PDA

View Full Version : Preliminary playoff scenario

repeatchamps
12-06-2011, 02:53 PM
Obviously the easiest way for the Giants to make the playoffs is to sweep Dallas and win one of the Jets and Skins games. This will give them division title.</P>

Other Division title scenarios:</P>

If the Giants win this week, against the Skins and against the Jets and Dallas loses to Philly, the Giants clinch the division before Week 17's rematch against Dallas making that game in all likelihoodmeaningless for the Giants. This occurs due to the common opponent edge being tipped in the Giants favor over the Cowboys if this scenario plays out.</P>

Wild Card:</P>

The Giants under no circumstances can end up in a 9-7 tie with either Chicago, Detroit or Atlanta. If they all tie or2 otherteams tie at 9-7 with the Giants, I am pretty sure the Giants willlose all tiebreakers in those scenarios as well. Basically if the Giants split with Dallas, beat the Skins &amp; Jetsand Dallas beats Phillybut loses to Tampa (or wins obviously), Dallas wins the division and the Giants have to hope two of Atlanta, Detroit and Chicago go 1-3 to finish 8-8 behind the Giants at 9-7. </P>

If they all tie at or if there are ties of any kindat 8-8 or 7-9, well good luck trying to figure that insanity out, lol.[*-)]</P>

SIMMS5611
12-06-2011, 03:07 PM
To quote the late, great Al Davis..."Just win, Baby."

repeatchamps
12-06-2011, 03:09 PM
To quote the late, great Al Davis..."Just win, Baby."</P>

Agreed.</P>

RonJon
12-06-2011, 03:18 PM
right now, they trail in the conference record tiebreaker. All 6 losses by the Giants have come within the conference. Atlanta has 4 conference losses, Detroit 5 Don't really know how the next tiebreaker, record in common games, looks right now

repeatchamps
12-06-2011, 03:24 PM
right now, they trail in the conference record tiebreaker. All 6 losses by the Giants have come within the conference. Atlanta has 4 conference losses, Detroit 5 Don't really know how the next tiebreaker, record in common games, looks right now</P>

If any of those three teams win enough games to go 9-7, the Giants cannot make up enough ground to have a better or same conference record than any of them sadly which is why theymay lose the wild card tie breaker if they're tied with those teams at 9-7.</P>

Actually after further reviewit turns out that Atlanta and Detroit could end with the same conference record as the Giants so perhaps the tie-breaker would be more favorable than we realize. If Atlanta ends with the same conference record as the Giants, they'd be 8-8.</P>

BlueBlooded1979
12-06-2011, 03:27 PM
To quote the late, great Al Davis..."Just win, Baby."</P>

Agreed.</P>

If we are quoting Al Davis can we please add ?

"The quarterback must got down and he must go down hard"

dave8274
12-06-2011, 04:22 PM
If the Giants don't go 10-6, they don't deserve to be in the playoffs IMO.

BigBlue2010
12-06-2011, 05:48 PM
As far as our ticket is concerned, I'm only concerned about ourselves. The only other thing I'm paying attention to is NO & SF. I really don't want SF to lose the second seed because I want them home in a potential divisional matchup with the saints.

EJ Blue
12-06-2011, 05:51 PM
If the Giants don't go 10-6, they don't deserve to be in the playoffs IMO.

you kidding me? I expect them to beat NYJ and WAS but Dallas is a good team, it won't be shocking if we split the series with them.

JMFP2
12-06-2011, 06:17 PM
Bears games remaining

@Broncos
SEAHAWKS
@Packers
@Vikings

.....without Cutler or Forte, Bears might finish 8-8.
---------------
Falcons games remaining
@Panthers
JAGUARS
@Saints
BUCCANEERS

...outside of Saints, probably 3 winnable games there....have to think they have an inside track.
------------------
Detroit games remaining

VIKINGS
@Raiders
CHARGERS
@Packers

....Packers might be playing for perfect season, but if not that might be scrub city. Still, outside chance they go 1-3, especially if Packers have motivation is season finale.

OrangeGiant
12-06-2011, 07:27 PM
Would anyone be surprised if Chicago and Detroit don't win another game? Both these teams are in a freefall and1-3 over the last4 gamesfor each of them at this point is a very real possibility, almost probable. I'd rather the Giants just win the division and finish strong, but I like the chances for a wildcard if they don't.

SIMMS5611
12-06-2011, 10:54 PM
I HATE thinking about the ways the G's can back into the playoffs. IF the Giants land a layoff berth, regardless of how they get in, I can already hear the pundits claiming them to be the weakest playoff team, lucky to be there, soon to be one & done, etc, etc. That being said, I'd much rather see them get in by punching their final 4 opponents in the mouth, building momentum, & getting in the heads of their potential playoff opponents as a team they will be sincerely concerned about playing, instead of the weakest team in the hunt, who should just consider themselves lucky enough to even make the playoffs...

JMFP2
12-06-2011, 11:31 PM
I HATE thinking about the ways the G's can back into the playoffs. IF the Giants land a layoff berth, regardless of how they get in, I can already hear the pundits claiming them to be the weakest playoff team, lucky to be there, soon to be one &amp; done, etc, etc. That being said, I'd much rather see them get in by punching their final 4 opponents in the mouth, building momentum, &amp; getting in the heads of their potential playoff opponents as a team they will be sincerely concerned about playing, instead of the weakest team in the hunt, who should just consider themselves lucky enough to even make the playoffs...</P>

Iagree....win the next 4, get the division, win a home playoff game, and then head back to Lambeau for a rematch....that would be pretty intense.</P>