PDA

View Full Version : Make the case: FOR or AGAINST bringing in this TE

hungrrrry
03-09-2012, 03:44 PM
I want to hear from anyone on this board why we shouldn't take this guy....I would also like to hear why we should...I have my opinion, what is yours?

AS PER ROTOWORLD & PFT:
Martellus Bennett - TE - Cowboys Free agent Martellus Bennett confirmed on PFT Live Friday that he wants to be a clear-cut starter on his next team.
Bennett has more upside than any tight end on the free agent market, so he may get his wish. "I want to be the No. 1 guy," Bennett said. "I feel like I'm a 60-catch-plus guy on a team, so I want to be in a system where I could do (that)." Bennett is already one of the league's top blocking tight ends. He has the size (6'6/267) and speed (4.6s) to be a receiving threat, as well. Source: PFT Live on NBC Sports Mar 9 - 2:24

#1: Bennett always seems to get the best of us...addition by subtraction alone is good, but...
#2...Big target with speed and decent hands and excels at blocking.
#3...weakens Cowboys by them not having him...oh, I made that point....sorry, but necessary

nygsb42champs
03-09-2012, 04:01 PM
I would take him here. They have always talked about his potential. Hopefully a change of scenery would bring out the best in him. Plus he should come pretty cheap by todays standards.

gmen0820
03-09-2012, 04:04 PM
If he can stop being an idiot and improve his work ethic, he might be a top 5 TE. His run blocking has been solid, his hands a little inconsistent, but being a top guy with a lot of targets can change that.

Redeyejedi
03-09-2012, 04:16 PM
Well if he wants playing time the Giants would be a good place for him. With Ballard hurt whoever steps in here will be the guy. if he is willing to take less money to get a starting role and play with a great team he could get his chance. Something tells me he will chose more money though. He is an outstanding run blocker he would fit the Giants well

Kruunch
03-09-2012, 04:26 PM
I want to hear from anyone on this board why we shouldn't take this guy....I would also like to hear why we should...I have my opinion, what is yours?

AS PER ROTOWORLD & PFT:
Martellus Bennett - TE - Cowboys Free agent Martellus Bennett confirmed on PFT Live Friday that he wants to be a clear-cut starter on his next team.
Bennett has more upside than any tight end on the free agent market, so he may get his wish. "I want to be the No. 1 guy," Bennett said. "I feel like I'm a 60-catch-plus guy on a team, so I want to be in a system where I could do (that)." Bennett is already one of the league's top blocking tight ends. He has the size (6'6/267) and speed (4.6s) to be a receiving threat, as well. Source: PFT Live on NBC Sports Mar 9 - 2:24

#1: Bennett always seems to get the best of us...addition by subtraction alone is good, but...
#2...Big target with speed and decent hands and excels at blocking.
#3...weakens Cowboys by them not having him...oh, I made that point....sorry, but necessary

Cons:

1) Not consistant

2) Poor work ethic.

3) Wants to be "the guy" and we don't run that kind of system for TEs.

Pros:

1) Awesome upside if potential is realized and the Giants feel they can get more out of him and keep him happy.

Vtgmenfan89
03-09-2012, 04:26 PM
Isn't he an RFA though? I thought I remembered reading that somewhere...if not however I think it'd be a great signing. He definitely has solid upside and would fit our system well. He does not have the stats to demand big money as he has not scored a TD since his rookie year, so he'd almost definitely come cheap. Especially if given an opportunity to start. We arguably have the biggest need for a TE in the league, so it'd also be a good situation for him to walk into. I say let's bring him in for a visit! Then we can truly go BPA at 32

G-Man67
03-09-2012, 04:48 PM
well this is the kinda player we could justify ... he's stuck behind Witten, but he may be ready to be a #1 TE, so it would make sense ... i think that other TE deal we are hearing about won't cost us much money

BornBrooklyn
03-09-2012, 04:58 PM
Giants have better leadership & structure. Maybe he can prosper here...

hungrrrry
03-09-2012, 05:11 PM
Giants have better leadership &amp; structure. Maybe he can prosper here...I tend to agree...with Coughlin, I believe he inspires and encourages a good work ethic and since Coughlin's policy is just that and it is instilled in all these players, it would make for a positive environment for Bennett to work out his ills...if he truely has any!</P>

I'd like to see this move made, especially with Ballard signed for another year. Bennett could see some great production and be encouraged to have a break out season...when Ballard comes back, he could assume more of the blocking duties as Bennett transform more into a blocking/pass-catching TE</P>

jomo
03-09-2012, 05:32 PM
I like it. If JR can work the $$ part of it into the system, he gives us alot of what we need to find in the off season.

JesseJames
03-09-2012, 05:48 PM
bringing in Bennet would be a big plus in that it would solve the problem at TE and it would also change the draft for us and allow us to go after different needs...

gmen46
03-09-2012, 06:26 PM
Cons-
1) He was projected by Cowboys to be their one-two punch at TE, with Whitten. Never happened in 4 years with the team

2) In 2011, another TE took his place on the TE depth chart. Why?

3) His best season was his rookie year, 2008. He did have 4 TDs, but that was the last year he scored ANY TDs. He also had a total of only 20 receptions, and that was his 2nd best year in receptions. 20.

4) Career total of 85 catches, 846 yards, 4 TDs. In 4 years.

5) Ballard has 604 yards in only 38 receptions, and 4 TDs in his first and only season. Plus, his per catch ave is over 15 yds, as opposed to Bennet's 10 yds.

(I know Ballard will be unavailable for at least the first 6 games, if not more, next year; my point is that Ballard, a practice squad player 1 year ago, has in just 1 season, performed vastly superior to Bennet, who was a fairly highly touted draft pick for the Cowboys 4 years ago. WHY would we ever consider taking Bennet as a FA, unless he were very cheap? And if he were willing to come cheap, why would he go out on the FA market in the first place?).

6) Bennet has publicly stated his goal in FA is to land with a team where he can be the starting TE right out the gate, and get approx 60 catches for the season. Undrstandable, and reasonable goal for a TE entering the market place.

But that hasn't happened for a TE here since 2007, with Shockey. Is anyone here claiming Bennet--after 4 years of mundane back-up performance with Dallas who utilizes the TE far more than the Giants have in years--is the next Shockey of 2002?

And if he's not at young Shockey level of talent, why should he--or the Giants--expect he will play at that level with us, for the first time in his career (in his 5th year in the league, at that)?

Giants will not be suitable for Bennet, not to mention vice versa.

Pros--
1) ??????

2) If he agrees to less than $1 million per year, only. Maybe.

bearbryant
03-09-2012, 10:57 PM
I'd entertain looking at him before either clark or tamme! He's a 270 pounder who blocks well enough to set the edge, keep eli safe if needed and catches the ball most of the time. The rest of the comparisons aside, since ballard is going to be unavailable for a while next season , we need to find this kind of a TE to add a good TE to the team until Jake gets back, then they can duke it out!

Flip Empty
03-09-2012, 10:59 PM
I'd like him to be a Giant. I dropped his name on here a month ago and got a "hell no" haha

JJC7301
03-10-2012, 12:20 AM
What's the point of signing him? If we sign him, that means the end of Ballard and FA's cost a lot of money and hurt the cap.

I just don't get the obsession with the TE. Pascoe's not bad and a less expensive option can hold down the position until Ballard gets back.

Spend the money on the o-line. That's where the real concern is. If it's not good, then the run game will continue to suffer and the passing game won't be as good either.

G-Men Surg.
03-10-2012, 12:51 AM
He has to prove he walks the walk and talks the talk first. He says he wants to be the No. 1 and play in a system that gives him a lot of touches and I understand where he's coming from with that remarks playing behind a no. 1 like Witten but he has to fight and win it first. Don't want him here if he brings the attitude that he will get the starting nod just by signing a contract. I guess I have more questions about him than answers.

Bohemian
03-10-2012, 12:55 AM
We need a TE badly... so if you think that there is a guy that can take over at the position, regardless of who it is, you bring him in. We need a TE now!

Gmenfan87
03-10-2012, 12:59 AM
The dude is a space cadet and could become a distraction. Give me Shinacoe instead.

Flip Empty
03-10-2012, 01:42 AM
What's the point of signing him? If we sign him, that means the end of Ballard and FA's cost a lot of money and hurt the cap.

I just don't get the obsession with the TE. Pascoe's not bad and a less expensive option can hold down the position until Ballard gets back.

Spend the money on the o-line. That's where the real concern is. If it's not good, then the run game will continue to suffer and the passing game won't be as good either.
Why would it mean the end of Ballard? Several teams use two TEs successfully. Bennett's blocking ability would help the run game.

giantsfan420
03-10-2012, 03:08 AM
i am absolutely all for this. he has virtually the same if not better athleticism than fleener. already a better blocker.

the whole "he hasn't done anything in 4 years" argument is moot bc Dallas runs through Witten and they've had talent at WR. not enough balls to go around for him to be successful imo. It'd be like saying Bear Pascoe sucks bc he doesn't contribute a lot in the passing game, well we don't ask that of him so its unfair to say that about him.

I could absolutely see him being a big time threat with Eli at the helm. If Eli could virtually make Ballard produce, imagine what a guy like Bennet who is twice the talent of Ballard could do.

And he wasn't saying "I want to be the #1 guy of the offense" he was saying he wants to be the guy at TE, big difference. And he wasn't saying "I want 60 catches a season" he was saying he sees himself as being that kind of TE who can do that if needed.

He is absolutely an athletic specimen and would be an immediate red zone threat. He could stretch the field, challenge the seam routes, and work the middle of the field as well as being an extremely effective blocker.
And for those who say he has poor work ethic, thats just not true. The one knock on him coming into the league was he virtually had no idea how to be a blocker. He worked hard at that and look at how well he is at the aspect of his game.

You can't judge him by his lack of production bc he was behind a possible HOF in Witten. Vernon Davis would have poor production if he had to play behind Witten...

Absolutely in love with this idea especially considering he will be virtually cheap as possible, it could really allow us to take the BPA and not BPA for need. Heck, we could sign him AND draft Fleener and use one or the other out of the slot and always get that mismatch vs the nickel db or safety/lb.

Plus, I am eternally grateful for what Ballard did for us this past season. But your kidding yourself if you can't admit that he reached a sort of peak last season bc he simply didn't have the athleticism to continually get better. We've seen Ballards max, and while that is him being a solid player, when you can improve your roster you do. And us re-signing him isn't a deterrent as it was such a petty contract. We could still keep him on as the 2 or 3 te too...and having our te's be bennet and ballard and having little invested from a monetary standpoint is far from a bad thing...all for this and hopefully reese is too.

My dream offseason- we sign bennet, re-sign Smith. draft a RB, OL, and S (hopefully Barran is our 1rst round pick)

we already have a stacked roster sans the TE and RB position...I fail to see any con for the signing of Bennet.

Flip Empty
03-10-2012, 03:13 AM
Faark, your posts are always novels haha. But I fully agree with your points. Bennett has the potential to become an elite TE in the Giants' offense.

giantsfan420
03-10-2012, 03:21 AM
Faark, your posts are always novels haha. But I fully agree with your points. Bennett has the potential to become an elite TE in the Giants' offense.

haha sorry. i dont have the ability to make generic broad statements and support them with my reasoning. i supposed i could just type out my post, then highlight everything except my last sentence and delete it. lol.

but yeah def think bennet could be a beast here and it opens up possibilities for other positions.

RagTime Blue
03-10-2012, 04:32 AM

haha sorry. i dont have the ability to make generic broad statements and support them with my reasoning. i supposed i could just type out my post, then highlight everything except my last sentence and delete it. lol.

but yeah def think bennet could be a beast here and it opens up possibilities for other positions.

Good to see some fans do their research.

If we take Barran, I think Rolle should be looking over his shoulder. Would you agree?

giantsfan420
03-10-2012, 05:12 AM

Good to see some fans do their research.*

If we take Barran, I think Rolle should be looking over his shoulder.* Would you agree?

well thats tough. we love that 4-2-5 formation. and grant is a FA. and honestly, if we were to draft barran, i couldn't see the need to change up into a more traditional 4-3 team.

I'd say rolle would look over his shoulder only near his contract ending, or if he were to refuse a renegotiation of his contract if we needed to bc of cap situation. like if we had barran on the roster right now, I'd say rolle would have to look over his shoulder bc the team could say "take 2 mil less or we'll release you" and be ok with that bc we had a guy waiting in the wings. and plus rolle prob wouldn't get a contract worth as much as the current one by testing the market.

but those are the only two situations i could see where rolle's job would be in danger. to be honest, i've been very pleased with his play this season and last season. and i think he can still get better...by a lot. it wouldn't surprise me if next season, instead of people looking at his salary and going "he's ripping us off" people might be saying "we're ripping him off" bc I think as a Free Safety, he could actually be a nightmare for opposing offenses.

We use Phillips right now as that deep centerfield guy, and while he has been excellent in that role, I actually think he's better suited to be near the LOS and do what Grant/Rolle do. Phillips wasn't back to his old self so Fewell himself said he was almost protecting him by having him play deep. With Rolle playing that deep position, I could see him having a HUGE season. In fact, if we are able to allow him to play FS bc our roster won't restrict it, I'll go on record and say Rolle could be a DPOY candidate.