PDA

View Full Version : McKenzie told to GO SHOP YOURSELF!!

Bones911
03-07-2012, 07:52 PM
Kareem McKenzie - T - Giants
The Giants recently informed free agent RT Kareem McKenzie that he is not part of the team's 2012 plans.
Citing a team source, the Bergen Record reports that the Giants, specifically, told McKenzie to "go shopping." The G-Men are high on 2011 fourth-round pick James Brewer, who could compete for the right tackle job. Another option is moving LG David Diehl. McKenzie turns 33 in May. He's missed just four starts since the 2006 season, however, and should find a taker in free agency.

per rotoworld Bergan Record

giantsfan420
03-07-2012, 07:57 PM
eh, i doubt it was done as classless as the article leads on. i mean the entire giants nation knew this was coming, and I'm sure KMac did as well...no need to verbally put it this way

i mean of course he should see if other teams are interested, but it'd be nice to hear of the giants saying they'd offer him some sort of FO gig. I dunno I just have a soft spot for KMac, guy was a great team first guy, and he DOMINATED for several seasons. He never really got the league wide credit he earned, he was arguably one of the best RT's in the NFL for several years.

He graded out as the best RT in all of pro football 2010, and prior to that season, he was a main staple of our OL and run game. For years, our run game was at its best off the edge on his side...I don't know if he ever made a Pro Bowl, if he didn't, he was robbed.

Hopefully the Giants and the fans show him how much he meant to us. Maybe if he doesn't garnish any interest, we could re-sign him for league minimum as depth. Who knows, maybe that'd spark the fire he needs to get back atop his game...

Bones911
03-07-2012, 07:59 PM
http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/trueblue/mckenzie_told_to_go_shopping/

Roosevelt
03-07-2012, 08:05 PM
The time is right. We need to upgrade RT.

Drez
03-07-2012, 08:15 PM
eh, i doubt it was done as classless as the article leads on. i mean the entire giants nation knew this was coming, and I'm sure KMac did as well...no need to verbally put it this way i mean of course he should see if other teams are interested, but it'd be nice to hear of the giants saying they'd offer him some sort of FO gig. I dunno I just have a soft spot for KMac, guy was a great team first guy, and he DOMINATED for several seasons. He never really got the league wide credit he earned, he was arguably one of the best RT's in the NFL for several years. He graded out as the best RT in all of pro football 2010, and prior to that season, he was a main staple of our OL and run game. For years, our run game was at its best off the edge on his side...I don't know if he ever made a Pro Bowl, if he didn't, he was robbed. Hopefully the Giants and the fans show him how much he meant to us. Maybe if he doesn't garnish any interest, we could re-sign him for league minimum as depth. Who knows, maybe that'd spark the fire he needs to get back atop his game...</P>

I'm sure those words were said, but not as crassly as being advertised. Letting people go, especially those that are no longer performing at the high level they used to, is always a difficult task. Hopefully, KMac can put in another couple good years somewhere else.</P>

TheEnigma
03-07-2012, 08:16 PM
Thus begins the Brewer era.

SweetZombieJesus
03-07-2012, 08:24 PM
We all know it's time to bust up the line, I'm sure KMac knew it when they sent O'Hara and Seubert home.

TuckYou
03-07-2012, 08:30 PM
Kmac was horrible this season, bit its not like anyone else played great on the oline. Beatty was looking good before he went down. If he can come back and Brewer be our RT, is be very pleased. I also don't hate the idea of Boothe as the LG going forward and saving $ on Diehl.

Martyr
03-07-2012, 08:51 PM
McKenzie is strange he had a up and down year but last year was very solid. He seems to comeback after a poor year and play well

netplus
03-07-2012, 08:54 PM
McKenzie is strange he had a up and down year but last year was very solid. He seems to comeback after a poor year and play well

Chances of a comeback year at the age of 33 are a longshot. Hopefully Mike Adams, OT, Ohio State is available at the end of the first round.

RoanokeFan
03-07-2012, 09:00 PM
Kareem McKenzie - T - Giants
The Giants recently informed free agent RT Kareem McKenzie that he is not part of the team's 2012 plans.
Citing a team source, the Bergen Record reports that the Giants, specifically, told McKenzie to "go shopping." The G-Men are high on 2011 fourth-round pick James Brewer, who could compete for the right tackle job. Another option is moving LG David Diehl. McKenzie turns 33 in May. He's missed just four starts since the 2006 season, however, and should find a taker in free agency.

per rotoworld Bergan Record

Here's the link, such as it is.

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/pro_sports/football/Source_Giants_dont_have_plans_to_keep_Kareem_McKen zie.html

nycsportzfan
03-07-2012, 09:08 PM
Kareem McKenzie - T - Giants The Giants recently informed free agent RT Kareem McKenzie that he is not part of the team's 2012 plans. Citing a team source, the Bergen Record reports that the Giants, specifically, told McKenzie to "go shopping." The G-Men are high on 2011 fourth-round pick James Brewer, who could compete for the right tackle job. Another option is moving LG David Diehl. McKenzie turns 33 in May. He's missed just four starts since the 2006 season, however, and should find a taker in free agency. per rotoworld Bergan Record

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/pro_sports/football/Source_Giants_dont_have_plans_to_keep_Kareem_McKen zie.html
Ya, James Brewer was a guy i really liked going into last yrs draft, and thought he could go as early as 2nd rd, so the value i thought was great.. Figured he'd need the yr to hone his skills, and with McKenzie on board, we were able to let him do just that.. Brewers very athletic and looks the part...

RoanokeFan
03-07-2012, 09:17 PM
Kareem McKenzie - T - Giants The Giants recently informed free agent RT Kareem McKenzie that he is not part of the team's 2012 plans. Citing a team source, the Bergen Record reports that the Giants, specifically, told McKenzie to "go shopping." The G-Men are high on 2011 fourth-round pick James Brewer, who could compete for the right tackle job. Another option is moving LG David Diehl. McKenzie turns 33 in May. He's missed just four starts since the 2006 season, however, and should find a taker in free agency. per rotoworld Bergan Record

Ya, James Brewer was a guy i really liked going into last yrs draft, and thought he could go as early as 2nd rd, so the value i thought was great.. Figured he'd need the yr to hone his skills, and with McKenzie on board, we were able to let him do just that.. Brewers very athletic and looks the part...

It could well be that Reese &amp; Co. think they couldn't do any worse by plugging in some of their next men up, like Brewer. By sending some veterans packing you free up CAP space and you give guys who have been on the team for a year or two a chance to see if we were right bringing them on board.

Is Diehl next to go??

XxBigWhitxX
03-07-2012, 09:25 PM

Ya,* James Brewer was a guy i really liked going into last yrs draft, and thought he could go as early as 2nd rd, so the value i thought was great.. Figured he'd need the yr to hone his skills, and with McKenzie on board, we were able to let him do just that.. Brewers very athletic and looks the part...

It could well be that Reese & Co. think they couldn't do any worse by plugging in some of their next men up, like Brewer.* By sending some veterans packing you free up CAP space and you give guys who have been on the team for a year or two a chance to see if we were right bringing them on* board.

Is Diehl next to go??
I hope. I ready for the Mitch Petrus era.

netplus
03-07-2012, 09:39 PM

Ya,* James Brewer was a guy i really liked going into last yrs draft, and thought he could go as early as 2nd rd, so the value i thought was great.. Figured he'd need the yr to hone his skills, and with McKenzie on board, we were able to let him do just that.. Brewers very athletic and looks the part...

It could well be that Reese & Co. think they couldn't do any worse by plugging in some of their next men up, like Brewer.* By sending some veterans packing you free up CAP space and you give guys who have been on the team for a year or two a chance to see if we were right bringing them on* board.

Is Diehl next to go??

Hopefully

RoanokeFan
03-07-2012, 09:46 PM

It could well be that Reese &amp; Co. think they couldn't do any worse by plugging in some of their next men up, like Brewer. By sending some veterans packing you free up CAP space and you give guys who have been on the team for a year or two a chance to see if we were right bringing them on board.

Is Diehl next to go??

I think we'll see Beatty and Boothe on the left side. I'm not sure Petrus is ready for prime time but he and Brewer can compete for RT. Could also be they slide Diehl over to RT for a year.

heavyhitter
03-07-2012, 10:07 PM
<table class="salaryTable" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><thead><tr class="salaryRow"><td class="header salaryYear"></td>
<td class="header salaryAmt">Base Salary</td>
<td class="header salaryAmt">S. Bonus</td>
<td class="header salaryAmt">Misc. Bonus</td>
<td class="header salaryAmt">Cap Hit</td>
</tr>
</thead>
<tbody>
<tr class="salaryRow">
<td class="salaryYear">2005</td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
<span class="end " title="">
650,000 </span></td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
1,785,714 </span>
</td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
- </span>
</td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
<span class="end " title="">2,435,714 </span></td>
</tr>
<tr class="salaryRow">
<td class="salaryYear">2006</td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
2,000,000 </span></td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
1,785,714 </span>
</td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
- </span>
</td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
<span class="end " title="">3,785,714 </span></td>
</tr>
<tr class="salaryRow">
<td class="salaryYear">2007</td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
2,850,000 </span></td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
1,785,714 </span>
</td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
- </span>
</td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
<span class="end " title="">4,635,714 </span></td>
</tr>
<tr class="salaryRow">
<td class="salaryYear">2008</td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
3,500,000 </span></td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
1,785,714 </span>
</td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
- </span>
</td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
<span class="end " title="">5,285,714 </span></td>
</tr>
<tr class="salaryRow">
<td class="salaryYear">2009</td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
3,075,000 </span></td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
1,785,714 </span>
</td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
- </span>
</td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
<span class="end " title="">4,860,714 </span></td>
</tr>
<tr class="salaryRow">
<td class="salaryYear">2010</td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
4,125,000 </span></td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
1,785,714 </span>
</td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
- </span>
</td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
<span class="end " title="">5,910,714 </span></td>
</tr>
<tr class="salaryRow">
<td class="salaryYear">2011</td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
4,300,000 </span></td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
1,785,714 </span>
</td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
- </span>
</td>
<td class="salaryAmt">
<span class="end " title="">6,085,714 </span></td>
</tr>

<tr class="salaryRow">
<td class="salaryYear">2012</td>
<td class="salaryAmt fa" colspan="4">
<span class="ufa">
UFA </span>
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="details"><div class="player-details"><ul> Signing Bonus: $12.5 million[/list]</div></td></tr></tbody></table>

Joe Morrison
03-07-2012, 10:33 PM
Did a good job but his abiltiy to stay 100% has been an issue.</P>

Time for the entire O - Line to start getting younger.</P>

</P>

JJC7301
03-07-2012, 11:48 PM
That's not necessarily a slap in the face. The Giants are looking for the market to set his value, possibly. They may want him back, but at a reduced price. If someone is willing to pay him much more, then they'll go with Brewer. I think they're going with Brewer anyway, but they may want McKenzie for 1 more year at the right price.

Diehl needs to be a backup and not a starter.

NY_Eli
03-08-2012, 01:55 AM

Is Diehl next to go??

I think we'll see Beatty and* Boothe on the left side.* I'm not sure Petrus is ready for prime time but he and Brewer can compete for RT.* Could also be they slide Diehl over to RT for a year.

I think you're right on the money RF

alau53
03-08-2012, 02:07 AM
i think reg mite stay in ny and resign with the jets..they have no rt with hunter listed as starter

G-Men Surg.
03-08-2012, 02:27 AM
i think reg mite stay in ny and resign with the jets..they have no rt with hunter listed as starter
I love what Mac brought to Big Blue and if he indeed goes I wish him nothing but the best . Don't have nothing against if he stays and signs with the Jets, in the other hand I will be very pissed if he goes with the Cowturds .

NY_Eli
03-08-2012, 02:28 AM
I love what Mac brought to Big Blue and if he indeed goes I wish him nothing but the best . Don't have nothing against if he stays and signs with the Jets, in the other hand I will be very pissed if he goes with the Cowturds .

I dunno...I kind of like the prospect of Tuck and/or Kiwi lining up against K Mac, as much as I liked him during his time here

RagTime Blue
03-08-2012, 02:41 AM
To me, the big question is Diehl. He had a really rough season, but he's still possibly the most versatile lineman in the league. I think that's an insurance policy the team would be willing to pay for another year.

G-Men Surg.
03-08-2012, 02:43 AM

I dunno...I kind of like the prospect of Tuck and/or Kiwi lining up against K Mac, as much as I liked him during his time here
I just hope Big Blue can fill the RT position properly. IMO McKenzie has been always very underrated and aside of Snee he has been very durable and constant during his tenure. I know that a change was coming, his contract was up and he is getting up in years but of all the OL positions all thru out this years he was a constant and the team never worried about it. This is Brewer's chance to make a name for him self. Still this could end up being a very huge need to fill if JB doesn't deliver.

NY_Eli
03-08-2012, 02:48 AM

I just hope Big Blue can fill the RT position properly. IMO McKenzie has been always very underrated and aside of Snee he has been very durable and constant during his tenure. I know that a change was coming, his contract was up and he is getting up in years but of all the OL positions all thru out this years he was a constant and the team never worried about it. This is Brewer's chance to make a name for him self. Still this could end up being a very huge need to fill if JB doesn't deliver.

I agree he was underrated, but it seems like it's time to move on. Coaches seem high on Brewer, but I'm sure Reese will shore up the depth as well.

G-Men Surg.
03-08-2012, 02:55 AM

I agree he was underrated, but it seems like it's time to move on. Coaches seem high on Brewer, but I'm sure Reese will shore up the depth as well.

What about Adam Koets? I have not heard from him. I remember he started the season in PUP and then ? He was originally drafted by the Giants back in 07 as a OT and he has been a jack of all trades, I would not mind giving him a shot at RT if he still around and healthy.

NY_Eli
03-08-2012, 02:59 AM

What about Adam Koets? I have not heard from him. I remember he started the season in PUP and then ? He was originally drafted by the Giants back in 07 as a OT and he has been a jack of all trades, I would not mind giving him a shot at RT if he still around and healthy.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think he's on the team anymore

G-Men Surg.
03-08-2012, 03:06 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think he's on the team anymore
I really don't know bro and can't remember if he was released by an injury settlement . I liked him prior to that awful knee injury down in Houston. I have to do some homework about him, FA ? IR ? With another team ? Don't know.

G-Men Surg.
03-08-2012, 03:14 AM
Just saw that he is in IR. Hope he can come back. Great depth and can push and compete for playing time.

BlueSanta
03-08-2012, 03:18 AM
I wish Big Mck all the best. He has been a very good, and underrated player for us for a long time. Age is a sad thing.

bluesince86
03-08-2012, 08:25 AM
I love Kmac and am grateful for everything he has done for the G-Men. But it is time to part ways, I hope he lands somewhere where he has another chance to win and wish him the best of luck.

GMENAGAIN
03-08-2012, 09:10 AM
I love Kmac and am grateful for everything he has done for the G-Men. But it is time to part ways, I hope he lands somewhere where he has another chance to win and wish him the best of luck.
</P>

One of our best FA signings in the last 20 years . . . . a great player and a great guy. </P>

But unfortunately the time has come to part ways . . . . .</P>

Good luck KMac!</P>

nygsb42champs
03-08-2012, 09:25 AM
Not a huge surprise.

Kruunch
03-08-2012, 10:07 AM
Good to see Brewer finally mentioned.

I was wondering about his development from the lack of exposure we've been given.

We'll find out just how much faith they have in Brewer at the Draft though.

I'd expect Beatty to start at LT in 2012 (assuming he is able to) and Diehl to start at LG again (no I'm not a fan of DD at LG). How it ends in 2012 is anyone's guess.

I would think they'll continue to use Boothe as depth across the line as needed.

BlueBlitzer
03-08-2012, 10:14 AM
Why should He go play anywhere ? He was paid handsomely, rewarded the Giants with steller play, and has two SB rings. He'd probably be a great L-Coach somewhere.

BlueBlitzer
03-08-2012, 10:15 AM
Why should He go play anywhere ? He was paid handsomely, rewarded the Giants with steller play, and has two SB rings. He'd probably be a great OL-Coach somewhere.

MikeIsaGiant
03-08-2012, 10:48 AM
Yeah they said it like that... balls.

His time here is done though. Mck was getting murdered

JesseJames
03-08-2012, 11:54 AM
the Giants are too classy to tell a player something like "go shop yourself" this sounds to me like a reporter trying to hype his story to make a bigger impact, more garbage media stuff...
I'm sure McKenzie was told he might not be in the GIants plans or something along those lines but nothing as classless as what this idiot says...

RoanokeFan
03-08-2012, 11:57 AM
the Giants are too classy to tell a player something like "go shop yourself" this sounds to me like a reporter trying to hype his story to make a bigger impact, more garbage media stuff...
I'm sure McKenzie was told he might not be in the GIants plans or something along those lines but nothing as classless as what this idiot says...

I'm pretty sure there was some poetic license taken by the media head on that phrase.

pino
03-08-2012, 05:48 PM
I'm very sad to see him go. He was one of our best free agent picks up to date, if not THE best.

Good luck McKenzie.

Drez
03-08-2012, 08:26 PM
the Giants are too classy to tell a player something like "go shop yourself" this sounds to me like a reporter trying to hype his story to make a bigger impact, more garbage media stuff... I'm sure McKenzie was told he might not be in the GIants plans or something along those lines but nothing as classless as what this idiot says...</P>

No, I can completely see the FO saying that to KMack. It probably went something like this: </P>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px" dir=ltr>

"We're sorry to be doing this, butwe just wanted to bring you in and let you know that you aren't in our plans for 2012. It was a difficult desicion to make because you've been a great player for us and a mainstay on an OL that helped us win 2 SBs. But, we wanted to get you in here and inform you of this before the FA period starts, so when it does, you can go shop yourself right away and notwaste time waiting on anoffer from usor for us to match another club's offer. We wish you the best of luck in FA and hope that you have a brilliant end to your career and are saddened that it will not be with the New York Football Giants."</P></BLOCKQUOTE>
<P dir=ltr></P>

JJC7301
03-08-2012, 11:48 PM
</P>

One of our best FA signings in the last 20 years . . . . a great player and a great guy. </P>

But unfortunately the time has come to part ways . . . . .</P>

Good luck KMac!</P>
+1. He was a GREAT signing. Funny how you never hear anything about the guy -- he just goes about his business doing a great job.