PDA

View Full Version : Eli Checked to Different Plays on TD and 2 Pointer......

BlueJayC
12-06-2011, 01:59 PM
Not sure if this was posted somewhere else but I came across it in an ESPN article.......I hate ESPN but I tripped over this piece and found it interesting:</P>

<FONT color=#0000ff><U>ESPN ARTICLE</U>:</FONT></P>

<FONT color=#0000ff>Manning had a run called when he stepped to the line, when he realized the defense was daring him to throw to his most dangerous receiver guarded by a backup on the right hand side. </FONT></P>

<FONT color=#0000ff>Eli had called for the same fade route on an earlier touchdown pass to Nicks, who made a one-handed grab with a career first-stringer, Charles Woodson, strapped to his back. "Eli gives me a look," Nicks said, "and I can pretty much read his face. He trusts in me, and I trust in him. We're at the point now where I know when he's going to come to me."</FONT></P>

<FONT color=#0000ff>With Clay Matthews raging his way, Manning threw the required 2-yard pass to Nicks, spinning away from Matthews on delivery, and suddenly with 58 seconds left the Giants were two points short of sharing a 35-35 tie with the 11-0 defending champs. Of course Manning was charged to throw a pass on the conversion attempt; no offensive coordinator would risk his reputation, his job, on an all-or-nothing handoff to the middling likes of D.J. Ware.</FONT></P>

<FONT color=#0000ff>But the franchise player spotted something that benefited the franchise. Manning surveyed the Green Bay defense, raised his hands near the line of scrimmage, and started barking things in picture-Peyton form. As it turned out, Eli was making the gutsiest call of the season. "He checked to the perfect play," Ware said, "and we got in there."</FONT></P>

Gotta love that he's comfortable making those on field decisions with the game on the line......</P>

touchdown44
12-06-2011, 02:04 PM
wow sweet little article and good job by eli. thanks

smashndash715
12-06-2011, 02:05 PM
Not sure if this was posted somewhere else but I came across it in an ESPN article.......I hate ESPN but I tripped over this piece and found it interesting:</P>

<FONT color=#0000ff><U>ESPN ARTICLE</U>:</FONT></P>

<FONT color=#0000ff>Manning had a run called when he stepped to the line, when he realized the defense was daring him to throw to his most dangerous receiver guarded by a backup on the right hand side. </FONT></P>

<FONT color=#0000ff>Eli had called for the same fade route on an earlier touchdown pass to Nicks, who made a one-handed grab with a career first-stringer, Charles Woodson, strapped to his back. "Eli gives me a look," Nicks said, "and I can pretty much read his face. He trusts in me, and I trust in him. We're at the point now where I know when he's going to come to me."</FONT></P>

<FONT color=#0000ff>With Clay Matthews raging his way, Manning threw the required 2-yard pass to Nicks, spinning away from Matthews on delivery, and suddenly with 58 seconds left the Giants were two points short of sharing a 35-35 tie with the 11-0 defending champs. Of course Manning was charged to throw a pass on the conversion attempt; no offensive coordinator would risk his reputation, his job, on an all-or-nothing handoff to the middling likes of D.J. Ware.</FONT></P>

<FONT color=#0000ff>But the franchise player spotted something that benefited the franchise. Manning surveyed the Green Bay defense, raised his hands near the line of scrimmage, and started barking things in picture-Peyton form. As it turned out, Eli was making the gutsiest call of the season. "He checked to the perfect play," Ware said, "and we got in there."</FONT></P>

Gotta love that he's comfortable making those on field decisions with the game on the line......</P>

eli has become one of my favorite most trusted players..ive been hard on him thru the years but i know we always have a chance with number 10

NYG4lifeNYK
12-06-2011, 02:11 PM
Now if this doesn't erase any doubt that he should be allowed to run the offense like Peyton does with the Colts then I don't know what else to say.....

Marvelousmik
12-06-2011, 02:13 PM
Now if this doesn't erase any doubt that he should be allowed to run the offense like Peyton does with the Colts then I don't know what else to say.....

lol im with u on this one +1

Ruttiger711
12-06-2011, 02:16 PM
</P>

</P>

Im sure there's been instances where he's checked into the wrong play as well... but to do it correctly twice in that pressure situation is just flat out awesome. </P>

repeatchamps
12-06-2011, 02:16 PM
</P>

Yup, I've been saying the same thingsince day 1.</P>

jax5338
12-06-2011, 02:18 PM

+1

FlyingTruck
12-06-2011, 02:18 PM
Eli is a boss.

P.S. What is it with ESPN and the word "middling"?

Ruttiger711
12-06-2011, 02:21 PM
Eli is a boss. P.S. What is it with ESPN and the word "middling"?</P>

same word of the day calendar for xmas bonus's?</P>

touchdown44
12-06-2011, 02:21 PM
its real cool how eli gives nicks a look and he knows the ball is coming to him. chemistry is worth more than it gets credit

FlyingTruck
12-06-2011, 02:22 PM
Eli is a boss. P.S. What is it with ESPN and the word "middling"?</P>

same word of the day calendar for xmas bonus's?</P>Haha good one.

jhamburg
12-06-2011, 02:27 PM
its real cool how eli gives nicks a look and he knows the ball is coming to him. chemistry is worth more than it gets credit

Exactly, and Eli has chemistry with Nicks and Cruz and doesn't have it with Manningham. Which is why he shouldn't get a fat contract from us next year.

touchdown44
12-06-2011, 02:30 PM
i think hes got pretty good chemistry with manningham, you always see mario catching those back of the endzone fades and what not... hes great on the "toes in" catch

Gmen2005
12-06-2011, 02:43 PM
I seriously have a man crush on him.

hungrrrry
12-06-2011, 08:54 PM
It was easy to see...GB was expecting a pass and spread the defense out to play man....I was screaming at the TV to run the ball. It was obvious that they had no way of shutting down a run play....however...to his credit, gilbride had them line up in the shotgun, making it possible to spread out the defense.

Drez
12-06-2011, 09:46 PM
</P>

Eli does stuff like this every game, and has done so for years. Often times it works out, others it doesn't (think to the pick-6 in Dallas last year where Nicks decided to bail on the slant and go for the fade). </P>

But, hehas had full audible/check control at the line of scrimmage for quite some time now.</P>