PDA

View Full Version : Did Bavaro get crucified when he joined the Eagles?

wildlifernyc
03-05-2012, 10:17 AM
Just curious did he get it as bad as Steve Smith or did no one seem to care as much. While I was a fan back then, there were not of outlets such as facebook, internet, etc. to connect with the city.

foxie
03-05-2012, 10:32 AM
Not that I remember, as you state, there was no facebook & internet back then, I don't remember any negatives in the press ie NY Post & Daily News. Bavaro was pretty much broken down when he left the Giants & not much left in the tank. It was a raised eyebrow "to the eagles"?, but "hey, thank for the memories & laying it out there, Good Luck!". Always a Giant! in my book!

RoanokeFan
03-05-2012, 11:04 AM
Just curious did he get it as bad as Steve Smith or did no one seem to care as much. While I was a fan back then, there were not of outlets such as facebook, internet, etc. to connect with the city.

No, he didn't and the reason was Wellington Mara. Bavaro's knees were S H O T. When asked about releasing Bavaro, Wellington said he did not want Mark's health on his conscience if he were to end up with crippling injuries due to continued play.

burier
03-05-2012, 11:12 AM
Bavaro was released.

NYG 5
03-05-2012, 11:14 AM
####ing astroturf

SweetZombieJesus
03-05-2012, 11:17 AM
My memory of it is like when Parcells joined the Cowboys -- we understand you've got "the itch" to play/coach, but why of all places would you pick THEM?

YATittle1962
03-05-2012, 11:42 AM
he didnt because he was released and his hatred for the Eagles was widely known

MattMeyerBud
03-05-2012, 11:47 AM
which is ironic, because the Giants showed the same "Disloyalty" to Bavaro as Smith showed to the Giants.

But nobody gives the organization **** for it...

nor should they, on either account

RagTime Blue
03-05-2012, 12:19 PM
Bavaro was well past prime, and I think that's the main difference. I don't think anyone thought that Bavaro was going to single-handedly beat us in games.

Also, like someone else said, he was actually released, where it was widely believed that the Giants still wanted Smith.

Roosevelt
03-05-2012, 12:36 PM
Mark didn't get treated like Steve from what I recall.

Mark knew we weren't going to let him play here so he ending up leaving.

Totally different circumstance than with Steve.

RoanokeFan
03-05-2012, 12:37 PM
which is ironic, because the Giants showed the same "Disloyalty" to Bavaro as Smith showed to the Giants.

MMB, I see a big difference in the reasons for "releasing" Bavaro and Smith. Wellington Mara didn't want Bavaro to suffer a possibly crippling injury by continuing to play in the NFL. The GIANTS wanted Smith to stay and play but Smith had other ideas.

MattMeyerBud
03-05-2012, 12:43 PM

MMB, I see a big difference in the reasons for "releasing" Bavaro and Smith. Wellington Mara didn't want Bavaro to suffer a possibly crippling injury by continuing to play in the NFL. The GIANTS wanted Smith to stay and play but Smith had other ideas.

it was just the point of any time a team releases a player who is under contract...

i just hate this steve smith debate.

Giants didn't want Smith to say. They tried to force feed him the min contract and basically said he wouldbe playing. Also, they did this after little to no contact to the point where Smith had to personally visit the facility while camp was going on to talk to Reese.

Either way.... both sides are ridiculous. This is a business and there is very little loyalty on either side - as it should be

RoanokeFan
03-05-2012, 12:55 PM

it was just the point of any time a team releases a player who is under contract...

Giants didn't want Smith to say. They tried to force feed him the min contract and basically said he wouldbe playing. Also, they did this after little to no contact to the point where Smith had to personally visit the facility while camp was going on to talk to Reese.

Either way.... both sides are ridiculous. This is a business and there is very little loyalty on either side - as it should be

There are two distinct camps on the Smith issue and, you are right, in the end, it's a business. I'm in the camp that believes John Mara when he said that prior to Smith's injury they made him an offer that would have made him one of the highest paid receivers in the NFL.

Smith going to the eagles was his decision to make. It was driven, as is virtually everything we do, by economics.

I have to admit it was refreshing for me to see Domenik Hixon talk about his loyalty to the GIANTS for everything they have done for him.

Roosevelt
03-05-2012, 12:56 PM

I agree about it being a business, but what about what John Mara has said about this?

THE_New_York_Giants
03-05-2012, 01:04 PM
Mara even signed him to a 1 year contract in 1991 knowing that he wouldn't be able to play that year. Belicheck coaxed him to Cleveland and then he played 2 years in Filthy. He had a decent first season and played Jake Ballard-esq and then his second season he couldn't do it anymore and basically got shut down.

TroyArcher
03-05-2012, 01:14 PM
Nope, Bavaro did not leave on his own. He hated the Eagles. He was one of the greatest Giants ever in my opinion. I don't recall any Giant fan ever saying even the slightest negative thing about Bavaro.

BigBlue1971
03-05-2012, 01:19 PM
Just curious did he get it as bad as Steve Smith or did no one seem to care as much. While I was a fan back then, there were not of outlets such as facebook, internet, etc. to connect with the city.</P>

</P>

Bavaro was a great great Giant. he went to the egirls cuz he wanted to play football. i dont know if money was his motivation!</P>

back in his day we didnt have the media scrunity we have today. we didnt have forums or message boards to voice our displeasure!</P>

if Bavaro went to the egirls today i guarantee he would be severly attacked for that move.</P>

not having the internet and other media social forums back then prolly kept Mark in good standing with most Giants fans.</P>

RoanokeFan
03-05-2012, 01:30 PM
Just curious did he get it as bad as Steve Smith or did no one seem to care as much. While I was a fan back then, there were not of outlets such as facebook, internet, etc. to connect with the city.</p>

</p>

Bavaro was a great great Giant. he went to the egirls cuz he wanted to play football. i dont know if money was his motivation!</p>

back in his day we didnt have the media scrunity we have today. we didnt have forums or message boards to voice our displeasure!</p>

if Bavaro went to the egirls today i guarantee he would be severly attacked for that move.</p>

not having the internet and other media social forums back then prolly kept Mark in good standing with most Giants fans.</p>

I disagree. Bavaro was not allowed to continue to play for the GIANTS. Wellington Mara wanted him to stop playing football for his health's sake.

G-Man67
03-05-2012, 02:15 PM
it was very difficult to see him in an Eagles uniform, but his legs were shot by the time he joined them&lt;P&gt;</P>

and he is rightly a beloved Giant ... his passion for the game is what prompted him to try to extend his career and the Eagles provided him with a chance to do that, so absolutely no hard feelings&lt;P&gt;</P>

and really the Smith situation had similarities ... ourdoctors clearly felt he wasn't ready to play to start the season ... so we were offering him money to play half a season, whereas Philly was offering him full season money ... it's a business</P>

nygsb42champs
03-05-2012, 02:41 PM
No. There was not the media attention then.

Kruunch
03-05-2012, 02:50 PM

Not really. Bavaro was a shell of his former self by the time he got to the Eagles. And he had a pitstop in Cleveland which kind of made people lose track of him.

Most people were sorry to see him there from a standpoint of what a crappy way to end a great career.

It was a bigger deal when we cut him ... especially since it was before the whole Free Agency fiasco of '93.

SweetZombieJesus
03-05-2012, 04:21 PM
we didnt have forums or message boards to voice our displeasure!

Yes we did, but it was nothing like today.

I was surfing on BBS bulletin boards in the early 80s and they, too, had discussion boards and were linked together by alliances like FidoNet and not the internet as we know it today, basically a bunch of independent localized sites communicating with each other during off-peak hours. Also the internet did exist but access was largely limited to colleges and corporations and there was no web browser yet. There should have been a Usenet group for the Giants that could be accessed this way. And finally, the proprietary online services (AOL, CompuServe, Prodigy) had their own message boards.

Kruunch
03-05-2012, 04:24 PM
we didnt have forums or message boards to voice our displeasure!

Yes we did, but it was nothing like today.

I was surfing on BBS bulletin boards in the early 80s and they, too, had discussion boards and were linked together by alliances like FidoNet.* Also the internet did exist but access was largely limited to colleges and corporations.* There should have been a Usenet group for the Giants that could be accessed this way.* And finally, the proprietary online services (AOL, CompuServe, Prodigy) had their own message boards.

In 1990 there was no use group (worth anything) for the Giants.

Not too many sports loving fans crawling the Internet back then.

Meanhothead
03-06-2012, 12:26 AM
Mark gave NYG everything he had, and as long as he could.

He got paid elsewhere based on his reputation, not his health.

Bohemian
03-06-2012, 12:39 AM
####ing astroturf

LOL. agreed 100%

fletch842
03-06-2012, 07:50 AM
Just curious did he get it as bad as Steve Smith or did no one seem to care as much. While I was a fan back then, there were not of outlets such as facebook, internet, etc. to connect with the city.</p>

*</p>

Bavaro was a great great Giant.* he went to the egirls cuz he wanted to play football.* i dont know if money was his motivation!</p>

back in his day we didnt have the media scrunity we have today.* we didnt have forums or message boards to voice our displeasure!</p>

if Bavaro went to the egirls today i guarantee he would be severly attacked for that move.</p>

not having the internet and other media social forums back then prolly kept Mark in good standing with most Giants fans.</p>

I disagree.* Bavaro was not allowed to continue to play for the GIANTS.* Wellington Mara wanted him to stop playing football for his health's sake.

This is the key. Wellington would not allow Bavaro to play because of concern. Most owners would have had him play with no regard for his well being. I think all Giants fans understood this, and also understood Mark's desire to continue playing anyway, and did not hold a grudge for it.

Firenugget
03-06-2012, 09:08 AM
Completely different situations. I remember actually being happy for him that he got another shot to play, but he was done here and had a great career. I felt the same way when Armstead went to the skins.

swimeasy
03-06-2012, 09:28 AM

Love your new sig YA. Great pic.

JJC7301
03-06-2012, 01:59 PM

+1. Business is business. Players have to watch out for their own person interest, just like the organization has to look out for its own interest. If the 2 interests don't mesh, then there's a parting of the ways.

Bavaro is my favorite Giant of all time. I was crushed that he was on the Eagles, but I was just more hurt that he was no longer on the Giants. But I understood, and had no anger towards management or Bavaro.

YATittle1962
03-06-2012, 02:36 PM

Love your new sig YA. Great pic.

thanks brother

that pic really touched me for some reason and reminded me of much simpler times

just looks so casual and they both look great....and happy