PDA

View Full Version : Giants Franchise Weatherford

Redeyejedi
03-05-2012, 03:51 PM
@ProFootballTalk: Per league source, Giants franchised punter Steve Weatherford.

MattMeyerBud
03-05-2012, 03:54 PM
@ProFootballTalk: Per league source, Giants franchised punter Steve Weatherford.

fair enough

but how much is that? lol

the two places i look to for frnachise costs don't even mention the punters.

and was he the first punter ever franchised?

egyptian420
03-05-2012, 03:55 PM
Great move.....well that's one situation taken care of, about 5 more to go

TrueBlue2180
03-05-2012, 03:56 PM
I would assume they just don't want him to become a FA and just want some time to negotiate a long term deal with him, but I'm not sure. What would "top 5" punter money even be?

MattMeyerBud
03-05-2012, 03:59 PM
THE FRANCHISE

Redeyejedi
03-05-2012, 04:01 PM
I looked at the salaries and If they are correct he should get 2,420,000

Eli TO Shockey
03-05-2012, 04:01 PM
<h6 class="uiStreamMessage uiStreamHeadline"><div class="actorDescription actorName" data-ft="{&quot;type&quot;:2}">Adam Schefter (http://www.facebook.com/AdamSchefter)</div></h6><h6 class="uiStreamMessage" data-ft="{&quot;type&quot;:1}"> <span class="messageBody" data-ft="{&quot;type&quot;:3}">Giants'
Steve Weatherford joins Michael Koenen (2009) and Todd Sauerbrun (2003)
as the only three punters ever to receive franchise tag.</span></h6>

manning to shockey
03-05-2012, 04:02 PM
Ralph Vacchiano ? @TheBlueScreen
I believe the "franchise" number for a punter is approximately $2.6 million. Two sides had been talking about a longer deal, though. #NYG

Mike Garafolo ? @MikeGarafolo
Tag for Weatherford comes with an estimated $2.5 million salary for this season if he signs it. #nyg

NYG 5
03-05-2012, 04:02 PM
have the giants ever used the tag before?

and has a punter ever been franchised? lol

MattMeyerBud
03-05-2012, 04:03 PM
Garafolo said it was worth 2.5 mil

manning to shockey
03-05-2012, 04:03 PM

1. That makes @Weatherford5 only the third Giant ever franchised, joining Brandon Jacobs (2009) and Jumbo Elliott (1993).

2. dunno

jhamburg
03-05-2012, 04:05 PM

Giants used it on Jacobs.

The Falcons franchised a punter a few years ago. It actually makes sense if you don't need the tag for anyone else since Punters are so cheap. Also you can safely use the non-exclusive tag which is cheaper since no team would ever give up a 1st rounder for a punter.

nygsb42champs
03-05-2012, 04:13 PM
It keeps him here, that is really all that matters.

giantsfan420
03-05-2012, 04:22 PM
i expect a long term deal to get worked out...

and a question for u savants out there, how long has the franchise tag been in the nfl? i dont remember ever hearing about it pre like 2002...jumbo elliot got one in 1993?? surprises me the tag has been around so long

hungrrrry
03-05-2012, 04:35 PM
@ProFootballTalk: Per league source, Giants franchised punter Steve Weatherford.I saw this on rotoworld.com and thought "holy ****ing ****! The Giants used the franchise tag!" I am still shocked!!!

Vtgmenfan89
03-05-2012, 04:37 PM
Good. He was the one player I thought would be a good deal to use on. Not too too expensive and it has been reporting they're working towards a long term deal, which will almost certainly be done.

Thank god we picked this guy up, I doubt we win the Super Bowl with Matt Dodge...great signing

gmen46
03-05-2012, 04:41 PM

The Falcons franchised a punter a few years ago. It actually makes sense if you don't need the tag for anyone else since Punters are so cheap. Also you can safely use the non-exclusive tag which is cheaper since no team would ever give up a 1st rounder for a punter.

Unless it's the Raiders.

Ray Guy, 1st round, 1973. (Was worth it, too)

hungrrrry
03-05-2012, 04:42 PM

Giants used it on Jacobs. The Falcons franchised a punter a few years ago. It actually makes sense if you don't need the tag for anyone else since Punters are so cheap. Also you can safely use the non-exclusive tag which is cheaper since no team would ever give up a 1st rounder for a punter.Punters may have lower salaries but good punters like Feagles and Weatherford are very hard to come by and worth their weight in gold...I am sure the FO will get his 2012 cap number down to where it doesn't hurt as much as the top 5 money would! I hope we can lock him up for a very long time!!!

Toadofsteel
03-05-2012, 04:46 PM

Giants used it on Jacobs. The Falcons franchised a punter a few years ago. It actually makes sense if you don't need the tag for anyone else since Punters are so cheap. Also you can safely use the non-exclusive tag which is cheaper since no team would ever give up a 1st rounder for a punter.Punters may have lower salaries but good punters like Feagles and Weatherford are very hard to come by and worth their weight in gold...I am sure the FO will get his 2012 cap number down to where it doesn't hurt as much as the top 5 money would! I hope we can lock him up for a very long time!!!

This. Weatherford is worth WAAAAAAAAAAAAY more than the 2.6M figure for punters tag. I hope this is to give more time to work on a long-term deal, but definitely worth it. I know that if ANYONE would be franchised this offseason, it would be weatherford. After The Dodge, having weatherford is the best thing on this team in a long time. His stats at placing his punts within the 10 and 5 yard lines is unreal (and awesome)...

G-Men Surg.
03-05-2012, 05:09 PM
I would assume they just don't want him to become a FA and just want some time to negotiate a long term deal with him, but I'm not sure.* What would "top 5" punter money even be?

True. It looks like the Giants are buying some time to sign him to a long term deal .

Kruunch
03-05-2012, 05:22 PM
Smart move by the Giants.

One of the cheapest positions to franchise and a very strong acknowledgement of just how much his boot meant (and will continue to mean) to us.

WTF were the Jets thinking?!

Flip Empty
03-05-2012, 05:24 PM
I like how so many people were adamant that the Giants wouldn't use the tag. You underestimated the importance of retaining this guy. He would've been #3 on my list for XLVI MVP.

I'd say it's to buy time though. They'll want to lock him up long term.

Kruunch
03-05-2012, 05:33 PM
I like how so many people were adamant that the Giants wouldn't use the tag. You underestimated the importance of retaining this guy. He would've been #3 on my list for XLVI MVP.

I'd say it's to buy time though. They'll want to lock him up long term.

A lot of people mentioned franchising Weatherford.

And while he was important, it's also THE cheapest franchise tag at $2.5 mil.

ghwriter1976
03-05-2012, 05:33 PM
So fitting that he has the same number as Sean Landeta.

This was a great move by the Giants. I seriously doubt we even sniff the playoffs without Steve....

swimeasy
03-05-2012, 05:41 PM
Exactly!

JR never ceases to surprise and impress.

Good news for twitter fans. ;)

giantsfan420
03-05-2012, 05:48 PM
Smart move by the Giants.

One of the cheapest positions to franchise and a very strong acknowledgement of just how much his boot meant (and will continue to mean) to us.

WTF were the Jets thinking?!

i honestly have no idea...but thats prob bc we arent complete morons.

the jets st coach was even insulting weatherford, it wasnt even just releasing him, it was insulting him...looks like we get the last laugh, again.

u got to believe the st coach is on the hot seat, wasnt he the guy who tripped a player on the sidelines??

NYGRealityCheck
03-05-2012, 05:50 PM

" A "non-exclusive" franchise player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount no less than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position in the previous year, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater." -Wiki

It can be calculated.
Weatherford's salary for 2011 was $700K so the 120% will not factor in.

So the average of the top 5 paid punters in 2011.....
http://www.spotrac.com/top-salaries/nfl/2011/cap-hit/punter/

Shane Lechler $5,050,000 (it's the Raiders)
Adam Podlesh $2,900,000
Mat McBriar $2,200,000
Matt Turk $2,000,000
Dustin Colquitt $1,980,000

The average is $2,826,000. As you can see, without Lechler's salary, the average would be a bit lower ($2.178 mil average for 2nd-6th punter).

The Giants may still offer Weatherford a long-term deal and were just buying time.

giantsfan420
03-05-2012, 05:51 PM

" A "non-exclusive" franchise player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount no less than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position in the previous year, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater." -Wiki

It can be calculated.

Adam Podlesh $2,900,000
Mat McBriar $2,200,000
Matt Turk $2,000,000

The average is $2,826,000. As you can see, without Lechler's salary, the average would be a bit lower ($2.178 mil average for 2nd-6th punter).

thanks for the info, but if theirs one punter worth that money it is lechler, guy is nasty at punting and has led the league in it for years now or been top 3

Redeyejedi
03-05-2012, 05:51 PM

Unless it's the Raiders.

Ray Guy, 1st round, 1973. (Was worth it, too) Raiders took a Kicker at 17. Not only a kicker but a kicker with character issues. A kicker who was facing deportation

NYGRealityCheck
03-05-2012, 05:55 PM

It can be calculated.

Adam Podlesh $2,900,000
Mat McBriar $2,200,000
Matt Turk $2,000,000

thanks for the info, but if theirs one punter worth that money it is lechler, guy is nasty at punting and has led the league in it for years now or been top 3

I agree Lechler is no joke. P Lechler and the strongest kicker in the business K Janikowski have been the main-stay bright spot for the Raiders for several years.

Flip Empty
03-05-2012, 05:59 PM
Hopeless punter one year, tag-worthy punter the next. Thanks, Jets.

ghwriter1976
03-05-2012, 06:02 PM
Just saw this from Giants 101...

<quote>Mike Garafolo reports Steve Weatherford is NOT expected to sign his franchise tender. He still hopes for a long-term deal.</quote>

nycsportzfan
03-05-2012, 06:08 PM
I would assume they just don't want him to become a FA and just want some time to negotiate a long term deal with him, but I'm not sure. What would "top 5" punter money even be?
who knows, but it makes sense, that way as u said, u don't have to go longterm with him, and make sure hes not a 1yr wonder type...

Flip Empty
03-05-2012, 06:10 PM
who knows, but it makes sense, that way as u said, u don't have to go longterm with him, and make sure hes not a 1yr wonder type...
He's not. He was great with the Jets. That's what makes his release from there all the more baffling.

NYGRealityCheck
03-05-2012, 06:12 PM
Just saw this from Giants 101...

<quote>Mike Garafolo reports Steve Weatherford is NOT expected to sign his franchise tender. He still hopes for a long-term deal.</quote>

Yes, that is still a very likely possibility. The franchise tag pretty much guarantees that after March 13 (start date of free agency), other teams will shy away from negotiating with Weatherford now that a first-round draft pick is involved. Giants have more time to hammer out a long-term deal with Weatherford without worrying about other team offers during free agency.

RoanokeFan
03-05-2012, 07:44 PM
Weatherford is thrilled:

Excerpt: "What a blessing to have another opportunity to be a NY Giant for
atleast another season. God is good!!!" Weatherford posted on his
Twitter account." Read more at link

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/03/giants_place_franchise_tag_on.html

I think they will continue working on a long term deal as they did with Jacobs a few years ago.

GreenZone
03-05-2012, 08:25 PM
This is one of those things that is hard to explain about negotiations and the cap.

If Steve is determined to be a Giant anyway and the Giants are willing to pay a top 5 salary anyway, who is going to outbid the Giants in free agency... when Steve wants to be here?

There's some bit of key info missing here...maybe like the agent asked the Giants to do this. It would be interesting to know.

nhpgiantsfan
03-05-2012, 08:38 PM
This thread makes me sit back and laugh to myself at all of the people on this board that were screaming in August that we needed to keep Dodge and give him more time to develop, and that he had more of an upside. Nobody will admit it, but you guys know who you are.

So glad we are locking this guy up.

THE_New_York_Giants
03-05-2012, 08:42 PM
I hope they sign him to a 10 year deal.

RoanokeFan
03-05-2012, 08:44 PM
This is one of those things that is hard to explain about negotiations and the cap.

If Steve is determined to be a Giant anyway and the Giants are willing to pay a top 5 salary anyway, who is going to outbid the Giants in free agency... when Steve wants to be here?

There's some bit of key info missing here...maybe like the agent asked the Giants to do this. It would be interesting to know.

I think The GIANTS want to hammer out a long term deal, as they did when the applied the tag to Jacobs. What they are doing by applying the tag to Weatherford is letting other teams know that whatever they might consider offering to pay Weatherford, it's also going to cost them at least a 1st round draft choice (depending on what news account you believe).

THE_New_York_Giants
03-05-2012, 08:50 PM

I think The GIANTS want to hammer out a long term deal, as they did when the applied the tag to Jacobs.* What they are doing by applying the tag to Weatherford is letting other teams know that whatever they might consider offering to pay Weatherford, it's also going to cost them at least a 1st round draft choice (depending on what news account you believe).

This

Weatherford is going to get 10 years for about 12 mil.

JJC7301
03-05-2012, 09:01 PM

fair enough

but how much is that? lol

the two places i look to for frnachise costs don't even mention the punters.

and was he the first punter ever franchised?

There have been a slew of punters, or at least kickers, franchised over the past 48 hours.

He deserves it, the Giants need him, and it makes sense to spend money on the punter as well as a kicker. Those two positions can make such a difference as Weatherford showed this season and especially in the playoffs.

I love that our Special Teams are pretty special again. Great D, Great O, Great ST -- we're looking pretty great all the way around.

GreenZone
03-05-2012, 11:12 PM

I think The GIANTS want to hammer out a long term deal, as they did when the applied the tag to Jacobs. What they are doing by applying the tag to Weatherford is letting other teams know that whatever they might consider offering to pay Weatherford, it's also going to cost them at least a 1st round draft choice (depending on what news account you believe).

Yes, it was stated that the Giants want to hammer out a long term deal. That's great. It doesn't reason that Steve is somehow going to jump at another deal before hearing what the Giants have to offer, so the Giants have to use a maneuver to prevent him from waiting for the offer to get the deal done?

This, I should add, is in the context of what Steve has candidly said from the beginning, that he wants to play no where else but for the Giants. There should have been no need for this tag. The agent must have wanted it to show that the Giants were going to act in good faith, so he could show his client how he's doing the job to keep Steve with the Giants, along with long term job security.

That jives with what Steve said about the tag: he was truly excited to be given it to be with the Giants next year. Usually, you'd expect a player tagged to want to test the waters and be something akin to being upset at being prevented from doing so. Not in this case.

If Steve wanted to play somewhere else--or seek additional offers-- he'll take the one year salary and be unrestricted next season. But, we all know he won't do that.

Some guys are around the team for a few years and you don't think they're really one of them, but Steve is around for only one year and you can see him as if he's been born to be a Giant and already a staple of the team for years to come.

Bohemian
03-05-2012, 11:23 PM
I am sure that I am not alone in thinking that franchising Weatherford was a great move. I am thankful that the deadline has passed, as I hate not knowing what the FA market looks like. Now, it is time to consider bringing in talent that want to play with a championship organization.

The TE FA market sucks this year. I sure hope that we can find some help to compensate for our injuries at the position.

But keeping Weatherford is a great start.

Drez
03-05-2012, 11:25 PM

Yes, it was stated that the Giants want to hammer out a long term deal. That's great. It doesn't reason that Steve is somehow going to jump at another deal before hearing what the Giants have to offer, so the Giants have to use a maneuver to prevent him from waiting for the offer to get the deal done?

This, I should add, is in the context of what Steve has candidly said from the beginning, that he wants to play no where else but for the Giants. There should have been no need for this tag. The agent must have wanted it to show that the Giants were going to act in good faith, so he could show his client how he's doing the job to keep Steve with the Giants, along with long term job security.

That jives with what Steve said about the tag: he was truly excited to be given it to be with the Giants next year. Usually, you'd expect a player tagged to want to test the waters and be something akin to being upset at being prevented from doing so. Not in this case.

If Steve wanted to play somewhere else--or seek additional offers-- he'll take the one year salary and be unrestricted next season. But, we all know he won't do that.
</P>

But, here's the monkey wrench in your argument. While Weatherford may want to be a Giant and very possibly wouldn't take another offer, he (or his agent) could use those offers to drive his price up (and then there's the very real possibility that a team could offer him a deal that he just couln't refuse, much like Boss with the Raiders). Whereas before we could have signed him for say $2.5m/yr (just giving the franchise number as it represents a fairly high and fair number), if we allow other teams to enter the fray, that number may rise to $3.25m or $3.5m/yr. With our current cap situation and number of internal FAs that we have that $750k-$1m may be the difference between working out a contract or two or not.</P>

NY_Eli
03-06-2012, 06:31 AM
In terms of consistency in 2011, there was Eli, Weatherford, then everyone else.

giantsforce
03-06-2012, 02:54 PM
Good move. Besides Eli and JPP he was the most consistent player throughout the year. Could have been MVP of the SB.

G-Man67
03-06-2012, 03:40 PM
rumor is that Weatherford is getting a tattoo of a Franchise Tag

GreenZone
03-07-2012, 01:06 AM
From what Steve said today, I'm quite sure it was the agent who said, in effect: "You want Steve for long term? Prove it by using the franchise tag."

The tag is something that players usually resent a.k.a. Drew Breese right now, as they know it will prevent open bidding for their services. Steve, on the other hand, is thrilled.