PDA

View Full Version : Breaking: Giants will announce release of Brandon Jacobs

Spedracer
03-09-2012, 03:57 PM
@MikeGarafolo: BREAKING: Giants will release RB Brandon Jacobs today, per a source. Sides couldn't come to a financial agreement. Blog coming. #nyg

Per Mike Garafolo's twitter.

Link to article by Mike Garafolo (http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/03/giants_will_release_brandon_ja.html?utm_source=twi tterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_term=%23nyg)

BigBlue1971
03-09-2012, 03:59 PM
if this is true, good luck BJ you were instrumental in bringing us two rings. </P>

best of luck!</P>

nYg24
03-09-2012, 03:59 PM
thread #3, all i gotta say is WAAAHHOOOOOOOO

dave56dj
03-09-2012, 04:01 PM
This does not mean he will not be back - they could still re-sign him but this will alleviate the cap a little more, not having to pay his bonus.

If he is gone for good i think we lost a guy who set the tone with his ability to destroy defenders both with the ball and on chip blocks - he was a bully and that aint a bad thing in the NFL - still i trust if he goes Jerry will find a nice replacement if one isn't already on the team.

bLuereverie
03-09-2012, 04:02 PM
Does he just go to the other locker room across the building?

bELIeve_in_Giants
03-09-2012, 04:04 PM
Does he just go to the other locker room across the building?</P>

Yikes. I can't imagine him with Rex Ryan. </P>

bELIeve_in_Giants
03-09-2012, 04:04 PM
Does he just go to the other locker room across the building?</P>

Yikes. I can't imagine him with Rex Ryan. </P>

nYg24
03-09-2012, 04:05 PM
This does not mean he will not be back - they could still re-sign him but this will alleviate the cap a little more, not having to pay his bonus.

If he is gone for good i think we lost a guy who set the tone with his ability to destroy defenders both with the ball and on chip blocks - he was a bully and that aint a bad thing in the NFL - still i trust if he goes Jerry will find a nice replacement if one isn't already on the team.

tip toe burglar

NYfanatic
03-09-2012, 04:05 PM
Bye bye jacobs. I think finding a a good #2 RB wont be hard.

King Sully
03-09-2012, 04:06 PM
so long old friend.

BlueSanta
03-09-2012, 04:09 PM
as I said, I think there is a good chance we resign him after he tests the market.

TheEnigma
03-09-2012, 04:10 PM
Not surprised honestly.

dave56dj
03-09-2012, 04:11 PM
tip toe burglar? you have to be kidding - some fans are so lost its insane - This guy has been a bruiser his whole career. Due to a O line that graded out as one of the worst in the league this year our RB;s were forced into cutback style running - not Jacobs strong suit - but he chipped like a beast and when given a hole he abused LB;s and safeties - is he the best back in the league? not even close - but you better bet that no defender in the league liked tackling him one bit - that will be missed - and although i am very certain reese will find a way to replace it - to not give him credit for what he did while here is just silly.

jppmvp90
03-09-2012, 04:13 PM
tip toe burglar? you have to be kidding - some fans are so lost its insane - This guy has been a bruiser his whole career. Due to a O line that graded out as one of the worst in the league this year our RB;s were forced into cutback style running - not Jacobs strong suit - but he chipped like a beast and when given a hole he abused LB;s and safeties - is he the best back in the league? not even close - but you better bet that no defender in the league liked tackling him one bit - that will be missed - and although i am very certain reese will find a way to replace it - to not give him credit for what he did while here is just silly.
a bruiser? LOL the guy could never convert a 4th and 1 or 3rd and 1 for his life

King Sully
03-09-2012, 04:14 PM

+1

MikeIsaGiant
03-09-2012, 04:15 PM
a bruiser? LOL the guy could never convert a 4th and 1 or 3rd and 1 for his life

He really couldn't, but I wonder if he could with a legitimate o-line

King Sully
03-09-2012, 04:16 PM

to be fair when jacobs was in on 3rd/4th and 1 EVERYONE in the stadium knew what was coming, the oline got pummeled everytime.

hungrrrry
03-09-2012, 04:16 PM
This does not mean he will not be back - they could still re-sign him but this will alleviate the cap a little more, not having to pay his bonus. If he is gone for good i think we lost a guy who set the tone with his ability to destroy defenders both with the ball and on chip blocks - he was a bully and that aint a bad thing in the NFL - still i trust if he goes Jerry will find a nice replacement if one isn't already on the team.I have mixed feeling about jacobs...I am glad they cut him, because his production did not warrent the cap hit. If they can sign him for 1.5 mil a season then he would be decent to have...but I think we need to go after Peyton Hillis or Michael Bush to outright replace BJ.

King Sully
03-09-2012, 04:17 PM
This does not mean he will not be back - they could still re-sign him but this will alleviate the cap a little more, not having to pay his bonus. If he is gone for good i think we lost a guy who set the tone with his ability to destroy defenders both with the ball and on chip blocks - he was a bully and that aint a bad thing in the NFL - still i trust if he goes Jerry will find a nice replacement if one isn't already on the team.I have mixed feeling about jacobs...I am glad they cut him, because his production did not warrent the cap hit. If they can sign him for 1.5 mil a season then he would be decent to have...but I think we need to go after Peyton Hillis or Michael Bush to outright replace BJ.

Hillis is an interesting thought.

TheEnigma
03-09-2012, 04:17 PM
I like Jacobs but not for as much as he was scheduled to make. If he finds out that his value isn't as great as it was in the open market and wants to return, I'd be happy to have him. He isn't injured that often and is also a good pass blocker.

Morehead State
03-09-2012, 04:18 PM
tip toe burglar? you have to be kidding - some fans are so lost its insane - This guy has been a bruiser his whole career. Due to a O line that graded out as one of the worst in the league this year our RB;s were forced into cutback style running - not Jacobs strong suit - but he chipped like a beast and when given a hole he abused LB;s and safeties - is he the best back in the league? not even close - but you better bet that no defender in the league liked tackling him one bit - that will be missed - and although i am very certain reese will find a way to replace it - to not give him credit for what he did while here is just silly. +1</P>

1. #4 All Time Giants rusher</P>

2. 4.5 YPC, (only Tiki is higher of the top 5)</P>

3. Two Superbowl championships</P>

Guys who find some joy that a great all time Giant is being released should be ashamed of themselves. I'm not saying its a bad move because I completely get it (cap wise).</P>

But lets show a little appreciation for a great Giant.</P>

MikeIsaGiant
03-09-2012, 04:18 PM

I think Hillis is a high risk though, as for Michael bush - not a high risk

jomo
03-09-2012, 04:19 PM
It is better that the market tells BJ what he's actually worth than the Giants trying to do that. It will sound like they are insulting him. If we get him back at the right price, he fits a certain role for us. If not, c'est la vie. He will be remembered for his contributions and role in 2 SB's but every year is a blank sheet of paper and the $$ part needs to fit together like a jigsaw puzzle. Signing him is not any kind of priority.

jppmvp90
03-09-2012, 04:20 PM

I think Hillis is a high risk though, as for Michael bush - not a high risk

someone will pay bush to be a full time back like the bengals. hillis is a headcase

Hooligans
03-09-2012, 04:20 PM
@MikeGarafolo: BREAKING: Giants will release RB Brandon Jacobs today, per a source. Sides couldn't come to a financial agreement. Blog coming. #nyg

Per Mike Garafolo's twitter. No article prepared yet.
Its about time and long overdue. Jacobs isn't worth the money on his contract and his tip-toe style of running the ball is atrocious. The Giant Management has done a great job in the draft and free agency....except for power backs as their last two, Ron Dayne and Brandon Jacobs have been overpaid tip-toe ballerinas....maybe this draft they will get a REAL powr back to go along with Bradshaw.

jax5338
03-09-2012, 04:21 PM
was never his #1 fan because of his inability to convert 3rd and 4th down and shorts, but i will miss him. he had a big mouth and didnt always back it up but he did play hard and cared about the team first. earned big time points when he took a pay cut so they could sign ahmad. not the greatest perfomer recently but at least his heart was still there.

Hooligans
03-09-2012, 04:23 PM
It is better that the market tells BJ what he's actually worth than the Giants trying to do that. It will sound like they are insulting him. If we get him back at the right price, he fits a certain role for us. If not, c'est la vie. He will be remembered for his contributions and role in 2 SB's but every year is a blank sheet of paper and the $$ part needs to fit together like a jigsaw puzzle. Signing him is not any kind of priority.
The Giants don't want Jacobs back as they can get a better powerback in the draft, and he will cost a lot less, be younger and better.

Spedracer
03-09-2012, 04:23 PM
Link to article by Mike Garafolo (http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/03/giants_will_release_brandon_ja.html?utm_source=twi tterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_term=%23nyg)

I can't say I didn't see this coming. I think BJ has value as a blocking back, and still has some left in the tank. Certainly not as shocked as when I read Boss signed with OAK.

King Sully
03-09-2012, 04:26 PM
The Giants don't want Jacobs back as they can get a better powerback in the draft, and he will cost a lot less, be younger and better.

if we go draft, in the later rounds i like vick ballard

Morehead State
03-09-2012, 04:28 PM
was never his #1 fan because of his inability to convert 3rd and 4th down and shorts, but i will miss him. he had a big mouth and didnt always back it up but he did play hard and cared about the team first. earned big time points when he took a pay cut so they could sign ahmad. not the greatest perfomer recently but at least his heart was still there.</P>

First of all he converted the biggest 4th and 1 in Giants history.</P>

Secondly, everybody misclassifies Jacobs. He's a tailback. He runs upright and has long legs. He has never been the prototypical power back. He has always needed a head of steam to be effective.</P>

Its who he has always been. I will say that he was one hell of a 4th round pick from Southern Ill.</P>

Failure to appreciate BJ's importance to this team, both in production and as a teammate, is a disgrace to all Giants fans.</P>

Hooligans
03-09-2012, 04:35 PM

if we go draft, in the later rounds i like vick ballard
Exactly, there are some great RBs in the draft that the Giants might actually look at with their first or second pick if they are around. I di agree with you though that they can get a great back in the middle to late rounds, just like they got Ahmad Bradshaw.

gmen46
03-09-2012, 04:35 PM
tip toe burglar? you have to be kidding - some fans are so lost its insane - This guy has been a bruiser his whole career. Due to a O line that graded out as one of the worst in the league this year our RB;s were forced into cutback style running - not Jacobs strong suit - but he chipped like a beast and when given a hole he abused LB;s and safeties - is he the best back in the league? not even close - but you better bet that no defender in the league liked tackling him one bit - that will be missed - and although i am very certain reese will find a way to replace it - to not give him credit for what he did while here is just silly. +1</P>

1.* #4 All Time Giants rusher</P>

2. 4.5 YPC,* (only Tiki is higher of the top 5)</P>

3.* Two Superbowl championships</P>

*Guys who find some joy that a great all time Giant is being released should be ashamed of themselves.* I'm not saying its a bad move because I completely get it (cap wise).</P>

But lets show a little appreciation for a great Giant.</P>

Well said, MS.

Couldn't say it better (and you know I tried! :) )

Martyr
03-09-2012, 04:38 PM

+1 </P>

Hooligans
03-09-2012, 04:39 PM
was never his #1 fan because of his inability to convert 3rd and 4th down and shorts, but i will miss him. he had a big mouth and didnt always back it up but he did play hard and cared about the team first. earned big time points when he took a pay cut so they could sign ahmad. not the greatest perfomer recently but at least his heart was still there.</P>

Secondly, everbody misclassified Jacobs.* He's a tailback.* He runs upright and has long legs.* He has never been the prototypical power back.* He has always needed a head of steam to be effective.</P>

Its who he has always been.* I will say that he was one hell of a 4th round pick from Southern Ill.</P>

Failure to appreciate BJ's importance to this team, both in production and as a teammate, is a disgrace to all Giants fans.</P>

Whatever, Jacobs was a luxury, not a need, for the Giants as Bradshaw was clearly the better back......and Bradshaw would have got the 4th and 1 easier than Jacobs did because Bradshaw was the better short yardage back.

jax5338
03-09-2012, 04:42 PM

Secondly, everbody misclassified Jacobs.* He's a tailback.* He runs upright and has long legs.* He has never been the prototypical power back.* He has always needed a head of steam to be effective.</P>

Its who he has always been.* I will say that he was one hell of a 4th round pick from Southern Ill.</P>

??? i said i will miss him so chill out nutbar.

and the fact that you said "he needs a head of steam to be effective" is a reason i was never a huge fan of him as a #1 back. he thrived in '08 off of the gaping holes provided of the oline, but never had the speed and quickness of other #1 backs. plus, when he did break away, he oftentimes got ankle tackled by DBS.

that being said i did love his fire. i questioned his commitment to the team until he took less money so ahmad could stay.

dont stand there and tell me jacobs wasnt just as frustrating as eli at times the past few seasons morehead, and i know you have no problem with voicing your opinion there, so im gonna say mine here.

EDIT: and yes the 4th and 1 in the super bowl was a big play, but that doesnt make him GOOD at converting short yardage. david tyree made some great plays in that game too, does that make him a great receiver?

Sanntee31
03-09-2012, 04:43 PM
Sad? Somewhat. Surprised? Not at all.

Morehead State
03-09-2012, 04:44 PM

Secondly, everbody misclassified Jacobs. He's a tailback. He runs upright and has long legs. He has never been the prototypical power back. He has always needed a head of steam to be effective.</P>

Its who he has always been. I will say that he was one hell of a 4th round pick from Southern Ill.</P>

Whatever, Jacobs was a luxury, not a need, for the Giants as Bradshaw was clearly the better back......and Bradshaw would have got the 4th and 1 easier than Jacobs did because Bradshaw was the better short yardage back.</P>

BJ was always misused as a short yardage back. Long legs and an upright style. he is a tailback who needs a head of steam. When he got it he ran over people.</P>

He was what he was. And took a lot of shots in the knees for this team given his running style. I hope he doesn't turn out like Earl Campbell as a cripple because of it.</P>

Again, I don't think its a bad move, depending on who our RB's are next season, but a little appreciation is definately called for today.</P>

Morehead State
03-09-2012, 04:46 PM

Secondly, everbody misclassified Jacobs. He's a tailback. He runs upright and has long legs. He has never been the prototypical power back. He has always needed a head of steam to be effective.</P>

??? i said i will miss him so chill out nutbar. and the fact that you said "he needs a head of steam to be effective" is a reason i was never a huge fan of him as a #1 back. he thrived in '08 off of the gaping holes provided of the oline, but never had the speed and quickness of other #1 backs. plus, when he did break away, he oftentimes got ankle tackled by DBS. that being said i did love his fire. i questioned his commitment to the team until he took less money so ahmad could stay. dont stand there and tell me jacobs wasnt just as frustrating as eli at times the past few seasons morehead, and i know you have no problem with voicing your opinion there, so im gonna say mine here. EDIT: and yes the 4th and 1 in the super bowl was a big play, but that doesnt make him GOOD at converting short yardage. david tyree made some great plays in that game too, does that make him a great receiver?</P>

It sounds like I was criticizing you but I wasn't. I quoted you to make the point that he DID pick up the huge 4th and 1 in SB 42.</P>

The rest wasn't aimed at you. Sorry.</P>

chasjay
03-09-2012, 04:49 PM
I'll let you guys hash out all the pluses and minuses. I know he accomplished a lot as a Giant and helped the Giants accomplish a lot. I know he was a team player. He always struck me as the kind of guy who'd help out a stranger with a flat tire - I always hate to see things not work out for folks like that. If it can work out with the money and our needs, I wouldn't mind seeing him back for another year or two.

swimeasy
03-09-2012, 04:50 PM
tip toe burglar? you have to be kidding - some fans are so lost its insane - This guy has been a bruiser his whole career. Due to a O line that graded out as one of the worst in the league this year our RB;s were forced into cutback style running - not Jacobs strong suit - but he chipped like a beast and when given a hole he abused LB;s and safeties - is he the best back in the league? not even close - but you better bet that no defender in the league liked tackling him one bit - that will be missed - and although i am very certain reese will find a way to replace it - to not give him credit for what he did while here is just silly.</P>

Agreed. It is truly unfair to put it all on BJ with the Oline situation as it was. Perhaps he will be back once he has an opportunity to vet the market. If not, I wish him well. As much as some of his public comments made me wince at times, he was a great emotionalpresence who loved to pump up the offense on game day and he was well thought of for it and very effective.</P>

RoanokeFan
03-09-2012, 04:56 PM

He gave it all he had and leaves as the 4th leading rushing in franchise history. Your elation is out of place.

myles2424
03-09-2012, 04:59 PM
Bye bye jacobs. I think finding a a good #2 RB wont be hard.
I wouldn't take it lightly......our #1 is hurt every year......

dave56dj
03-09-2012, 05:00 PM
Just a luxury? AB was our number one - actually that just happened recently and while AB is a better all around player he hasn't played 16 games since he was made number one - Jacobs was no luxury he was a neccesity and a damn good back.

He wasn't a power back? This is based on the fact that he didn't convert third and shorts often enough? This is the only way you decide this? Really? Please ask leron landry - charles woodson - brandon merwieather - or the 10 LB's a year he trucked - most back hope for one a year like that - Jacobs sent players into the ground countless times a year. Emmit was a great third and short back as was marcus allen - that doesn't make them power backs.

Also note even at 265 if you run into and unblocked 310 pound DT you probably aren't picking up a first. The 3rd and short spots are predicated on the fact that everyone knows whats coming - power alone is not enough - o line has to block it up and back must find a crease - which explains emmitt - great line and great vision - not just pure power

Again Jacobs set a tone - again I agree as a 2nd back who rotates in his contract is to fat and this is the correct move and he still could be back. That said he was a nice back for us and ran with amazingly scary force.

Ron Dayne comparison? Youre just not watching the same games - please check out stats - they don't lie.

heavyhitter
03-09-2012, 05:03 PM
Can't say I'm really surprised by this.

Ja217
03-09-2012, 05:04 PM

He really couldn't, but I wonder if he could with a legitimate o-line

We have had a pretty legit oline the last few years aside from this past year...he still never converted...hence the reason he is well below league average on short yardage.

Then again I believe smaller quicker guys are better suited for that role anyway.

Good luck BJ

Gmen2005
03-09-2012, 05:04 PM
I've never been a big fan of him, but I thought they'd be able to get a deal worked out.

RoanokeFan
03-09-2012, 05:05 PM

No one should be surprised, but the joy being expressed by a few is mind boggling to me. This is the guy who restructured his contract last year so they could pay Bradshaw. He's the 4th all time team leading rusher.

Why not just wish him well and move on?

FBomb
03-09-2012, 05:09 PM
Good luck big guy....and thank you.</P>

heavyhitter
03-09-2012, 05:20 PM

No one should be surprised, but the joy being expressed by a few is mind boggling to me. This is the guy who restructured his contract last year so they could pay Bradshaw. He's the 4th all time team leading rusher.

I haven't even read what other poster wrote, just saw the thread title and posted. Jacobs put his heart into playing football for this team but at the end of the day the Giants have to do what's best for the team as well. Enjoyed watching the big fella though while he was here.

jomo
03-09-2012, 05:22 PM

He gave it all he had and leaves as the 4th leading rushing in franchise history. Your elation is out of place.
........also our all time leader in rushing TD's if I am not mistaken.

nykn72
03-09-2012, 05:22 PM
I was mad as hell after the philly game and his comments....but its like a family member you are mad at, after a little while all is good.I will have a little heavy heart with this one, I know its all about winning and business but even still...

kkr
03-09-2012, 05:36 PM
One of my favourites since his rookie season.

Those hating are people whose opinions are easily swayed by fat idiots like Warren Sapp coming up with tiptoe burglar nicknames etc. To you i say get a clue, get an opinion. To Sapp i say who has more rings, and no i dont mean donuts you fat slob.

Clearly his play declined this season but that was due to the Oline more than anything as evidenced by Bradshaws struggles also. Nice how Jacobs restructured to bring Bradshaw back but im a bit disappointed he didn't return the favour.

Im not surprised by the release, his cap number was way to high but he was willing to take a sizeable cut so maybe there is hope that we can pick him up if he doesn't find better value elsewhere.

#4 in franchise rushing yards
#3 in franchise ypc (rushers with more than 340 carries)
#1 in franchise rushing TD's
60 carries per fumble &gt; Barber, Bradshaw, Morris, Webster

What do Giants fans have against this guy? Give me one legitimate criticism. So he takes a while to get up to speed, so he gets stood up at the line. These things happen with big backs and incase you hadnt noticed we had the biggest of them all back there.

Yes he talks but he always backed it up. He hates Dallas, he loves the Giants and went to war against whoever the opponent was so i will miss him greatly and always hold him in very high regard. Plenty of great memories. Let me know if i have missed anyone off of the following: http://oi44.tinypic.com/5e73pk.jpg

FIFTY6G-MAN
03-09-2012, 05:45 PM
You try to run over the backs of our NON blocking Oline this past season and see how far youcould get. Most of the time he couldnt run 2 steps without a defender already in the backfield.

RoanokeFan
03-09-2012, 06:05 PM

........also our all time leader in rushing TD's if I am not mistaken.

I think that's right

RoanokeFan
03-09-2012, 06:08 PM
You try to run over the backs of our NON blocking Oline this past season and see how far youcould get. Most of the time he couldnt run 2 steps without a defender already in the backfield.

A situation I hope we address in FA and through the draft.

fletch842
03-09-2012, 06:10 PM

No one should be surprised, but the joy being expressed by a few is mind boggling to me.* This is the guy who restructured his contract last year so they could pay Bradshaw.* He's the 4th all time team leading rusher.

I've always liked BJ, and will miss his presence. I certainly understand the move, and don't necessarily disagree with it, but it still sucks.

Smurf
03-09-2012, 06:11 PM
Thank you for this. Great Giant who set the tone and didn't take any S***.
All the tip toe burglar nonsense is drivel by the talking head- ratings *****s on TV. Even tip toeing most people did not want to tackle him.
PS: I like your picture but I kinda remember Tedy Bruschi as a victim also.

OrangeGiant
03-09-2012, 06:11 PM
Say what you want about him, but we won 2 SB's with him and that's all that matters to me. He will always be a Giant in my eyes and he was better than some people want to give him credit for. He's the kind of guy you want on your team and you hate if he is on the other team. I hope things work out and he comes back, with an upgraded OL. This team didn't run the ball well-period. It wasn't just Jacobs.

RoanokeFan
03-09-2012, 06:14 PM
Say what you want about him, but we won 2 SB's with him and that's all that matters to me. He will always be a Giant in my eyes and he was better than some people want to give him credit for. He's the kind of guy you want on your team and you hate if he is on the other team. I hope things work out and he comes back, with an upgraded OL. This team didn't run the ball well-period. It wasn't just Jacobs.

[B]

radar-ray
03-09-2012, 06:17 PM
One of my favourites since his rookie season.

Those hating are people whose opinions are easily swayed by fat idiots like Warren Sapp coming up with tiptoe burglar nicknames etc.* To you i say get a clue, get an opinion.* To Sapp i say who has more rings, and no i dont mean donuts you fat slob.

Clearly his play declined this season but that was due to the Oline more than anything as evidenced by Bradshaws struggles also.* Nice how Jacobs restructured to bring Bradshaw back but im a bit disappointed he didn't return the favour.

Im not surprised by the release, his cap number was way to high but he was willing to take a sizeable cut so maybe there is hope that we can pick him up if he doesn't find better value elsewhere.

#4 in franchise rushing yards
#3 in franchise ypc (rushers with more than 340 carries)
#1 in franchise rushing TD's
60 carries per fumble > Barber, Bradshaw, Morris, Webster

What do Giants fans have against this guy?* Give me one legitimate criticism.* So he takes a while to get up to speed, so he gets stood up at the line.* These things happen with big backs and incase you hadnt noticed we had the biggest of them all back there.

Yes he talks but he always backed it up.* He hates Dallas, he loves the Giants and went to war against whoever the opponent was so i will miss him greatly and always hold him in very high regard.* Plenty of great memories.* Let me know if i have missed anyone off of the following:* http://oi44.tinypic.com/5e73pk.jpg

Very well said. We are losing a warrior, a great team player and a lot of fire and attitude that this team trives on. Thanks Brandon, and goodluck wherever you go.

radar-ray
03-09-2012, 06:18 PM

[B]
This.

Redeyejedi
03-09-2012, 06:22 PM
I honestly dont think anyone is going to pay him more then the Giants

calzonesays
03-09-2012, 06:40 PM
Not really surprised about him being released, kinda surprised they couldn't work out a contract restructure considering Eli Manning worked one out yesterday and he didn't even have to.

kkr
03-09-2012, 06:42 PM

I agree which is why i think he might come back. Although the following seems kind of final, like no going back:

<div class="entry-body">

After releasing Brandon Jacobs (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/2224/brandon-jacobs) on Friday afternoon New York Giants (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/new-york-giants) general manager Jerry Reese issued a statement calling the running back "a great Giant."</p>

"Brandon has truly been a great Giant," general manager Reese said.
"These times are always very hard for me. We had a very good
conversation today. We don't know what the future holds for Brandon, but
we wish only the very best for him and his family."</p>

Head coach Tom Coughlin also complemented Jacobs.</p>

"Brandon helped us win two world championships," Coughlin said. "He
always did what was in the best interest of team. No matter what you
asked him to do, he performed and played in whatever role we asked him
to perform. He really was a team player.</p>

"I have always felt like Brandon could be counted on. He's a guy that
is very, very good in meetings for me. He pays attention. He picks up
on the message. He loves the excitement of the game. He loves everything
about it - the pregame routine, the talking to his teammates, trying to
motivate his teammates. He loves every part of it."</p>

Jacobs has, at times, spoken rashly over the years. Friday, he had nothing but good things to say.</p>

"I might be leaving, but my name will stay. The fans have been great
for me. Everything has been good. A standup organization. I was very
close with a lot of people in the organization. They're all a bunch of
great people. The Mara family, the Tisch family, everybody's great. I
just want to thank them for the opportunity that they've given me.

"But
it's time to move on. We tried, couldn't reach an agreement. It's been
great, though. I can't say anything negative about anybody in the
organization. (Running backs coach) Jerald Ingram, hands down, probably
the best coach I've ever experienced as an athlete. He knows so much
about the game and I learned a lot from him as well."</p>

link (http://www.bigblueview.com/2012/3/9/2858413/brandon-jacobs-release-giants-jacobs-react)
</p>

</div>

chasjay
03-09-2012, 06:45 PM
Not really surprised about him being released, kinda surprised they couldn't work out a contract restructure considering Eli Manning worked one out yesterday and he didn't even have to.

Eli moved money around but didn't lose any money. Brandon had to take a cut in pay, which he was agreeable to - he just couldn't accept the amount of the cut the Giants wanted (needed) him to take. Not knocking Eli here - just pointing out the difference.

redbeardxxv
03-09-2012, 06:46 PM

Wow. Just wow. Jacobs was 50% on 4/1, and the whole world knew he was getting the ball those times. He still shoved it down their throats half the time. Aside from that, he is a big part of our Offensive heart, and played very well behind a diminishing line that got worse year after year. The camaraderie / competitiveness between him and AB helped push both players. I'd love to see him test the market, find a deal, and bring it to the GIANTS to beat. I think he'd prefer to stay in the area and on this team. Hopefully he's back next year with a new, lower price tag.

byron
03-09-2012, 06:50 PM
This new CBA was a pay cut for the players the last capped year in 2009 was 128 mil last year the cap was 120 mil or there abouts.....The Giants were right at the 09 cap you can onlyjuggle the money around so long before you have to make real paycuts...that time ishere....Players will be asked totake pay cutsthis one didn't work out.....Goodluck to BJ I hope he finds more money else wheretime will tell....Player that were under contract under the old CBA are going to feel the pain of this new CBA....over time it will all level out and teams like the Giants will get right with it.....

RoanokeFan
03-09-2012, 06:53 PM

I agree which is why i think he might come back. Although the following seems kind of final, like no going back:

<div class="entry-body">

After releasing Brandon Jacobs (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/2224/brandon-jacobs) on Friday afternoon New York Giants (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/new-york-giants) general manager Jerry Reese issued a statement calling the running back "a great Giant."</p>

"Brandon has truly been a great Giant," general manager Reese said.
"These times are always very hard for me. We had a very good
conversation today. We don't know what the future holds for Brandon, but
we wish only the very best for him and his family."</p>

Head coach Tom Coughlin also complemented Jacobs.</p>

"Brandon helped us win two world championships," Coughlin said. "He
always did what was in the best interest of team. No matter what you
asked him to do, he performed and played in whatever role we asked him
to perform. He really was a team player.</p>

"I have always felt like Brandon could be counted on. He's a guy that
is very, very good in meetings for me. He pays attention. He picks up
on the message. He loves the excitement of the game. He loves everything
about it - the pregame routine, the talking to his teammates, trying to
motivate his teammates. He loves every part of it."</p>

Jacobs has, at times, spoken rashly over the years. Friday, he had nothing but good things to say.</p>

"I might be leaving, but my name will stay. The fans have been great
for me. Everything has been good. A standup organization. I was very
close with a lot of people in the organization. They're all a bunch of
great people. The Mara family, the Tisch family, everybody's great. I
just want to thank them for the opportunity that they've given me.

"But
it's time to move on. We tried, couldn't reach an agreement. It's been
great, though. I can't say anything negative about anybody in the
organization. (Running backs coach) Jerald Ingram, hands down, probably
the best coach I've ever experienced as an athlete. He knows so much
about the game and I learned a lot from him as well."</p>

link (http://www.bigblueview.com/2012/3/9/2858413/brandon-jacobs-release-giants-jacobs-react)
</p>

</div>

I hope he lands with a team that can block [:D]

He really was a team first player

gian_18778
03-09-2012, 06:54 PM
2x Superbowl Champion that has given me highlights over his career, for me to cherish for the rest of my natural life i.e. New England, Green Bay, Washington, just to name a few.

Thanks Brandon.

FIFTY6G-MAN
03-09-2012, 07:03 PM

A situation I hope we address in FA and through the draft.
I hope you are right RO, I cant stand being Last or close to last in any standing except turnovers.[;)]

gmen46
03-09-2012, 07:20 PM
A lot of great comments in this thread regarding his contributions and his value to the team-in more than just statistical areas--and I want to echo them.

(Some idiotic comments about his "inabilities" here, as well, but I'll chalk those up to immaturity and ignorance).

The most intense flashes I will remember of him for a long time--

-trucking Landry (08?)
-trucking Woodson to begin the 2007 NFCC
-the 74 yard TD reception vs Dallas (09)
-Wilfork poking him in the eye, Three Stooges-style, at the end of a scuffle in the Week 17 2007 game vs the undefeated Patriots
-the 1000+ season he had in 11 games in 2007
-the 1000+ season he had in tandem with Ward's 1000+, 2008 (and the 5.0 ave in both seasons)
-the 4.5 career ypc average
-each of his franchise record 56 TDs
-4th and 1 on final drive of SB XLII
-Cheering on AB every run he made
-Taking a pay cut to help bring back AB

And providing my favorite headline for 2011, Christmas Eve---"TIME TO SHUT UP, FAT BOY!!"

LT_was_good
03-09-2012, 07:24 PM

I guess you missed Super Bowl XLII

jomo
03-09-2012, 07:29 PM
A lot of great comments in this thread regarding his contributions and his value to the team-in more than just statistical areas--and I want to echo them. (Some idiotic comments about his "inabilities" here, as well, but I'll chalk those up to immaturity and ignorance). The most intense flashes I will remember of him for a long time-- -trucking Landry (08?) -trucking Woodson to begin the 2007 NFCC -the 74 yard TD reception vs Dallas (09) -Wilfork poking him in the eye, Three Stooges-style, at the end of a scuffle in the Week 17 2007 game vs the undefeated Patriots -the 1000+ season he had in 11 games in 2007 -the 1000+ season he had in tandem with Ward's 1000+, 2008 (and the 5.0 ave in both seasons) -the 4.5 career ypc average -each of his franchise record 56 TDs -4th and 1 on final drive of SB XLII -Cheering on AB every run he made -Taking a pay cut to help bring back AB And providing my favorite headline for 2011, Christmas Eve---"TIME TO SHUT UP, FAT BOY!!"Don't forgot: "he's a big bellied coach who talks to much."

Roswell777
03-09-2012, 08:04 PM
A great Giant.

I already miss him.

The most fun to watch of any running back I've ever seen in a Giant uniform.

And he was a great team player.

NYGRealityCheck
03-09-2012, 08:09 PM
A lot of great comments in this thread regarding his contributions and his value to the team-in more than just statistical areas--and I want to echo them. (Some idiotic comments about his "inabilities" here, as well, but I'll chalk those up to immaturity and ignorance). The most intense flashes I will remember of him for a long time-- -trucking Landry (08?) -trucking Woodson to begin the 2007 NFCC -the 74 yard TD reception vs Dallas (09) -Wilfork poking him in the eye, Three Stooges-style, at the end of a scuffle in the Week 17 2007 game vs the undefeated Patriots -the 1000+ season he had in 11 games in 2007 -the 1000+ season he had in tandem with Ward's 1000+, 2008 (and the 5.0 ave in both seasons) -the 4.5 career ypc average -each of his franchise record 56 TDs -4th and 1 on final drive of SB XLII -Cheering on AB every run he made -Taking a pay cut to help bring back AB And providing my favorite headline for 2011, Christmas Eve---"TIME TO SHUT UP, FAT BOY!!"Don't forgot: "he's a big bellied coach who talks to much."

Trucking Urlacher
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_ICFc_RMC8

Trucking Roman Harper
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v330iK2rqFw

A great Giants RB for the ages...

foosball
03-09-2012, 08:26 PM
I know we don't think this way, but were saying goodbye to one of the great Giants. It's time to release him, but he was a fun player to watch for years, and one of my personal favorites.

Morehead State
03-09-2012, 09:13 PM
A lot of great comments in this thread regarding his contributions and his value to the team-in more than just statistical areas--and I want to echo them. (Some idiotic comments about his "inabilities" here, as well, but I'll chalk those up to immaturity and ignorance). The most intense flashes I will remember of him for a long time-- -trucking Landry (08?) -trucking Woodson to begin the 2007 NFCC -the 74 yard TD reception vs Dallas (09) -Wilfork poking him in the eye, Three Stooges-style, at the end of a scuffle in the Week 17 2007 game vs the undefeated Patriots -the 1000+ season he had in 11 games in 2007 -the 1000+ season he had in tandem with Ward's 1000+, 2008 (and the 5.0 ave in both seasons) -the 4.5 career ypc average -each of his franchise record 56 TDs -4th and 1 on final drive of SB XLII -Cheering on AB every run he made -Taking a pay cut to help bring back AB And providing my favorite headline for 2011, Christmas Eve---"TIME TO SHUT UP, FAT BOY!!"</P>

Not to mention that he was personally responsible for Jerry moving the play clock in the new stadium.</P>

JJC7301
03-09-2012, 10:57 PM

I hope that he does come back. Improve that o-line and he and AB will put up better #'s.

BJ is a unique RB -- same to lose him.

Guarantee the Jets sign him.

netplus
03-10-2012, 12:07 AM
Link:==> <a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIJwQiLKVFY>2009 Brandon Jacobs highlights</a>

Thanks for being a GREAT Giant Brandon. You will be missed.

Axels15
03-10-2012, 01:01 AM
I'm not necessarily happy about this, but I also think it was the only move possible. They definitely need to pick someone else up, with Bradshaw being injury prone, and Scott still an unknown commodity, for the most part. Ware is ware

gmen46
03-10-2012, 05:44 PM
A lot of great comments in this thread regarding his contributions and his value to the team-in more than just statistical areas--and I want to echo them. (Some idiotic comments about his "inabilities" here, as well, but I'll chalk those up to immaturity and ignorance). The most intense flashes I will remember of him for a long time-- -trucking Landry (08?) -trucking Woodson to begin the 2007 NFCC -the 74 yard TD reception vs Dallas (09) -Wilfork poking him in the eye, Three Stooges-style, at the end of a scuffle in the Week 17 2007 game vs the undefeated Patriots -the 1000+ season he had in 11 games in 2007 -the 1000+ season he had in tandem with Ward's 1000+, 2008 (and the 5.0 ave in both seasons) -the 4.5 career ypc average -each of his franchise record 56 TDs -4th and 1 on final drive of SB XLII -Cheering on AB every run he made -Taking a pay cut to help bring back AB And providing my favorite headline for 2011, Christmas Eve---"TIME TO SHUT UP, FAT BOY!!"</P>

Not to mention that he was personally responsible for Jerry moving the play clock in the new stadium.</P>

Definitely. I forgot that one. It belongs on my list of Brandon memories. Thanks!