PDA

View Full Version : MARIO MANNINGHAM BELIEVES HE'S A # 1 RECEIVER

RoanokeFan
03-07-2012, 08:30 PM
MARIO MANNINGHAM BELIEVES HE'S A # 1 RECEIVER (http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/mario_giants_clock_ticking_FMNJBn4mpj7AmhOnYEjR4I)

"Mario Manningham believes he is a No. 1 receiver, believes he should get paid
like a No. 1 receiver, and believes there’s an NFL team out there that agrees
with him. If he’s correct, then he’s unquestionably played his last game for the
Giants.<div style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; TEXT-ALIGN: left; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff; COLOR: #000000; OVERFLOW: hidden; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; TEXT-DECORATION: none">

Manningham will become an unrestricted free agent on March 13 because there
is no possibility he and the Giants will come to an agreement before the signing
period begins.</p>Manningham was supplanted by Victor Cruz and, along with Hakeem Nicks, formed
a formidable three-pronged receiver attack as the Giants won the Super Bowl. The
talented trio allowed quarterback Eli Manning the luxury of picking out the
inevitable mismatch to exploit.
<div id="intext_area_middle" class="intext_area narrow">
<div style="Z-INDEX: 1" class="block ad wrap quigo">
</div></div>

Such luxuries are almost impossible to maintain within a salary-cap structure
and, after his breakthrough performance in the playoffs followed by a
sensational closing act down the stretch of Super Bowl XLVI, Manningham has most
likely priced himself out of the Giants’ range.</p>

“I want to be here,” he said this week at the premiere screening of the
official Super Bowl DVD. “I feel like we can do a lot of damage in these next
four, five years. That’s just how I feel, because we’re all young. It’s not up
to me, I want to stay. It’s a business, too, you got to look at it like that,
too. You got to look out for your family, that’s how it is.”</p>

The Giants could have ensured they retained Manningham’s services for 2012 by
designating him as their franchise player but that would have cost them upwards
of $9 million next season. Instead, the Giants put the franchise tag on punter
Steve Weatherford and Manningham will hit the open market. He knows how
effective the offense operated with three top receivers but paying them all is
not possible, not with Cruz in line for a big raise — he is scheduled to make
$490,000 this season — and Nicks’ deal up after the 2013 season.</p>

“I feel like a lot of times where they could have took Hakeem and Victor out
I could have made plays, or they could have took me and Victor out and Hakeem
could have made plays,’’ Manningham said. “I feel like any of us can make a play
at any time. You need a lot of good receivers these days.”</p>

The Giants will no doubt be looking for another one after Manningham leaves
and a familiar face will be available. Plaxico Burress last year spurned the
Giants’ offer to return but as he hits free agency is listing the Giants, Jets,
Eagles and Steelers as the teams he’s most interested in playing for. He has
made no secret the Eagles are his first choice.</p>

As for a reunion with the Giants, Burress, speaking yesterday on SiriusXM NFL
Radio, said, “It’s always a great possibility. Playing in Kevin Gilbride’s
system is definitely one of the best. You just look at some of the plays those
guys are making out on the edge and Eli has really just become a man at his
position, leading those guys the last few games of the season and obviously
winning a Super Bowl. Being in that offense, it’s definitely a great
offense.’’</p>

In need of a new employer, Burress has certainly changed his tune regarding
Tom Coughlin, calling him “definitely a great coach.’’</p>

In his one season with the Jets, Burress started slowly, but finished with 48
receptions for 612 yards and eight touchdowns, showing he still can be a
red-zone threat. Although he won’t return to the team, he called the Jets “a
championship-caliber football team. I believe they will win a Super Bowl one
day.’’</p>
</div>

MattMeyerBud
03-07-2012, 08:40 PM
but a number one receiver doesn't exist - ask slipknot

i agree, I think hes a low #1 - high #2

GmenFan1980
03-07-2012, 08:43 PM
What makes him think he should be paid like a #1? I don't mind the confidence in himself to believe he is a #1 caliber receiver, but he has not put up the numbers to warrant that type of payday.

well whatever, hope he does good wherever he may end up :).

Don't care about the Plaxico stuff lol

MattMeyerBud
03-07-2012, 08:54 PM
What makes him think he should be paid like a #1? I don't mind the confidence in himself to believe he is a #1 caliber receiver, but he has not put up the numbers to warrant that type of payday.

well i'd say the fact that hes big play capable and has shined on the big stage

hungrrrry
03-07-2012, 09:20 PM
I am not going to berate Mario because I don't think he deserves it...I think he has been an exemplary member of this team and has maintained a professional attitude during his time here even when times we tough. I like him!</P>

However, unfortunately, I don't believe he is going to get #1 money...He is deserving of a solid receiver's money, say $4.5 - $5.5 mil/year and I think the bulk of that will be in the back end of the contract with a modest signing bonus or at least incentive laden....I wish we had cap space and maybe he gives us the hometown discount at $3.5-4mil and we could give him a better signing bonus.</P>

I do believe if Mario stayed and remained healthy we would have the best receiving corp in the league. Dallas may have a better trio if they retain Robinson. We have no one proven behind Mario.</P>

Giants fans, lets not beat up on Mario if he wants better for himself....unless he goes to another NFC East team, then he is just asking for it! We NY'ers are always there to ablige!</P>

Joe Morrison
03-07-2012, 09:28 PM
Not going to bash Mario just mention a few facts.</P>

#1 Recievers get it done all the time, he has not shown when Nicks was not on the field he could be the man in double coverage, made all his highlights with Nicks and Cruz drawing all the attention.</P>

#2 If he wants to be considered a #1 he has to play 16 regular season games, not 10 - 12 which he has done consistently since he got to the Giants.</P>

#3 Enjoy the chance to have an Elite QB get you the ball even when you think you're covered, play with Eli is why he was able to make that catch in the Super Bowl, not to many other QB's woudl have even attemped to drop that in there.</P>

If some other team is willing to pay him the crazy money he has to go, but if he is just getting similar money the Giants will offer he'd be a fool not to stay.</P>

Good Luck either way, you always have the last catch you made in the Superbowl to remember.</P>

nycsportzfan
03-07-2012, 09:41 PM
MARIO MANNINGHAM BELIEVES HE'S A # 1 RECEIVER (http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/mario_giants_clock_ticking_FMNJBn4mpj7AmhOnYEjR4I)

"Mario Manningham believes he is a No. 1 receiver, believes he should get paid like a No. 1 receiver, and believes there’s an NFL team out there that agrees with him. If he’s correct, then he’s unquestionably played his last game for the Giants.
<DIV style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none; OVERFLOW: hidden; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; COLOR: #000000; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff; TEXT-ALIGN: left; TEXT-DECORATION: none">

Manningham will become an unrestricted free agent on March 13 because there is no possibility he and the Giants will come to an agreement before the signing period begins.</P>Manningham was supplanted by Victor Cruz and, along with Hakeem Nicks, formed a formidable three-pronged receiver attack as the Giants won the Super Bowl. The talented trio allowed quarterback Eli Manning the luxury of picking out the inevitable mismatch to exploit.
<DIV class="intext_area narrow" id=intext_area_middle>
<DIV class="block ad wrap quigo" style="Z-INDEX: 1"></DIV></DIV>

Such luxuries are almost impossible to maintain within a salary-cap structure and, after his breakthrough performance in the playoffs followed by a sensational closing act down the stretch of Super Bowl XLVI, Manningham has most likely priced himself out of the Giants’ range.</P>

“I want to be here,” he said this week at the premiere screening of the official Super Bowl DVD. “I feel like we can do a lot of damage in these next four, five years. That’s just how I feel, because we’re all young. It’s not up to me, I want to stay. It’s a business, too, you got to look at it like that, too. You got to look out for your family, that’s how it is.”</P>

The Giants could have ensured they retained Manningham’s services for 2012 by designating him as their franchise player but that would have cost them upwards of $9 million next season. Instead, the Giants put the franchise tag on punter Steve Weatherford and Manningham will hit the open market. He knows how effective the offense operated with three top receivers but paying them all is not possible, not with Cruz in line for a big raise — he is scheduled to make $490,000 this season — and Nicks’ deal up after the 2013 season.</P>

“I feel like a lot of times where they could have took Hakeem and Victor out I could have made plays, or they could have took me and Victor out and Hakeem could have made plays,’’ Manningham said. “I feel like any of us can make a play at any time. You need a lot of good receivers these days.”</P>

The Giants will no doubt be looking for another one after Manningham leaves and a familiar face will be available. Plaxico Burress last year spurned the Giants’ offer to return but as he hits free agency is listing the Giants, Jets, Eagles and Steelers as the teams he’s most interested in playing for. He has made no secret the Eagles are his first choice.</P>

As for a reunion with the Giants, Burress, speaking yesterday on SiriusXM NFL Radio, said, “It’s always a great possibility. Playing in Kevin Gilbride’s system is definitely one of the best. You just look at some of the plays those guys are making out on the edge and Eli has really just become a man at his position, leading those guys the last few games of the season and obviously winning a Super Bowl. Being in that offense, it’s definitely a great offense.’’</P>

In need of a new employer, Burress has certainly changed his tune regarding Tom Coughlin, calling him “definitely a great coach.’’</P>

In his one season with the Jets, Burress started slowly, but finished with 48 receptions for 612 yards and eight touchdowns, showing he still can be a red-zone threat. Although he won’t return to the team, he called the Jets “a championship-caliber football team. I believe they will win a Super Bowl one day.’’</P>
</DIV>
And here i thought Mario would say hes a Number 2 WR and should be paid as so...lol j/k

MattMeyerBud
03-07-2012, 09:44 PM
Not going to bash Mario just mention a few facts.</P>

#1 Recievers get it done all the time, he has not shown when Nicks was not on the field he could be the man in double coverage, made all his highlights with Nicks and Cruz drawing all the attention.</P>

#2* If he wants to be considered a #1 he has to play 16 regular season games, not 10 - 12 which he has done consistently since he got to the Giants.</P>

#3* Enjoy the chance to have an Elite QB get you the ball even when you think you're covered, play with Eli is why he was able to make that catch in the Super Bowl, not to many other QB's woudl have even attemped to drop that in there.</P>

If some other team is willing to pay him the crazy money he has to go, but if he is just getting similar money the Giants will offer he'd be a fool not to stay.</P>

Good Luck either way, you always have the last catch you made in2 the Superbowl to remember.</P>

#1)

3-33-1
3-61-1
2-36-0
4-101-1
10-150-1
4-55-0

those are his stat lines in games that Nicks has missed.

If u take those averages for a season he finishes around 70 receptions, 1200 yards, and 9 tds. So he has def produced when Nicks went down.

#2 - Plenty of #1s dont consistantly play a full 16, Nicks being one. But your right, im sure his injury history will limit him somewhat.

#3- The throw was definitly the story, but he still made the play. HE also came up big for the TD vs San Fran. Bottom line is that he showed that his nerves didn't get to him in the big show

scoopscj
03-07-2012, 09:46 PM
It is difficult to show 'tone of voice' in a post so let me first say, thank you Mario for all you have done for my Giants.

Now, honestly, Mario is not even close to the sharpest tool in the shed. It's going to take him ages, maybe even a year to learn another team's playbook. Add that to the bobbles and injuries and he should not command #1 receiver money. I wish him the best and if some team is willing to grant him that contract, so be it. If they do, they will regret it because the health, intelligence, and the drops, will not fit the contract $$.

Good luck Mario, thank you for your time as a Giant.

Scoops

MattMeyerBud
03-07-2012, 09:48 PM
It is difficult to show 'tone of voice' in a post so let me first say, thank you Mario for all you have done for my Giants.

Now, honestly, Mario is not even close to the sharpest tool in the shed.* It's going to take him ages, maybe even a year to learn another team's playbook.* Add that to the bobbles and injuries and he should not command #1 receiver money.* I wish him the best and if some team is willing to grant him that contract, so be it.* If they do, they will regret it because the health, intelligence, and the drops, will not fit the contract $$.*

Good luck Mario, thank you for your time as a Giant.*

Scoops

what do u base that on

GmenFan1980
03-07-2012, 10:01 PM

Tyree shined on the "big stage" as well, so what?

and what receiver isn't big play capable? Manningham runs great routes and is great at sideline catches. good reliable #2 guy imo.

MattMeyerBud
03-07-2012, 10:17 PM

and what receiver isn't big play capable? Manningham runs great routes and is great at sideline catches. good reliable #2 guy imo.

are you forgetting the SF TD as well?

and Mario has a resume to go along with it

MattMeyerBud
03-07-2012, 10:23 PM

and there isnt many guys who have as many TDs and 40+ yard plays as Mario has the past 3 years. theres a difference between being capable and actually doing it

Blue daddy
03-07-2012, 10:26 PM
Good luck Mario get what you can. Go to Miami with Peyton.

giantsfan420
03-07-2012, 10:32 PM
mmb-the issue with MM is not that he isn't capable, its that he isn't consistent.

he has stretches of the season where he virtually disappears. even this past season, he went like a month of making no impact on the games...

thats the only thing i believe doesnt make him a true #1 wr. he has too many games of 1 or 0 catches and no impact.

he def. has the ability, but even in the SB, it took him until the 4th quarter to make his mark, and that was when NE was completely selling out on nicks and cruz...

edit- even in the SF NFCCG, he had i belive just that 1 td catch. and that was way more of a big play by eli. it was 3rd and forever and we needed a td, eli even said that before the game he and peyton discussed a certain look SF d gave and what he could do if they gave him that look. sure enough they did, and eli delivered an absolutely perfect pass, just like the SB. each one of MM's catches in the SB were perfectly thrown balls.
on the couple of plays where MM needed to step up before that 4th period, MM didn't come thru. on that 3rd and 10 after the phantom holding call, eli put that pass exactly where it needed to be to give MM a chance at it and he failed. on a couple of comeback routes eli put the ball exactly where it needed to be and MM didn't run crisp enough route or shield the ball from the defender. on the one sideline go route before that awesome catch, MM didn't give himself enough room to pull the catch in.

he's too inconsistent on his route running and ability to make the play

JJC7301
03-07-2012, 10:38 PM
He would be a # 1 WR on some other teams like the 49ers, but not on the Giants.

He will get # 1 WR money from someone, or certainly # 2. I wish him the very best. He's a good receiver and a good guy.

MattMeyerBud
03-08-2012, 10:15 AM
He would be a # 1 WR on some other teams like the 49ers, but not on the Giants.

He will get # 1 WR money from someone, or certainly # 2. I wish him the very best. He's a good receiver and a good guy.

I agree.

I think all the temas he can be a #1 on are:

Ravens, Browns, Colts (figuring Wayne is gone), Jags, Titans, Broncos, Raiders, Redskins, Bears, Vikings, Buccs, 9ers, Seahawks

thats like 40% of the league

MattMeyerBud
03-08-2012, 10:19 AM
Good luck Mario get what you can. Go to Miami with Peyton.

i think Reggie is on Peytons scent wherever he goes

MattMeyerBud
03-08-2012, 10:21 AM
mmb-the issue with MM is not that he isn't capable, its that he isn't consistent.

he has stretches of the season where he virtually disappears. even this past season, he went like a month of making no impact on the games...

thats the only thing i believe doesnt make him a true #1 wr. he has too many games of 1 or 0 catches and no impact.

he def. has the ability, but even in the SB, it took him until the 4th quarter to make his mark, and that was when NE was completely selling out on nicks and cruz...

edit- even in the SF NFCCG, he had i belive just that 1 td catch. and that was way more of a big play by eli. it was 3rd and forever and we needed a td, eli even said that before the game he and peyton discussed a certain look SF d gave and what he could do if they gave him that look. sure enough they did, and eli delivered an absolutely perfect pass, just like the SB. each one of MM's catches in the SB were perfectly thrown balls.
on the couple of plays where MM needed to step up before that 4th period, MM didn't come thru. on that 3rd and 10 after the phantom holding call, eli put that pass exactly where it needed to be to give MM a chance at it and he failed. on a couple of comeback routes eli put the ball exactly where it needed to be and MM didn't run crisp enough route or shield the ball from the defender. on the one sideline go route before that awesome catch, MM didn't give himself enough room to pull the catch in.

hes just had better talent than him here but we've had some great receievers. You only play with one football.

Hakeem Nicks out the gate was a star for us.

Steve Smith pre-injury was a great player for us and Cruz just put up Calvin numbers. When one of the WRs ahead of him went down he was always consistent. Bottom line is when he got his chances he produced and somebody is going to realize that and pay him.

TuckYou
03-08-2012, 11:03 AM
Well, he is a #1 WR, on teams like the Jags, Rams, Bucs, Bills ect... A bunch of teams he would be the #2 WR. He has shown he can do it here. Unfortunately for him, and fortunately for us, he was the 3rd best WR here.</P>

</P>

Morehead State
03-08-2012, 11:18 AM
What makes him think he should be paid like a #1? I don't mind the confidence in himself to believe he is a #1 caliber receiver, but he has not put up the numbers to warrant that type of payday. well whatever, hope he does good wherever he may end up :). Don't care about the Plaxico stuff lol</P>

He was healthy in 2010 and as a backup he had 60 catches, 944 yards and 9 TD's.</P>

As a backup!!!</P>

He has the ability. He needs the snaps. I think he's right. He certainly is a legit deep threat in the NFL.</P>

MattMeyerBud
03-08-2012, 11:20 AM
Well, he is a #1 WR, on teams like the Jags, Rams, Bucs, Bills ect... A bunch of teams he would be the #2 WR. He has shown he can do it here. Unfortunately for him, and fortunately for us, he was the 3rd best WR here.</p>

</p>

I agree with that... i think hes a low end #1 and a high end #2

giantsfan420
03-08-2012, 02:03 PM

hes just had better talent than him here but we've had some great receievers. You only play with one football.

Steve Smith pre-injury was a great player for us and Cruz just put up Calvin numbers. When one of the WRs ahead of him went down he was always consistent. Bottom line is when he got his chances he produced and somebody is going to realize that and pay him.

i think he could be one of the best 2 wr's in the league. but as the 1, u simply have to be consistent in all aspects of the game as u face double teams more often.

if he's disappearing for long stretches when defenses are keying in on nicks and cruz, it isn't bc theirs only one football its he's not consistently beating coverage. eli will throw to the open guy...dont matter who it is. mm had a lot of opportunities to be that open guy and for whatever reason; bad route running, not getting seperation, failing to make the catch, being injured to where he couldnt play to his talent level, he just disappears.

in the SF game, he absolutely disappeared. that td catch was more on eli than it was mm. the route wasnt even run all that great as mm tipped the db off, it was just a perfectly thrown ball.
in the sb, NE was keying on nicks/cruz all game. mm had several opportunities 1v1, eli threw great passes, and mm just did not make the play.

i dont mean to sound like im ripping the guy, he's an amazing talent. but his game doesn't strike me as a 1. he, by almost everyones description, is a big play speed type threat. a 1 has that, but also is a solid route runner, consistent, and makes tough catches and can beat double teams...just havent seen mm do it on a consistent basis at all

MattMeyerBud
03-08-2012, 02:53 PM

i think he could be one of the best 2 wr's in the league. but as the 1, u simply have to be consistent in all aspects of the game as u face double teams more often.

if he's disappearing for long stretches when defenses are keying in on nicks and cruz, it isn't bc theirs only one football its he's not consistently beating coverage. eli will throw to the open guy...dont matter who it is. mm had a lot of opportunities to be that open guy and for whatever reason; bad route running, not getting seperation, failing to make the catch, being injured to where he couldnt play to his talent level, he just disappears.

in the SF game, he absolutely disappeared. that td catch was more on eli than it was mm. the route wasnt even run all that great as mm tipped the db off, it was just a perfectly thrown ball.
in the sb, NE was keying on nicks/cruz all game. mm had several opportunities 1v1, eli threw great passes, and mm just did not make the play.

i dont mean to sound like im ripping the guy, he's an amazing talent. but his game doesn't strike me as a 1. he, by almost everyones description, is a big play speed type threat. a 1 has that, but also is a solid route runner, consistent, and makes tough catches and can beat double teams...just havent seen mm do it on a consistent basis at all

well yea I consider him a low #1/high #2 type receiver. I listed about 10-12 before that he could def go be the #1 for.

im not buying that disappearing thing or that teams key on Nicks and Cruz for any other reason then they are just better.

And not only that, i dunno if u were in my thread the other day about what number receiver u would consider cruz, but after looking at snap counts played, for the first 6 games they played together this year Cruz was playing half the snaps and having sick production.

That ball in san fran was leaping in between two defenders and making the catch in a crowd with it all on the line. I don't get why people try to say that because it was a good throw, that it als couldn't of been a good catch.

And he didn't disappear, it was just that Nicks and Cruz were open all day. Again, we only play with one ball.

and don't get me wrong, im not saying hes a bonafied #1... hes not a hakeem nicks

but he is the talent of a low end #1/hard pressed to find many better #2s

Morehead State
03-08-2012, 03:06 PM
mmb-the issue with MM is not that he isn't capable, its that he isn't consistent. he has stretches of the season where he virtually disappears. even this past season, he went like a month of making no impact on the games... thats the only thing i believe doesnt make him a true #1 wr. he has too many games of 1 or 0 catches and no impact. he def. has the ability, but even in the SB, it took him until the 4th quarter to make his mark, and that was when NE was completely selling out on nicks and cruz... edit- even in the SF NFCCG, he had i belive just that 1 td catch. and that was way more of a big play by eli. it was 3rd and forever and we needed a td, eli even said that before the game he and peyton discussed a certain look SF d gave and what he could do if they gave him that look. sure enough they did, and eli delivered an absolutely perfect pass, just like the SB. each one of MM's catches in the SB were perfectly thrown balls. on the couple of plays where MM needed to step up before that 4th period, MM didn't come thru. on that 3rd and 10 after the phantom holding call, eli put that pass exactly where it needed to be to give MM a chance at it and he failed. on a couple of comeback routes eli put the ball exactly where it needed to be and MM didn't run crisp enough route or shield the ball from the defender. on the one sideline go route before that awesome catch, MM didn't give himself enough room to pull the catch in. he's too inconsistent on his route running and ability to make the play

i think he could be one of the best 2 wr's in the league. but as the 1, u simply have to be consistent in all aspects of the game as u face double teams more often. if he's disappearing for long stretches when defenses are keying in on nicks and cruz, it isn't bc theirs only one football its he's not consistently beating coverage. eli will throw to the open guy...dont matter who it is. mm had a lot of opportunities to be that open guy and for whatever reason; bad route running, not getting seperation, failing to make the catch, being injured to where he couldnt play to his talent level, he just disappears. in the SF game, he absolutely disappeared. that td catch was more on eli than it was mm. the route wasnt even run all that great as mm tipped the db off, it was just a perfectly thrown ball. in the sb, NE was keying on nicks/cruz all game. mm had several opportunities 1v1, eli threw great passes, and mm just did not make the play. i dont mean to sound like im ripping the guy, he's an amazing talent. but his game doesn't strike me as a 1. he, by almost everyones description, is a big play speed type threat. a 1 has that, but also is a solid route runner, consistent, and makes tough catches and can beat double teams...just havent seen mm do it on a consistent basis at all</P>

When so many other guys were hurt near the end of 2010...how did MM play?</P>

Look at his production. He averaged over 100 yards/game and had some huge plays.</P>

GameTime
03-08-2012, 03:49 PM

"Mario Manningham believes he is a No. 1 receiver, believes he should get paid like a No. 1 receiver, and believes there’s an NFL team out there that agrees with him. If he’s correct, then he’s unquestionably played his last game for the Giants.
<DIV style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; TEXT-ALIGN: left; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff; COLOR: #000000; OVERFLOW: hidden; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; TEXT-DECORATION: none">

Manningham will become an unrestricted free agent on March 13 because there is no possibility he and the Giants will come to an agreement before the signing period begins.</P>Manningham was supplanted by Victor Cruz and, along with Hakeem Nicks, formed a formidable three-pronged receiver attack as the Giants won the Super Bowl. The talented trio allowed quarterback Eli Manning the luxury of picking out the inevitable mismatch to exploit.
<DIV id=intext_area_middle class="intext_area narrow">
<DIV style="Z-INDEX: 1" class="block ad wrap quigo"></DIV></DIV>

Such luxuries are almost impossible to maintain within a salary-cap structure and, after his breakthrough performance in the playoffs followed by a sensational closing act down the stretch of Super Bowl XLVI, Manningham has most likely priced himself out of the Giants’ range.</P>

“I want to be here,” he said this week at the premiere screening of the official Super Bowl DVD. “I feel like we can do a lot of damage in these next four, five years. That’s just how I feel, because we’re all young. It’s not up to me, I want to stay. It’s a business, too, you got to look at it like that, too. You got to look out for your family, that’s how it is.”</P>

The Giants could have ensured they retained Manningham’s services for 2012 by designating him as their franchise player but that would have cost them upwards of $9 million next season. Instead, the Giants put the franchise tag on punter Steve Weatherford and Manningham will hit the open market. He knows how effective the offense operated with three top receivers but paying them all is not possible, not with Cruz in line for a big raise — he is scheduled to make $490,000 this season — and Nicks’ deal up after the 2013 season.</P>

“I feel like a lot of times where they could have took Hakeem and Victor out I could have made plays, or they could have took me and Victor out and Hakeem could have made plays,’’ Manningham said. “I feel like any of us can make a play at any time. You need a lot of good receivers these days.”</P>

The Giants will no doubt be looking for another one after Manningham leaves and a familiar face will be available. Plaxico Burress last year spurned the Giants’ offer to return but as he hits free agency is listing the Giants, Jets, Eagles and Steelers as the teams he’s most interested in playing for. He has made no secret the Eagles are his first choice.</P>

As for a reunion with the Giants, Burress, speaking yesterday on SiriusXM NFL Radio, said, “It’s always a great possibility. Playing in Kevin Gilbride’s system is definitely one of the best. You just look at some of the plays those guys are making out on the edge and Eli has really just become a man at his position, leading those guys the last few games of the season and obviously winning a Super Bowl. Being in that offense, it’s definitely a great offense.’’</P>

In need of a new employer, Burress has certainly changed his tune regarding Tom Coughlin, calling him “definitely a great coach.’’</P>

In his one season with the Jets, Burress started slowly, but finished with 48 receptions for 612 yards and eight touchdowns, showing he still can be a red-zone threat. Although he won’t return to the team, he called the Jets “a championship-caliber football team. I believe they will win a Super Bowl one day.’’</P>
</DIV>

</P>

did notsee one sentence in that artcile that quotes MM as saying he believes he is a number #1 graded WR. The author wrote but where did MM actually say it???</P>

</P>

nygsb42champs
03-08-2012, 03:49 PM
Somebody will pay him #1 WR money just not us.