PDA

View Full Version : Who would you rather retain, Jacobs or Manningham?

rebelfan1966
03-06-2012, 10:19 AM
Given the cap issue... both guys appear to be at risk of leaving the team... ... if we could keep one, who would it be?

MattMeyerBud
03-06-2012, 10:24 AM
IF i could keep either of them, i would rather keep JAcobs

but i'd prob like to move on. Mario is gonna get a nice sized contract that we can't afford

burier
03-06-2012, 10:47 AM

but i'd prob like to move on. Mario is gonna get a nice sized contract that we can't afford

My heart says Jacobs because...well its Brandon Jacobs. But realistically we couldn't even run the ball last season. It only makes sense that some heads roll for that.

On the other hand the passing game was top notch so you'd want to avoid tinkering with the support beams when it comes to that.

So if I had to choose in the best interest of the team I'd keep Rio.

RoanokeFan
03-06-2012, 10:49 AM

My heart says Jacobs because...well its Brandon Jacobs. But realistically we couldn't even run the ball last season. It only makes sense that some heads roll for that.

On the other hand the passing game was top notch so you'd want to avoid tinkering with the support beams when it comes to that.

Running behind our OLine would have changed anyone's stats. I'd keep Jacobs as we improve the OLine.

swimeasy
03-06-2012, 10:56 AM

Running behind our OLine would have changed anyone's stats. I'd keep Jacobs as we improve the OLine.

^^^Absolutely THIS.

burier
03-06-2012, 11:02 AM

Running behind our OLine would have changed anyone's stats.* I'd keep Jacobs as we improve the OLine.

Ok lets take it a step further. Mario is younger and has endured much less wear and tear.

jhamburg
03-06-2012, 11:08 AM

Running behind our OLine would have changed anyone's stats.* I'd keep Jacobs as we improve the OLine.

Ok lets take it a step further. Mario is younger and has endured much less wear and tear.

I can't believe I agree with burier, but yeah....30 year old back vs. 26 year old WR? C'mon, man...Leave money out of the argument and it's no contest.

Toadofsteel
03-06-2012, 11:18 AM
We have much better depth at WR than we do at RB. That said, I don't know if either will return. Jernigan will step up for Mario and Da'Rel Scott will step up for Jacobs.

For a while I thought Jacobs would take a pay cut to be on the team, but now I'm not so sure...

jhamburg
03-06-2012, 11:24 AM
We have much better depth at WR than we do at RB. That said, I don't know if either will return. Jernigan will step up for Mario and Da'Rel Scott will step up for Jacobs.

For a while I thought Jacobs would take a pay cut to be on the team, but now I'm not so sure...

Really, much better depth? I mean what do Barden and Jernigan have like 100 yards between them? I think we're in uncharted territory in both positions.

burier
03-06-2012, 11:29 AM

Really, much better depth? I mean what do Barden and Jernigan have like 100 yards between them? I think we're in uncharted territory in both positions.

seriously! We have no depth at WR. I have no reason to write Jernigan off (No reason to assume he can hold down a spot either) but Barden is 100% pure garbage.

Id make him return punts.

nhpgiantsfan
03-06-2012, 11:34 AM
I am assuming this thread was started asking who you would rather have not thinking about salary.

MM is the obvious answer. I mean it's not even close.

I love Jacobs but anyone who picks Jacobs is just picking with their heart and not their brain. I mean how many times did he get stopped on 3rd and short this year. I would love to have him back but not at the expense of keeping our current WR corps whole.

RoanokeFan
03-06-2012, 11:36 AM

I can't believe I agree with burier, but yeah....30 year old back vs. 26 year old WR? C'mon, man...Leave money out of the argument and it's no contest.

We have to factor in Mario's problems with route running as well.

RoanokeFan
03-06-2012, 11:40 AM

It's hard to leave money out of this when it was in the OP

JesseJames
03-06-2012, 12:05 PM
I think the question about Jacobs and whether or not he's worth keeping is based on who's fault it is that his numbers are down. Personally I think the fault lies more with the O line and the terrible run blocking than in Jacob inability to run the ball anymore. I also believe that the team can pick up a good RB either in FA or the draft to replace Jacobs if thats what they decide, and I think Manningham might be harder to replace than Jacobs....

jhamburg
03-06-2012, 12:11 PM

Well in that case neither. I was a little confused by the way it was worded.

burier
03-06-2012, 12:12 PM

I think the OP was using the CAP as a framework for affording either or.

If we're talking about money there really isnt a discussion. We probably can't afford Rio and we might be able to afford Jacobs.

but if the situation was set up so that we could afford one or the other I'd take Rio. Actually I wouldn't really have a choice.

RoanokeFan
03-06-2012, 12:14 PM

The heading doesn't mention the CAP but that's how he leads off his question. I believe the fault with the running game rested more with the effectiveness of the line than the inefficiency of the running backs since both Bradshaw and Jacobs were b oth negatively affected. Jacobs more so because of his style of running.

The CAP may well be the reason neither is a GIANTS this season.

jhamburg
03-06-2012, 12:20 PM

The heading doesn't mention the CAP but that's how he leads off his question.* I believe the fault with the running game rested more with the effectiveness of the line than the inefficiency of the running backs since both Bradshaw and Jacobs were b oth negatively affected.* Jacobs more so because of his style of running.

I know Jacobs has been here for a long time and we're sentimental for him, but if I were a GM I'd be pretty ruthless with cutting over-30 RBs loose. Injury prone RB with a physical style headed into his 30s? We all know how this story ends.

blueomaha
03-06-2012, 12:38 PM

The heading doesn't mention the CAP but that's how he leads off his question. I believe the fault with the running game rested more with the effectiveness of the line than the inefficiency of the running backs since both Bradshaw and Jacobs were b oth negatively affected. Jacobs more so because of his style of running.

I know Jacobs has been here for a long time and we're sentimental for him, but if I were a GM I'd be pretty ruthless with cutting over-30 RBs loose. Injury prone RB with a physical style headed into his 30s? We all know how this story ends.even though BJ's ability to run the rock with authority has fallen of the table, it's just something i like about him...sentimental seems like as good a word as any...MM seems to be open to moving on...just a tough question for me...i wish them both the best.....

G-Man67
03-06-2012, 12:48 PM
no disrespect to Brandon, who hasbeen a very good player for us, but clearly MM is a big time playmaker ... unfortunately it doesn't look like we can pay him what some team(s) would offer ... even good teams / playoff teams like the Ravens lack a playmaker of Mario's ability

THIRDINF516
03-06-2012, 12:57 PM
I am assuming this thread was started asking who you would rather have not thinking about salary.

I love Jacobs but anyone who picks Jacobs is just picking with their heart and not their brain. I mean how many times did he get stopped on 3rd and short this year. I would love to have him back but not at the expense of keeping our current WR corps whole.

Jacobs is 50% on 4th and 1 in his career. I am curious what the league average is.

If you take money out of the mix, the obvious answer is Manningham. But you cant take money out as thats a part of free agency.
Jacobs for one more year in my book is a great idea, he is a true Giant and one of my favorites.

egyptian420
03-06-2012, 12:58 PM
I'd love to have both, but it seems like Jacobs is the only one that even has a chance of being here next year, Mario is as good as gone.

Drez
03-06-2012, 01:00 PM
If money was not an issue and we could only keep one, I'd say MM. However, it's more realistic that Jacobs sticks around than MM.

egyptian420
03-06-2012, 01:01 PM

Jacobs is 50% on 4th and 1 in his career. I am curious what the league average is.

If you take money out of the mix, the obvious answer is Manningham. But you cant take money out as thats a part of free agency.
Jacobs for one more year in my book is a great idea, he is a true Giant and one of my favorites.
+1....any time jacobs has solid holes he makes huuge plays, he still has atleast a year or 2 left in him and I agree, Giant for life

If he goes somewhere else I could definitely see him signing a one day contract and retiring as a Giant.

Drez
03-06-2012, 01:08 PM
I love Jacobs but anyone who picks Jacobs is just picking with their heart and not their brain. I mean how many times did he get stopped on 3rd and short this year. </P>

I hate when people come out with this drivel. How many times this season on 3rd and short did the OL get ZERO push and actually get blown off the line in those situations? 8 out of 10 times if there's a failed 3rd or 4th and short the blame falls on the OL, not the RB. </P>

It's hard to pick up first downs when you're getting hit behind the LoS.</P>

JJC7301
03-06-2012, 01:53 PM

+100%.

nhpgiantsfan
03-06-2012, 02:03 PM
I love Jacobs but anyone who picks Jacobs is just picking with their heart and not their brain. I mean how many times did he get stopped on 3rd and short this year. </P>

I hate when people come out with this drivel. How many times this season on 3rd and short did the OL get ZERO push and actually get blown off the line in those situations? 8 out of 10 times if there's a failed 3rd or 4th and short the blame falls on the OL, not the RB. </P>

It's hard to pick up first downs when you're getting hit behind
the LoS.</P>
I know the line played terrible this year. And I have stated how much I love Jacobs, but the question was if you could keep one, who do you keep. I mean how could anyone say with a straight face that they would keep Jacobs over Manningham at this point in their careers. It just doesn't make sense.

hungrrrry
03-06-2012, 02:10 PM
If all things were equal I would want Mario since his upside is so much more than what Jacobs is from this point forward. Everyone knows we can't afford to keep Mario and honestly Jacobs isn't the player he once was, and I don't believe he can be anymore.....The way I see it, they are both gone...I have already accepted it.

ShockeyShow
03-06-2012, 02:17 PM
Jacobs, for the sheer fact that when he's focused, he's capable of 4-5 ypc.

It's not entirely his fault, but I'm sick of hearing the O-Line argument when it comes to his lack of production. I'm not saying I expect him to avg. the 4-5 yards behind our current line, but you are 6'4, 265 lbs big fella. If the hole isnt there, lower the pads, crush the line and FALL FORWARD FOR 2!

I attest his lack of production this year to him not wanting to get injured in a contract year. Can't say I blame him, but he did the same thing in 09.....his YPC went from 4-5 the three years prior, down to 3.6.

BeatYale
03-06-2012, 02:59 PM

That statement works against him as much as it works for him. An improved OLine would benefit any RB.

The question is at what cost is he worth keeping on the team when you consider his value is suppose to be as a power RB, yet he's developed a terrible running style in which he hesitates around the LOS and kills his forward momentum making life easier for defenders. Coughlin always looks furious when he sees that on the field.

nhpgiantsfan
03-06-2012, 03:50 PM
Jacobs, for the sheer fact that when he's focused, he's capable of 4-5 ypc. It's not entirely his fault, but I'm sick of hearing the O-Line argument when it comes to his lack of production. I'm not saying I expect him to avg. the 4-5 yards behind our current line, but you are 6'4, 265 lbs big fella. If the hole isnt there, lower the pads, crush the line and FALL FORWARD FOR 2! I attest his lack of production this year to him not wanting to get injured in a contract year. Can't say I blame him, but he did the same thing in 09.....his YPC went from 4-5 the three years prior, down to 3.6.</P>

</P>

Contract year??It wasn't a contract year.You do realize he is signed for next year right. The debate is whether the Giants will release him or convince him to restructure. </P>

ShockeyShow
03-06-2012, 04:30 PM
brainfart....was thinking of Rio being in contract year.

That reinforces my point though. You would think he would want to do everything in his power to keep his production high and ensure that he wouldn't be the guy they arte asking to restructure

poppa smurph
03-06-2012, 04:43 PM
brainfart....was thinking of Rio being in contract year. That reinforces my point though. You would think he would want to do everything in his power to keep his production high and ensure that he wouldn't be the guy they arte asking to restructure</P>

I'm pretty sure Jacobs wasn't taking plays off, he wants to do well as much as we want him to do well.</P>

The O-line was as much to blame for the lack of rushing yards as any back that was on the field.</P>

Lanes closed up, guys didn't get onto LB's... there wasn't much of a consistent push from the O-line this past year.</P>

And if it was just the case of being 6 4, 260 and lowering your shoulder for positive yards in the running game, every team would have a guy like that on their roster. It's not as easy as some make it sound.</P>

Jiffy Jeff
03-06-2012, 04:50 PM
Jacobs.

ShockeyShow
03-06-2012, 08:06 PM
brainfart....was thinking of Rio being in contract year. That reinforces my point though. You would think he would want to do everything in his power to keep his production high and ensure that he wouldn't be the guy they arte asking to restructure</P>

I'm pretty sure Jacobs wasn't taking plays off, he wants to do well as much as we want him to do well.</P>

The O-line was as much to blame for the lack of rushing yards as any back that was on the field.</P>

Lanes closed up, guys didn't get onto LB's... there wasn't much of a consistent push from the O-line this past year.</P>

And if it was just the case of being 6 4, 260 and lowering your shoulder for positive yards in the running game, every team would have a guy like that on their roster. It's not as easy as some make it sound.</P>

It's anything but easy, and I dont think he was taking plays off either, but I cant accept him stutter stepping and then getting stood straight up.

He runs very high, there is no denying that

Hooligans
03-06-2012, 09:08 PM
Given the cap issue... both guys appear to be at risk of leaving the team... ... if we could keep one, who would it be?
You must be kidding......the Giants are going to cut Jacobs, and they would love to keep Manningham, but he is asking too much for a 3rd WR.

EliTE
03-06-2012, 09:19 PM
jacobs, for his leadership and end zone dancing.

poppa smurph
03-07-2012, 12:07 AM

It's anything but easy, and I dont think he was taking plays off either, but I cant accept him stutter stepping and then getting stood straight up.

He runs very high, there is no denying thatno, true that.
but if the line gets pushed back, and guys don't get holes opened up, Barry Sanders takes a loss of yards too.
I admit, I'm a Jacobs sympathizer, but not at expense of the team.
He gets a sniff of good money and he's gone, I can accept that.

Bohemian
03-07-2012, 12:14 AM
You can always replace a receiver that is not all that great to start with, but it is not easy to replace a locker room leader. Jacobs would be that leader. I like Manningham, but considering the depth at the position in the free agency market, plus the draft is not a bad option either. Jacobs should stay, as he is one of the teams motivational leaders.

Firenugget
03-07-2012, 12:21 PM
Mario.

I get the logic of leadership, etc..but I just think BJ is on the downside. Not to mention, without a dominant Oline to create some lanes it doesn't matter who we have running the ball. In the end I'd hate to lose either, but it is what it is and my personal preference would be to keep MM.

FDNY Fitzy
03-07-2012, 03:31 PM
Are you kidding?

Jacobs is at the end of his career, can't catch, can't run out of shotgun, and most of his progress has been due to the offensive line. The only aspect in which he is above average is once he gets into the secondary. He does not fit this team's new identity.

Rio was our fastest receiver and a sideline threat in all his years as a Giant. Keep him and we have a legitimate 3rd receiving threat which we especially need when Nicks gets hurt.

jhamburg
03-07-2012, 04:50 PM

+100%.

You guys blaming the OL can't have it both ways. Back in the '07-'08 years we had the best OL in the NFL, any back would have put up big numbers. You can't give Jacobs all the credit for his good years and none of the blame for his bad years.

Tony Bruno
03-07-2012, 05:00 PM

My heart says Jacobs because...well its Brandon Jacobs. But realistically we couldn't even run the ball last season. It only makes sense that some heads roll for that. On the other hand the passing game was top notch so you'd want to avoid tinkering with the support beams when it comes to that. So if I had to choose in the best interest of the team I'd keep Rio.

</P>

</P>

I agree... I think if the O line gets better the run game gets better.. The run game has more of a hurdle but the better results when effective... After seeing what Cruz stepped right in and did I feel confindent that most any WR would a easier fit into the "system"... I think there are more Manninghams out there thaen acobs (all depending on a healthy o line)...</P>

Hooligans
03-07-2012, 08:21 PM
Jacobs will be cut because he isn't worth what his contract amount is for 2012 and Manningham is gone because some team will offer him much more than the Giants are willing to pay....the Giants have to save their monies for Nicks and Cruz, and spending a lot on a 3rd WR is beyond stupid.

BillTheGreek
03-08-2012, 10:51 AM
Mario Manningham, Sad to say, its not going to happen, he will go to a higher offering team. He will demand and get a good salary increase......Did we foreget what he did for us in the Super Bowl.

RoanokeFan
03-08-2012, 10:59 AM
You must be kidding......the Giants are going to cut Jacobs, and they would love to keep Manningham, but he is asking too much for a 3rd WR.

That wasn't what we were asked. What the team has done or will do has nothing to do what we'd rather they do.

PRFan
03-09-2012, 12:35 AM
Ham!
He just does more for the team, but he would be more expensive versus the cap.
I think both are gone.

PRFan
03-09-2012, 12:40 AM

+1....any time jacobs has solid holes he makes huuge plays, he still has atleast a year or 2 left in him and I agree, Giant for life

If he goes somewhere else I could definitely see him signing a one day contract and retiring as a Giant.

Right, but what RB can't run with solid holes?? I know it wasn't all his fault but it's time to move one unless he comes in real cheap and from the rumors, he's not open to it.