PDA

View Full Version : Complaints about Webster's, Rolle's or Canty's Contract

Drez
03-08-2012, 08:58 PM
If anyone has any complaints about Webster's, Rolle's, or Canty's contracts need to look no further than this to realize that they have nothing to ***** about:</P>

<SPAN style="WIDOWS: 2; TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(255,255,255); TEXT-INDENT: 0px; DISPLAY: inline !important; FONT: 12px/16px verdana, helvetica, arial, sans-serif; WHITE-SPACE: normal; ORPHANS: 2; FLOAT: none; LETTER-SPACING: normal; COLOR: rgb(51,51,51); WORD-SPACING: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px">Also, cornerback<SPAN class=Apple-converted-space></SPAN></SPAN>Orlando Scandrick (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/11366/orlando-scandrick)<SPAN style="WIDOWS: 2; TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(255,255,255); TEXT-INDENT: 0px; DISPLAY: inline !important; FONT: 12px/16px verdana, helvetica, arial, sans-serif; WHITE-SPACE: normal; ORPHANS: 2; FLOAT: none; LETTER-SPACING: normal; COLOR: rgb(51,51,51); WORD-SPACING: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px">, who is scheduled to make a base salary of $7.1 million<SPAN class=Apple-converted-space>(From ESPN)</SPAN></SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="WIDOWS: 2; TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(255,255,255); TEXT-INDENT: 0px; DISPLAY: inline !important; FONT: 12px/16px verdana, helvetica, arial, sans-serif; WHITE-SPACE: normal; ORPHANS: 2; FLOAT: none; LETTER-SPACING: normal; COLOR: rgb(51,51,51); WORD-SPACING: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px"><SPAN class=Apple-converted-space></SPAN></SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="WIDOWS: 2; TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(255,255,255); TEXT-INDENT: 0px; DISPLAY: inline !important; FONT: 12px/16px verdana, helvetica, arial, sans-serif; WHITE-SPACE: normal; ORPHANS: 2; FLOAT: none; LETTER-SPACING: normal; COLOR: rgb(51,51,51); WORD-SPACING: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px"><SPAN class=Apple-converted-space><FONT size=3 face="Times New Roman">That is all.</FONT></SPAN></SPAN></P>

bLuereverie
03-08-2012, 09:04 PM
The league is littered with examples of guys who get paid more but with half of the production.

Webster is an incredible bargain for your primary corner. You'll see some corners asking for 9-10 mil this upcoming free agency.

Flip Empty
03-08-2012, 09:32 PM
These three guys helped win a Super Bowl, so as far as I'm concerned they earned every cent.

Drez
03-08-2012, 09:36 PM
These three guys helped win a Super Bowl, so as far as I'm concerned they earned every cent.</P>

Yeah. But you just hear so much crap about what these guys get paid (more Rolle and Canty), but when you see something like Scandrick having a base salary of $7.1m, it kind of puts things in perspective. Even if we are overpaying them, it isn't by much, and it isn't nearly as horrendous as paying Scandrick $7.1m, lol.</P>

Flip Empty
03-08-2012, 09:48 PM
These three guys helped win a Super Bowl, so as far as I'm concerned they earned every cent.</P>

Yeah. But you just hear so much crap about what these guys get paid (more Rolle and Canty), but when you see something like Scandrick having a base salary of $7.1m, it kind of puts things in perspective. Even if we are overpaying them, it isn't by much, and it isn't nearly as horrendous as paying Scandrick $7.1m, lol.</P>
and Mark Sanchez will earn as much as Eli this year.

egyptian420
03-08-2012, 09:57 PM
The league is littered with examples of guys who get paid more but with half of the production.

Webster is an incredible bargain for your primary corner. You'll see some corners asking for 9-10 mil this upcoming free agency.
+1....I have no problem with Webster's contract, Rolle or Canty should take a paycut though

Flip Empty
03-08-2012, 10:11 PM
The high cap numbers of both Webster and Rolle are a direct result of the restructuring done to their contracts last season. The Giants inflicted this upon themselves. Neither should have to take a pay cut.

Drez
03-08-2012, 10:13 PM
The league is littered with examples of guys who get paid more but with half of the production. Webster is an incredible bargain for your primary corner. You'll see some corners asking for 9-10 mil this upcoming free agency.
+1....I have no problem with Webster's contract, Rolle or Canty should take a paycut though
</P>

Rolle's number is only as big as it is because of his restructure last season. I think it added like 2-3mil to this year. Also, with all we've asked Rolle to do that isn't playing safety, it'd be pretty cheap of the FO to ask him to take a paycut.</P>

Canty is getting paid what DT's of his caliber are getting paid.</P>

Vtgmenfan89
03-08-2012, 10:51 PM
They were big contributors on a defense that didn't allow more than 20 points for 6 straight games and won the super bowl. Definitely no complaining here

Harooni
03-08-2012, 11:05 PM
So what??? others are overpaid does not make it ok.

the problem is not with the money its what the players cap hit is, and for canty and rolle its very high. and frankly it does effect us re-signing others.

Flip Empty
03-08-2012, 11:12 PM

the problem is not with the money its what the players cap hit is, and for canty and rolle its very high. and frankly it does effect us re-signing others.
Why is it not okay? The Giants wanted those two players and they paid what was necessary to acquire them. They knew what they were getting themselves into.
Do you expect the entire team to accept the league minimum or something?

JJC7301
03-08-2012, 11:14 PM
I've got absolutely no problem with Webster's contract. He's one of the top CBs in the league, so he deserves it (I think $8 mil per year).

Canty and Rolle finally played like they deserved the contracts they have. Keep playing like it, and I've got no problem with that either.

Drez
03-08-2012, 11:15 PM
So what??? others are overpaid does not make it ok. the problem is not with the money its what the players cap hit is, and for canty and rolle its very high. and frankly it does effect us re-signing others.</P>

What it does it put their salaries in perspective... Insofar as they're actually not beingoverpaid, or not overpaid by so much as to cause a valid grievance. The guys that we have are getting their fair value. If they are getting more than their fair value, it isn't by much or it's due to prior contract wrangling.</P>

When you have a talented roster you have to pay for it. That's what we have done. Also, mind you, these contracts were written when the salary cap was ~$20m/yr higher than it is now. </P>

Drez
03-08-2012, 11:17 PM
So what??? others are overpaid does not make it ok. the problem is not with the money its what the players cap hit is, and for canty and rolle its very high. and frankly it does effect us re-signing others. Why is it not okay? The Giants wanted those two players and they paid what was necessary to acquire them. They knew what they were getting themselves into. Do you expect the entire team to accept the league minimum or something?</P>

No. Harooni's solution is to cut Rolle (cap savings a mere $3m causing ~$6m in dead money) and sign LaRon Landry, who isn't as good as Rolle and has SERIOUS injury concerns. Mind you Landry will probably want a contract of over $3m a year, so that will actually worsen our cap situation.</P>

slipknottin
03-08-2012, 11:20 PM
Harooni just likes Landry because he saw those recent pictures of him all jacked up.

gmen46
03-08-2012, 11:26 PM
Harooni just likes Landry because he saw those recent pictures of him all jacked up.

Somebody had to say it :)

gmen46
03-08-2012, 11:34 PM

Are you talking in the abstract, or are there specific players you fear we will not be able to sign because of their cap hit?

And if you have specific player(s) in mind, are any of them really worth losing Canty and Rolle for?

Because if you're actually serious, you have to be able to answer that one question. Who would you sign that is so valuable to the team that losing Rolle and/or Canty would be worth the loss?

And if you have no specifics in mind, then keep your own counsel and let Reese do his job.

It's not like we have a different GM who has never gotten us to a championship.

Harooni
03-08-2012, 11:42 PM
i fell like im taking crazy pills!!

in what world is Rolle a 9mill player?

forget landry, there are at least 7-10 pretty good Safeties in FA this season.

just a few months ago you all were calling him a loud mouth that missed tackles., then we win a few games by 3 points and suddenly canty and Rolle are top guys.

and let me tell you this canty isnt even a everydown linemen .

the problem is fans after a SB high can't make the right judgements, its business. for example i would have cut big mac last season. the writing is on the wall when a guy is passed his prime ,you have to let them go.

reese drafts superbly. no need to hold on to 5-7 well overpaid aging guys.

Flip Empty
03-08-2012, 11:46 PM

The world where the Giants restructured his contract that way.
They got relief for one year in exchange for a hit the next.

NYG4lifeNYK
03-08-2012, 11:51 PM
Webster is not overpaid by any means... we're lucky he's only making that much.

Drez
03-09-2012, 12:03 AM
i fell like im taking crazy pills!! in what world is Rolle a 9mill player? forget landry, there are at least 7-10 pretty good Safeties in FA this season. just a few months ago you all were calling him a loud mouth that missed tackles., then we win a few games by 3 points and suddenly canty and Rolle are top guys. and let me tell you this canty isnt even a everydown linemen . the problem is fans after a SB high can't make the right judgements, its business. for example i would have cut big mac last season. the writing is on the wall when a guy is passed his prime ,you have to let them go. reese drafts superbly. no need to hold on to 5-7 well overpaid aging guys.</P>

Rolle is a $6-$8m safety that restructured his contract last season that added another ~$2m to his cap number this year. He's also a safety that's been asked to play nickle corner and hybrid linebacker. Maybe his production would be more to your liking if he actually played safety full time. What safety are we going to get that would be anywhere near as good as Rolle for under $3m? Let's alsonot mention the fact that Rolle has emerged as a locker room and on field leader. What's the price on that? Can that be replaced by a new guy coming in as a FA?</P>

It's also worth mentioning, seeing as you don't get this, that his cap savings is only $3m if we cut him. Any safety that we sign would have to sign for under $3m to see any actual cap relief. Otherwise, we'd actually beworse off this season.Maybe you'd be fine with Michael Johnson or CC Brown playing safety for us next season, but I'm sure as hell not.</P>

For the record, I've always felt that Rolle and Canty were undervalued by the fanbase around here, though I did think that Rolle needed to be more aware of what he was saying to the media.</P>

THE_New_York_Giants
03-09-2012, 12:12 AM
Only one that is grossly overpaid on that list is Canty. He needs about a 4 Mil pay cut. Webster is one of the best shut down corners in the league. Rolle might be overpaid by a 1-2 million, but he is a baller.

jhamburg
03-09-2012, 12:22 AM

just a few months ago you all were calling him a loud mouth that missed tackles., then we win a few games by 3 points and suddenly canty and Rolle are top guys.

the problem is fans after a SB high can't make the right judgements, its business. for example i would have cut big mac last season. the writing is on the wall when a guy is passed his prime ,you have to let them go.

You can't just look at the fact that he's overpaid, you have to look at our options. If we could go back and undo Rolle's contract, we would. But we can't do that, we can either stick it out now that he's playing better in Fewell's system or cut him, take a huge cap hit and spend almost as much money for another guy who will himself take a lot of time to learn our defense.

giantsfan420
03-09-2012, 12:39 AM
Only one that is grossly overpaid on that list is Canty. He needs about a 4 Mil pay cut. Webster is one of the best shut down corners in the league. Rolle might be overpaid by a 1-2 million, but he is a baller.

canty actually earns his salary, or at least did this past season. dt's are tough to gauge bc they rarely have big statistical seasons, although canty did have a pretty solid year in that dept.

canty constantly collapses the pocket, eats double teams, engages OL to get our de's 1v1, is very good against the run, and opens up ally's for the blitzer or our de's to stunt through. i could agree he could be paid a little less, but still, after this past season, i have absolutely no grievance with him. i always supported him and thought he could be a solid presence on our DL, and he absolutely was.

the 6 game win streak that culminated in the SB victory, Canty was a HUGE fixture for our success.

Vs NYJ he had the safety that sealed the win. Vs Dallas he had a sack, and was excellent vs the run. Vs Atlanta, he was excellent vs the run and helped pressure Ryan. Vs GB, he helped Boley get one of his sacks, and also provided the key engaging of the OL that got Osi free for that strip sack. Vs SF he was solid vs the run, and helped to get our DE's free for their sacks/pressures.

He absolutely was playing at another level for that streak, he honestly could earn a bigger contract if he plays like that all season. Canty is a solid fixture on our D and while I do think he is slightly overpaid, not nearly to the point we should entertain cutting him.

Joe Morrison
03-09-2012, 12:51 AM
i fell like im taking crazy pills!! in what world is Rolle a 9mill player? forget landry, there are at least 7-10 pretty good Safeties in FA this season. just a few months ago you all were calling him a loud mouth that missed tackles., then we win a few games by 3 points and suddenly canty and Rolle are top guys. and let me tell you this canty isnt even a everydown linemen . the problem is fans after a SB high can't make the right judgements, its business. for example i would have cut big mac last season. the writing is on the wall when a guy is passed his prime ,you have to let them go. reese drafts superbly. no need to hold on to 5-7 well overpaid aging guys.</P>

Talk about everyone forgetting, how about the fact the Rolle is two time pro bowler and has played out of position due to injuries by other players since he came to the GMEN, hopefully he gets back to where he belongs this year and he can be the player the GMEN wanted when they went and got him.</P>

Little bit of a loud mouth, yes, but put's it all out there every week.</P>

gmen46
03-09-2012, 03:09 AM

So, you are only speaking in the abstract, then?

In what world is Rolle a $9 million player?

I'll tell you what world.

IN A WORLD WHERE THE YEAR PRIOR TO SIGNING ROLLE WE GAVE UP OVER 40 POINTS A GAME IN FIVE GAMES! 218 POINTS IN FIVE ****ING GAMES!!

You apparently, like many on this board, want filet mignon, dining in a nice restaurant, for the price of a Big Mac and super sized fries at the drive-thru. Good ****ing luck.

And, for the record, I was never one to criticize Rolle for any of his comments, or for his play. Never. I just never jumped in on the hysteria surrounding Rolle on this board every time he sneezed, like a bunch of old ladies playing bridge in the Assisted Living home.

As to your snide remark referring to us winning "a few games by 3 points and suddenly Canty and Rolle are top guys"--what games are you referring to? You mean the last 2 games of the season where we defeated the NFC #2 seed by 3 in the NFC Championship game and the AFC #1 seed with the "unbeatable" HC and QB in the Super Bowl?

Or are you referring to the 4 games prior to those 2, where we beat 4 teams in 4 consecutive virtual "win-or-go-home" games by a total of MARGIN of 71 points, averaging a win margin of 17.75 points each game?

NY_Eli
03-09-2012, 05:45 AM
First on Rolle, don't forget he was forced to play the nickel corner very often last year and that is not the position he plays best. But he did an admirable job. Now he'll get to return to the position he likes best.

In general, sorry, Harooni, but you are the one taking crazy pills. Why you would want to cut 5-7 core guys on a team that just won a freaking super bowl is beyond me.

Our cap situation isn't perfect but it's really not that bad, considering we have talented players already on the team. If we had just gone 4-12 and our cap situation was where it is now, I'd be telling Reese to cut the fat paychecks too. But this team gelled last year, I don't know why you would want to break it up. We really don't have huge pressing needs that we need a ton of cap space to fix.

In short, you don't need a ton of cap room when the answer at a position is already on the team.

nygsb42champs
03-09-2012, 09:01 AM
They earned there contracts with there on field play this year and the leadership they showed.

Pakman
03-09-2012, 12:17 PM
Trashing Rolle is the funniest thing I've seen on these boards.

Rolle > Michael Johnson, CC Brown, Will Demps, Shaun Williams, James Butler, Omar Stoudemire, Gibril Wilson, Aaron Ross (when he played safety), Craig Dahl, and whoever else played safety for the giants in the past 10 years.

egyptian420
03-09-2012, 12:22 PM
Trashing Rolle is the funniest thing I've seen on these boards.

Rolle &gt; Michael Johnson, CC Brown, Will Demps, Shaun Williams, James Butler, Omar Stoudemire, Gibril Wilson, Aaron Ross (when he played safety), Craig Dahl, and whoever else played safety for the giants in the past 10 years.
I would definitely not trash him, he's our best safety. I love the guy and want him to be a Giant, but I just don't think he's worth the money he's making, I think a small paycut would be appropriate, nothing too drastic.

JJC7301
03-09-2012, 12:27 PM

I have to admit that I'm on the fence with Rolle and Canty. I'm glad that they finally played better, but I have my doubts that they are worth that much money -- especially Rolle.

But we need a Safety BADLY when we signed Rolle and whose going to take his place if we cut him? Maybe a highly drafted player? I bet that we'll take a S high in the draft this year anyway, we still need depth in the secondary which seems to be a concern every single year on this team.