PDA

View Full Version : Nick Perry (DE) USC

heavyhitter
03-08-2012, 09:46 AM
<font size="2">Am I the only one on these boards who thinks Nick Perry is a legit 4-3 pass rushing DE? The guy has got a great first step (like Osi) and real quick off the ball. He's not only a speed rusher, he can bull rush, swim, spin, rip, ect. Perry has got some nice moves and uses his hands well too. I was watching "path to the draft" the other day and Casserly has got him projected as a late 1st/early 2nd. Then another one of the analyst at his pro day came on &amp; projected him as a mid 2nd rounder. If Perry is still on the board at #32 overall by some chance, I'd snatch him up in a heartbeat. Thoughts on Nick Perry?</font>

Shockeyitus
03-08-2012, 10:12 AM
He seems like one of those "workout warriors". I think there are better options at #32.

heavyhitter
03-08-2012, 10:41 AM
He seems like one of those "workout warriors". I think there are better options at #32.<font size="2">He's much more than a "workout warrior". Perry is the best pure pass rusher in this DE class IMO. Go watch some tape on the guy and tell me he can't play football. This guy can get after the QB and wreak havoc. You say better options, who do you recommend?</font>

NewYorkSwagg
03-08-2012, 10:59 AM
BRO HE IS NOT GOING TO BE THERE AT 32 SO DON'T WORRY TO MUCH ABOUT IT. JUST LOOK FOR A OL, MLB OR TE.

eastbayblue
03-08-2012, 11:02 AM
He ran a 4.9 at the combine Mayock said he thinks the is a second round talent.
Definitely not going to be the BPA at #32.

heavyhitter
03-08-2012, 11:05 AM
BRO HE IS NOT GOING TO BE THERE AT 32 SO DON'T WORRY TO MUCH ABOUT IT. JUST LOOK FOR A OL, MLB OR TE.<font size="2">I don't think he will either, just shows how much game and swagg Nick Perry really does have. I've got a SIG BET on this guy that he'll have more sacks than Whitney Mercilus in 2012. What do you think?</font>

heavyhitter
03-08-2012, 11:16 AM
He ran a 4.9 at the combine Mayock said he thinks the is a second round talent.
Definitely not going to be the BPA at #32.
<font size="2">You must be thinking of someone else my man cause Nick Perry lit up the combine. As far as what Mayock said, pretty sure it was late 1st/early second.
</font><table class="tableizer-table"><tbody><tr class="tableizer-firstrow"><th><font size="2">Nick Perry Combine Results</font></th></tr>
<tr>
<td><font size="2">4.64 40 yard dash</font></td></tr>
<tr>
<td><font size="2">35 bench reps of 225 pounds</font></td></tr>
<tr>
<td><font size="2">38.5 inch vertical jump</font></td></tr>
<tr>
<td><font size="2">124 inch broad jump</font></td></tr>
<tr>
<td><font size="2">7.25 3 cone drill</font></td></tr>
<tr>
<td><font size="2">4.66 20 yard shuttle</font></td></tr></tbody></table>

Raptor22
03-08-2012, 11:27 AM
Personally, I really like Perry at 32. He's got all the physical tools to be a good 43 end. He's got the height/weight/speed/arms the Giants covet. Imo all he needs is coaching (I found that when he faced quality tackles he allowed himself to be re-routed and pushed out of the play. That'll come with coaching, and what better place?). He's already stout against the run for a college DE.

I think he has the tools/upside to make a frightening LDE to JPP's RDE.

Shockeyitus
03-08-2012, 11:32 AM
He seems like one of those "workout warriors". I think there are better options at #32.<font size="2">He's much more than a "workout warrior". Perry is the best pure pass rusher in this DE class IMO. Go watch some tape on the guy and tell me he can't play football. This guy can get after the QB and wreak havoc. You say better options, who do you recommend?</font>

Better Options for the Giants at #32

RB - Lamar Miller
WR - Alshon Jeffrey
TE - Coby Fleener, Orson Charles
OG - Cordy Glenn
OT - Mike Adams, Jonathan Martin
ILB - Donta Hightower
DT - Fletcher Cox

All better options at #32 than Nick Perry

myles2424
03-08-2012, 04:34 PM
I think we can all agree it'll be a pick none of us expected.....I've learned to not even try to figure these things out,just let it happen...

Neverend
03-08-2012, 08:03 PM
That's the problem -- he's a lot like Osi heheh

I think he'll be a good pro though

heavyhitter
03-08-2012, 08:05 PM
<font size="2">This guy says Perry goes "top to middle of the 2nd round"- </font>
<h3 class="headline">USC pro day report (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/09000d5d82773776/USC-pro-day-report)</h3>

GMENAGAIN
03-08-2012, 08:13 PM
Mayock didn't seem that crazy about him . . . . said that he had limited athleticism. That doesn't sound like a Giants first round pick.

Neverend
03-09-2012, 03:25 PM
Mayock didn't seem that crazy about him . . . . said that he had limited athleticism.* That doesn't sound like a Giants first round pick.

He's tight and stiff in the hips. But hes a good football athlete required for his current position (DE) as he's quick, flexible and explosive off the edge. He just isn't fluid as a linebacker. But, as his combine proves, hes certainly a good athlete in his own right

But I don't see the giants drafting him though

michaelkhan3
03-11-2012, 05:17 PM
I think he is very good, one of the best 43 DE's in this draft I would definitely be happy if we take him at 32. He gets good pressure almost every down. I watched his tape against Washington where he was going up against Kelemete (who is an NFL caliber player and will be drafted even if its to play at G instead of LT) and Perry was getting consistent pressure within 3 seconds of the snaps

heavyhitter
03-12-2012, 08:37 PM
Mayock didn't seem that crazy about him . . . . said that <font size="3">he had limited athleticism</font>. That doesn't sound like a Giants first round pick.<font size="2">Nick Perry is a freakish athlete &amp; I think most others would agree. I don't remember Mayock saying any of this. At the combine he ran a 4.64 40, 10"4 broad jump, 35 reps on the bench (225 lbs), and damn near jumped out the building w/ his vertical (38.5). I'd say that qualifies as pretty athletic for a 6"3, 271 lb DE. I see him as a 43 DE, but some scouts say his pure athleticism gives him a shot at being a 3-4 outside linebacker. This guy is the real deal IMO-</font>

Captain Chaos
03-12-2012, 08:46 PM
No thanks....

More pressing needs

heavyhitter
03-12-2012, 08:59 PM
No thanks....

More pressing needs<font size="2">Yea, there are more pressing needs, but it all depends what the board looks like when pick 32 comes around. You don't want to go reach for an OT, RB, TE, or even LB. I actually think a really good CB may be available around pick 32. It's all about BPA, that's how Reese &amp; Co. roll and I don't expect any different this draft. </font>

Raptor22
03-12-2012, 09:09 PM
Mayock didn't seem that crazy about him . . . . said that <font size="3">he had limited athleticism</font>. That doesn't sound like a Giants first round pick.<font size="2">Nick Perry is a freakish athlete &amp; I think most others would agree. I don't remember Mayock saying any of this. At the combine he ran a 4.64 40, 10"4 broad jump, 35 reps on the bench (225 lbs), and damn near jumped out the building w/ his vertical (38.5). I'd say that qualifies as pretty athletic for a 6"3, 271 lb DE. I see him as a 43 DE, but some scouts say his pure athleticism gives him a shot at being a 3-4 outside linebacker. This guy is the real deal IMO-</font>

Personally, I don't see OLB at all. To my eye he just doesn't have the hips to drop in coverage like a 34 OLB has to do.

On the flip side, I see nothing BUT a 34 OLB in Andre Branch. IMO, he's more than got the fluidity for it, but he's too narrow to put his hand in the dirt more than once in a blue moon.

Mercilus is right in between. He's got the fluidity to drop into coverage some, but stout enough to put his hand in the dirt and throw down at the LOS.

heavyhitter
03-12-2012, 09:22 PM

Personally, I don't see OLB at all. To my eye he just doesn't have the hips to drop in coverage like a 34 OLB has to do.

On the flip side, I see nothing BUT a 34 OLB in Andre Branch. IMO, he's more than got the fluidity for it, but he's too narrow to put his hand in the dirt more than once in a blue moon.

Mercilus is right in between. He's got the fluidity to drop into coverage some, but stout enough to put his hand in the dirt and throw down at the LOS.
Yeah, I don't see Perry as an OLB in the NFL, strictly 43 DE IMO. Branch &amp; Mercilus might have better luck playing OLB in a 34. What about Ingram or Curry, where do you see them playing at the next level?

Raptor22
03-12-2012, 10:05 PM

Yeah, I don't see Perry as an OLB in the NFL, strictly 43 DE IMO. Branch &amp; Mercilus might have better luck playing OLB in a 34. What about Ingram or Curry, where do you see them playing at the next level?

Ingram reminds me a lot of Tuck, and he could probably move all over the place in the right defense... but I think his arm length (or lack thereof) would make LB his primary position. He might have problems against some of the top-level tackles (getting off blocks, using his hands, that sort of thing) in the trenches.

I haven't watched enough Curry as I'd like... but I that he either starts out as a situational passrusher at either DE or OLB. Kinda like how the 9'ers used Aldon Smith.

Edit: By the by, if they want a later round DE, I really like Tyrone Crawford (DE-Boise St.). Similar mold to JPP (not the same level of freakish athleticism): Good athlete, long arms, strong, fast, non-stop motor, but VERY raw.

michaelkhan3
03-13-2012, 07:51 AM

Ingram reminds me a lot of Tuck, and he could probably move all over the place in the right defense... but I think his arm length (or lack thereof) would make LB his primary position. He might have problems against some of the top-level tackles (getting off blocks, using his hands, that sort of thing) in the trenches.

I haven't watched enough Curry as I'd like... but I that he either starts out as a situational passrusher at either DE or OLB. Kinda like how the 9'ers used Aldon Smith.

Edit: By the by, if they want a later round DE, I really like Tyrone Crawford (DE-Boise St.). Similar mold to JPP (not the same level of freakish athleticism): Good athlete, long arms, strong, fast, non-stop motor, but VERY raw.

Crawford looks like he could turn out to be a very good player. He has an 80'' wingspan JPPs is 81 and Crawford is also an inch shorter so that's impressive. If he gives the effort JPP gives every down and in training he could turn out to be a great player.

nycsportzfan
03-13-2012, 08:34 AM
Mayock didn't seem that crazy about him . . . . said that <FONT size=3>he had limited athleticism</FONT>. That doesn't sound like a Giants first round pick.<FONT size=2>Nick Perry is a freakish athlete &amp; I think most others would agree. I don't remember Mayock saying any of this. At the combine he ran a 4.64 40, 10"4 broad jump, 35 reps on the bench (225 lbs), and damn near jumped out the building w/ his vertical (38.5). I'd say that qualifies as pretty athletic for a 6"3, 271 lb DE. I see him as a 43 DE, but some scouts say his pure athleticism gives him a shot at being a 3-4 outside linebacker. This guy is the real deal IMO-</FONT>

Crawford looks like he could turn out to be a very good player. He has an 80'' wingspan JPPs is 81 and Crawford is also an inch shorter so that's impressive. If he gives the effort JPP gives every down and in training he could turn out to be a great player.
I remember when i first started noticing crawford, i wondered why he was perdicted to go in like RD 6 or 7, with his production and size, and then eventually he started gaining some steam, and now is a RD 4-5 type guy, which still may be a bit further down then he deserves.. I think hes a Justin Tuck type DE, who would be perfect opposite JPP down the line... Hes got a non stop motor, unlimited strength, and very good explosion... He dosent have a ton of Expierence, but in a rotation, i'm sure he could help fairly early on....

Neverend
03-13-2012, 08:39 AM
Out of the really long armed pass rushers, I like Crawford much better than Chandler Jones, who I think might bust in the nfl. Once you coach crawford out on technique and combine that with his amazing motor and talents.. watch out

Raptor22
03-13-2012, 08:44 AM

I remember when i first started noticing crawford, i wondered why he was perdicted to go in like RD 6 or 7, with his production and size, and then eventually he started gaining some steam, and now is a RD 4-5 type guy, which still may be a bit further down then he deserves.. I think hes a Justin Tuck type DE, who would be perfect opposite JPP down the line... Hes got a non stop motor, unlimited strength, and very good explosion... He dosent have a ton of Expierence, but in a rotation, i'm sure he could help fairly early on....

He definitely deserves to go higher than ~4, but I can see why scouts/GM's/Gurus would under-value him.:1) He's from Canadia, 2) only 1 year experience, 3) He 1 year experience at Boise St.

Three big knocks on him... Undeserved, but still there. If we could grab him in the 4th... HOLY CARP STEAL!

Just more ammo for everyone who thinks the Giants are lucky [;)]