </P>

</P>

Morehead State
12-07-2011, 04:20 PM
FOX misrepresented the truth and gave a biased perspective? Shocking!</P>

Only you could turn this into a political thing.</P>

Giantsin04
12-07-2011, 04:26 PM
I don't care. I already know he is a good person. We know his closeness to his family and his charity work. That isn't going to help the Giants make the playoffs,

He is not a good coach.

"He is not a good coach."

Anyone who looks at his 40 year career and comes to that conclusion is an idiot.

GameTime
12-07-2011, 04:40 PM
I don't care. I already know he is a good person. We know his closeness to his family and his charity work. That isn't going to help the Giants make the playoffs, He is not a good coach. "He is not a good coach." Anyone who looks at his 40 year career and comes to that conclusion is an idiot.</P>

this^^^^^</P>

b-shaw44
12-07-2011, 05:01 PM
do you happen to have another link for this? it's a great read and the link doesn't work

RoanokeFan
12-07-2011, 08:19 PM
do you happen to have another link for this? it's a great read and the link doesn't work

The entire article is quoted and the link works when I click on it.