PDA

View Full Version : Who are your Top 3 FA (at the need positions) for the Gmen?

Bohemian
03-07-2012, 02:26 PM
Considering the good balance and leadership present, the Giants are very fortunate to only need veteran help at the OL, WR, TE and MLB positions.

I think that this year's TE FA class is absolutely horrible, and none of them worth top market value. So I would leave it for the draft to address that need.

At MLB: I would like to see the team draft a player in the first day, but I would also sign one of the following: Tullock, McClain or Hawthorne.

At TE, the situation is not good. I would take a healthy Ballard over all of the other FAs. And drafting at the 32 spot, it looks like trading for one may not be a bad idea. A trade is always unlikely in the NFL, so I will have to say that I would like a TE for the first day of the draft. But if we were to bring a FA to replace Beckum, then I would like to see us bring one of: Carlson, Shiancoe, Bennett.

At WR, the need to replace Manningham with a more powerful individual is tempting, and if the team was to consider bringing him back for a much higher price, they may as well sign someone who is worth such amount of money. I like any of: Jackson, Lloyd, Colston, but Garcon is also an intriguing choice.

Lastly, at OL, I am for getting that RT who will make me forget of McKenzie. I liked the young McKenzie, but the old man really became a liability. I think that an early draft pick, or a trade would be great to fill the position, but when it comes to the FA market, it looks like the only OT that catches my eye is Gaither from the Chargers. But if we were to sign a guard, I would like to see any of: Nicks, Grubbs or Mathis.

Anyhow, there is a bit of food for thought. What do you think?

THE_New_York_Giants
03-07-2012, 02:27 PM
Considering the good balance and leadership present, the Giants are very fortunate to only need veteran help at the OL, WR, TE and MLB positions.

I think that this year's TE FA class is absolutely horrible, and none of them worth top market value. So I would leave it for the draft to address that need.

At MLB: I would like to see the team draft a player in the first day, but I would also sign one of the following: Tullock, McClain or Hawthorne.

At TE, the situation is not good.* I would take a healthy Ballard over all of the other FAs.* And drafting at the 32 spot, it looks like trading for one may not be a bad idea.* A trade is always unlikely in the NFL, so I will have to say that I would like a TE for the first day of the draft.* But if we were to bring a FA to replace Beckum, then I would like to see us bring one of: Carlson, Shiancoe, Bennett.

At WR, the need to replace Manningham with a more powerful individual is tempting, and if the team was to consider bringing him back for a much higher price, they may as well sign someone who is worth such amount of money.* I like any of: Jackson, Lloyd, Colston, but Garcon is also an intriguing choice.

Lastly, at OL, I am for getting that RT who will make me forget of McKenzie.* I liked the young McKenzie, but the old man really became a liability.* I think that an early draft pick, or a trade would be great to fill the position, but when it comes to the FA market, it looks like the only OT that catches my eye is Gaither from the Chargers.* But if we were to sign a guard, I would like to see any of: Nicks, Grubbs or Mathis.

Anyhow, there is a bit of food for thought.* What do you think?

Can't afford anyone that you mentioned.

nygfan0816
03-07-2012, 02:30 PM
joel dressen is th eonly TE that big blue should have interest in.

also look at some OL. other then that focus on the draft.

egyptian420
03-07-2012, 02:42 PM
The better question would be who are the top 3 FA we will lose

Redeyejedi
03-07-2012, 02:46 PM
It doesnt matter because we cant afford them but Carl Nicks and Ben Grubbs are at the top of the list.Saints better hold onto Nicks,Being a shorter QB I think he benefits very much from having the best guard tandem in the NFL.They keep his throwing lanes clean

alau53
03-07-2012, 03:29 PM
how about the backup dalls TE bennett..good potential and not too expensive..do you think mckenzie mite go back to the jets for their RT

TheEnigma
03-07-2012, 03:34 PM
To be fair, the TE's listed are not "breaking the bank" type of acquisitions.

Guys like Carl Nicks, Mario Williams, and Vincent Jackson are.

THE_New_York_Giants
03-07-2012, 03:37 PM
To be fair, the TE's listed are not "breaking the bank" type of acquisitions.

Guys like Carl Nicks, Mario Williams, and Vincent Jackson are.
i wouldn't mind bennett or Shiancoe.

giantsfan420
03-07-2012, 03:37 PM
wr-smith or plax...prefer smith. most cost effecient, knows the offense, succeeded at the highest levels in this offense, was brilliant with eli.

te-draft fleener, sign bennet

db-keep it in house, resign t2, draft a corner where its bpa

ol-keep it in house, we have the lineup already on contract.
beatty boothe bass snee brewer....backups petrus other couple guys and add one thru draft

realistically, i only think we need to add a wr, smith, and a te, fleener/bennett.

we got the rest on roster or our own FA's to sign. dont need to go thru other teams FA's

TheEnigma
03-07-2012, 03:46 PM
I personally would prefer Shiancoe or Dreessen over Bennet myself since he seems to have motivation issues and hasn't really reached his potential because of that. If we were to pick up a FA TE, I'd want someone solid instead.

As for the draft, there's many options we could go ala Fleener, Allen, or someone else but I think Ladarius Thomas could be a Reese type of pick due to his huge upside and physical abilities.

MattMeyerBud
03-07-2012, 03:47 PM

At TE, the situation is not good. I would take a healthy Ballard over all of the other FAs. And drafting at the 32 spot, it looks like trading for one may not be a bad idea. A trade is always unlikely in the NFL, so I will have to say that I would like a TE for the first day of the draft. But if we were to bring a FA to replace Beckum, then I would like to see us bring one of: Carlson, Shiancoe, Bennett.

At WR, the need to replace Manningham with a more powerful individual is tempting, and if the team was to consider bringing him back for a much higher price, they may as well sign someone who is worth such amount of money. I like any of: Jackson, Lloyd, Colston, but Garcon is also an intriguing choice.

Lastly, at OL, I am for getting that RT who will make me forget of McKenzie. I liked the young McKenzie, but the old man really became a liability. I think that an early draft pick, or a trade would be great to fill the position, but when it comes to the FA market, it looks like the only OT that catches my eye is Gaither from the Chargers. But if we were to sign a guard, I would like to see any of: Nicks, Grubbs or Mathis.

Anyhow, there is a bit of food for thought. What do you think?

I think you need to get a better grasp on the salary cap.

First off, the lack of big names at TE is PERFECT for what we need IMO. Theres about 5 guys that I wouldn't mind bringing in because they are effective players that won't cost alot: Thamme, Chandler, Carlson, Shiancoe, and Bennett

I'd be happy with resigning Goff.

We don't have any money for pretty much every guy u listed. I would be fine with a low end signing like Steve Smith or Plax. Wouldn't even really mind just resigning Devin Thomas and going with him, Hixon, Jernigan, and Barden.

Hopfully there is some talent and value picks for us at Tackle.

EDIT: forgot about Dressan

Bohemian
03-08-2012, 01:02 PM
I certainly hope that we can bring in some meaningful talent to keep the momentum that we have build up. I think that the team can get much better, specially when you think of all the adjustments that the team had to make after all the injuries early on last year.

I would be happy if we secured the OLine and TE postions, as it seems that we do have some young talent that could prove themselves as significant contributors.

Morehead State
03-08-2012, 01:53 PM
I wouldn't mind Shiancoe and Tolbert. Both would really help our offense.

MattMeyerBud
03-08-2012, 01:55 PM

i dont think there is a shot in hell we go RB in FA

I think thats up there with defensive end and quarterback

Morehead State
03-08-2012, 02:07 PM

</P>

I don't know Matt, if aTolbert sits unsigned for a while, I think there's a shot. He's a perfect fit for us. He's a strong third down back with great pass catching skills. RB's just don't get the money anymore. Maybe he will, but he's not a starter. He might come a little cheaper than we think.</P>

But he could also go for more money too. I can't say. I'm just saying he would be a huge addition to the offense over DWare.</P>

myles2424
03-08-2012, 02:09 PM
I wouldn't mind Shiancoe and Tolbert.* Both would really help our offense.

</P>

I don't know Matt, if aTolbert sits unsigned for a while, I think there's a shot.* He's a perfect fit for us.* He's a strong third down back with great pass catching skills.* RB's just don't get the money anymore.* Maybe he will, but he's not a starter.* He might come a little cheaper than we think.</P>

But he could also go for more money too.* I can't say.* I'm just saying he would be a huge addition to the offense over DWare.</P> much rather spend the $$ elsewhere....some good RBs will out there 2nd-4th...

MattMeyerBud
03-08-2012, 02:15 PM

</p>

I don't know Matt, if aTolbert sits unsigned for a while, I think there's a shot. He's a perfect fit for us. He's a strong third down back with great pass catching skills. RB's just don't get the money anymore. Maybe he will, but he's not a starter. He might come a little cheaper than we think.</p>

But he could also go for more money too. I can't say. I'm just saying he would be a huge addition to the offense over DWare.</p>

i just don't see why anybody would think he would sit unsigned?

He is perfect for us, but theres no way with the cap hell we're in and the backs that we have that we would go sign somebody. Even if we lose jacobs, we kept Scott, keep bringing back Brown, and have stuck with Ware. Not to mention we still have Bradshaw., personally i'd rather give a shot to Hillis because hes probably going to be the one sitting and we may be able to get a good value on him.

And plus i'd trust Reese to handle it with the draft if he needs to. He has an eye for late talent

MattMeyerBud
03-08-2012, 02:15 PM

</p>

I don't know Matt, if aTolbert sits unsigned for a while, I think there's a shot. He's a perfect fit for us. He's a strong third down back with great pass catching skills. RB's just don't get the money anymore. Maybe he will, but he's not a starter. He might come a little cheaper than we think.</p>

But he could also go for more money too. I can't say. I'm just saying he would be a huge addition to the offense over DWare.</p> much rather spend the $$ elsewhere....some good RBs will out there 2nd-4th...

i would be VERY Surprised if we go with a RB with our second pick

MattMeyerBud
03-08-2012, 02:56 PM
<a class="account-group js-account-group js-action-profile js-user-profile-link" href="https://twitter.com/#%21/AdamSchefter" data-user-id="51263592">
<strong class="fullname js-action-profile-name">Adam Schefter[/b]
<span>?</span>
<span class="username js-action-profile-name"><s>@</s>AdamSchefter</span>
</a>
<ul class="actions js-actions"><li class="action-open-container">

<a class="with-icn js-open-close-tweet" href="https://twitter.com/#%21/AdamSchefter/status/177807122539626497">
<span class="close-tweet" title="Close Tweet"> Close</span>

</a>
[/list]

<p class="js-tweet-text">Bills announced that TE Scott Chandler has agreed to terms on a contract extension with the team.</p>
<div class="stream-item-footer">

<div class="context">
</div>
<a class="details with-icn js-details" href="https://twitter.com/#">
<span class="js-icon-container">
</span>

<span class="hide-open js-hide-details">

</span>

</a>
</div>
<div class="expanded-content js-tweet-details-dropdown"><div class="js-tweet-details-fixer">

:(

one down, 5 to go:

Shiancoe
Dressan
Thamme
Carlson
Bennett

</div></div>

giantsfan420
03-08-2012, 03:07 PM
I wouldn't mind Shiancoe and Tolbert.* Both would really help our offense.

</p>

I don't know Matt, if aTolbert sits unsigned for a while, I think there's a shot.* He's a perfect fit for us.* He's a strong third down back with great pass catching skills.* RB's just don't get the money anymore.* Maybe he will, but he's not a starter.* He might come a little cheaper than we think.</p>

But he could also go for more money too.* I can't say.* I'm just saying he would be a huge addition to the offense over DWare.</p> much rather spend the $$ elsewhere....some good RBs will out there 2nd-4th...

some of the most accurate draft analysts and the most accurate computer draft simulations have us taking the VT rb or the miami rb in round 2. its bpa, and it could easily be a rb in the 2nd. with the jacobs issue, i could easily see a rb being the pick in rounds 2-4

MattMeyerBud
03-08-2012, 03:58 PM

</p>

But he could also go for more money too. I can't say. I'm just saying he would be a huge addition to the offense over DWare.</p> much rather spend the $$ elsewhere....some good RBs will out there 2nd-4th...

some of the most accurate draft analysts and the most accurate computer draft simulations have us taking the VT rb or the miami rb in round 2. its bpa, and it could easily be a rb in the 2nd. with the jacobs issue, i could easily see a rb being the pick in rounds 2-4

same guys that had us taking Ingram last year?

or making a move for spiller the year before?

Morehead State
03-08-2012, 04:01 PM

</P>

I don't know Matt, if aTolbert sits unsigned for a while, I think there's a shot. He's a perfect fit for us. He's a strong third down back with great pass catching skills. RB's just don't get the money anymore. Maybe he will, but he's not a starter. He might come a little cheaper than we think.</P>

But he could also go for more money too. I can't say. I'm just saying he would be a huge addition to the offense over DWare.</P>

He is perfect for us, but theres no way with the cap hell we're in and the backs that we have that we would go sign somebody. Even if we lose jacobs, we kept Scott, keep bringing back Brown, and have stuck with Ware. Not to mention we still have Bradshaw., personally i'd rather give a shot to Hillis because hes probably going to be the one sitting and we may be able to get a good value on him.

And plus i'd trust Reese to handle it with the draft if he needs to. He has an eye for late talent
</P>

Here's the problem. It usually takes a year or so for a back to be able to function as a true 3rd down back. Specifically, being able to read and pick up blitzes.</P>

A vet like Tolbert could come right in and contribute.</P>

MattMeyerBud
03-08-2012, 04:16 PM

</p>

But he could also go for more money too. I can't say. I'm just saying he would be a huge addition to the offense over DWare.</p>

</p>

Here's the problem. It usually takes a year or so for a back to be able to function as a true 3rd down back. Specifically, being able to read and pick up blitzes.</p>

A vet like Tolbert could come right in and contribute.</p>

We have Ware to play that role.

But I think we're looking for more of a number two back

my point is this: Hillis and Tolbert are pretty much the same running back. i think anybody looking for a back like that is going to go for Tolbert first. Its going to cost money for him. Granted, not alot, maybe a 3mil average per year, but its just something we're not going to do.

RBs are a dime a dozen, I see us giving Scott and Brown a shot before we go dump money on a FA.