PDA

View Full Version : Cap looking better

dave56dj
03-09-2012, 07:53 PM
Brandon was a unusual back and his size definitely set a tone - but at 4.4 mill he just couldn't be kept as a second guy - maybe he still comes back after testing the market.

That said with Eli's restructure and this cut we should now be safely under the cap and perhaps room for more of our own FA'S and some cheap guys to fill in needs.

No one has to say it agin but the GMEN look for stars in the first 3 rounds (and dont usually ever draft need - they find that in FA) and then fill up on need in later rounds. So everyone saying they will draft a back or lb or TE just hasn't been watching for years. While they may do that it's only if they think they are BPA.

NewYorkSwagg
03-09-2012, 08:37 PM
I have my thoughts on who the Giants will pick but I clearly have faith to put it in Reese hand when it come to football the guy make good adjustment. After this pass year with the Giants not really signing freeagents Reese new what was going on he knew he didn't need the big name players so I have much respect for the guy I have nothing negative to say I just sit and watch .

Flip Empty
03-09-2012, 08:42 PM
When is the cap limit actually announced?

Harooni
03-09-2012, 09:06 PM
Will look much better when they cut canty and rolle

tonyt830
03-09-2012, 09:23 PM
Will look much better when they cut canty and rolleI don't forsee one or both of them being cut. Maybe restructure, but not cut.

RoanokeFan
03-09-2012, 09:24 PM
Will look much better when they cut canty and rolle

Are you today's shock jock? [:O]

bLuereverie
03-09-2012, 09:29 PM
New TV revenue deals kick in 2014. That should boost the cap.

XxBigWhitxX
03-09-2012, 09:29 PM
If one of them goes it' Canty not Rolle. he and KP already have great chemistry and I like our DBs from the U.

RagTime Blue
03-09-2012, 09:38 PM
If one of them goes it' Canty not Rolle. he and KP already have great chemistry and I like our DBs from the U.

I think the opposite. We don't have anyone who can do what Canty does. Maybe if Austin progresses.

bearbryant
03-09-2012, 10:07 PM
What is it that canty does so well thats worth the dough we pay him?

JPP
03-09-2012, 10:09 PM

I think the opposite.* We don't have anyone who can do what Canty does.* Maybe if Austin progresses.

With the plethora of DT apparently in this draft their is a good chance one may fall to us and then it could be a good idea to cut Canty over Rolle. But I guess we just have to wait to see how the Giants get under the cap, good news is we won another SB before all these cap problems forced us to start cutting players.

giantsfan420
03-09-2012, 10:25 PM
What is it that canty does so well thats worth the dough we pay him?

its a common misconception that DT's who don't post big stats are overpaid. If every DT who didn't post big stats were to get cut, the FA pool for them would be 100 deep.

Truth is, only a couple of dt's will post dominant stat seasons, last season there wasn't even one dt with dominant stats, the season before Suh did but that was 1 out of how many???

Canty is an exceptional DT for things he does that don't go in the box score. He engages OL effectively which allows free blitzers or our de's to stunt through gapping ally's. He generates solid, consistent push up the middle. He does get sacks. He is stout vs the run game.

In our 6 game win streak that culminated in the SB victory, the argument could be made Canty was as significant as any of our defensive players.

VS NYJ-he had the safety that sealed the victory as well as consistent push up the middle and solid run defense.
VS DALLAS- he had a sack, and occupied the OL which allowed our de's to stunt up the middle and get sacks/pressures. He was also solid vs the run.
VS ATLANTA- extremely effective vs the run, and also pivotal in those 4th and 1 stops.
VS GREEN BAY- engaged the OL on one of Boley's sacks, also was the reason Osi was able to stunt and get through GB's OL untouched for that PIVOTAL strip sack fumble.
VS SF- solid against the run, and forced Alex Smith to his left into JPP and Tuck on that one sack where Smith jumped into it.
VS NE- helped collapse the interior of the line, helped force Brady out of the pocket, helped generate pressures from our DL. That safety, guess who was engaging their OL that allowed Tuck to stunt so effectively? You guessed it, Canty.

If anything, Canty could probably garner an even higher paying contract if he plays the entire season the way he played the final 6 games. Truth be told, he played at that level all season. He was also one of the locker room leaders and started the whole mantra of "we need to all play better but it starts with the guy in the mirror" (themselves individually)

Canty earned every last cent this past season, yes he maybe could lower his salary by a million or two, but he alone is not why we have cap issues.

I am stoked Canty is a Giant and expect a high level of performance for some time. Opposing OL cannot line up vs him 1v1 on passing downs, they will get destroyed...The one play Boley broke Romo's collarbone two seasons ago, it was bc Canty engaged the OL perfectly and created a huge alley for Boley to blitz through. Canty does a ton of things that won't show up on the box score, he's actually pretty damn dominant. But, I do agree with the notion he should in no way be the highest paid guy on our DL although he's a huge reason why our DE's have the success they do.

JJC7301
03-10-2012, 12:09 AM
Will look much better when they cut canty and rolleI don't forsee one or both of them being cut.* Maybe restructure, but not cut.
They need to be restructured downwards because $9 mil for Rolle is just too much. We spent because we needed him, but we just won a 2nd SB and we need cap space. The o-line needs help.

If Canty can continue to play like he did last year, then he's worth the $6mil.

And the cap is looking much better because we have to cut our own talent that we developed. BJ was a good leader on this team. This hurts more than I think most fans realize.