PDA

View Full Version : Looks like Blackurn Won't be Back

b-shaw44
03-06-2012, 01:24 PM
i was really hoping we could bring him back, probably letting go of him once again.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1092957-the-new-york-giants-will-retain-jonathan-goff-over-chase-blackburn

THE_New_York_Giants
03-06-2012, 01:31 PM
i was really hoping we could bring him back, probably letting go of him once again.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1092957-the-new-york-giants-will-retain-jonathan-goff-over-chase-blackburn
I don't understand this. Goff is terrible. Blackburn was a major reason we won the Superbowl. Goff is another Gerris Wilkerson.

Kruunch
03-06-2012, 01:44 PM

I don't understand this. Goff is terrible. Blackburn was a major reason we won the Superbowl. Goff is another Gerris Wilkerson.

Goff had the second most stops for a loss in 2010 on the Giants and was in the top 5 in the league that year in that regard.

Chase Blackburn is going to be a fan favorite but he isn't remotely as good as Goff is as a starting LBer (injury aside).

Tyree was a major reason we won the Super Bowl in 2007 ... you didn't see him back the following year either did you?

TheEnigma
03-06-2012, 01:48 PM
Damn. There goes the playoffs :(

GMENAGAIN
03-06-2012, 01:48 PM
i was really hoping we could bring him back, probably letting go of him once again. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1092957-the-new-york-giants-will-retain-jonathan-goff-over-chase-blackburn I don't understand this. Goff is terrible. Blackburn was a major reason we won the Superbowl. Goff is another Gerris Wilkerson. Goff had the second most stops for a loss in 2010 on the Giants and was in the top 5 in the league that year in that regard. Chase Blackburn is going to be a fan favorite but he isn't remotely as good as Goff is as a starting LBer (injury aside). Tyree was a major reason we won the Super Bowl in 2007 ... you didn't see him back the following year either did you?</P>

+1 </P>

You have to loveChase if you're a Giants fan, but Goff is the better player (assuming he is healthy of course)AND still has upside. </P>

GameTime
03-06-2012, 01:49 PM
<FONT color=#000000></FONT></P>

<FONT color=#000000></FONT></P>

<FONT color=#000000>The BR (BS) report is telling nothing we dont already know. This article has nothing new.</FONT></P>

</P>

</P>

b_ELI_eve
03-06-2012, 01:50 PM

Goff had the second most stops for a loss in 2010 on the Giants and was in the top 5 in the league that year in that regard.

Chase Blackburn is going to be a fan favorite but he isn't remotely as good as Goff is as a starting LBer (injury aside).

Tyree was a major reason we won the Super Bowl in 2007 ... you didn't see him back the following year either did you?

Blackburn contributed a lot more than Tyree did in games besides the Superbowl.

myles2424
03-06-2012, 01:55 PM
Goff is better than blackburn & goff is average......let's stop settling for scraps at LB......our standards have dropped at LB,We have great talent at everyother position....

GGTM_1977
03-06-2012, 01:56 PM
Lets be honest and bring to light the real reason for this type of move.......Goff will be cheaper, so that is why the FO will go with him. For all we know he could come back next year and suffer another season ending injury in the first 3 games.......or just suck because he is trying to come back from this injury. Goff has more potetial yes, more athletic...possibly. Better all around player and team mate......I don't think so......and thats where this conversation ends....

myles2424
03-06-2012, 02:01 PM
Lets be honest and bring to light the real reason for this type of move.......Goff will be cheaper, so that is why the FO will go with him. For all we know he could come back next year and suffer another season ending injury in the first 3 games.......or just suck because he is trying to come back from this injury. Goff has more potetial yes, more athletic...possibly. Better all around player and team mate......I don't think so......and thats where this conversation ends.... I also have a feeling FO knows we have to add more LB depth through the draft & if blackburn sticks around things will be crowded.....but on the other hand,Jones has shown zero as MLB depth.....and I'd say sintim is gone....we don't exactly have the best LBs....

jhamburg
03-06-2012, 02:07 PM
Goff is better than blackburn & goff is average......let's stop settling for scraps at LB......our standards have dropped at LB,We have great talent at everyother position....

Boley and Kiwi are good LBs. Williams had a really good rookie year and will continue to improve, as will the other rookies. LB has more potential to improve without adding new players than any other position.

MikeIsaGiant
03-06-2012, 02:16 PM
Love Chase, but Goff is better

Kruunch
03-06-2012, 02:30 PM

Blackburn contributed a lot more than Tyree did in games besides the Superbowl.

That's debatable ... he played as a 2 down backer that got pulled when we went into the nickel.

And Boley was calling the defense all year (except for Grant while he was out).

Blackburn did an awesome job for us and I've liked him coming off the bench for awhile now (and hated that he was cut this year).

BUT I also understand that he's not the answer at MLB over anybody but maybe Greg Jones.

myles2424
03-06-2012, 03:09 PM

Boley and Kiwi are good LBs. Williams had a really good rookie year and will continue to improve, as will the other rookies. LB has more potential to improve without adding new players than any other position. still need to add another LB,anyone who thinks differntly is in denial....would anyone feel comfortable with paysinger/Jones/sintim as starters in case of injuries?

NYG4ME
03-06-2012, 03:15 PM
Doesn't surprise me. Chase did an excellent job for us. He'll get paid by another team and deservedly so. Goff had a great 2010 campaign for us. When healthy he can play. We still need to add another LBer though.

ShockeyShow
03-06-2012, 03:21 PM

Boley and Kiwi are good LBs. Williams had a really good rookie year and will continue to improve, as will the other rookies. LB has more potential to improve without adding new players than any other position. still need to add another LB,anyone who thinks differntly is in denial....would anyone feel comfortable with paysinger/Jones/sintim as starters in case of injuries?

Greg Jones? Yes, absolutely. He's been with our organization ONE year and you're ready to cut the guy.

Thank God you're not our GM

ShockeyShow
03-06-2012, 03:24 PM

I agree with you on this though...actually only at MLB...but i also ask you this. Is the fact that we are pretty outstanding at every other position on D, diminishing our view on our Mike? It's one of the toughest position to play, especiallly in the NFL. Goff has shown some pretty decent stuff thus far in his career

TroyArcher
03-06-2012, 03:25 PM
Tyree was good on special team but never more than a fifth receiver. Blackburn is a solid backup at LB and filled the role very well when needed. I hope Goff comes back healthy and can progress.

myles2424
03-06-2012, 03:27 PM

Greg Jones? Yes, absolutely. He's been with our organization ONE year and you're ready to cut the guy.

Thank God you're not our GM who said anything about cutting the guy? all I'm saying is you should always create competition at every position & best man wins....instead of having a guy on the roster for 3+ years hoping they turn into something special (Wilkinson,moss) and now Barden,beckum,sintim... some of you guys have %100 of your opinion based on preseason games....thank god your not the GM....

ShockeyShow
03-06-2012, 03:39 PM
You're basing your opinion off our stellar playoff run, with the best DLine in the league and a better than good secondary, giving our LB's so much cushion, they could've made plays with a piano on their back!

I know that we have someone better than Chase as a backup in Jones, and can prob draft or acquire someone better than both.

Clearly JR feels the same way

jhamburg
03-06-2012, 03:42 PM

You guys have to start thinking of Nickel as our base D, because that's what we're going to be seeing the most of. The way I see it, I expect to have 3-4 solid LBs next year for a position where we usually have 2 guys on the field.

Think about DB on the other hand. We usually have 5 out, Webster is on the wrong side of 30, Ross is probably gone, Prince was nothing special last year, TT is coming back from 2 ACLs,, Rolle is always a possible cut with his salary any of these years, KP has a bum knee, Grant is at the end of his career, we know little of Sash's ability and Martin and Blackmon are nobodies.

bashful
03-06-2012, 03:51 PM

\
Really I am glad you don't coach --ooh you couldn't with a statement like that

JJC7301
03-06-2012, 10:41 PM

Goff is better than Wilkerson ever was, but yeah I agree -- Blackburn is better.

I'm not trying to make Chase out to be be a stud LB, but he showed more in the last 7 games of this season than Goff ever showed.

C1010
03-07-2012, 12:44 AM
i was really hoping we could bring him back, probably letting go of him once again. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1092957-the-new-york-giants-will-retain-jonathan-goff-over-chase-blackburn I don't understand this. Goff is terrible. Blackburn was a major reason we won the Superbowl. Goff is another Gerris Wilkerson. Goff had the second most stops for a loss in 2010 on the Giants and was in the top 5 in the league that year in that regard. Chase Blackburn is going to be a fan favorite but he isn't remotely as good as Goff is as a starting LBer (injury aside). Tyree was a major reason we won the Super Bowl in 2007 ... you didn't see him back the following year either did you?</p>

+1 </p>

You have to loveChase if you're a Giants fan, but Goff is the better player (assuming he is healthy of course)AND still has upside. </p>

x2

nycsportzfan
03-07-2012, 01:34 AM
i was really hoping we could bring him back, probably letting go of him once again. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1092957-the-new-york-giants-will-retain-jonathan-goff-over-chase-blackburn I don't understand this. Goff is terrible. Blackburn was a major reason we won the Superbowl. Goff is another Gerris Wilkerson. Goff is certainly not terrible, and in most eyes, was ready to really put his stamp on the defense this past yr before the injury... Hes a solid solid player...

baywest
03-07-2012, 02:07 AM
We need TE first round

RagTime Blue
03-07-2012, 04:00 AM
Goff is great against the run, and the Giants weren't very good in that regard in 2011.

BlueBlooded1979
03-07-2012, 05:42 AM
Both are adequate MLBs. Neither is that athletic but Chase seemed to fit better in Fewells system and is a ST guy.

Goff has missed 27 out of 64 regular season games with injuries. MLBs need to be made of tougher stuff. He isn't a long term answer.

I hope that Herz or Jones takes this job with a full offseason of work. That makes the Goff/Chase job a depth job. Chase can play MLB/SLB. Goff is MLB only

I would rather sign Chase than Goff. He won't be looking for big money and you know what you are getting. Decent, flexible and durable player with ST ability.

Blue daddy
03-07-2012, 06:33 AM
That's how you get repayed for coming off the couch and doing more than your share to win a superbowl. He was the best LB we had going down the streach and not to mention he's a good special team player. Chase has always been over looked by the Giant coaching staff.

GMENAGAIN
03-07-2012, 06:36 AM
That's how you get repayed for coming off the couch and doing more than your share to win a superbowl. He was the best LB we had going down the streach and not to mention he's a good special team player. Chase has always been over looked by the Giant coaching staff.</P>

Paying players basedonpast performance, rather than what you expect in the future, is the quickest way to destroy a franchise . . . . this is a business.</P>

Blue daddy
03-07-2012, 06:54 AM
That's how you get repayed for coming off the couch and doing more than your share to win a superbowl. He was the best LB we had going down the streach and not to mention he's a good special team player. Chase has always been over looked by the Giant coaching staff.</P>

Paying players based*on*past performance, rather than what you expect in the future, is the quickest way to destroy a franchise . . . . this is a business.</P>
I know but I just hate it certain situations.

netplus
03-07-2012, 03:49 PM
Blackburn is much better in pass defense than Goff. Blackburn was also decent against the run, with only 3 missed tackles in 9 games. I'll take that over Goff coming off an ACL tear.

JMFP2
03-07-2012, 06:24 PM
The difference on the defense was dramatic once they found an MLB that knew what the **** he was doing.</P>

Blackburn is smart, hustles, is only 28, and won't cost the farm to re-sign.</P>

Granted he doesn't have blazing speed....but he gets in theright spot, and takes the proper angle.</P>

Seriously, if they don't try to keep Blackburn, that's just a dumb move.</P>

JMFP2
03-07-2012, 06:29 PM
Blackburn is much better in pass defense than Goff. Blackburn was also decent against the run, with only 3 missed tackles in 9 games. I'll take that over Goff coming off an ACL tear.</P>

Agreed.</P>

Not to knock Goff....but he's done NOTHING.</P>

FIFTY6G-MAN
03-07-2012, 06:51 PM
That's how you get repayed for coming off the couch and doing more than your share to win a superbowl. He was the best LB we had going down the streach and not to mention he's a good special team player. Chase has always been over looked by the Giant coaching staff.This is a great post^. Chase came off the couch, IN SHAPE, remembered the calls, and made great plays the whole way. He wants to be a Giant, and I believe they should keep him and let Goff try and beat him for the position. Blackburn is an overall talent, Yes he is not L.T. but he is worth and earned a shot at the position for sure! I want him on our team.

FIFTY6G-MAN
03-07-2012, 06:55 PM

Paying players basedonpast performance, rather than what you expect in the future, is the quickest way to destroy a franchise . . . . this is a business.</P> I know but I just hate it certain situations.How can you pay a player on FUTURE performance???? Do you have a crystal ball? You pay them according to what they HAVE done and what you expect they CAN do. Past performance dictates future performance in most cases. At 28 Blackburn is a good thing for this team to lock up and build on. I like Goff but he is injury prone as his past performance clearly shows. He is the "china" in the shop with "bulls" everywhere!

RoanokeFan
03-07-2012, 08:23 PM

If Goff were terrible, he wouldn't be here. He is a very heads up player and called the defensive signals until he was injured. As much as I like Chase, and agree he made some terrific plays for us down the stretch, he's not starter. I do wish they'd let him compete through training camp though.

gmen46
03-07-2012, 09:25 PM

If Goff were terrible, he wouldn't be here.* He is a very heads up player and called the defensive signals until he was injured.* As much as I like Chase, and agree he made some terrific plays for us down the stretch, he's not starter.* I do wish they'd let him compete through training camp though.

Well, I see no reason why they won't, unless another team offers a contract Chase can't refuse or offers him a starting position (unlikely), or both, and is waay over what Giants offer.

I mean, the thrust of this article is more to why Goff is more likely to be named as starter (health willing) rather than why Chase will "definitely" not be a Giant next year, right?

RoanokeFan
03-07-2012, 09:42 PM

If Goff were terrible, he wouldn't be here. He is a very heads up player and called the defensive signals until he was injured. As much as I like Chase, and agree he made some terrific plays for us down the stretch, he's not starter. I do wish they'd let him compete through training camp though.

Well, I see no reason why they won't, unless another team offers a contract Chase can't refuse or offers him a starting position (unlikely), or both, and is waay over what Giants offer.

I mean, the thrust of this article is more to why Goff is more likely to be named as starter (health willing) rather than why Chase will "definitely" not be a Giant next year, right?

He was the starter and signal caller when he was injured. Barring some surprise acquisition, he should return as the starter.

RoanokeFan
03-07-2012, 09:45 PM

A lot of fans say "the GIANTS didn't want Chase last season" when the reality is, and was first pointed out by slip, none of the 32 teams wanted Chase last year. I hope he catches on somewhere because he plays with a lot of heart and hustle.

n420p69
03-07-2012, 10:57 PM
I would like to see him back.

chuckedafter5yards
09-24-2013, 05:20 PM
This has been going on for a long time

Toadofsteel
09-24-2013, 05:30 PM
Nice thread necro bro...

joemorrisforprez
09-24-2013, 06:09 PM
The difference on the defense was dramatic once they found an MLB that knew what the **** he was doing.</P>

Blackburn is smart, hustles, is only 28, and won't cost the farm to re-sign.</P>

Granted he doesn't have blazing speed....but he gets in theright spot, and takes the proper angle.</P>

Seriously, if they don't try to keep Blackburn, that's just a dumb move.</P>

Sometimes I'm embarrassed by how right I can be.

Ladder27
09-24-2013, 06:16 PM
You all are slow look at the year that was printed up. on March 6, 2012.... Duh that was last years news......

Ladder27
09-24-2013, 06:19 PM
wait a min.... WTF who brought this tread back!

joemorrisforprez
09-24-2013, 06:24 PM
wait a min.... WTF who brought this tread back!

25 years from now, the message board will be this huge Star Trek hologram, but I will still be whining about the linebackers.