PDA

View Full Version : Linval Joesph 5th best run defender at DT

Redeyejedi
03-08-2012, 09:14 AM
Linval Joesph 5th best run defender at DT According to Pro Football Focus . Only posting this because of who is on the bottom are old friend Barry Coefield.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/03/08/2011-run-stop-percentage-interior-defensive-linemen/

Coefield finished 46th out of the 47 DT's that qualified.

LT_was_good
03-08-2012, 09:15 AM
And Reese wins again.

buddy33
03-08-2012, 09:18 AM
Reese has been doing such a good job. That is why I'm not so worried about when guys leave. I trust Reese can draft guys to replace them.

nygsb42champs
03-08-2012, 09:23 AM
I thought he had a nice year and we did not miss Coefield at all.

nycsportzfan
03-08-2012, 09:23 AM
Linval Joesph 5th best run defender at DT According to Pro Football Focus . Only posting this because of who is on the bottom are old friend Barry Coefield. http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/03/08/2011-run-stop-percentage-interior-defensive-linemen/ Coefield finished 46th out of the 47 DT's that qualified. As a huge Linval guy coming out of college, its no surprise to me to see him do what hes done all ready, and to be honest, i expect him to make a few more plays a yr on the QB and getting RB's in the backfield going forward.. At E.Carolina, he not only clogged lanes, but was quite nimble for a big man and made plays... I expect him to make more of those kinda plays with the EXP hes now gained...

bLuereverie
03-08-2012, 09:46 AM
I knew Raji was bad, but didn't know he was that bad this year. He's nothing without Cullen.

I still give Cofield a break since he's learning to play the nose in a new system.

timmytimm3
03-08-2012, 09:51 AM
If we can get Austin in the rotation our defensive line will be even better.

I can't imagine if we had a healthy Austin, Osi and Tuck all year.

RagTime Blue
03-08-2012, 09:54 AM
I think that if ANYONE could hold-out and win on the Giants, it's Linval Joseph (and Eli). We have NOBODY who can physically do what he does.

Redeyejedi
03-08-2012, 10:25 AM
Linval Joesph 5th best run defender at DT According to Pro Football Focus . Only posting this because of who is on the bottom are old friend Barry Coefield. http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/03/08/2011-run-stop-percentage-interior-defensive-linemen/ Coefield finished 46th out of the 47 DT's that qualified.* As a huge Linval guy coming out of college, its no surprise to me to see him do what hes done all ready, and to be honest, i expect him to make a few more plays a yr on the QB and getting RB's in the backfield going forward.. At E.Carolina, he not only clogged lanes, but was quite nimble for a big man and made plays... I expect him to make more of those kinda plays with the EXP hes now gained... Think he will become a Star next year. Fans around the NFL will learn his name

ny06
03-08-2012, 11:34 AM
Way to go Linval. Glad his play is being noticed against the run. Guy will be a real good d-tackle for many years. </P>

Without looking at the list I knew Brodrick Bunkley was going to be high on the list; I thought the Eagles made a huge mistake letting him go last season. Guy was a big reason we could never run up the middle on the Eagles. </P>

RoanokeFan
03-08-2012, 11:43 AM
Fantastic. Let's hope Marvin Austin is another one of "Jerry's Kids."

egyptian420
03-08-2012, 12:03 PM
Linval was a tackle machine last season. I actually picked him up in my fantasy near the end of the season.

I still don't understand why so many people want us to take a DT. We got Linval, Canty, and Austin who could also be a major factor next year.

Raptor22
03-08-2012, 06:18 PM
Linval was a tackle machine last season. I actually picked him up in my fantasy near the end of the season.

I still don't understand why so many people want us to take a DT. We got Linval, Canty, and Austin who could also be a major factor next year.

Well, this years DT class is really good and there could be a guy who would normally be a top 10-15 pick sitting there at 32. Also, we you never know where injuries will strike why not get the best talent you can wherever you can?

jjj45
03-08-2012, 06:47 PM
Really glad this thread was made. Linval is probably the most underrated player of this SB team.

Itlan
03-08-2012, 06:58 PM
Really glad this thread was made. Linval is probably the most underrated player of this SB team.

Kenny Phillips, but yeah, Linval is a beast. Glad he's anchoring the middle.

jjj45
03-08-2012, 07:00 PM

Kenny Phillips, but yeah, Linval is a beast. Glad he's anchoring the middle.Theres no denying that point. But I've have heard Kenny's name mentioned more around here than Joseph's.

nycsportzfan
03-08-2012, 07:12 PM
Linval Joesph 5th best run defender at DT According to Pro Football Focus . Only posting this because of who is on the bottom are old friend Barry Coefield. http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/03/08/2011-run-stop-percentage-interior-defensive-linemen/ Coefield finished 46th out of the 47 DT's that qualified. As a huge Linval guy coming out of college, its no surprise to me to see him do what hes done all ready, and to be honest, i expect him to make a few more plays a yr on the QB and getting RB's in the backfield going forward.. At E.Carolina, he not only clogged lanes, but was quite nimble for a big man and made plays... I expect him to make more of those kinda plays with the EXP hes now gained... Think he will become a Star next year. Fans around the NFL will learn his name agreed.

RoanokeFan
03-08-2012, 07:47 PM
Reese has been doing such a good job. That is why I'm not so worried about when guys leave. I trust Reese can draft guys to replace them.

Who is this and what have you done with my friend Buddy? [;)]

Coach Carter
03-08-2012, 08:41 PM

Who is this and what have you done with my friend Buddy?* [;)]

Exactly, the Buddy33 I know overreacts to everything.

JJC7301
03-08-2012, 11:32 PM
+1. The best GM in the game. Joseph was such a great pick. Funny how our # 2 picks (sans Sintim) always seem to be so damn good.

JJC7301
03-08-2012, 11:32 PM
+1. The best GM in the game. Joseph was such a great pick. Funny how our # 2 picks (sans Sintim) always seem to be so damn good.

PRFan
03-09-2012, 12:27 AM

Austin didn't exactly 'contribute' this year but I have faith in him!

Vtgmenfan89
03-09-2012, 11:10 AM
Joseph 2011: 49 tackles 2 sacks 4 pass def

Cofield 2010: 54 tackles 4 sacks 4 pass def 1 FF

Cofield had just slightly more production, but now that JPP has developed we don't need as many sacks from our tackles nor does he get quite as many reps on passing downs. So I think he replaced him just about as good as we could ask! I think he will continue to develop into a very solid DT for years to come

03-09-2012, 11:15 AM
hey raptor22 your sig is frickin' awesome!

T-Murda84
03-09-2012, 11:29 AM
ProFootballFocus has always done a terrible job at rating offensive and defensive linemen. Cofield is a 3-4 Nose Tackle who has to fight double teams and hold his ground. This article only represents DT's who actually make plays on the ball carrier. Cofield was better than Joseph when he was a Giant. Cofield rushed the passer better and shut down the run better with a weaker linebacker core than we had this year. (Ummm remember Danny Clark and Kiwi getting hurt). Thank you try again.

JJC7301
03-09-2012, 11:32 AM

We'll see what Austin's got (missing 2 years in a row is just not good, though). I still like the pick for now.

2nd rounders since 2003: Osi, Snee, Webster, TT, Joseph, SS, Austin (jury out), Beatty (ok --not great but not a bust), Sintim (strike out) -- that's a good track record.

And our 1STs since 2004: Eli / Rivers, Kiwi, Ross, Phillips, Nicks, JPP, Prince (jury still out)

SS is the only one not on the team (and that was because of injury, otherwise he would have been resigned) and Sintim was the only miss.

Jury out on last year's 1 & 2 (Prince & Austin). When they come back, it's going to be like getting extra 1st and 2nd round picks this year.

Overall, that's a damn good track record. I love our GM and FO and drafting philosophy. Stick to your guns, JR!

egyptian420
03-09-2012, 11:39 AM

We'll see what Austin's got (missing 2 years in a row is just not good, though). I still like the pick for now.

2nd rounders since 2003: Osi, Snee, Webster, TT, Joseph, SS, Austin (jury out), Beatty (ok --not great but not a bust), Sintim (strike out) -- that's a good track record.

And our 1STs since 2004: Eli / Rivers, Kiwi, Ross, Phillips, Nicks, JPP, Prince (jury still out)

SS is the only one not on the team (and that was because of injury, otherwise he would have been resigned) and Sintim was the only miss.

Jury out on last year's 1 &amp; 2 (Prince &amp; Austin). When they come back, it's going to be like getting extra 1st and 2nd round picks this year.

Overall, that's a damn good track record. I love our GM and FO and drafting philosophy. Stick to your guns, JR!
Jerry has been the GM since 07

JJC7301
03-09-2012, 11:45 AM

Jury out on last year's 1 & 2 (Prince & Austin). When they come back, it's going to be like getting extra 1st and 2nd round picks this year.

Jerry has been the GM since 07

You're right -- I mistakenly forgot to give props to Accorsi. Two great GMs with great drafting philosophies. I love the Giants style.

JJC7301
03-09-2012, 11:47 AM
ProFootballFocus has always done a terrible job at rating offensive and defensive linemen. Cofield is a 3-4 Nose Tackle who has to fight double teams and hold his ground. This article only represents DT's who actually make plays on the ball carrier. Cofield was better than Joseph when he was a Giant. Cofield rushed the passer better and shut down the run better with a weaker linebacker core than we had this year. (Ummm remember Danny Clark and Kiwi getting hurt). Thank you try again.
I never wanted Cofield to leave, but Joseph is only getting better.

Canty played well this year, but he makes the same money as Cofield. With that, I'd rather have Cofield than Canty, but I'm glad we got Joseph.

burier
03-09-2012, 12:17 PM
I thought he had a nice year and we did not miss Coefield at all.

actually we did miss Cofield dearly.

Incosistent DT play lead to poor run defense.

Kruunch
03-09-2012, 12:55 PM
Linval Joesph 5th best run defender at DT According to Pro Football Focus . Only posting this because of who is on the bottom are old friend Barry Coefield.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/03/08/2011-run-stop-percentage-interior-defensive-linemen/

I like what profootballfocus is trying to do but its a bunch of couch potatoes trying to grade positions they obviously know nothing about.

I hate their Oline and Dline stats ... garbage.

myles2424
03-09-2012, 02:04 PM

I like what profootballfocus is trying to do but its a bunch of couch potatoes trying to grade positions they obviously know nothing about.

I hate their Oline and Dline stats ... garbage. yea....I like joseph,but you can't argue how good a player is based on these stats.....kinda like when people argue Goff is one of the Best run stopping LBs in the league

Kase-1
03-09-2012, 02:20 PM

I hate their Oline and Dline stats ... garbage.I dont see why you hate it so much, just because it isnt a bunch of former players, coaches, and FO guys doesnt mean they cant come up with good stats and means of rating players.

Im sure Trent Dilfer and Deion Sanders didnt come up with the QB Rating System, if anything it was probably a bunch of nerds messing around with a program they created on their computer

http://www.moviemobsters.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/nerds_l.jpg