PDA

View Full Version : What is bugging me about Peyton Manning

hungrrrry
03-07-2012, 04:49 PM
This is a team releasing a player but ESPN and likely other sources are making sound like he died or retired!</P>

Peyton is one of my favorite players in the NFL, ever....regardless of my devotion to the Giants. It is hardly over....HARDLY...He will have many choices to make for the 2nd half of his career.</P>

I wish they wouldn't put such a funeral-like twist on this story, which as I said, happens all the time!</P>

</P>

Flip Empty
03-07-2012, 05:02 PM
Well it is a bit sad, I suppose - the coverage isn't surprising. It's the end of an era.
Peyton became one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time with the Colts, and seeing him in another jersey was unfathomable before last season. He was supposed to retire there.

And besides, with Tebowmania on hiatus, ESPN needs something to fill in the blanks.

TheEnigma
03-07-2012, 05:16 PM
I found that conference with Peyton and Irsay really hard to watch. You can tell how much that Peyton loves that organization and wishes that it wasn't over in Indianapolis.

The part I found intriguing and awesome on Irsay's part was that he admitted the current Colts team wasn't good enough for Peyton and that was a part of the reason he wanted to move on.

bLuereverie
03-07-2012, 08:26 PM
Legacies that extend far beyond the game and into the fabric of the cities in which they play in are tremendous in sports. Peyton was football in Indianapolis, a town which had no real pigskin history.

This notion is even rarer in an age of huge contracts and free agency moves. Just look how guys are jumping ship in the other major sports.

bELIeve_in_Giants
03-07-2012, 10:50 PM
I blubbered through the entire press conference. That was on the gut wrenching side to watch. Man, he handled it with grace though. I've not seen that kind of class from anyone else choosing to leave or being asked to leave before they were ready for retirement.

RoanokeFan
03-07-2012, 10:52 PM
I blubbered through the entire press conference. That was on the gut wrenching side to watch. Man, he handled it with grace though. I've not seen that kind of class from anyone else choosing to leave or being asked to leave before they were ready for retirement.

I didn't think Irsay was going to be able to finish

bELIeve_in_Giants
03-07-2012, 11:11 PM
If you watched the Q&amp;A, Peyton gets most choked up when he mentions the equipment guys. Can't even get the words out.

blueomaha
03-07-2012, 11:58 PM
Peyton Manning = class personified...

giantyankee1976
03-08-2012, 12:00 AM
Irsay's a dumb nuts

Hope their boy Luck pans out, but somehow I see the Texans and Titans having a say on that.

Itlan
03-08-2012, 12:09 AM
You have to move on eventually, and what better time when you have the #1 draft pick and the best prospect possibly ever to come out of college?

Irsay isn't an idiot. He's a man who is able to separate business and friendship, and kudos to him.

You need to remain competitive in this league.

bronxvgiant
03-08-2012, 12:10 AM
Peyton is my favorite besides Eli too.He is a legend for what he does on the field as well as his persona off the field.I didnt like the way Indy handled it but it is a business.I hope he goes somewhere and really thrives.

egyptian420
03-08-2012, 01:16 AM
You have to move on eventually, and what better time when you have the #1 draft pick and the best prospect possibly ever to come out of college?

Irsay isn't an idiot. He's a man who is able to separate business and friendship, and kudos to him.

I agree that Irsay definitely made the right decision and didn't let feelings dictate business. However, he could've handled the situation after the season ended a lot better without all the talk to the media, the tweeting, and whatnot.

giantyankee1976
03-09-2012, 12:30 AM

I can see your point but Cam Newton and Andy Dalton, for examples, and even Eli and Joe Flacco are exceptions to the norm.

If I were him, I'd kept Peyton one more year with a restructured contract, incentive-laden; still drafting Luck as insurance or bargaining power.

If peyton panned out and Andy Luck shows promise, you just pulled a GB Packer-move.

Now, you've sent the definitive message that the Colts are entering Rebuilding Mode.

All my in-laws are Colts fans...while they are optimistic about Andy Luck, they are dealing with a New Era of Colts football with Unitas' progeny most-likely heading to warmer climes...

bronxvgiant
03-31-2012, 12:31 AM
I have watched Peyton since 98, and it was a sad day when he was released.I hope he kicks *** in Denver