PDA

View Full Version : Amobi Okoye DT (free agent) Bears

Warchild
03-08-2012, 12:29 AM
He was a high 1st round draft pick and one of the youngest players every drafted in the 1st round. However, he was cut by the Texans in the early part of last year, but I believe mainly because of his salary and that he didn't fit their scheme.

Went on to sign a 1 year deal with the Bears. I think the kid could thrive in our scheme. I would really like to have Reese bring him in for a workout.

giantsfan420
03-08-2012, 12:45 AM
He was a high 1st round draft pick and one of the youngest players every drafted in the 1st round. However, he was cut by the Texans in the early part of last year, but I believe mainly because of his salary and that he didn't fit their scheme.

Went on to sign a 1 year deal with the Bears. I think the kid could thrive in our scheme. I would really like to have Reese bring him in for a workout.

this is an excellent proposition. Okoye was i believe 19 when he was drafted (possibly younger) and he was cut by the texans bc he had an astronomical salary.

He's probably not even 24 yet. He still has a ton of upside, and we wouldn't have to pay much to see if we could get it out of him. It would also save a draft pick for us as we'll probably have to use one on the dt position. I wouldn't want him to be a starter, but he could be solid depth, and give him a chance to learn our system and gradually bring him along.

and if he works out, it could give us leverage with canty, who i love as a player, but he makes too much against the cap.

i wouldnt be surprised at all if he's an addition or gets a workout from reese. he could also thrive here bc he'll get a lot of 1v1 looks with our de's. i didnt know he was a FA, good threat warchild great idea i'm on board.

NY_Eli
03-08-2012, 12:50 AM
Doubt we have the cap space. It just depends what happens with Canty. I believe the gmen are high on Austin as well.

giantsfan420
03-08-2012, 12:52 AM
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=13143&draftyear=2007&genpos=

he was rated the top dt of the 2007 draft. he is extremely athletic at 6'2 and 305 pounds. his final 2 seasons with the texans were pretty solid, leading the texans dl in tackles his final year with 3 sacks and 2 ff.

this guy has a ton of upside...he's 25 right now and he's been in the league for 6 seasons...I would really really target this kid. he's shown he has the talent and ability, and for two seasons with the texans started all 16 games and was actually starting to become as good as billed. i think getting released set him back a little.

we could get him for very little money, he signed with the bears for one year at 1.4 mil, he would fit our cap, is the type of player reese loves, and is still exceptionally young and could become a dominant player...

but i'd like gmen0820's opinion, he's the best player evaluator i know of around here...

giantsfan420
03-08-2012, 12:53 AM
Doubt we have the cap space. It just depends what happens with Canty. I believe the gmen are high on Austin as well.

we can afford 1.4 mil a season, prob would even be cheaper now as he didnt have a good season with chicago...def. worth a look. still so young but has nfl experience, it'd be up to our coaching staff to get him playing at his talent level

NY_Eli
03-08-2012, 12:57 AM

we can afford 1.4 mil a season, prob would even be cheaper now as he didnt have a good season with chicago...def. worth a look. still so young but has nfl experience, it'd be up to our coaching staff to get him playing at his talent level

Eh I don't know, I have trouble seeing it happen. I think they'll save DT issues for the draft. Canty is only 29 you know.

giantsfan420
03-08-2012, 12:59 AM
further, all the draft profiles i've read on him talk about him being a student of the game. he was very raw similar to jpp.

scouts consistently compared him to REGGIE WHITE, now im not saying he's anywhere near the caliber player of white, but when scouts say he is very reminiscent of him, that speaks volumes.
cbssports said he will continue to develop physically and mentally throughout his career. he has a ton of positives to his game and a ton of upside.

with our dl, and our coaching staff, i honestly could see him playing up to his potential.

and at 1.4 mil???? thats about a good an example of low risk high reward as u'll find.

giantsfan420
03-08-2012, 01:01 AM

Eh I don't know, I have trouble seeing it happen. I think they'll save DT issues for the draft. Canty is only 29 you know.

oh dont get me wrong, im not gonna say anyones opinion on the kid is wrong. i'm just saying he's super young, amazing talent and upside, very cheap considering his upside, and all the scouting reports i've seen say he is raw but extremely talented and will continue to develop. and that he's a student of the game and will take the info on the chalkboard to the field...he just strikes me as the kinda player reese loves, amazing talent, very young, amazing upside, and potential to be a top 5 dt...he did have to exceptional seasons as a texan, they just had so much money tied up to their dl they decided to release him...we'll see but wouldnt surprise me at all for reese to work him out...

BlueBlooded1979
03-08-2012, 01:34 AM
Looks don't say everything but he never looks like he is in great shape. He was very average in houston and chicago. If he comes cheap he is worth taking a flyer on but he is effectively a bust.
This is a deep DT class this year with up to 6 having first rounds grades. I would expect one of them to fall to 32 and the Giants will pounce on that.

myles2424
03-08-2012, 01:52 AM
Doubt we have the cap space. It just depends what happens with Canty. I believe the gmen are high on Austin as well. realistically, I wouldn't expect much from Austin this season......
And Bernard most likely is a cap casualty.

MattMeyerBud
03-08-2012, 09:29 AM

I always liked Okoye

But he also didn't have any success in his first 4 years in Houston when they did run the 4-3

but I can't see us spending money on a DT

nygsb42champs
03-08-2012, 09:37 AM
If he does not want a ton of money I would give him a look.

Warchild
03-18-2012, 04:14 PM
bump

NYG4lifeNYK
03-18-2012, 05:35 PM
Why would we need a DT?

DT is our deepest position with Austin coming back. Not a chance we even look at this kid. I used to like him as well. Used to.

myles2424
03-18-2012, 08:44 PM
Why would we need a DT?

DT is our deepest position with Austin coming back. Not a chance we even look at this kid. I used to like him as well. Used to.
Bernard is gone...canty,Joseph & Austin hasn't played football in 2 years and is right off IR......your comfortable with that?

RoanokeFan
03-18-2012, 08:51 PM

I suspect Reese is looking ahead to prevent Nicks and Cruz from becoming free agents. To do that, based on WR money scales right now, he is going to have to do more than trim a little fat off the payroll. We've seen how difficult it is to make significant CAP space in one season and we will need to do better to keep them both.

If we need a DT in the first round and Devon Still is there, he's our man.

giantyankee1976
03-18-2012, 09:05 PM
I rather see what Austin does, sure Okoye as a Giant adds depth and more inside push, but I keep feeling like he's more hype than production.

gmen0820
03-18-2012, 09:31 PM
This is as low risk, high reward as it can really get. You don't have to pay this kid that much, he signed for 1 year and less than 2 mil last year and did nothing really too noticeably improve his draft stock.

He played a solid amount of snaps last year. Too put it in perspective, he played more than Tolly, but a little less than Linval Joseph. He is still young, and the way I see it, he still has room to improve, especially with a supporting DL like ours. Furthermore, another thing that I like is that he is very well conditioned, which although people might take for granted, is nice out of a DT. He has nice size for a 3T, and his height-weight combo is essentially that of Warren Sapp's for all those measurable junkies out there.

He is a pretty well rounded player, he can play the run and provide pressure as well, and unless everyone is okay with a 2 year removed from football Austin and Bernard as your backup, we need to address DT in some capacity.

If he comes cheap, I'm open to it. Week 17 of last year, Chicago vs Minnesota, I would watch that game if you want to see Okoye play well. I was able to catch that game before the showdown vs Dallas and I was really impressed with Okoye who predominately lined up against Julius Peppers, and he looked really good in all aspects of his game, he only finished with two tackles, but for the most part, he was in the backfield a lot and definitely making a presence with his 1 on 1 match ups he was getting next to Peppers.

Low risk high reward, so really, you're banking on his potential, which from what I've seen can still be tapped,. Plus here, he won't be relegated to just one good DE, he has them on both sides, and I think he could excel in our scheme, we like our 3Ts and I think Okoye's athleticism would be a good attribute for when we run stunts. He's a seasoned vet in a 25 year olds body, that doesn't come along often.

giantsfan420
03-19-2012, 05:20 AM
This is as low risk, high reward as it can really get. You don't have to pay this kid that much, he signed for 1 year and less than 2 mil last year and did nothing really too noticeably improve his draft stock.

He played a solid amount of snaps last year. Too put it in perspective, he played more than Tolly, but a little less than Linval Joseph. He is still young, and the way I see it, he still has room to improve, especially with a supporting DL like ours. Furthermore, another thing that I like is that he is very well conditioned, which although people might take for granted, is nice out of a DT. He has nice size for a 3T, and his height-weight combo is essentially that of Warren Sapp's for all those measurable junkies out there.

He is a pretty well rounded player, he can play the run and provide pressure as well, and unless everyone is okay with a 2 year removed from football Austin and Bernard as your backup, we need to address DT in some capacity.

If he comes cheap, I'm open to it. Week 17 of last year, Chicago vs Minnesota, I would watch that game if you want to see Okoye play well. I was able to catch that game before the showdown vs Dallas and I was really impressed with Okoye who predominately lined up against Julius Peppers, and he looked really good in all aspects of his game, he only finished with two tackles, but for the most part, he was in the backfield a lot and definitely making a presence with his 1 on 1 match ups he was getting next to Peppers.

Low risk high reward, so really, you're banking on his potential, which from what I've seen can still be tapped,. Plus here, he won't be relegated to just one good DE, he has them on both sides, and I think he could excel in our scheme, we like our 3Ts and I think Okoye's athleticism would be a good attribute for when we run stunts. He's a seasoned vet in a 25 year olds body, that doesn't come along often.

I was on board before now I may have to add him to my dream offseason aquisition. U confirmed what I said earlier in the thread. He's still so yyoung, he came into the league at 19the I believe. Plus, should he work out wed have leverage with canty and his contraxt even tho I love what canty brings. Our dl rotation would be unreal. Our second unit would be better than most teams starting unit

Warchild
04-06-2012, 10:20 AM
bump

FourthAndOne
04-06-2012, 03:02 PM
Quick google search shows that other teams (Bengals, Bucs, Broncos) are showing some interest. I wouldn't mind the Giants signing him for cheap - even if he doesn't pan out to be a starter he can provide backup. And if he does play well, then great.