PDA

View Full Version : Oy Reese, start cutting anytime now.

Harooni
03-06-2012, 10:54 PM
Us fans are on board , cut half the oline ,cut canty , BJ and Rolle trade osi if you have to .

lets not be in cap hell for the next 4-5 years

im willing to take the cap penalties in 2012 to have a ton of room for 2013 and beyond.

We have till the 13th we have 20 FA's and rookies to sign.

chop chop

bigblue5611
03-06-2012, 10:59 PM
Us fans are on board , cut half the oline ,cut canty , BJ and Rolle trade osi if you have to .

im willing to take the cap penalties in 2012 to have a ton of room for 2013 and beyond.

chop chop

ya know he was just waitin for your green light harooni? ;)

Harooni
03-06-2012, 11:02 PM

chop chop

Maybe he was thinking the fans would be upset, but id be more upset to barely squeeze under like last season dont improve the D and then be in the same position next season.

Pakman
03-06-2012, 11:03 PM
Canty and Rolle? Two of the best players on defense?

Maybe we should cut JPP and Tuck too? That will get us under the cap easy.

slipknottin
03-06-2012, 11:05 PM
Id prefer to be up against the cap and continue winning SBs.

Toadofsteel
03-06-2012, 11:05 PM
Quick, we need Dave Brown as QB, Matt Dodge as P, and we need to pick Tiki back up pronto!

/red

Tuckit91
03-06-2012, 11:06 PM

I'm with you...

NY_Eli
03-06-2012, 11:08 PM
Breaking news: JR has cut *Harooni from the message boards

*edit- wrong thread starter

Harooni
03-06-2012, 11:08 PM

hmmm, its like buying a 72" 3d tv and maxing out your credit card to get it.

slipknottin
03-06-2012, 11:13 PM

Isnt the goal to win SBs? Why leave cap space, does having left over money win you more SBs?

gmen0820
03-06-2012, 11:16 PM

Mediocre analogy. If you win a SB, who cares how much cap you have?

A 3d TV is nice, but if you're gonna use a real life example, at least have a solid commonality. A 3d TV isn't the zenith of life like a SB is in the NFL. If you're religious, think of it as maxing out a credit card to go to heaven

Harooni
03-06-2012, 11:17 PM

Isnt the goal to win SBs? Why leave cap space, does having left over money win you more SBs?
yes we won a SB but how long do you think it will work like this? not adding quality FA depth and upgrades? plus we have 20fa's of our own.

better money management is what is needed.

the whole oline needs to be revamped!!

Harooni
03-06-2012, 11:19 PM

A 3d TV is nice, but if you're gonna use a real life example, at least have a solid commonality. A 3d TV isn't the zenith of life like a SB is in the NFL. If you're religious, think of it as maxing out a credit card to go to heaven

its paying it off later , thats the point missed. rolle due to take 9mill in cap space canty 6.

JJC7301
03-06-2012, 11:23 PM
+1. Why clear more cap space in drastic moves? So we can sign expensive FAs and get back to screwing up our cap again in a few years? No thanks.

Things are probably not going to have to be as drastic as most of us think. Some of these guys wouldn't be resigned to begin with, others will have their contracts reworked or cut, and some players will just not be able to be signed.

The o-line? I'm worried about it too, but most of the reworking of the line will come from within (Boothe, Petrus, Brewer) plus the draft. The FO waited too long to start retooling it -- they should have started two years ago instead of last year.

Expect to see a lot of returnees who will be inexpensive but recovering from major injuries i.e. TT, Goff, and maybe even SS.

slipknottin
03-06-2012, 11:23 PM
>yes we won a SB but how long do you think it will work like this? not adding quality FA depth and upgrades? plus we have 20fa's of our own.

GB hasent added a FA in like 4 seasons... theyre still pretty talented...

Notice most of the guys you are saying are overpaid? Those are those quality FAs

buddy33
03-06-2012, 11:24 PM
Kind of hard to understand what you are talking about after they just won the Super Bowl. Some cuts will be made because they have to. The team just won a Super Bowl. How much improvement do they need?

TheEnigma
03-06-2012, 11:24 PM
Show some balls by cutting Eli and starting the best QB who never came to be, David Carr. If you want to clear cap space and show how big your stick is, that's the move to make.

Harooni
03-06-2012, 11:26 PM
>yes we won a SB but how long do you think it will work like this? not adding quality FA depth and upgrades? plus we have 20fa's of our own.

Notice most of the guys you are saying are overpaid? Those are those quality FAs

GB's defense has sharply declined and prob to blame for GB not going all the way.

there is a time you just have to let them go.

JJC7301
03-06-2012, 11:29 PM

+1. Bingo! And lets remember -- we did not have cap problems, I believe, before the new collective bargaining agreement. Its the new agreement with the lower cap that put us in this position.

But hey -- we just won a SB. Lets enjoy things for a while and don't jump off the ledge just yet. Keep our home grown stars and future stars (i.e. JPP, Nicks, and Cruz) signed for the long term. Work on that and we'll be okay.

Harooni
03-06-2012, 11:31 PM
Kind of hard to understand what you are talking about after they just won the Super Bowl. Some cuts will be made because they have to. The team just won a Super Bowl. How much improvement do they need?
oh poor buddy, can you not see it? we have 20 fa's of our own. we are over the cap. oline is declining fast, snee is not the same. We need a true MLB .

wr i admit we are fine, hixon can step up . or we can get a youngster in the draft.

we need a TE or 2.

make the cuts now. lets not put this off another year.

slipknottin
03-06-2012, 11:33 PM
I think they just need a good draft.

Id hate to see them go into the offseason cutting some of their best players just so they can spend big on free agents.

Flip Empty
03-06-2012, 11:42 PM
Cut these people and replace them with who exactly? High-priced free agents?

Harooni
03-06-2012, 11:47 PM
no no no, we sign a few guys, maybe Landry ,plenty of safeties in Fa this year. and we draft a DT. Resign toffelson to replace osi.

draft another RB or sign one for a fair deal to spell BRADSHAW.

giantsfan420
03-07-2012, 12:05 AM

well done

slipknottin
03-07-2012, 12:06 AM
no no no, we sign a few guys, maybe Landry ,plenty of safeties in Fa this year. and we draft a DT.* Resign toffelson to replace osi.

draft another RB or sign one for a fair deal to spell BRADSHAW.

Thats your plan to win another SB? Replace Osi with Tollefson, and sign Laron Landry?

RoanokeFan
03-07-2012, 12:11 AM

chop chop

I'm waiting for the thread suggesting we bring back Smith, Boss, and Plaxico and release Nicks and Cruz.

ShakeNBake
03-07-2012, 12:33 AM

chop chop

Speak for yourself, and we all know who you would sign if BJ was cut, the 36 yr old with fresh legs

jhamburg
03-07-2012, 12:35 AM

chop chop

Yup, just won a super bowl time to clean house and rebuild.

WTF is this **** are you kidding me!?!?!

mainegiantsfan
03-07-2012, 12:52 AM
I agree that we should not make any drastic moves. If we had had our injured players last year, we would have been even better. I would stay away from any expensive free agent at any position. I'm content to go with what we have like GB has done.

foosball
03-07-2012, 07:49 AM
It's his job to do everything he can do to win this year, so he can't throw out this year to be competitive next year. That being said, he is clearly devising a plan to resign some talent in the next coming years. The Giants are going to be in cap #$%^ for awhile. It's the price of winning.

Look at the teams with tons of cap space and ask yourself, how many super bowls have these teams won recently?

Redeyejedi
03-07-2012, 08:36 AM

Notice most of the guys you are saying are overpaid? Those are those quality FAs the top 6 players on the team are all Giant Draft picks and Cruz. Its not even debatable. Plus U can restructure guys u dont need to cut them

blueomaha
03-07-2012, 08:47 AM
Id prefer to be up against the cap and continue winning SBs.ding ding...i like....

buddy33
03-07-2012, 09:01 AM
oh poor buddy, can you not see it?* we have 20 fa's of our own.* we are over the cap.* oline is declining fast, snee is not the same.** We need a true MLB .

wr i admit we are fine, hixon can step up . or we can get a youngster in the draft.

we need a TE or 2.

make the cuts now. lets not put this off another year.

How many of those FA's are guys that where picked up due to injuries and are gone because those injured guys will be healthy to start the season?

The OL did struggle, but they also had their starting LT out for half the season, Baas was new to the team and had injuries, and I feel Snee struggled because of Baas and KMac playing poorly. Reese has drafted OL's and they are still on the team and it could be their time to step up. Did you forget about Brewer? Maybe he is the new RT. If he can play well and Baas can stay healthy and play like the FA Reese signed maybe Snee will look that much better. I think Beatty will be an upgrade at LT. Then there is Boothe or Petrus. If Diehl wants to come back it should be for a lot less money.

They are going to save a lot of money when they part ways with Jacobs or he will have to test the market and may come back cheap.

As far as LB, they have won 2 Super Bowls in the last 4 years without the big name MLB FA or draft pick that everyone is always claiming the Giants need.

As far as TE, relax. Reese didn't panic last year and he will not this year either. I say he gets a FA and a draft pick to fill the position.

Why do you want to cut guys that just won the Super Bowl? Canty played very well. If the Giants can get TT back and possibly playing the slot, or anyone who can play the slot, then Rolle can play his Safety position the way he is supposed to.

Dirt66
03-07-2012, 09:10 AM
Breaking news: JR has cut *Harooni from the message boards

*edit- wrong thread starter ALL IN!!!

Mercury
03-07-2012, 09:19 AM
No need to go to town with a machete. Let's cut a bit more sparingly.

Canty and Rolle were important to our team's SB victory. I don't want either to go. Yes, they can have their contracts restructured to make a significant CAP savings.

Osi is not too expensive for what he provides to this team. He may be traded or his contract renegotiated. But I think he knows by now that he isn't going to get top ten dollars here or elsewhere.

BJ seems likely to be cut, unless he is willing to take a humble salary. I don't think that will happen.
And there are some guys like KMac and Deihl that may be cut too.

Reese will make the right moves and in good time. Just like he did franchising Weatherford. That was a smart move, my friend.

JimC
03-07-2012, 09:42 AM

chop chop

Maybe he was thinking the fans would be upset, but id be more upset to barely squeeze under like last season dont improve the D and then be in the same position next season.

Uhhhh I would LOVE to be in this position next season. <font color="#0000FF" size="4">SUPER BOWL CHAMPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!</font>

MattMeyerBud
03-07-2012, 09:54 AM

chop chop

Its posts like this that make me want to recant my metro sig

so u think its a better idea to have less talented players that just won a superbowl so that we can have more money to spend on overpriced free agents?

good call

TrueBlue@NYC
03-07-2012, 12:23 PM
Our cap space should primarily be used to resign our own core guys. As long as we have enough to do that and to sign our draft picks, I don't care who is out there in FA. </P>

Rolle's cap number is very high this year b/c we restructured him last year. There are other moves that make much more sense to create cap space (Jacobs, Diehl) before we start cutting two key starters on defense. Especially Rolle, who we have no replacement for and who played about 3 different positions on the defense for us. </P>

Besides, we just franchised our most important FA. </P>

</P>

G-Man67
03-07-2012, 02:15 PM
i trust jerry ! ... this is his regular season</P>

yatitle
03-07-2012, 02:23 PM

chop chop

Yeah because we all know last season ended up. When will the sef proclaimed internet GMs EVER learn.

hungrrrry
03-07-2012, 04:55 PM
Id prefer to be up against the cap and continue winning SBs.If these are our choices...I go with this one

bLuereverie
03-07-2012, 07:02 PM
I imagine there to be a cut that's deeper than expected, but really, we don't even know the cap yet.

NYGRealityCheck
03-07-2012, 07:20 PM
I have to agree with the majority sentiment here.

If it takes the team right down to the last penny against the salary cap to have the right players and team to repeat next season, then so be it.

Deal with next year's salary cap...next year...

Gmen2005
03-07-2012, 07:48 PM
Looks like McKenzie won't be back next year
<a href="http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/trueblue/mckenzie_told_to_go_shopping/">
http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/trueblue/mckenzie_told_to_go_shopping/</a>

bLuereverie
03-07-2012, 08:00 PM
Looks like McKenzie won't be back next year
<a href="http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/trueblue/mckenzie_told_to_go_shopping/">
http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/trueblue/mckenzie_told_to_go_shopping/</a>

That's not a cut though. That's a unanimous bon voyage.

Harooni
03-08-2012, 01:26 AM

chop chop

so u think its a better idea to have less talented players that just won a superbowl so that we can have more money to spend on overpriced free agents?

good call

many are confused , i dont want us to sign high priced FA's

many of u are on sb high. you cant see that we have a hard time keeping our own guys nd they feel insulted by our offers because we are trying to get under the cap.

the point is to cut guys that we are over paying and have room to breath,.

jhamburg
03-08-2012, 02:41 AM

chop chop

good call

many are confused , i dont want us to sign high priced FA's

many of u are on sb high. you cant see that we have a hard time keeping our own guys nd they feel insulted by our offers because we are trying to get under the cap.

the point is to cut guys that we are over paying and have room to breath,.

But we will take a cap hit on those guys, and we'll have to replace them with someone, if not high priced free agents then a guy making vet minimum or whatever.

Bottom line is you're asking to punt the 2012 season for the sake of 2013- which is insane, we just won the super bowl. Some cuts will need to be made but we're not going to clean house like you're suggesting.

Harooni
03-08-2012, 02:45 AM
we will still have our base. we simply need to shed bad contracts, best time is now fresh off a sb win.
not cleaning house just 5-7 guys with huge cap numbers.

NY_Eli
03-08-2012, 02:52 AM
we will still have our base. we simply need to shed bad contracts, best time is now fresh off a sb win.

I don't know....I feel like restructuring is the way to go if it can be done. Canty is only 29, and TC seems really high on Rolle. I wouldn't like to see either of these guys leave.

Harooni
03-08-2012, 02:59 AM

I don't know....I feel like restructuring is the way to go if it can be done. Canty is only 29, and TC seems really high on Rolle. I wouldn't like to see either of these guys leave.
restructuring was already done in rolles case once and canty it will only prolong it.

NY_Eli
03-08-2012, 03:01 AM

restructuring was already done in rolles case once and canty it will only prolong it.

What do you mean prolong it? Isn't that the point of restructuring?

I think when you have a franchise quarterback in his prime you need to make sure the team is ready to win the super bowl next year.

jhamburg
03-08-2012, 03:06 AM

You're talking about getting rid of starters at positions where we have no real depth at all. You're comfortable with Bernard as starting DT? And at safety we usually have 3 guys on the field, if we get rid of Rolle we'll be down to KP, Grant, Sash, and Martin, that's like 1 reliable guy for 3 positions...

We can look at FA sure, but we won't get anyone that great, we'll get a mediocre guy who will probably stink while he's learning the ins and outs of our defense.

Harooni
03-08-2012, 03:07 AM

I think when you have a franchise quarterback in his prime you need to make sure the team is ready to win the super bowl next year.

who says canty rolle BJ OSI DD are the our best chance to get back to a SB. what about the guys we will lose in FA?

just because we cut a few of these expesive cap guys doesnt mean we cant compete , and in 2013 we will be in great shape cap wise.

BlueBlooded1979
03-08-2012, 04:01 AM

who says canty rolle BJ OSI DD are the our best chance to get back to a SB. what about the guys we will lose in FA?

just because we cut a few of these expesive cap guys doesnt mean we cant compete , and in 2013 we will be in great shape cap wise.

Who are we going to lose in FA this year that is more valuable than Canty, Rolle, Osi and DD ?

The guys that are FA are either coming off of injury or non starters. Manningham hurts more than anyone else but he is #3 on the depth chart. A full offseason and draft should give us time to reload the depth chart for another run.

Dropping starters for young and cheap potential is a good way to become the 2011 Bucs. Crap record, college coach and ton of cap space.

NY_Eli
03-08-2012, 04:09 AM

I don't know... it's easy to say that in the offseason but when game 1 rolls around and you have question marks at key positions the FA cuts don't look so sexy.

giantsfan420
03-08-2012, 04:27 AM

well canty rolle and osi (osi is debatable) are part of our core group of players we relied heavily upon to win the SB. people credit Osi and Tuck a lot for the defensive turnaround on our run, but Canty was just as pivotal. If you look at Canty's stats from the Jets game on, he played amazing football. Safety vs the Jets, sack vs the cowboys, set up Boley for a sack vs GB, and several pressures the rest of the games during the stretch.

Rolle and Osi are self explanatory.

I'd rather restructure as in lowered salaries for BJ and DD as they are critical depth players for us.

Realistically, who could we get to replace these guys at the same or less value that would perform as well as them? you seem to not give enough understanding to the fact that the reason we're so close to the cap is bc we have a roster that is already built to be SB champions. Why cut those guys, only to restart the process again and hope the new roster would be good enough?

Realistically and honestly speaking, Eli is the reason we are Super Bowl champs for the most part. With him, it'd make no sense to try and restart the roster building process. Surround Eli with a competitive supporting cast and we're perennial SB contenders...you look at the cap issue as a negative, while I look at it meaning we're built to win right now. no point in wasting a season. When we need to re-sign Cruz and Nicks, if we can't due to cap room, that'd be the time to cut rolle or canty...not now. we'll be able to re-sign Cruz during this next season or offseason. Nicks may be tricky but thats a ways from now.

We only need to really address one wr needed, and two te's needed...the rest of the roster is set with our own FA's or guys we have signed already. We're in an amazing period for Giants football

bLuereverie
03-08-2012, 07:39 AM
Harooni isn't completely off base here. Maybe premature and a bit overzealous, sure.

On the other end, simply saying restructuring is the way to go and will alleviate problems is naive. You can only clear so much room without cuts that would hurt.

Financial management should have some foresight into future years. However, the problem is we don't even know what the cap will look like this year let alone future years where it is expected to really balloon. So you can't use the term cap hell either.

I'm not saying cut Canty, but here is a what-if game of a cut vs. restructure scenario as an example

Some rough numbers:
Chris Canty's current contract looks like this
2012 6mil in base, 1.76mil in misc. bonuses, 7.67mil cap hit
2013 6.25mil base, 1.76 misc bonuses, 7.96mil cap hit
2014 6.5mil base, 1.76 misc. bonuses, 8.16mil cap hit

Cutting/Trading him now would create a dent of 4.25mil in dead money. So after eliminating his base, you gain maybe less than 2mil in cap relief for this year. But you save roughly 7.9mil and 8.1mil in the following seasons respectively. That's a whole draft AND 3-4 minor signings.
-
On the other end, let's say you take the base of 2012, and restructure it into a 2012 signing bonus of 5.1 mil prorated over the next three years.Giants will save 3.6mil this year. Great.

But his cap next year goes from 7.9mil to 9.67 mil and the following year goes from 8.16mil to 9.8mil.
Ok, so let's just cut him then. The new dead total amount is 6.2mil+. That is the same amount as his base, so you gain no cap relief at all in that year. So you essentially have to clear room just to be sustain the dead money hit as if you're signing a guy who will never play for a year.

This should also show some insight as to why Rolle won't be cut this year, and won't restructure again unless it's a genuine money dump on his part.

NY_Eli
03-08-2012, 09:25 AM
Harooni isn't completely off base here. Maybe premature and a bit overzealous, sure.

On the other end, simply saying restructuring is the way to go and will alleviate problems is naive. You can only clear so much room without cuts that would hurt.

Financial management should have some foresight into future years. However, the problem is we don't even know what the cap will look like this year let alone future years where it is expected to really balloon. So you can't use the term cap hell either.

I'm not saying cut Canty, but here is a what-if game of a cut vs. restructure scenario as an example

Some rough numbers:
Chris Canty's current contract looks like this
2012 6mil in base, 1.76mil in misc. bonuses, 7.67mil cap hit
2013 6.25mil base, 1.76 misc bonuses, 7.96mil cap hit
2014 6.5mil base, 1.76 misc. bonuses, 8.16mil cap hit

Cutting/Trading him now would create a dent of 4.25mil in dead money. So after eliminating his base, you gain maybe less than 2mil in cap relief for this year. But you save roughly 7.9mil and 8.1mil in the following seasons respectively. That's a whole draft AND 3-4 minor signings.
-
On the other end, let's say you take the base of 2012, and restructure it into a 2012 signing bonus of 5.1 mil prorated over the next three years.Giants will save 3.6mil this year. Great.

But his cap next year goes from 7.9mil to 9.67 mil and the following year goes from 8.16mil to 9.8mil.
Ok, so let's just cut him then. The new dead total amount is 6.2mil+. That is the same amount as his base, so you gain no cap relief at all in that year. So you essentially have to clear room just to be sustain the dead money hit as if you're signing a guy who will never play for a year.

This should also show some insight as to why Rolle won't be cut this year, and won't restructure again unless it's a genuine money dump on his part.

Pretty comprehensive explanation [Y]

nycsportzfan
03-08-2012, 10:06 AM

chop chop
I get what your saying.. your saying do these things a yr early, instead of waiting a yr to late.. Alot of casual fans don't understand this way of thinking, and can only think back to the Playoff ride.. They forget how close we were to not even making the Playoffs all together... Osi being out with Injury for more then half the yr yet again, and our defense looking like swiss cheese more often then not for most of the regular season... </P>

I don't think u gotta go to drastic, but i agree u gotta look at the whole picture, and not just the Final outcome.. For most of the season, the Giants were pretty medicore, and once finally in the postseason, they got hot..I'd trade OSI for sure, because the guy missed most of the yr yet again this past season, and is another yr older, and were lucky hes got his Trade value back to begin with.. It helps u for the future becuase your getting some picks and with more picks, u can package picks and move up and what not, while still having picks and not having to forefit most your draft for one move up...</P>

Kruunch
03-08-2012, 10:10 AM

chop chop

How much money do we save if we cut you? http://boards.giants.com/emoticons/emotion-2.gif

shocknaweny
03-08-2012, 10:13 AM
gunna have to give a " Big fat NO " to cutting Canty and Antrel Rolle there Harooni.....they were only 2 of our BEST defenders last season....cut Jacobs, Diehl, Snee?? let McKenzie, Ross, Manningham , Goff, maybe even Terrell Thomas walk.

radar-ray
03-08-2012, 03:00 PM
Id prefer to be up against the cap and continue winning SBs.This!

Giants Of New Jersey
03-08-2012, 03:02 PM

yes we won a SB but how long do you think it will work like this? not adding quality FA depth and upgrades? plus we have 20fa's of our own.

continuity > nice names on paper free agents... ask the eagles