PDA

View Full Version : How will Eli's Giants career end?

jppmvp90
03-07-2012, 10:18 AM
seeing how his brothers end this way with the colts, i wonder how Eli's will end here. my guess is he wins his 5th lombardi and goes out on top in year 2020. thoughts?

ralphpal
03-07-2012, 10:19 AM
As you see with his brother you never know but God willing your right .

Toadofsteel
03-07-2012, 10:23 AM
Peyton is a glass cannon. Eli is made of freaking Teflon...

MattMeyerBud
03-07-2012, 10:26 AM
seeing how his brothers end this way with the colts, i wonder how Eli's will end here. my guess is he wins his 5th lombardi and goes out on top in year 2020. thoughts?

not only did Peyton leave the colts, but archie left the saints, farve left the pack,nameth left the jets, and montana left the 9ers

no guarantees in this life

TheEnigma
03-07-2012, 10:32 AM
Way too early to tell. I mean Eli could be the hottest QB one minute and then suffer a season ending injury the next. What if we have a young QB on the roster and he ends up leading the Giants deep into the playoffs? You know it's going to have Couglin and Reese thinking.

I think the biggest factors will be how this FO addresses the O-line for the next few years (can't have another season like this with the pass protection) and how much Eli still loves to play when it comes around to that time. It might be best for us to move on but Eli could still want to play.

I could see him playing somewhere else for maybe a year or two and then he'll hang it up but he'll always be a Giant.

jppmvp90
03-07-2012, 10:34 AM
Way too early to tell. I mean Eli could be the hottest QB one minute and then suffer a season ending injury the next. What if we have a young QB on the roster and he ends up leading the Giants deep into the playoffs? You know it's going to have Couglin and Reese thinking.

I think the biggest factors will be how this FO addresses the O-line for the next few years (can't have another season like this with the pass protection) and how much Eli still loves to play when it comes around to that time. It might be best for us to move on but Eli could still want to play.

I could see him playing somewhere else for maybe a year or two and then he'll hang it up but he'll always be a Giant.

you think coughlin will be around when eli's career is over?

TuckYou
03-07-2012, 10:39 AM
</P>

So, you are saying 3 more Championships in the next 7 seasons? If so, he is the greatest QB ever. </P>

Here is another thought, When is it time for the Giants to start thinking about getting Eli's successor? If the Giants lose Eli to an injury, there is no doubt that this team would fall just like the Colts without a reliable backup. Eli is now 31 and taking a ton of hits. Yeah he is the Ironman at QB right now, and probably is the toughest QB standing in the pocket I have ever seen, but sooner or later father time gets us all. So when do we get the next franchise QB to learn for a year or 2 under Eli's tutelage?</P>

ShockeyShow
03-07-2012, 11:01 AM

not only did Peyton leave the colts, but archie left the saints, farve left the pack,nameth left the jets, and montana left the 9ers

no guarantees in this life

Carson Palmer left the Bengals!

/red

TrueBlue@NYC
03-07-2012, 11:02 AM
</P>

So, you are saying 3 more Championships in the next 7 seasons? If so, he is the greatest QB ever. </P>

Here is another thought, When is it time for the Giants to start thinking about getting Eli's successor? If the Giants lose Eli to an injury, there is no doubt that this team would fall just like the Colts without a reliable backup. Eli is now 31 and taking a ton of hits. Yeah he is the Ironman at QB right now, and probably is the toughest QB standing in the pocket I have ever seen, but sooner or later father time gets us all. So when do we get the next franchise QB to learn for a year or 2 under Eli's tutelage?</P>

</P>

Probably not for a couple of more years at least. At 31 Eli is in the ripe years for a QB and will likely be at his peak for about 4 years. Once he hits 35 (and depending on the state of the team and his play/health) it's about time to start thinking about a successor. Otherwise, keep bakcing him up with reliable vets and draft prospect QBs' late to possibly use as trade bait later on. </P>

SweetZombieJesus
03-07-2012, 11:08 AM
Hard to think of the last lifer who ended his career with his team. Aikman? Marino? Young?

repeatchamps
03-07-2012, 11:43 AM
Hard to think of the last lifer who ended his career with his team. Aikman? Marino? Young?
</P>

Young was with Tampa before he was with SF sohe doesn't qualify. I believe Aikman was the last one. Before that it was Marino, Elwayand then Simms.</P>

TuckYou
03-07-2012, 11:56 AM
</P>

Young was with Tampa before he was with SF sohe doesn't qualify. I believe Aikman was the last one. Before that it was Marino, Elwayand then Simms.</P>

</P>

Elway was drafted by the Baltimore Colts (and Yankees!)... Eli was drafted by the Chargers. Not sure they count. I think a life time franchise QB needs to be one drafted by that team, although, essentially Eli was drafted by the Giants, just after the Chargers drafted him. The picks we gave up were basically the value for that 1st pick. Elway wasnt traded right way like Eli was.</P>

BlueReign
03-07-2012, 11:57 AM

Would Eli be able to be considered a lifer considering his 20 minute career in SD?

jhamburg
03-07-2012, 11:59 AM
Hard to think of the last lifer who ended his career with his team.* Aikman?* Marino?* Young?

Would Eli be able to be considered a lifer considering his 20 minute career in SD?

He was never under contract or on the roster. They just had "rights" to him.

repeatchamps
03-07-2012, 12:06 PM
</P>

</P>

Elway was drafted by the Baltimore Colts (and Yankees!)... Eli was drafted by the Chargers. Not sure they count. I think a life time franchise QB needs to be one drafted by that team, although, essentially Eli was drafted by the Giants, just after the Chargers drafted him. The picks we gave up were basically the value for that 1st pick. Elway wasnt traded right way like Eli was.</P>

</P>

I guess you can look at it like that butI think playing for one team's uniform for an entire careeris sufficient enough.</P>

repeatchamps
03-07-2012, 12:08 PM

He was never under contract or on the roster. They just had "rights" to him.</P>

Agreed. Eli if he retires as a Giant (sure hope so!) and Elway count in my opinion.</P>

TheEnigma
03-07-2012, 12:09 PM
The fate of Eli's career rests into the hands of how the Giants handle the future of the coaching staff as well. Let's say that Eli does play for another 7-10 years or so. Do you realistically think Coughlin will be around the entire time?

Eventually, I'd imagine that a new Head Coach is announced but then you have to ask yourself: Will the coach already be on the current staff or will they look outside of the franchise?

If a new coach comes in, you have to imagine he is going to want his own guy with Eli or without him depending on how far along we are at this point. So I think the most realistic path we take is the Aaron Rodgers route. We'll probably take a late 1st round or early 2nd QB and have him hold the clipboard for a couple years.

Though I think the way things are going so far, Reese is going to be here for many years after the Eli and Coughlin era.

THE_New_York_Giants
03-07-2012, 12:13 PM
Hard to think of the last lifer who ended his career with his team.* Aikman?* Marino?* Young?
Elway

THE_New_York_Giants
03-07-2012, 12:15 PM
hopefully the same way Elway's ended.

repeatchamps
03-07-2012, 12:24 PM
Elway</P>

See earlier replies. It actually is Aikman, Marino, Elway, Simms. They were last four to be lifers.</P>

slipknottin
03-07-2012, 12:31 PM
hopefully with one of the best ever QB prospects falling into our laps.

TuckYou
03-07-2012, 12:43 PM
Well, I think Eli makes about 17M in the last year of his contract, and counts about 21M against the cap. With numbers like that, if Eli doesnt win anymore SBs and struggles like he didin 2010 the next couple of years, could Eli get cut if a suitable QB falls in our lap in the draft? It doesnt seem like the Giants way, but it is a business.

Roosevelt
03-07-2012, 01:18 PM
If Eli doesn't retire as a Giant I can tell you how shouldn't end. It shouldn't end the way the Giants ended Phil Simms' career. It should be done the way the Colts and Peyton just did it. With total class.

yatitle
03-07-2012, 01:21 PM
It will end with fans on this board saying we would have been better off with Ben or Rivers. Why change anything? 2, 3, 4 rings someone is still going to beleive we would have won more with one of those 2 guys.

repeatchamps
03-07-2012, 01:24 PM
Elway</P>

See earlier replies. It actually is Aikman, Marino, Elway, Simms. They were last four to be lifers.</P>

</P>

I have to add Jim Kelly into this mix. It actually was in this order:</P>

Aikman</P>

Marino</P>

Elway</P>

Kelly</P>

Simms</P>

My apologies. </P>

For good measure and a good trivia question. The guy before Simms...Timm Rosenbach for the Cardinals but he only played 3 seasons.</P>

buffyblue
03-07-2012, 01:29 PM
Well, I think Eli makes about 17M in the last year of his contract, and counts about 21M against the cap. With numbers like that, if Eli doesnt win anymore SBs and struggles like he did**in 2010 the next couple of years, could Eli get cut if a suitable QB falls in our lap in the draft? It doesnt seem like the Giants way, but it is a business.

If Eli Manning puts up the numbers he did in 2010 there will be no reason to think he is leaving. He had alot of picks but over 4,0000 and over 30 TDs.

I don’t really know what folks expect out of a QB. I constantly hear people saying “Eli Manning has finally lived up to expectations this year.” He has always lived up to and exceeded expectations. He is one of the top four QBs in NFL. You have Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady and Eli Manning, that is the top tier. If Eli Manning’s number “dip” to what they were in 2010 then we still have a top 8 QB and there is no way NY Giants ever look to release him then. Realize how lucky we are to have Eli Manning as QB. I doubt we will eve rhave another as good as him.

I predict Eli Manning will play another 4-6 years and will probably win another SuperBowl Championship. He will retire as a NY Giant.

Tony Bruno
03-07-2012, 04:02 PM
Not really trying to vision or picture that right now...

TheBookOfEli
03-07-2012, 04:20 PM
This is kind of a silly question. I don't even want to think about Eli and the end just yet.

GameTime
03-07-2012, 08:03 PM
Peyton is a glass cannon. Eli is made of freaking Teflon...

WTF does that even mean????

nygfanmaybe
03-08-2012, 08:29 AM
If I have to guess, I would think that he will not play for another team. When his time is up in NY, I think he will realize it and will retire and move on to the next phase of his life.

If I had to guess what that next phase would be, I would guess that since he is already involved in the Manning Academy and resides in Oxford, MS, he may end up on the Ole Miss coaching staff someday and maybe even become head coach there.

gumby742
03-08-2012, 03:10 PM
hopefully with one of the best ever QB prospects falling into our laps.

I like it.

nygsb42champs
03-08-2012, 03:54 PM
That is some prediction. Lets take it 1 year at a time.

gmen46
03-08-2012, 06:32 PM

Unfortunately for Peyton, his experience this past year show how unpredictable real life can be.

Is there truly any question in anyone's mind that had Peyton been able to play this past season that--regardless of the Colts's 2011 record-- he would have finished his career with the Colts?

He had just signed what in both the Colts and in Peyton's mind was his final contract, for all intents and purposes.

What Peyton was a "victim" of this past week was a result of the Perfect Storm--career-threatening injury, the Colts stumbling to the worst record of 2011, and the draft-availability of one of those "once-in-generation" QBs in Andrew Luck.

All of those factors HAD to conflate in order for Peyton to be cut by the Colts. If ANY of those factors had not been in play, Peyton would still be a Colt, I'm certain of it.

Similarly, I am confident Eli will retire as a Giant UNLESS a very similar combination of factors come about. It will take that rare set of circumstances to change it.

The proof of that pudding will be revealed, of course, after the 2015 season, when his current contract expires. That will be the ultimate test of Eli's--and Giants'FO--commitment to finishing as a Giant.

I do think that the rather ignoble career endings of Unitas, Namath, Favre, and even Montana (who, unlike the other three, had a proven pro bowl quality QB on the bench pushing him out, at least) will be in Eli's mind when he considers that last contract.

And don't think the fate of Peyton over the next 2-3 years won't be the most significant decision-making factor in considering one more Giants contract.

As for the "5th Lombardi" comment. There are many, many strong reasons why no QB EVER has won 5 Super Bowls. Too many hurdles come into play, every single season, to prevent that from happening.

The only 2 to have come close were Terry Bradshaw and Joe Montana, and THEY won 4 in the pre Free Agency era--one of the greatest hurdles to winning multiple Lombardi trophies of today.

Ask Tom Brady how nearly impossible it is to win 4, let alone 5, Lombardi's.

However, I would not be the least surprised to witness Eli hoisting 1 more before he retires. MAYBE 2 more, but that is really stretching the fantasy balloon to its bursting point.

And wouldn't that be grand?

ghwriter1976
03-09-2012, 10:34 AM
"Ask Tom Brady how nearly impossible it is to win 4, let alone 5, Lombardi's."

Gotta feel for Tom. Any other opponent in his last 2 Super Bowls and in the 2006 AFC title game and he likely would have six Lombardi's to his name. But the Manning brothers had to torpedo that...

I also would not be surprised to see Eli winning at least one more for us before retiring. Hopefully the 2012 season will start off the same way 2008 did, only with a different, much happier ending.